Old 04-03-2007, 09:46 PM   #1  
Life's tough Get a helmet

S/C/G: 195/195/145

Height: 5'3"

Default Tips & Tricks

Okay, so I know everybody has a few tips and tricks they have used or use now to help them along their weight loss journey. Let's help each other out and share them. Here are some of mine:
  • Drink Plenty of Water
  • Drink 4 cups of tea a day
  • I've recently added more fiber to my diet (it feels me up quickly)
  • Eat a large breakfast, medium lunch and small dinner
  • Don't eat 2 hours before bed
  • When I get hungry and want to snack grab a glass of water or tea before i decide to eat
Spunkster5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 09:58 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 280/270s/120

Height: 5'1"

When you get the munchies, try giving yourself a manicure. Or apply lotion all over your hands. If you felt like eating again, you'd have to wash your hands. And who wants to go through all THAT trouble?
Dawn2Dusk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 10:05 PM   #3  
I have less blubber!

S/C/G: 207/203/160

I use water as my primary craving deterent. It's great. Just drink a big ol' glass and you'll forget you ever thought you were hungry. So I have nothing new to contribute LOL.
sockmonkey70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 11:08 PM   #4  
Lose that Baby Weight!

S/C/G: 172/154/125

Height: 5'2

First I have to get to the point where I can say no to a craving by doing something else then I will oget back to you lol.

Just kidding....

When I can I try to workout before my trouble meal which is dinner. Knowing I would spoil a perfectly good workout is usually enough to guilt me into being good. Oh and I carry a picture in my wallet of the body type I am looking to have. I make myself look at it before I order when I go out to eat...
Stephanie Osborne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 11:36 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 300/180/135

* Like everyone else I drink a ton of water.

* Plan my meals and snacks. If I plan then I'm less tempted eat junk food.

* Don't keep junk food in the house. If I have to make a speical trip to the store to get junk food I'm less likely to eat it.

* I don't take money with me to school. That way I can't run to the vending machine or gas station.

* Eat fruits and vegetables as snacks rather then junk food.
RememberHowToSmile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 01:22 AM   #6  
Token Rooster? ;)

S/C/G: 185/138/~135 to maintain

Height: 5' 6"

*sneak veggies in whenever possible -- heat up an extra cup alongside frozen meals, toss some more into soups, wilt them up and pile them onto sandwiches. Helps make meals more filling & healthy (and is better than bread for soaking up the liquids)

*water/tea/coffee (even though the latter two can be dehydrating, it's better diving into something caloric)

*meal planning whenever possible, and at least making a commitment when it's near-impossible (e.g. eating out where calorie estimation is much harder, at least mentally psyche oneself to ordering small and light or splitting entree/dessert).

*eating small, healthful snacks every 2-3 hours so you can never be too hungry and risk gorging (might not be for everyone, particularly those who enjoy bigger meals)

*planning for indulgences, slightly lower calories (or upping exercise) days leading up to whenever the planned caloric binge may be. (this, of course, doesn't work so well retroactively i.e. trying to make up after the binge, where the I.O.U.s can easily turn into giving up or a dangerous binge/starve cycle.)
AquaWarlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 08:09 AM   #7  

Oh yeah...i almost forgot my favorite...its kind of annoying but works for me. I set a reminder on my Outlook Calendar at work and I hit snooze all day long either every 30 minutes, 1 hour or 2 hours depending how my day is going and basically it reminds me to eat healthy, drink water and if i need to - take a look at my reminder pic.
Old 04-04-2007, 08:35 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 280/270s/120

Height: 5'1"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spunkster5 View Post
Oh yeah...i almost forgot my favorite...its kind of annoying but works for me. I set a reminder on my Outlook Calendar at work and I hit snooze all day long either every 30 minutes, 1 hour or 2 hours depending how my day is going and basically it reminds me to eat healthy, drink water and if i need to - take a look at my reminder pic.
I love that idea. I'm going to start doing that.

PS - You look like Liv Tyler!
Dawn2Dusk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 09:12 AM   #9  
Bikini Dreader

S/C/G: 141/120/120

Height: 5'3''

All these tips are great and I use most of them.. the only thing I can think of is that I try to refuse things that are offered to me- especially junk food. I try to automatically say no thankyou without thinking. As a compulsive eater, I figure, why not compulsively say no! It works sometimes. Usually people want the treats for themselves anyway and won't pressure you to eat it. If they do, I find it is just more of an accomplishment to keep saying no. Like its a competition and they will really admire me for my will power afterward so I should make sure I dont eat it.

Sometimes that works, sometimes it doesnt.
Bikini Dreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 09:15 AM   #10  
In Search of Collarbones

S/C/G: 171/154/125

OMG, you do look like Liv Tyler. Funny!

Okay mine is probably TMI, but whatever works right?

Honey roasted peanuts. I swear. A 1/4 cup of them and I, erm, more effectively evacuate my bowels. Between them and a cup of coffee in the morning, I am good to go. I notice when I work out too if I am not carrying any extra waste with me. Helps me step a little livlier. Okay I am giggling uncontrollably now.

Oh and I have a cup of fruit flavored herbal tea an hour or two after dinner. It is sweet and it takes away the desire for dessert- and it is good for you, so if you binge on 3 cups of tea, well you haven't really binged at all, what with racking up 45 whole calories or something.
futurepixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 09:21 AM   #11  
Bringing Sexy Back!

S/C/G: 125kg/125kg/70kg

Height: 164cm

This is one a friend suggested.

Every time you get a craving for bad food, go have sex. Clearly you'd need a willing participant, but she swears by it!
Renny Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 09:52 AM   #12  
Am I there yet?

S/C/G: 205/197/130

Height: 5'5"

These are great! I don't have much to add...

- Usually after lunch, around 1:00 or so, I get the craving for something sweet. I keep low-cal or sugar free gum in my desk so I can chew it and get that sweet taste without the calories or fat. Sometimes it takes two or three pieces, but it works!

- I don't deprive myself. Right now, there is a huge slice of chocolate cake from the Cheesecake factory in my fridge, and every night, I have two bites of it. That's my after-dinner dessert, and it is so worth it.

- When I'm home alone, I make sure I have something to do or concentrate on, otherwise, I'll want to eat out of boredom.

- I don't go to the grocery store hungry!!!
2Fat4myJeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 10:21 AM   #13  

wow! Thanks! nobody has ever told me that before but now i am going to ask everyone i know "so whaddya think? do i look like liv tyler?" hahahah

futurepixie: haha that's funny...but i know what u mean...it does help and coffee does have that effect haha
Old 04-04-2007, 10:38 AM   #14  
*meow*

Height: 5'7"

I plan my menu on Fitday and print it out. I use the little "click to remove" boxes to check off what I eat. It keeps me motivated and it's fun!

I always have a cheese stick or something in my purse so I can eat every 1-2 hours, even while out and about.

I drink a lot of water too but it doesn't "work" for me. I guess I do it so I have to get up every 15 minutes to pee and it keeps me moving!

I make charts for my progress and appoint rewards like strappy sandals and sexy tank tops!

This is a lame personal one but I associate "Heavy Jess" with my last relationship which wasn't great and "Healthy Jess" with my new loving relationship. It keeps me on track.

Oh yea, and sex often is REALLY clutch!
JLynne126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 10:54 AM   #15  
here we go again

S/C/G: 168/ticker/140

Height: 5 foot 7

I try to have weekly goals, like 3 hours of exercise a week, instead of 30 minutes a day. I used to find it too easy to skip a day, but if I skip a day now I feel accountable the whole rest of the week to try to make up the time somewhere. I have a really sedentary job so every time I get up to use the bathroom or get some water I take the stairs and go to another floor. And on my lunch breaks I go to walmart or some other store and walk around and take care of my errands at the same time. And I buy sugar free popsicles and sugar free jello cups to 'binge' on when I feel the need, since they are really low calorie. I can eat 3 or 4 and still have eaten less calories than most other snacks.
carolineintx is offline   Reply With Quote