Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 04-10-2007, 01:19 AM   #1  
Queen of Rationalization

S/C/G: 260/257/135

Height: 5'3

Default Slow-Speed Strength Training

Hello...

I'm am just getting ready to start my fitness program which includes strength training. I'm used to the typical method of 2 or 3 sets with 10-15 reps. While getting my plan designed however I came across something called slow speed strength training where the exerciser takes 20 seconds to do each of the 6 reps totalling 2 minutes per machine. This method supposedly exhausts the muscles faster and more completly.

I guess my question is if anyone has done this method or if it works or even if it sounds bogus?
c_laura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 07:05 AM   #2  
Mel

It's an idea that comes arond every few years. I trained a few clients several years ago using this method at their instistence. At the end of 10 weeks, our assessment was that it didn't work any better than traditional weight training, was excruciatingly painful if not impossible for some exercises, and didn't help them progress. The claim that it lowered the chance of injury aslo makes little sense to me.

We were using a program based on a book called "Slow Burn".

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote