Support Groups - Fat Calves

View Full Version : Fat Calves

Schatzi
04-02-2007, 05:04 PM
actually, the thread name was inspired by something Kiwi wrote awhile back, about boot zippers... and I nodded my head in total understanding! I have some Beautiful boots! One pair I must wear with a very long dress or under pants..as I can't zip them past my FAT CALVES. sigh......

canadian mom
04-02-2007, 06:20 PM
I can sympathize but they are getting better so I can buy a little higher boot now.

Ash15+
04-02-2007, 06:21 PM
I have fat calves too!!
It makes me so mad!

ellabella
04-02-2007, 06:38 PM
Fat calves!!!!! :lol3: Before I read the post, I thought we were age regressing or sumpin'. This ole gal hasn't been referred to as a "calf" for a looooong time!!! (Actually, never, if you want the truth).

Oh, Kiwi. You were a preppie????? Good lawd!!!! That's one sign you didn't go to UMass Amherst for sure!!!! (Oh, okay, and a sign you're younger, too.... :crazy: )

Yeppers, isn't Mechanics Hall gorgeous????? WE DID IT!!!!

mic?

Shatzi, I like the Tarot better than palm reading, but it's just cuz' they're pretty. :D

TTFN,
Ella :p

Bagzz
04-02-2007, 08:05 PM
here is a picture of my cathedral----mik is slang for catholic---irish too i think peach----today there was a guy on the radio who was talking about his book----the no ******* rule-----he was talking about working with the kind of people peach puts up with ---here is a review
http://www.hachettebookgroupusa.com/authors/81/3645/critical_praise.html

kiwi---i missed the email you sent me about dd's performance--can you resend---i want to hear her!!!!! i think i deleted it by mistake----i am stunned---------------------------------

Cowpernia
04-02-2007, 09:02 PM
Elly, if you post ONE MORE TIME about age or generation, I will appear at your door with a spray bottle of blue tempura paint.

I was looking for that book, Bagz. A coworker told me about the My Boss Is An ******* book but there is no such book. Thanks! I will go read it now.

Cowpernia
04-02-2007, 09:10 PM
Ohhhh I forgot to say that today... the 19th anniversary of the birth of the world's most perfect baby (that year), I received a birthday card from G G G G ermanyyyyyyyMy own darling Sweetie Pie sent it before she went to Denmark to have fun in the hot tub with Mr Sweetie Pie.

Schatzi
04-02-2007, 09:19 PM
ignore her Ellabella.. if not for the message, for the hideous green and font. seriously Peachela, if yer gonna rant choose a DARK color and bold font... :lol:

Cowpernia
04-02-2007, 09:22 PM
Taking sides, Shots? Fight your own battles, Sweetie, and believe I really really am tired of this age obsession talk.

Schatzi
04-02-2007, 09:23 PM
:dizzy: Ps. Tempura paint ? Oh yes, the cave people of france preferred blend.

Ohhh I know, I tread sooo close to the edge... I'll stop now

Peachie I love you to pieces! Bunny hugs and Chicken kisses :bunny2:

ellabella
04-03-2007, 06:08 AM
Mea culpa, mea culpa. My apologies. Not so much for my own sake, but I can't have Shatzi suffering for my sins. :(

I have to wonder, though, about this obsession of yours, Cowp m'dear, against any mention of age......it's not such a bad thing, you know. Some of us don't mind a bit. Really. It's just not all that sensitive a subject. BUT, if it bothers you THAT much, I will most certainly make every effort to pretend to be ageless. If, however, I forget on occasion, and if you SHOULD show up at my door armed with spray - or any other form of - paint, you will indeed be most welcome. DH will undoubtedly invite you into his studio, provide you with an easel, and tell you to throw that paint wherever you like. (His walls are lined with drop cloths for just such inspirational moments). I will be happy to have a snack waiting for when you finish up......ohhhhhh, and I'll wear a bag over my head and gloves so that my age is completely disguised.

I DO try my best to be accomodating. :D

Kiwi, I'm so sorry that you're still having so much pain. I wish I knew of something to help. All I can do is send "good vibes" and warm thoughts. (Note: "good vibes" comment NOT related to any particular generation or age).

Shatzi. A new vacuum cleaner! A true milestone! It's always refreshing to get a new one of those, you know? Especially when the old (oops!!!! :tape: ) one is done up in duct tape and trailing broken parts. (We all have 'em, and we all think about needing to replace them long before we ever do).

Off for another day filled with stimulating, fun-filled work. Not.

TTFN,
Ella :coffee:

Cowpernia
04-03-2007, 08:21 AM
Raise your hand if you have to have the last word.

Schatzi
04-03-2007, 02:21 PM
Bagzzzzz, the MIK cathedral is just beautiful! It must be such a lovely place to worship. I'm lucky to live fairly close to Duke Chapel... the same gothic architecture as yours.. The masses there are very inspiring. I get to watch them on their website. http://www.chapel.duke.edu/home/

not a complete heathen :lol: I especially like to listen to the Choral Vespers.

Wabby
04-03-2007, 04:51 PM
Re: the last word ---- DD always has to end every disagreement with "I'm just saying...." DS and I were laughing about how it's her code for "I've got to have the last word". Her BF is a patient guy......

Watch it Ella and Schatz......... she's serious about the age thing----- those old folks get kinda crabby;)

Speaking of old folks --- I've been spending waaay too much time at the old folks home w/ Gpa Jim. I asked him if he wanted to eat in the dining room and he said "I don't want to be around those old people." He's in denial. I really think most of the people there are on the young side of 94, Jimbo.......... and here's the latest news---- since he doesn't want to live in an assisted living apartment, and he can't stay by himself in the mobile home anymore, he's going to go live with his daughter in Arizona. Do I feel guilty? yes. Do I feel relieved? **** yes. Do I expect him to call in a couple months wanting to come back to Oregon? Yup. His Dr. told me he's going to pull his driver's license. I don't want to be the one to deliver that news. At 94, and with a cataract in one eye, and pretty much deaf, he shouldn't be driving, but don't tell him that.

And for the reallllyyyy big news ---- I got to see my Kaydy girl last weekend!!!!! She remembered her grandma! She's walking and jabbering away in her own baby language. So beautiful you can't believe it.

Kiwonk
04-03-2007, 05:30 PM
Oh honey, I'm sooo glad!!!!!!!! You must be on :cloud9:!!! Do you have any pictures?

ellabella
04-03-2007, 06:09 PM
I never cease to be awed by the beauty - and grandeur - of religious edifices. Truly amazing, Bagz & Shatzi. I was raised in a Congregationalist home, and their churches tend towards the very stark and plain. Even their music is very no-nonsense, and not exactly what you'd call "uplifting". As an adult, I've had occasion to visit many different churches, and none, I don't think, has ever surpassed - for music, I mean - the gospel choirs of the black Southern Baptist congregations. Many, although certainly not all - are poor, inner-city churches with rather make-shift accoutrements, but the sound of that singing raises them to unimaginable heights.

I'm so delighted for you, Wabby - how wonderful to finally see your lovely little grandaughter! I do SO hope that it's just the first of many, many visits to come! :hug: and don't you DARE feel guilty about Gpa Jim!!!! Well, okay, you will no matter what anyone says, but try to minimize that and enjoy the relief. You've got it coming, yanno?

Still studying, Shatzi? I would give you an "A"....just with the info you've passed along to me. Hope you got outside today with the furkids. I talked to my sis on the phone the other night and she says it's been in the 70's where she is. She's up in the mountains, so I'm guessing it's even a little warmer where you are? It's in the 40's here. It was in the 60's on the weekend - it was a real nice day on Sunday, in fact, and DH and I went for a walk. But, it's supposed to be rainy all week, and not too warm. I'm pretty tired of this now, and feel like it's about time spring kicked in.

Over and out,

Ella :dizzy:

Kiwonk
04-03-2007, 07:26 PM
where in **** is my post??? I posted a long and involved post with quotes and links in it and I do not appreciate it disappearing. It was witty and insightful and informative and entertaining. A work of sheer incandescent brilliance worthy of a Pullet Surprise, topping even the uncanny

Oh never mind.

ellabella
04-03-2007, 07:47 PM
Ohhhh gawwwddd!!! Please say it isn't lost in the internetian ether!!!!! I just know I would've loved it!!!! Cantchew resurrect it or sumpin'????? :tantrum:

ellabella
04-03-2007, 07:49 PM
I mean, it IS Easter, after all! :bunny:

Schatzi
04-03-2007, 09:57 PM
Wabby- so glad you had grandma time with precious little one! And real good news about Gpa Jim. Purrrfectly normal to feel a big relief! Have you given some thought as to where you are going to move?

Kiwi! your post about your lost post was witty insightful and informative itself ! :lol:

Yes Ella, I've still got my nose in the books... right now I'm studying all these crappy formulas and feel like this

Bagzz
04-04-2007, 10:35 AM
WABBY!!!!! what a great present for our own WABBIT---just in time for easter!!! i knew she would remember you---no way could any sweet baby loved as much as you love her forget------your son must have been thrilled----so now,l hope you get to see her on a regular basis and hopefully the ex dil will figure out how wonderful it is for her child to have such a loving father and grandmother----there are all kinds of children who would love to have that kind of devotion!!!!!------------as for your young father in law {my aunt was the same---she used to teach ceramics to the 'old' people down in Somerville MA when she was in her late seventies----i think she was almost a hundred when she passed on!!!!

Wabby
04-04-2007, 11:52 AM
Schatzi, I've spent many sleepless nights thinking about where I'm going to move. At least I still have about 10 months to go before it happens. I sometimes think I just want a one level home in a subdivision. Then other times I think that would drive me crazy after being used to so much space, so I think maybe a house on a 2 to 3 acre lot, with a big shop building that I could store all Rick's cars. I'm really not ready to part with all his toys yet. Maybe someday, but like DS has said, "other people look at his cars and see $$ signs, but we look at them and see his work." I did sell his Harley to a family friend, a young guy that Rick would be happy see have it. His horse I've given to another family friend that said he would pasture him out for the rest of his days. He's close enough that I could stop by and see him (Hank the horse) any time I want.

I ate 2 maple bars this morning. I can't be trusted with the donut box.

Schatzi
04-04-2007, 01:10 PM
Wabby ...sooooo glad you posted.... besides just getting an update on you , it gives me a chance to breakaway from studying. I have a Gfren who had 8 acres. She had a little firepit in the backyard, a huge vegetable garden and acres of the most beautiful flowers she had landscaped over the years.. She and Dh moved into a upscale division...complete with those restrictive convenants and on only about.5 acre.. Lots of amenities, but they were miserable there. I think you might be right about going from "green acres" to subdivision living. Where you are headed sounds like a good compromise. I watch this show on HGTV that has folks look at homes at or below their price range, and even if it doesnt "fit" totally, they show the potential, with remodeling that shows that if you buy under - you can get what you want within your budget by remodeling....sounds good in theory...we may go that way. :shrug: You are "lucky" in that its a "done deal"... the realestate market is becoming a Buyers dream..what with the "subprime" issue, bankruptcies etc. .
Grieving is a loooong process -one that never really ends no matter how many years pass...,:hug: so is parting with treasures of loved ones. When and if the time and people are right, some things will be "sold" or given away...and others will remain with you and your family always. :hug:

Okay, I've prattled on long enough...
Hi to all youse other cowsies alurkin out there!

Bagzz
04-04-2007, 02:34 PM
ohhhhhh wabs|!!!! i think the idea of a place with some gardening land and an outbuilding sounds perfect---maybe you can find a cottagy english garden type place---or get plans and have one put together just for you----a friend of mine's mom had a little house custom built for her after her husband left and it was soooooooooo sweet--not too big,but just suited for her---i remember thinking how sweet it was.whatever you decide i know you can't live without your flowers and some room for kayden to run and play!!!!----i am glad hank has found a place to hang---does he have some friends??

Schatzi
04-04-2007, 04:05 PM
is BLUBBY a word? I feel and look very blubby.

Cowpernia
04-05-2007, 09:32 AM
I will be gone for a few days. Bagz and I were talking about my former sister, Lush, who abandoned us because we were not funny enough. When I come back, I want to find funny posts here. I know it's hard but work at it.

Ponder this: if there is only chair for a visitor in a hospital room and the mom and girlfriend are both there from out-of-town, how will it work out?

Bagzz
04-05-2007, 11:38 AM
The Mother Sits On The Chair.she Trumps The Gf---the Gf Can Sit In The Windowsill.

Kiwonk
04-05-2007, 01:52 PM
True, the mother gets the only chair. However you are wrong about the gf sitting on the windowsill. The gf sits on the bed.
Cowpeachie: please let us know how the boy is, yes???? :hug:

We have just gotten nearly a foot of snow in the past 12 hours or so. And more crap to come, it's already turning to freezing rain. We have no plow and our plow guy is gone for the season. This is not fun. I'm supposed to leave tomorrow for Boston again, which I will do come **** or high water (I have 4-wheel-drive and I'm not afraid to use it), but this hip is killing me and you can't drive on vicodin. I was hoping DD'sbf's mom would come with me, but I don't think she is. I am going to be one hurtin little cowie tomorrow night. The BF offered to let me ride with him from Portland, but I will need a car to get to my hotel, so it just won't work. I refuse to stay home. I will just grit my teeth and moan a lot.

Oh H E double hockey sticks, I need to do laundry exercise the dog make some brownies for the kid and pack a bag. Oh yeah and fill an Easter basket and wrap it to take with me. I have never been away from my little darling for Easter morning before. She has always always always gotten an Easter basket. Usually hidden somewhere funny. Sometimes we all forget to look for it. Then it's even funnier.

Kiwi

Bagzz
04-05-2007, 05:21 PM
Kiwi!! We Have That Crappy Weather---be Careful And Have A Ball!!!

Kiwonk
04-05-2007, 05:23 PM
I'm going to have to work up to funny. Here are 2 worthwhile links, the first is useful and informative, the second rather adorable.
Child & Family WebGuide from my personal alma mater (http://www.alumniconnections.com/links/link.cgi?l=143576&h=51855&e=TUF-20070215162851)
Owen and McZee (http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=4754996)

Does anyone else watch "How Clean is Your House?" on BBC America (http://bbcamerica.com/content/100/index.jsp)? It is hilarious in a sort of revolting way. You will feel much better about the state of your own house if you watch it. If you want some inspiration to tackle your clutter, check out the British import How Clean is Your House? The show airs weekdays on BBC America and stars an intrepid duo of two women who tackle the dirtiest homes in all of the U.K.

A few things you'll get from watching the show:

1. You'll feel better about your own home. You won't believe the filth that some people have in their homes.
2. You'll get some great tips on how to clean and maintain your home.
3. You'll see how adding pink feathers to the end of your rubber cleaning gloves makes cleaning that much more fun!
And then there is the obligatory Easter photo, which I'm going to attach to the previous post because it goes with it better.

Kiwi

Kiwonk
04-05-2007, 06:00 PM
Nice avatar photo, you hot cowchick, you!!! :whoo:

Cherry Cow
04-05-2007, 09:22 PM
I love Bagzzie's new avatar! So pretty and sly! You really look like you're up to somethingQ!

Bagzz
04-05-2007, 10:58 PM
i dared myself to post a picture---i hate pictures of me---see how i put up my collar to hide my crepe-like neck!!! see how i tip my head forward to hide my fancy pack of chins----now i am double daring anyone else to POST a picture---i only let ds12 take my pic cause he lets me delete everyone i want to and is totally unjudgemental---he is so sweet--he never thinks i look bad---------this pic will be up for a limited viewing---i can only take so much!!!!!

Kiwonk
04-06-2007, 10:30 AM
Hmm, I suppose I could deal with that challenge. although I actually prefer to see a pic of my sweet puppy to my own blubby face (thank you, Schatzi). I'll look for something that won't scare too many people.

I'm not packed or dressed and I'm leaving in 15 minutes. :lol: Wish me luck.

Gonna see some humazing :cb: :dance: :dancer: :broc: :belly: tonight. I wouldn't be surprised to actually see something like :broc: either...

Later gators
Kiwi

Wabby
04-06-2007, 05:35 PM
Ahhhhh, Bagzie! You're adorable! I love that picture! I never allow pictures of me. Not even shadowy, out of focus ones.

Have a lovely weekend cowsies.

Kiwonk
04-07-2007, 11:08 PM
I Yam Back! Yes I Yam! Did anyone hear the thing on NPR about cooking with Peeps? I missed it, I just heard they were going to talk about it. I think it's a great idea, don't you Bagzie? Lovely yellow peeps to cover the baked yams or something. :barf: I'm sure it's delicious...

I had to drive the last 2-1/2 hours without any radio or CD; something happened to my car stereo and no sound would come out of it. I nearly went insane. Alone with my thoughts, there's a scary place! Then when I drove in the driveway and put the car in park the damn thing came back on!!!:mad: How mean is that?

The dance show was terrific, the Irish dancing very lovely, and there were some crazy acts too. Great stuff. My $70 hotel room was lovely, that is until I tried to sleep and discovered that they were going to be doing construction on the floor above mine the entire night!! Fortunately it was not too loud, although occasionally I had to wonder about the safety of my ceiling. Anyway, that's why you pay $70 for a nice suite, I can't say I'm shocked.

Had a nice visit with DD and her 2 friends that came for the weekend (courtesy of the BF, who drove them to Boston, stayed for the dance show and drove all the way up here last night :faint: ). I left at noon today and came home. Couldn't think of anything I really wanted to do on the way :shrug: so here I am.

Here's a good joke for the bored among us
(http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1642055&postcount=1)

Kiwi

Schatzi
04-08-2007, 08:01 AM
Welcome Back Kiwi! :bunny2:
Bags you beautiful broad ya! Holden up a "cuppa" cawfee invitin us for a :cofdate: I am looking into a complete wardrobe of turtle necks me self.. I'm developing a loverly turkey waddle .

"Hoppy Easter" Everbunny!

ellabella
04-08-2007, 08:03 AM
PICTURES are required now????? <GASP> Oh, Lawdie, lawdie. I am SO unphotogenic! SO, so SOOOOOOO unphotogenic! I mean, there is just no WAY that I could possibly really look as bad as pictures of me! (Bagzz, you're adorable!) But if we gotta, we gotta. <HUGE SIGH>. I'll work on it this week. I will. I'll get DH to take some shots, and if we can get one that I can live with (no promises), I'll have him upload it (or whatever you hafta do to put a picture into your e-mail). Sheeesh! Blubby just doesn't cover it. Blubby sounds pretty GOOD to me. :( (And thanks for the terminology, Schatzi!)
Glad you enjoyed Boston, Kiwi. I gotta go back there tomorrow, but working isn't quite the same. Tsk.
I've been in Fall River - or was there from Thursday night to yesterday. My elder daughter, who was diagnosed with MS a year ago (in the middle of training for the Boston Marathon) and lives in Berkeley, MA, was hospitalized because she ALSO has a mass of fibroid tumors in her uterus that they're trying to figure out what to do with. She recently developed a bad rash...a few other complications, and was hospitalized for a battery of tests. My other girls and I went down to be with her. So far, no news, but we ought to know something fairly soon.
I didn't weigh myself yesterday. Things have been so darned upside down, and I missed my weigh-in time. So, because I tend to be a creature of habit, it *feels* wrong to weigh in on a day other than Saturday, so I'm going to wait for next week. Strange thought patterns, here, I know. :shrug:

Happy Easter, y'all!!!! :easter:

Ella

Kiwonk
04-08-2007, 06:28 PM
Sorry to hear that your daughter is having health problems, ella. Hope the news is good when you hear. I can only imagine how worrying that is.

Had a nice easter dinner with the inlaws. I'm stuffed. :easter2:

I am looking for a photo I can part with...Okay, a photo I can stand to look at.

Schatzi
04-09-2007, 08:30 AM
:bday2you: HAPPY BIRFDAY DEEEEAAAR WABBBBBBY! :celebrate:

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TOO YOOOOOOOOOOOOU !::bday2:

A virtual :hb: just fer you!

ellabella
04-09-2007, 09:41 AM
It's Wabby's birthday? Oh, MY! :dizzy: Well, here are some celebratory baloons for you, m'dear. :balloons:

Have a wonderful day! Treat yourself luxuriously! My wish for you is that you have a smile on your face from the time you get up 'til you retire for the night! Enjoy, enjoy, enjoy and celebrate yet another year spent here amongst all your loved ones, friends, and well-wishing acquaintances!

I'll be thinking of you as I sit here in front of my *work* computer wondering if I have carpal tunnel syndrome.... :lol:

TTFN,

Ella:D

Kiwonk
04-09-2007, 01:22 PM
:celebrate: Happy Birthday to You

Happy Birthday to You

Happy Birthday

:bunny: Dear Wabbit :bunny2:

Happy Birthday to You! :celebrate:

Hope you get a Kayden hug for your birthday!!

Schatzi
04-09-2007, 01:50 PM
KIWieny: how are you feelin after yer long car trek to see your little bunny? I was a tad worried bout you drivin in that weather with a bum elbow,shoulder,leg hip... whatever it is :lol: but then not to have a radio!!! I must admit, I'm not a big music listener tooer... and my musical taste is questionable by most ! And...natch I make up me own words to most things. Dh is the music listener here...cept, he has gotten into hard headbanging groups like Korn, Disturbed, System of the Down, and stuff like dat dare... Makes my already damaged ears hurty. Ah, but I digress as usual...where was I :chin: oh Yeah :idea: Someone told me about Peep Jousting... Apparently you stick a toothpick in 2 peeps, place them in the micro..and zap them-- you watch them blow up and whichever Peep skewers the other wins.... Now that is something I must try!!! lets see.....hmmm....

PERNIE: Please check in and let us know how DS is :hug: we be worried :?:
Ella.... sorry sorry to hear of DDs troubles.. I hope you get positive news jiffyquick. Blubby is as Blubby does I say...and If I didnt have bones I'd be the first human jelly fish. :sumo: I say have yer assistant do dicatation and do yer typin fer ya.
Lets see...what else..... ( You do know that I am procrastinating cows dont you...)
This was the firstyear I didnt make a traditional ham fer easter.... I made Polish Spaghetti...What is it you ask??? its spagetts,baked in the oven in Tomato SOUP and American Cheese...yes, very neuvo chefboardeee... My mudder in law makes it and the first time I saw her make it I WAS AGASP!!!!! nonono , the Eyetalian in me was all a :snooty: Hmmpf Really! but it is kinda good. I myself had just a taste and then made a heapin bowl of bean salad...actually its called "carolina caviar" made with black eyed peas, green olives stuffed with them pimentos chopped up, onion, roma tomato diced, and some seasoning and vinegar/oil.... my local store makes it and dang if I cant duplicate it so...at the store the deli girl calls me her Caviar Queen...heheee.

Bagzilla: I had only that one pic of me... I'll haveta see if I can dig it up, and photoshop out the turkey gizzard and wrinkles. :s:

:s: :wave: heloooooo you cowlurkers!

Other than that I have had me big arse planted in the kitchen chair studying studying studying... and as a result my arse has spread out to sit the chair...crap! I've always had a problem finding balance...I have invested 100percent of me in these classes, and have let all else go to pot. Now maybe when Im done I shall become obsessive about my weight and exercise... alrighty must go, gotta start swifferin this Crack House...its a horror! :yikes:

Cowpernia
04-09-2007, 04:42 PM
Happiest of birthday sweet Wabbibeans.

I am in the hospital but I am not a patient. There are scores of doctors here and each has a different opinion. DS will be here days and days longer I think. He is bored. I am bored.

LCP was here for the weekend and had an adventure going home. She took Greyhound which offered a 10-hour trip to a place 2-hours away. She slept through a bus change and somehow rode a little more. But ... the exciting part was in Orlando a woman told the guard that her luggage was on the bus and she needed it. The guard said go away and the lady insisted. She was annoying. The guard, not a fan of annoying ladies, tazed her. Tazered her. (Kiwi will explain) When the woman was on the ground, he continued tazering her. He did it four times. A man stepped forth and told the guard to stop and the man was arrestsed. The rest of the rider, LCP included protested "but not too much because we didn't want to miss our bus." My little protestor!!

LCP found a link for the hospital where you can send messages to patients. Hint. Hint. If you have kids who know DS and are into this sort of thing ...

It's a really nice hospital. If only we could leave.

SugP
04-09-2007, 04:46 PM
Hej hej! as they say in Danish. We are back in one piece and I resume my boring, mundane life in the outback. Had a lovely time. Will report later.

I am missing too many details on who is sick and who is just sick and tired and will have to catch up with days and days of posts.

Happy Birthday, darling Wabby!! We looove you. :hug:

Kiwonk
04-09-2007, 05:06 PM
I'm starting my avatar photo swap with the easiest one: a picture of me as an adorable towheaded 5 year old. I'll work my way up to old and blubby later.
how are you feelin after yer long car trek to see your little bunny? I was a tad worried bout you drivin in that weather with a bum elbow,shoulder,leg hip... whatever it is :lol: but then not to have a radio!!! Thank you for your concern! The trip down was not bad at all, the first 3/4 of it was almost entirely on cruise control, which helps to keep the strain off the hip. And it was a beautiful day, roads were clear and the traffic wasn't bad. On the way back it was a little more uncomfortable; the first couple of hours were city and crowded highway driving, so the hip was a bit painful. I stopped after an hour because I was just so tired, and went Easter candy shopping and then took a nap in the car. Not sure whether it was the candy or the nap, but I felt much better after that.
oh Yeah :idea: Someone told me about Peep Jousting... Looked it up online, what a riot. (http://www.phancy.com/peeps/joust/index.html)
I made Polish Spaghetti...What is it you ask??? its spagetts,baked in the oven in Tomato SOUP and American Cheese...yes, very neuvo chefboardeee... My mudder in law makes it and the first time I saw her make it I WAS AGASP!!!!! That's a great way to put it: agasp. Sounds delightful.... I'd have thought to be really Polish Spaghetti, it would have to have sliced hotdogs in it... :s:

My kitty is all of a sudden all affectionate. She is sitting next to my keyboard, licking the heck out of my hand. I think she's going to take off a layer of skin.

Had PT today, hip is feeling much better. Nothing like a little light at the end of the tunnel to improve your mood!

Later gators
Kiwi

Kiwonk
04-09-2007, 05:26 PM
Somehow I managed to miss both Peaches and Sugar's post while posting my own. Glad(?) to hear LCP had an adventure on her way home, as if the trip itself was not ordeal enough, eh? It's kind of strange that you can't get around in Florida without a car in anything like a timely fashion. Especially when you consider that I live in the woodsbottom of the world and I can get an express bus to civilization that is faster than driving. There is a "slow" bus that visits every nook and cranny of coastal Maine on its way and still manages to get from one end to the another in less than a day. But we probably don't get to see tazering on our buses.

Sugar darling! Hope your vacation was wonderful! Here's the broad view of what you missed. Many people have very ill family members, many people have annoying little health problems of their own, Wabby had a visit with Kayden, I went to Boston twice, and we missed you! And that's all my brain can hold at one time.

k

Schatzi
04-09-2007, 05:41 PM
I dub Her Royal Kiwiness, queen of quotenss!How you do dat Kiwi (I say as I genuflect, head abowed) ..every time I try to do the quoty thingie it highlites the WHOLE post, and I am left to delete all except what I want...I have decided for me it is best to just highlight... and then do the [quote] method...

DOES NOT ADOORABULL DD LOOK LIKE YOU????? Yes!!! I love the sideway glance Kiwi, it suggests so much!

Worried Cowpern: send the link... I will send greetings to DS... I will say what a wonderful momma you are and udder things :s: .... What is it with LCP??? The gal has such exxxxciting things always happenin ..I wish to see this Tazzering on "COPS" from Orlando. or perhaps we should invest in a show called BUS TERMINAL GUARDS GO WILD!!!.as long as she is okay and continues to add joy to DSs life :hug: ......sending :goodvibes: to ds and you and lcp that the docs figger out whats wrong with Ds.

ANYWHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

SHUUUUUGGGGGIE has returned from the land of Thumbalina!!!!!!!!! Suggie :hug: how you say this "hej"? is it like a Shrub "hedge" or like HeyJah? or HeyJay or germanish, hecka(said like I'm hackin up a hairball?)
Wheres the cookies Sug? ................................

:woohoo: can ya tell I've had way tooo much caf-fiend today :hyper:
My house is swiffered,bleached, dysoned, and febreezed..
.perhaps I am on a chemical high....
must go...porkychops have been placed back in the fridgidaire... DH wishes leftover Ziti instead....must nuke....

Bagzz
04-09-2007, 08:02 PM
hej hej---my dd22 is in Denmark for months and she says is sounds like hihi!!!and they say it coming and going!!-----------WABBALICIOUS!!!!---have a happy birthday or whatever kind of birthday you like----one that includes treats of some sort would be good-----something luscious for sure!!----kiwonk---your pic is soooooooo cute--i should have used jo's!!! you should put that on facebook----i cant' stop eating easter candy--mostly lindt chocolate from switzerland i think----it's making me sick-----PEACH---where ithe link????? DD21 has your boy's facebook,can he access that???? she is in the middle of a root canal that is not going well and she also has four science exams this week--------------we lost six soldiers in afghanistan yesterday and one of them is from OUR TOWN and he is only 20 years old AND he is the |ONLY child of this local family-----i understand why nato wants to help the afghan people defeat the taliban,but i don't think these young men fully understand that they are giving up their entire lives for this----they are too young to get it-----they interviewed the mother on tv,she was crying and said 'those twenty years went by so quickly"-----------------horrible.

Kiwonk
04-09-2007, 10:15 PM
I..every time I try to do the quoty thingie it highlites the WHOLE post, You will be dismayed to learn that that is exactly what I do -- and then I delete what I don't want. And if I want more than one part of a single quote, I copy the quote and paste it and delete what I don't want. There's no shortcut. Actually what you're doing is a lot easier.
Yes!!! I love the sideway glance Kiwi, it suggests so much! You should see the whole picture--actually I'll attach it below. This photo always makes me laugh because it is such a puzzle to me: the other person in the photo is a boy who lived down the street from us and was absolutely the bane of our existence (my brother and me). He was a bully and used to come over and kick down our snowforts and stuff. I remember that I hated him. But look at that photo! Isn't that a riot?
:woohoo: can ya tell I've had way tooo much caf-fiend today :hyper: :doh: REALLY?
and he is only 20 years old AND he is the |ONLY child of this local family--Oh my god, that is heartbreaking. There ought to be a law. What kind of sickness is it that makes people kill other people?

I had the yummiest baked potato for dindin. mmmmm

Kiwi

Kiwonk
04-09-2007, 10:40 PM
LCP found a link for the hospital where you can send messages to patients. Is he going online while he's there? I could direct DD to his facebook if he is. Otherwise, send info for hospital link!

kiwi

ellabella
04-10-2007, 06:37 AM
Welcome back, Sug, the peep jousts were silly & fun, Kiwi (and I'm LOVING the picture! I think if I were to dig around some, I might come up with a tow-headed shot of my own), I didn't know that an excess of caffein could clean your house, Schatzi, (what a neat trick!) and Cowp, I KNOW how you feel with DS undiagnosed. We're waiting on test results on my DD, and it's horrible! Please know that thoughts and prayers are with you.

I had to have the front brakes done on my car yesterday and took the commuter rail into work. It was AWFUL! It took an abominably long time, culminated in a pushing and shoving match to the stairs out of that underground dungeon, and a wind-whipped walk from the station to my office. The return trip was the same in reverse. I must be spoiled or something. I absolutely abhored it. I have no idea why people suggest that it's a "relaxing" way to commute. Give me my familiar ole' traffic jams any day! The SEATS are ergonomically impossible as well! My back was squished into a very unnatural posture, and felt cruddy about 20 minutes into the hour and three-quarter trip.

Maybe I'll feel less cranky after another cuppa cawfee.

Have a T-riffic day, y'all!

Ella :coffee2:

ellabella
04-10-2007, 09:41 AM
Bagzz said "...we lost six soldiers in afghanistan yesterday and one of them is from OUR TOWN and he is only 20 years old AND he is the |ONLY child of this local family-----i understand why nato wants to help the afghan people defeat the taliban,but i don't think these young men fully understand that they are giving up their entire lives for this----they are too young to get it-----they interviewed the mother on tv,she was crying and said 'those twenty years went by so quickly"-----------------horrible."

Yes. Now that I am at work and reasonably awake and alert, I realized that I had neglected to comment on this, which I wanted to do.

I have always been and continue to be appalled and discouraged at the condition of humanity -which never seems to change - in which fighting against and killing those whom we disagree with - or simply are different from - (or because we want something they've got) is not only acceptable, but espoused as a "noble" cause. I worked some years ago with ex-GI's from the Viet Nam era who suffered from PTSD. It's heartbreaking no matter how lives are lost - in combat, or through the long-term psychological pain and suffering associated with experiencing the things that our young men and women experience in any war.

I won't wax political, because I know that I can become quite rabid on the subject, and my views are not universal, but I am angry - very angry - about what's going on in our country today, and all the young lives that are being lost to line the pockets of the upper 1%.

And yes, the mother in question is right - 20 years, even 30 years and more - pass very quickly. Life is short, but it should never be as short as it has been for so many of our troops in Afghanistan and Iraq - and in all of the other parts of the world where young people are fighting and dying. It should never be so short as it is for the civilians - fathers, mothers, young and innocent children - who are unfortunate enough to live in the pathways of war.

Arrrrrggggh. Sorry for the seriousness and all. It's a very sore subject with me.

On a brighter note, I truly enjoyed driving into work today even though traffic was an abomination. :)

Take good care, all,

Wabby
04-10-2007, 11:59 AM
Oh Bagzie, that is so sad about the 20 yr old from your town --- sometimes there seems so much heartbreak in this world ---- all those young men... old men send them off and the young men die. It never ends.

Thank you for the birthday wishes, cowsies. It was also Gpa Jim's birthday. #51 for me, #94 for him. I gave him a framed photo of me, Gpa Jim, DD, DS & DH from about 15 years ago. It made him cry. Of course he and I are pretty good sob buddies.

I didn't get to see my Kaydy on my birthday, but I did see her on Easter, all dressed in her finest. She really got into the egg hunt. As soon as she figured it out, she would squeal every time she spotted one. She had 2 other little egg hunting companions. They were all adorable. I baked a ham and DD made a huge dinner. It didn't matter, it was a really horrible day.

This is why I don't post often. Sorry, cowsies. I'd comment on everything going on w/ youz, but I've fallen behind on the news, so I'll just say 'bye and you all keep yakkin' - it cheers me.

ellabella
04-10-2007, 12:35 PM
Wabby, I'm so sorry you had a horrible day. It seems so undeserved. I wish you better ones ahead.

Ella

Kiwonk
04-10-2007, 02:11 PM
Wabby, darling, I'm so glad you got to enjoy the little one on Easter. What a wonderful age she is -- we got to see DH's nephew Caleb who's the same age as Kayden. I hadn't seen him since he started walking, and he was so adorable, so fascinated by everything, so happy. You'll be pleased to know that of all the people there, I was the one he thought was the funniest-looking, judging by the way he broke out in laughter every time I looked at him.

Okay, I admit it, I was making faces at him. :dizzy:

Ella, you will find a number of sympathetic ears here, although naturally everyone's point of view is different. I think all war is a tragic waste, but the Iraq war is much worse than that -- an optional war. I could go on of course, but suffice to say I'm angry too.

On the boring "how are you feeling?" front, my hip is better and now my elbow has flared up again. I imagine they are related somehow like a Push-Me-Pull-You.

My dog got a big box of rawhide delivered to our door yesterday. I didn't even know she had a credit card. :lol3: After giving her one of them, which she dispatched in record time, I had left the box on the floor (all the bones are in heavy plastic bags) and she started guarding the box. Growling at DH or the cats every time they came near it. Needless to say, I had to take them away. I just gave her another one a little while ago (picture sitting a toddler in front of the television :lol: ); I think this one will last a while.

We have some very interesting birds visiting our yard. I've never seen the like before: they are mostly white with some black spots on their wings and a reddish marking on their heads, about the size of a robin almost. I can't find them in my bird book and I'm puzzled! Must be global warming :s:

Kiwi

Schatzi
04-10-2007, 02:55 PM
Just have time for a quick pop in :wave:
:hug: wabby
Ella -- I think many of us share a similar point of view
Kiwi ...is this the bird of which you speak? If so its a Redbellied Woodpecker... I get them here all day long at the bird feeder.

Bagzz
04-10-2007, 07:22 PM
yes,i don't think anyone here has ever voiced support for the war----i just don't get how anyone can say we are HELPING these poor people-----so many of them have died in 'collateral damage'----isn't that a nice name.of course george b. wasn't too happy when canada chose not to go into iraq but our new prime minister would probably have sent us there----he is quite happy to have the troops in afghanistan----i am with kiwi-----all war is a tragic waste-----and when it hits home like it has here in new brunswick{ five out of six were from the base up the road from here} it is especially horrible-----Base Gagetown is right outside of fredericton kiwi. also,around here they make a big deal with it being the headline in the national newspaper and the flags are at half mast----i thought i read that george b doesn't like the fanfare----no wonder---if you saw all those young men carrying six coffins into an aircraft carrier on the news every night there would probably be more of an outcry.all those pallbearers were either crying or had tears in their eyes---SIXTY pallbearers--------------okay,i guess i am ranting but it's all anyone is talking about in these parts.

ellabella
04-10-2007, 08:15 PM
Terrible, terrible, Bagzz. I dare not allow myself to start commenting because, as I may have mentioned, I get quite rabid. Our president quite literally STOLE the presidency, and has taken this country from bad to worse - and getting even worse.

I ESPECIALLY love those no-bid contracts Halliburton has for reconstruction in Iraq. BILLIONS of dollars made off all that death and destruction!!!!!

Oops :tape:

I'd best watch out. These days, EVERYBODY's getting watched and monitored in the good ole' US of A, and getting labeled a terrorist and locked up without a trial under the freaking *Patriot Act* if they express themselves too freely. And if you have a dark complexion, you have to be EXTRA vigilant.
Scary times, folks. :yikes:

Yeah. Time to shut up, Ella.

G'night all...

Bagzz
04-10-2007, 09:38 PM
i hope we never get to the point where we can't say what's on our mind ---but you never know do you---the dixie chicks didn't fare too well for speaking out!

Kiwonk
04-11-2007, 12:28 AM
Kiwi ...is this the bird of which you speak? If so its a Redbellied Woodpecker...
Nope. We get red headed woodpeckers and, I think, piliated woodpeckers around here, but these birds I'm seeing are quite different. They are flocking, they look like finches or grosbeaks, about the size of robins. I still haven't found them in my field guide or online. I'm looking right now. Very mysterious.

Kiwonk
04-11-2007, 12:52 AM
--i thought i read that george b doesn't like the fanfare----He did at one time try to suppress the images of all the caskets arriving home. But locally in the US they are just like in NB, flags are at half-mast quite often, there is always coverage of casualties from the state.

the dixie chicks didn't fare too well for speaking out!True, but they're BACK! Hopefully that is the point, there may be consequences for speaking out, but you can't keep people quiet forever. Incredibly, you can keep them quiet long enough to get re-elected, more's the pity.

I'm getting taarrrrrrrrrrrdd

Kiwi

Schatzi
04-11-2007, 08:10 AM
I'm intrigued by these flocking mystery birds :chin: ... yesterday whilst a dug up a pic of that woodpecker, I spent about an hour on the cornell bird site...I had the windows open, and the bird feeder is about 12 feet away... I started to play the birdcalls from the site, screwin with the birds outside... I started some sort of "chat" with a Carolina Chicadee... :lol: Adorable birds but their song can get on yer nerves!

ellabella
04-11-2007, 10:05 AM
I saw what looked to be a cardinal (is that possible, I wonder) in my side hedge yesterday when I was leaving to go to work. An all-red bird, anyway, with distinctive black markings. I immediately thought cardinal, but am, of course, not a bird expert. My dad, after he retired, did a lot of birdwatching, and had hundreds of "bird" books, so I got some second-hand bird knowledge from him. Not a lot, tho.

Sorry about all the politicizing. :(

We're told to expect a huge snow storm this coming Monday. It may cause them to cancel the Boston Marathon. That sure seems strange, eh? I can't remember when that's ever had to be cancelled because of snow! I am DESPERATE, I tell you, for spring! DESPERATE. :stress:

I have developed this weird thing called cubital tunnel syndrome. NOT carpal tunnel, like *normal* people get who are on the computer all the time. Nope, nothing *normal* for ole' Ella! :dizzy: Carpal tunnel sydrome, I understand, affects the thumb, forefingers and the palm directly under. Mine - it feels like pins & needles ALL THE FREAKING TIME - affects my little finger and ring finger and up the outside of my palm. It's not numb, and it's not painful, exactly - just this 24-hour a day pins & needles thing going on. May have to go for physical therapy if I can't get it under control by just remembering NOT to ever, ever put any weight on that (left) elbow, which is more difficult than I would've thought. Seems I prop it on the window ledge (?) when I'm driving, or on the arm rest on the door, which is as hard as a rock, and not perfectly positioned for the length of my arm, apparently. I've also caught myself leaning on that elbow somehow when I AM on the computer, and when I do, I get this little electric jolt from my elbow up to my hand.

I mean, how kewl is THAT? (Not) DH expressed his concern very sincerely, and then made a little joke....I am quite well known in our little circles for doing everything differently from anyone else. My house is furnished very eclectically....and I have always rather conspicuously avoided having anything in it that might show up in somebody else's house. I have about all the *stuff* I need at this point in time - all that I can cram into our space, anyway - but for most of my adult life, I haunted antique stores, auctions, estate sales, art galleries, etc., and the results, I really have to say, are nice. I love oriental rugs, and have them everywhere - even <gulp> on the hardwood floor in the kitchen. And plants. And old stuff mixed with new stuff. And we have DH's paintings on the walls and my sculpture pieces scattered on stands here, there and everywhere (even the bathrooms....) and those are all one-of-a-kind, of course (even the C-grades; DH labels all his paintings A+, A, B+, B...well, you get the idea. The A's & B's always get sold, so, like the cobbler's kids who go without shoes, we are the artist's family who get stuck with the B- and C grade paintings. Like I said, I rather pride myself on being *different*...:eek: and so, when I told DH about the cubital whatever, whatever, He said, "Jeeze. And how far and wide did you have to search to come up with THAT???" :p

DS called on Easter and chatted for a half hour or so. Lord, how I love that boy! SO glad he's flying home for a week at the end of June to spend his birthday with the family!

No word yet on elder DD, but we spoke on the phone last night and she's in good spirits, as always. Went back to work yesterday, in fact - just worked with a few group therapy sessions and came home, but even so, I think it's really important to her not to give in to poor health, and function as normally as possible under the circumstances.

Has anyone heard from Cowp...um...Peach? I'm wondering how her DS is doing?

Have a great day, all!

Ella :D

Kiwonk
04-11-2007, 01:35 PM
I spent about an hour on the cornell bird site..... I started some sort of "chat" with a Carolina Chicadee..Cool! I spent quite a bit of time on the cornell site too. I'm still puzzled. The closest I can come is the Snow Bunting. But that and an Alaskan variation called McKay's Bunting are both lacking the red marking on the neck. I'll have to pull off a photo from the video I took (not that it's very good, but it's closer than the photo I took on my still camera).

I saw what looked to be a cardinal (is that possible, I wonder) I think so. I think they are more common further south, but I've seen a few here in Maine. My stepfather is the avid birder in our family. I asked him what he thought of my mystery bird the other night, but I think I'll send him a picture and get him "on the trail". I only have 1 bird book; he has a dozen probably.
we are the artist's family who get stuck with the B- and C grade paintings. Better that than motel art. :shrug: I have a few original paintings from a friend and one that my grandmother did, and I used to pick up local/folk art when I travelled, not that I've done much travelling. I would rather have "eclectic" than any other kind of taste. Although probably my taste would be described more as "neglectic". :lol:
Has anyone heard from Cowp...um...Peach? I'm wondering how her DS is doing?Yes, he's feeling better; they hope he will be discharged from the hospital in a couple of days at the most.

I'm starving. Later kiddies.

Kiwi

Bagzz
04-11-2007, 05:45 PM
I would rather have "eclectic" than any other kind of taste. Although probably my taste would be described more as "neglectic".
Kiwi
oh my heavens----dh and i are laughing our guts off at this comment---i can't wait to STEAL IT!!!!! you are hi larry *** kiwonkers!!!!!:dizzy: :dizzy: :dizzy:

Cowpernia
04-11-2007, 07:13 PM
I am back and so spacey I don't know what to say. I left as soon as LCP returned from her own college town. She'll be there til Sunday and he should certainly be out of the hospital before then. I hate feeling like the 3rd wheel to my son's romance. Much of my difficulty with LCP may be her youth. She just doesn't get normal but am I? Was I at 19? Nope. However, she arrived (from out-of-town) wearing her typical teeny tiny skirt and kitten heels. I asked if she had other shoes and she did not. She didn't have time to get them as she just came from work? What the **** would that mean? She's been planning this for at least a 24 hour period. When she curls up in the comfy chair in her little skirt, one has a great chance of seeing her scanty undies. So when I put her on the bus on Sunday, I told DS she needed to be covered up. I didn't say she was an exhibitionist. I pretended she would be cold. I didn't say she would probably be raped on the bus if she sticks her little bottom out in the aisle like that. I asked a nurse if I could buy a hospital blanket and she smiled a fake leave-me-alone smile and said, "Not that I know of." So I took one and felt bad about it but would have felt worse leaving her on an overnight bus ride unclothed.

See how frivilous my thoughts are? MY SON is healing nicely. His still has one tube in his chest but they're turning off the pump that sucks stuff out of his chest and letting it drain naturally. The idea is to get the lung to inflate to the top of chest cavity and I hope they managed that. I don't know. Yesterday, there was still air.

My cats are happy to see me.

I love the Kiwi comment, too. While in a motel, I watched some comic tell about his aunt catching him having sex with a girl and asking him what he'll say when St. Peter stands next to him watching his whole life replayed. "I'll say, 'Watch this .. here comes the good part.'"

Cowpernia
04-11-2007, 07:15 PM
How old is that picture of Bagz? Too cute.

Bagzz
04-11-2007, 10:20 PM
what are you talking about!!!! that was taken last month.you must mean the picture of kiwonkers!!!! now that was taken i think she tole me--two hundred years ago.

Cowpernia
04-11-2007, 10:33 PM
I think it's you in fourth grade. You starred in Alice in Wonderland. That's the teacup the Mad Hatter handed you.

What's a fair price to have somebody wash the outside of a vinyl house?

Cowpernia
04-12-2007, 10:28 AM
Ok this is crap. I am home and no one is posting. Remember when I had Thursday off and everyone posted Friday through Wednesday? Stop this. It is rude.

No one cleaned my house while I was away although the bad cat did make some changes. I have flushed/thrown out the changes.

I am sorting through my stunned brain trying to find something to say that isn't whiney or *****y or just plain depressed. How about the sweet little man (not local . retired military perhaps) who showed up and wanted to take care of my lawn for $35. I jumped at it and he did a wonderful job. Now he wants to do the overgrown back yard for $20 (which is great) and wash the house for $50. Is $50 good? I think I could do it myself but not do a good job.

ellabella
04-12-2007, 11:50 AM
Hiya Cowp - or Peach (?)

Sorry that I seem to be the only one around today. I still like YOU, tho....:dizzy:

Hope your DS is doing better, glad he'll be out of hosp. soon.

$50 - at least hereabouts - is EXTREMELY cheap for washing down your house. And, if your experience with this man is that he does good work, I would certainly jump at that. But that's just MY opinion. Maybe some of the others would know better.

You may (or may not) find this amusing. If you do, great - I hope it makes you laugh. If not, delete it and pretend I didn't send it.

http://www.glumbert.com/media/irack

Have a great day,

Ella :)

Schatzi
04-12-2007, 12:16 PM
AACK!!!!:lol3: :rofl: Good one Ellabella!
Anynews on DD? How's your cubital thingie...is that something that corporate cube dwellers get? Speaking of Cube dwelling... Do you know the favorite meat of a corporate cubist is?
Why "cube steak" a course :rofl: I made that one up!!! I doooo amuse myself!

Peachie: so glad DS is recouping... the dress of LCP sounds like she might be auditioning for the PussyCat Dolls.... seems like thats what a fair amount of the childruns are wearin these days...:shrug: I dare not share what I would see when we would get Emergency Calls to the various nefarious nightclubs back in Joisey...:yikes: no unnahweah!exposed breastasis! hopefully she will grow out of that stage of dress.

I concur with a Mooooo : 50 bucks is a bahgain! especially if mr handydandy already has shown quality workmenship.

Must goooooo...and um :chin: doooo somethin important :kickcan: :bubbles:

Wabby
04-12-2007, 12:17 PM
Peach, I'll let you in on a secret about young, scantily clad girls --- some of them are totally oblivious to the fact that they're scantily clad, and some have absolutely no clue as to the effect that has on others -- especially those of the opposite sex ---- and some are totally aware of the effect and enjoy the attention. I have a feeling that lcp is of the first persuasion..... anyway, I'd give her the benefit of the doubt.

........and I can't remember if it's supposed to be effect or affect in the previous statement......... who was an english major around here? ...... not me ....

My life continues to spiral out of control....... don't even want to go into it..... and this stuff about attracting the life you want with positive thought is b*llsh*t, Oprah ..........I certainly couldn't have thought up this life in a million years.........and so how is your day?

What's a fair price to pay for mowing of a huge lawn? Arm and a leg? Peach, send your lawn mowing man to me UPS overnight shipping. This place is a jungle.

ellabella
04-12-2007, 12:42 PM
I KNOW that I sound really biased and prolly politically incorrect - especially on THIS website - but summer, despite evidence to the contrary, IS coming to Boston, and all the young women will be prancing about on their lunch hours dressed very much as Cowp describes....and far, far worse. I really and truly thought that I'd seen it all - I mean, I DO have three nubile young daughters; okay, all well over nineteen, and dressing WAY more conservatively nowadays, but I can recall some pretty stressful mother-daughter moments ....."You are NOT leaving MY house in that get-up!!!!!!" (After which, they would leave quite properly dressed, but typically toting a backpack that undoubtedly contained the forbidden clothing... :shrug: )

ANYWAY, to get back to what I started out saying...these young girls seem to want to show as much as they possibly can without getting arrested. I've accepted that. What I really Can't figure out is the ones who are really, really overweight, and wear those little midriff or halter tops with numerous rolls of flesh exposed. And the teeny little short skirts with even MORE flesh protruding at the thighs. The little skinny ones are bad enough, but the heavier girls - in my probably twisted and unhealthy opinion (after all, it's a free country: I suppose they can show as much as they WANT to show) well, I just can't figure THEM out at all. I mean, here I am just struggling to feel comfortable in a pair of Bermuda shorts, fahgoodness' sake!

Maybe it's me. Maybe I have a distorted body image or something. Or am prudishly modest because of some forgotten childhood trauma.

I don't know.

Coffee break's over! Back on your heads!!!!

Ella :D

Schatzi
04-12-2007, 01:23 PM
I wish to know what is (no,no that's are, are your... ) (my bad Kiwi) your favorite words to use, and those you hate to hear.

I have determined that my favorite word is CRAP!
and I hate the word CLOT.

.....discuss.....

Schatzi
04-12-2007, 01:25 PM
like in blood clots, and what may I ask is Clotted Cream...yeech......

Kiwonk
04-12-2007, 01:28 PM
Now he wants to do the overgrown back yard for $20 (which is great) and wash the house for $50. Is $50 good? I think I could do it myself but not do a good job.I think that's bargain!

How old is that picture of Bagz? Too cute.I'm pretty sure that cup came from Denmark, dating it to this year! Mine really is 200 years old.

Do you know the favorite meat of a corporate cubist is?
Why "cube steak" a course :rofl: I made that one up!!! I doooo amuse myself!Wow, that's abdominable, as Dubya might say.

........and I can't remember if it's supposed to be effect or affect in the previous statement......You got it right. In effect, the right effect will affect the affect.

- but summer, despite evidence to the contrary, IS coming to Boston, and all the young women will be prancing about on their lunch hours dressed very much as Cowp describes....and far, far worse. Amazing, isn't it? Don't you want to just go up some of the truly beastly looking ones and, in your best grandmotherly tone, shake your head sadly and say "Oh my dear, that's just not flattering".

It's true that pretty young girls don't usually realize the effect they have. They're mainly dressing for each other -- if their friends wear tiny skirts et al, they do too. Frankly I don't think LCP had much of a "mother figure" growing up -- she reminds me of the cat I adopted from the Humane Society that had no idea she was a cat and took 10 years to learn how to play.

Time for PT. Tata

Kiwi

Cowpernia
04-12-2007, 02:57 PM
I know. I know. When I was young, I was walking down the street in Washington D.C. when a older woman snapped something at me. I was from the south and didn't hear what she said so I smiled and said, "Ma'am?"

"Your skirt is too short," she resnapped.

The size I wore didn't come in longer!!!! All my skirts were short because it was the fashion and I was tallish and thinnish for my region. I don't think lcp is really aiming at anything .. just not thinking it all through. Wednesday through Sunday with one pair of shoes and they're heels?

They just took the second tube out of DS so he's freeeeee as soon as they let him leave the hospital. It's a wonderful hospital and this episode happened during a short period where he insured by two policies. So there's the bright side. Most of his professors are expressing desire to help him catch up and do well. Some are not. They don't dislike him just aren't bending rules or backs to help.

LCP, by the way, is beautiful. Very. When she got her migraine, her little Asian eyes closed all the way making her more exotic in appearance. I should be glad ds has a beautiful, accomplished gf who will 100 percent aid him in getting ahead educationally as that is of highest value to her, too.

I did enjoy the i-stuff link.

Schatzi
04-12-2007, 03:40 PM
I agreeeee: LCP is Gawjus!!! and DS is Studly!! A BeeeUtiFul pair!

munch,munch,crunch, yum! (I am feasting on chicken bones... )

SugP
04-12-2007, 04:35 PM
I was actually going to suggest 50 bucks. Must have been mental telepathy between that nice little man and my largish self.

"Crap" is an excellent word. I use it all the time. That and "thingie". I hate the word "niblet". Eeeew.

Still fat, still not caught up on posts. House still a tip. Will I ever get organized?

Cowpernia
04-12-2007, 04:54 PM
I hate the word "obrtain." Also, "reprise."

The group reprised the superintendent that the schools have obtained new computers.

I have no favorite word. I will never get organized. I am still fat. Posts elude me. I am watching Scrubs instead of cleaning.

SugP
04-12-2007, 04:56 PM
Attachment is too late for Easter but anyway...

Schatzi
04-12-2007, 05:04 PM
House still a tip. Will I ever get organized

ooooWeeeOhhhh...ooooWeeeOhh :yoga:

TheGreat and Grand all Seeing Schatzarina :yoga: has consulted her 8 ball...and has concluded.............

The answer you seek is: NO! :nono: or (wait, I'ma shakin the 8 ball again and its...................a)
MAYBE! :wizard:

:yoga: I seeeeeee...childruns instead, running happily about the house... eating deeelightful things and smearing furniture ! Yes! The way it should be!!!!!!!!!

So, the answer is Sug: NO! and be grateful fer it! :hug:

I am sooooooo procrastinating..or am brain dead and can study no mo!

Schatzi
04-12-2007, 05:09 PM
ooohhhhhh, Cowpernia...gooood word :cp: clappidty clap clap!

I agree, I dont like reprise either! I feel affronted or It affronts me! (is that right? Kiwi? )

I dislike the word for puzzlebutts like me...yes, as you know I love crossword puzzles... The word is: Cruciverbist... not feelin it...

Kiwonk
04-12-2007, 05:35 PM
I love the word "tip" as in. House still a tip Niblet is gross. So is worm. Gross words that describe gross things: drab, smarmy. Ick. I love anything that Kim Woodburn says: "cheap and cheerful", "knackered".
I hate the word "obrtain." Also, "reprise."

The group reprised the superintendent that the schools have obtained new computers. I was going to say there is no such word as obrtain, but instead I will say :s: you have misused the word reprised. I think you mean apprised. Reprise is what they do on American Idol.

Cruciverbist... Wow. Never heard that one. Sounds more like someone who can't shut up about Jesus.

Not to be sacrereligious or anything. Really. Honest.

I actually corrected an in-law the other day. Not their grammar. A cousin of DH's was ranting about the middle east and made a statement regarding muslims along the lines of they should all be shot or something. That was just way too over the top for me to ignore and I told him that was unnecessary. I felt like reminding him that 2 of his brothers are part native american and it wasn't that long ago that people actually said things like "the only good Indian is a dead Indian". What really ticked me off was that nobody else said anything. I can't imagine what they all say when we're not there about DD and her majoring in middle eastern studies.

It's funny, I love most of my in-laws, but I can only take them in small doses. Yesterday we had dinner (at 4PM :rolleyes: ) at a relative's house with a bunch of DH's aunts and uncles, plus parents. Around 7 I finally decided I'd had enough and "took the dog for a walk" -- all the way to DD'sBf's house where I schmoozed with his parents and drank beer until DH came and picked me up. :lol:

SnowAndMudTown here is expecting a big storm tonight. Something like 9" of snow. Go figure.

Kiwi

Cowpernia
04-12-2007, 06:23 PM
Kiwi is supercilious. I will endeavor to obtain a reprisal. Such cheekiness can not be endured.

So all these doctors kept coming into DS's room and I could barely tell them apart. Waspy. Conservative light brown hair. Pale skin. Embroidered white lab coats. Shirts, ties, detached attitudes. DS faced days and days more of lying in bed when in strides Dr. B, a surgeon plucked right from the cover of a Hallequin romance novel. Green scrubs. Dark wavy hair stylishingly combed straight back. Brown skin. Cuban accent. There was energy in his movements and the scrubs showed off his trim, virile physique. Dr. B said, "We're going to take you off the pump and get you out of here sooner. If we don't do something, you'll be here forever." Such a decision maker. A leader. A man who thinks for himself. Yummmm.

Soon, Nurse Nanette comes into the room and tells DS, "They're going to xray you again in the morning and maybe take out one of the tubes."

"But but but," we said, "Dr. B said ...."

One of the waspy doctors had been told what Dr. B said and "had a talk" with Dr. B. that began with "No no no."

Moral: Heart throb doctors do not take the cautious approach to medicine one wishes their child may receive.

I am so sleepy. What are blank white cards? DS seemed happy to get a message about these cards while in the hospital but didn't explain to me what they are.

ellabella
04-12-2007, 06:24 PM
What really ticked me off was that nobody else said anything. I can't imagine what they all say when we're not there about DD and her majoring in middle eastern studies. Kiwi

Um...yeppers. It's that kind of acceptance of racial - and nationality-based - slurs that REALLY sticks in MY craw (although, as a word, I'm not all that fond of craw, Schatzi). Some otherwise seemingly perfectly nice people - people, I might add, whom I had previously considered to be rather intelligent and thoughtful - have dropped some of the most abominable comments without batting an eyelash. One acquaintance in particular made reference, shortly after 9/11, to the "ragheads" over in Iraq (this after Dubya declared war, much to my everlasting sorrow and disgust) and I just looked at her in astonishment and horror. :yikes:

Ah. Well. Not much you can do if they're in the family (except to go elsewhere and drink beer) but at least with acquaintances, you can stop being acquainted right quick.

I WAS gratified, I must say, to learn today that CBS FIRED Don Imus because of his calling the Rutger's women's basketball team "a bunch of nappy-headed ho's" What a sick sunumabish! At least SOME of them are getting the message that their crap (Oh, yeah!!! I LOVE the word crap!!!!) won't be tolerated.

Oh Sug, don't worry about your house! When I had my kids at home, it was always upside down. Now they're grown and gone, and I MISS my chaotic household greatly. Enjoy it while you can. "Chaotic". That's a pretty neat word, don't you think? :D

Rain in Boston with gale force winds all day long, and sleet mixed with rain as I got closer to home this evening. Now it has stopped, it looks like, but they are predicting some snow showers tonight. Nothing that adds up to much, tho, I don't think. Everybody's on pins & needles over what it's going to be doing on Marathon Monday.

No word Yet on DD's tests.

My cubital tunnel stuff isn't too bad. Nothing I can't manage to live with. And, since I've been using my trimrider, the pinched nerve in my leg seems to be a lot better. :woohoo:

Pestilence. That word creates some nasty images for me. And vermin. Vermin is REALLY nasty.

On the other hand, I LIKE "spiffy" and "toots" (I used to call one of my daughters "Toots").

Okay, off to stir din-din. Chili. DH was born and raised in Texas and says he's NEVER had chili as good as mine. Smug. Yeah. I like that word, too. Smug.
I'm making it with pretend burger meat (don't worry, all the other ingredients will "spiff" that right up) and putting it over brown rice. DH doesn't know it, but he's dieting, too. :D

TTFN,

Ella :p

Schatzi
04-12-2007, 07:03 PM
SPIFFY!!! (I like that word) :dance:
Oy! puleese, I have muuuch to say on the "IMUS" issue... unfortunately, I am taking a chance expressing it: but I am riled.
Imus's utterances was very wrong - unredeemable --and I think he should have "retired" loong ago! BUT:
I hope it brings to the forefront the "acceptable" language that is prevalent in music, and accepted in the next generation growing up. It must Stop !. Those derogatory words are WRONG ..no matter who says them, no matter how much they make , and while it may be a cultural thing that its "okay" within a race or culture, those that say it must be cognizant of the message that is being sent outside that culture ...It says to most that "its ok, and even cool"
Wrong!!! The younger folk may hear it and say :shrug: but us older folk are still around, and know the history, and what hurt and degradation those terms mean to black people -and we wonder why music that includes these words is popular? Why is it okay for one Black person to say to another the "N" word? And it recieved by most as a term of solidarity or endearment? I dont get it..
I'm waiting for Rev Sharpton to say I was duped as you were by Tawanda
I'm still waiting for senator debusse to tell me why a black man was railroaded for a crime...
I'm waiting for Rev.Jess to say he was duped by the woman accusing the Duke Lacrosse players of rape.

I'm waiting for race not to divide right from wrong.
I hope that this wakes up musical artists and film directors that if you want certain words or phrases irridicated in the future, they must be portrayed as negative and hurtful or in a historical context.:soap: over..

This whole thing just makes me upset...

Cowpernia
04-12-2007, 07:10 PM
I used to see Imus on tv at Herbie's house and I liked his show. Everybody says mean, stupid things. Well, maybe not everybody but almost everybody. I certainly have.

I relate to Kiwi's frustration. Good for you for saying something.

ellabella
04-12-2007, 07:26 PM
Ahhhhh. All I can say, Shatzi, is that rap stars who profit by using degrading terminology about women or members of their own or other races are no more representative of the very fine, well-educated, and intelligent black (and other) people I know than Don Imus is representative all white folks. I think, too, that the ones who ultimately suffer the most as a result of that rap-crap are young black children -especially girls - who learn from that so-called music to disrespect THEMSELVES.

Imus isn't much different, no. But as you said, it's wrong no matter WHO says it. Unfortunately, the rap stars aren't likely to get *fired* because they make too much money for themselves, their agents, their managers, and the networks who feature them, and THAT, I suppose, would be considered politically incorrect anyway :?: . Some people would sell their freaking grandmothers if they could make a profit off her.

Sometimes humanity is just very hard to tolerate. :(

Ella

Cowpernia
04-12-2007, 08:49 PM
My BABY IS GETTING OUT OF THE HOSPITAL TONIGHT>

I still like Imus. I don't like Howard Stearns. Why didn't they fire him?

ellabella
04-13-2007, 06:23 AM
I'm glad your DS is getting out of the hospital, Cowp. So glad that he's doing better.

You still like Imus.

Very kewl, Cowp. It's always important to be honest about yourself and your beliefs. Way to GO!

Ella

Cowpernia
04-13-2007, 06:29 AM
OK, I woke up knowing I have to say Kiwi is not supercilious. She's just a great proofreader.

Liking Imus is a non-event as far as I'm concerned. I don't love him. I just enjoyed watching his show on tv. I work in a setting where my race is in the minority and the things I hear from coworkers shock me sometimes. Imus was very very wrong to say that but he's not Satan.

Bagzz
04-13-2007, 09:12 AM
well,they had a debate on CBC radio this morning---one of the canadian journalists had been a guest on Bill O'Reilly's show and he started out by asking her "Are you a Socialist?"--she said she felt like someone in the room with a rabid dog so she tried to remain calm and cool like you would---i guess she said "yes,i am and i wash my hair and brush my teeth and wear pearl earrings"----they pretty much decided that the shock jock style hadn't reached us yet,but people are people and maybe canadians are just as bad,they just don't want anyone to know about it so they are sneaky. Imus looks like an arse to me,but then again i have never watched his show.

Cowpernia
04-13-2007, 09:29 AM
All Canadians wear pearl earrings, don't they? I watched Imus right after the attack on New York. He's in New York and I saw a lot on the show that wasn't on the news. He adored Giuliani at the time and showed a lot of firefighter stories and gave a lot of opinions and New York stories. Nothing racial or shocking came up. He talked a lot about that ranch he has for children with cancer. They get to go there free and ride horses, etc. How can you fault that? He didn't call anybody a ho and offered a lot of insight that helped me with my own worries about the attack.

I don't think I've ever watched Bill O'Reilly.

Bagzz
04-13-2007, 12:32 PM
well there you go----imus has a good side---but i think the reason they are called Shock Jocks is they LIKE to get everybody going---and it's really easy to step over the line when you are headed down that road. okay---i have a weight related announcement---- I THINK I WILL TRY TO COUNT POINTS!!!! HAHAHAHA---AND MAYBE EVEN GO FOR A WALK SOMEDAY!!!!

Kiwonk
04-13-2007, 02:03 PM
Kiwi is supercilious. I will endeavor to obtain a reprisal. Such cheekiness can not be endured.OK, I woke up knowing I have to say Kiwi is not supercilious. Oh, that's okay. I like Supercilious--mmm, yes, good one. Although I prefer Cheeky, indubitably.

Good heavens, ellabell, my mother calls people "toots" -- and I remember her father did too.

What are blank white cards? DS seemed happy to get a message about these cards while in the hospital but didn't explain to me what they are.Sounds like an inside joke to me :dunno:

DH was born and raised in Texas and says he's NEVER had chili as good as mine.I get raves for my chili too, what do you put in yours? I swiped my recipe from Consumer Reports, strangely enough. DD thinks it's the best thing ever. I'm afraid to use non-beef meat, and I can't get away with brown rice either, although DH now prefers jasmine to regular. When I've messed with the recipe or the method, it has not been received well. I did manage to make a chicken casserole with brown rice the other day. That came out really well.

Imus's utterances was very wrong - unredeemable --and I think he should have "retired" loong ago! BUT:
I hope it brings to the forefront the "acceptable" language that is prevalent in music, and accepted in the next generation growing up.
I'm pretty steamed about stupid Imus too. DH and I disagree about how bad it was -- he equates it with other media like rap saying the same thing, but I'm not sure that's relevant. It's been scooped up by people like Sharpton, who I think is an ***, as an opportunity to scream racist. But this is much more degrading to women than it is to African Americans. The fact is, he wouldn't have come up with such a tirade of hateful language if this had been a men's team, no way on earth. Yes, it was racist, but this was hate speech toward women. Same goes for rap lyrics -- frankly I don't think it's that harmful for people to call each names when they are peers. I can call my brother a redneck all day long and no one will care, will they? It's the verbal abuse of women that is the real problem here.

-especially girls - who learn from that so-called music to disrespect THEMSELVES. Exactly.

I still like Imus. I don't like Howard Stearns. Why didn't they fire him?
Must be a matter of taste -- I've never liked Imus, but I don't mind Howard Stearns, although I don't appreciate his horndog disgustingness, I still think he's funny. But there's the truth of the matter, he got slapped for his obscene language, but it was "only" sexist for the most part. If he'd said racist things, he might well have been fired too. Why is it okay to demean women?

I don't think I've ever watched Bill O'Reilly.All you're missing is a pounding headache.

Go Bagz. You must not have gotten the weather we got if you're thinking of going for a walk! Another foot of heavy wet snow last night. :tantrum:

Did I tell you that I'm going to see Peter Schickley this weekend? Anyone listen to Schickley's Mix on NPR? This is a concert of PDQ Bach and the like. Unfortunately I will be missing DD's Javanese Gamelan concert, which makes me very sad. I feel like I'm betraying my mommy instincts. DH got these tickets as a birthday surprise from our friends in Florida, and he doesn't yet know exactly what he's going to see. I didn't feel like I could tell them we had a conflict and couldn't go, after they'd gone to all that trouble. How is it possible that even good things suck sometimes?

This missive is getting rather long, eh? Later, bovinities.

Kiwi

Cowpernia
04-13-2007, 02:15 PM
They're putting up a new building at UF that I had to walk by now and then. The fence around the site has signs that state "If you are harrassed by an employee working on this site, call xxx-xxxx." So maybe it's becoming less ok to whistle at and make gestures toward women.

What I'm really wondering is if the magazines that carry Anna Nicole and Britany stories will have Imus or the basketball players on the cover. All of a sudden, Dannilynn has dropped out of the spotlight.

Was gonna get my haircut but my beautician cancelled for the second time in a row. In between her cancellations, I stood her up as I was at the hospital and didn't think about her. Is this a sign? Should I let my hair grow like Kiwi?

Bagzz
04-13-2007, 03:24 PM
Cauliflower Soup

0 POINTS
per serving

Ingredients:

6 cups water
4 cups cauliflower -- chopped
2 cups sliced carrots
1/2 cup chopped onions
2 tablespoons chopped parsley
4 chicken bouillon cube
salt -- to taste
white pepper -- to taste

Instructions:

1. In a 5-quart (or 5-L) saucepan, add all ingredients except salt and white pepper. Cover and simmer until vegetables are tender (about 20 minutes).

2. Strain off and reserve most of the liquid. Place vegetables in a food processor and puree.

3. Add pureed vegetables and reserved liquid back into the pot, add salt and white pepper, and reheat.

Yield: About 6 servings
0 POINTS per serving

Nutritional Information:
Per serving: 47 Calories; 1g Fat (11% calories from fat); 2g Protein; 9g Carbohydrate; 0mg Cholesterol; 538mg Sodium: 3 gm Fiber

:dizzy: :dizzy: :dizzy: :carrot: :carrot: :carrot: :carrot:

Wabby
04-13-2007, 03:27 PM
I'm a little late into the fray -- my thoughts on Imus is that he makes his living off making outrageous statements and he miscalculated the amount of outrageousness that is allowed. ------ and thoughts on the language in some forms of music --- problem is that kind of music is not just purchased by the african american community, it's purchased by middle to upper class community that may think it's permission to use that kind of language. Racism and misogynistic crap is disgusting no matter what the context. I don't like Howard Sterns. I didn't like or dislike Imus, but I always thought he was a little boring. I like the word outrageous. Also prefer pandemonium to chaos. I'm amazed at what the media thinks is newsworthy. I like the word newsworthy. I like the stuffed pepper that my DD made for dinner last night that I'm eating for lunch today. I feel like a stuffed pepper. I think Cowper should let her hair grow like Kiwi's, but not like mine. We have no snow -- it's springtime here. It's been a long time since anyone has made any catcalls or obscene gestures in my direction. I work with construction type guys and they wouldn't dare make gestures or catcalls at women, but they do enjoy looking. Especially girls in scanty outfits, even if they have a few fat rolls.

Bagzz
04-13-2007, 03:28 PM
Okay Bats--i Just Ate That Soup And Its Divine---hardly Any Fat Or Calories----someone Post Their Famous Chile Recipe---dh Likes It But I Don't--i Need To Feed Him Regardless---i Don't Want To Waste My Low Cal Soup On Non-believers

ellabella
04-13-2007, 03:30 PM
[QUOTE=Kiwonk;1651674]Oh, that's okay. I like Supercilious--mmm, yes, good one. Although I prefer Cheeky, indubitably.
"Cheeky" is one of the all-time great words. Indubitably and irrevokably. Also undoubtedly and inarguably.

Good heavens, ellabell, my mother calls people "toots" -- and I remember her father did too.
Maybe your mother and I are contemporaries. I don't mind. She sounds like my kind of people. ;)

I get raves for my chili too, what do you put in yours? I swiped my recipe from Consumer Reports, strangely enough. DD thinks it's the best thing ever. I'm afraid to use non-beef meat, and I can't get away with brown rice either, although DH now prefers jasmine to regular. When I've messed with the recipe or the method, it has not been received well. I did manage to make a chicken casserole with brown rice the other day. That came out really well.

I'll send the recipe along over the weekend when I have a little more time. It's now 3:14, and I'm busy getting ready to leave at 4:00. (I engage in a lot of mental preparation.)

I'm pretty steamed about stupid Imus too. DH and I disagree about how bad it was -- he equates it with other media like rap saying the same thing, but I'm not sure that's relevant. It's been scooped up by people like Sharpton, who I think is an ***, as an opportunity to scream racist. But this is much more degrading to women than it is to African Americans. The fact is, he wouldn't have come up with such a tirade of hateful language if this had been a men's team, no way on earth. Yes, it was racist, but this was hate speech toward women. Same goes for rap lyrics -- frankly I don't think it's that harmful for people to call each names when they are peers. I can call my brother a redneck all day long and no one will care, will they? It's the verbal abuse of women that is the real problem here.

You've got my vote.

Must be a matter of taste -- I've never liked Imus, but I don't mind Howard Stearns, although I don't appreciate his horndog disgustingness, I still think he's funny. But there's the truth of the matter, he got slapped for his obscene language, but it was "only" sexist for the most part. If he'd said racist things, he might well have been fired too. Why is it okay to demean women?
Women have been demeaned for eons. Ever since they smashed up all those goddess statues and created a male-dominated, patriarchal society. At one time, as I'm sure you know, when a woman married, all her property reverted to her husband. She couldn't own anything. We couldn't vote. We still struggle with glass ceilings in the workplace, with men earning more money for the same job, and being promoted when they've accomplished far less than we have. It's CULTURAL. It's ingrained, and THAT'S why organizations like N.O.W. are looked down on and poked fun at by freaking idiots like Imus. That's why they can do it. And, mostly they can do it because not enough of us stand up and speak up, and they can do it because some of us women are brainwashed into thinking it's okay.

All you're missing is a pounding headache.

I second that.

Go Bagz. You must not have gotten the weather we got if you're thinking of going for a walk! Another foot of heavy wet snow last night. :tantrum:

If THIS isn't a sign of global warming, then what is it? I can't BELIEVE the weather we've been having!!!

Did I tell you that I'm going to see Peter Schickley this weekend? Anyone listen to Schickley's Mix on NPR? This is a concert of PDQ Bach and the like. Unfortunately I will be missing DD's Javanese Gamelan concert, which makes me very sad. I feel like I'm betraying my mommy instincts. DH got these tickets as a birthday surprise from our friends in Florida, and he doesn't yet know exactly what he's going to see. I didn't feel like I could tell them we had a conflict and couldn't go, after they'd gone to all that trouble. How is it possible that even good things suck sometimes?
And sometimes bad things are really good. (Old oriental philosophy) :dizzy:
Enjoy Peter. Um, no. Haven't caught him. You embarrass me with your love -and knowledge of - classical music. I'm a jazz maven myself. Sometimes. Sometimes, I pull out an old Doors album and just listen...Ohhhhh. The memories.

Back to my preparations for going home. I think three minutes have passed.

TTFN,

Ella :wave:

ellabella
04-13-2007, 03:41 PM
I like the word outrageous. Also prefer pandemonium to chaos.

I think I do, too. I wish I'd thought of it!!! :D

We have no snow -- it's springtime here.

Unfair, unfair!!!!! :(

It's been a long time since anyone has made any catcalls or obscene gestures in my direction. I work with construction type guys and they wouldn't dare make gestures or catcalls at women, but they do enjoy looking. Especially girls in scanty outfits, even if they have a few fat rolls.

Yanno what really cracks me up???? I've had guys pull up next to me at a light and apparently think (my hair is usually long) that I'm some young chippie, and they give their horn a little "beepbeep", and I look over, and their jaws drop down into their laps. :yikes:

Can't help it, it just makes me laugh hysterically. They're probably afraid I'll mention it to their mother at our next elder citizen's meeting or something.

Hah!

Ella

Schatzi
04-13-2007, 04:33 PM
My Chili recipe is : Go to Wendys.

I feel crappy today.. All my joints are achy. My mom would call them "growing pains", but I think unless I am growing horizontally :fr: that my growing spurt is over.

I love soups !!! I would have it every day.... I think I will give the cauliflower one a go. Tonight I am making "Red Soup" ( a very creative name I know) Its tomato soup, with Beef bouillon cubes, stew meat..and no yolk noodles.

Glad DS is getting out of the hospital. You must be relieved.

Spring is Sprung here too Wabby. the windows are all open, a cool breeze is wafting through and the birds are chirpin.

Kiwonk
04-13-2007, 04:36 PM
Also, for your amusement, go to http://maps.google.com/ and try getting directions from New York, NY to London. Read through the directions.

Cowpernia
04-13-2007, 04:47 PM
Thanks! I loved the directions and the ... travel time ... is helpful also.

Not crazy about monkeys. They are shameless.

Kiwonk
04-13-2007, 04:59 PM
Cauliflower Soup
Are you sure I'm going to like it? I'm a skeptic when it comes to cauliflower. I sort of like it and then again I sort of don't.

I will post my chili recipe, and we can have a cookoff!

Ummmm... :chin: .... :mag:as soon as I find it. :book2: I might have to go get it and :comp:.

Also prefer pandemonium to chaos.Me too, let's have some pandemonium!!! I always picture pot lids and wooden spoons in a parade when I think of that word... :carrot:

Maybe your mother and I are contemporaries.Somehow I don't think so: my mother mostly likely has never heard of the Doors, or if she has, would find them "noise". Too bad, they are the most luscious of all doomed rock bands.

Yanno what really cracks me up???? I've had guys pull up next to me at a light and apparently think (my hair is usually long) that I'm some young chippie, and they give their horn a little "beepbeep", and I look over, and their jaws drop down into their laps. :yikes: Used to happen to me quite often when I drove a Saab (an SUV doesn't work the same way). The long hair is such a knee-jerk reaction getter. Must be why I don't cut it. :s:

I'm having no luck embedding photos into my messages. The link I posted in my last post should have been the photo itself. I think I can make attachments show up in the text though. Must try that.

Kiwi

Cowpernia
04-13-2007, 05:22 PM
When my long hair makes me look like the Witch of Blackberry Pond, will you take responsibility? I know it's not your fault but still .....

DS is taking an I in physics. I am so worried about all these scholarships. I don't know if this means physics lab as well but he has to have 12 hours and a C. Will count an I against him? I feel like I know nothing at all about anything.

I do know how to make chili. They sell seasoning packets with directions.

Kiwonk
04-13-2007, 05:32 PM
Thanks! I loved the directions and the ... travel time ... is helpful also.I think it's kind of goofy that you should drive to Boston to get started on your 4 week swim. And then you have to go France. Sounds like the beginning of a limerick.

Hey Schatzi, I told my in-laws about your Polish Spaghetti and one of them said they'd had that and it was good. I can't remember how it came up, some other recipe that sounded unlikely. Oh yeah, DH's aunt was raving about her soup she made from a Boiled Dinner -- chopped up the ham, and pureed everything else, added tomato sauce and spaghetti. Go figure.

I've been cleaning out my closet. Mainly because I made the mistake of setting up and using a sweater holder and it turned out not only to be a big pain to use, but also to obscure the entire opening to my half of the closet (which, by the way, sucks out loud). So I took it out and now I'm trying to weed out the 99% of the stuff in there that doesn't fit me. Some of it was rawther dusty. Good thing dd isn't home for a few weeks, because I dumped a pile of clothes on her bed. Actually 2 piles -- each about 3 feet high. I worked on it for an hour, and then I had to quit. Sneezy and achy. I'm 2/7 of the Dwarves.

Kiwi

ellabella
04-13-2007, 06:40 PM
I do know how to make chili. They sell seasoning packets with directions.

Cowp, like it or not, you may well be a girl after my own heart!!!! :lol:

Here is my world-famous short-cut chili recipe, which has passed the "Texan test" AND is low-cal, high fiber (he doesn't know that):

1 26-oz jar of Smart Balance traditional red pasta sauce
1 14.5 oz. can of Contadina petite cut diced tomatoes
2 large cans (well drained) (And I don't know HOW large, because I
don't have any in the cabinet right now, but LARGE) red kidney beans
1 large onion chopped coarsely
1 large green pepper chopped coarsely
1 large red pepper chopped coarsely
1 2.25 oz. can of sliced black olives (completely optional)
2 packets of Old El Paso Chili seasoning mix
2 Lbs of very lean round steak sliced in thin strips (@ 1/8th of an inch by
four or five inches
OR (and this is what I love) 2 packages (3 bags in each package, so 6 bags)
of Boca meatless ground burger

If using MEAT (Oh, lawdie!) brown the strips in a large frying pan. In the meantime, in a good-sized covered pot, put in the pasta sauce, the diced tomatoes, the chopped peppers and onions and the two packets of chili seasoning and bring to a good simmer and then turn it down to low heat. Stir occasionally.
When the meat is all browned, drain it well (this works with lean hamburger, too) and throw that into the sauce pot. If you're using the Boca burger stuff, just throw that in right at the beginning...no need to brown anything.
Now cover it, and let it cook on low heat. If you use the round steak, let it cook on low for a couple of hours to get the meat nice and tender. If you use hamburger or Boca burger, just let it cook until your onions and peppers are tender. About fifteen minutes before you want to serve it, add the two cans of kidney beans, and if you want them, the sliced black olives. Serve over brown rice.

Oh, I drain the diced tomatoes before adding them to the sauce...I don't like my chili watery.

It's quick, it's easy, and (We think) it's pretty danged good. :D

Now I'm going to go make us some pork chops. :ink:

TTFN,

Ella

Cowpernia
04-13-2007, 07:03 PM
I am reading online stories and have happened on a sentence beginning, "Funnily enough, he ....."

Dang I'm bored.

Who slices the meat for that recipe. Sounds yummy but involves work.

Kiwonk
04-13-2007, 07:29 PM
When my long hair makes me look like the Witch of Blackberry Pond, will you take responsibility? I know it's not your fault but still .....

DS is taking an I in physics. I am so worried about all these scholarships. I don't know if this means physics lab as well but he has to have 12 hours and a C. Will count an I against him? I feel like I know nothing at all about anything.I hope you don't mean me -- I am voting against the long hair. The real reason I have long hair is that I'm afraid of the hair salon. I have reasons:
When I was 11 and everyone had cool chin-length cuts and I wanted one too, the beautician my mother took me to kept "evening" up my hair until I had a pixie cut. The day before Halloween.
When I had just graduated from college and thought I ought to get a more grownup haircut, I went to a hotsy totsy salon where I got nothing special and was charged 3 arms and a leg
Every time I have gone for a cut or a trim or anything since I've lived here in Fashionville, the hairdresser has given me poodle bangs or giant big hair or something so hideous and embarrassing that I need to go home and wash it out
and my personal favorite: the Korean woman who insisted on French braiding my hair against my will (she did not speak English) and kept answering the phone across the room while holding onto my hair :eek:

What were you saying? :^:

Oh yeah, don't worry about that Incomplete; that shouldn't affect his scholarship as long as he has the 12 hours. They might have a policy about finishing Incompletes at his school, but even if there is some question about the scholarship, a nice desperate letter about his illness from his ma ought to take care of that ;)

I went snowshoeing! It is ridiculous how much snow there is out there in the middle of April. It is an accumulation from these past 2 storms, plus the more solid drifts from the big storm in early March. I took ski poles (without bails) with me so I could go over the "hills" (drifts) easier and I found they sunk down 15-18" most everywhere and in some places about 3 feet! Nuts!

DH made me a salad. I should go eat it.

Kiwi

Kiwonk
04-13-2007, 07:42 PM
Funnily enough, I have a writer friend who sometimes uses that phrase. I don't like it, although other than that I think he's brilliant.

Here are some sites to keep you busy for a while:
Stupid Crap I Bought Last Week (http://www.disgruntledhousewife.com/shopper/archive.shtml)
"Confetti Virgin" (http://mrbellersneighborhood.com/story.php?storyid=2009)

Remember the Hoosier Times Dumpster Diver? I used to send you things from it? It is defunct, more's the pity.

Kiwi

Cowpernia
04-13-2007, 08:10 PM
I remember the Dumpster Dive. Sad now that I know it's gone. While I'm waiting for these to load I have a question. Shots will know but just in case she won't tell me, anyone else's valid answer will be appreciated.

The place I work 5 days a week closes in summer and employees get unemployment. Theoretically I work one day a week at supermarket although I have not been scheduled for two weeks. This means I can't depend on them. Also, I hate standing on feet and making feet hurt. So ... if I want to apply for unemployment, too, what should I do with this job? I think I should quit it before summer but how much before? Do you see what I mean? I asked this on yahoo questions and got the answer that I should be honest and quit trying to cheat the government. Did not strike me funnily.

ellabella
04-13-2007, 09:13 PM
I just washed my hair and it has to air dry. Then I have to take my bath. Stone...oops...I mean DH....has gone ahead to bed. Tomorrow morning, we're heading out at 8:30 to go up to New Hampshire to pick up an antique iron headboard and footboard for the bed in our second spare bedroom. I found it online. <sigh> It's gawjuss. I know. I know. We don't NEED no more danged stuff 'round here. Ahhhh. Some things you really DO need, even if you don't. After we pick that up, we're going to have lunch somewhere and THEN we're driving down to Fitchburg MA to an auction house where my daughter bought a really amazing table & four chairs. The chair backs are made of BRAIDED wood. The table has a glass top and a braided wooden base. She wants it for her patio. We have to pick it up for her. THEN we're coming home to drop off the headboard & footboard, feed the khats, change our clothes, and THEN we're driving BACK up to New Hampshire (only further west this time - closer to the Vermont line) to have supper with friends.

Then we shall come home and collapse. This is NOT our typical weekend routine. Although we do occasionally get together with friends on a Saturday evening, go to a play or just hang out at one or the other's house...and often have the kids for dinner on Sunday, we are otherwise very stay-at-home-ish folks. DH always is working on a painting or writing an article or something, and I am frequently reading, sometimes writing, sometimes playing about with my clay. So, while I really want that bed, and DD really wants the chairs & table, I wish we could have had them fedexed or sumpin'.

Well, I slice up the meat, Cowp. It doesn't take long. Sometimes I really enjoy cooking. Sometimes not. Usually, I find easy ways to make things using frozen this n' that and/or some canned stuff and packaged seasoning mixes. I can't get too fancy most nights, as my commute is too long, and we'd be eating at midnight if I tried to do anything complicated.

Kiwi, where do you find those interesting websites? I never seem to find anything like those.

Those directions to London were a hoot. They should've added the instruction that you'd better buy yourself ten or twelve bathing suits, since all that exposure to salt water will just rot those babies right out. Kinda cute the way they just popped that "swim across the Atlantic" (or however it was they said it) just like it was a perfectly legitimate part of the directions. I tried Berlin, and it required the same swim, only going ashore in Spain.

Hey, Wabbie, Bagzz, Sug and Shatzi (who'd I miss?) hope you're all doing well and that your weekends are nice and relaxing - or filled with excitement, whichever you prefer.

Nighty night,

Cowpernia
04-13-2007, 10:06 PM
But why won't it direct us to Tokyo?

I just watched Kathy Griffin. Is she a shock jockette?

I love Sugar's yellow house.

Kiwonk
04-13-2007, 11:30 PM
The chair backs are made of BRAIDED wood. The table has a glass top and a braided wooden base.Cool! Do you have pictures?
Kiwi, where do you find those interesting websites? I never seem to find anything like those.I have been on the internet for a really long time. I was on the internet when the World Wide Web didn't really have graphics. I was on the internet when if you wanted a picture of, say, Saturn, you emailed the government and asked them to send you one. Or you used a very complicated Telnet connection to get one.
I have email on my computer dated 1992. I have graphics dated 1988 on this puppy -- want to see them? There's one below. So anyway, to answer your question, I don't remember! :lol:
But why won't it direct us to Tokyo?Humor only works in an easterly direction?

Kiwi

ellabella
04-14-2007, 07:07 AM
[QUOTE=Kiwonk;1652385]Cool! Do you have pictures?

I'll have to get DH to take some once she gets it in place. She's a woman on a misson, now. I think all this dithering around with a little snow here and a little sleet there and no legitimate spring to speak of has frustrated her greatly, and all she can think about is what she wants to do ON THE OUTSIDE of her house. She's been out flagstone shopping with HER DH, and driving him half crazy over getting just the *right* look for this little "grotto of peace and relaxation" she's wanting to create out back. AND, this is all very interesting, because THIS PARTICULAR DD (I have three, remember) is typically the LEAST interested in her home or how it looks. She's the high-powered career gal who (probably in rebellion against her amateur interior-designer mother) exists on take-out food and lives in chaos (hmmm...pandemonium?) between visits from her cleaning person. I do not have a cleaning person and never have had a cleaning person despite working all my life with the exception of about a year off with each child. Just goes to show how things can change from one generation to the next, eh? :dizzy:

I have been on the internet for a really long time. I was on the internet when the World Wide Web didn't really have graphics. I was on the internet when if you wanted a picture of, say, Saturn, you emailed the government and asked them to send you one. Or you used a very complicated Telnet connection to get one.
I have email on my computer dated 1992. I have graphics dated 1988 on this puppy -- want to see them? There's one below. So anyway, to answer your question, I don't remember! :lol:
Hmmmmm. And I thought I was one of the original users. I remember having a computer with a very small screen in this big, boxy monitor. I think it was an Apple, maybe? I guess I mostly used it as a glorified typewriter - was so thrilled to be able to just *delete* typos or whole sentences if I didn't like them, you know? And, I seem to have just taken all the improvements for granted. Fahgoodness' sake, I get annoyed now if I have to wait a few seconds for a website to download, and I can remember - if I choose to think about it (it's such a painful thought) - when we used a dial-up connection, and it could take actual MINUTES to get a website up, not to mention sometimes having to keep trying and trying to get online in the first place.

Humor only works in an easterly direction?

Actually, I think that's been documented at MIT. ;)

Well, the sun is out, which bodes well for all the stuff we've got to do today. I guess you've noticed that I'm still having trouble with this "quote insertion" stuff.

Have a good one, all..

Cowpernia
04-14-2007, 09:14 AM
I have to share an idea I had that turned out good. While I in Gainesville, a friend volunteered to come over and feed the cats. She changed the cat box for the one that uses it and scooped out the bathtub for the one that uses that. (Normally, he goes outside.) I do not live conveniently close to her. She owns her own business, a book store, and that involves a lot of note taking. So I went to Office Plus or whatever it's called, bought a LOT of decorative note pads of different sizes. Some were on sale but I was looking for them. I filled a gallon ziplock with them and it was a fun and useful gift!! Maybe I'll be featured on Rachel Ray showing you all how to do this.

I'm sending some of the note pads to lcp and there are a few left for me.

Kiwonk
04-14-2007, 02:02 PM
I filled a gallon ziplock with them and it was a fun and useful gift!! Maybe I'll be featured on Rachel Ray showing you all how to do this.Awesome! You could win the Nobel Prize for that! You'll probably get all famous and forget us! We will gaze at your photo on the cover of Time and remember how we knew you when :love: . Ah, that Cowpernia, we always knew she had it in her.

I do not have a cleaning person and never have had a cleaning person.... Just goes to show how things can change from one generation to the next, eh?Interesting. My mother used to have a cleaning person back when she was teaching school and we were growing up. I've never had one and it shows.
Hmmmmm. And I thought I was one of the original users.......- was so thrilled to be able to just *delete* typos or whole sentences if I didn't like them, you know? And, I seem to have just taken all the improvements for granted. Indeed, I remember feeling very excited about word processing--typing without fixing mistakes--:woohoo: It also seemed to me that there were sooooo many things you could do with computers, and I was impatient that they hadn't been worked out yet. When I look back, I realize a career in computer programming would have been perfect for me, but at the time that didn't even seem possible. I took programming in college, so my first computer use was back in the mid 70s, when the CPU had to have a room of its own that you didn't go into, and our state of the art computer lab had evil genius overseers that you had to apply to for the priviledge of getting your "output" printed out (on wide green striped paper).

Sadly, here in Frozen Tootsies, we are still on dialup because we live too far from the something-or-other to get DSL (only 3 miles) and cable doesn't reach us either. And we're too cheap for satellite. So we wait and wait.

I guess you've noticed that I'm still having trouble with this "quote insertion" stuff.Yeah, you're doing it the hard way!

My DD called this morning before I got up and talked to DH. Apparently she has been throwing up due to cramps?? :?: Anyone hear of that before? I can't get hold her again until tonight probably as she went to a wedding with her in-laws-OOPS-bf's family. She sounded good when I talked to her around dinnertime yesterday. She was in the sound booth at the auditorium waiting to start recording a student recital. I'd miss what she said and ask her to repeat it and she'd say MOM I can't talk any louder than that in here! So she was perfectly fine then... :lol:

Must go wipe the mud off the dog. :rolleyes: I am so sick of this mess and it is likely to last for weeks longer. Snow is melting, but not very fast.

Kiwi

Cowpernia
04-14-2007, 02:10 PM
My DD called this morning before I got up and talked to DH. Apparently she has been throwing up due to cramps?? :?: Anyone hear of that before?

Kiwi
Honestly, kids are just different animals than we were at that age. I've never heard of migraines giving one double vision for hours and hours (or at all) but I guess it happens. Now, 2007, it does. I never threw up from cramps but evolution is certainly possible.

Spekaing of which, I get this Baptist newspaper in the mail just because a church sends it and they have an article attacking Jimmy Carter because "he is at it again" meaning ... he is holding fast to his belief that you don't have to be Southern Baptist to walk on streets of gold in the afterlife. I just like Jimmy Carter so much, even more than Imus, that it gripes me.

Kiwonk
04-14-2007, 02:14 PM
You like Jimmy Carter better than Imus? What a coincidence, I like him better than Howard Stern!!!

I think anyone who criticizes Jimmy Carter will go to ****.

Kiwi

Kiwonk
04-14-2007, 06:14 PM
I see there's a new forum on here for us old ladies :lol: -- what a riot that "goodyearblimp" is: just recently switched to diet pepsi and to my amazement, the bloatedness went away, either that or I had a baby in my sleep.I decided that I would weigh myself nude...took me 10 minutes to get all my clothes off :rofl:

I have finally typed up my chili recipe and attached it below. Since there is no oil in the recipe, I don't bother to drain the grease off the ground beef, but you could I suppose.

At the moment I'm making my favorite pot roast, with veggies that you puree up at the end for gravy. It is yummy. And not too horribly bad for you, as long as don't eat half the roast at one sitting.....

I'm experimenting with photos, will share in a little bit.

Kiwi

Leenie
04-14-2007, 08:12 PM
Just have time for a quick pop in :wave:
:hug: wabby
Ella -- I think many of us share a similar point of view
Kiwi ...is this the bird of which you speak? If so its a Redbellied Woodpecker... I get them here all day long at the bird feeder.

Shouldn't you be studying? tisk tisk :p

Sorry girls, just had to pop in and bust some bawls ;)

Cowpernia
04-15-2007, 09:43 AM
Hi Leenie. We used to have a Lee but she broke our hearts and dumped us.

Here's an article that (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18046837/site/newsweek/)I find interesting about plagiarism on national tv.

Kiwonk
04-15-2007, 12:07 PM
Hi Leenie, so glad you stopped by to whip Schatzi into shape; she's an awful rabble rouser... :D

Okay, so here's a couple of really bad pictures of my mystery birds. These seem to be the best I can get. These were captured off my video camera; I couldn't get anything with my still camera. Unfortunately the birds left after 2 days, or I'd still be trying. I'm thinking snow bunting, but they don't have the reddish stripe down the neck.

Kiwi the Puzzled

Kiwonk
04-15-2007, 12:18 PM
Here's an article that (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18046837/site/newsweek/)I find interesting about plagiarism on national tv.Sheesh. How professional.Couric: "... but many tech-savvy kids never experience the joy of using the library's shelves as a place to discover new worlds."

Moving On: "But many tech-savvy kids never experience the library as a place for serendipitous discovery."She must not have been able to pronounce serendipitous...

I wonder if that was just sloppiness on the part of Couric and/or staff, or whether her staff is trying to publicly embarrass her?

We are going to DH's surprise concert this afternoon. Right now he's emptying the d/w. I wonder if there's any connection?

Here are a couple of pics from the Irish Dance Collective number at last week's performance.
Kiwi

Cowpernia
04-15-2007, 03:16 PM
I am feeling so depressed. Maybe I should join the weight loss and depression thread. Sigh.

Trying to critique a second short story. The first was pretty good. This one has the main character chatting up an "old woman" in a store. The "old woman" knows something about the history of the main character's house. Her "grandfather" told her stories and he actually experienced one of the stories. The historic story from the old woman's grandfather took place in 1974. Sigh.

Why doesn't Sugar post anymore much? Doesn't she know how uplifting she is for me? Why don't all cows post more? I will excuse Kiwi so she can go to the surprise concert but no one else has an excuse that I'm aware of. I love Wabby's posts because she's so reasonable.

I will tell you now .. since no one is listening anyway .. what happened to DS. He had a hole in his lung. The condition, pneumo thorax, occurs when a blep, tiniest part of lung, bursts and lets air into the chest. The air builds there, pushed the lung away from the chest wall and collpases it. It's happened to him before so they were pretty determined to do surgical things to make it not happen again. A big one could kill him, of course. The surgical things were severe and very very painful and required narcotic painkillers that made him sleep and dry heave for days. Was awful. Then lcp, little cutie pie, sat next to him with her head on his bed for most of those days except a few when she had to go to class. Some of the nights, I slept in his room on a hammock thing with metal bars under it that prevent you from sleeping on tummy but other nights I spent in motels and am not suffering from brokeness. This is why I'm depressed, I think.

Back to the critique. Sigh.

SugP
04-15-2007, 05:17 PM
Me? Uplifting? That's a good one. I've been kind of depressed too. I miss the yellow house. Now I'm back here thinking about all the stuff that needs to be done. And as soon as I do it, there'll be more stuff to do. Meh. I'm make an effort to pose more often, I promise. :hug:

Leenie
04-15-2007, 07:31 PM
I am feeling so depressed. Maybe I should join the weight loss and depression thread. Sigh.

I'm the mod at the Depression forum so if there's anything I can say/do to help, let me know. I'm sorry to hear about your DS...thats enuf to weigh anyone down emotionally :hug: He is/will get better, right?

Thanks so much for the warm welcome, and I really do mean that. I don't mean to barge in, I was just thinking what a cool thread this was and well, I couldn't help myself in saying hello.

Have a good night all ;)

Cowpernia
04-15-2007, 08:04 PM
baagggggxzzzz, who is that beautiful baby?

That Leenie is sweet. She may steal my Mary Sunshine title.

I note that by requesting that Sugar post, Sugar posted. This makes me feel powerful. I now request that George Clooney stop by.

What does Shots moderate?

Bagzz
04-15-2007, 10:38 PM
THANKS PEACH---THAT IS MY DD22-----my goodness i am so sorry that ds had to go through all that----what do you mean A BIG ONE??? surely that cannot happen!!!did they fix it for good??? and reassure you ????man,no wonder you are depressed--i know i would be a nut case---hello leeeeenie---i see you have posted ten thousand times---holy COW!!!

ellabella
04-15-2007, 11:47 PM
Dear Cowp,

My GOD, woman! Depression seems like a rather well-controlled reaction to what you've been through with your DS. I'm quite sure that in your place, I would at this point be hunkered down in the back of a closet somewhere rocking back and forth and sucking my thumb. It DOES sound like what you're saying is that this recent surgery was to correct the problem, yes? I really, really hope so. That's an awful lot of worry to live with. Hopefully, you'll soon be able to take a deep breath again, and he'll mend well. But the truth of the matter is that no matter how old they get, we worry - if not one thing, something else. :shrug:

My DS drove out to the west coast a few years ago in the &^%$#@#$%&&^%%$#@# sports car that my DH (my DS's stepfather) bought him for graduation. My youngest DD, who is closest in age to my DS, called me at work and told me to "sit down" because she had some *scary* news. Seems DS had been rear-ended by a ten-wheeler when he was stopped at a stop sign getting off the interstate in Denver. I was like a madwoman :fr: ...what a terrible, terrible, powerless feeling....for about fifteen minutes, until DS called to tell me he was alright. The car wasn't even badly damaged. Through some strange quirk of engineering, the truck's bumper fit right between DS's tail light and bumper. Made a dent between them without even breaking anything. He sent me a picture that he took with his phone. It was amazing. He was able to continue driving it, and got it repaired in L.A.

He calls every couple of weeks, and I swear, as soon as I hear his voice on the phone, I am at once delighted and concerned at the same time: is everything okay? Is HE okay? Once I'm reassured of that each time, we can actually settle in for a bit of a chat. :^:

Outside of worries about our children, I swear everyone I know, practically, is feeling depressed. I figured it was because of this rotten spring we're having, but of course, everybody doesn't live in the northeast, and so far as I know, FL and NC, and a lot of places (L.A. naturally) are nice and warm (I don't know about Germany, Sug????) so I don't know What's up with all of us. :?:

OH, ONE thing I'm feeling a little depressed about is that I didn't weigh myself for two weeks, and then when I weighed in finally this morning, I had only lost three pounds!!!! Come ON!!!! :tantrum: I have been eating SO carefully! And exercising! And doing exactly what I'm supposed to do! Grrrrrrrr!!!! Now I feel like just eating anything I can find to stuff down...this is just sooooo discouraging!!!! (I ate a few extra calories, but stuck with high fiber, low calorie stuff. Just ate way MORE of it than usual. Blah!) I'll jump right back on the wagon tomorrow. Tsk. Gawd how I HATE this!!!!! :mad:

Jimmy Carter is a lovely man. How anybody could say anything derogatory about him is beyond me. Ridiculous.

Imus, on the other hand, couldn't redeem himself if he single-handedly eradicated poverty, ended homelessness and did away with hunger all over the world. The man is a maggot.

It's sooooo late!!! I NEVER stay up this late! But, I've had an unusually busy weekend, don't have to work tomorrow because even if Massachusetts is, generally speaking, a putrid state to live in, we at least have a holiday on Patriot's Day - and I'm up, unwinding.

Hi leenie!

G'nite all,

Ella :tired:

Kiwonk
04-16-2007, 03:21 AM
Dear Cowpernia,

My dear, what a sexy name that is, is it Latvian? My Aunt Rosemary tells me all the sexiest names come from Latvia. How are you, you gorgeous thing you? If I may be so bold, I would like to distract you from your son's retreating illness and from your many scholarly endeavors, just to tell you how much I admire your wisdom and beauty. I rarely get a chance to peek in here and be enlightened and entertained by all of you beautiful and accomplished women, but when I heard you ask me to come by, I simply couldn't pass up the chance. You flatter me by thinking of me amongst all the many men you could have called upon and I thank you for the invitation. Please, if you should happen to be in Los Angeles, do not fail to call me and we will paint the town red!

Your Admirer,
George Clooney

Cowpernia
04-16-2007, 06:09 AM
Jeez. A maggot. That wasn't supposed to cheer me up now was it?

Not to worry. George and Sugar and on the job.

Cowpernia
04-16-2007, 08:48 AM
Bagz, is that the baby picture that won her the scholarship? This girl is SO BEAUTIFUL that if she were a celebrity, she'd be called "The Most Beautiful Woman in the World."

I know I've told this before but it sticks with me as an example of motherhood. When I visited Bagz, this dd wanted to go to the mall to meet friends. She couldn't drive so Bagz took her out there. As she got out of the car, she instructed Bagz to be back at a certain time .. not to be late. Bagz agreed then, after the girl was gone, said to me, "Like I'd leave her here by herself." That girlie and many of our kids don't realize how precious they are to us. We don't need reminding to take care of them and they take it for granted so easily.

ellabella
04-16-2007, 10:16 AM
I actually think that maggots can be QUITE cheerful. It's all in the perspective, I imagine. One must get rid of those preconceived notions and irrational dislikes, and be open to how very nice a maggot can sometimes be. I say, give them a chance. They often try very hard to be pleasant and considerate and caring. One truly shouldn't be so rigid in his/her attitudes toward them.

I, of course, still dislike Imus. On second thought, calling him a maggot is terribly unfair to maggots. I am officially rescinding my allegation.

I am tremendously impressed at George Clooney's letter. I had no idea....

Good grief, Schatzi!!! Are you BURIED in those books? Come out and say hello, fahgoodness' sake!

My birthday is coming up. My children are harrassing me about what I want. Why is it that *nothing* is so completely unacceptable? A nice card and some flowers? They can't seem to wrap their minds around the fact that anything I want, I just go ahead out and get for myself. What else do I have to do? They're all grown and gone. I get them stuff, too. I LIKE getting them things that I know they need and would like to have. I may have mentioned - or you may just generally know - that the cost of living here, which is where three out of my four kids lives (the other, as you also know, is out in L.A., where the cost of living is even HIGHER) is downright horrific, so with their mortgages, heating costs, transportation costs, etc., etc., and raising my grandchildren (except for DS who has none yet, thank GOD!) they often don't buy much for themselves - just like I didn't, when I was raising them. Now I can and do - and I love having dinner or brunch or lunch or whatever with them, but expensive gifts that they will have to pay for over the next six months on a credit card are just NOT NEEDED!!!! How do you explain that so your kids GET it????

Pouring hard, here, but the marathon is ON. Good luck to 'em. I'm staying tucked in, warm and cozy...may even have a nap.

Have a good day, all..

Ellabella :wave:

Kiwonk
04-16-2007, 01:05 PM
Jeez. A maggot.
WHO ARE YOU CALLING A MAGGOT???????????????

Wabby
04-16-2007, 01:06 PM
Well, Kiwi, my DD has been throwing up due to pregnancy. :yikes: :fr: :eek: :sp: :stress: :tantrum: :bomb: :tired: :stars: We're having a wedding on June 23rd. I didn't tell her to - that didn't work out so well the last time I told someone they should get married......... but I am sure that your DD just has cramps..... don't want to freak you out........I'm freaked out enough........she's 27, you'd think she'd have things figured out by now......

Peachez, what a trial you've been through...... hope DS recovers quickly and has no other problems....

Hi Leenie, thanks for the :hug:

Sugar's gonna pose more often. She said so. What are you posing for m'dear? Home remodelers weekly? Expat daily? Bi-lingual ladies home journal? Canadian-German Gourmet?

Trainwreck signing off here..............

Wabby
04-16-2007, 01:13 PM
Oh, on the Gpa Jim front ---- my sil has picked him up from the nursing home and has moved him in w/ her ----- she's called to say that "this is way more complicated than I thought it was going to be" He needs diabetic care -- testing, insulin injection, feeding him within 30 minutes of injection, other meds at certain times of day....... and he still can't walk by himself...... I don't know what it was that she expected-- I tried to talk him into going on medicaid and moving into an assisted living apartment, but he'd have none of it.... He did feel good enough to tell me his physical therapist at the nursing home was "absolutely gorgeous" and "built like a million bucks"........ at least his eyes are still working. I think his care will be too much for DH's sister in AZ to handle. I'm trying to step back and let the sil's work it out.

Kiwonk
04-16-2007, 01:49 PM
Okay, I know who was called a maggot, I was taking it personally for fun. Of course a maggot is after all a dead-flesh-eating larvae, so that might be slander. In any case, here's a good read (http://www.commondreams.org/archive/2007/04/15/534/) that I just happened on in the NYT (but you have to subscribe to read it there; this is a free link). Some of you will enjoy it, I think.

expensive gifts that they will have to pay for over the next six months on a credit card are just NOT NEEDED!!!! How do you explain that so your kids GET it????You could do what my mother in law does and take everything given you back to the store. It's not that she dislikes the things we give her, she just "doesn't need them" so she returns them. Then she gives the money to her grandchildren or buys them something, and sometimes she just gives us wads of money in a birthday or Christmas card. It is a bit trying, but she's a love so what can you do?

Nobody ever asks me what I want for my birthday, except for my mother. And she makes me go through catalogs over the phone until I find something she can buy me. :lol: Family :shrug: - what can you do? If I were you I would ask for flowers specifically (as opposed to "Oh flowers or a card or something"). I love it when people give me flowers.

We now have 3 inches of slush and it's raining. You wouldn't think that slush would hold up, particularly on an incline, but our driveway is covered with slush too. I almost slipped and landed right in it while coming down the driveway from the mailbox. And there is a lovely layer of mud under the slush. Fortunately I managed not to fall, but I sure got wet out there playing with the dog. What a mess. Crappy day for a marathon, I should say. Usually it's pretty nice for the race, it seems.

my DD has been throwing up due to pregnancy. Oh my!! Just what you needed, more turmoil! I hope they aren't marrying just because, y'know? Hope it's more of a good idea they just needed a reason for. Yeah, I know, wishful thinking, but :crossed: .

No, I'm not worried about that with my DD, but I am worried about cramps getting so bad as to lead to throwing up. And not once, but half the night. I'm making her a gyno appt for when she gets out of school next month.

Must go. Need more coffee :coffee:

Kiwi

Bagzz
04-16-2007, 07:56 PM
WELL,!!! EVEN IF IT'S A DRAG HAVING MORNING SICKNESS,I AM EXCITED THAT WABBY IS GETTING ANOTHER GRANDBABY!!!!! i was in my late twenties having the dd's so it's good timing!!! i am sorry she is feeling like crap though,cause i do remember that---AND i am glad someone else is getting a taste of gpa jim and his care issues--maybe some appreciation will waft over to you wabs!!!! ----unfortunately i turned on the tv a little earlier and i am in shock about the Virginia university massacre----it is impossible to imagine---all those students and their parents are in some kind of **** today----if we can pray----let us manage to.

Cowpernia
04-17-2007, 06:43 AM
I have been up all night barfing from a migraine. Am only posting to say that Ella is full of it.

Precious moment at work that's sticking with me. Read a book called "Do Pirates Take Baths" to the kids. Each page poses a question and answers it with a 6-line poem. They enjoyed answering the question before I read the answer but one page asked "How to pirates sleep?" They sleep, it said, in hammocks in the bottom of the ship and dream of their mothers. Pictures showed rough old pirates dreaming of round-faced mommies. They kids stared it this like it was a real live puppy. I held it up especially long and two of them could not contain themselves ..... they had to jump up and hug me.

I'm kinda excited about the grandbaby, too. Grandbabies who get Wabby are lucky lucky lucky. I watched an adorable movie this weekend called, "The Castle," about these Australian rednecky sort of people who lived in an "eyesore" that the government wasnted to take so they could expand the airport. It's all sweet and all the family members love each other and everything is expressed in endearing terms. (Even when the dad call an attorney "You dickhead" in court, he's attempting to console on a loss.) Anyway, the narrator, a 14-year-old boy mentions that a new addition came to the family when his brother's baby was born. "They had a nice wedding four weeks later." I don't know why I'm repeating them. Am delusional from migraine.

ellabella
04-17-2007, 10:18 AM
I have been up all night barfing from a migraine. Am only posting to say that Ella is full of it. ....... Am delusional from migraine.

I don't think being delusional as the result of a migraine is what prompted your analysis of me, dear Cowp. MANY before you have noted just how full of *it* I am...full of wisdom, humor, caring and compassion, that is. I think it's admirable the way you were able to recognize that, and make note of it - I'm honored, actually - despite the pain.

Hope you feel better soon, incidentally.

Congrats, Wabby....I sure wish I could get myself a new grandbaby! My youngest is five now, and I'm missing that sweet new baby smell. :bb:

Y'know, Kiwi, I may just start returning gifts and using the money as you described. What a GREAT idea!!!!

Have a wonderful day, all -

Ella :coffee:

Wabby
04-17-2007, 02:05 PM
My new avatar is a Wabby "before" picture.

Bagzz
04-17-2007, 02:19 PM
wabby!!! you like like a child star from the sixties!!! how adorable-----my newest pic is from when dd was on the johnson and johnson baby calendar.

SugP
04-17-2007, 03:26 PM
I cannot compete with cutie patootie baby pics. All my baby pics are on the other side of the Atlantic, or Pacific, or whatever. I am keeping my puffy hamster for now.

What happened at Virginia Tech is simply shocking.:( :( :(

Kiwonk
04-17-2007, 03:54 PM
My new avatar is a Wabby "before" picture.That is beautiful!! You look a lot like my DD in that photo. See?
They sleep, it said, in hammocks in the bottom of the ship and dream of their mothers. Pictures showed rough old pirates dreaming of round-faced mommies. They kids stared it this like it was a real live puppy. I held it up especially long and two of them could not contain themselves ..... they had to jump up and hug me.
Wow. Don't you love the emotional honesty of little kids? I love those picture books that really have something lovely to say. It's almost too bad that we put them aside after a few years, isn't it?

Is there going to be a duel? Peachie, I thought you had kicked migraines with herbs or vitamins or something. What gives?

I got some cheapo kitty litter recently and it is very heavy on the perfumy dust when you pour it in the pan. So now I can't get that smell out of my nose, and worse, apparently I smell of it all over because DH commented on it. I'm going to sneeze.

I finished my Easter Candy. Somebody make me stop eating.

Kiwi

Kiwonk
04-17-2007, 03:59 PM
What happened at Virginia Tech is simply shocking.:( :( :(I know, I can't get my head around it :no:

ellabella
04-17-2007, 06:25 PM
Is there going to be a duel? Kiwi

No dahling, I am, and always will be, a pacifist. Sticks and stones and all that.... ;)

Sug, I can't compete with all those adorable baby pics, either. Not that I wasn't adorable and didn't have adorable children...the pics are in the albums somewhere....and I am simply far too lazy to even THINK about dragging them out, looking through them, scanning them, uploading (or whatever it is you do to get them into e-mails and such) them...good grief!!!! Well, Okay, DH could undoubtedly do it for me, but I'm even too lazy to ask him.

I did ask him about taking my (current) pic, but by the time I did that, everybody had started displaying baby pics, so I didn't bother. I guess I'll stick with my cow.

Kiwi, I'm glad to see that you're still connected and not flooded out. New Hampshire has been hit really hard, and I wasn't sure about Maine.

The Virginia Tech shooting is a frightening thing, indeed. The family from Saugus, MA, whose son is one of the ones killed, weren't notified until late last night. I can only imagine what they suffered through, hearing about what was happening all throughout the day, waiting for word, and then finally hearing the worst imaginable news. My heart is just broken for them - for all of them. What's the absolute scariest is that I don't really think there's any real way to predict these things. This young man apparently had been writing some disturbing stuff in class, was referred for counseling, but I mean, even a counselor can only use their best judgment - and every depressed or disturbed or unhappy young person certainly doesn't end up shooting a whole bunch of people. In fact, there are a LOT of depressed kids in college. There were when I was in school, for pity sake. I remember being so sensitive about what people thought of me (SO glad I managed to get past that) and so unhappy if someone acted thoughtlessly or said something cruel.

Ahhh. Life can be so difficult to fathom, sometimes.

We are STILL waterlogged.

TTFN,

Kiwonk
04-17-2007, 06:59 PM
Kiwi, I'm glad to see that you're still connected and not flooded out. Our snow and mud are both getting waterlogged. Southern Maine is getting worse stuff than here though -- winds that are taking down trees and so on. I walked up the driveway to get the mail and found that we had 5 or 6 inches of mushy wet snow and slush since yesterday. It's the strangest thing to walk through some of it -- in some places it is like magical changeable stuff: your foot goes through it like snow but it turns to water in your footstep. Messsseeeeeeeee

I think I will change my avatar to something a little more recent. Mind you, only a little more recent.

Kiwi

Bagzz
04-17-2007, 07:17 PM
i can see the beautiful college girl who kicked miss kennedy's arse on the soccer field---------or do i have that wrong----lovely glamours shot--you look like martha stewart when she was a model!!!

Cowpernia
04-17-2007, 09:28 PM
You are ALLLL beautiful. You and your calendar girls. Remember how Lush (sigh) used to say her dh kept doing things around the house just to make her feel lazy? You're all posting these pictures to make me feel ..... you know.

Martha Stewart was a model? She could never be a high class broad like Kiwi.

Cowpernia
04-18-2007, 09:02 AM
am starting a new thread with a regional flavor.