Weight Loss Support - does this sound normal to you?

View Full Version : does this sound normal to you?

doudou25
04-14-2007, 11:28 AM
hello there,
i don't know how to start, bear with me and try to make sense out of all of this. i just want to say that i'm about to give up on everything. i can't seem to stick to a diet, i start off the day right and then at the end of the day when i come back from school and all, i find myself binge eating. This has been happening constantly for the past 2-3 weeks, where i managed to put on 10 kg (22lbs) in less than 3 weeks! is it normal? what's going on here? pple gain that much in months not weeks! can you imagine fitting comfortably in a pair of jeans 3 weeks ago and now you need 2 sizes bigger? is my rate of weight gain normal? is there something wrong with me? because i sure think this is abnormal. i don't know i'm in a state where i'm like " %^&*( it!, you'll never be skinny again! so you might as well keep binge eating till you blow up and disappear!" Anyone who's been thru this before? or going thru this at the moment? i sure need to be pointed in the right direction ... any suggestions?
thank you all for ur time and consideration,
God Bless

HeatherAngel
04-14-2007, 11:44 AM
Hi :)

I'm going to advise you to see your doctor. 22 lbs in three weeks is a LOT to put on... and there might be something else going on...

Certainly depression (trust me, I KNOW!) might cause this kind of weight gain and overeating, and you should definitely have your thyroid checked out. At least it is a place to start, and you won't keep wondering 'what is WRONG with me?'

Let us know how you get on, hang in there, and check back in regularly for support here - this is a great place to be!!

Heather :)

friendlykat4u
04-14-2007, 11:45 AM
Hi doudou, I completely understand where you're coming from. I never really paid attention to how much weight I gained in a certain amount of time, but I can tell you that it happened very quickly. Every body reacts differently to food, especially if you go on binge and eat excessive amounts of high calorie food. Don't give up on yourself! You're the only one who can make it happen, it's so hard I know, but if you don't do it, nobody else is going to do it for you.

I'd strongly suggest you go to the "Maintenance Library", you'll find a lot of infomation about weight loss and the reality behind it all. It's a very eye opening forum, and contrary to what the title says, it's for everyone who's serious about losing weight and keeping it off for good. Trust me, go there! :)

Here's a big HUG for you,:hug:, don't let this get you down, put it behind and move forward, you can do it!

doudou25
04-14-2007, 11:58 AM
thank you Heather and Friendlycat4u for your inputs.
Heather i am dealing with depression and that's why i binge eat very often. i went to see my doctor at school and tried to explain to him my situation and all he said is that i need to take control over my eating habits. I told him that i try all the time, every day yet i collapse at the end of the day when i feel the loneliest. (i am a graduate student far away from home, living by myself, no friends around). Anyway today i started atkins again since i feel that this is the only plan that help control my cravings if i do it right. ( i am a big bread addict, that's where my calories come from, bread and cheese).
thank you guys for your support, greatly appreciated. I just need to find the will and power in me again.

HeatherAngel
04-14-2007, 12:54 PM
Honey - you need a new doctor!! I've been on a variety of anti-depressants over the years, and only this year (and I am talking about 15 years of switching back and forth and all over the place) have I been stabilized enough to actually focus on my weight in a positive way.

'Control your eating' when depressed is bulls@#$. I gained a LOT of weight at University and during my postgraduate work... and I can only speak for myself, but it would have been impossible for me to lose more than about 15 pounds, and I couldn't keep it off once I did...

Seriously, it's only my opinion, but you need to see someone else, someone who will take you seriously. I managed to gain over 100lbs in a similar situation to you, and now that I am 'stabilized', I wonder how I ever did.

:hug: Heather :hug:

PS - sorry - meant to add: Good for you for being here, for starting Atkins and for looking after yourself!!! :)

JayEll
04-14-2007, 01:20 PM
doudou25, This is not normal. It's unbelievable that you could gain 22 pounds in 2-3 weeks, so it could be that you have an actual medical condition that is responsible. If not, then you are having serious psychological difficulties and need help. Go to your school's counseling center and talk to a professional counselor AND go see a doctor. Do you have friends at school you could talk to as well? I hope so--because we can only help so much here, being in cyberspace and all.

Please go get some face-to-face help! Let us know how you're doing! :hug:

Jay

doudou25
04-14-2007, 02:59 PM
couldn't agree more Heather, i think that it is impossible to take control over your life especially over your eating habits when depressed! and the forums here could help to a certain extent Jay, unfortunately with no friends around this is my only resource. As for the counseling part, i went and talked to a psychologist at school and she ended up referring me to someone else so i gave up on her since i specifically asked her to find someone within a walking distance from school yet she did the opposite. (i thought those pple are good listeners!)
The hardest thing to me when dieting is to keep myself busy and not think about food. Since i'm either at school or home all day (like today), i tend to start eating and eating to make time go faster. However, it's 3 pm and i'm still hanging in there , though not sure for how long. Yet i will do my best to control myself and just keep myself busy by studying since the finals are next week. And oh how hard it is to not eat junk food while studying for the exams, with all the stress and anxiety.
Anyways thank you guys for your support!

JayEll
04-14-2007, 05:10 PM
doudou25, you can't just give up on counseling because one person made a mistake. Go back to her and tell her it won't work to go that far, that you can't do it, and who else could she recommend? Same with seeing a doctor. And there must be some people in your classes or graduate program who can help. It sounds like you could be isolating yourself further--don't do it! You aren't all alone in the world!

Jay

Kery
04-14-2007, 05:13 PM
I'll stand with the others here, you definitely need a better physician. Telling you that was just bull**** in my opinion, it just... can't help at all. "Get control over your eating". Well, DUH! Sure, nobody at all can realize that on their own. If it was that easy, this term wouldn't even exist... :rolleyes:

It may also indeed be a medical condition, given the gaining rate you mention. Hypothyroidism comes to mind first, however there might be other factors. (A shine in the dark, though: if it's a thyroid disorder, you can have hope in losing weight again after the medication has started kicking in. There are several people on the forum here, even, who are in this case, and managed to lose *and* maintain. :))

Now, this may seem odd, but since you're a student as well, how exactly do you work? I mean, do you go home straight after classes to work on your papers? If it's the case, would it help, maybe, if you were to do that at the campus library, a library that is open late enough in the evening (like 10 pm), or in any similar place in which eating isn't really an option? (Unwrapping a Twix bar at the library here is enough to get you angry stares, so you do it once, but not twice.) Of course, I know this won't do anything for the depression, or against feeling alone, but... it might help against the binges in what seems to be a daily time of darkness. (I, too, tend to find it hard to not much during study time, but if I'm at the library, I know it's forbidden to buy food, and the whole 'ambiance' just tends to 'kill the eating mood', so to say. I don't know. It might work for you as well.)

doudou25
04-14-2007, 05:56 PM
all right you guys here's the deal ... as soon as those 2 weeks are over (since i have finals and need every second of the day to study), i will go back to my counselor at school and ask her to refer me to some1 near by. As for studying at the library, i find it terrible since you are allowed to bring in beverages and food if you're not in the main computer room. And oh my God! you should see the amount and type of food pple bring along with them. Also in order for me to get the most out of studying i prefer to be at home where i'm sitting comfortably and all. Anyways thanks again for all your inputs. I know it's going to be a long and tough journey especially with the ongoing binge eating but i will try my best to not fall in that cycle again and whenever i'm about to binge eat i will ask myself the following "and then what?"... i know that food could keep me busy and i know that it could relieve the stress but that only happens momentarily. and to be honest my depression has a lot to do with the weight i put on in such a short period of time and i believe that as soon as those kilos are gone, i'll be more cheerful again ... So i just need to focus and dropping those kilos and hopefully, i will start feeling better physically and emotionally.

HeatherAngel
04-14-2007, 06:14 PM
Okay - two quick suggestions:
1. Go see the counselor again ASAP, and ask to be referred elsewhere for TWO WEEKS FROM NOW - that way there isn't a waiting period when your exams end.

2. Walk. Take a walk and breathe deeply. Doesn't have to be far - just do it. Then come home and study again. You WILL feel better - I'd bet on it!

Godo luck with exams - keep checking in and letting us know how you are!!

Heather :D

senorita
04-14-2007, 11:39 PM
I agree mostly with what everyone else has said. Good luck with your exams, but please make sure you book that doctor's appointment asap! Before you crack open a book!

Anyway, I just wanted to say that I think it might be possible, but it would depend on what a person was eating. Processed food is SO high in calories that it's easy to go over a reasonable daily limit just while eating 'normal' sized meals and a few snacks. If someone was binging as well, they could probably easily take in an extra 3500 calories, which would give a rapid weight gain like you experienced.

I guess what I'm saying is, I'm not discounting that there could be a medical reason for your rapid gain, but that you should also think about what you ate, add up the calories and see how much extra you took in and the weight gain that would result in.

cajungal328
04-15-2007, 12:34 AM
We all go through times when we feel like we are losing control of our eating. I, just a few days ago, I felt all my control slipping away, and I began to panic. I wrote to the ladies here and they talked me through it. Now, I feel like I am back in control again. Thank you, ladies, for helping me through it...

Anyway, do you record all the calories that you eat each day. If not, maybe you should start. Many of us use fitday.com, it's really good for keeping track of your calories and activites etc... I aim for 1500 calories a day, even though I sometimes go over or under, I do try to reach this goal each day...

Well, 22 lbs gained in 3 weeks does not sound normal. I do agree with the doctor when he told you that you need to control your eating habits. You need to learn to tell yourself "no" when you want that bag of chips or cookies or whatever you like to pig out on. You can control it. It may be hard, but you can.... It's up to you... If you like to snack often, maybe snack on lower calorie snacks. Or maybe eat meals that are more satisfying so that you won't feel the urge to snack. Stay active, becuase if you sit around alot, then we all tend to do alot of eaing out of boredom. Also, try drinking alot of water or tea, they tend to curb your appetite.

As for the rapid weight gain, Here are maybe a few things that may be the cause. If you are on birth control, especially the BC shots, you may be gaining weight rapidly becuase of that. Alot of women I know complain of rapid weight gain becuase of BC pills or shots. I have never been on them myself, but my friend was and she gained 25 lbs in like 2 months... when she stopped the shots, she lost the weight.

Also, have you had your thyroid checked? A malfunctioning thyroid can cause rapid weight gain. Maybe ask your doctor to run a complete blood workup on you, where they test all your levels at one time...

Also, do you have problems with water retention? Do you often feel swollen or extremely bloated? Especially at that TOM, we tend to put on sometimes 5 lbs or more due to water retention... After the TOM, we tend to release all of the water we retained...

Kery
04-15-2007, 02:17 AM
Aw, that's too bad for the library. :| Every single one of them I've been to always had big signs "Food/Drinks not allowed", so I thought it was kind of the norm. Which is normal IMHO, but that's another matter. Well, sorry for the 'bad' piece of advice then! The walking bit mentioned above, on the other hand, sounds indeed like a good thing.

doudou25
04-15-2007, 10:10 AM
thank you all for your help! thanks for taking time out to consider my situation. (i am not on birth control pills) however, i haven't had my period since January which is out of the norm for me since i get a regular cycle every month. I think it's all because of the stress from school. I will be seeing my doctor this wednesday with regard to that. I wont' go for the birth control pills to induce my period though. I heard they make you gain weight and that's the last thing i need now. A walk could do me good every once in a while yet so far i haven't been that lucky with the weather here in Boston!!! As for the binge eating i'll try to keep it under control as much as possible. thanks again and God Bless!

nelie
04-15-2007, 10:19 AM
doudou,
I had a gyn tell me once that they are happy if you have a period at least twice a year. I went on BC pills to regulate my hormones which gave me a regular period and it actually helped me lose weight. You just have to look into the type of BC pills. Some are prone to weight gain while others aren't.

FullSteamAhead
04-15-2007, 11:29 AM
hi doudou,

I saw your post and just read through the thread and a few things came to mind. You mentioned seeing a doctor and also a counselor at school. I am assuming that the doctor is a medical doctor? If so, I would be a bit suprised that tests were not ordered or even a referral to another phsysician. I agree with the other posters that you need to see a physician andhave some testing done. I would like to offer a few suggestions:

Please call a physician and set up an appt. I am sure you know how crazy the wait can be sometimes for an appt. I would describe the situation (physical aspect) on the phone telling them you have recently had an abrupt and significant weight gain and are concerned there may be something phsyically wrong and would like an appt. as soon as possible. I don't mean for my post to scare you but this way you are bound to get an appt. sooner than if you were to not say anything. Also, the very first thing a therapist would have you do is set up an appt. with a physician to rule out any physical factor.....so this way you will have a jump-start on things.

As for the counselor at school, I am wondering if maybe there was not a therapist available within walking distance. I think that given your circumstances, you may benefit from an outreach worker. An outreach worker is a therapist that comes to you! so that you don't have to go to the clinic. There are many people that don't have a means of getting to the clinic (for many many reasons) and the outreach worker will go to your home or school. They are much more readily available nowadays then they once were (particularly from mental health clinics). When you go back to your counselor ask or specify about an outreach worker. THe other thing that you could do is call a nearby health clinic and make a self referall. You just call and say your situation and that you would like an outreach worker, also you can specify gender if you want. For example, if you feel more comfortable with a female, you could tell them that. If your not up to doing this on your own, your not alone, often times a referall comes from another source. I am hoping your counselor can give you a hand with this.

It must be difficult and maybe feel overwhelming right now to think about and do these things, with your finals and all else that is going on. I think that if you can take a little time to first set up an appt. etc. with the doc (I know these things are never fun) but do you think that just getting the appt. in place will ease your mind a bit? and perhaps make it a bit easier to focus on your school work, etc.?

In the meantime, hmmmm, how about drawing up a list? A list of things that you can do when you feel like bingeing. Just an idea, but the first thing on the list could be psychological, something like, "every time I get a negative thought or say to myself that I cannot do it, I will immediately replace that thought with a positive one like "I CAN DO IT' . You could even make up positive type poster things and tape them to your fridge.

You can then add concrete things to the list,,,, for example: grab a large glass of ice-water to sip on, put on my sneakers and go for a walk, call someone close and supportive to me to talk, grab the crunch raw veggies in my fridge (brocolli, carrots, etc.) to munch on. These are just some ideas, add as many to the list as you can think of and then when you feel those feelings (of binging, loneliness, etc.) start creeping up, look at your list and pick one or more of those things to do along with reminding yourself of your number one on the list.

I hope I was of some help, I am glad that you reached out here and continue to do so, this place is super! Good luck on your exams sweety and keep us posted, ok? : )

doudou25
04-15-2007, 11:55 AM
Thank you so much FullSteamAhead for your suggestions. i feel that i definitely need to consult another physician. And most importantly get help to stop the binge eating because it is destroying me. One thing that i forgot to add is that i have had blood tests few months ago to see why i have been suffering from fatigue and low in energy most of the time and it turned out that i am anemic. I am currently taking Iron caplets since the Fe level is low and have noticed some improvement.
As for the calories consumed during a binge, it could get well around 3000-4000 calories which is a lot.

3mom
04-15-2007, 12:50 PM
Dou - I am struggling right now too - Hang in there - and listen to all the great advice here - I will be thinking of you and I am glad you are going to see a doctor about the weight gain....Good Luck and try to keep looking to a better future!!!!

cajungal328
04-15-2007, 10:03 PM
OK, this is so not my business, nor is it anyone else's. Please forgive me for asking this but:

You say you're not on the pill, you haven't had a period in 3 or 4 months, you've gained quite a few pounds in the last few weeks, and you are incredibly hungry and tired all the time. Is there a possibility that you could be pregnant? You don't have to answer this if you don't want to...

I don't mean to give you more to worry about, especially with your finals coming up. But, if there is this possibility, I'm sure this thought has crossed your mind... If not, than disreguard the question..

FullSteamAhead
04-15-2007, 10:19 PM
;) ;) glad to hear your taking the iron supplements : ) As for the rest, doc, doc, doc! lol you must hate me! but see what i mean? It will save you a lot of greif! go for it girl! ;) ONce you rule out all the physical components, you are scott free. It will help ease your mind. If you get stuck along the way, dont hesitate to write okay?

doudou25
04-15-2007, 10:23 PM
No i'm not pregnant, and that's the first thing they asked me at school and checked for.

cajungal328
04-17-2007, 11:20 PM
Forgive the question if it seemed rude or inappropriate, i just thought the symptoms you speak of seem to go hand in hand with pregnancy....

doudou25
04-18-2007, 01:17 PM
Forgive the question if it seemed rude or inappropriate, i just thought the symptoms you speak of seem to go hand in hand with pregnancy....

Oh no please don't worry about it...

Beach Patrol
04-18-2007, 03:35 PM
Thank you so much FullSteamAhead for your suggestions. i feel that i definitely need to consult another physician. And most importantly get help to stop the binge eating because it is destroying me. One thing that i forgot to add is that i have had blood tests few months ago to see why i have been suffering from fatigue and low in energy most of the time and it turned out that i am anemic. I am currently taking Iron caplets since the Fe level is low and have noticed some improvement.
As for the calories consumed during a binge, it could get well around 3000-4000 calories which is a lot.

You DO sound depressed (been there/done that & went back for two more rounds!) - and if you are anemic, that explains a good deal of your problem.

You say when you binge it could get to the 3000-4000 calorie mark? Let's logically pick this apart.

1) 3500 calories = 1 pound
So to gain 22 pounds, you would have to over-eat by 77,000 calories. Do you think that's possible to do withint a 3-week period?

2) Are you bloaty? Upset stomach? Feel like barfing? (Do you throw up/make yourself throw up, etc.?)

3) You say you're very attracted to cheese & bread. That usually is one of the 1st things you should ditch during diet time. And if you CAN'T ditch it, then stop bringing it into your apt (or dorm room, or car, class, library, wherever).

4) You sound VERY stressed out. That seems to go hand in hand with depression, at least it has whenever I've suffered from it. Of course, school can naturally do that to you, too.

5) I agree with the others who insist you go to a different doctor. Your health - not just about fat & so forth - but your HEALTH may depend on getting this problem under control.

Please just DON'T give up. Keep coming here! Tell us how it's going... talk it out. If nothing else, you'll make some cool cyber friends. :) :hug:

carolva77
04-18-2007, 03:47 PM
Do NOT DIET... I cant stress this enough. Diets lead me to an awful eating dsorder.
Make small changes in your diet. Eat more veggies, more fruits and dairy (some people say fat free, something I will start doing soon).
Eat your protein, and exercise, but please DO NOT DIET, Diets do not work.
Eat healthy, and be active. Do it for life. That works!

doudou25
04-18-2007, 05:11 PM
Beach Patrol, here's the deal, i don't have food at home, but after a long day at school (with all the stress and the frustration that comes along with it) i get back home and feel miserable and lonely... it's the lonely part that's killing me. As soon as i put my backpack down, i rush to the store nearby and grab whatever seems appealing to me (mostly cold cereal, bread and cheese). Here's the thing, after i over stuff myself, i wake up the next day even more miserable and decide to start the atkins diet (but only consuming around 1000-1200 cals max). Then after a day or 2 on the diet, i give up. this is how those 3 weeks have been. It's a binge for a day or 2 and then a diet for a day or 2. something along that line. I have been on the atkins diet before and managed to drop around 20lbs. When it comes to exercising i don't ... I'd rather starve myself than run on a treadmill .. I used to play basketball a lot but since there's no one to play with around here, i gave that up.
Anyway thanks for your help

JayEll
04-18-2007, 05:21 PM
Hey doudou25,

Sounds like you know what your pattern is. So, how do you break that pattern? Can you vary the time that you get home? Can you keep some food at home, that you buy earlier in the day, say, on a weekend, and have on hand already for when you get home? That way you won't be rushing out to grab anything off the store shelf. You can make a deal with yourself to eat what you have, and you can make sure it is healthy food. Also, you could have some breakfast foods on hand so that is taken care of as well for the next morning.

You seem to be swinging between wanting to be really strict and eating whatever you can lay hands on. You have to find a middle ground here--I'm sure this is not news to you. Have you made the appointment yet that people were encouraging you to make?

Jay

doudou25
04-18-2007, 05:29 PM
Hello Jay,
i always try to talk myself into not binge eating, yet i also find myself saying" who cares? life is short you might as well enjoy the things u like most (eating)". Also it's really hard to cope with the fact that i gained so much in so little time. It's hard to realize that a few weeks ago, i was very comfortable in these new pair of jeans that i bought and that now, i can't even pull them up to my waist. So i look at myself in the mirror and say "i lost it, u can never be skinny again, pple will go back to teasing you about ur weight" and so much more goes on in my head.
As for seeing a doctor, today i went and talked to a physician about my period, she said it's mainly because of all the stress and prescribed some pills which i'm supposed to take for like 10 days and they should induce my period afterwards if not i should check back with her. Tomorrow first thing in the morning, i will go and schedule and appointment with a counselor and see if he/she can refer to someone close by.
Thanks for checking with me again :)

JayEll
04-18-2007, 05:45 PM
doudou25, :hug:

Yeah, life can be short, but it can also be long! Lot of my friends are waking up and going--like--Hey! What happened? I'm still here and what have I been doing?

The semester will be over soon--and you can start to depressurize--I'm glad you saw a dr. and that you are going to look into the counseling appt. You're a grad student, right? It can be a hard time even under the best of circumstances. Gosh, right now with current events, just being at a school seems stressful!

Check back in-- take care-- you're not alone.

Jay

doudou25
05-07-2007, 03:36 PM
Hello,
i went to see my doctor today. He prescribed Celexa 20 mg. I am also seeing a counselor at school and will later on be referred to someone else. I am really worried about gaining weight on the drug but my depression is uncontrollable. Any suggestions you guys about ADs? i've read about them and from what i get is that the response varies from one person to another. I am just scared that if i gain more weight on ADs then i might end up more depressed and isolated.
Thanks again for ur help

JayEll
05-07-2007, 04:03 PM
Doudou! :hug: Thanks for checking in--I was wondering what had happened to you!

This sounds like a good first step for you. Try not to get ahead of yourself with your thinking and worrying. You can read all sorts of things about AD drugs, but you'll have to see how they work for you. If you start feeling like they aren't doing what they should, then the thing to do is check with your doctor again. Often dosage needs to be adjusted after the first few weeks.

I'm glad you're going to see a counselor--that's another positive step!

Don't over-stress about the weight--just follow what's already been suggested. Eat healthy foods--keep a supply of good foods around so you'll always have a healthy snack. Drink enough water. Get enough rest! You are probably really tired from the last semester, yes? So you need to recuperate there.

Just take it day at a time...

Jay

Gamerchick
05-07-2007, 04:29 PM
I just want to let you know you're not alone. Try binge eating for more than a year for every single day. And how about gaining 90 pounds in a few months.

I've been going through that for a long, long time.

My question is if you're worrying all the time about dieting, trying to start a new diet each day, and if you're worrying about calories or counting?

If you are, and you feel like you need someone to talk to, I've been through the same thing. People say to go to a doctor, but a doctor gives you medicine, not control.

So give me a message and maybe we can talk. I'm beginning to think I'm getting the hang of it myself.

doudou25
05-07-2007, 07:50 PM
Thank you guys so much for your support. I will be taking it one day at a time and try and enjoy the summer if at all possible. Thanks again and will be checking in occasionally.