Weight Loss Support - Don't you just hate...

View Full Version : Don't you just hate...

healthytoad
04-12-2007, 09:48 PM
when you are reading a good book, then they start descriping some character as huge..gross....fat..couldn't have been a cheerleader..my she has let her self go.. always they have horrible sense of style, and not very bright. Then they go on to say she must weigh at least "insert weight over 125 here" she has to be at least a size "insert size over 8 here" And you realize they just described your weight and size! Made me want to throw the book across the room and feed the rest of my dinner to the dogs :P grrrrrrrrrrrr :fr:

chelbell95
04-12-2007, 09:52 PM
You know what is even worse when people in everyday life say things like that.

Don't you just love it when someone you interact with says something like that and then they back check because they realize they "OPEN MOUTH INSERT FOOT".

I know for most who I know love me dearly....just don't view me the way I view myself sometimes.. and I have insecurities of course.

But...sometimes people just can be rude with unecessary comments....
Face it heavy people are so stereotyped!!!

noodleskadoodle
04-12-2007, 09:58 PM
AG!!! Sounds like a bad book! Haha. But yeah, I understand that feeling! I also feel like no one who really watches their weight (all of my skinny friends) know how to estimate a weight and what is a lot or not. They automatically think anyone over 130 pounds or something is abnormal. Ridiculous.

maegdaeien
04-12-2007, 10:05 PM
I remember reading a Stephen King book one time (don't remember which one), and a heavy girl was described as having a "tragically lovely face." What, like it's so horrible to be pretty and overweight? Like she would be pretty if not for her body? I got SO angry.

I also have a problem with romance novels. The female leads are always described as tall, fragile, and "willowy" (I've seen that word in more than a few Nora Roberts books). One was even described as being 110 pounds. Come on!! WHO is 110 pounds?! Does she not know her audience at all-- and is that what she thinks is the feminine ideal?

jtammy
04-12-2007, 10:11 PM
Oh man, I know what you mean. I read the Stephanie Plum series by Janet Evanovich and she has a character that she has always described as very large. I pictured her as a 250+ lb woman. In her last book, she said the character weighed 180 (as best I can remember). I know I did a double take and thought WTF??? That's certainly not large...... Kind of tainted the whole series for me.

ennay
04-12-2007, 11:25 PM
Or Jemima J - she tries to make up for it at the end by saying she got over her obsession with being super thin by settling in to a comfortable british size 10 - which is something like an american size 6. But all I can think is---she is supposed to be blessed that her crush who didnt notice her when she was heavy fell head over heels in love with her at a size infinitesimal and then "still loves her" at a size 6?

Optical Goddess
04-12-2007, 11:31 PM
In the same vein, a lot of media portrays the 'ideal' woman as having long blonde hair...could we get any more cookie cutter? I think that the decision makers have a Mr. Potato head type woman, so they can put on what ever hair and eye color and boob size they want. I remember as a kid trying to find dolls that looked like me....

PerthChick
04-13-2007, 12:48 AM
I just re-read a Patricia Cornwell book in which she described one of the victims as "massively obese". I had a picture in my own head of someone over 300 pounds - but no; Cornwell was referring to a 180 pound woman.

I wish her website had a 'contact' section, because I wanted to write to her and let her know exactly what I thought.

Ready2ShedLBS
04-13-2007, 04:07 AM
This post reminds me of how I used to hear... " you have such a beautiful face" and my mother would say.. " you'd be so pretty if you just lost weight" grrrrrrrr... now I hear.. " OMG that CANT be you, that doesnt even look like you in the face" One time this guy said.... " no thats not you, even if you were that fat, you are way better looking than she is" Wtf?! What do you mean.. that is me ya idiot lol.. anyways.. maybe its late.. but thats what I thought about when reading this post

Kery
04-13-2007, 05:47 AM
I just re-read a Patricia Cornwell book in which she described one of the victims as "massively obese". I had a picture in my own head of someone over 300 pounds - but no; Cornwell was referring to a 180 pound woman.

I wish her website had a 'contact' section, because I wanted to write to her and let her know exactly what I thought.

o_O

Maybe if said woman was 4", she could be considered as "massively obese" for her size, but 180 pounds? Some people need a reality check. *I'm* on the short side, and even though I'd be labelled as "obese" at 180, according to the charts, the term "massively" still wouldn't apply.

weemissnaughty
04-13-2007, 07:26 AM
omg i totally agree - and its the same with tv programmes - the person who is described as the "fat" one is always about a size 12 :devil: same wi ugly betty - i personally think she's gorgeous wi a lovely figure!!! (hav u seen pics of her when she's not in the programme goin out!! shes so purty! lol)

jtammy
04-13-2007, 07:42 AM
omg i totally agree - and its the same with tv programmes - the person who is described as the "fat" one is always about a size 12 :devil: same wi ugly betty - i personally think she's gorgeous wi a lovely figure!!! (hav u seen pics of her when she's not in the programme goin out!! shes so purty! lol)

Agreed!! She looks normal with a nice curvy figure! How can they call her fat?

Massively obese at 180 lbs?? That's just silly....

maegdaeien
04-13-2007, 08:43 AM
Tammy, I had the same reaction! I always loved Lula (that's her name, right?) because I think she's fun and I love that she has the guts to wear animal-printed spandex even if she's bigger, and when I saw she's 180 I literally put my book down. When I was 180 (only 5 pounds ago) I was "overweight," not "obese" and CERTIANLY not "massively obese"!

It's weird that people seem to think anything over 150 is gigantic.

AllyCat30
04-13-2007, 09:24 AM

Whaaa? Puh-lease.

I have been that weight (and higher) and I was not "massively obese". I certainly wasn't happy with the way I looked or my fitness level but my BMI was not in the upper obese category. Hmmfp.

Sunnigummi
04-13-2007, 09:52 AM
This is why I stopped reading romance novels years ago. I found their character descriptions too assinine to subject myself to them any longer. Apparently, in the 1800s, gyms and tanning booths were in because even though they lived in England, men still managed to have a great tan and chiseled features and abs whereas women managed to have a milky white complexion with a muscular physique even though they were dainty. Color me confused. That and the nonexistent plots were just a head twirler. In one novel, the man and woman are in bed after a long night and wake up only to...eat tarts. Is that how they get their abs?? Just curious. Sorry for the rant, but romance novels get me SO irked. :mad:

finn
04-13-2007, 11:14 AM
My experience isn't quite in the same lines of this thread but here goes....a few weeks ago I joined up to a new tag-rugby team, about 15 players and nobody really knew eachother beforehand. Well yesterday after training I left one of the guys home in my car and we were chatting about the team...he was talking about two players in particular that are 'packing on the pounds', 'grossly overweight' and 'terribly unfit' ..but we'd just have to 'make do with them' - now these two players are a bit overweight but his comments really made me mad! The guy obviously had no idea I was ever heavier (way heavier than either of the two he was talking about) so I just changed the subject and never replied to him.

It made me sooooo mad! Grrrrrrr!

Janie Canuck
04-13-2007, 11:14 AM
I know what you mean - my friend and I were watching Bridget Jones, which I love. But all the references in the book to how fat she is???? Give me a break. Even though teeny tiny Renee Zellwegger had to gain weight to play her, Bridget is slightly plump at WORST. Really, she just looks a little soft, not even particularly big.

Lee Ann
04-13-2007, 11:22 AM
i have read my share of romance novels...at last count i have over 2,000. and out of that 2,000 there is only one that sticks out in my mind as "fat friendly" its called "wishes" by jude deveraux. and in it the main character is fat (its been awhile since i read it, so i dunno the exact poundage) and she eats a lot (emotional eater), like they make references to how she can eat a whole cake at once and blah blah blah...(although i do remember thinking when i read it that if she eats like they described she's be a lot fatter than how big they said she was) anyway... her family is always making fun of her and making rude comments to other people about her..you know same old same old...but then along comes her prince charming and sweeps her off her feet. she can't understand why he would like her etc etc.... anyway, i really liked it.

baffled111
04-13-2007, 02:56 PM
I know what you mean - my friend and I were watching Bridget Jones, which I love. But all the references in the book to how fat she is???? Give me a break. Even though teeny tiny Renee Zellwegger had to gain weight to play her, Bridget is slightly plump at WORST. Really, she just looks a little soft, not even particularly big.

