100 lb. Club - Secrets for success

View Full Version : Secrets for success

RitzyFritz
04-11-2007, 11:34 AM
If you could tell someone just starting their journey to their goal weight and better health (or maybe those who are struggling), what would you MOST recommend from your experience so far? What are some of the things you have found (both food and nonfood) that you have found to be beneficial to you in your journey. If this is a repeat of a previous thread, I apologize. I don't remember one quite like this.

I look forward to hearing from each of you!! :)

Glory87
04-11-2007, 11:46 AM
After yo-yo dieting for 20 years, my biggest advice would be to find something you like and that you can do for the rest of your life. Starting a diet (no matter how good the diet is) with the intention of stopping at some point in the future and eating "normally" again is a plan for disaster. My other advice would be to plan healthy meals/snacks - I don't think it's possible to eat healthy "by accident" in the US.

Lovestorun
04-11-2007, 11:50 AM
After yo-yo dieting for 20 years, my biggest advice would be to find something you like and that you can do for the rest of your life. Starting a diet (no matter how good the diet is) with the intention of stopping at some point in the future and eating "normally" again is a plan for disaster. My other advice would be to plan healthy meals/snacks - I don't think it's possible to eat healthy "by accident" in the US.

I agree 100%- I has got to be FOREVER! :carrot: :carrot:

nelie
04-11-2007, 11:58 AM
Well beyond making whatever you do sustainable, my suggestions would be:

1) Work towards improvement, not perfection
2) (related to above) You are a work in a progress and the more you improve, the better you will do. My dietary and exercise habits have evolved so much since I started and I imagine yours will too.
3) Exercise is critical, both cardio and weights
4) Portion control - use salad plates instead of dinner plates

That is all I can think of on the top of my head.

LakeGirl
04-11-2007, 11:58 AM
My most valuable piece of advice would be when it comes to exercise to simply act like there is no other alternative; you just have to do it. If you wait until you begin losing weight because you feel you will have more energy and WANT to exercise, it will probably not happen. I abolutely hate to workout, so I just don't give myself any other option but to do it.

boaterswife
04-11-2007, 12:12 PM
I treat exercise the same as I do other daily activities. Just like taking a shower, taking medication, etc., don't plan to get around to it, make it a requirement of your day.

SexyRevealed
04-11-2007, 12:31 PM
Don't beat yourself up over mistakes. As soon as you recognize the mistake, get right back on plan!

As far as exercise, find something you enjoy. Don't walk on the treadmill if it bores you. You have to love it or you won't do it.

booklover
04-11-2007, 01:47 PM
Here's my top five hints:

* Make the decision to be healthy and commit to it for life
* Plan, plan, plan!
* Every little bit counts. Never underestimate the power of gradual change.
* Give yourself permission to fail once in a while.
* Find ways to work around obstacles on your path

Never give up, never surrender. :)

rockinrobin
04-11-2007, 01:49 PM
Hmmm. Tough one. Because MY big "secret" occured in my brain. I always knew that "dieting" was a temporary fix and therefore I had to be WILLING to make a permenant change. I always knew that in order to lose and then maintain weightloss I would have to add exercise to my life. Forever. That's a long time. Until I was ready to face up to that, weightloss really could not occur for me. So it really and truly was just a matter of being fed up enough, miserable enough and WILLING to change my lifestyle. It was about WANTING to lose the weight so badly that I no longer cared about doing without the food.

HAving said that, I knew I had to set myself up for success. So I implemented somethings to help me along the way. I recognized my weaknesses and did my best to counteract them.

