South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 04-13-2007, 01:21 PM   #1  
Michael Ann 1973

Post 3 More Pounds Lost!!! And other random ramblings...

3 more pounds since Tuesday...so that makes 7 for this week! I am really working this program and I feel awesome

Random stuff:

source: http://health.howstuffworks.com/natu...-ga.htm#author

Do any of you use wheat germ? I have found an excellent way to make crusts for cheesecake or strawberry pie. I take 1/2 cup of wheat germ and mix with spenda and cinnamon and ICBINB. I never measured the butter...just enough to make it stick together. Then I bake it for 10 minutes and let it cool.

Here is the low down on wheat germ:
Wheat germ, a health-food basic, is the embryo of the wheat kernel. It is one portion of the wheat kernel that is removed when it is processed into refined flour. Wheat germ certainly deserves its reputation for being a powerhouse of nutrients, as its profile strikingly illustrates.

Health Benefits

Nutritional Values
Serving Size: 1 oz, toasted Calories: 108
Fat: 3 g
Saturated Fat: 1 g
Cholesterol: 0 mg
Carbohydrate: 14 g
Protein: 8 g
Dietary Fiber: 4 g
Sodium: 1 mg
Folic Acid: 100 mcg
Pantothenic Acid: <1 mg Riboflavin: <1 mg
Thiamin: 1 mg
Vitamin B6: <1 mg
Vitamin E: 4 mg
Calcium: 13 mg
Copper: <1 mg
Iron: 3 mg
Magnesium: 91 mg
Manganese: 6 mg
Phosphorus: 325 mg
Potassium: 269 mg
Zinc: 5

Face it, wheat germ is a nutrition standout. It's one of the best sources of folic acid. That's good news, since it's recommended that all women of childbearing age get sufficient amounts of this nutrient to prevent neural-tube birth defects. Folic acid reduces a compound in your body called homocysteine. Lower levels of homocysteine have been linked to reducing the risk of heart disease, osteoporosis bone fractures, and dementia.

Wheat germ also contains a phytonutrient called L-ergothioneine, which is a powerful antioxidant that is not destroyed by cooking. The fiber boost you get from wheat germ is phenomenal.

Selection and Storage

Because of its unsaturated fat content, wheat germ goes rancid easily, especially if it's raw. Fresh wheat germ should smell something like toasted nuts, not musty. Unopened, a sealed jar of wheat germ will keep about one year on the shelf. Always store opened wheat germ in the refrigerator in a tightly sealed container, where it'll keep up to nine months.

Preparation and Serving Tips

Wheat germ makes a nutritious and often undetectable addition to a myriad of dishes, including breads, pancakes, waffles, cookies, cereals, and milk shakes. It's a lower-fat alternative to granola that can be added to yogurt and cereals. When adding wheat germ to baked goods or quick breads, you can replace one half to one cup of the flour with it. Because wheat germ tends to absorb moisture, you may want to add one to two tablespoons of water for every one-quarter cup of wheat germ you add to a recipe.

As you work on your weight-loss plan to cut back on fatty meat dishes, remember that wheat germ can provide you with those vitamins and minerals you may be missing, as well as give you fiber to satisfy your appetite.

Another thing I have been eating is FiberOne cereal...it tastes sweet, but has no sugar! It is great with milk or dry. I am actually going to try to make my favorite dessert, "pretzel salad", with it.

OK...go buy some wheat germ!!!

Last edited by Sunnybunny; 04-13-2007 at 02:09 PM. Reason: adding source data
Old 04-13-2007, 01:29 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 222/=ticker=/150

Height: 5'7"

Congrats on the 3 lbs Where can you get?
Old 04-13-2007, 01:30 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 222/=ticker=/150

wheat germ
Old 04-13-2007, 01:33 PM   #4  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

It's usually found in jars with cereals or in bulk at bulk food places. It should be refrigerated after opening.
Old 04-13-2007, 01:41 PM   #5  
Just...t.

S/C/G: 160/125 (135 on planet Earth!)

Height: 5'5"

Wow, that was a lot of information-Thanks for the advice. I've been meaning to sign up for some cooking classes at my local organic market.

3 ponds since TUES????? WOW that is phenomenal. I could only dream of results like that! Of course not having a scale, it's a moot point, huh???

WTG Sunny!!! Thanks for the inspiration!!!
Old 04-13-2007, 02:10 PM   #6  
Michael Ann 1973

Yeah and that is phase 2...
Old 04-13-2007, 03:07 PM   #7  
Goddess

S/C/G: 244.6/212.8/135

Height: 5'1/2"

You are doing so awesome! WTG!
Old 04-13-2007, 08:48 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 186/147/135

Height: 5'1"

Sunnybunny, I make a pie crust just like the one you make, using Fibre One cereal instead. I toss all the ingredients into the food processor and process until it's the right consistency. Thanks for the idea of using wheat germ, I'm eager to try making it that way, too. I have made the pretzel salad substituting Fibre One, and it turns out great! I also like to substitute crushed Fibre One in the place of flour when I make Apple Crisp.
Old 04-13-2007, 11:04 PM   #9  
Not Giving Up!

S/C/G: 351/ticker/160

I used to love dipping carrot sticks in wheat germ when I was a kid. The nutty taste is really yummy. But it's been years since I've eaten it - I guess I should remedy that!
Closed Thread