Weight Loss Support - Is this progress?

View Full Version : Is this progress?

Nikaia
04-15-2007, 11:48 PM
Okay, I'm having one of those bad moments, the ones where you sit there and go "is this worth it? Is this all I'm ever going to see out of this? Why am I still doing this?"

So I thought, to cheer myself up, I could go find some old pics of me, and compare them to more recent shots to see the difference.

Scary thing is, despite about 15 lbs lost, I seriously can't see the difference. I'm hoping - desperately - that it's just my perception of myself playing havoc with me again. But I need some independent verification if I'm going to believe that, and I don't have anyone IRL that I want seeing the older shots. Or, ****, the recent shots either. I hate how I look in pics.

Do you guys see any difference here? The left pic is from sometime in October, 2006, at a family gathering (the face in the background is my dad, in case anyone cared). The one on the right is one I took about a month ago to show a friend online (okay, potential date. And isn't it telling that she stood me up?) what I look like. And I really don't see much difference between the two.

Thanks for putting up with my insecurities, you guys. You collectively rock.

http://img260.imageshack.us/img260/923/mebeforerh0.jpghttp://img260.imageshack.us/img260/249/march20072001kg8.jpg

Bean87
04-15-2007, 11:52 PM
are you kidding?? you actually look like you lost over 20 pounds. You have a lot more definition in your waist and face. But i think many of us can understand where you're coming from. you see yourself everyday and you gradually get thinner but your eyes get to accustomed to the continuously new you.
You Look Great! keep it up!!

redlight
04-15-2007, 11:54 PM
I see progress especially in your face.

I'm about the same height, and you look slimmer than I did when I weighed 174. What size are you?

Janie Canuck
04-16-2007, 12:02 AM
I totally see the difference - you're being too hard on yourself!! You're doing great, keep it up!

Heather
04-16-2007, 12:03 AM
I see it in your face AND your waist!!!

Have you tried on the jeans from pic #1 in a while?? Do they fit the same?

Nikaia
04-16-2007, 12:04 AM
Thank you guys. As far as sizing, I'm about three sizes at once, apparently. In tops, the 14/16 at Lane Bryant fits me very comfortably, but there's a little bit too much room around the waist in any top that's not stretchy-type material. But at normal stores, I'm an XL usually. Jeans? I'm mostly wearing a slightly elderly pair of size 16's, but I HAVE to have a belt or they'll slide down to the absolute bottom of my hips and hang there like my panties really NEED to play peekaboo with the world. I have a couple pairs of 14s that are wearable; I can zip and button them without too much issue, but they're snug enough to give me a bit of muffin-top and so I have to be really careful what shirts I wear those jeans with.

I guess the jeans are fitting better than they were at that point. I didn't used to need the belt, I just remembered that. I bought the belt in December, when I finally got sick of hitching my pants up one Saturday while I was out sailing and stopped at Kmart on my way home (which then led to the unfortunate purchase of a whole buch of Yule decor that I don't really need, but I have my own apartment for the first time this year, so I was really excited about that). And I'm trying to remember, but I think it used to buckle on hole #4 if I sucked it in, #3 if I wanted to be comfortable. It now buckles on #5, which is the tightest it gets, without the slightest hesitation. In fact, when I yank on the belt to buckle it in the morning, if I'm in a hurry I'll yank it an inch or so past where the last holes are and have to release it back.

Hunh. Perspective. I'm so glad I decided to bug you guys with this. :)

Nikaia
04-16-2007, 12:06 AM
Okay, you know what? I am thinking the jeans in pic 1 are not the 16s I've been wearing for the past few months. They're way darker, and these jeans are pretty faded. Those might actually be an old pair of size 18s I was given by my mom's neighbor after she lost a bunch of weight.

Wow, that makes me feel better. I swear I'd started to feel like I was going to be stuck as a size 16 forever...

Heather
04-16-2007, 12:08 AM
YAY!!!!!!! Perspective can be pretty great!!! :D

Congrats!!!!

Ilene
04-16-2007, 12:09 AM
Well, I see a difference in your face, your waist, your hips, your arms.... Great progress I'd say!! :bravo: on your weightloss...

Desiderata
04-16-2007, 12:13 AM
For what it's worth, I think you look FANTASTIC -- I see a huge difference between the photos (esp. in the face and waist, like others have said), and I think that girl who stood you up definitely missed out! (Seriously -- very, very pretty -- and you should be incredibly proud of how far you've come.)

Nikaia
04-16-2007, 12:16 AM
I'm SO relieved. I'm serious, I was getting into a major funk over this, and it's the kind of mood that can trigger a trip to 7-11 for some seriously off-plan junk food. Yay! I have PERSPECTIVE! :idea:

Thank you guys so much. I'm starting a 3-week self-challenge tomorrow morning, so the encouragement (not to mention the perspective, because did I mention that? I have PERSPECTIVE now!) is really helpful. :tread:

maalisse
04-16-2007, 12:27 AM
Face, arms, waist, hips, legs...I see difference in all of them. :)

I know where you're coming from; I'm at the 15 lb mark, too, and I don't see much difference in myself, even though others say they do.

MAMA2CHUNKEYMONKEY
04-16-2007, 12:59 AM
I see it for sure! Your arms look great!

Kery
04-16-2007, 02:19 AM
I see the differences as well. :)

But it's true that the perception we have of ourselves can be truly flawed at times. I still have a hard time finding the differences now compared to when I was 10 kgs heavier (that's something like 22 lbs I think?), while I KNOW there are differences! Maybe it's because we're so used to our old bodies, and need more than just a few weeks (months... years? ;)) of adjustment in order to be able to realize!

junebug41
04-16-2007, 02:28 AM
Nikaia, your figure is so much more defined in the second pic. Trust me!

You look fabulous!

BlueToBlue
04-16-2007, 04:15 AM
I can definitely see a difference! Your arms look thinner, your hips and thighs are definitely thinner, and your face is thinner. Your waist is also much more defined. You look smaller than a size 14/16.

You are doing fantastic. It also looks to me like you are toning up quite a bit; are you working out?

tsatske
04-16-2007, 05:30 AM
Did you notice that in your newer pic, not only do you have a waist, but you can see light between your waist and you arms? did you convince yourself that was just the way you were holding your arms? I don't think so :). Good job. Keep going.
What is your mini-challenge? Have you considered putting up a tracker for it?

Nikaia
04-16-2007, 10:46 AM
Did you notice that in your newer pic, not only do you have a waist, but you can see light between your waist and you arms? did you convince yourself that was just the way you were holding your arms?

Um...yeah, actually. I also convinced myself that the fact that I only have one chin in the second photo was because of different lighting and because I'm not smiling as widely.:blah:

I have been working out...sorta. Off and on. That's actually kind of the bulk of this mini-challenge I'm doing - it's all about the exercise, because I'm normally so flaky about it. I've actually promised myself not to weigh myself at all until after the challenge is over, mostly because the constant fluctuation was driving me batty.

:thanks:

lumifan4ever
04-16-2007, 11:03 AM
Girl....You look GREAT!!! I can see such an improvement. Arms, face, shoulders, hips, waist!!! All of it is soooo much smaller. You and I started at about the same weight and height. I started at 196 at 5'6". I had to take pics to be able to see the difference too. You are doing an AMAZING job. Don't stop. Keep focused. You can do this!!!! Congrats on the 15 pound loss!! Just keep going to the next 15 and keep toning up!!!

Nikaia
04-16-2007, 11:18 AM
Lumifan, you are officially my "look! It's actually possible!" inspiration, since we started around the same weight and have similar heights. Part of my discouragement was that I really felt like it just *wasn't possible* to weigh less for my body, somehow. Don't ask how the logic worked on that one.:rolleyes: But here you are, living proof that it IS possible to go from where I was to where I want to go. :)

lumifan4ever
04-16-2007, 11:40 AM
Weird...I posted a reply and it's not here. Okay...well, never mind, now i see my post. weird again!!

BackPorchPoet
04-16-2007, 12:53 PM
I can tell a difference in your arms. It's always harder to see yourself the way you really are, know what I mean? You look beautiful... your efforts have definitely been worth it! :) Keep up the good work!!

JasonsLea
04-16-2007, 12:56 PM
Your face, arms, and hips are slimmer. You are so cute!

sewlora
04-17-2007, 10:44 AM
I can definitely see differences! Congrats!! :carrot:

Lafayette
04-17-2007, 02:47 PM
You look great!

I saw you mentioned this started because you were stood up on an online date. Keep your chin up- it's rough out there! You never know if your prospective dates post more flattering pictures or introduce themselves as something they wish they were, then chicken out when it's time to meet. You deserve a great person who is set on being who they want to be in the world, not online!

Way to go on the 14 pounds!

finn
04-18-2007, 05:42 AM
Totally - your waist, face, arms, legs....all smaller and more defined!

Its easy to not see the changes....****, after 76lbs its hard for me to see changes. But trust us...with the pictures above, there definitely is!

Runundefined
04-18-2007, 11:07 AM
You look fantastic!!.. I can absolutely see the difference as well.. you are very pretty!;)

JamieY
04-18-2007, 08:52 PM
I can totally see the difference! You look really good...keep it up. By the way, you are so lucky you live in Santa Cruz, I wish I lived there. We visit there about 20 times a year, lol, we just love it there!

Jeannette311
04-18-2007, 09:32 PM
I can definitely see a difference!

I'm feeling pretty low myself... I feel like I'm never going to look liek I used to, and it's freaking me out.

I should chill, it's only been a week and a half....

But anyways, you look BEAUTIFUL!

Cats tongue
04-18-2007, 09:51 PM
You look awesome.

Like everyone said there is a HUGE difference between your face and your waist in the two pics.

Congrats!

Nikaia
04-19-2007, 01:21 PM
Jamie - you should let me know the next time you'll be in town. It's always fun to meet a 3FCer in person! I'm telling you, coming to UCSC was the best decision I've ever made. No wonder so many people come to UCSC and never leave again... ;)

Jeanette, I so understand. Hang in there hon, you're just starting out, and it does take time. You'll see changes soon!

Again, to everyone, thank you so much for giving me the perspective I'd lost. :)

ladybugnessa
04-19-2007, 01:36 PM
you've only lost 15 pounds? I can so see it. and you are quite the beauty...

she stood you up.. her loss babe. her loss.

i don't know you from adam or eve but lady let me tell you, you are quite attractive you can very much see the loss and I think i'd like to slap your inner voice around a bit and say 'shuddup'....

Nikaia
04-19-2007, 01:47 PM
she stood you up.. her loss babe. her loss.

and I think i'd like to slap your inner voice around a bit and say 'shuddup'....

I could kiss you for that. ;)

JamieY
04-19-2007, 01:48 PM
Nikaia, I will! I don't know when we're going next, probably a lot this summer, we have a 3 year old so I want to take him to the boardwalk a lot. I'm so excited for warm weather and the beach! It's so so beautiful there and I love the people!

Nikaia
04-19-2007, 01:56 PM
Heh, if you want to play at the beach, don't bother with the boardwalk. There's "dog beach" over near Lighthouse Point, and then the beach down near the harbor. Both of those are a lot less tourist-y and not nearly as crowded, even in nice weather. ;)

JamieY
04-19-2007, 02:02 PM
Oh I know the boardwalk beach gets way crowded...I had a friend that got married at that beach last summer and there were people EVERYWHERE. Little kids where yelling the wedding song as she walked down the "aisle". LOL, it wasn't very romantic.

Nikaia
04-19-2007, 02:04 PM
Ick...if I wanted an outdoor wedding in Santa Cruz, I'd do it at "dog beach" or the park across on the other side of West Cliff. Of course, me being me, I'd probably have the actual ceremony at dawn, and there wouldn't be people around then anyway. ;)

JamieY
04-19-2007, 02:19 PM
I agree... :)

AllyCat30
04-19-2007, 03:19 PM
You look great!!!!:D It looks like you have lost way more than 15 lbs. This is definitely a perception issue because the two pics look like different people to me.

I am the same way. I really cannot tell the difference between pics taken this month and photos taken when I weighed 190.

Nikaia
04-19-2007, 08:25 PM
I am the same way. I really cannot tell the difference between pics taken this month and photos taken when I weighed 190.

Oh my gosh, I'm so glad I'm not the only one with this perception issue. :) But I am sure that for you, with a 30-lb difference, it's REALLY noticeable to everyone else, even if you don't see it! :hug:

NESunshine
04-19-2007, 09:00 PM
smokin hot sweetie....rock on! You look fantastic! :carrot: :carrot: :carrot:

mamaplots
04-25-2007, 06:10 AM
You definitely look like you lost weight! I can see it in your face and waist!