Food Talk And Fabulous Finds - Cold treats

View Full Version : Cold treats

just_a_dreamy1
04-15-2007, 04:02 PM
Since the weather is getting progressively warmer, I'm researching treats that I can buy on the go that will fit my healthy lifestyle. I have some questions, so I hope you all can give me a hand:)

I can only find the nutritionals for a 10 oz Tim Horton's ice cap on their website, which I'm presuming has to be a small. According to CalorieKing, a 12oz ice cap (with milk instead of cream) is 180 calories. Do you know if a 12 oz is a medium?

Also according to CalorieKing, a small DQ icecream cone is 240 calories! Has anyone seen any differant information? I mean, I never eat the cone, so I'm sure that that shaves off calories, but that still seems like alot for just a small cone of icecream (even regular).

And last but not least, what are your favorite diet friendly iced drinks from places like Starbucks and Second Cup, and how many calories are they? I've never tried any of them, but every time I see someone with one, I'm tempted:D

TIA!

nelie
04-15-2007, 04:45 PM
If you really want ice cream, I think McDonald's soft serve are fairly low calorie. I usually order a ice cream cup, eat 1/4 or 1/2 of it (depending how I feel) and throw the rest away. It satisfies my craving.

Only thing cold at Starbucks I'd have is an iced latte with nonfat milk or their iced teas. Their iced teas are really good and aren't sweetened.

SavingServo
04-15-2007, 04:47 PM
Those freezie pops! Mr. Freezie (I think that's the name) is the most popular brand I think. My dollar store knock offs are only 15 calories each! :carrot:

And as far as ice cream, sorbet all the way! I can't stand low-cal/splenda stuff. But lemon sorbet is naturally lower cal and tastes great.

just_a_dreamy1
04-15-2007, 05:04 PM
Thanks for the info, guys!

Nelie - I'll definately try the latte from Starbucks.
According to McDonald's website, a small cone has 140 calories, so that would definately be ok. I like DQ alot better, though:(

Colleen - I agree - sorbet is delicous! That reminds me - alot of icecream places often offer sorbet or nonfat yogurt, as well.

jillybean720
04-15-2007, 05:11 PM
For me, I think there are WAY too many hidden calories in drinks and frozen treats from restaurants. I much prefer to have something at home where it's more measurable and controlable. There are lots of ice cream treats now by Healthy Choice and Weight Watchers and such (there's another brand that makes a lot of yummy ones that escapes me right now) that you can buy in your grocer's freezer--and I don't just mean actual tubs of ice cream. I'm referring to ice cream bars and sandwiches and other novelties, which are also much easier to control the portion sizes for since you aren't just scopping into a bowl where you could scoop too much. They're also much friendlier on the wallet since they're typically less than $1 per piece in a box and are even often on sale for even less. When Jeff and I go to Dairy Queen, we can spend $8 easily on 2 frozen snacks for us, and to me, that's just insane :dizzy:

LindseyLouWho
04-15-2007, 05:21 PM
When I get a craving for ice cream, which practically NEVER happens, I go to TCBY and order a small (it might be considered a junior... whatever is closest to 4 oz.) white chocolate mousse soft serve. It's been my favorite for years, and once every few months it isn't so bad. They have nutrition information available on their website. The soft serves range from 90 cals for 1/2 cup for the no sugar added nonfat flavors, to 140 cals for the 96% fat free yogurts (which doesn't seem all that low haha).

Bean87
04-15-2007, 05:26 PM
Klondike Slim-a-Bear are super yummy and low-cal. you could either get the sandwiches or the fudge pop-my fave!!

nelie
04-15-2007, 07:21 PM
For me, I think there are WAY too many hidden calories in drinks and frozen treats from restaurants. I much prefer to have something at home where it's more measurable and controlable. There are lots of ice cream treats now by Healthy Choice and Weight Watchers and such (there's another brand that makes a lot of yummy ones that escapes me right now) that you can buy in your grocer's freezer--and I don't just mean actual tubs of ice cream. I'm referring to ice cream bars and sandwiches and other novelties, which are also much easier to control the portion sizes for since you aren't just scopping into a bowl where you could scoop too much. They're also much friendlier on the wallet since they're typically less than $1 per piece in a box and are even often on sale for even less. When Jeff and I go to Dairy Queen, we can spend $8 easily on 2 frozen snacks for us, and to me, that's just insane :dizzy:

I wish that worked for me but one of my favorite binge foods used to be boxes of various ice cream treats. Good humor strawberry shortcake, ice cream sandwiches, chocolate covered vanilla bars, etc. I tried buying a box of low cal ice cream treats a while back and well it was gone in 2 days so no more for me :) That is why I like McDonald's soft serve minus the cone and only eat half at most. It is low cal (although ingredients aren't the greatest), costs 99 cents and means I don't keep ice cream in the house.

just_a_dreamy1
04-15-2007, 07:51 PM
Jill - I definately agree that it's cheaper and easier to control calories at home. However, we're going on vacation for two weeks this summer, and my bf often suggests something cool when we're driving around.
Lindsey - thanks for the tip. I don't think we have TCBY in Alberta, though.
Bean - I'll check for that in the grocery. Thanks!
Nelie - I'd have to agree that in some cases, it's a better idea to just have something diet conscious out every once in awhile, instead of keeping it in the house. I only have a hard time with the scoop icecream, though - if it's in a one-serving package, I can stick to just one:)

jillybean720
04-15-2007, 08:32 PM
I wish that worked for me but one of my favorite binge foods used to be boxes of various ice cream treats. Good humor strawberry shortcake, ice cream sandwiches, chocolate covered vanilla bars, etc. I tried buying a box of low cal ice cream treats a while back and well it was gone in 2 days so no more for me :) That is why I like McDonald's soft serve minus the cone and only eat half at most. It is low cal (although ingredients aren't the greatest), costs 99 cents and means I don't keep ice cream in the house.
You know, I'm not sure why it works for me with frozen treats. I mean, I can't keep the 100 calorie snack packs of cookies and such in the house because I will do the same thing--just eat a BUNCH of them instead of a single pack :dizzy:

dreamy, have you tried checking the restaurants' sites instead of things like CalorieKing? I know you mentioned the Tim Horton's site, but others have info as well. Starbucks has nutritional info for all of their drinks--I know they include whole milk, so you could at least use them as a guideline for the higher end of calories: http://www.starbucks.com/retail/nutrition_beverages.asp
Dairy Queen actually has a calculator where you can even remove toppings and such, like if you order a sundae but without nuts (yup, it's 240 calories for a small vanilla cone--and the actual cone itself is only 30 calories, so not much help :( )
http://www.dairyqueen.com/NCPublic/DQComNutritionCalculator.htm

just_a_dreamy1
04-15-2007, 11:50 PM
Jill,

Thanks for the Starbucks website! It definately has some helpful info:)

kaplods
04-16-2007, 12:06 AM
My husband was craving ice cream the other day, and since we've been doing really well, we decided to go. I decided I would have a rootbeer float made with diet rootbeer. It was a local place, so I wasn't sure how to count it, but I'd had a similar float at A&W Rootbeer, so I looked that up and it was 180 calories. I think this place was a little more generous with the soft serve, so I added another 100 calories, just to be on the safe side.

I'm pretty sure that the ice cream cone part alone, has about 60 - 100 calories for most small to average size cones (60 for the flat bottom cone, and a little under 100 for a sugar cone). That's if my memory is correct, off the side of the boxes I saw in my mom's cupboard last summer.

mandalinn82
04-16-2007, 12:22 AM
A standard flat-bottom cake cone is actually lower than that...one wafer-type cone is about 17-20 calories. Even the chocolate-dipped wafer cones you buy at the grocery store are only 30.

