Old 04-01-2007, 11:55 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 280/276/150

Height: 5'6"

Default Hi - new to the forums

My name is Brandy and I have 155# to lose. Yikes. That's hard to swallow, but I know I didn't get here overnight, so I know it will take time.

I think I'm serious about weight loss this time mostly b/c of my health. I'm 30, I have PCOS, have high blood pressure (controlled with meds) and recently started noticing my ankles are swelling. I just married in December and I'm so uncomfortable in my body. I hate how I look, that I have to ask for an extender on a plane, that I avoid things (like rides at the fair) b/c of my weight etc... I've been overweight my whole life and I just want to get to normal - where I can enjoy all the things I love with my husband.

Let's see...I have just finished the You on a Diet book and plan to really implement that, if I can figure it out. I wish it were a bit more defined actually...but I'm sure with time I'll get it.

I do have a question for those that have been doing this a while. As far as exercise goes...did you just diet first and then add in exercise when you hit a plateau? or did you start exercising right away? I do get short of breath with a lot of activity, but I can do it so I was thinking of either waiting or doing something like the 1 mile Walk away the pounds tapes.

Well, I look forward to getting to know you all!

Brandy
katrs5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 12:03 AM   #2  

Height: 5.6

Welcome Brandy!

You have found the best support system in the world! The ladies here are so wonderful and so full of knowledge!

The WATP dvd's are great... I started exercising the same time I changed my eating habits - I figured that I might as well start the same way that I mean to go on... Whatever I have a hard time doing - I just tone it down a bit until I could...

Good luck, you can do it!!
Penney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 09:43 AM   #3  
Kelly M

S/C/G: 246/147/150 WW Goal

Height: 5'5"

Welcome, Brandy, and good luck to you!

The number of pounds you need to lose can be very daunting, I started out needing to lose 106 pounds. Triple digits, wow, what an eye-opener! Don't look at the total weight loss needed. Break it down into smaller increments, whether they be 10 pounds or 10%. It all feels so much more achievable that way, and you will get the good feelings and motivation from reaching your goals!

I started exercising the same time I made the lifestyle changes. I felt that it was all part of the lifestyle package. I did not start out, however, going full speed ahead! I began with walking about a mile every day. If this is too much for you, start out with a half of a mile or even just once around the block! After a week or two you'll find that you're not nearly as tired when you're finished as you were the first couple times you did it. That's your signal to up your time/distance a bit. Then repeat the process, when you're comfortable with the new distance, up it again. You'll be doing a BIG workout in no time at all!
boaterswife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 10:18 AM   #4  
Bringing SexyBack ;)

S/C/G: 346/271/150

Height: 5'5"

Welcome Brandy! We have similar goals... I am trying to lose 165 lbs. WOW, I think that's the first time I've written that, and it does seem like a lot. So I try to think in smaller chunks. I'm trying to lose 45 lbs by the summer. That sounds better! LOL.

I started exercise right away, maybe within a week or two of committing to change my lifestyle. It may be easier to start one new habit at a time, but don't put off exercise for too long. I also started with WATP one mile, and I could barely get through the mile. 10 weeks later, I'm doing 45 minute Turbo Jam tapes, and sometimes even adding on another 20 minute tape. You're gonna be so shocked at how fast your cardiovascular health improves! And of course, exercise will help your weight loss tremendously.

We have a weekly exercise check in thread, and that really helps with motivation. Also there's a monthly point challenege that helps with accountability as well. So stick around and get to know these wonderful people. You can do it!!!
SexyRevealed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 10:51 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 316.5/see ticker/180

Height: 5'9"

Brandy. This board is the greatest so many people to cheer you on. I started excerising right away. I did the Walk away pound tapes at first and then mixed it up later with different things. You can do this!!!!!!
keeperofthehome4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 12:00 PM   #6  
Starting over 3/24/2017

S/C/G: 329/ticker/140

Height: 5' 5"

First of all - WELCOME! This is THE BEST place for support on your new lifestyle!