A few things that have helped me so far:

-Planning, planning and then planning some more. I NEED to know what's on the menu and to know that I have healthy, TASTY food coming my way. This also involves keeping a well stocked house. In the beginning it meant emptying the house of all junk. My 3 teenagers and 1 DH no longer let me do this as much. Oh well.
-In the beginning - no eating out. And now, just a rarity.
-Drinking lots of water. It keeps me hydrated, keeps my mouth busy, keeps me full. It satisfies me.
-Looking at this as what I am going to GAIN, not LOSE by giving up the high calorie/high quantity of foods
-Keeping a journal. Especially in the beginning, this was VITAL. Whenever I would want to breakdown and eat something - I would turn to my journal and read/write the reasons why I am doing this.
-It's really important to be honest with yourself. So I think for me, calorie counting is the only way to go. Just cutting back didn't work for me. Neither did just elminiating the junk. I NEED to set limits and tracking those pesky little calories keeps me honest with exactly what's going into my body. For me it is the ONLY way. Those little suckers really, really add up.
-When getting off track, it is mucho, mucho important to put it past you and get right back on the band wagon. Slip ups are bound to happen and luckily we don't have to be perfect. There IS room for error. The less errors though......
-I think someone's already said this, make exercise like brushing your teeth and doing the laundry - you don't HAVE to like it, you just HAVE to do it. Not doing it was NOT an option for me.
-I had to put my weightloss front and center, something very difficult for women and mothers. I had to really, really focus on it. ALthough it might have been selfish, in the long run - it benefits everyone and everything around you. There is not one person in the family who will not benefit from my being healthier and HAPPIER.
-Yes, it's calories in vs. calories out, but I knew I had to make those calories nutrient rich. For so many reasons. Fiber keeps you fuller longer as does protein. That's a GOOD thing. I like volume (recognizing my weaknesses), so for me vegetables makes perfect sense. So I eat lots and lots and lots of them.
-Yes, everything in moderation. BUT in the beginning, that wouldn't have worked for ME. I had to completely and totally do without. I didn't know from moderation. That's why I was 287 lbs. I had to totally and completely give up the sugar, flour, pasta, chocolate, bread, rice, cakes, cookies and stuff. Not even the 100 calorie packs. Not even brown rice. Just inviting those into my diet was an invitation to start the cravings going. Plus it just put me in the wrong frame of mind. Frame of mind is very, very important to me. And most importantly - I overeat them. I just don't have much control with them, it's a weakness of mine. So therefore I had to elminiate it. Even in the beginning when I refused to touch any of the stuff, it didn't matter to me. I did NOT feel deprived. I felt EXCITED that I was taking such good care of myself and an end to my unhealthy, inactive life was in the near future.
-Don't be afraid of the scale. It's just a tool. Don't be disappointed if it doesn't move in the right direction sometimes. IF you eat right and exercise you most DEFINITELY WILL lose the weight. Especially when starting out at such high weights. It's a given. It is the one advantage the morbidly obese have. So when I had a slow week, I really, really had to tell myself this.
-But you must be HONEST with yourself. Really, really honest. You can't expect the scale to magically move down, if you haven't eaten right and exericsed. It just doesn't work that way.

Well that's it for now. I'm sure there's more. But it's just not coming to me.

Runundefined
04-11-2007, 01:51 PM
I can sure answer this one!
don't look at food as "good" or "bad".. look at it as energy..
if you take in too much food "energy" in a day.. it is much easier (for me anyway) mentally to recover from that- than to get into that "I was bad" mindset.. and then give up the day (or the diet!)..

Cheryl14
04-11-2007, 02:13 PM
1) Love yourself enough to NOT eat yourself into oblivion every time stress or anger or sadness hits. Find other coping strategies like journalling or even cleaning the bathroom or taking off walking out the door.

2) Realize that losing weight means that you CAN eat whatever you want IF you plan it into your calorie plan and you don't go over your calories for the day. (Note: My Godiva Cheesecake "entree" was great and fit into my daily calorie count but left me STARVING by bedtime. A one-time experiment!)

3) Weight loss happens when you have your head in the right place and you really want to be smaller, fitter, wear nicer clothes and are willing to do what it takes (eat less, exercise more) to get there.

4) Measure foods, don't eyeball the amounts! One cup can easily "become" THREE CUPS when you are in the process of losing weight IF you don't measure!

5) Just 'cause your teenage son eats FOUR CHEESEBURGERS and fries and a chocolate milkshake and stays skinny doesn't mean that YOU can do the same...and never gain weight!

6) Fitday works! It is also FREE!! www.Fitday.com

7) Weigh as often as will keep you honest. I avoided the scale for probably twenty years and have the added pounds to show for it!:(

8) Read as much as you can and find a plan that works for YOU. Have confidence in yourself that you can create a plan that will work. Not everyone needs to hire a trainer or spend a lot of $$$$ on packaged food plans to lose the weight.

9) If you've tried something for awhile and gotten no results, don't be afraid to try something different.

10) Measure yourself every couple weeks. Even if the scale doesn't show a loss, you MAY find that you have lost INCHES!

11) Read all the successes here on this site!

12) Believe that you are a worthy person and that you deserve to have a happy, THINNER, FITTER life!

RitzyFritz
04-11-2007, 02:45 PM
WOW!! These are FABULOUS! I have enjoyed reading every one so far!! Hope to hear even more!

Shellyknits
04-11-2007, 03:04 PM
Love all the tips so far. My addition would be to always, always have a bottle of water and an on plan snack with you. This has saved my behind from the drive through more than I care to share!

nelie
04-11-2007, 03:08 PM
Love all the tips so far. My addition would be to always, always have a bottle of water and an on plan snack with you. This has saved my behind from the drive through more than I care to share!

I agree with taking snacks with you. I keep snacks at work. Also, when DH and I plan to be somewhere for multiple hours, we take a few snacks with us so that we can eat our snack instead of trying to eat whatever is available.

Planning is very important overall. Planning meals, planning snacks, planning exercise.

cantforgetthis
04-11-2007, 04:12 PM
Ideas and thoughts are the most powerful thing to me. It all starts with the mind...

I can't be "off the wagon". I'm driving it!

--Progress, not perfection!

“I have not failed, I have just found 10,000 ways that don’t work.” -Thomas Edison

--Persistence!

boaterswife
04-11-2007, 04:27 PM
-I had to put my weightloss front and center, something very difficult for women and mothers. I had to really, really focus on it. ALthough it might have been selfish, in the long run - it benefits everyone and everything around you. There is not one person in the family who will not benefit from my being healthier and HAPPIER.

I just wanted to add to this one real quick.....this was a biggie for me, but believe me when I tell you it does get easier. For the first time in my life, not just my married life, my "mom" life, but in my WHOLE life, I put me first. I even said it out loud, repeatedly, to my DH, to my kids, to who ever needed to hear "no" to something. I told them all "whatever" you need (fill in the blank yourself) is my number one priority....after me. Yep, I told them, "you're first, after me" too many times to count! And you know what? none of them suffered for it. They may have had to wait an extra hour before they got to go to the mall, or whatever, while I exercised or did whatever I needed to do for me, but I needed to come first for a change. Now when they come find me while I'm exercising, they start off their requests with "after you're finished, can we.....?". It works, and it sinks in, and it will do you so much good. Put yourself and your needs first.

GirlyGirlSebas
04-11-2007, 04:33 PM
Wow! Awesome thread. Thanks.

tigrre
04-11-2007, 04:51 PM
I haven't been doing this for long but I've learned that I am capable of so much more than I ever imagined.

Don't ever underestimate yourself

That would be my major piece of advice.

rockinrobin
04-11-2007, 05:40 PM
Kelly, it's too funny how you mentioned exercise. Because quite often that's where the "problems" first occured. I need to do it and of course they need - SOMETHING. I felt sooo guilty at first, but like I said - it is benefiting everyone. And they are so very, very proud of me. Everyone has adjusted and they all know to let Mom get her exercise in. They don't resent it not one little bit, in fact they get a big kick out of it. And Kelly, they same the same exact thing, "Ma, when you're done can we ___________" Amazing.

Another area was the food. I had to stop making some family favorites. Especially in the beginning and of course clearing the house of junk, funny enough we didn't have too much junk in the house. Cause whatever there was I would get a hold of it before they could. But the truth of the matter is if it's garbage food, well then WHO needs it? NO ONE. I still make yummy, yummy food, so although they may not be old standbys - they are new and IMPROVED.

jennylou
04-11-2007, 05:54 PM
Find things that you like to eat. For some, this will mean trying new things and learning to like them. For other times, this may just be adapting recipes that you already have.

BooBear2071
04-12-2007, 02:24 PM
1. Take every rule you have ever heard about weight loss, put it aside, and really question each and every thing and if it does work for you.

2. Evaluate what you have done in the past, and do the opposite (within reason). See what that does for you and keep it if it works. Just doing different things can get you out of a rut.

3. Try to get your mind off dieting. I look at my plan as an exercise in discipline and patience. I don't care what the scale says. I am going to eat X per day, and I am going to eat Y per day for the pure joy to know I can discipline myself. That, in and of itself, is a goal worth working on. The goal is not to lose 2lbs by the end of the week. That is not in your control. But it is within your control to eat x per day and exercise y per day.

4. You don't need to work out all at once or at a gym. Sometimes if I don't have a lot of time I will jump on my recumbant bike in my work clothing. Damn it, the work out is more important that the possible damage to my slacks.

5. Don't under estimate the power of motivation in dieting. It must be preserved and valued as much as anything. If you are doing something that is making a small dent in your weight loss... but sapping your motivation -- END IT. Motivation is more important than losing an extra .5 lbs a week.

6. Make peace with the scale. It was always the #1 thing that prevented me from losing. It would read something wrong and I would be upset. I found a way to ignore it but also know if I was losing weight. For me that was believing that sodium and hormones could make the scale wrong about 80% of the month. I think that is true, but really it doesn't matter. I believe it and that gives me the strengh to stay true when I see a jump. Find away around the scale that works for you.

RitzyFritz
04-12-2007, 03:22 PM
These are ALL really great! This has been really good for me to read (and hopefully others too)! :thanks:

Penney
04-12-2007, 08:09 PM
Thanks - these have been fantastic!!!

LisaMarie71
04-15-2007, 09:35 PM
What a fantastic thread! I just have one thing to add...

Don't let anyone ever make you feel like what you're doing is "wrong" as long as you're getting the results you want. If the scale is moving down and the measuring tape is showing results, then keep doing what you're doing regardless of the advice people give you, no matter how well-intentioned it is. This goes for eating AND exercise.

RitzyFritz
04-16-2007, 12:41 AM
What a fantastic thread! I just have one thing to add...

Don't let anyone ever make you feel like what you're doing is "wrong" as long as you're getting the results you want. If the scale is moving down and the measuring tape is showing results, then keep doing what you're doing regardless of the advice people give you, no matter how well-intentioned it is. This goes for eating AND exercise.

Thanks, Lisa! This is a good one. This has been a struggle for me in the past. Not anymore! ;)

Heather
04-16-2007, 12:52 AM
I think the big issue is not on LOSING the weight but MAINTAINING the loss. So I think we have to be careful about defining success. I see a lot of people come on here with plans they are very excited about. They lose some weight -- it's "working"!! They get more excited. And then, things stop working. It's hard to tell what happens, because all of us struggle from time to time, but it seems that for many people, they have a plan that works for a while, but not in the long run.

So, think about what success means, your long term goals, and how to STAY there once you get there. What looks like the fastest path may just be a fast path to nowhere.

bigjewel
04-16-2007, 09:28 AM
This is the best thread ever! I have been trying to lose weight for a short time so this is really helpful to me. I love this group!!!

crazynette826
04-17-2007, 09:49 AM
This is a good thread!

The biggest thing that has helped me this time is support. I've tried to lose weight on my own. Keeping it secret from those around me. However this time, I joined WW with my SIL. So my whole family knows. At first I was a little worried about that, but I think it's the reason that I have done better this time. It's nice to have those around you know that your trying to eating healthier and lose weight. WW meetings have been great support for me, and of course 3FC is an amazing source of support. It's nice to have others to turn to and ask questions, give you encouragement when things aren't going as well as you think they should, and to help you celebrate your successess. :yay: :grouphug: :yay:

lewelaine
04-17-2007, 10:50 AM
as boring as this sounds i eat the same thing every single day for breakfast and lunch.

In the morning Im in a rush anyway and it would be anything I'm shoving in my mouth so I've just made a habit out of having the same healthy thing everyday.

Then everyday for lunch I have soup and salad and fruit. I change up the soup (home-made) every once in a while and sometimes I put ham on my salad and sometimes bits of boiled chicken. The fruit is whatever was on sale that week. But the basic template stays the same. I've been having the same homemade oil vinagrette dressing everyday for 2 years solid.

Honestly my dinner doesn't vary too much either and I rotate the same old same old. It seems boring but honestly by the time any meal rolls around I'm just ready to insert food into mouth-hole to fill hunger.

At some point I stopped eating pasta and then it turned into bread and now it's all wheat products in general. I also credit this for helping me shed the pounds.

LWM
04-17-2007, 08:49 PM
This is the best thread ever! I have been trying to lose weight for a short time so this is really helpful to me. I love this group!!!

I completely agree. Who knew there was such a place for so many smart and compassionate people? Thanks for the info...

PinkyPie
04-18-2007, 10:57 AM
Just off the top of my head:

PLAN. Take the time out for YOURSELF and PLAN ahead.

STOP ALL NEGATIVE SELF-TALK. You are not Ugly. You are not a pig. You are not disgusting. You are not a failure. You are not stupid. We are our own worst enemy when it comes to how we talk to ourselves!

Don't "hope" or "try" or "going to" or "if only" yourself. Just do. Do it. Don't make excuses. You are only harming yourself when you make excuses.

MOVE, EVERY DAY. Again, take the time out for yourself and do some sort of movement, every single day, for 20 minutes. You don't go out of the house without brushing your teeth or changing from your pajamas to regular clothes do you? Treat exercise/movement as just one of those daily things that you do.

When you think that you "can't" - reach out and ASK for support. There is no reason whatsoever that you have to do this alone. Someone out there cares and wants to support you!

Food items are not morally "good" or "bad". Switch your thinking to foods which are healthy and not-so-healthy. Remember that you are the one in control and you CHOOSE. IF you choose something that is not so healthy, make sure you enjoy and savour every single bite. Take the time to enjoy it. You'll find you will stuff yourself silly less. YOU are not BAD if you choose something that is not-so-healthy. It's your choice and your right to do so.

BooBear2071
04-18-2007, 11:14 AM
as boring as this sounds i eat the same thing every single day for breakfast and lunch.

I do too. It might not be every day but it is close to -it is the basic template. I have 1/2 blueberry muffin for breakfast; and a tuna wrap for lunch. I honestly don't get sick of it and it really helps me know I am not over doing it or eating salty food.

If I have a day I am out of my foods or for some reason have to eat out, I have a template for that as well. I have an egg mcmuffin and I either take off one of the english muffin tops or the slice of ham.

BackPorchPoet
04-18-2007, 03:34 PM
I want everyone to know how valuable this is to me. Some of it I am printing out to put on my refrigerator to remind me!

RitzyFritz
04-19-2007, 01:03 AM
I agree, BackPorchPoet! This has truly been inspirational and motivational! Such a wonderful place to come for help. :hug: I appreciate all of you!

SuchAPrettyFace
04-19-2007, 01:23 PM
Don't drink your calories (except milk).