LindseyLouWho
04-16-2007, 12:37 AM
I don't usually eat the wafer cake cones. My big big weakness though is a really good waffle cone, like you'd get from Marble Slab or Cold Stone Creamery. I could eat those plain. Probably comes from going to school in Belgium for 4 years... haha. Waffles of all types are well received (by my tummy, and hips, and everywhere else they tend to glue themselves to :lol:).

LLV
04-16-2007, 01:38 PM
A junior Frosty from Wendy's is 155 calories ;)

I love the vanilla Frosty's!

baffled111
04-16-2007, 01:56 PM
For an at-home treat, the little Dove ice-cream bars are really good. The dark chocolate ones are delicious. And I think they're about 70 calories each. Not bad. You could actually have 2!

poppins3
04-16-2007, 08:26 PM
DH and I just bought these Dove bars yesterday. Terrific!! (I just had two!)

just_a_dreamy1
04-16-2007, 09:26 PM
Colleen - I love the diet soda to make a float idea, thanks:) I really don't like rootbeer, so I think I'll try diet coke or maybe something fruity.

Lindsey - I hear you about the cones from Marble Slab - even though for me, it's more the icecream that I enjoy;) However, after learning how high calorie it is, I've decided that I'm never going back...I can enjoy similar treats without ruining my whole WEEK in calories. (Exxagerating a little, but just one plain scoop of their icecream is over 450 calories!)

Linda - wow, I can have a frosty from Wendy's? Thanks for letting me know!!!

Baffled - Ooo, I hope one of my local grocery stores carry Dove bars! They sound SO divine - I can't wait to try the dark chocolate one. Thank you!

Lafayette
04-16-2007, 10:09 PM
Hi! I just have to share my most recent freezer section find: Blue Bunny Sweet Freedom No Sugar Added Fudge Lites. They are 35 calories/3g fiber/0 fat... and perfect for late nights when I am out of points and still looking for a little something.

When you're out and about, check your local convenience store- Gas stations around here have the 2-point Giant Cookies & Cream bars for sale in their freezer cases with all the "bad" stuff.

RebaR
04-17-2007, 10:32 PM
Hi,
I like to buy the fruit bars that Dole has and I believe it's Edy's for the other brand available here. I get the ones that have no added sugar- they are made with fruit juice and have 30-35 calories each. Yum!

Reba

nelie
04-17-2007, 10:37 PM
My favorite at home frozen treat is frozen berries. I like to suck on them until they melt. Strawberries are my favorite but others work well too.

azmom
04-17-2007, 11:59 PM
Trader Joe's sells a bag of frozen, diced mango and it really helps when I want something icy, cold and sweet. I don't do sugar or artificial sweeteners so the rest are not for me.

sweet_talker
04-19-2007, 06:14 PM
DQ has some icecream treats that are actually really low in calories. The fudgesicle thingys and the creamsicles if I'm not mistaken. I also like the fudgsicles that are sugar free.

Lafayette
04-19-2007, 10:42 PM
DQ has sugar free dilly bars that are low cal and , for WW, only 1 point!

wisher
04-20-2007, 11:28 PM
Anyone ever tried frozen grapes? They have the same consistency as those frozen fruit bars, not totally hard, kind of like a firm slushy!

zenor77
04-21-2007, 01:02 AM
I just tried frozen Lychees (the kind that come in the can in the Asian section of the market.) They are so yummy! You just drain, rinse, and pop them in the freezer for an exotic treat. I also like blueberries frozen.

I don't have any dairy suggestions though. My tummy can't handle dairy. But Turtle Mountain makes some good soy and rice alternatives that aren't too high in calories. I think they are under the Soy Delicious label.

baffled111
04-21-2007, 03:14 AM
Frozen grapes are delicious! I prefer to sprinkle a little sugar over them before they go in the freezer, but they make an excellent treat. Thanks for the reminder--I've not made those in ages.

Bikini Dreader
04-21-2007, 11:40 AM
I freeze a lot of fruit when it's in season. Grapes and Pineapple are great frozen.

just_a_dreamy1
04-21-2007, 01:46 PM
I just discovered a blend of frozen mango, kiwi, cantaloupe and a couple other fruits...and Cool Whip Light (my grocery store didn't carry Cool Whip Free, but this version only has 35 cal for 3 TB). Yummy! I'm planning on also trying it on the strawberries that I bought, as well as the peaches and pears...and the caramel choco chip rice cakes:)

gonnabelean
04-21-2007, 10:20 PM
You can also try frozen chocolate pudding. It used to be one of my childhood favs!

just_a_dreamy1
04-22-2007, 02:16 AM
gonnabelean,

Just out of curiousity, what kind of chocolate pudding do you freeze?

LindseyLouWho
04-23-2007, 02:37 AM
I've also heard of people freezing their yogurt cups. Frozen yogurt, makes sense. Although I'm suspicious of the consistency that would result, I might try it one day. I'm also interested in the chocolate pudding. As for the frozen grapes, I love them! My biology teacher in 9th grade passed them out to our entire class because she said she used to love to eat them before her track meets. She was awesome.

Elanajel
04-23-2007, 08:27 AM
I can't keep ice cream in the house. If I'm out w/the kids, I'll get a mini-cone of either: fatfree sf soft serve, or, if I need the treat, regular ice cream. A mini serving isn't too high in calories and sometimes ya just need the real thing!

chickaboom
04-28-2007, 09:45 PM
Hi, I am new here, and wanted to share my favorite cold treats. I am an ice cream freak, and I have tried many of the low-fat ice creams out there.

Hands down the best, is Dreyer's (Not Breyer's) Slow Churned 1/2 the Fat Vanilla. It is creamy and I feel like I am cheating. It is about 110 calories per serving and only 3 grams of fat. I usually eat three servings at one sitting, and just work that into my diet so that I don't feel deprived of the good stuff!

I also love Smart Ones Strawberry Shortcake with it or their fudge cake.

Now, Breyer's ice cream is not as good, but their ice cream bars are fabulous!

When Dreyer's isn't on sale (normally $6 a half-gallon here), I will get Safeway Select Vanilla, and it is good too.

I stay away from most others though, because I hate a funky taste to my ice cream.

I also get a creamy treat by using Coffeemate liquid in my coffee. Usually Creme Brulee. mmmm

I eat 1750 calories a day, and never feel hungry. So far so good!

baffled111
04-28-2007, 11:45 PM
Ice cream is such a problem. It's so delicious, so darn fattening and without genuine substitute. I can satisfy my sweet tooth with dark chocolate, for the most part, which is good because almost all low-fat ice-cream is a bit yucky. The Dreyer's (Edy's on the east coast) Slow-Churned stuff is the exception, and as Chickaboom says, its amazingly good. I see no reason at all not to prefer it to the high-fat stuff. I never crave vanilla ice cream--I just use it on fruit desserts-- so it's safe for me to keep in the house. Ben & Jerrys or Godiva ice cream is a whole other story.

PurdueGal
05-01-2007, 05:47 PM
I like the Skinny Cow or store-brand ice cream sandwiches. They are only about 130 cals and are really low in fat (I think under 3 grams)
They come in (my favorite) mint, chocoate, and vanilla.
The only thing is, it's hard to eat just one!

AnnaHope
05-07-2007, 11:01 AM
Living in the South & it being summer time I know the feeling for a cold ice cream on a hot day & have to say Thank God for Blue Bunny, they have a new line called Sweet Freedom & the Candy Bar has just 2 net carbs & tastes just like the Snickers version, they have alot of choices from ice cream singles to frozen icey treats, they hit the spot w/out my having to kick myself.