Second of all - regarding exercise, do what you can! If you can only walk 5 or 10 minutes around your block, etc., then do that. One thing to remember, those of us who have a lot to lose actually have an advantage over those who have only 10 or 20 lbs to lose! Our weight that we want gone is actually like a smaller person using weights, so it usually helps your weight loss go a little quicker at first than a smaller person sees. So...do what you can! You will find that the more you go down the more you can move and you can up the routine which you will need by that point anyway.

Please keep in mind - THIS IS DO-ABLE!!! Be sure to visit the threads were folks have posted their incredible successes!!! Those are SO motivating and gives us hope to keep pressing on ourselves.

I look forward to getting to know you as we make this journey together!
RitzyFritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 03:26 PM   #7  
Diane

S/C/G: 294/258.0/180

Welcome Brandy! You've come to a great place.
Just remember "one step at a time". I just started too, and the only goal I'm focused on right now is to get below 270. I'm trying to do a decade at a time. That might work for you, too!
Slashnl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 04:06 PM   #8  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Hi Brandy, Welcome! There is also a PCOS forum here on 3fc that may have some tidbits for you.

As far as exercise first vs diet first, I actually started with exercise then worked on my food. I don't think you should wait at all! Exercise will help improve your heatlh as well as help you lose the weight.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 05:05 PM   #9  
Former Quitter

S/C/G: 310/310/180

Height: 5'7

Brandy. Looking forward to getting to know you.

In response to your question about exercise - I started exercising at the same time I started following my diet plan. My body won't respond to diet alone.
GirlyGirlSebas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 07:13 PM   #10  
Believe

Height: 5'7"

Welcome to the forum Brandy! I also started exercising at the same time that I started following my food plan. But I started slowly and added in additional exercise as I went along.
melsfolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 07:28 PM   #11  
Nursing Momma

S/C/G: 312/247/212

Height: 5 ft 7 in

Welcome.
jennylou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 11:37 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 280/276/150

You are all right. I'm going to just start the exercise - do what I can and work up to more. Thanks for all the warm welcomes.

Brandy
katrs5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 06:48 PM   #13  

Default New to 3FC today

Hi,

I also have 3 digits to lose and I am really determined. I know it will take quite a while and a real change in lifestyle, but I have already lost 12 pounds and am comfortable with low carb diet. It gives me lots of energy. However, I have not really started any exercise.
I have a Healthrider but I just don't get on it!!! I need to do it first thing in the morning or I know I will not do it at all.
Just talking about it makes me think about doing it. Well, heres to Monday.
Elstyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 08:36 AM   #14  
Back in Action

S/C/G: 213/197/140

Hi Brandy. Welcome to 3FC. I also started out with with a large amount to lose and it does seem unthinkable, but boy oh boy, is it doable. And you won't regret your decision for a minute!

I didn't start exercising until I was fully and completely comfortable with my eating plan. I've tried, (and sometimes successfully) to lose weight throughout the years and I always jumped in full force and thought I had to do it all at once. I would get burned out, or if I screwed up in one area, (eating or excercise) I just gave up on it all. THIS TIME, I decided to take it slow. Baby steps. I figured I was hauling an additional 190 pounds 24/7, and that is WAY more than MOST people can bench press. I was getting in massive weight training by just moving, (and not sitting at the computer so much!). It worked well for me. I added in more excercise as I lost. I NEVER had a plateau and lost steadily. Do what you can, but don't try to overwhelm yourself, (or injure yourself). Hold on tight and enjoy the ride!
Lori Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 08:42 AM   #15  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Ummm, Loribell, I love how you shared you story (as I always do), but I'm not sure if Brandy will be around to hear it (though I'm sure plenty of others will). This thread is almost 3 years old!

I got SO excited when I saw folks who responded to this who haven't been here in ages, that's when I realized it was an oldie. Oh well...
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote