Carb Counters - low carb without artificial sweeteners? anyone?

FitMomEB
04-16-2007, 05:49 PM
I don't want to get into a debate about whether artificial sweeteners are healthy or not, it's a personal choice so that's that :smug:

However I would like to know if there's anyone who isn't using splenda, aspartame etc with their low-carb diet. I only use stevia, is anyone else using stevia for their coffee or perhaps desserts? I'd like to share recipes etc :)

RobinW
04-16-2007, 07:08 PM
I dont use stevia, but only because Im not sure about how to use it. So please share your recipes in the recipe section. I know I would appreciate it. :)

booklover
04-16-2007, 09:01 PM
You know, that's the one thing I don't like about the Southbeach diet -- too much reliance upon artificial sweetners. I just don't trust them. When I look at the nutrition labels, I don't like seeing Sugar 0g, but Sugar Alcohol 5g. What???? :?: And what, pray tell, is sucralose? Or sorbitol for that matter? You may have noticed that for many of the sugar-free desserts, the carbs are the same no matter what artificial sweetener they use. Makes you wonder exactly what is in that stuff.

So, I basically stay away from artificial sweeteners except for diet sodas which I limit to 1 a day max. Many days my only beverages are coffee, herbal tea and water.

When I feel the sweet craving coming on, I eat fruit in moderation. Apples are great for that. On the veggie side, there's always sugar snap peas and carrots (both are legal on Phase II) Also, I LOVE jicama, which has a slightly sweet taste to it. It is very crisp and filling. Jicama is okay at any phase on the diet.