Weight Loss Support - What Shape Are You?

View Full Version : What Shape Are You?

Is that really me
04-10-2007, 10:26 AM
How do you know what shape you are? The only one I ever "got" was pear shaped. I have several friends and my 16 yr. old is this shape. They have to get pants to fit the biggest part of their body, in pear shaped cases the hips/butt/thighs. What are other shapes and how do you determine what shape you are? What's an apple? Thin legs, including the thighs, w/the bulk of the weight carried on the hips/stomach/bust/and arms? What shape are you when you seem to carry your weight rather proportionally all over your body?

For pants to fit me I have to have them fit int he waist, which means they are always bigger/looser on my thighs. <sigh>, many days I feel like a papaya!

Jo

Cheryl14
04-10-2007, 10:35 AM
Hi Jo!

I've often tried to figure out WHAT shape I am! They talk about apples and pears and hourglass and triangles...CONFUSING!

I am big-boned, have wide shoulders and big feet (size 11!) I just discovered that I am 1.5 inches SHORTER than I used to be, so I am 5 feet 4 1/2 inches. I have a not-so-small waist, and my upper arms and my thighs have always been heavier than most people's. Through walking and exercising my rear and thighs have decreased A LOT! I've lost weight in my waist (13 inches lost), but still am 35" there. I'm currently 43-35-43. Does that make me a large HOURGLASS? I really don't know!

Cheryl

srmb60
04-10-2007, 10:42 AM
Many years ago I took some classes in Image Consulting. Our shapes were A, V, H and 8. There are variations of those ... my favourite was the straight 8 ;)

Starting points were the shoulders and hips. You need to look at yourself straight on in a full-length mirror and see what's wider ... does you waist dip? ... do your boobs stick out further than your belly? ... does your belly stick out further than your boobs? ... Does your butt stick out at all?

BTW ... I was quite a bit more A shaped when I was 30 lbs heavier. I've discovered I have not much hip, bone-wise.

NcMommy
04-10-2007, 01:01 PM
I an "out of" shape LOL LOL LOL

Seriously though.. I have no clue what my scientific shape name would be but I would say its more of the hourglass .. however with extra fluff in my hips and saddle bags.

Linda

lilybelle
04-10-2007, 01:10 PM
I think I am V shaped. My hips are much narrower than my shoulders. My waist is 30 inches now. My beginning measurements were 49-47-45. My actual shape didn't change with the wt. loss, just a smaller V now.

Glory87
04-10-2007, 01:14 PM
I am pear shaped. I carry my extra weight in the tummy, hips and thighs (saddlebags, yay!).

AquaWarlock
04-10-2007, 01:14 PM
I believe the other major shape is "apple" (more fat in the waist & arms, etc.) - which is actually worse than a pear since waistline/abdominal fat are the ones that interferes with normal insulin activity, general metabolism, and cholesterol levels.

The easiest way to tell if you're an apple or pear is the waist-to-hip ratio - a simple calculator & chart (and what the shapes mean for your health) is available here:
http://www.bmi-calculator.net/waist-to-hip-ratio-calculator/waist-to-hip-ratio-chart.php

nelie
04-10-2007, 01:19 PM
I think I'm a slight hourglass. My shoulders and hips are the same width and my waist is about 12 inches smaller.

HarPoe
04-10-2007, 01:40 PM
Hourglass. I have broad shoulders, wide hips, and a smaller waist.

Beach Patrol
04-10-2007, 01:47 PM
I'm ROUND.

Round is a shape! :lol:

Actually, I am an hourglass. I have a LOT of curves. Only when I'm chubby, I have a lot MORE curves, and none of them curve in the direction I want them to. I'm fairly proportioned correctly except I have a booty - it's bigger than my waist, making it hard to find pants that fit properly.

But as I age & the chubbiness surrounds me & droops even more, I've noticed more chub on my UPPER body. Specially now, with perimenopause swarming me. Bra fat, back fat, upper arm dangle. Ick Ick ICK!

But I'm working on it! Wanna get my hour glass shape back, instead of being an hour & a half glass shape. :D

Is that really me
04-10-2007, 02:01 PM
I believe the other major shape is "apple" (more fat in the waist & arms, etc.) - which is actually worse than a pear since waistline/abdominal fat are the ones that interferes with normal insulin activity, general metabolism, and cholesterol levels.

The easiest way to tell if you're an apple or pear is the waist-to-hip ratio - a simple calculator & chart (and what the shapes mean for your health) is available here:
http://www.bmi-calculator.net/waist-to-hip-ratio-calculator/waist-to-hip-ratio-chart.php

Hey, thanks for this link. I think I'm more of an apple shape because I tend to carry the excess around my middle vs. my hips/thighs and butt -- although they're in no great shape either! :D

I'm ROUND.

Round is a shape! :lol:

Actually, I am an hourglass. I have a LOT of curves. Only when I'm chubby, I have a lot MORE curves, and none of them curve in the direction I want them to. I'm fairly proportioned correctly except I have a booty - it's bigger than my waist, making it hard to find pants that fit properly.

But as I age & the chubbiness surrounds me & droops even more, I've noticed more chub on my UPPER body. Specially now, with perimenopause swarming me. Bra fat, back fat, upper arm dangle. Ick Ick ICK!

But I'm working on it! Wanna get my hour glass shape back, instead of being an hour & a half glass shape. :D

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: Absolutely!!!! Bra fat? Back fat? Good Lord, I've gota a whole bakery going on back there!!!

I like the reference to A, V, H, or 8 shapes. I think I'm probably more 8 shaped, just w/out the smallness of waist. My shoulders and hips seems to be about the same width and my waist is smaller than both of those. In 30 lbs. I'll take another look. :)

Jo

athenac
04-10-2007, 02:10 PM
I have a hourglass figure. I'm pretty well proportioned throughout and have been told I don't look the weight I am. It actually shocks people when and if I tell them.

aphil
04-10-2007, 02:12 PM
In the descriptions of shapes-the main ones are apple, pear, hourglass, and cylindar.

An hourglass has a fuller bustline, and fuller hips...but has a defined waistline. Usually an hourglass will gain extra weight evenly-all over the body.

A pear shape is normally very hippy, with larger thighs, calves, etc. and a defined waist. The only thing is-their shoulders, arms, and breasts seem to be "small" in comparison to their hips and legs. It is very common for a plus sized pear woman to still wear a smaller to average cup size in her bra, and be able to wear a smaller sized top than jeans.

An apple woman carries all of her weight from the belly up. These women usually have great muscular legs, small butts-but carry their weight in their entire upper body-big bellies, lovehandles, "back fat", larger upper arms, chubbier faces, and lots of times larger breasts with a larger band size.

A cylindar woman is what a lot of models actually are-normally tall and leaner shaped-no matter what their size, they usually don't hold a lot of weight in their legs or their arms-they stay pretty long and lean. Their extra weight is usually carried all through the torso-so a cylindar with 15 or 20 extra pounds might carry it in her chest, hips, and belly areas-but her arms and legs still look long and lean compared to her torso. They are usually pretty resistant to cellulite as well.

ellabella
04-10-2007, 02:14 PM
I always thought my mother looked like a flamingo...those long, skinny legs, and I guess what would be referred to as an "apple-shaped" body. I never thought I was like that....and wasn't, I don't think, but more recently I've begun to see myself morphing in that direction (which is why I'm eating healthier-eating lo-cal, high-fiber, drinking lots of water, and exercising.) I envy women who have long, elegant necks and are smaller through the chest. (What shape are they???) Seems like they can always get away with a little extra weight. My neck is on the short side; looks okay when my weight is where it should be, but the minute I gain a little extra, my front...chest and bubelas...start to make me look like a big old hen.

I don't think it much matters what shape we are - if our weight is at appropriate levels, you know? We are ALL gorgeous babes, right?

Ella :wave:

Natalia
04-10-2007, 02:15 PM
The 2 major shapes are apple and pear. The majority of women are pear, with bigger hips and thighs than abdomen..apples have relatively small hips and thighs when compared to their belly. Apple shaped clothes are way harder to find in plus sizes than pear shaped, I have found...
And apples , as someone said, are more at risk for disease, IR, diabetes, apparently the big belly indicates an insulin issue..

UNfortunatly I am an apple, if youa re overweight but cannot tell which you are, you're probably a pear..becasue apples sometimes get people thinking they are pregnant when they are not, sometimes have to shop in maternity wear :( etc. Here's another way to tell, do you take a bigger size pant if it's to your belly button or a hip hugger? In high school, I took a 31 jeans, and I tried on a pair of hip huggers and I took a 28!!!!!!!!!! lol quite a difference..
and the formal way to tell is by the ratio's..if it's greater than a certain number, you're a pear etc..

BlueToBlue
04-10-2007, 02:18 PM
I'm definitely a pear. Way wider on the bottom than the top. But it's a lot better than it was. When I was at my heaviest, my bottom was 2, maybe even 3, sizes bigger than my top. When you're buying a suit like that, you just pray that the salesgirl ringing you up doesn't notice the size difference! In addition to being embarrassed about how big my hips were, I always felt like I was doing something wrong. :nono:

Beach Patrol
04-10-2007, 02:20 PM
That's very interesting aphil. And quite understandable according to blood types & heritage as well.

I've been studying the body & how a person's blood type & heritage effect their body shape & weight. Blood type 0's & B's are more prone to cellulite than A's or AB's. 0's can lose weight the fastest, gain it the quickest, and gain muscle weight the fastest & lose it the quickest.

The more I read, the more I learn. That's so cool. :D

aphil
04-10-2007, 02:22 PM
I think we were posting at the same time-but there is also the hourglass and the cylindar. The apples and pears are the "disproportionate" sizes-basically they are larger in one half than in the other...while the hourglasses and cylindars are more proportionate on top and bottom.

Honestly...I think that soooo many jeans nowadays are actually catering to the apple shape. Most low rise jeans ar cut thin/straight through the hips and thighs, and they don't dip in much at all in the upper hip or lower waist. As an hourglass, I have to wear a belt at all times with jeans-or the "no waist" in them makes them fall down to my hips and I end up with plumber crack. :lol: If I buy them to fit my waist, then I can't get my curvier hips into them.

A lot of it is finding the right style to fit your body-relaxed fit (fuller through the hips and thighs), Old Navy Curvy cut jeans, and jeans that are made "At The Waist" or "Just Below The Waist" at Old Navy are cut more for hourglasses and pears...and the low rise boot cut style jeans are cut more for apples.

aphil
04-10-2007, 02:24 PM
That's very interesting aphil. And quite understandable according to blood types & heritage as well.

I've been studying the body & how a person's blood type & heritage effect their body shape & weight. Blood type 0's & B's are more prone to cellulite than A's or AB's. 0's can lose weight the fastest, gain it the quickest, and gain muscle weight the fastest & lose it the quickest.

Well, I am an O...and I am definitely prone to cellulite. :rofl: I also do tend to lose and gain weight quickly...

Interesting!! :)

nelie
04-10-2007, 02:39 PM
Funny thing, is I'm a B and I have some cellulite but not as much as I'd think someone of my weight would have. Even at my highest weight.

trekkiegirl
04-10-2007, 03:39 PM

This is me, too. I had curves at 140 lbs and had bigger curves at 200. I'm never not gonna have a butt. I had a butt when I was 13. I also have that problem with pants...needing to find ones that fit my hips and tush but they usually end up being loose at my waist.

Blood type 0's & B's are more prone to cellulite than A's or AB's. 0's can lose weight the fastest, gain it the quickest, and gain muscle weight the fastest & lose it the quickest.
Interesting. I'm an O...yes, I have cellulite. In the last 3 months, I lost 10, 7 and 7 pounds, with basically just lower portions and moderate exercise. I gained back 2 early last week without even trying (seriously don't know where that came from unless I retained water) and gained back another 2 from Easter stuff.
What is it about blood types that determines this? Also curious about the heritage thing. My background is Italian. Granted, this is a generalization but I would venture to say Italians are generally well-built, "healthy" looking people...healthy in the sense of not looking like they miss many meals...but food is a huge part of the culture and a source of pride and celebration to a lot of them. When talking about heritage, would it be more about gene make-up or about the way the culture lives?

sweet_talker
04-10-2007, 03:54 PM
I'm definintely hourglass until I reach a certain weight, then I start gaining more on my thighs and lower tummy... Thankfully I haven't been there in a while.

ennay
04-10-2007, 04:24 PM
I am definitely a V, or "upside down pear".. I cant find jeans at all right now.

maalisse
04-10-2007, 04:30 PM
I look like a pear because I've always had large thighs/legs and broad hips/bubble butt (even at a super lean 115 lb, I was wearing size 10 pants)...but my B/W/H measurements are hourglass. So, honestly, I don't know.

I tend to put on weight evenly all over my body...something of a blessing and a curse. ;)

srmb60
04-10-2007, 04:48 PM
Let me see what else I can remember. Didn't anyone else take Artistry Image Consulting?

It's about your bones and your sillhoutte, not necessarily your measurements.

There's a fat gain pattern associated with each shape .... A/pear is hips and thighs, V is upper back and even arms (I think), H/cylinder is torso and 8/hourglass is all over.

A/pear and H/cylinder are the most common.

There's some details about pelvises that I don't recall .... A/pear's are saucershaped and H/cylinders are taller and straighter. I guess the rest fall somewhere in the middle.

Same deal with ribcages. V's and A/pears taper in to the waist, H's are straighter ..... something like that.

Here's a fun one. Measure how tall you are. Now stand up straight and lift on leg out to the side. Measure from that hinge to the floor. If it's half theoretically you're balanced. From there you can decide if you have a long torso or long legs.

The female body is awesomely and wonderfully made in fabulous variations, yes?

Beach Patrol
04-10-2007, 05:11 PM
This is me, too. I had curves at 140 lbs and had bigger curves at 200. I'm never not gonna have a butt. I had a butt when I was 13. I also have that problem with pants...needing to find ones that fit my hips and tush but they usually end up being loose at my waist.

Interesting. I'm an O...yes, I have cellulite. In the last 3 months, I lost 10, 7 and 7 pounds, with basically just lower portions and moderate exercise. I gained back 2 early last week without even trying (seriously don't know where that came from unless I retained water) and gained back another 2 from Easter stuff.
What is it about blood types that determines this? Also curious about the heritage thing. My background is Italian. Granted, this is a generalization but I would venture to say Italians are generally well-built, "healthy" looking people...healthy in the sense of not looking like they miss many meals...but food is a huge part of the culture and a source of pride and celebration to a lot of them. When talking about heritage, would it be more about gene make-up or about the way the culture lives?

Someone on this forum sometime last year gave me a "heads-up" about T-Tapp. It's a particular kind of exercise program created by Teresa Tapp that was originated for rehabilitation exercises. She is an exercise physiologist and has studied for YEARS concerning blood types, body types & heritage. I bought her book "Fit & Fabulous in 15 Minutes" & have been listening to a double-CD called "Personal Profile". In it she explains how the differences of blood & body types mixed with your heritage can determine what kind of problems you'll face (cellulite? back fat? light on top/heavy on bottom? etc.) and how to deal with them.

You said you're "Italian". Are you COMPLETELY Italian? I ask because the Italians (& Germans) have the best bodies to deal with in the modeling world. They look youngest the longest, whereas English & Irish types start looking older much quicker. It's due to the thickness of the skin. English & Irish have thin skin, and skin gets thinner as we age, so it makes sense that those with thicker skin will age more slowly.

You can buy the Personal Profile CD on her website www.t-tapp.com

I suggest buying her book because in the back of it is a "coupon" that you can send in & get 30% off any order from the website.

It really IS very interesting. Reading on the website & so forth has motivated me to do more studying about blood types & the like. It's amazing what I've learned about my own body in the past few months. Simply amazing! :)

trekkiegirl
04-10-2007, 06:11 PM
In it she explains how the differences of blood & body types mixed with your heritage can determine what kind of problems you'll face (cellulite? back fat? light on top/heavy on bottom? etc.) and how to deal with them.
It really does sound fascinating. :) That's the Vulcan side speaking. ;) :p

You said you're "Italian". Are you COMPLETELY Italian?
Yes. No "mixed breeding", lol. My parents and sister were fresh off the boat in the late 1950s. I'm actually the only one in my family born in the U.S., not to mention the last of the line. My sister didn't procreate and I have no plans to either. :p

I ask because the Italians (& Germans) have the best bodies to deal with in the modeling world. They look youngest the longest, whereas English & Irish types start looking older much quicker. It's due to the thickness of the skin. English & Irish have thin skin, and skin gets thinner as we age, so it makes sense that those with thicker skin will age more slowly.
I agree about the looking younger thing. That is true in my family. We all of us look younger than our ages. Even my maternal grandparents, who passed at 88 and 90, had certain aspects that were "younger" than their ages. My grandfather was pretty healthy until the last months of his life, and while my grandmother had several physical ailments common in old age (severe arthritis, cataracts, heart problems) she had skin on her arms and legs that was unwrinkled. But I think environment plays a role as well. When we visited my mother's childhood friends in Italy (who worked on farms all their lives), they looked considerably older than my mother.

You can buy the Personal Profile CD on her website www.t-tapp.com
I suggest buying her book because in the back of it is a "coupon" that you can send in & get 30% off any order from the website.
It really IS very interesting. Reading on the website & so forth has motivated me to do more studying about blood types & the like. It's amazing what I've learned about my own body in the past few months. Simply amazing! :)
It really does sound very interesting. I'll have to look into that, thanks! :)

Mami
04-10-2007, 06:44 PM
I always had an hour glass that would turn pearish when I put on a few pounds, just getting more thick in the butt, hips and thighs. This time I put on more than ever before so it was interesting to see I could actually gain weight on my back and so much on my stomach. Luckily everything's coming down in size fairly evenly.

Zorak
04-10-2007, 07:20 PM
I'm an hourglass. :)

Your bra and back fat problem may be solved in part by getting a properly fitting bra. Typically a bra that is too large will cause "back fat" and a too small cup-size will cause what my friends called "boob fat".

Not to single you out, but I had a similar issue and getting properly fitted solved my problem. Here's a neat site (http://www.herroom.com/solutions-to-bra-fitting-problems,209,30.html) about various bra fitting issues.

Unfotunately I need to get fitted yet again. :dizzy: Although I can't complain too much because I enjoy being able to wear smaller shirts and cute tops.

ennay
04-10-2007, 08:29 PM
I have back fat too, and a proper fitting bra. I lose weight from the outside in. I noticed that I look quite thin from the collarbones up and I think now the knees down.

Actually I am a V from the side view (big boobs, no butt) and an H from the front view. - What kind of pants fit THAT.

redlight
04-10-2007, 09:49 PM
I'm somewhere between an hourglass and an apple. I have fairly broad shoulders and ample boobs. I still have a tummy, and think I always will. My hips are broad, but I don't have all that much of a butt.

My aunt and cousin are true apples with even more boobs and belly, but less hips.

AquaWarlock
04-10-2007, 10:13 PM
I'm unusually hourglass/pear shaped (unusual only because I'm a guy, who are usually more V/apples) -- but I've always been better at lower body workouts so maybe just bigger muscles.

Either way, no major complaints -- though just a tad hard finding good men's jeans that fit well (most of them are a bit snug around the thighs, and I don't like the baggy style.)

redlight
04-11-2007, 11:18 PM
I'm curious. Has anyone here had their body shape change considerably by losing or gaining?

Natalia
04-11-2007, 11:32 PM
When I am in my healthy range, I am perfectly proportionate. (I have had 2 different seamstresses tell me how rare that was when they were doing dresses for me ..and I didn't feel proportionate! )
Now as an overweight girl i have a really big tummy..not so big hips, or thighs..so yeah imo many "apples" when they are their ideal weight , you cannot tell their shape..pears often you can cause they're a bit hippier, with a bit more generous thigh :) though it does look very feminine.

zenor77
04-11-2007, 11:53 PM
A lot of it is finding the right style to fit your body-relaxed fit (fuller through the hips and thighs), Old Navy Curvy cut jeans, and jeans that are made "At The Waist" or "Just Below The Waist" at Old Navy are cut more for hourglasses and pears...and the low rise boot cut style jeans are cut more for apples.

I just found out this last weekend that Old Navy is re-designing their denim line. :( I too love the curvy jeans (I'm an hourglass) I'll be sad if they discontinue them. I went into the store and they were completely depleted on jeans and when I asked about it that's what they told me. Online is picked over too. I think the girl said that the new line comes out mid-June.

Have you ever tried Levi's 515s? I find that they fit me really well for low-rise jeans.

jtammy
04-12-2007, 12:07 AM
At my heaviest, I was pear shaped. I see that changing slightly more to an hourglass figure as I lose weight.

aphil
04-12-2007, 08:45 AM
You can't really change your body shape-if you are an apple, then you will never be an hourglass. Our bodies are genetically made to be what shape they are. When we are heavy, we all have those certain spots where the weight tends to stay.

It may seem like you might be changing shape as you lose-but it is because you are losing weight/fat. When you are closer to goal weight, your body doesn't have as much fat in your problem areas, so you look more proportioned. You aren't becoming an hourglass as you lose weight-when you were a pear or apple. You are still what you are, just not holding onto the fat in the places where it was obvious before.

Even in thin women, you can see their shape if you really look. At their ideal weights, and in good shape-apples tend to have more defined/muscular legs with more definition. Pears and hourglasses do not. Hourglasses and pears tend to have much more shapely and defined abs-while it is really hard, even thin and fit, for apples and cylindars to get that curvy waist and ab definition. Apples tend to have broader ribcages-even being thin they might wear a 36-38 band size on their bra...and a pear or hourglass might wear a 34 at a similar weight/height.

Hourglasses and pears both have curvy, womanly hips and legs-but the hourglass will be more chesty and have more proportional shoulders. At the same height and weight, the pear might be a B cup, and the hourglass might be a C.

You will look more proportioned as you lose and get fit-but you can't really change what your natural body type is. You can only lose weight to minimize that, and dress to flatter your natural shape.

rockinrobin
04-12-2007, 08:55 AM
I am an hourglass - all the way. Very small waist.

ennay
04-12-2007, 02:39 PM
aphils description leaves me even MORE confused about what I am...

I'm definitely NOT an hourglass, even though I am really busty. I never have close to a 10" difference hip to waist to bust.

I used to be more apple, even as a teen I carried belly fat...this time my lower belly is losing weight, never has happened before in my life, I am losing in completely different places than before. (maybe SBD isnt full of crap on "lose belly fat")

But I am a 34 band....although I dont tend to think of myself as having a small ribcage because my ribs decend into my waist to the point where my ribsize controls my waist size more than anything else. And my ribs dont V

I'm somewhere between an apple and an H. I think if I get to my ideal body weight my body type will be "tree" Straight solid undefined trunk that branches suddenly into enormous boobs and shoulders. :lol:

aphil
04-12-2007, 03:12 PM
ennay-
How are your arms? Do you tend to carry fat there when you are heavier?

How does your back look when you are heavier?

Do you have any cellulite at all?

Do your legs look more "long and lean" like Cameron Diaz-or do you get more sculpted calves-really defined muscles in them in the back, contrasting with narrower ankles.

Your belly fat...is it all over (upper and lower abs and love handles) or is it concentrated more in one area of the abs?

Is your butt nonexistent-as in very small hips when you look directly in front of the mirror at yourself...or is your hip measurement smaller because if you look at yourself in front of the mirror, you HAVE hips that you can see wider than your waist...but from the side your butt is "flat". (So the measurement would still be smaller than an hourglass. (Did that make sense at all? :lol: )

A 34 band size can be an apple or a cylindar...I was just saying that if you had women of the same size, that the apples would tend to have larger band sizes compared to pears or hourglasses of the same size.

nelie
04-12-2007, 03:21 PM
I'm wondering if I'm a cylinder then?

I have a big butt, fat all over my tummy and back, big arms, shoulders about the same width as my hips, waist 12 inches smaller than both hips/shoulders, thin ankles and muscular legs, big calves but smaller ankles, I wear a 40C but I've fluctuated between B and C cups.

MariaMaria
04-12-2007, 04:21 PM
The body shapes (apple, pear, cylinder, whatever) are just general guidelines, general ways of categorizing different body shapes. It's entirely possible for you not to fit into any one category prefectly. Humans aren't binary (apple or not, cylinder or not) in that way.

maalisse
04-12-2007, 04:24 PM
This thread has made me totally confused as to what shape I am. :P

Leenie
04-12-2007, 04:30 PM
I always did call myself a tree trunk :lol3:

lumifan4ever
04-12-2007, 04:50 PM
I'm not sure what shape I would be considered. Although I carry extra weight in my arms, chest....I carry most of my weight in my abdomen and thighs. Not my butt though....i have a flat butt. But I definately need to lose from my abs and thighs!!! So what does that make me????

MariaMaria
04-12-2007, 04:55 PM
Human.

This discussion is reminding me of Color Me Beautiful. (For those of you too young to have experienced it, it was a four-seasons classification system that was supposed to describe which colors you could wear well. You were either a winter or a spring or a summer or an autumn. This was the late 1980s.) I never fit into any one season and I don't fit into any one body shape.

srmb60
04-12-2007, 05:09 PM
We used that book in the classes I took.

Is that really me
04-12-2007, 07:36 PM
Human.

This discussion is reminding me of Color Me Beautiful. (For those of you too young to have experienced it, it was a four-seasons classification system that was supposed to describe which colors you could wear well. You were either a winter or a spring or a summer or an autumn. This was the late 1980s.) I never fit into any one season and I don't fit into any one body shape.

OMG!!! I forgot all about this!! My parents set up an appointment for me the spring I got married, 1987. My one older brother was there. He couldn't get over how pale I am. Like, where had he been for 26 years? The woman seemed impressed that I actually knew how to put mascara on. I think I was an autumn but don't really remember. Only knew that she told me that blues do wonders for my skin tone; eggplant colors too. But I already knew that! :) Thanks for a trip down my memory lane!

Jo

aphil
04-12-2007, 08:15 PM
Not everyone is going to be 100% a perfect example of one body type down to the letter, but most people do fit into them, and the rest tend to lean towards one type more than the others-even if there might be a discrepancy or two. ;)

The whole coloring/seasons thing IS true though...certain colors do flatter certain skin tones/eye colors/hair colors more than others. Honestly-with my red hair, wearing a fuschia shirt is a DISASTER. Talk about CLASH... :rofl:

Also, if I wear red it has to be on a bracelet, or pants/skirt...never a turtleneck or blouse, because it is too near my hair for the same reason-it competes with my hair too much, instead of flattering it.

When I used to work in the salon, women would come in wanting their hair dyed red...and I would tell the pale ones with the blue or green eyes to go for a copper shade and those with naturally darker skin/brown eyes/naturally dark brown to black hair to go for the burgandy or dark cinnamon tones.

ennay
04-12-2007, 08:56 PM
ennay-
How are your arms? Do you tend to carry fat there when you are heavier? YES

How does your back look when you are heavier? FAT - ACTUALLY THATS PROBABLY MY WORST AREA NOW

Do you have any cellulite at all? OH GOD :rofl:

Do your legs look more "long and lean" like Cameron Diaz-or do you get more sculpted calves-really defined muscles in them in the back, contrasting with narrower ankles. HMMM...NOT REALLY EITHER, I GUESS MORE MUSCULAR, BUT NOT ALL THAT DEFINED. I HAVE THIN ANKLES AND BIG CALVES AND QUADS, BUT NO CUT IN MY CALVES. AND NO "BALL" CALF. ALL SLOW-TWITCH FIBER, NO FAST TWITCH.

