Food Talk And Fabulous Finds - Logging Chicken - Silly Question from a Calorie Counter

baffled111
04-05-2007, 02:51 AM
Hi all,

This is a bit of a silly question, but I'm going to ask it anyway. I eat quite a lot of chicken. Generally, I spritz a non-stick pan with a tiny bit of cooking spray and then cook my seasoned breast that way. In my mind, this is 'grilled' chicken, because very little fat is added to the cooking process, and it isn't being stewed or roasted. However, Nutridiary (and the USDA) only give nutritional info for raw, stewed or roasted chicken. Which should I be using to calculate the calories in my lunch?

I'd like to have complete nutritional info for something I eat so frequently, but I'm a bit befuddled.

(And actually, this is a problem I seem to run into quite often...I've taken to calculating veggies sauteed in a tiny bit of cooking spray and/or stock as raw veggies, which they aren't. IMHO, these nutritional databases need to add 'sauteed in a tiny bit of cooking spray' to the options :) )

mandalinn82
04-05-2007, 05:18 AM
I call it roasted without skin. The cals are the same - roasting is the most similar (dry heat).

RememberHowToSmile
04-05-2007, 10:32 AM
I also call it roastered. As for the veggies I would use the data for raw and then if you are using cooking spray add that in.

LLV
04-05-2007, 10:54 AM
I personally weigh the chicken breasts and calculate them that way, using the "raw" option. As in what it was before it was cooked.

As for veggies and cooking spray, I simply calculate everything separately.

BlueToBlue
04-06-2007, 11:32 PM
I take the same approach as LLV. I weigh all meat and veggies raw and count the calories that way. Then I just add the calories from whatever I cook them in. I don't bother counting any calories for a spray or two of cooking spray. Cooking does change the calories a little, but not significantly.

mandalinn82
04-06-2007, 11:35 PM
Thats true, I do go on raw weight. And I don't count a little cooking spray either. A quick spray in a pan that holds 4 servings isn't significant to me.

ennay
04-07-2007, 01:58 AM
I use the raw number also.

LLV
04-07-2007, 12:16 PM
I take the same approach as LLV. I weigh all meat and veggies raw and count the calories that way. Then I just add the calories from whatever I cook them in. I don't bother counting any calories for a spray or two of cooking spray. Cooking does change the calories a little, but not significantly.

I don't bother counting cooking spray either. Seems rather pointless to me. I just count the meat (raw) and the veggies by either cups or ounces.

LindseyLouWho
04-09-2007, 11:06 PM
I also count the raw weight and go from there for most things.