I think the difference with Bridget Jones is since the entire book is in diary form, all the fat thoughts and comments come from her consciousness. I, for one, can understand what it is to *feel* fat without actually being fat.

Jemima J. was incredibly annoying though. Who goes from really overweight to lean and toned in two weeks?

mandalinn82
04-13-2007, 03:07 PM
Nothing count taint Lula for me...so hilarious...

but I was rather miffed as well finding out she was only 180 lbs. I mean, her size is the running joke of the series! I had her pegged at 250 at least.

jtammy
04-13-2007, 04:16 PM
Okay, well I love Lula, and maybe "taint" is a little strong. But I love her for the same reason Kate mentioned. I like that (in my mind) she was a big woman embracing her curves and wearing her leopard print spandex and feathers anyway. Now I find out she's 180 lbs. I guess I felt a little betrayed..... I would have been less surprised to find out she was 280.

But I'm still on the library's waiting list for "Lean Mean Thirteen". ;)

ennay
04-13-2007, 04:42 PM
I think the difference with Bridget Jones is since the entire book is in diary form, all the fat thoughts and comments come from her consciousness. I, for one, can understand what it is to *feel* fat without actually being fat.

Jemima J. was incredibly annoying though. Who goes from really overweight to lean and toned in two weeks?

I think it was more like a couple months, but really really unhealthily. Like 400-500 calories and 2+ hours of workouts a day. But thats another one, they describe her as being HUGE - and also tall, and then she is what 202 lbs to start? Sorry, the description doesnt match.

I agree on the BJ thing, lots of girls THINK they are fat when they are not - so from a diary point of view it works, but do you know they lowered the weight from the book because they couldnt have someone be believable 150 lbs. And the media made such a to do about how "brave" renee was to do the bunny outfit in the scene where she is walking home and looking jiggly. Puuuhhhhleeeeese. And then to pay her extra to "pork up" for BJII. Should have just hired a normal sized actress in the first place -

I've been a victim of someone saying in my presence that anything over 150 is obese

maegdaeien
04-13-2007, 05:20 PM
I'm branching into other media here, but has anyone else noticed this VAST discrepancy in movies: anyone over 140 is considered the "fat and funny friend," but the female leads are always eating. And always eating bad stuff. "How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days," "Someone Like You," "2 Weeks Notice"... the list goes on and on. So what are we supposed to think here, that it's funny and cute to overeat so long as you don't gain a pound?

Janie Canuck
04-13-2007, 05:29 PM
I think Kate Winslet would have been perfect as Bridget Jones...more naturally curvy looking, though she does go up and down a bit.

baffled111
04-13-2007, 05:38 PM
I think Kate Winslet would have been perfect as Bridget Jones...more naturally curvy looking, though she does go up and down a bit.

Nice idea. Kate Winslet is gorgeous, and also really funny. Did anyone see her on the first episode of Extras last year (the Ricky Gervais show). She was hilarious. And she is both curvier and prettier than Renee Z--probably too pretty to be Bridget Jones, now that I think of it.

baffled111
04-13-2007, 05:39 PM
I've been a victim of someone saying in my presence that anything over 150 is obese
Wouldn't a person be obese at 150 only if they were about 4 foot tall? I was 150 a few weeks ago, and I wasn't even close to overweight, let alone obese! Did you hit the person for being an idiot?

Tealeaf
04-14-2007, 06:35 AM
It's not just the books, it's all media. I remember back before I started my new of way of life, watching the Simpsons. They had an episode where they named Homer's weight, and it was around 260 or so, I forget exactly. And I was stunned because it was pretty close to what I weighed at the time. Now, mind you, I knew I was fat. I was having medical problems about it. But I didn't think that I was worse that Homer! (I'm assuming, of course, that being a guy Homer taller than me; they don't make any short jokes about him that I know of).

I have a feeling that most writers for the mass media today feel that anything over 300 lbs is bed-bound territory.