Does it Work? Unsure if the latest product or service lives up to it's claims? From popular products to the latest scams, discuss it here before you buy!

Old 04-02-2007, 01:43 PM   #1  

Default Prescription Diet Pills

Has anybody taken or is currently taking prescription diet meds? I have made an appointment with my doctor to discuss some possible medications. Would love to have some feedback.
kilpey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 02:24 PM   #2  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

If you do a search on the forums, you will see some previous discussions about prescription diet pills.

The two I know about are:
Xenical - This is a fat absorber which will take 30% of the fat you eat out with it. Unfortunately, your intestines/colon aren't used to seeing unabsorbed fat so they can't quite hold onto it that well if you eat a lot of it and it can cause leakage.

Meridia - This one I actually took, didn't lose any weight but my normal low blood pressure turned into high blood pressure. I was immediately taken off of it. Personally, I believe the dangers really outweigh the benefits of using it.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 04:58 PM   #3  

I just recently was taking Phentermine. I only took them for a week. They definately made me not hungry. However, I didn't like the way they made me feel. I had a headache every day and it made me feel a little out of it. Not really dizzy but like spaced out. I stopped taking them after a week. I guess my stomach must have shrunk though because when I stopped taking them I was full with smaller amounts of food.

My doctor said that was an odd reaction and most of his patients are fine though.

I have also tried Meridia a few years ago and didn't have much results.
gvs729 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 07:54 PM   #4  

I took Phentermine too and I went off it and haven't taken it in about 4 months now. It works with keeping the hungries away and gives a boost of extra energy (I cleaned the house like a maniac!) but it can get expensive. I found that after 6-8 months of taking it that it stopped working and I had to give it a break and go off it. Of course, when you go off it you can easily fall back into bad eating habits which will put the weight back on. Then if you go back on the pills and lose again it's just yo-yo dieting on drugs. They made me dizzy at times and thirsty all the time. I had days where I had to make myself eat something because the pills worked so well I'd look at the clock and see that 7 hours or so had passed and I never gave food a thought. I don't think they're heart healthy though because I felt mine pound a few beats a couple times and it scared me. You might want to ask your Dr. about that.
Jezebelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 02:37 PM   #5  

i took meridia for 5 months lost 30 lbs i loved it...taking a break from it for money reasons but i love it...went from 186 to 156 size 15/16 to a 10
christinab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 04:35 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 290/170/170

Been taking Xenical for nearly 4 weeks and have lost 12lb. I keep to low-fat diet and have not had any particular problems with it.

Kitty
KforKitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 05:10 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 206/189.2/135

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by christinab View Post
i took meridia for 5 months lost 30 lbs i loved it...taking a break from it for money reasons but i love it...went from 186 to 156 size 15/16 to a 10
just curious, how much does it run?
lots2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007, 02:41 PM   #8  
Secret Agent

S/C/G: 222.2/221/150

Height: 5'5"

I took meridia about two years ago. It worked like a mo-fo- HOWEVER, i think you have to continue taking it to maintain. I didnt like that idea, switched to diet and exercise w/o the pills, and lost all the same. Meridia essentially eliminated my appetite, and therfore I didnt eat much. It was probably unhealthy. I had to make myself eat. I gained some weight back after i got off it, but I worked my *** off (haha- no pun intended) and got it back...
alhiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007, 02:43 PM   #9  
Secret Agent

S/C/G: 222.2/221/150

Height: 5'5"

It ran me like 150 month. WAY expensive. wasnt really worth it.. could you imagine that much every month for the rest of your life. Big fat negative.
alhiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 10:54 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 197/148/115

Height: 5'4

Default prolly a get real moment

My question is does insurance cover them? or is that a laughable idea?
dorko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 07:30 AM   #11  
prepare for the BEST time

My prescription insurance does cover prescription diet pills with no question....I've tried all of them. Meridia did not really work for me, BUT my mood was dramatically improved and my BP was elevated, so i quit that.

same with phentermine, but that is for short term use only. (i had a very clean house and short temper)

Xenical is now available 1/2 strength as Alli and it keeps you honest about your diet and only works on your GI tract.

the jury is still out on Acomplia (Zimulti) not yet released in the US, but probably within 6 months. it sounds like the improved version of meridia.

I consider the pills tools to help keep me on track....but this train gets derailed too often.
marbleflys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 08:00 AM   #12  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

I was on a relative of phentermine beginning the summer before high school (yeah, a doctor gave a 13 year old diet pills). I lost nearly all of my weight, but just as I was reaching my goal weight (the pills weren't working very well anymore, and I was losing like 1 lb a month), my doctor pulled the rug out from underneath me and lowered my goal by 10 lbs, I got so angry and frustrated I rebelled and gained the weight back and then some. Maybe if I'd been more mature, I could have dealth with the disappointment, or told the doctor to go jump.

I tried Meridia a few years ago, and I lost only about 20 before it stopped working on my appetite. It didn't affect my blood pressure, but it definitely affected my mood and sex drive. It made me feel like I could take on anything and accomplish it, and it drove my sex drive through the roof. My husband asked me never to take it again, because it made me "scary."
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 10:19 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 290/170/170

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaplods View Post
It made me feel like I could take on anything and accomplish it, and it drove my sex drive through the roof. My husband asked me never to take it again, because it made me "scary."
I have a image in my head of a man cowering in the bathroom with a rampaging female banging on the door shouting for him to come out

Kitty
KforKitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 10:36 AM   #14  
Gettin Closer!!

S/C/G: See Signature

Height: Tall enough for my feet to reach the ground

I am taking alli (over the counter xenical) and it works pretty good, it definately keeps you HONEST about what you eat....it isnt TOOOO expensive. It works well if you follow a lower fat eating plan! If you DONT, then you will possibly pay the consequences by haveing "treatment effects"
StillTryin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 10:56 AM   #15  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Kitty, LOL!!! Does it help to know the cowering male was 6'2" and about 380 lbs?
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote