General chatter - Glasses vs. Contacts???

View Full Version : Glasses vs. Contacts???

Michelle
04-14-2007, 01:16 PM
I've had glasses for many years now and I've decided that I think I would really like to try contacts. I have an appointment on May 3, and they said after my initial exam, I will be sent home with a trial pair for two weeks to see how they work and if I like them. I know they will be more expensive over a two year period compared to glasses, but I was wondering how others feel about them, what you like or dislike about them? Thanks so much for your input!!;)

melekalikimaka
04-14-2007, 01:42 PM
I just had my annual eye exam last Tuesday and picked up a new batch of contacts two days ago. I have used soft contact lenses for about 9 years now. In my experience, I can wear my lenses up to 14 hours at a time. I first started w/the weekly wear lenses, these you just had to clean and store them in a soaking solution each night, then put them on again in the morning. The quality of the lens by the end of the week was not that great. Vision wasn't a problem, but the lens it would get that "sticking" feeling, like it just wasn't clean enough. It was a little bothersome. Then I switched to daily wear lenses. These are disposable type, wear them for one day then toss. I love these for their convenience--you don't have to clean them or store them. Just use and toss. And they even came out with daily colored lenses. I'm experimenting with green eyes, even though my natural color is brown. I must admit it makes me feel like I'm wearing a whole new outfit and boosts my confidence, much like when I try a new hair color and it turns out smokin' hot. Soft lenses overall are really easy to wear and I think you'll like them. I think the more quantity you buy, the lower the price. There are also great rebates for first-time users of contacts, ask your eye doctor if there are any available. I remember getting $50 back from the manufacturer because I bought a years supply (lenses normally have a 2-3 year shelf life).

Oh, and if/when you do start wearing contacts, you will find that if you ever had an unconscious habit of adjusting your glasses on your face, you will still reach up to do that, even though nothing is there :lol:

GreatBigMonsterMomma
04-14-2007, 01:46 PM
I am in the minority. :) I had contacts years ago, and while it was a nice look, it was just too much hassle. I'm lazy like that, I guess. And since I'm blind without some sort of corrective lenses, it's so much simpler for me just to grab my glasses & go. My husband hasn't worn contacts in years & years either, for much the same reason. (Of course, he doesn't need to wear his glasses constantly, like I do.)

ennay
04-14-2007, 02:23 PM
I cant wear glasses. It's not a vanity thing, its just that contacts work better for my particular eye problem

Having worn both I would say that if you choose contacts you still have to have a pair of glasses reasonably close to your prescription handy.

Most people cant tolerate smoky, dirty, dusty or overly dry environments well with contacts. I was one of the odd balls who did better in a smoky env. with my contacts.

Contacts are easier for working out.

I would go the disposable route (do they make the other kind anymore?) cleaning is the biggest hassle

happy2bme
04-14-2007, 02:24 PM
I wore soft contacts for 2 years a long time ago - the same kind Noelle had that needed to be cleaned each night. I have light blue eyes that were very sensitive to light. For some reason, the contacts made them more sensitive. Even on overcast days I needed to wear sunglasses - admittedly better looking ones than the prescription ones I once had. My eyes were dry and I had to use a wetting solution, especially in the winter. It was a lot of work but the thing that made me give them up was that I thought they would improve my vision better than glasses. They didn't. At least I was told that was true with the soft contacts. I wasn't keen on the hard ones, especially when I heard they can form caluses on the eyes.

So, like GBMM, I didn't think they were worth the hassle. But I am an exception - I know lots of people who love them - especially the daily wear kind. I think it's kind of neat to be able to change your eye color too.

Good luck to you. Ask questions. Use them as they were intended to be used. I know of people who try to extend the wear just because they don't want to buy them that often - doesn't seem like a good hygiene idea to me.

I'm sure you'll feel young and cute - just like a good haircut makes you feel. And that is true and funny about the adjusting the "invisible glasses" thing on your face. :lol:

Oh and on windy days you probably want to wear a pair of sunglasses to protect your eyes. You wouldn't believe how a tiny spec of dust in the lenses feels like a boulder! I never realized how much glasses keep things out of your eyes until I wasn't wearning them.

freiamaya
04-14-2007, 02:40 PM
Lasik, baby, LASIK. Add up the costs of contacts, cleaning solutions, storing solutions, total costs of replacements, costs of disposible lenses (if you go that way), and you will find that Lasik will actually save you money in the long run.
Given a choice between glasses and contacts, it may depend on your prescription. I had a prescription of -11.25 in my right eye (!) and -11.75 in my left eye (!!!). Making glasses like coke bottles. Making contacts like tupperware chips. Making Lasik the best choice for me! But I wore contacts for years, and loved them. Good luck with your choice!

melekalikimaka
04-14-2007, 03:16 PM
Oh man I wanted Lasik, but with 'barely' a prescription of -.75 and my age (which ain't too young to me!) the docs won't even consider me yet.

maegdaeien
04-14-2007, 03:55 PM
I've been wearing contacts for many years and I love them! I don't think they're a hassle at all-- they take about 20 seconds in the morning to put in and 20 seconds at night to take out, no problem. I also love that you can see in all directions, as opposed to glasses through which you can only see what's directly in front of you and the entire surrounding area is a blur. You can also buy any kind of sunglasses you want without worrying about getting perscription ones, you don't have to be constantly pushing glasses back up your nose, and it's easier to put on makeup (since you'd have to take off your glasses to put on eye makeup, and then you can't see what you're doing!).

Michelle
04-14-2007, 04:35 PM
WOW, what great info all of you have given me to go on, thank you!! I have brown eyes and I would love to have green eyes, that would be fun for a change. One of my biggest things is being able to just go buy a regular pair of sunglasses, because I have never had prescription ones, so basically I've not had any sunglasses for years. I know my prescription is not very strong, but we'll see what the doctor says and offers for me to try when I go in. I'll definitely let you all know what I decide and get.;)

FrouFrou
04-14-2007, 04:49 PM
Michelle...ds wore glasses forever and changed over to contacts a couple of years ago and loves them! He says he won't go back to wearing glasses but does have his old ones around in case. He doesn't think it is a hassle...it's not as quick as grabbing the glasses but he loves the freedom of not having the glasses.

Me...I'm a weirdo and don't think I could take putting something on my eye, but have thought about contacts. For now though glasses are fine with me. My eyes aren't so bad and for years I wore non-prescription sunglasses and finally went to a prescription sunglass and man you would not believe the difference. I am definitely needing new ones though.

Lasik...I myself wouldn't do it. I've heard good stories and bad ones where it didn't work. But for me nothing will touch my eyes! I am to big of a chicken.

Keep us posted!

Tara D
04-14-2007, 05:21 PM
Love my contacts! Don't know what I would do without them! I love the way they make me look -- much better than I did with glasses! I got lots of compliments when I finally escaped from my glasses! I hadn't realized how much my glasses affected my appearance -- I was shocked by how people responded.

I love the way I can see clearly in all directions! I will never, ever go back if I don't have to! I've been wearing them daily for the last 10 years! Most people don't even know that I'm pretty blind!

brandnewme
04-14-2007, 07:13 PM
Loved my vision with the contacts, but my eyes didn't like them so much. My eyes were constantly dry and irritated. I bought the ones that you wear for a month, and they were fairly inexpensive. $64 for 6mos' supply at the time, though that was a couple years ago.

Gas permeable are still made, and my sister uses those and swears by those. Up front, they cost her about $400ish dollars, but they last up to 7 years. I can't tolerate having a piece of glass laying on my eye! It was bad enough with the soft lenses.

Good luck!

midwife
04-14-2007, 09:22 PM
Another Lasik fan here. Going on two years! I still have to pinch myself so I don't take glasses/contacts-free vision for granted. I too was a major chicken for a long time. I don't know why I finally did it, but I have been thrilled ever since.

I wore contacts for years and then I went to glasses (triggered by pregnancy, my eyes would not tolerate contacts) and then it was cheaper just to keep my glasses.

Love my vision!

jillybean720
04-14-2007, 10:18 PM
If I had a few thousand dollars, I'd get Lasik in a heartbeat, but for now, I can only afford the annual fee of glasses/contacts (plus my prescription still changed the last time I got an exam, so I probably won't be a candidate for a couple more years).

I have both. I have had glasses since I was in third grade, and I got contacts I believe for my 15th birthday. I'm an odd case, though--my eyes never really get irritated from the contacts, so even though I have the ones you're supposed to take in and out every day, I can keep them in just fine for well over a month (including sleeping with them in). Most people can't do that, though, and can't see or barely open their eyes if they fall asleep with them in.

I suppose this makes my opinion different because the reason I love my contacts so much is that I wake up in the morning and can SEE. When I wear my galsses (which I actually do a lot now just to try to kee pmy eyes healthy), I have difficulty finding them on my nightstand when I wake up in the morning (yes, I am THAT blind). Plus, I don't know about anyone else, but my glasses are CONSTANTLY dirty. I swear I clean off the lenses at least 7 times every day. With contacts, I just put eyedrops in once a day (the "blink and clean" ones), and I'm all set.

And YES, the freedom to wear sunglasses! I've never had prescription sunglasses, so I can only wear sunglasses when I have my contacts in. It's so much better for long car trips (which I make often since I am always travelling on weekends to visit family, all of whom are a minimum of an hour away).

drake3272004
04-15-2007, 12:49 AM
I tried contacts awhile ago, but my eyes HATED them! They were constantly drying out and when my allergies flared up, I was miserable. I even tried a couple different brands, if it's your first time getting contacts then you'll get trial pairs to find out what works best for you.
I love the idea of Lasik, but I'm a big chicken and I would have to do some major penny pinching!

almostheaven
04-16-2007, 02:35 PM
I'm on the fence. I love contacts, I just don't like taking the time for them. So as a compromise, I have both. I wear my contacts when I have time to deal with cleaning and putting them in. But mostly, I wear my glasses...which I hate.

JasonsLea
04-16-2007, 03:39 PM
I wore glasses since I was a little kid and got my first pair of contacts about a year ago. I wore them for about a week but they kept drying out my eyes, shifting around, and all kinds of stuff so I went back to my glasses. Then about three months ago, I got into a car accident and my glasses were destroyed. I had no money for new glasses (I have a special prescription that adds on about an extra $75 to glasses I buy) and I still have a box of contact lenses left so I had no choice but to wear them. So glad I did. It took about a week for my eyes to get used to the contacts and now I love them! I carry around a bottle of artificial tears but I usually only need to use them when I'm tired or I've had my lenses in for 12+ hours. Like another member has stated, I've gotten so many compliments since I stopped wearing my glasses. People I don't even know are complimenting me. :D The only downfall that I have is that I have to wait till RIGHT before I go to sleep to take the contacts out since I'm basically blind which is why I'm going to get another pair of glasses to wear when I get home so I can just slip them off when I'm ready to fall asleep.

NemesisClaws
04-16-2007, 04:02 PM
I'm the lover of glasses, even though I would prefer to do the Lasik surgery. However, I just don't have the money for it, and my insurance will not cover it. I have tried contacts, but even though you're supposed to be able to wear them for hours at a time, my eyes literally got "exhausted" after a few hours. Finally, I just gave up on it because I have long fingernails at time, and it was a major pain trying to get my contacts in and out.

aphil
04-16-2007, 05:07 PM
Contact lover here!

For those who had trouble with contacts years ago, they just keep improving them-so keep on trying! The regular Acuvue I was using 6 years ago, for instance, has been replaced with a thinner, more breathable material-and they are even more comfortable!

Also, if one brand doesn't work really well for you, ask your doctor about another-if the problem is the fit, or the breathability, or dry eyes-tell them! Different lenses/brands seem to work better for different people, and your doctor can only find the ones that work best for you, if you tell them what you are experiencing!

I am another Coke bottle glasses wearer, -9.00 in one eye, and -11.50 in the other. I don't wear my glasses ANYWHERE but during a surgical procedure, and the contacts go on before anything else! :lol:

I couldn't live without them-not to mention getting to wear sunglasses, to not have the marks on my nose and ears from ill fitting glasses that always hurt no matter how much I adjusted them...and the fact that I never looked good in "cute" frames, because my prescription was way too bad.

Contacts-all the way! Putting them in and taking them out, and cleaning, etc. takes me about 4 minutes a day...and you get used to the feeling of putting them in and taking them out after about 3 times doing it-then it isn't a big deal at all.

GatorgalstuckinGA
04-16-2007, 10:07 PM
LOVVVE my contacts. I can't stand when i have to wear my glasses. I do have to wear aspherical contacts due to both eyes that have astimatisms...so they are a bit more expesive. I don't mind the inconvience of taking them out at night...and mine are disposed every 2 weeks. I wish i had the extra cash for lasix...but until then...contacts all the way.

BlueToBlue
04-16-2007, 10:45 PM
I wear both contacts and glasses (not at the same time LOL :lol: ). I just recently got one-day use contacts to wear when I exercise and overall, I'm pretty happy with them. They are absolutely fantastic for exercise. It is such a relief not to have to be constantly pushing my glasses up on my nose or taking them off to wipe the sweat off my face. When I'm outside, my contacts don't steam up or frost over the way my glasses would. Also, they protect my eye better than my glasses do. When I run with my glasses on, my eyes water contstantly (literally, tears streaming down my fact) from the wind hitting them. With contacts in, no tearing at all. The contact lense seems to protect my eye from the wind much better than the glasses do.

My distance vision is also better with my contacts in. I'm surprised by how crisp and clear things are. My optometrist said that the contacts are a more natural way of seeing than glasses. They are correcting my vision to 20 x 15; it's pretty amazing.

Contacts are also great for watching TV. I like to lay on the sofa and when I wear my glasses, they push into the side of my head. Not a problem with contacts!

The biggest downside is that the contacts are definitely a little hard to get in and out. The single-use contacts are super thin and flimsy. I have no problem at all sticking my finger in my eye, but I still have to allow at least 10 to 15 min to get them in. At least once or twice a week, I tear one trying to put it in and have to get a new one (making them even more expensive than I originally thought). A couple times I've managed to lose one while trying to put in my eye. Sometimes I get the contact in but it isn't in the right position so I can't see out of that eye. Once I managed to put two contacts in the same eye because the first one didn't slide into position correctly and I thought it had fallen out. Once, one contact did fall out when I got to the gym and I had to do my workout with one contact in (since then, I always bring spares with me to the gym). Several times I've had one tear in my eye, once in the middle of my elliptical workout. Right now, in fact, I think I have a little piece of contact stuck in my left eye. I can feel it but I can't see it so I'm just waiting for it to work its way out on its own. I've only had my contacts since the end of February so I'm sure I will get to be much better at putting them in over time, but you have to expect a learning curve when you first get them.

Also, I can only wear my contacts for a maximum of 4 to 6 hours. After that, my eyes get too dried out and no amount of eye drops help; the contacts just need to come out. I've learned that when I'm wearing my contacts, I need to always have spares on hand and also always have a pair of back-up glasses.

I also only need corrective lenses for distance. For things within reading distance, it is easier for me to focus if I'm not wearing glasses or contacts. From that standpoint, glasses are better because I can easily take them on and off (and then spend half my life looking for them ;) ). Once the contacts are in, they have to stay in until I'm ready to take them out for the day. If I'm doing a lot of reading or using the computer, my eyes have to work a lot harder with the contacts in and it tires them out.

I also think of my glasses as an accessory, like jewelry (obviously I don't have coke-bottle lenses). Contacts, not nearly so much fun in that regard. And I'm convinced that glasses make me look smarter.

Right now, if I absolutely had to pick one or the other, I'd have to go with glasses because I can't keep my contacts in all day. But if I could keep my contact in all day, I'd probably go with contacts for the convenience and because my vision is better with them. Luckily, I don't have to make that choice.

Cheryl14
04-16-2007, 11:07 PM
Hi Michelle!

I've needed glasses all my life and got my first contacts in 9th grade. Back then hard lenses were the only ones available. I wore them for ten years, then my eyes got uncomfortable wearing them. I went to gas-permeable lenses which felt great, BUT I just couldn't keep them clean! I must have had a reaction to the plastic in those particular lenses. I finally gave up and went back to glasses for about ten more years. At my eye appointment about 13 years ago, the girl who was assisting me prior to my eye exam asked if I wanted to try contacts. I explained that I already had had contacts. She said, "Have you tried disposable ones?" I said that I hadn't. She explained that they could do some additional measurements which would provide information for the fitting of contact lenses. She also said that I would have a trial pair that would cost nothing and I could try them out and see how I liked them. I thought it sounded like a good deal.

Since I was already a previous contact lens wearer, I wasn't nervous. I WAS a bit skeptical, however. They did the extra tests, I met with Doc, and then the girl inserted the lenses. My eyes felt better WITH the lenses in than without them! I could hardly feel them! What a difference from my hard lenses and/or my gas-permeable ones from many years before!!!!:D

I was able to wear them four hours ON THAT FIRST DAY!!! I was SOLD!!!:carrot:

I've now been wearing disposable lenses all day and into the evening. I switch to my glasses late at night because I need to remove my eye makeup then before bed. I have never had any eye infections because I am VERY careful about cleaning them and putting them safely away. I can wear one pair for two weeks, then I toss them and open a new pair. Easy!

My very best contact lens moment...Wearing them on waterslides AND, FOR THE FIRST TIME IN MY LIFE. being able to actually SEE WHERE I AM GOING as I make my way down the slides!!! (Shut eyes tightly before you hit the water at the end and you won't wash your lenses out into the pool of water at the end of the slide!)

Try them! I bet you'll LOVE them!

Cheryl

Michelle
04-17-2007, 12:47 AM
WOW, thank you everyone for all of your great advice and tips! I keep debating back and forth if I should get them, but they did say I would get a 2 week trial pair to see how I do with them. The one thing I was concerned with them was that I only need correctiveness for a distance, I have 20/20 up close and sometimes I look under my glasses or take them off to see better. I've always wondered how they can make contacts work for both. I live in Oregon and we do get a lot of rain and the one thing I hate with glasses is always getting the rain on my lens.:p

Cheryl14
04-17-2007, 08:09 AM
Hi Michelle!

Contacts will correct your far vision and not affect your close vision. As your eyes change, and everyone's seems to, they can fit you with lenses that will correct far AND near vision. I'm still using the "monovision" method of having my right eye corrected for far vision and my left eye corrected for near vision. It's a cheaper way of handling my eyes that are losing that middle ground of vision about a foot or so away from the eyes. It sounds weird, but after a few hours I really didn't notice that one eye was helping me to see far and the other was helping me to see near! I can tell that soon I will need to go to the bifocal contacts (more expensive), but I'm holding out as long as I can on those.

Oh, and I see better and clearer with my contacts than I do with the same prescription in my glasses. It has something to do with the lenses being right on your eyeball.

Squeeky-clean hands and lint-free paper towels to dry your hands before inserting your lenses works best. Bath towels have pieces of lint that can (and WILL!) adhere to your hands and end up UNDER your lenses...OUCH!!!!

Good Luck! I think you will be very pleased with contacts!

Cheryl

aphil
04-17-2007, 08:27 AM
Michelle-they make lenses for nearsightedness, and farsightedness, just like they do for glasses. If you look on the box when you get your trial pair, if the prescription strength starts with a -, then they are to correct nearsightedness, and if they start with a +, they are for farsightedness. My prescription as I said, is very bad, and I can see 50X better with contacts than I can with glasses. My glasses distort everything in my peripheral vision, and I can't examine something up close without taking them off. The contacts are great for that.

FitMomEB
04-17-2007, 10:05 AM
I have both and like both. I love my glasses, they are new and I think they are fab, however I also love sunglasses so I prefer to wear my contacts when I go out. Also I wear disposable contacts, which aren't recommended for daily use so I wear my glasses on days when I mostly stay home :)

freiamaya
04-17-2007, 03:07 PM
One thing I noticed before I had lasik was that with glasses, things seemed somehow DARKER. Like Aphil, my peripheral vision was poor (glasses only corrected the field of vision that they covered) and the thickness of them seemed to make things darker. Contact lenses were a GODSEND - things were brighter, clearer, and all around better. If I had to choose between lenses and contacts, contacts win every time. I wore contacts consistently (but never overnight!) for 20 years (I have been in glasses since the age of 3), and with PROPER CARE are a great solution.
There are "bifocal" contacts, where the field of vision is different within the lens. These lenses are actually weighted so that they stay in the correct position, and are called TAURIC lenses. Still a great choice!!!
Go for it!

jillybean720
04-17-2007, 03:26 PM
I wore contacts consistently (but never overnight!) for 20 years (I have been in glasses since the age of 3), and with PROPER CARE are a great solution.
I LOVE being able to wear my contacts overnight. I'm not saying everyone should do it--I know some people have issues when even accidentally falling asleep on the couch or something with contacts in--but if your eyes can handle it, it's not the taboo it used to be :^:

My optometrist (multiple, actually, since I've moved around a lot in recent years) knows that I sleep with my lenses in and said it's fine because my eyes are healthy--I would stop at the first sign of anything going wrong. They do make lenses now that you can wear for 30 days without ever taking them out (I believe they are a gas-permeable plastic lense), and when I asked about this, my doctor actually said he'd rather see me in regular disposable lenses and just replace them every 2 weeks, that dehydration was not as much of an issue as the potential bacteria build-up on the lenses approved for 30-day/night wear.

MariaMaria
04-17-2007, 03:38 PM
Also I wear disposable contacts, which aren't recommended for daily use

???

tigrre
04-17-2007, 04:21 PM
Contacts are amazing for me. I got them about 3 months ago for the first time and I love them.

I always hated my glasses and wore them as little as possible (my vision isn't that bad, -1 in one eye and -1.25 in the other.) So most of the time I was walking around with crappy vision and the rest of the time I spent looking for my glasses. It takes me about 10 minutes or less a day to take care of my contacts (I have the kind that you throw away after 2 weeks.) It has been such a positive change, I would definitely recommend at least TRYING contacts if you haven't had them before.

freiamaya
04-17-2007, 05:55 PM
Hey Jillybean (love your name!!!) - no offense meant re: wearing contacts overnight. My contacts, due to my prescription, were like tupperware chips. My concern was that the thickness of them would inhibit oxygen getting to my cornea and retinas, that's all. The ones I had were permissible for sleeping in, but I chose not to. My only intention was to say that contact lenses are not maintenance free, and if not cleaned/disposed of on schedule/etc. could cause alot of damage such as corneal ulceration, retinal damage and infection. NOT a deal-breaker, but you do need to take proper care with them and know the risks. And, there are more maintenance issues with contacts than with glasses, that's for sure.
Long live contacts!

melekalikimaka
04-17-2007, 06:38 PM
Contacts are also great for watching TV. I like to lay on the sofa and when I wear my glasses, they push into the side of my head. Not a problem with contacts!

I agree completely!

The biggest downside is that the contacts are definitely a little hard to get in and out. The single-use contacts are super thin and flimsy. I have no problem at all sticking my finger in my eye, but I still have to allow at least 10 to 15 min to get them in.

Barbara and those experiencing difficulty w/contacts, things will get better with time and experience, I promise. Same thing with the length of time you are able to wear them. Your eyes should get used to wearing them for longer and longer periods as time goes by. I can get up to 14 hours, though I rarely need to. But like Aphil said, try different brands of lenses if the ones you have are not agreeing with you. The curvature of your eye, the type of vision correction, and the solution in which the lens manufacturer stores them in are only some of the the small factors affecting the comfort level for you. I really love wearing my contacts and can not feel anything at all when they are in. In fact, I have to open my eyes really wide and look in the mirror really closely to see the barely there rim of the lens over the iris of my eye.

I know what you mean about glasses being a fashion accessory, but really, I rather enjoy using colored lenses for the same reason. I actually feel a shift in my mood depending on which eye color I choose to put in :lol: Experiment and enjoy.

Michelle
04-17-2007, 07:19 PM
Noelle,

I remember you saying before that you use colored contact and your eye color is brown. Is it very easy to find colored contacts with brown eyes that look natural, like a certain brand is better?:?:

melekalikimaka
04-17-2007, 08:01 PM
Michelle, the only brand that I have tried (and have not had a problem with at all!) was the Fresh Look color blends made by CIBA Vision. I bought these because they finally came in daily disposable wear vs. the 2 week or longer colored lenses. I have what I consider medium toned skin with dark hair. I tried on gray, green and hazel lenses just to see what they would look like on me. I avoided blue completely, just because I didn't think it would look believable at all on me. They also offer several other different colors. Check this website and you can play around with the colors: http://www.freshlookcontacts.com/html/colorselector.shtml .

Your optometrist should be able to give you samples to try right on the spot, but the lenses do say "demo" on them and will be non-corrective. I had to put a clear, regular prescription contact in one eye, and the sample colored one in the other, so I could "see" what the colored one looked like. It was fun trying them on though. The colored lenses are a bit larger than the normal clear ones so may take a little getting used to, but if it's going to be your first time trying them out, you won't know the difference. Just take your time and you'll get the hang of it.

Michelle
04-17-2007, 11:18 PM
Michelle, the only brand that I have tried (and have not had a problem with at all!) was the Fresh Look color blends made by CIBA Vision. I bought these because they finally came in daily disposable wear vs. the 2 week or longer colored lenses. I have what I consider medium toned skin with dark hair. I tried on gray, green and hazel lenses just to see what they would look like on me. I avoided blue completely, just because I didn't think it would look believable at all on me. They also offer several other different colors. Check this website and you can play around with the colors: http://www.freshlookcontacts.com/html/colorselector.shtml .

Your optometrist should be able to give you samples to try right on the spot, but the lenses do say "demo" on them and will be non-corrective. I had to put a clear, regular prescription contact in one eye, and the sample colored one in the other, so I could "see" what the colored one looked like. It was fun trying them on though. The colored lenses are a bit larger than the normal clear ones so may take a little getting used to, but if it's going to be your first time trying them out, you won't know the difference. Just take your time and you'll get the hang of it.

Thanks so much! I went to that site and it was fun and I put my zip code in to find a place that sells them near me and my eye clinic was one listed so I will look into these.;)

almostheaven
04-21-2007, 02:47 AM
Glasses AND contacts have come a long way. I hate glasses for so many reasons. Getting prints on the lenses, baby grabbing them, with an earring, blue tooth AND glasses over my ear it gets a bit crowded, slipping down the nose, taking them off to sleep, etc. etc. etc.

My ONLY problem with contacts is the time they take though. Used to be I had more of a problem with them. I was allergic to something and it took many pairs and awhile before we found it was the enzyme tablets. I use disposables now, no longer a problem. My eyes also don't form enough tears, so I had problems there. But they have better lenses out to help with that these days.

Michelle
04-29-2007, 04:59 PM
Glasses AND contacts have come a long way. I hate glasses for so many reasons. Getting prints on the lenses, baby grabbing them, with an earring, blue tooth AND glasses over my ear it gets a bit crowded, slipping down the nose, taking them off to sleep, etc. etc. etc.

My ONLY problem with contacts is the time they take though. Used to be I had more of a problem with them. I was allergic to something and it took many pairs and awhile before we found it was the enzyme tablets. I use disposables now, no longer a problem. My eyes also don't form enough tears, so I had problems there. But they have better lenses out to help with that these days.

I agree with you so much on the glasses being dirty. No matter how many times I clean them, I can still see stuff on the lens. My appointment is this week so I'll see what the doctor says and gives me for a trial pair.:)

Michelle
05-08-2007, 12:16 AM
Thank you ALL for your advice and great help!:hug: I got my first trial pair of contact lens last Friday, and after three days of wearing them and having very irritated eyes and constantly having to put eye drops in, I was at the eye clinic first thing this morning. They put me in a different brand called FreshLook and I LOVE them! I didn't have to use eye drops once today and I didn't even know they were in my eyes. I tried a few different colors on, but my DD said they made me look like I had alien eyes, so I just went with the clear ones. I still find myself trying to push my glasses up at times and then realize they're not there. I also love being able to wear sunglasses again!:D

almostheaven
05-08-2007, 11:23 AM
I also love being able to wear sunglasses again!:D
Well now, I licked this problem. I found these new sunglasses called FitsOver. You can wear them alone or over glasses. They're deeper lenses to stand out over glasses.

melekalikimaka
05-08-2007, 05:24 PM
Michelle, glad you found one that suits you and sorry you had to experience a bad one. Freshlook is the one that makes the colored lenses, I'd say with your complexion and hair color, you could easily pull off blue or green eyes. Look at Paris Hilton--most people think her natural eyes are blue, but they are acutally brown. She wears contacts most of the time.

Michelle
05-09-2007, 01:38 AM
Michelle, glad you found one that suits you and sorry you had to experience a bad one. Freshlook is the one that makes the colored lenses, I'd say with your complexion and hair color, you could easily pull off blue or green eyes. Look at Paris Hilton--most people think her natural eyes are blue, but they are acutally brown. She wears contacts most of the time.

You know, I did bring the green nonprescription ones home and put them in a couple of times, but they just didn't seem to look real on me. I guess I'll probably just stick with my brown eyes, but the contacts are great and so comfortable.:)

MandiK
05-09-2007, 08:59 PM
When I had glasses I couldn't stand wearing them. I just didn't like the feeling of something on my face all day. I wore contacts for over 10 years. I definitely prefered the contacts you threw away every two weeks over the ones you had to clean. Now I've had LASIK and LOVE it. I have better than 20/20 vision and would highly recommend it. No glasses or contacts ever again! Good luck!

cagesorwings
05-10-2007, 12:45 AM
just want to put in my two cents.
when I was a kid, I desperately wanted glasses so I could "be like" mom, dad, and sister... and soon as I had them, I HATED them! They were so difficult to deal with when it was nice outside, when I wanted to do things without glasses (like swim, or run around) and just not very pleasant for me to deal with.
I got contacts at a very young age - my mom basically told our doctor that I had to have them NOW - I think I was 11. The basic care was not an issue, and I really enjoyed my glasses-less life. Unfortunately, I wore my contacts TOO much - all day from 6 am (when I got up for school) to 9 or 10 at night (later and later on as I got to high school) and my eyes just could NOT take it. At first I had issues during allergy season - lots of redness, eye infections, and LOTS of struggle with my eye doctor. She would tell me I could NOT wear my contacts for few weeks... I would ignore all instructions. Finally in the end, my eyes just completely rejected contacts and the doctor said THAT IS IT - no more contacts AT ALL. I was so uncomfortable in them that I finally had to face that I had to go back to glasses. This was fall of senior year, really pissed me off at the time - I had so many important events that I didn't want to wear glasses at coming up. I suffered through it for a year and half until I got lasar eye surgery. I just finished my freshman year of college and I got it during spring break.

I HIGHLY reccomend it, if you have the money. My parents understood my struggles and luckily they conceded to it being a very expensive 18th birthday present. I got Lasek, which is different from Lasik. My mom was very concerned about safety and risks of mistakes and blindness and all that, and she found that Lasek was a newer, safer procedure. The recovery period is longer, but the process doesn't weaken the cornea and it overall has a very very low risk of mess ups. The recovery period was very difficult, 4 days where I had to keep my eyes closed as much as possible. Lots of drops, even now (several months later) and I will have to continue them for the next 6 months or so. However, I could not be more thrilled. I had such a struggle with glasses & contacts that it is seriously a miracle to wake up in the morning, put some drops in my eyes, and see perfectly. I definitely reccommend the procedure to anyone who is looking into it, and if anyone has any more questions, ask away!

good luck with your choices :)

cagesorwings
05-10-2007, 12:50 AM
just to add, I know that many people haven't heard of lasek (the most popular surgery is lasik) so here is a website about it, if you are curious:
http://www.allaboutvision.com/visionsurgery/lasek.htm

Michelle
05-10-2007, 12:15 PM
I wish I could have the surgery, but we can't afford it at all.:( My aunt had it and is so happy with her outcome. I have 20/20 up close so I only need correction for the distance. Maybe someday I will be able to afford it like when I'm working again and we have two incomes.:p

Janny O
05-10-2007, 03:56 PM
I ran the whole gamut-hard contacts, bifocals, RK surgery (pre-Lasik), soft contacts, and now Walgreen's reading glasses. (Corrective surgery deteriorates when you get older). So, this old hide is going back to soft disposables-colored too. Man, it sucks getting old.

VelVeeta
05-14-2007, 03:01 PM
Thank you ALL for your advice and great help!:hug: I got my first trial pair of contact lens last Friday, and after three days of wearing them and having very irritated eyes and constantly having to put eye drops in, I was at the eye clinic first thing this morning. They put me in a different brand called FreshLook and I LOVE them!

That's great! It's nice that you were able to score a trial pair before committing. I know PureVision does that with their contacts - you get a free trial pair if you ask for them at your eye exam. So it definitely doesn't hurt to give them a try!

srmb60
06-08-2007, 05:12 PM
Lots of good info, thanks ... it pays to do a search on 3FC :D

srmb60
07-04-2007, 08:45 PM
I got some trial contacts today. Two hours and I'm good so far.

Leenie
07-04-2007, 09:03 PM
Contacts hands down !!

But now I'm thinking of eye surgery hmmmmmmmmmmm No contacts, No glasses.... oh to be free ;)

zambejaly5
07-06-2007, 06:03 PM
I had lasik 4 years ago and am still 20/20 LOVE IT. I was just lurking but had to chime in on the not being able to afford it. I put it off for years!!! thinking the same thing. but one year we just took out income tax return and did it. the price has come down so much. my sister got it done 3 years after me and it cost her half what it cost me. mine was 2400 and hers was about 1300 they all have payment plans too. so for as little as something like $60 a month you can have new eyes! it is so worth it. even up to the day of the surgery I kept telling my husband, "I am not sure I should do this, it costs to much, maybe we shouldn't spend the money that way" but after the surgery I was seeing 20/20 the very next morning and I have never regreted it since! I can't stress enough this feeling of "WHY DID I WAIT?!"