100 lb. Club - Salad dressing!

View Full Version : Salad dressing!

RitzyFritz
04-10-2007, 09:24 PM
Okay...I love salad and I am very aware of the danger of HFCS and that it is basically in every salad dressing on the market shelf. I do not like the taste of vinegar or oil on my salad (maybe this is mostly phsychological, I don't know). I also cannot tolerate a "dry" salad. So....in light of the above, just what CAN I put on my salad? I do use low-fat/fat-free dressings when eating out and I always dip my fork in the dressing instead of putting it all on my salad. I have found this reduces my intake a LOT!

I'm trying to follow a wholefoods plan of eating, by the way.

Anyone have suggestions to remedy the above? Thanks again! You people are fabulous supporters, and I really appreciate it!!

nelie
04-10-2007, 09:31 PM
I use various kinds of salsa. Delicious and low calorie.

RitzyFritz
04-10-2007, 09:38 PM
Oh, now that's a good idea. I love salsa. Thanks!!

Penney
04-10-2007, 09:45 PM
I use Briannas Homestyle dressings - they are really really yummy - - and all natural ingredients and lots of different flavors. No HFCS on my veggies.

RitzyFritz
04-10-2007, 09:47 PM
I use Briannas Homestyle dressings - they are really really yummy - - and all natural ingredients and lots of different flavors. No HFCS on my veggies.

Really!? Where do you buy these? I have never seen this brand. Thanks for sharing!!

Goddess Jessica
04-10-2007, 09:48 PM
I make my own - they're not low-fat but they're good fat:

Poppy Seed Dressing (makes 1 cup)
1/4 cup sugar (you can use splenda or honey if you prefer)
A couple of slices of onion
1 teaspoon dry mustard
½ cup of extra virgin olive oil
½ teaspoon salt
1-1/2 teaspoons poppy seeds
½ cup cider vinegar

Buzz through the blender. Serve of lettuce, sliced strawberries and wafer-thin onion slices.

Penney
04-10-2007, 09:52 PM
I have purchased them at my grocery store - Bloom, they are actually have a really good healthy selection.

I looked on my bottle - they web site is: briannasSaladDressing.com

Jessica- your dressing sounds good.... I have never tried Poppy Seed Dressing before... I think I am going to have give it a shot.

RitzyFritz
04-10-2007, 09:54 PM
I have purchased them at my grocery store - Bloom, they are actually have a really good healthy selection.

I looked on my bottle - they web site is: briannasSaladDressing.com

Jessica- your dressing sounds good.... I have never tried Poppy Seed Dressing before... I think I am going to have give it a shot.

THANKS! I will have to look for them in our stores (no Bloom here). If not, at least you gave the web site! Thanks so much!

And, Jessica, I too will have to try your dressing. Thanks for sharing!!

RitzyFritz
04-10-2007, 09:55 PM
I stand corrected! When I went to the web site I immediately recognized the bottles. However, I have looked at them before and thought I did see HFCS in them. Do you buy a particular flavor that maybe doesn't have HFCS or am I just losing it and think that I saw this? :lol:

walking2lose
04-10-2007, 10:02 PM
Ritzy - The Newman's Own Light line are in my opinion the best (healthy and tasty) that you can buy. I don't always have time to make homemade, but I do occassionally. The rest of the time I use Newman's Own which have NO HFCS. Check out a bottle - the ingredients are good and wholesome. My favorite one happens to be the lowest in calories (45 for 2 tablespoons). It's the light balsamic vinigreitte (sp). When I have a huge salad for me meal, like I did for dinner tonight, I use 2 servings (4 T = 1/4 c.). It makes even a HUGE salad plenty wet. I drizzle a little balsamic vinegar over too. I do not like a dry salad. The other flavors are really good too - a bit higher in calorie.

You can buy them most anywhere and Newman's products donate a portion of sales to charities. You can't go wrong!

RitzyFritz
04-10-2007, 10:13 PM
Ritzy - The Newman's Own Light line are in my opinion the best (healthy and tasty) that you can buy. I don't always have time to make homemade, but I do occassionally. The rest of the time I use Newman's Own which have NO HFCS. Check out a bottle - the ingredients are good and wholesome. My favorite one happens to be the lowest in calories (45 for 2 tablespoons). It's the light balsamic vinigreitte (sp). When I have a huge salad for me meal, like I did for dinner tonight, I use 2 servings (4 T = 1/4 c.). It makes even a HUGE salad plenty wet. I drizzle a little balsamic vinegar over too. I do not like a dry salad. The other flavors are really good too - a bit higher in calorie.

You can buy them most anywhere and Newman's products donate a portion of sales to charities. You can't go wrong!

Okay...I'm convinced - I'm officially "losing it." I have looked at Newman's too and thought there was HFCS. I am making a special trip to the store just to read salad dressing labels!! :lol: Thanks so much for sharing this!! I thought my salads were hopeless. I am finding out they aren't!!

gumboot
04-10-2007, 10:16 PM
Hi there,
I thought I would throw my two cents in :)

Hellmann's makes Salad Spritzers
You spray on your salad for good coverage but waaaaaay less calories. In fact, they are only 15 calories per 10 sprays (plenty for a dinner salad). If you follow WW that is 0 points.
They come in different flavors:
~Raspberry Breeze
~Asian Mist
~Balsamic Breeze
~Red Wine Mist
~Tangy Italian
I believe there are a few more, I just can't think of the names of them.
All I can say is YUM! And sooo low in calories it's not even funny :P

Just thought I'd share. I love them! Don't know what I would do without them!

Cheers,
Lisa

Penney
04-10-2007, 10:21 PM
I am looking at my bottle it says sugar - but it is not HFCS. There are only natural ingredients in these dressings....

I have used the salad spritzers as well.... those are good! If I remember correctly I liked the Raspberry Breeze.

nelie
04-10-2007, 10:25 PM
In Oklahoma, Hellman's probably doesn't exist but the brand would be Best Foods I believe.

I do buy Newman's Own light for DH because they have the best ingredients and calories for dressings that I saw.

jtammy
04-10-2007, 10:40 PM
I use a SBD Kraft Ranch dressing occasionally that has 70 calories 2 T. with no HFCS (not whole foods, but I still use it occasionally for something different). Also, I make my own "honey" mustard dressing with mustard, splenda, light mayo, and paprika. I just tried a Newman's Own Lighten Up Sesame Ginger dressing over the weekend that was very good with no HFCS.

Christine in CA
04-10-2007, 10:56 PM
Not sure if you have a Trader Joe's around, but Trader Joe's Organic Balsamic Vinaigrette is good. It's mild, not too "vinegar-y". No HFCS, it's only 60 calories for 2 tablespoons, and a little goes a long way. (Note: This one is found in the non-refrigerated section. The balsamic vinaigrette found in the refrigerated section is non-organic and has double the calories).

Edit: Oops - just noticed you don't like vinegar (but I swear this one's mild!! :dizzy: )

rockinrobin
04-11-2007, 12:46 AM
I squeeze on some fresh lemon juice. Or sometimes I use a drop of balsamic vinegar. Both virtually zero calories. I also like to put things in my salad that are very tasty so that I don't need any dressing at all. Like plain tuna. Or taco spiced grilled chicken breast.

RoyalAthena
04-11-2007, 01:58 AM
What is HCFS?? :?:

Thanks.:^:

Christine in CA
04-11-2007, 02:54 AM
What is HCFS?? :?:

Thanks.:^:
<phew> Now I don't feel so bad for having to Google it: high fructose corn syrup! :D

RitzyFritz
04-11-2007, 09:26 AM
I am looking at my bottle it says sugar - but it is not HFCS. There are only natural ingredients in these dressings....

I have used the salad spritzers as well.... those are good! If I remember correctly I liked the Raspberry Breeze.

You are right - I think that IS the reason I didn't get them was the sugar (I am learning the wholefoods way of eating) and not HFCS. Thanks for the clarification! I believe this is the reason I threw my brand new bottle of the Raspberry spritzer away too. :( I was so excited to find them being so low cal, etc., and then discovered the sugar.

Thanks again!!

RitzyFritz
04-11-2007, 09:28 AM
Not sure if you have a Trader Joe's around, but Trader Joe's Organic Balsamic Vinaigrette is good. It's mild, not too "vinegar-y". No HFCS, it's only 60 calories for 2 tablespoons, and a little goes a long way. (Note: This one is found in the non-refrigerated section. The balsamic vinaigrette found in the refrigerated section is non-organic and has double the calories).

Edit: Oops - just noticed you don't like vinegar (but I swear this one's mild!! :dizzy: )

I can tolerate vinegar IF it is mild. Of course, it is probably like everything else, you have to give it time to become something you can tolerate better. I sure WISH we had a Trader Joe's! There isn't one in our WHOLE state! :(

RitzyFritz
04-11-2007, 09:29 AM
<phew> Now I don't feel so bad for having to Google it: high fructose corn syrup! :D

Sorry, ladies! I should have remembered when I wondered the same thing and didn't know either! I had to ask when I first saw this too! ;)

I squeeze on some fresh lemon juice. Or sometimes I use a drop of balsamic vinegar. Both virtually zero calories. I also like to put things in my salad that are very tasty so that I don't need any dressing at all. Like plain tuna. Or taco spiced grilled chicken breast.

I have wondered about lemon juice but haven't tried it because of its tartness. I will have to do this. I like tuna and chicken on my salads as well, but they seem to make me want MORE dressing! LOL!! Funny how we all deal with things differently, huh? :lol: Thanks again!!

Glory87
04-11-2007, 11:14 AM
As a whole foods follower myself, I'm not as worried about sugar (or honey) as I am by fake stuff (aspartame, HFCS). My current favorite is:

http://www.anniesnaturals.com/Pages/nutrition/dietginger.htm

It doesn't taste vinegary to me :)

RitzyFritz
04-11-2007, 11:17 AM
As a whole foods follower myself, I'm not as worried about sugar (or honey) as I am by fake stuff (aspartame, HFCS). My current favorite is:

http://www.anniesnaturals.com/Pages/nutrition/dietginger.htm

It doesn't taste vinegary to me :)

Oh, cool! I just saw this brand show up in our stores recently. Thanks so much!!

djs06
04-11-2007, 12:56 PM
I use those Wishbone spritzers... they're nothing like the fatty dressings I love (mmm blue cheese) but I find that they do, and they're about 20 calories.

RitzyFritz
04-11-2007, 01:40 PM
I use those Wishbone spritzers... they're nothing like the fatty dressings I love (mmm blue cheese) but I find that they do, and they're about 20 calories.

I threw my bottle away when I saw sugar listed as an ingredient. I will have to see to what extent it is in there and maybe give it a try.