100 lb. Club - Read any good books lately?

View Full Version : Read any good books lately?

suzie76
04-09-2007, 04:08 PM
Hi,

Anyone other readers here? (Hi, Sheila!) I'm currently reading "The Perfect Fit" by Louise Kean. It is about a British woman who has lost 90 lbs, and is adjusting to life in her smaller body. It is fiction, not a memoir/biography. I'm not that far into it yet, though.

I also checked out "Life is Hard, Food Is Easy" by Linda Spangle from my library.

I'm waiting for my library reserves for the newest Maeve Binchy, and Susan Wittig Albert, and for Susannah's Garden by Debbie Macomber.

Enjoy-
Sherry

PinkyPie
04-09-2007, 04:23 PM
I just read "If not dieting...then what?" and I really enjoyed it ~ it gave me some GREAT things to think about!

I'm also reading "10 Diet mistakes that women make" and a friend just sent me "YOU: on a diet". I may be obsessed but I'm really enjoying reading this stuff and getting things to really think about!

sept15lija
04-09-2007, 04:23 PM
I love reading. Mostly fiction.

Lately, I read "The Glass Castle"...very good read! Also, I read "March" - which is about the father from Little Women, it was really good too. I'm sorry, I can't remember the authors I am so bad for that! :)

Also I'm reading a non-fiction, "Paris 1919" which discusses the 6 months following WW1 which helped to shape where we are today in the world and all the decisions the leaders made at that time - it's very interesting, I am only a little way into it though.

No weight loss books though!! Maybe I should pick up a couple of those!! ;)

jtammy
04-09-2007, 05:35 PM
Just finished Love and Lies by Kimberla Lawson Roby over Friday. Then read Second Sight by Amanda Quick. Now reading Birthday Party Murder by Leslie Meier. I go through different phases of reading. Right now I'm on my fluff reading - nothing too heavy or time consuming - usually cozy light mysteries.

RitzyFritz
04-09-2007, 05:37 PM
Superfoods RX because of the recommendations on this site. I loved it and it has really changed my eating! Thanks to all who recommended it!!

suzie76
04-09-2007, 05:41 PM
Tammy,

I like Leslie Meier, too! I just finished her newest-I think it was called "Bake Sale Murder." If you like other light mysteries, try Joanne Fluke. The only thing is that the main character owns a bakery, so you have to read about delicious food through the book! I think there are six or seven in the series so far. Other mystery authors I like are Ellen Hart, Susan Wittig Albert, Sandra Scoppettone, Wendy Corsi Staub etc.

Sherry

royalsfan1
04-09-2007, 05:51 PM
I LOVE to read!!! I usually have 3-4 books going at once...and I NEVER leave the house without one in my purse (in case of traffic or waiting in line, et...)

The last few great ones I've read have been:

nonfiction -
"The Wal-Mart Effect" by Charles Fishman
"The Audacity of Hope" by Barack Obama
"John Adams" by David McCullough
"The Irresistible Revolution" by Shane Claiborne

fiction -
"The Kite Runner" by (too lazy to look up the author...but I highly recommend the book)
"To Dance with the White Dog" by Terry Kay

Am currently reading:

non-fiction/ "When I Lay My Isaac Down" by Carol Kent and "Get Out of that Pit" by Beth Moore

fiction/ "Behind the Scenes at the Museum" by Kate Atkinson

I know this doesn't really fit in with 100 lb weight forum but I would LOVE to share book recommendations with anyone!!!

suzie76
04-09-2007, 08:08 PM
Yay, the library called-the new Jodi Picoult called 19 minutes that I had on reserve is in! Any other fans of hers? She's from my home state of NJ, (I think..) and did a book signing a few weeks ago. I couldn't make it, though.

Tricia, I buy my purses based on whether or not they have room to fit a book! I also read something by Kate Atkinson...I can't remember the name.

Does anyone mind if we have a thread with book recommendations? Reading is my passion!

some good ones I have read recently:

-The Kindness of Strangers-Katrina Kittle
-the "Sweet Magnolias" series by Sheryl Woods-trilogy of three books about three women friends set in a small town in the south

I'll think of more later-
Sherry

Sherry

Sheila53
04-09-2007, 08:33 PM
I had a love/hate relationship with Kite Runner. I spent almost the entire book hating the main character, yet I couldn't put the book down.

I just read one by Carolyn Hart (the Death on Demand series) that was in the new section at the library. Can't remember the name, though. Also read a new one by Marcia Muller. Have you read her, Sherry?

Thanks for the great suggestions!

jtammy
04-09-2007, 09:21 PM
Hi ladies, Oh I love the Joanne Fluke series. I like all of the culinary mysteries that I have read! I also like Carolyn Hart, both the Death on Demand series and the Henrie O. series. And Suzie, I also enjoy the Stephanie Plum books that are set in NJ.

Another fun mystery series that is set in my home state is by Carolyn Haines - the Bones series. The latest one was called Bones to Pick. I've read some Susan Wittig Albert I think, isn't her character an herbalist or something like that?

Off to my libraries website to see if they have some of the titles you all have suggested.

So many books, so little time....:book2:

Christine in CA
04-09-2007, 10:39 PM
I certainly donít mind having a book thread in this forum!

I had to force myself to read The Kite Runner because I tend to like to keep things light and fun (like the Shopaholic series :) ) but I have to say once I picked it up, it was pretty hard to put down!

I know this is an older one, but I recently finished Sheís Come Undone by Wally Lamb. I still canít get over the fact that this author is a man in the beautiful way he captures the emotions of a girl/adolescent/woman. Very good book.

Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd is another great one if anyone hasnít had a chance read it.

Jennifer Weiner (Good In Bed, In Her Shoes, Little Earthquakes, Goodnight Nobody) is an author I really enjoy. Her characters are so relatable, especially to those of us struggling with weight issues.

I've been trying to take a break from self help/weight loss books for the past few years though I do have Life Is Hard Food Is Easy, which is a great book!

Iím not a huge reader, but am always disappointed by books I pick without a recommendation, so Iím glad Suzie started this thread!

Christine

NickiB68
04-09-2007, 11:15 PM
I love to read! I'll have to check the local library for some of these books. I've been in a sappy mood and have been reading Nora Roberts. I just started her new one, Angels Fall. I just love a good love story! :love:

suzie76
04-10-2007, 07:00 AM
Tammy,

I live ten minutes from the town where the Stephanie Plum books are set-and I've never read any of them! I keep meaning to start the series, though.

I also recently finished "the Tavern on Maple Street" by Sharon Owens. I love books that are set in Ireland.

Sherry

suzie76
04-10-2007, 07:00 AM
Sheila,

I haven't read Marcia Muller yet.

Sherry

NavyWifeDee
04-10-2007, 08:41 AM
This is so great! I used to work at a bookstore just so I could supply my reading habit. :D I just finished Eldest, the book that comes after Eragon. I had to read it, because hubby and I read the first one and saw the movie. I also love Harry Potter, but those two are the extent of my young adult reading, lol.

I also just finished re-reading Diana Gabaldon's Breath of Snow and Ashes. It was great.

Good in Bed and Goodnight Nobody were excellent. Kite Runner, I haven't read, although I should, because I've sold many a copy of it. I could go on all day with books that I've read, but I'll just wait and see what all of you recommend, and go grab those. Of course, reading contributes to my weight problem, lol. If I get into a good book, I don't put it down until I'm done.

sept15lija
04-10-2007, 08:45 AM
I loved Kite Runner....very powerful book.

Christine - I loved She's come Undone as well.

Another really amazing read is "Cane River" by Lalita Tademy. I read that in two days while camping, my husband was getting all mad at me because I refused to put it down!! :)

royalsfan1
04-10-2007, 08:52 AM
Cane River was great!

I also really like Barbara Kingsolver. "The Poisonwood Bible" was absolutely hilarious! I still can get a giggle when I think of it....but it isn't a comedy...just very well written with some very humorous characters.

barbygirl43
04-10-2007, 12:57 PM
I just read the Red Tent by Anita Diamant for an online book club. It was pretty interesting. I just finished The Fifth Vial b Michael Palmer over the weekend. I signed up for the mystery book guild and got a ton of books for 99¢. I too love the Joanne Fluke series. I'm next in line for her latest book at the library. I read Leslie Meier but I didn't like her as well.

I'm currently reading Flesh and Bone by Jefferson Bass.

As for a book forum. That sounds great. I found some great reading books/series from a harry potter discussion here a bit ago.

clvquilts
04-10-2007, 01:11 PM
Yesterday, I went to the local library and picked up several books on weight loss. I know, it's out of order ~ first I lost the weight and now I'm reading about how to do it. Mostly, I want to reinforce that I must continue with the healthy lifestyle in order to keep the weight off.

The book I started reading last night and would recommend is "The Business Plan for the Body" by Jim Karas. It talks about setting a 'Mission Statement' for your weight loss. Mine is "to maintain my healthy weight by continuing to eat well and exercise every day." I'm going to post it on my monitor so I see it every day.

He talks about the need to 'Go Public' with the announcement that you're going to succeed at losing weight or in our case maintaining our weight loss.
He recommends that we get a 'Management Team' to support us through our goals. That we should sit down with everyone important in our lives and explain our 'Business Plan' for losing weight/maintaining loss.

He has a chapter on 'The Competition' ~ what other fad diets are out there and why they won't work for long term success. He refers to the formula of Calories In - Calories Out = Body Weight as 'The Financials'

Now I'm on Part II Taking Action. There are three chapters in this section. One on calories and the need to keep a food diary, one on exercise, and one on setting realistic goals.

Part III is on Success. It's why I picked the book up in the first place. I want to reinforce the knowledge of how to keep the weight from returning.

missaprylj
04-10-2007, 05:24 PM
I *love* the JoAnne Fluke books too.... Key Lime Pie Murder just came out! I think my sister got a copy from her library. I'm right in the middle of Cherry Cheesecake. *heh* Love love love.

I've got Barack Obama and Sidney Poitier's books staring at me, too. (I basically only read non-fiction) but I have to say all the books I have to read for my classes right now basically run my life. :yikes:

carol2208
04-11-2007, 06:52 AM
I loved the kite runner, I read it on my flight from Brazil to Madrid (it´s an eleven hour flight) and it was great, this crazy swiss seat next to me and wouldn´t stop talking, when I got the chance to open the book and start reading, the guy still kept going, he only stopped when I started crying ... I cried almost from beginning to end of the book...

I read recently the Time traveler´s wife, great one, a bit heavy though... The Cathedral of the sea, beautiful (I read it in spanish though...), one hundred years of solitude, a classic

Also, The Memory of Running by Ron McLarty, a great read

I also love When Nietzsche Wept and The Schopenhauer Cure by Irwin D. Yalom

On a lighter note, I thought both Bridget Jones diary books where great fun, and better then the movie, specially the second one...

I love reading and could go on and on...:)

Thanks for the tips girls, I´m always looking for suggestions of new books to read !!:)

royalsfan1
04-11-2007, 07:13 AM
Oh, yes! "The Time Traveler's Wife" was great! I'm going to check into some of those other books you mentioned, Carol. Great titles always grab my attention! "When Nietsche Wept"....that's a great title!

jtammy
04-11-2007, 08:17 AM
I just read the Red Tent by Anita Diamant for an online book club. It was pretty interesting. I just finished The Fifth Vial b Michael Palmer over the weekend. I signed up for the mystery book guild and got a ton of books for 99Ę. I too love the Joanne Fluke series. I'm next in line for her latest book at the library. I read Leslie Meier but I didn't like her as well.

I'm currently reading Flesh and Bone by Jefferson Bass.

As for a book forum. That sounds great. I found some great reading books/series from a harry potter discussion here a bit ago.

I loved the Red Tent. It is one of my all time favorite books. Another cute mystery book (which will be a series) is Size 12 is Not Fat by Meg Cabot. It was a fun read. Kind of a chick lit mystery.

glynne
04-13-2007, 06:06 AM
Thank you for this thread ~ the suggestions are helpful. I used to read more ~ probably spending too much time on the computer now ~ LOL. I used to read when I went to bed ~ helped me relax and fall asleep ~ but wear glasses now ~ can't see to read without them ~ am afraid I will fall asleep with my glasses on and bend them or something.

My favorite series lately has been the Southern Sister's mysteries ~ by Anne George. Sadly she passed away and there are only 8 in the series.

I also like the "Cat who......" mysteries by Lilian Jackson Braun.

Do any of you know of more like these? I enjoy the light funny kind of mysteries.

suzie76
04-13-2007, 06:14 AM
Hi Gayle, I haven't "seen" you in ages. I'm sure I can come up with a mystery series for you, but my brain isn't on yet (it's six am!) If I think of anything lataer, I will post.

Take care,
Sherry

jtammy
04-13-2007, 06:38 AM
Gayle, I loved the Southern Sisters series - so funny. So tragic that there won't be any more of them written.

The Bones Series by Carolyn Haines that I mentioned reminds me of those somewhat in the humor and setting.

Another one - The relationship between the sisters is similar to that if the main characters in the Bed-and-breakfast mystery by Mary Daheim (I haven't read the entire series, just picked them up mid series - so I hope the entire series is like this).

Other light, funny mystery series that I can think of are the Pennsylvania Dutch series by Tamar Myers. The Ellie Haskell series by Dorothy Cannell. THe Dead End job mysteries by Elaine Viets.

Lots more but I can't remember the authors right now.... Maybe it will come to me later.

Lillibeth
04-13-2007, 08:00 AM
I also love to read - thank you for starting this thread!

I think my tastes might differ a bit from others in this group as I have some recomendations that don't fit in nicely with the themes above but here goes:

1. Any of the "Jack Reacher" series by Lee Child. I did not think I would like these books at all before I read one, but I love them now. Although they are not legal stories, if you like John Grisham books you will almost certainly like these (or at least that has been my experience).

2. The Bookseller of Kabul by Asne Seierstad - this book is a work of fiction based on truth, the journalist lived with a family in Kabul for a few months to be able to write it.

3. The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Luis Zafon. Fabulous! I read it in English but I understand the original is in Spanish, so Girl From Rio this could be perfect for you.

4. Life of Pi by Jan Martel.

5. Anything by Marian Keyes - very light "Chick Flick" kind of reading. For those of you who like Irish stories she is a good bet, her stories are always either set in Ireland or involve Irish characters living abroad.

royalsfan1
04-13-2007, 08:22 AM
Am currently reading:

non-fiction/ "When I Lay My Isaac Down" by Carol Kent and "Get Out of that Pit" by Beth Moore

fiction/ "Behind the Scenes at the Museum" by Kate Atkinson

I know this doesn't really fit in with 100 lb weight forum but I would LOVE to share book recommendations with anyone!!!

Ok, I finished the "Isaac" book and would not recommend it. It really didn't suit my tastes at all. I was looking for something particular and thought this might be it....not.

I'm almost finished with the Kate Atkinson book and LOVE it! Talk about GREAT dark humor. I highly recommend it. Can't wait to see if there is more at the library by her!

djs06
04-13-2007, 09:21 AM
Oooh dark humor? I'm on it! Amazon... *click* hehe.

I was an English major in college, and since I graduated a year ago, I think I've only read two book. Terrible, huh? I got so sick of having to read 3 books a week that I just snapped. :lol: I am still in the same mentality of dogearing a page as a "goal" that it just wasn't fun for awhile, haha

I've been reading "Paint it Black" by Janet Fitch, which is pretty good.

For school I had to read "The Power Book" by Jeanette Winterson.... if you can deal with a disjointed writing style, you'll probably love it.. I did! Umm "Fall on your Knees" is another good one... even though I don't like Oprah, her book recommendations are usually spot on, IMO.

I also highly recommend The Hours (I never saw the movie, but the book is wonderful). And if you're into short stories (I've read a lot because of the above problem, hehe) try out Lorrie Moore or Sherman Alexie (his novels are great too).

Thank you ladies for all the recommendations!

royalsfan1
04-13-2007, 10:25 AM
Oooh dark humor? I'm on it! Amazon... *click* hehe.

Seriously funny dark humor! I have laughed out loud NUMEROUS times. My kids think I'm nuts. It's a first person narrative told from the point of view of a child (starting on the day of her conception!). GREAT insight to a little kid's mind. The dark part is how horrid her family is. But so far...really great...couldn't wait to get the recommendation out there.

I have to disagree a bit on the Oprah books. I've found them a little hit and miss. Loved the books "Beloved" and "Cane River" (although I read them before she picked them) but really didn't like "The Corrections" and "Song of Solomon" at all. Those are the ones off the top of my head that stand out...but I've read others of "hers" and find that some I really like...and others...not so much.

Sheila53
04-26-2007, 02:13 PM
Just wanted to say thanks for some great reading suggestions. After reading this thread, I got The Secret Life of Bees and The Red Tent out of the library. I thoroughly enjoyed both of them. I'm now reading a Sharon Owens book that isn't the one mentioned (The Tavern on Maple Street), but I'm enjoying it, too.

So keep those titles coming, people!!

royalsfan1
04-26-2007, 02:21 PM
Read "Lick Creek" (fiction) and "Evidence of Things Unseen" (fiction) and enjoyed both. Am reading my first Agatha Christie book....not too far in so can't say how I feel about it. Also, am again reading Bruce Feiler's "Walking the Bible" (non-fiction). I loved it the first time and when PBS came out with the documentary it reminded me how interesting it was. So I picked it back up.

jtammy
04-26-2007, 02:24 PM
Tricia, I think Agatha Christie is my most favorite author - dead or alive. WHich book are you starting with?

suzie76
04-26-2007, 02:42 PM
Sheila,

Sharon Owens (author of Tavern on Maple Street) has a new book out in the United Kingdom, so hopefully it will be released here soon.

I sent you a pm a few weeks ago-did you receive it?

I'm currently reading a psychological suspense novel by Wendy Corsi Staub called "Don't Scream." Sheila, did I ever suggest her books to you? I really think you'd like them.

Take care,
Sherry

Eves
04-26-2007, 04:26 PM
I usually read about 5 books at the same time. It's what all of the years of grad school have done to me. Here are my recent recommendations:

"1491" by Charles Mann - I'm always surprised how people who LIVE in this continent know so little about the history of it. This book is like America's Greatest Historical Hits, except prior to European conquest. I highly recommend it. While you tell your kids the Thanksgiving Story, don't forget that Squanto's real name was Tisquantum and it means something close to "Wrath of God".

"This I believe" by Carlos Fuentes - Again, non fiction, but an incredible book by one of Mexico's greatest writers. He'll give an ABC of what he believes in, from Amor (love) to Zurich. It's honest, philosophical, personal, and very earnest.

"20 Love Poems and a Song of Despair" by Pablo Neruda et al. Neruda is one of the best things to come out of South America since the potato. If these poems don't touch your heart, then your heart is made out of concrete mixed 2 miles under the Antartic ice sheet.

"Skinny Dip" by Carl Hiassen. Okay, I may lose many of you with this but Hiassen is seriously funny. If you like really, really dark humor. And if you don't, you'll learn some interesting facts about Florida. Sorry, that's the best I can do. It's impossible to capture Hiassen in 3 sentences.

tndavis82
04-26-2007, 04:38 PM
The Stephanie Plum series by Janet Evanovich is very addictive. They are literally laugh out loud funny. All of her stuff is addictive. I also like to read anything by Nora Roberts.

royalsfan1
04-26-2007, 05:43 PM
Tricia, I think Agatha Christie is my most favorite author - dead or alive. WHich book are you starting with?

There were so many to pick from! The obsessive-compulsive me appeared and went for "And Then There Were None" since it was the first on the shelf. :)

I've read about half of it since I posted earlier today and I really like it! Can't wait to see where it goes.

lizziness
04-26-2007, 09:38 PM
yay. readers. I made it my goal about 3 or 4 years back to always be reading something.. and I have kept to it. There isn't a time when I am not working on a book - sometimes it takes longer than others.
I just finished the Red Tent and was blown away. Someone had loaned it to me a long time ago and I gave it back to them because the bible part of it was a turn off. But it was recommended again and I devoured it in just a couple of days. I thought it was amazing.

I mostly like fantasy, historical fiction, sci-fi. I'm reading an interesting but slow one now called "Singer from the sea" The jury is still out, I'm not entirely sure I'll keep reading it.

Am waiting on pins and needles for the next in George R.R. Martin's Fire and Ice series.

Lillibeth
04-27-2007, 09:50 AM
Tammy - do you also like PD James? I love her books like I love the Agatha Christie books. At the moment I am reading one called "The Lighthouse" which is excellent.

djs06
04-27-2007, 10:38 AM
Archy, I LOVE Pablo Neruda!

LWM
04-27-2007, 11:26 AM
This might be my favorite thread yet! I just finished "The Post-Birthday World" by Lionel Shriver and "Water for Elephants" by Sara Gruen, and would highly recommend both. I have also been on an Amy Tan jag lately, rereading most of her stuff. I borrowed her nonfiction "The Opposite of Fate" on CD from my library, and it was wonderful. In it, she discusses her writing process and how she weaves her family history into all of her stories. Plus, hearing her read it on CD was just great.

My book group is reading "The Inheritance of Loss" by Kiran Desai. I haven't started it yet...anyone out there read it?

sharonrr
04-27-2007, 11:53 AM
Superfoods RX because of the recommendations on this site. I loved it and it has really changed my eating! Thanks to all who recommended it!!

I second that. It has changed my like. Also YOU on a diet.

Sheila53
04-27-2007, 12:23 PM
The Stephanie Plum series by Janet Evanovich is very addictive. They are literally laugh out loud funny.

Have to agree with you! One of my favorite scenes was Lula on a high protein diet, carrying a bag of bacon, being followed by dogs. I just howled at that. Can't remember which number it was, but it was the most memorable scene ever, IMHO.

Gotta go to the library this weekend and check some of these out.

No, Sherry, I didn't get a PM! I'll check out the book you suggested. The author's name sounds familiar.

jtammy
04-27-2007, 01:54 PM
Oooh, books, one of my favorite subjects...

Lillibeth, I like P.D. James, although I prefer the Dalgliesh books to her female investigator (can't think of the female characters name). My favorite PD James book is Children of Men. That one was fantastic, although not her usual mystery. It came out in movie last year, but I haven't seen the movie yet. I need to catch up on her books. I'm sure she has had new ones written in the last few years that I've not read.

Tricia, And Then There Were None, aka Ten Little Indians, is a great book to begin with. We listened to it on a family driving trip a few years ago and even my children were enthralled. And you know with Agatha Christie, it's clean and you don't have to worry about the language (since it was my children that was a concern). I go through spells where I prefer Poirot books to Miss Marple books, but you have picked a good one to start with (although it doesn't feature either of her famous detectives).

Lizziness, I read the first two (I think) in the Fire and Ice series. It was a very different kind of book for me to read since I don't usually read fantasy/war type books (not really sure how to describe those...sorry). At the time, I worked in a public library, and one of our patrons raved about how good they were, so I had to try the first one, then the second. I haven't read any more than that yet, they are so long, and so many other books have been waiting for me. It's funny that even though those aren't my usual reads, they were so interesting that I still remember a fair amount of it, normally I forget it as soon as I finish it. Speaking of which, this morning, I finished a little mystery called "The Sensational Music Club Murder" and when I got to the reveal of the whodunit, I finally remembered that I had already read it. :)

This morning, I started "Damsels in Distress" by Joan Hess. She also writes the Maggody mysteries, which are very funny.

lizziness
04-27-2007, 03:12 PM
Yeah Martin's series is a long one, but it is excellent. He's signed on to make a show out of it, that should be interesting. Honestly, it's not my usual read either... but I had gone through everything on my own bookshelf and started devouring my husbands... he reads nothing but fantasy and sci-fi. Some is so very bad, but I this series is good and can appeal to both men and women (a lot of them really feel like they were made just for men).

royalsfan1
04-27-2007, 10:22 PM
This might be my favorite thread yet! I just finished "The Post-Birthday World" by Lionel Shriver and "Water for Elephants" by Sara Gruen, and would highly recommend both. I have also been on an Amy Tan jag lately, rereading most of her stuff. I borrowed her nonfiction "The Opposite of Fate" on CD from my library, and it was wonderful. In it, she discusses her writing process and how she weaves her family history into all of her stories. Plus, hearing her read it on CD was just great.

My book group is reading "The Inheritance of Loss" by Kiran Desai. I haven't started it yet...anyone out there read it?

I listened to Amy Tan read "To Save a Drowning Fish" (or something like that...). Great title, great book! Highly recommend.

rubberlegs
04-28-2007, 02:54 PM
Archy - Neruda is one of my faves. I've only read one book by Fuentes (El Espejo Enterrado), but I loved it. I definitely want to read more.

Right now I'm on The Grapes of Wrath. Eh, it's not mindblowing yet. I'm only about 8 chapters into it, though. I made the mistake of reading the timeline in the beginning of the book so I already know who dies. :)

rubberlegs
04-28-2007, 03:01 PM
Lillibeth - if you like The Bookseller of Kabul, you should try Kabul Beauty School (http://www.amazon.com/Kabul-Beauty-School-American-Behind/dp/1400065593/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/102-9090036-1533713?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1177786809&sr=8-1)

Sheila53
06-10-2007, 05:40 PM
Wanted to bump this up to see if people have some more recommendations. Anyone?

I finished Water for Elephants and The Memory of Running and am starting Cane River.

LisaMarie71
06-10-2007, 05:49 PM
Sheila, I nearly picked up Water for Elephants the other day -- it looks good. I've been wanting to get the new books by Haruki Murakami and Ian McEwan, because they're two of my absolute favorite authors, but I can't afford any hardcovers right now!

In the summer, I like to read breezy, easy chick lit sometimes. People would be surprised by that, as I'm an English teacher and I love classic literature, but sometimes you want something mindless. I'm currently reading a mindless British chick lit book by Carole Matthews, and it's fun. I'm also reading The Road by Cormac McCarthy, and it's incredibly bleak and depressing but beautifully written. I also picked up a fun book called Pretty Little Mistakes -- it's like a "choose your own adventure" book for adults. You can pick it up at any time and find a new, different ending. It's a fun little diversion.

A good book to lose yourself in, however, if you want a big juicy classic, is Steinbeck's East of Eden. And I will always recommend anything by Margaret Atwood and Haruki Murakami.

royalsfan1
06-10-2007, 06:02 PM
I'm headed on vacation and every summer I read "To Kill a Mockingbird" (yes, Lisa, I know...cliche) but it touched me the first time I ever read it and touches me still. Those southern childhood summers are SO FAMILIAR! So, I'll be taking that on the plane with me. Also, Khaled Housseni (The Kite Runner) has a new book out called "A Thousand Splendid Suns" that I'm nearly DYING to buy. I'll break down for sure in the next couple of days. I've heard it's even better than "The Kite Runner" but I can't imagine it's true!

LisaMarie71
06-10-2007, 06:45 PM
Tricia, I would never fault anyone for rereading To Kill a Mockingbird! I get to reread it every year with my 9th graders, and I'll always love it! I love introducing it to young people, too, because many of them respond quite well to it.

I want to read Hosseini's new book too, because I LOVED The Kite Runner. I think I read somewhere that they're making it into a movie, and I too read that the new one is even better!

royalsfan1
06-10-2007, 08:04 PM
Lisa - I just knew you were a sister! You are the first well-read individual I've encountered that doesn't roll their eyes a little at the "To Kill a Mockingbird" thing. But, I read other things, too! That's just a small indulgence each year. :)

I considered (very seriously) becoming an English teacher or professor. The thing that kept me from it was my fear of teenage peoples! hahaha I think of it everytime you mention your classes. I would LOVE to be responsible for coming up with reading lists for people. :D

And one last thing on Housseini. Can you believe that was his FIRST novel???? Come on. That's outrageous!!! I have told numerous people that it could easily be on my list of top 5 books EVER. When certain lines stick with you and pop into your head even a year after reading then you know it was great.

soiley
06-10-2007, 10:50 PM
Another "to kill a mockingbird" fan here. I read it at least once a year. I also love to reread Agatha Christie's books, even tho I know most of them by heart. My new love is J.A. Jance. Someone loaned me one of her books, and I just had to read both series from the beginning. I especially love the Bisbee Arizona sheriff series (her name is joanna brady), since I'm an Arizona person, and recognize all the places she talks about.

pinupdreams
06-10-2007, 11:16 PM
i have not read it yet but i cannot wait to get myself a copy.. its a book called "skinny b*tch" (i added the star so it wouldnt censore the whole word) google it.

SoulBliss
06-10-2007, 11:19 PM
^^ I hate the title :( and don't feel it represents what the authors are trying to convey at all. (Sho wants to be "skinny"? HEALTHY is where it's at!).

You probably know everything that the book has to share, but it is a lot of savvy advice about eating more whole foods, avoiding HFCS and hydrogenated oils etc. and it's good for beginners to the vegan way of eating.

Goddess Jessica
06-10-2007, 11:27 PM
www.goodreads.com

I was out on vacation and got a few emails from people asking me to join Good Reads but I really didn't have time to check it out. A friend of mine at work who is an avid reader started bugging me, "Have you signed up yet? Have you signed up yet?"

Totally addicting site for all you readers out there. You sign up and give your ratings of books. You can write reviews and "friend" people to see their taste in books. It's really a lot of fun to see who agrees with you on which books. Kinda like Netflix's friends if you've seen that.

Do I think it's the next myspace? Maybe for us old farts that still read in bed and think libraries are cool. :)

rubberlegs
06-10-2007, 11:27 PM
Well, I'm glad I stuck with The Grapes of Wrath. When they fiiiiinally all get out to California it gets interesting.

Currently reading a Johnny Depp bio. ;)

rubberlegs
06-10-2007, 11:41 PM
Goodreads sounds like a good idea...
Anyone on bookmooch.com (or paperbackswap.com or other sites of that ilk)? It's sooooo cooool because you can often find out-of-print books for free!

BookMooch is a community for exchanging used books.
BookMooch lets you give away books you no longer need in exchange for books you really want.

Give & receive: Every time you give someone a book, you earn a point and can get any book you want from anyone else at BookMooch. Once you've read a book, you can keep it forever or put it back into BookMooch for someone else, as you wish.

No cost: there is no cost to join or use this web site: your only cost is mailing your books to others.

Points for entering books: you receive a tenth-of-a-point for every book you type into our system, and one point each time you give a book away. In order to keep receiving books, you need to give away at least one book for every five you receive.

Help charities: you can also give your points to charities we work with, such as children's hospitals (so a sick kid can get a free book delivered to their bed), Library fund, African literacy, or to us to thank us for running this web site <grin>.

World wide: You can request books from other countries, in other languages. You receive 3 points when you send a book out of your country, to help compensate you for the greater mailing cost, but it only costs the moocher 2 points to get the book. John Buckman, who runs BookMooch, has lived in California, England, France and Germany, and was frustrated by the vast number of books that were printed in just one country and not available in the other countries (for example, many books are published in Britain and never made available in America).

Wishlist: you can keep a "book wish list" that will automatically arrive to you when you have the points and/or the book becomes available in our catalog.

Feedback score: each time you receive a book, you can leave feedback with the sender, just like how eBay does it. If you keep your feedback score up, people are most likely to help you out when you ask for a book.

How we pay our bills: We tap into Amazon's book database, and if you follow an Amazon link from our web site, we receive a commission from Amazon if you buy that book instead of getting it free from BookMooch.

Why "Mooch"?: dictionary.co.uk defines "mooch" as: "to obtain something without paying for it, or to borrow something without intending to return it" as in "You're old enough to get a job and stop mooching off your family." And so, the word fits this probject: BookMooch is a way to get books without paying, and without any intention of returning the book. This is the American definition of "mooch" and one of two British definitions. The other British definition is "to walk or act slowly and without much purpose" as in "Stop mooching about in your room and do something useful!" which isn't an entirely appropriate definition for this web site, but it is funny so we'll just live with it.

Why create this?: if you're passionate about books, you know how emotionally difficult it is to throw a book away, even if you will never read it again. You want to find a good home for your books, have them find someone who appreciates them. Also, you may be interested in trying a lot of books out, and keep the ones that are great. It's a great crime to have a book disappear, out of print, for none to read. BookMooch keeps books in circulation, and finds new readers for them. If you're interested in getting free books, you can donate to charities, the points you gain by giving your books away.

Who are we? BookMooch is conceived, designed, written and administered by John Buckman (pictured above). John also runs the online record label Magnatune as well as several other web sites with his wife Jan. The graphic identity of the site is by Claudy Niesen, and the illustration is by Andrice Arp.

Goddess Jessica
06-10-2007, 11:44 PM
Hee! Rubberlegs, I'm in San Diego too!

If you like paperbackswap.com, check out BookCrossings. We have a local community in SD that gets together for book swaps. Loads of fun!

http://www.bookcrossing.com/

SoulBliss
06-11-2007, 12:05 AM
I'm also in San Diego ;)

Goddess Jessica
06-11-2007, 12:50 AM
How cool! I know Yogini is in the area too. We should have a 3FC Coffee!

libchick
06-11-2007, 11:31 AM
I couldn't resist adding my two cents to this thread. I work in a public library and am going to school to become a librarian, needless to say i love reading. Lately I've been in a scifi kick and am reading the harry dresden series by jim butcher. I'm also reading body of lies by david ignatius, small changes big results by ellie kreiger, and listening to world war z by max brooks.

For the cozy mystery readers out there-I really enjoyed Meg Langslow series by Donna Andrews. Her family is hilarious.

I also just finished jemina j, (i think by jane green?) and really liked it.

Goddess Jessica
06-11-2007, 12:38 PM
I love Ellie Kreiger!

Wow. Working in a library sounds like such a cool job.

May I recommend George R.R. Martin's series A Song of Ice and Fire? Fabulous.

libchick
06-11-2007, 01:18 PM
jessica- i adore my job. I can think of any other place I would rather work. Thanks for the recommendation I'll have to check him out.
:book2:

NotTheCheat
06-11-2007, 02:37 PM
I second both the Dresden files by Jim Butcher and the Song of Fire and Ice series by George RR Martin. I currently just finished Dead Beat - Dresden files # 7. The only problem with the Song of Fire and Ice series is that he takes a really long time between books, but so far they have been worth the wait!

suzie76
06-11-2007, 02:37 PM
libchick,

I would absolutely love to work in a library, but there aren't any jobs around here-once people get into the library system they don't leave. The only MLS program is an hour away..oh, well.

The librarians all know me, which cracks me up.

Sherry

libchick
06-11-2007, 10:45 PM
sherry,

If you're interested in an MLS you might want to see if the school offers online classes. My school allows you to take all your classes online or face to face, depending on the student's needs. We have ppl from all over the US in our program.

Ann

MaNdA22
06-12-2007, 09:52 AM
I've been reading the Stephanie Plum series by Janet Evanovich and can't wait for the new book 'Lean Mean Thirteen'. Currently, I'm reading 'Lovely Bones'.

MaNdA22
06-12-2007, 10:31 AM
www.goodreads.com

I was out on vacation and got a few emails from people asking me to join Good Reads but I really didn't have time to check it out. A friend of mine at work who is an avid reader started bugging me, "Have you signed up yet? Have you signed up yet?"

Totally addicting site for all you readers out there. You sign up and give your ratings of books. You can write reviews and "friend" people to see their taste in books. It's really a lot of fun to see who agrees with you on which books. Kinda like Netflix's friends if you've seen that.

Do I think it's the next myspace? Maybe for us old farts that still read in bed and think libraries are cool. :)

OMG, I love it. I just joined. Thanks for suggesting the site.

scrappychic
06-12-2007, 11:36 AM
Wow - love these suggestions. I am also a huge fan of Janet Evanovich and happen to be #1 on the waiting list at my library for Mean Lean Thirteen! Can't wait! Jennifer Weiner is another favorite author of mine - I have read all of hers and by far, Good In Bed is my favorite. I have read the entire Shopaholic series and enjoyed them - hmmm... you can be addicted to something other than food! :dizzy: I just finished a great book called Redeeming Love by Francine Rivers. It was my first foreay into Christian Fiction, and I couldn't put it down.

suzie76
06-12-2007, 11:42 AM
Hi,

I just got new Laura Lippman (psychological suspense) and Dani Shapiro books from the library.

Jennifer Weiner and Jane Green have new books coming out later this year.

Sherry

libchick
06-12-2007, 10:37 PM
I joined goodreads.com, too, and am pressuring all my friends to join.:devil:

I've read all of Jennifer weiner's books, but good in bed is by far the her best one, IMO. I'll have to look for her new one when it comes out.
oooo...psychological suspense, sounds intriging. Have to look those up too.

djs06
06-12-2007, 10:58 PM
Suzie, I took a class with Laura Lippman a few years ago in college. She is *such* a wonderful person, and her books are excellent!

Jolly Molly
06-13-2007, 05:15 AM
I've gotta jump in too-- I love seeing what everyone is reading!

I just finished reading Unformed Landscape by Peter Stamm for a book club I'm in. It's not something I would have chosen on my own, but it was good. I suspect it might be full of lofty literary artistry, but such things are lost on me. I guess I'm something of a literary low-brow. ;)

Right now I'm reading Life of Pi.

Sheila53
06-15-2007, 02:15 PM
I really loved Cane River. I started it on Wednesday and finished it yesterday. I guess it helped that I was feeling really awful yesterday so all I did was read and sleep. A great book!

Off to the library to check out some others that people have posted here.

WinterStarzz
06-15-2007, 02:59 PM
suzie76--I love Jodi Picoult! Her books are awesome!

I am also very into the Stephanie Plum novels...they are so funny!

One of my favorites reads as of late was The Nanny Diaries, but that might be because I am a nanny.

Also, I have to admit, I can't get enough Harry Potter. :o

Jolly Molly
06-16-2007, 01:53 PM
I also read the Stephanie Plum series. Can't wait to read number 13.

I finished LIfe of Pi a couple days ago and now I'm reading The Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett. It's one of those I can't put down-- really a good story.