South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 04-05-2007, 12:47 PM   #1  
Your Cruise Director

Angry Frustrated!

Darn it! High Fructose Corn Syrup is in EVERYTHING!

I'm on phase 2 after a great phase one.

Yesterday I didnt get to the salad bar to grab the cucumbers and tomatoes I wanted for a snack before/during class. So I stopped and got a carton of milk and while checking out saw this "protien bar" Pretty low on sugar, it looked ok. Later during class I looked at it and found not only Hydrogenated palm oil (transfat) and High Fructose Cornsyrup. Finished chewing the bite I had and dumped it in the trash!

This morning with my eggs and turkey sausage I grabbed a yogurt. Looked at the sugar and they didnt look too bad. Get back to my desk and look through the ingrediants. Voila! HFCS!!! I'm so frustrated and need to get back to reading the lables more thoroughly.

Really the less proceessed it is, the better.
Old 04-05-2007, 02:21 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 161/156/140

Height: 5'10ish

It is in a lot of food! I'm sometimes amazed at how many foods have HFCS. It really really stinks!
Old 04-05-2007, 03:46 PM   #3  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

Seattlejo, you are SO right...it's frustrating to read all those labels and it really is better to eat less processed food! I actually eat organic yogurt with a dollop of SF jam and a packet of Splenda, along with a sprinkle of cinnamon (it helps you avoid Type II diabetes). Sometimes I eat packaged yogurt...like the Light Activia, or some of the light yogurts...but you really have to read the labels carefully.

The more time you spend in P2, the more you'll build an arsenal of things you can 'grab and go' that are SBD safe. In the meantime, try your hardest to plan ahead and have a 'Plan B' in your car if things don't work out. Like soy nuts, a piece of fruit, or a cheese stick you throw in your bag/purse.

You can do this...good for you on throwing away that protein bar!

For those of you who live near them...there are these great convenience stores in PA that have awesome SBD snacks like hard-boiled eggs, cottage cheese, single-pack cheesesticks, fresh fruit, etc. Just keep looking around and you'll find places you can go when you need something and didn't get a chance to plan ahead.
Old 04-05-2007, 05:45 PM   #4  
Tired of being fat

S/C/G: 278

Height: 5'3

It makes me crazy how many foods they can stick that junk in. Waiting for them to start injecting our fresh fruit with it
Old 04-05-2007, 06:32 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 174/137/135

Height: 5"5

What killed me was how they put it into bread! It took me forever to find one without it. (If you want to know, it's Milton's bread.) I do plain yogurt and then add honey. I agree with you, though, it's tremendously frustrating.
Old 04-05-2007, 07:04 PM   #6  

Height: 5'7.5"

thanks for the very helpful thread/info...i just started p2 as well,and it seems to take forever to get the grocery shopping over with..and the world wonders why we as a country are so overweight! choices
Old 04-05-2007, 07:13 PM   #7  
Jessica lynn**

S/C/G: 145/140/110

Height: 5'2"

ok so im on south beach and im in about one week and ive been doing my hiphop abs everynight....when i eat after a while...my stomach actually looks smaller..but then i eat something..even if it is SB, i swear my stomach looks bigger. my mom says that its just me obssesing me losing weight. so am i really gaining weight everytime i eat or what ??
Helpp
Old 04-06-2007, 10:23 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 155/141/138

Height: 5'7"

The HFCS phenomenon is mind boggling and something I was oblivious to just 5 months ago. I have found it in "healthy" vinegar based salad dressing, yogurt, most bread & cereal, to name a few. I have read every bread label at the grocery store - I now make it a point to avoid HFCS, even if it means choosing a bread with a natural sugar far down on the list. Tried to find a hamburger bun that would work (far better to make it at home than to give into fast food) and was actually unable to on the bread isle. DH found pumpernickel in the bakery isle and we bought those - but it just should not be that challenging!

Grocery shopping does take SOOOO much longer being on SB - but it is worth it and I am leaning a lot that I simply never paid attention to before.

And I second the comment about no wonder we are overwheight as a nation - with so much added sugar to our foods, the choices we have (too much of a good thing can be bad), and the portion sizes.

Ally
Old 04-06-2007, 02:43 PM   #9  
Your Cruise Director

Thanks for the responses guys! I swear I felt like I was crazy for tossing the energy bar and not eating the yogurt, But c'mon who needs the super concentrated sugar!
Closed Thread