Your belly fat...is it all over (upper and lower abs and love handles) or is it concentrated more in one area of the abs? IT USED TO BE LOWER AB, BUT NOW IT IS ALL OVER

Is your butt nonexistent-as in very small hips when you look directly in front of the mirror at yourself...or is your hip measurement smaller because if you look at yourself in front of the mirror, you HAVE hips that you can see wider than your waist...but from the side your butt is "flat". (So the measurement would still be smaller than an hourglass. (Did that make sense at all? :lol: ) FROM THE FRONT I HAVE VISIBLE HIPS AND FROM THE SIDE A FLAT BUTT

A 34 band size can be an apple or a cylindar...I was just saying that if you had women of the same size, that the apples would tend to have larger band sizes compared to pears or hourglasses of the same size.

Lol, it doesnt really matter, unless you can magically tell me where to find pants that fit. I definitely carry less lower ab fat than I did pre kids and my hips are wider (I am probably the only woman I know who was so happy that my hips spread and stayed spread) My hips and shoulders look proportional--I used to have really wide shoulders. Kind of Mary Lou Retton with boobs. My shape has changed over the last 5 years. I still look more like a swimmer than a runner.

But heck- my color me beautiful palette did too! I grew up an autumn until I was in my early 20's when my skin lightened and my hair darkened and now I am much closer to a winter.

mamaplots
04-25-2007, 07:43 AM
An apple woman carries all of her weight from the belly up. These women usually have great muscular legs, small butts-but carry their weight in their entire upper body-big bellies, lovehandles, "back fat", larger upper arms, chubbier faces, and lots of times larger breasts with a larger band size.

I can tell from this description that this is me to a TEE. It sounds totally depressing!

aphil
04-25-2007, 07:59 AM
Don't let it be depressing-dress to play up your best atributes! Your body type looks wonderful in shorter skirts/heels, and shorts! Show off your great legs!!! :D

Mami
04-25-2007, 08:03 AM
I'm curious. Has anyone here had their body shape change considerably by losing or gaining?

That is a really good question. When I was pregnant I gained so much weight on my stomach. I know we poo poo away pregnancy weight as not being real weight, but there was so much fat that was added to my stomach that even though its going down, everything else is looking more like before yet my stomach is still bigger than everything when it used to be one of the relatively smallest body parts. My waist has definitely become small again, and that had gotten wider than I'd ever seen it before and honestly never dreamed it could become. I've always had a very small waist and prior to my pregnancy, had always gained weight in my hips, thighs and butt. I still have ample hips, thighs and butt, but they're getting smaller and nicer. I used to wear a high 34 B cup, now I wear a 34 D cup. So everything's changed really!

improbable
04-25-2007, 09:45 AM
http://www.humsci.auburn.edu/cahs/faculty/connell/image002.gif

Helped me figure it out a little - I'm usually told by those things that I'm hourglass shaped, but I have a high waist with not very much definition - according to this one, I'm rectangular shaped, which makes much more sense. Still, the thinner I get, the closer to hourglass - right now its 36, 27, 37 which I am totally excited about.

KnitALisa
04-25-2007, 10:55 AM
A friend of mine was more of an apple when she was heavy. After losing 70ish lbs, she definitely looked more like a pear. So I guess it is possible! (Her feet also shrank two sizes. Bodies are weird!)

Su-Bee
05-02-2007, 12:32 PM
I am a V. Broad shoulders, big boobs, and I put weight in my tummy, but even at my heaviest I have slim hips & a flat butt.

I have great legs, but have a hard time showing them off in a miniskirt without looking so top-heavy that I might tip over at any moment!

For the colours/seasons thing, I am completely a winter. Black hair & skin so white that it can be blue - I've been compared to Snow White!