Weight Loss Support - Why do you whant to get slim?

View Full Version : Why do you whant to get slim?

funnygirl33
04-09-2007, 06:38 PM
Did you ever think about it? Why do you want to get slim? What do you think would change?

First, I think I would look better and I could dress better. It was not important to me before but as I got older (I am 33) i think it meters to me more.

I would like to be relaxed during sex and I can’t be that on this size.

I think people would like me more because I would be me more energetic and friendly.

I think that all that is realistic. What are you thinking about?

HarPoe
04-09-2007, 06:55 PM
Clothes are a big part of it for me too!

I want to be healthy...I want to walk up a flight of stairs without getting painfully out of breath (asthma+obesity=not pretty.).

I want to be more comfortable in my body.

backtome
04-09-2007, 07:01 PM
Good question!

My family wants to become more outdoorsy (camping, hiking etc) and frankly, there would be no way I could sleep, much less move around comfortably, in a tent.
I also want to feel confidant and pretty and light. I remember feeling light, and delicate. I would like to feel that way again.

Nancy

ennay
04-09-2007, 07:05 PM
family history of diabetes....and personal history of insulin resistance, gestational diabetes and sugar problems

family history of heart disease...personal history of high cholesterol from the age of <21 & blood pressure issues only above 180 lbs. (under 180 I have very very low BP)

2 beautiful babies

JayEll
04-09-2007, 07:05 PM
When I was younger I was physically fit, and I would like to improve my fitness. It's all about health for me. I've been gaining weight, losing some, gaining again, for years, and I'm making a real change now.

I don't yet have high blood pressure, high cholesterol, diabetes, etc., and I don't want to go there! And my aches and pains (lower back, etc.) have greatly improved since I have started exercising more and have lost weight. It's amazing how much easier it is to move when one weighs less.

Jay

nelie
04-09-2007, 07:06 PM
I want to be healthy and be able to do the things I like. My weight has put great strain on my knees and if I continued to be overweight for the rest of my life, what else would happen? Losing 100 lbs was one of the greatest things I ever did. I enjoy feeling healthy and seeing the positive changes in my body.

trekkiegirl
04-09-2007, 07:09 PM
I want to feel better physically while I'm still young enough and fit enough to do it. I want to make sure I'm in good health now so that I can, hopefully, have a decent old age. I want to be less self-conscious about my body. I want to get back at least a little athleticism and strength.

NWGal
04-09-2007, 07:17 PM
Well, health is my No.1 reason. Although I don't have high blood pressure and diabetes, my knees hurt all the time and I was out of breath after only a story of stairs. I know all those 171 pounds were just too much for my 5'4" frame to carry.

Also, saving money is my 2nd reason, I want to fit into my old pants instead of spending money on bigger ones. :D

Sunnigummi
04-09-2007, 07:26 PM
My main goal is to look nice. I love seeing my jawline. It makes me feel pretty, for whatever reason. ;) I've always had big hips, just accentuated (negatively) by the excess fat, so I would LOVE to get rid of it and wear skirts and not look like an exclamation mark. Also, being slim would make me more comfortable in public, when I have to present. Not so conscious about what people are thinking of me.

BooBear2071
04-09-2007, 07:30 PM
First- my health. I don't have any major problems yet but it seems to me being overweight makes everything worse. Knee problems; joint problems; and you know just worrying about all the possiblities was too much for me.

Second - clothing.

Third - Marriage. Notice how everyone who loses weight seems to get married soon after if single?

Fourth -- you know how some people have the love of their lives? I have the battle of my life.This is it -- it has hounded me forever. I am going to beat this -- down into the ground and make it cry uncle.

Fifth -- I want to get a better job. I feel like my job is good but I was stopped from all the best jobs due to my weight. I have a very good resume and the only thing stopping me from the great resume is the weight and my look.

BooBear
212/178/133

http://nrx101270.googlepages.com/home

nelie
04-09-2007, 07:37 PM
Third - Marriage. Notice how everyone who loses weight seems to get married soon after if single?

You know something, I think this has to do with more of your frame of mind than anything. I lost weight and started dating my DH but he didn't know I had lost weight. I hadn't seen him in over a year even though we worked for the same manager. After we talked about dating, I told him I had lost weight and he was very encouraging.

I really think my frame of mind changed more than my weight. It was what really enabled me to have a loving relationship with someone.

maegdaeien
04-09-2007, 07:38 PM
I was just thinking about this today, actually! Funny you should ask.

I realized that I want to lose weight and get fit so that I'm physically better. My big thing in life is being independent and capable, and I realized that I am not physically capable if I keep getting winded easily, can't lift much, have to worry about developing health problems, and continue being a slave to food. I want to be smart and strong, a force to be reckoned with! :lifter:

Runundefined
04-09-2007, 07:42 PM
I am at the age (in my 40's) that health is now an issue.. I have diabetes in my family and high blood pressure as well.

But I won't lie and say I don't want to walk in a room and feel sexy. I have a visualization I do to motivate me and I am wearing a very sexy, very short red silk dress.. and GADS! no bra because I don't have huge boobs anymore.. (like that will ever happen.. but it IS my imagination!)...

I use the fear of diabetes daily (I worked with a kidney surgeon that did transplants... 80% of all patients were on dialysis because of diabetes) to motivate me.. (I actually have that "use fear of diabetes to do this") pop up daily in my Outlook reminders.. along with "remember to take care of yourself today".. they are in there each day.. to keep me on track..

a few more reasons:
I want to look less matronly...

I want to not walk in a room and immediately feel uncomfortable.

I want to use a normal size towel after a shower.

I want to wear sexy bras (there's the boob thing again) why can't they make cute bras for large breasted women?

I want to ride a bike and not hear Queen's "Fat Bottom Girls" in my mind..

I want to wear a pair of levi's button fly jeans.

I would love to make love and not feel so uncomfortable and try to cover up as soon as I can.

I would love to go bungee jumping.

Sometime I would love to learn to inline skate..

I want to do a cartwheel again..

I could go on and on..

Rose2
04-09-2007, 07:42 PM
Hi, I'm with ennay! Diabeties run in my family and I had gestational diabeties. I also want to throw on clothes and not be worried about how my clothes fit me and what bulges out. I want thin thighs too!!!

drake3272004
04-09-2007, 08:26 PM
HEALTH!!! Between tendonitis, bad knees, whacked out hormones, sleep apnea, depression, and acid reflux...........I was going crazy already and knew that if I kept my weight up then things were going to go down hill FAST!
I want to be able to keep up with my kids, I would LOVE to have another baby and I have all these clothes that I've "outgrown"......I really miss them:(

trekkiegirl
04-09-2007, 10:15 PM
Originally Posted by BooBear2071

Originally Posted by nelie
You know something, I think this has to do with more of your frame of mind than anything.

I agree, Nelie. I'm single by choice...wasn't looking for marriage at any weight or at any age. My weight loss issues, and my reasons for wanting to lose weight, are totally about my own perception of myself and my concerns about my health, not about looking for something or someone outside. I can't say I've been treated any differently by men at 200 lbs than I was at 140 lbs. They either don't notice my weight or look at it more positively than I do. That being said, I think I'm basically the same person whether I'm 140, 160 or 200. I'm still pretty easy-going, smart, funny, and of course, modest. :D Only now I'm just a great person who wants to be able to run a lap around a track without fearing a stroke or heart attack. :D
I think it's possible some single folks who get married soon after losing weight are able to do so because the weight loss increased their confidence and outgoing-ness...that it could just as well have happened when they were heavier had they felt comfortable about it.

HarPoe
04-10-2007, 12:39 AM
I want to ride a bike and not hear Queen's "Fat Bottom Girls" in my mind..

Oh man, that made me laugh so hard!

As for everybody talking about love life and jobs and advancement...any job or man worth having wouldn't discriminate against big girls. In fact, few would. I don't know of any who would.

It's your attitude. While I understand and relate...I have to face it. When the weight's gone I won't have anything left to blame but myself.

People don't look at you and see fat. They look at you and see a frowning, uncomfortable woman who lacks confidence in herself. I agree that losing weight always makes me more self confident, and THAT's what attracts people. Not my new size.

rockinrobin
04-10-2007, 06:40 AM
First and foremost my health. I am still not quite sure how I let myself balloon up to 287 lbs. I am simply not that same person I was just over 7 months ago. I will never, ever again allow myself to be put at such added risks for so many deadly and debilitating diseases. I am simply ashamed at myself for risking the life of my 3 daughters mother, that would be me. How could I have possibly allowed that to happen?

And then of course there's the usual stuff - fabulous clothes, greater energy, higher activity level. Feeling "normal" and "regular". More confidence and outgoing. Less worries. The opportunity to be the best that I can be. More joy and happiness.

Cheryl14
04-10-2007, 07:26 AM
For the first 25 years of my life I was relatively slim, certainly not fat. I was always active and busy and involved with life on all levels. My weight gain began when I married and had my children. These last twenty-five or so years have become VERY DIFFERENT from my first 25, and I am happy to be getting the "old" me back! :broc:

Probably my biggest reason for losing the weight is to recapture the positiveness that comes with feeling good in my own skin. I was never an athlete, but I certainly enjoyed swimming, riding bikes, playing tennis, skating, gardening, bowling, and volleyball. As I settled into marriage and my first job, the stresses and responsibilities started to define me. I became old in my mind as well as in my body. As the responsibilities grew, more weight went on. I became a very different person from the person I had been earlier in my life. It happened gradually, and soon I felt trapped in my own body and also in my mind's eye.

I have been fortunate to have no health issues. There are quite a few people in my family who have lived to 100 or over, so I am thankful for a healthy set of genes. I never really thought about health issues associated with weight because I could pretty much do anything I USED to do even when I was 275 pounds. Maybe that's because I took on my weight gradually and just got used to any extra effort that it took to do things.

A couple years ago when I began this newest phase of my now seven-year weight loss plan, I got to thinking..."I've got a good chance that with good care, this body of mine will probably make it to 100 or older. (My mom is 95.) I can live these next 45-50 years with good health and happiness, OR I can abuse my body with added weight and maybe live long but be sick, unable to move well, and/or be unable to live the life I WANT to live." That's just STUPID, so I am working hard to get back to the "old" me.

Looking forward a bit, I'm hoping to be a FABULOUS GRAMMA to my future grandkids. With our own I was always pitching them balls, taking them swimming at the pool or at the lake, riding bikes with them and skating for HOURS. I want to be able to do those things with our grandkids, too!

Losing these eighty pounds has been great because I can move like I used to when I was thirty. I'm actually more coordinated now than I was back then thanks to the yoga and Turbo Jam and the dancing that I am doing regularly. I feel like I have a second chance to GET IT RIGHT. I DO NOT want to blow this!!!

Cheryl

JayEll
04-10-2007, 07:32 AM
Cheryl, what a wonderful story! Thanks for sharing it!

Jay

PinkyPie
04-10-2007, 07:49 AM
I will probably echo a lot of sentiments here :)

1) Health. First and Foremost. I'm approaching 40 and I do not want to have diabetes IF I can prevent it.

2) I want to have a baby. Being almost 40 I'm already in a high-risk group. I don't want to add weight to the risks.

3) I have tons of clothes that I love. GOOD clothes. Clothes that don't go out of style. Of course I want to go shopping again too, but really, my clothes kicked butt and I want to wear them dangit! :lol:

4) I want to feel generally better about myself. I want to be comfortable in my body. I want to romp around with my boyfriend like we used to when I wasn't so self-concious (see reason number 2. Hard to have a baby if you aren't even romping around...)

5) I want my energy levels back. I do have to say though - since I've been more active since end of Feb I feel REALLY good in general, even though I haven't lost weight.

6) I want to not be ruled by the scale or my weight. I want to develop good habits that stay with me for a lifetime :)

I lost weight before and kept it off for almost 3 years. The memory of that is still VERY fresh in my mind. Not to make excuses but I had a really bad patch (depression, lost my job, got divorced, almost went into financial ruin) and I pretty much threw all of my hard work away because I couldn't cope otherwise. I'm in therapy now and was on anti-depressants for a while. I am so much better now that I'm currently weaning off the meds (which will help with the weight loss!), though I will continue to stay in therapy.

ZedAus
04-10-2007, 08:11 AM
Simply for health, so I can live longer.

It has only been SINCE I lost the weight that I have seen all of the other benefits. I truly did not think of them along the way. I just wanted to be around longer to spend MANY more years with my husband.

Zelma

AllyCat30
04-10-2007, 09:45 AM
Oh, so many reasons...

-I want to be fit. Not just slim but fit.
-I'm only 26 and I want to look as good as possible. I feel like I have wasted my 20s being the chubby girl.
-I want to look good in clothes.
-I WILL wear a bikini to the pool this summer (and look good in it).
-I want to be attractive to my husband (even though he says he loves me at any weight- that alone makes me want to work even harder).
-I feel bad for my horse who in a few weeks will have to carry my butt around in a 50 miles race. The least I can do is make his load a little lighter.

almostheaven
04-10-2007, 09:57 AM
My first thought was that I would be dead before I reached 40 at the rate I was going. I bent down to tie my shoes at 37 and like to never got my breath back. I'm a former heart surgery patient. So at 37 and over 250 pounds, I was TRYING to get myself buried. And it would've taken an incredibly large coffin that would've bankrupted hubby.

That's been most of my thought through this, getting healthy and living a longer, more enjoyable life.

Other reasons that came along were the ability to fit into smaller places, the joy that I now get out of life that I didn't before. I don't plop down at the TV or computer now, I get out and experience more. I play with my son...a son I never realized I'd be having at 40 since I'd already finished raising my daughter. It was an unexpected benefit of getting healthy. ;)

I like wearing nice sexy clothes and looking younger than my years now. I like the attention I get. But what I like the most is not cursing out the guy who parks 5 inches from my car door when I need to get into my car, not complaining about getting groceries because it means I'll have to stand on my tired feet and aching knees at the checkout for God knows how long, it means walking to and from the car, it meant...gasp!...exercise, hard work. ;) I like that I get more done in a day and it doesn't leave me breathless. That I can buy clothes off the $3 racks at Wal*Mart. LOL That I can paint my own toenails, fit in the tub without having a shower curtain sticking to my thunder thighs, fit in an airplane seat...and be COMFORTABLE!, fit in an airplane bathroom! ;) That I don't have to rely on the handicapped stalls now, and even when the stalls are super small, I STILL fit.

All those little things that cropped up along the way. Those are what kept me going, what keeps me keeping the weight off. They're why I want to be and stay slim.

Eves
04-10-2007, 10:43 AM
Oh, you know, the usual...

The Lara Croft outfit I have to wear to work chafes with my big thighs.

It´s really embarrassing when your whip can barely go around your waist.

The other day I was confused for the 30 ton stone ball!

The canibalistic natives are on this new diet craze and only looking for low-fat victims.

That bridge to the Holy Grail is really flimsy. Really. And that lardo Indy cracked it last time he went there.

Seriously though, health reasons. If you can´t run that 30 ton stone ball will kill you.

JayEll
04-10-2007, 10:57 AM
archy! :lol: :lol: :lol: :rofl: :rofl: :lol3:

cynnymynn
04-10-2007, 11:05 AM
While appearance is definitely a big reason for me, something that has become even more important is having more energy. I'm amazed at how much my energy level picks up when I 'm eating right and exercising! I'm doing all kinds of things I never would have considered doing during my couch potato days.

:carrot: :carrot: :carrot:

twistedhoneydew
04-10-2007, 11:18 AM
*Has a good laugh at Archy*

I always wondered how the morbidly obese got so heavy. I mean, how does someone get to weighing 350 pounds...was seeing 250 not enough to convince them to impliment a lifestyle change? 300? So I decided several years ago that at my height, the magic number was 200...if I started seeing a two at the front of my weight, I needed to do something, and do it soon, because it's just not ever going to get any easier.

Okay, that, and vanity. I'm 21, and I'm getting married in November...isn't it worth some sacrifices to be really cute for my fiancee, not just managebly attractive? Worth it to be thin in my wedding pictures, to spend my twenties looking the best I can? I'm safely out of the 200 lbs. danger area, but I want to keep going until I'm looking my best, wherever that happens to be.

BackPorchPoet
04-10-2007, 11:37 AM
I want to lose weight

-to be healthy. I am scared of high blood pressure and diabetes and the other health issues that can arise due to them.

-to feel better. Being fat sucks! I feel self-concious when I'm out in public. I would like to feel more confident. I already know I'm fabulous, but I feel like when people see me, they only can see my fat. It's frustrating to be ignored.

-to wear better clothes. I don't understand why plus size companies think all plus size women want to wear tents.

Beach Patrol
04-10-2007, 11:39 AM
I used to be SOOOOOO VAIN... & I still am, to a point, but not as bad as I was when I was younger.... :chin: In my 20's & 30's, it was pretty much all about how good can I look in a swimsuit... and can I buy those size 6 jeans & look cute in a sleeveless top?

...anyhoo...

As I've aged, I've learned more about exercise, nutrition, and what the body is capable of & how it works & why it needs certain things (& why it doesn't!).

Now, my reasoning for "getting slim" is 100% health reasons. My hubby & I have no children; when we get to our golden years, we'll have no one to take care of us. We'll have to do it ourselves for as long as we possibly can. Therefore, we need to be very mindful of our health right now.

I need to lower my cholesterol, my blood sugar, and my triglycerides. I need to get COMPLETELY off sugar - FOR GOOD. I'm convinced that sugar is just from da'devil! :devil: It tastes sooooooo good! - but it's like a poison to my body! (And I'm talking processed sugar here, not natural sugars, like in fruit.)

I also need to eat better for my brain, my heart, & my bones/joints. These are things that I am working toward, slowly but surely.

So it's all about the health for me. Looking good in a swimsuit is a bonus. :D

trekkiegirl
04-10-2007, 01:19 PM
-I feel bad for my horse

I like this reason best of all! :D

ellabella
04-10-2007, 01:48 PM
For me, it's because # ONE, I feel absolutely TERRIBLE :stress: when I am overweight. I really do. I also want to LOOK better, but I'm realistic enough to know that at my advanced age, I can only look but so good...I'm never going to frolic around the beach in a bikini again, although I'd like to look fit and slim in a one-piece suit for sure. :D Then there's the health issue. If, as we age, we just let ourselves go...don't exercise or eat right, then we really will age quicker and become sedentery and limited in our ability to do stuff.

That's it for me...

Ella

Nikaia
04-10-2007, 01:50 PM
I remember how great I felt my senior year of high school, the slimmest I ever was, when I didn't have to feel self-conscious. I had this silky black top, very clingy, that I used to wear, and it looked great on me...I want to be able to wear that top again without seeing rolls on the sides.

Also cause my dad has agreed to pay for my boob reduction surgery once I hit goal weight, and I am SICK to death of hauling around my humongous boobage.

HeatherAngel
04-10-2007, 03:34 PM
Well, frankly, I just want to like who I am.

I realised that I like a lot of things about myself, but I HATE being overweight SO much that I hate myself, despite being talented, intelligent, educated, and funny.

I AM going to enjoy buying clothes out of 'normal' stores; I am going to LOVE riding a horse again; I am going to dance in shows without getting out of breath... but mostly, I am going to LIKE MYSELF.

Oh, and not end up diabetic, on oxygen and with heart problems - like my beloved Dad, who I am built JUST LIKE.

Heather :D

BooBear2071
04-11-2007, 08:07 AM
I can't say I've been treated any differently by men at 200 lbs than I was at 140 lbs.

Well I do have to agree with that. I haven't seen any sort of change although so many people (men and women) have really noticed the weight loss I haven't gotten a ton of dates.

That said - I suspect that eventually there will be more opportunites. I do see some greater goodwill among everyone so.

aphil
04-11-2007, 08:23 AM
Oh, you know, the usual...

The Lara Croft outfit I have to wear to work chafes with my big thighs.

Itīs really embarrassing when your whip can barely go around your waist.

The other day I was confused for the 30 ton stone ball!

The canibalistic natives are on this new diet craze and only looking for low-fat victims.

That bridge to the Holy Grail is really flimsy. Really. And that lardo Indy cracked it last time he went there.

Seriously though, health reasons. If you canīt run that 30 ton stone ball will kill you.

:rofl: :lol: :lol3:

Thanks for that! :D

Well, let's see:

My aunt passed at around 40 years old due to complications from diabetes-namely not keeping her weight under control, which led to heart failure from the stress on her body from being overweight with too high blood sugar levels.

I had just had my first baby when she passed, and I was a gestational diabetic-very high risk for a future of diabetes. It was my main motivation to lose my weight after Jasmine was born. (I gain a lot of weight with each baby, have big babies, and had to go through it again after baby #2-now I am doing it for the LAST time after baby #3.)

The clothes, the confidence, and all that is a nice side effect...but mainly my health and trying to keep diabetes away, and being alive for my children and grandchildren is my main motivation.

stephyk
04-11-2007, 10:43 AM
I think for me it is more for self confidence. I want to be able to walk into a room and not feel like I am the biggest person in the room. I want to be able to get out and walk, and run and feel good about who I am.

nicolbw
04-11-2007, 10:45 AM
I've been overweight since the 3rd grade. So I would like to prove to myself that my body can be a normal weight and stay that way.

My other reasons are pretty vain. I want to look good and feel sexy. That is more important to me than any food or any "pain" from exercising.

lumifan4ever
04-11-2007, 11:23 AM
okay...i'm not going to lie about it...I'm tired of looking and feeling fat. I know how to take good facial pics. I have the angle thing down pat!!! but When you get to the body, there is just nothing I can really do about making me look less wide. I look like a hippo in pictures. I can't stand it!!!! I want to be in pictures with my kids but I don't want to have two of them standing in front of me, side by side, and you can still see me on either side of them. Okay, maybe i'm not that wide anymore, but i certainly feel it.

And of course, there's the health thing. Since excersizing lately, I feel like I can walk up more steps and not get winded as quickly. I also want to be able to go to the park with my kids and have the energy to play frisbee and battmitten.....

I want to look good in clothes. I am tired of having to wear shirts that cover the pooch of my stomach. I want to be able to wear short shirts, or even dress shirts tucked in without my belly sticking out almost as far as my boobs.

Then there is the sex thing. I am pretty comfortable about being naked with my boyfriend, but don't expect me to get up naked and walk around the room. But I hope to one day in the next 12 months!!!!

Any other reasons??? Well, of course, don't we really all deep down want our men to be able to have that private smirk that they have a hot woman!!! I know I would like my boyfriend to think that. Of course, we all know that looks fade in time, but for just a little while, I'd like my man to know...he has a HOT woman. And I want to be a hot woman. I was a size 3 when I was in high school. The year I graduated, I finally felt like maybe I really was attractive. I want to feel that again. But at a better, safer weight.

Anyways, those are some of the reasons I want to lose weight!!

funnygirl33
04-22-2007, 06:05 PM
I have read all this posts and they were also my thougts. I have to say that I have nevere felt tin as far as I can remebmer, not even as a child. I was slim but did not feel like that and got chubby soon. Every moving, every emotional destress and I got bigger and bigger.

Now I realised that half of my life is gone and I wolud like to be more fit in my old days. Stupid but as it is.

kgood2005
04-22-2007, 08:37 PM
I have a baby with a heart defect which has been fixed but I figure that if I am healthy and his dad is healthy than its more likely that he'll grow up without being obese. (Luckily his dad was a skinny kid so he has that going for him). I figure he already has so much to deal with and I want to be a good inspiration. Plus I want the energy to play with him. Lastly I'd like to be less embarrassed in pictures. He is 15 months old and I can count on one hand the number of pictures of me with him.

gonnabelean
04-22-2007, 10:21 PM
I would be able to fit in to clothes I like. I want to wear clothes without worrying about how big my thighs/waist/arms are in comparison to my girlfriends. i REALLY just want to be able to get the clothes I want without thinking about whether I'll look fat in it.

I don't want to be called big anymore. I dont want to hear anybody else saying: gained a little bit of weight eh?

Decade
04-22-2007, 10:48 PM
All of my life I've been overweight, and something finally clicked. I'm having some strange health problems that are currently unexplained, and one thought that has come up is diabetes. If I have diabetes then I'll need to do something about it, and if I don't I don't want to head that direction. It's just something I have to do.

And I think I'd have alot more self-confidence if I did. There's just something about being able to accept yourself for who you are, and I just can't right now.

PurdueGal
04-22-2007, 11:39 PM
I want to feel better just doing everyday things.
I am 19 years old and I don't want to spend my entire youth being fat.
I want to wear cute little shirts and dresses.
I want to walk into a party and feel comfortable.
I'm tired of being the "comfortable" friend.

Reddalice
04-23-2007, 07:31 AM
I want better- period. Whatever there is good in life... I want more of it. lots and lots more.

wisher
04-23-2007, 11:16 AM
Well I wish I could take the high road here and say my #1 reason for losing weight is for my health but that's not entirely true. I'm probably going to come accross as shallow when I say this but my #1 reason for wanting to lose weight is to simply look better and to feel better about my body. I'm tired of being the "big girl," I'm tired of not being able to shop in certain stores or having to root through racks hoping I'll come up with an XL, I'm tired of being too horrified to wear a bathing suit, I'm just tired of not liking myself!

It also partially has to do with my love life, which I also mentioned in my blog. I have a very close friend whom I've had a crush on for years and he's made it clear that he likes me as more than a friend too...so great, he likes me the way I am, but that doesn't help my own insecurities! I don't feel worthy of him and that's a terrible feeling, and whether anything happens between us or not I know I'll feel the same stupid emotions about the next guy and the next one too. Many here have mentioned it's the new outlook on life and confidence that can allow one to find a boyfriend or husband (note: I am definitely not looking for a husband right now!) and I want that new outlook on life, I want the confidence, I want to be comfortable with my body!

As far as the health goes there are health benefits I'm looking forward to as well, like not being so sore and tired at the end of the day, not having such painful knees and having more energy to do all of the active things that my friends do like hiking, swimming, etc. etc. and simply having a HEALTHY BODY!

sh3l5
04-23-2007, 01:30 PM
I, ultimately, am the same. I am doing it so I look better. I am also doing it for health reasons, but ultimately it is to look and feel better about myself.

I have always lacked confidence, and I feel, when the weight has gone I will be more positive to everything, including life, and feel more confortable being myself instead of prefering to be the 'quiet one in the corner'.

eemjaye
04-23-2007, 04:52 PM
I've been overweight for as long as I can remember and I'm just down right tired of carrying it around.

But THE BIG thing thats making me get through all this is that my hubby and I would like to try for our first baby in the next year. I don't want to have all the complications that come from being pregnant on top of being overweight. I want whats healthy for me and our future lil one. So until I'm down to an ideal weight I don't want to get pregnant.

mamaplots
04-25-2007, 04:46 AM
I want my husband to see me as sexy again!
I want my clothes to fit better, or to have to buy smaller clothes
I want to be able to bend comfortably without smushing my fat and being
uncomfortable.
I don't ever want my son to be ashamed of me because I'm fat.

Gamerchick
04-25-2007, 06:36 AM
A big reason is to keep my childhood fat and my adulthood skinny. I want to look better...because I don't do the things I want to do now. I look like a cute little boy instead of a girl...so I want to be a cute little thin boy.

=X I can't fathom living with my boyfriend's mom being a glutton.

doozer
04-25-2007, 07:34 AM
Wisher- I feel the same.

I know I should have loftier reasons for losing weight like my health or something but the real motivation is much less noble......

I would like, just once in my life, to wear a bikini and not feel ashamed.

I have a total fantasy in my head of playing in the pool, having drinks on a sunlounger and being totally comfortable about how I look, proud even. I know it's silly but it really gets me through those moments when I want a big bowl of cheesy pasta! ;)

(I also have that feeling of wanting to make my husband proud cause he's got a hot wife:D . He's so good to me and the weight is honestly never an issue with him- I don't think he notices either way but he does notice if another guy is checking me out which is weirdly a big boost to my self esteem.)

lovemacon
04-25-2007, 11:25 AM
Hmm.This is a great question. At the beginning of the year I made several appontments. One for a physical, one to the OBGYN, one to the cardiologist and one to the dentist. That was enough to get me moving. I have a family hisory of diabetes and high blood pressure and here I was about to be another statistic.
I have two beautiful babies and a wonderful husband that I want to be around for. i figured that at the rate I was going, I wasn't going to be around to see grandkids and retirement. I knew that if I started making healthier choices, then the weight would come off. I started making me a priority instead of the last thing on the "to do" list, and so far, it's worked. My whole mindset has changed. I've finally stopped "trying" to loose weight and began loosing weight.
I too would like to buy things that are cute, not whatever fits.

I want to be the cute girl, not the cute girl that would be cuter if she lost weight.

I want to chase the kids without being winded.

I want to run without my knees killing me.

I want to be SEXY! I know this is more of a mindset, but it's hard to feel sexy when you've got things jiggleing everywhere.

Rock Chalk Chick
04-25-2007, 11:33 AM
I sat down and made a list of this a few weeks ago on my blog - some are selfish, some are health, some are superficial, some are downright silly. But it helps to read and/or add to the list when I get frustrated with trying to be healthier. Though, I don't think of this as reasons to lose weight or "get thin" but rather reasons to turn my lifestyle around - I can be healthy regardless of whether I lose weight (though weight loss is a side effect of my healthier life!)

Reasons:

1) Fend off diabetes - no threat now but plenty of family history and potential for problems.
2) No more back flab in a bikini.
3) Keep up with my future kids.
4) Prevent from passing my fat neuroses to my children.
5) My face will be less round.
6) Minimize threat of heart disease.
7) Stop obsessing over what others think of my weight.
8) Feel more confident in any clothes.
9) Have fun shopping with others.
10) Will be more outgoing with new activities.
11) Look darn good. Period.
12) Become faster at running.
13) Become faster at biking.
14) Become faster at swimming.
15) Be willing to learn rock climbing.
16) Can wear sexy heels again with less pain.
17) Stop feeling out of breath after climbing stairs or a hill.
18) Show up my mother.
19) Be proud of myself for the accomplishment.
20) Able to wear skirts without thigh chafing.
21) Get my navel re-pierced.
22) Make my tattoos look better.
23) Complete a marathon.
24) Complete an Ironman.
25) Have a healthy pregnancy when I have kids.
26) Set a good example for my children.
27) Help my fiance live a healthier lifestyle.
28) Look amazing in a wedding dress.
29) Turn 26 weighing less than I did at 16.
30) Wear trampy halloween costumes if I feel like it.
31) Not feel like a fool walking into a running store.
32) Live to play with my grandchildren without pain or limitations.
33) Be able to buy clothes in any store I walk into, even if I don't want to.
34) Be able to take clothes off the front of the rack, instead of automatically digging to the biggest size and praying it might fit.
35) Dump the "plus sized" label forever.
36) Be the "thin one" for once in my life.
37) Keep my boobs from growing and undoing the reduction.
38) Dance like a fool and not care who's watching.
39) Go back to Carnival at some point and wear the really skimpy stuff!
40) Beat someone in a race.
41) Be able to sit on my fiance's lap with confidence.
42) Be my own "foundation garment" - no more girdles!
43) Keep up with my running aunt when I visit.
44) Stop assuming everyone's looking at me for being so fat, and know they're admiring me instead!
45) No longer be part of the so-called "obesity epidemic."
46) Avoid aggravating the health problems I already deal with - GI issues, back spasms, etc.
47) Make my dad proud.
48) Be respected for who I am and less judged for being overweight.
49) Know that I can lose weight.
50) Leave a dressing room feeling good once in a while.
51) Surprise people to know what I used to look like.
52) Know that I've gotten healthy just for me, not for an event or a short time span.
53) Be confident when getting pictures taken.
54) I feel good when I'm active.

janamonkey
04-25-2007, 06:06 PM
I will be honest:

1. I don't want to feel so uncomfortable all the time.
2. I don't want to hide from cameras anymore
3. I feel like I wasted my youth being embarassed.

mylifeswork
04-26-2007, 12:51 AM
i always think this is an interesting thread. And while I can think of a million reasons why I am losing weight, I think we all need to live our lives like we are the person we want to be. Quit waiting, go out and do the things you want to do - dance, do yoga, camp, make love with wild abandon. It's all a choice. good luck to all. xoxoxo

Reddalice
04-26-2007, 01:25 AM
I am ready to get thin because I am tired of hiding behind padding. It doesn't protect me, it weighs me down. That is exactly why I cut my hair short, I had hid behind ankle length hair- I let the bangs grow down past my eyes and hid behind it. Well i am ready to put myself out there, I am ready for challenge, and I am ready to take advantage of life- so I am.