Exercise! - Cool Runners - April

View Full Version : Cool Runners - April

Ilene
04-01-2007, 12:44 PM
Wow Spring is in the air, let's run with the wind :lol: Back later ....

ennay
04-01-2007, 01:44 PM
Ilene----are you anxious for spring up there in canada? :lol:

YP1
04-01-2007, 02:16 PM
I had a rest day today, probably another 7 with running club tomorrow though. We're onto summer routes now, so I don't know how long any of them are, but I'm guessing it will be around 7.

Ilene
04-01-2007, 02:30 PM
Ilene----are you anxious for spring up there in canada? :lol:How'd you guess :lol: .... Actually, I just wanted to make it seem that as a moderator I am on the ball, because I'm usually 2 days lateto start the threads :D...

8,25k run in exactly 1:00:00 on my watch :carrot:

Sheila53
04-01-2007, 04:27 PM
Just wanted to say :bravo: to LisaMarie71 on running her first 10K! Way to go!

futurepixie
04-01-2007, 04:50 PM
W7w1 today

It was hard- i think that maybe my snack before my run was too big? 1/2 banana, 2 tbsp. peanut butter and a tortilla. But I was hungry by the end of the run, so maybe not. I had to walk for about 2 minutes in my 25 min run. C25K suggests that 25 minutes of jogging should eb comparable to 2.5 miles or something.....yeah right! I am a turtle! My mile is closer to 13 minutes or something!

Oh well- this time two months ago I wasn't even running, so I guess that I am doing pretty alright.

ennay
04-01-2007, 07:14 PM
5.1 today!

Ooooh did Lisa have a 10K report? gotta go look

ennay
04-01-2007, 07:19 PM
Woohoo Lisa--great job!

And to follow up on last months thread...

silverrose- a good compromise if you feel that you are in week 3 or 4 shape is to start at week 3, but repeat week 3 twice, then go to week 4 and repeat week 4 twice before moving on to week 5 and progressing. So you dont go too fast forward and get injured, but you also dont take a step back

windy- you ARE a real runner!!!!!! My friend feels the same way, she thinks they will kick her out of the running store when she goes in for shoes. sign up sign up sign up

Ilene
04-01-2007, 07:51 PM
:bravo: Lisa!!

poppins3
04-01-2007, 08:23 PM
Just finished my final 2.5 mi run of C25K!

I never, ever thought I'd be running 2.5 mi, much less on a day like today when I've been out all day and was tired. But I feel so much better now that I ran.

I love running!!

LisaMarie71
04-01-2007, 08:31 PM
Thanks, everyone! It was so much fun! What I didn't like was the fact that I had to get there super early because of parking and because my husband's wave started an hour before mine. So there was a lot of standing around and waiting, but I had my brother, his wife, and my sister-in-law I've been training with. We were all a bit nervous, but my husband's an old pro at this. Another bad thing was that I forgot to put deodorant on before leaving the house!!! I managed to run over to a store and buy some, put it on, and then throw it away before the race (I couldn't exactly run 6.2 miles carrying a stick of deodorant...)

The first mile felt like it took AGES, but the next two were ok. The hard part was maneuvering around all the walkers, who made huge blockades and just sort of strolled along gossiping. I have no problem with people walking the race, but I'd like them to let me pass! Mile two and three were fine, and when I got to the halfway point I was REALLY excited. Around 3.5 to 5, I struggled a bit, but after the 5-mile marker it just flew. Suddenly I was at the 6-mile point and my sister-in-law kicked it in and went a bit faster. There was a guy behind us at the end yelling "Go team!" and I felt like I was on his team, so it motivated me. :lol: I don't know who he was talking to, but it helped. It was cool that my sister-in-law and I stayed together the whole time, since we trained together all along and we're both new runners.

Sorry to ramble, but it was soooooo much fun. And next I get to train for the half marathon (with a couple of 5ks before that).

ennay
04-01-2007, 09:58 PM
lol on the deodorant Lisa, lots of runners go without....

Yeah on the walker thing. It is why I always lie about my pace as doesalmost everyone else. starting at about 9 minute miles the walkers get down right annoying. I dont mind walkers either, but strolling along 3 and 4 across ticks me off.

LisaMarie71
04-01-2007, 10:19 PM
ennay, I learned my lesson about that. I'll definitely put myself in an earlier wave next time. I was in the next-to-last runner wave, because I put that I would finish in 1:30 or 1:40 or something, and I finished in 1:12. Next time I'll know better.

YP1
04-02-2007, 04:15 PM
Well done for doing so much better than you put yourself down for!

I did 6.8 miles with running club tonight. I ended up actually persuading a few people to come on a slightly longer route with me, I never thought that I'd be the enthusiastic one wanting to run further.

It struck me on the way back that running actually feels natural now. You know how when you start it's an effort to get going, and keep going, and you're conscious of the fact you're running. Now it's more like when you walk, you can walk without constantly thinking about the fact you're walking. I only just noticed that today.

(And scarily I still seem to be getting faster by the week. This isn't meant to be happening during marathon training!)

LisaMarie71
04-02-2007, 07:50 PM
I hope I get to that point, Helen, where running feels natural. I have moments like that sometimes...just a little hint of what's to come. I honestly feel like I have the potential to be a decent runner somewhere down the road. I'll never be superfast, certainly, but I think I'll be ok. And that's just such a miracle for me.

Today it definitely didn't feel natural. I did 5 miles, which may have been a mistake so soon after the 10k, but I felt like doing it. It was kind of tough.

AnneWonders
04-02-2007, 10:19 PM
Lisa, it is really inspirational watching you come so far over such a relatively short time!

Somebody needs to kick my butt in gear! I way overdid on my mtn bike Friday (advanced trail), and road bike Saturday (48 miles on 20 miles of training rides!) and now I'm hatin' life. Was going to run today, but am finding myself in whining mood. Oh, it hurts! Oh, I'm tired! Committing: going tomorrow for at least 3 miles. Really. Putting my stuff out now.

Anne

ennay
04-02-2007, 11:15 PM
:kickbutt: :kickbutt: :kickbutt:

there you go Anne. most exercise I got all day (not counting cleaning the house and chasing the kid)

sportmom
04-03-2007, 12:09 AM
X-posting this from LWL to see if any of you all dealt with this when you started running:

I'm on w2 of c25k, which is the 90 second runs. Joints and muscles are fine, but breathing is crazy. My hr was 185 at the end of last week too, but I guess keeping it there for 1 minute was bearable but 90 seconds just too much. I recover down to 145 during the walking segments. My running tops are so tight to hold me down that it feels difficult to expand my chest enough to breathe. Maybe this would happen regardless of the type of top and it's just my lungs screaming for air. The hr concerns me, as it's above the max for even a 20 year old. I know those are just estimates and not the most your heart can beat, but I don't want to find my max is 195 while I'm crashing off the treadmill either, kwim?

So my question is (because I think I know the answer), is when I should try again? I can do fast walking @ 3.8 and 4.0 on the treadmill til the cows come home, and probably get my heartrate to my max healthy rate with no problem. And it doesn't hurt to breathe. yes, I could run at a slower rate, which is how I started the run program, but I feel like I'm plodding at a slower rate (I'm running on 5.5; 5.0 felt too slow) and it's awkward. I think my fast walk is a good way to go. But what will make me more cardio efficient - is is a matter of time of doing more walking cardio, or more driven by dropping another 20 lbs to lessen the workload on my heart? Or a combination of both?

I'm on the treadmill running the whole time thinking, prehistoric women weren't runners. The women stayed back in the village while the men were the runners/hunters. The women may have been nomadic WALKERS but they weren't running the paths with their bazookas slinging all over their chests!!! lol Sometimes just going back to nature and the way things were meant to be makes sense. Double D women aren't meant to run, me thinks! :D So short of a breast reduction and rapid weight loss, what's this 200+ lb woman to do for now?

YP1
04-03-2007, 03:45 AM
Lisa - I think you could be a pretty decent runner - your first 10k time is pretty similar to mine, and I bet you that next time you'll be a fair bit faster too if you carry on putting in the hard work. Speed isn't the be all and end all of running, but it's nice.

AnneWonders
04-03-2007, 10:12 AM
hrbabe, just a couple of thoughts for you to consider: if your HR is getting to 185, your lungs are screaming for air, and the clothes won't make much difference. 5.5mph is really really fast for just starting out, for comparison my run this morning averaged 4.7mph and I've been running since 2003 (unfortunately we can't all be like our Helen). Try starting to run at that point on the treadmill where it isn't comfortable to walk anymore, or skip the treadmill altogether and try it outside somewhere so you aren't worried about speed. Also, there is nothing magical or sacred about the C25K plan. It has been a great help to a lot of people, but it has just as many dropouts in part because it is also too hard for a lot of people (me included). Maybe you need to repeat a week, or shorten a run interval or lengthen a walking interval.

I'm not sure what you mean by the cardio-efficient question. I personally don't believe in "cardio". All exercises seem to me to be exercise-specific. If you want to get better at walking, you walk. If you want to get better at running, you run. If you want to get better at swimming, you swim. If you want to get better at bench pressing, you press. There are some cross-training benefits including less boredom, less injury, etc, but there's no substitute for training your sport. If you want to burn calories and be healthy, then pick your favorite and do it--nothing wrong with that either. And losing weight does help to be a better running, but even that won't make it automatic.

ennay, thanks for the butt kick. Running after tots is hard! I ran my 3.1 mile loop this morning (if I say 5K everyone will think I raced!) in about 40 minutes. Nice run, pretty morning.

Happy running everyone.

Anne

hikerchick
04-03-2007, 12:59 PM
Hi all,

Back from a job interview on the coast. Funny how all of the sudden major life decisions are framed by how it will effect running.

On the one hand 50-60 degree temps year round are pretty nice to run in. Lots of trails really a great running environment.

On the other hand dampness + my knees = not happy me.

Nothing major really but even today my knees are recovering a bit. Decided to only do 2.5 miles to give them a rest. Also sore ankles. Oh well.

Lisa I am very impressed!!!!!

Poppins welcome to the world. It is amazing how in such a relatively short time you can be completely transformed.

HR I think you should go for 5 mph run segments until you can do the whole program. At that point do faster intervals. I think intervals are totally the way to go for fat loss/fitness. Course that is just me and as always ymmv (pun intended!). I didn't time myself but I was fairly sure that I ran even slower than that to start. I have hills which I actually kind of like. I prefer the challange of hoisting myself up a mountain to speed. Again thats just me.

Happy running all!

LisaMarie71
04-03-2007, 06:02 PM
yes, I could run at a slower rate, which is how I started the run program, but I feel like I'm plodding at a slower rate (I'm running on 5.5; 5.0 felt too slow) and it's awkward. I think my fast walk is a good way to go.

5.5 is much faster than I was going at first. In fact, it's faster than I'm going now, usually. You can't expect to go fast from the beginning -- I've struggled with that because I WANT to go faster but my body isn't ready yet (it doesn't help having Speedy Gonzales for a husband). When I started my version of C25K, I was doing 13-minute miles. Now I run something like 11:30 minute miles, usually, and I can keep that pace for a decent distance. If I'd started out too fast, there's no way I could've built up to 6.2 miles so I could run that 10k.

Tonight I only ran 2 miles, on a track -- first time I've done that. It wasn't a nice rubbery track, though -- it was one of those crushed cinder ones, the small gravel. It felt a bit odd, but the worst part was the hot sun!! I'm really not good at running when it's over 80 degrees outside... I walked a mile after running, and for some reason that really hurt my back. I think it's because my arms feel more natural and loose when I'm running and when I walk I swing them more and my back isn't used to that anymore.

By the way, thanks for the encouragement, you guys. It means a LOT. :)

ennay
04-03-2007, 06:48 PM
Running too fast is the number one mistake new runners make. Most of the time it SHOULD feel plodding. Your cardiovascular system needs to catch up to your mechanics.

Breathing is what happens when the heart can't oxygenate the blood fast enough.

If you are having troubles with the 90 second intervals and getting up to 185 SLOW DOWN and/or do shorter intervals. It may feel awkward at first, but eventually you can speed up. There is lots of room between 5.5 and 5.0 too why not 5.1 or 5.2? No need to aim for the even numbers. It may seem small but I notice the difference in my workout if I run 10 seconds per mile faster or slower. Try what gets your HR up, but not THAT up and that you can sustain for the interval. Repeat weeks if necessary. If at the end of the week all the runs felt really hard, then repeat the week.

There is nothing inherently prohibitive about DD's but you may need to spend some time looking for a better bra or wearing two. The right bra is out there.

WindyCityChick
04-03-2007, 10:01 PM
Hrbabe, a quick recommendation for you on a sports bra is to try an Enell bra - finding that bra was, for me, probably one of the most significant things that allowed me to believe I could actually become a runner. My girls need a lot of support, and the Enell bra is better than anything else I've tried - makes running sooooo much less painful.

NavyWifeDee
04-03-2007, 11:14 PM
I am definitely a plodder, although I am getting faster.. my first 5k I only ran/walked a 14:09 per mile pace... most of the walkers beat me. I can now run right at a 12:00 per mile pace, with my easy nights being just a mile (although I'm about to up the amount I make my easy nights) but at a bit faster 11:00 or 11:30. I definitely second the advice about the Enell bra.. I'm quite busty, and I wasn't even able to run a 1/4 mile before I got it, the girls just moved to much and it really really affected my breathing.

Dee

LisaMarie71
04-04-2007, 10:12 AM
Rachel and Dee, does the Enell bra work on its own? Every other bra I've tried, I have to wear it OVER a regular bra or the girls still bounce about. I've gone from a double D to a single D, but there's still plenty of bounce left. Wearing two bras works, but if I could use just one, that would be lovely!

NavyWifeDee
04-04-2007, 01:32 PM
Yup, it works on it's own. I actually wear a size smaller than it says I need, which makes it quite tight... but they don't move, and as someone who ALWAYS had to wear two bras to run, it's my favorite running accessory(even better than my Ipod). Try Ebay for factory rejects.. I got two for less than the price of a new one, and all they had was a little bitty snag or two.. since I wear them under a shirt, didn't matter to me at all. BTW, don't think I've said it yet, but Way To Go on the 10K! You're awesome.. I have an 8k in June, and I hope I'll be ready.. I just decided I'm not ready for my 5K's this month, so just building up my running habit and starting races again in May.

ennay
04-04-2007, 03:36 PM
Rachel and Dee, does the Enell bra work on its own? Every other bra I've tried, I have to wear it OVER a regular bra or the girls still bounce about. I've gone from a double D to a single D, but there's still plenty of bounce left. Wearing two bras works, but if I could use just one, that would be lovely!

Enells dont work for me at ALL I get more support from my nursing bra ..try before you buy. I have heard they will custom make for you if the standard sizes dont work, but really who wants to go through all that?

I get great support from my champion 1018 (I am using the model # because they keep changing the damn name)
with only one bra but I wear a smaller size than I am "'supposed to"

ennay
04-04-2007, 03:38 PM
Oh, about 4.25 today, was aiming for 5 but nature called... loudly. It turns out when necessary to prevent disaster, I am capable of running an 8 minute mile for at least 0.5 miles

elisa822
04-04-2007, 04:13 PM
Hi Everyone,

I just wanted to drop by to say "wow" to everyone's accomplishments. I too wait for the day when running feels natural. I am definitely not there yet.

I'm still sticking with my 5k for distance. It seems manageable and the time commitment isn't huge. I got outside on Monday and ran along our boardwalk by the lake, which was nice. It is, of course, a popular spot for running so there's always inspiration there. This was the first time that I ran outside when it was quite windy on my way back so I was thrilled that I still made it in about 35 minutes.

I still stop once or twice to walk but it seems to work for me. I try to keep an even pace but sometimes like the feel of picking it up a bit and then I need to walk for a minute to catch my breath.

I just put a new battery in my old HR monitor so maybe I'll wear it next time and see what my heartrate is. Although I generally feel pretty good when I'm running.

I know there's many opinions on this but anyone know of somewhere I can find some good target heart rate information?

Thanks...and keep on running! :running:

YP1
04-04-2007, 05:11 PM
I did a good 7 miles with running club this evening, I'm hoping for a bit more than 10 before work in the morning as I won't get a long run in over the weekend.

WaterRat
04-04-2007, 05:23 PM
Ah, I'll be running tonight - on the :tread: as the bike trail is still icy.

Fran, I agree with the others - take it slower! :) I'm repeating week 2 sort of, because moving from 90 sec to 3 minutes is too much for me right now. The last time I did C25K (in 2000) I tweaked it all the time because I was running mostly on a track and it was easier to count laps than time. But however you do it, slow and steady gets the results. You can always work on speed later.

YP1
04-05-2007, 03:53 AM
I had a lovely run into work this morning. My legs were a bit tired because it was less than 10 hours after my club run last night, but it was the only time I could fit a decent length run in this week. Just over 12 miles, although my achilles started playing up towards the end which wasn't good :(

WaterRat
04-05-2007, 12:53 PM
As I mentioned in the April thread - the bike trails were clear of ice last night, and I was able to do 45 minutes outdoors! It was sooo nice. I did part of week 2 and walked the rest.

hikerchick
04-05-2007, 12:57 PM
Hi 3.5 miles today. I really shook things up. I started in the opposite direction. Totally different run weird how it completely changed my mental state. I think I needed the change this morning.

Happy Running!

LisaMarie71
04-05-2007, 08:43 PM
Wasn't going to run tonight because I went out for Mexican food with a friend, then drove all the way back to the gym to pick up my husband. I ended up getting on the treadmill anyway and doing 3.1 miles. Getting ready for that 5k I'm running on April 21st (I wasn't sure if I would do that one, but I'm committed now). I did speed intervals and ended up running it in 34:00, which is my best time yet for the 5k distance by far. Woohoo! :)

AnneWonders
04-06-2007, 10:05 AM
I set out to do 4 miles this morning, running my usual loop backwards just for kicks. My HR was OK, but my breathing never settled in and I was getting a lot of side stitches. I walked a lot of the last 1.5 miles and was absolutely starving when I got in. Bonking, maybe? I don't know, but it was a lovely morning, and I'm eating a huge bowl of Flax Plus cereal with blueberries and vanilla soymilk and life is good.

Anne

ennay
04-06-2007, 01:03 PM
I ran in my new orthotics today and was in massive pain, cut the run short

stacylambert
04-07-2007, 02:10 AM
Ooh oooh, I wanna join! I just signed up for my first 5K and I'm so excited! It's 6 weeks away and I found a beginner's plan from Shape magazine that just happens to be 6 weeks to a 5K. I just finished my first week of it. So far no joint or muscle issues, just a fairly painful side stitch on the last run. I need to work on my breathing pattern, I heard that helps. I'm in fairly good aerobic shape so I was averaging 12min/miles for the 12 minute runs. I found a good bra (Victoria's Secret) but it's the rest of the jiggliness that bothers me. What do you all wear for pants/shorts? I HATE the evil thigh jiggle.

NESunshine
04-07-2007, 09:14 AM
Hey Ladies... just wondering if I could join in here... I posted about a week ago on the exercise thread that I was interested in starting to run...feeling that I need a new challenge to focus on (other than counting calories). Well someone pointed me towards 'coolrunning.com' so I went to the site and a switch went off in my head 'ahhhh so thats what those 'cool runners' threads mean....so I read through everything and decided to give it a shot! Yesterday was just W1D2 of C25K for me so I'm really just starting out. I fared well, and have a friend giving it a shot with me. Right now its still to cold to try it outside, really because there's still a lot of ice so I'm hitting the treadmill at the gym but i am looking forward to getting outdoors when the weather gets a bit nicer in the coming weeks. I was having a bit of pain in my shins, but I think that will work itself out if I stretch a bit more.
Anyway I'm really excited!

ennay
04-07-2007, 01:24 PM
11 pain free orthotic free miles today

I thought the route I had planned was ~ 10.5 plus a bit extra to meet up with my running buddy, but it turned out to be less, so I ran her home and then ran extra because I felt really good and I wanted ~11 today

Plus I conquered heartbreak hill from my 10K that I had to walk a bit. Ran the whole way smoothly and it was mile 8 of the run :)

welcom stacey and sunshine!

Stacey, I wear compression shorts because I chafe. They are the "aerobics" shorts that look like bike shorts without the padding. I cant wear running shorts yet

AnneWonders
04-08-2007, 02:28 PM
Four miles this morning. It started off as a good run, turned into a bad run, turned into a nice walk. Ah, well, they can't all be winners. Two bad ones in a row for me though. One more and I'll really need to think about that.

Anne

WindyCityChick
04-08-2007, 08:40 PM
Ran 6 miles this morning, I was in Virginia visiting a friend, and they have hills - what a shock for this Chicago girl! It actually felt good, kinda nice to run in a new location. But it was cold there too, just like Chicago has been for the last week. I am so ready for a little more spring weather.

Ennay, I love the new picture of your munchkin - so cute!

Sheila53
04-08-2007, 08:43 PM
Ennay, I thought orthotics were supposed to help! Bet you thought that, too. Wonder what's up with them?

On Tuesday, I'll be at the 4-week healing mark for the broken bone in my arm so I thought I'd give running a shot. Happy to say I ran 5K with no problem to my arm at all. My lungs were sure burning, though, but I think it's all the pollen in the air.

Looking forward to having all body parts in good condition so I can go back to a regular exercise schedule that includes running, rowing and lifting weights with both arms. I did discover, however, that I don't mind stationary bicycling as much as I thought I would.

hikerchick
04-08-2007, 09:13 PM
Hi everyone. Welcome new runners!

Ran a very slow untimed 5 miles yesterday. I hadn't done 5 in a few weeks and it was much more doable than I remember.

Its really getting warm here. Starting to have to go out in shorts!

Ilene
04-08-2007, 11:24 PM
8.25k this morning 1h1m ...

Ennay -- sometimes orthotics take an adjustment period, that's what my doctor had warned me about, I was lucky though the first time I went out they felt great...

ennay
04-09-2007, 08:44 AM
Ilene -yeah, but I've had them tweaked twice and the pain was crippling. I wanted them for toe pain and they have so much heel lift that all my weight is on my toes. I did what he said and broke them in until I could walk in them all day first.

I dont know, they just seem to be making the problem worse.

Ilene
04-09-2007, 06:38 PM
Ilene -yeah, but I've had them tweaked twice and the pain was crippling. I wanted them for toe pain and they have so much heel lift that all my weight is on my toes. I did what he said and broke them in until I could walk in them all day first.

I dont know, they just seem to be making the problem worse.Oh I see, that really sucks :( ... Sure hope they get better soon ...

poppins3
04-09-2007, 06:43 PM
I went to a local running store to have my gait analyzed today. It was lots of fun, and I came home with a new pair of Mizuno Wave Nirvana 3's. They were a bit more than I expected to pay ($145), but I loved them so much that I let her ring them up without even looking at the price.

Excited to break them in with my 3 mi run on Wednesday -- my first run in the LAST week of C25K.

Does anyone have ideas on where I should go from there? Should I try to improve speed or distance? I currently run at a 5.2 mph pace.

Thanks!

NavyWifeDee
04-09-2007, 07:32 PM
So after a week of not running due to extreme laziness and being down, I ran 1. 3 today.. not much, but at least I'm back out there. Woohoo!

Ilene
04-09-2007, 07:35 PM
poppins -- I want to try those Mizuno Wave Nirvana's next time I'm in the market for new runners, which is very soon, like next Friday :D ...

No run for me today, did some Bikram yoga :yoga:

poppins3
04-09-2007, 08:39 PM
Ilene, I highly recommend them!

It was funny for me to buy Mizuno running shoes today because yesterday, I was just commenting to DH how funny it is that Mizuno makes golf clubs and catcher equipment (in baseball). I had NO idea that they also made sneakers. What a varied company!!

sportmom
04-09-2007, 10:23 PM
Hey all, I may be back in the swing of things. I got fitted last week at a running store and left with Saucony ProGrid Triumphs. I thought I was in the best cushion shoe out there, the Adidas Supernova Cushion, but I lovelovelove these Sauconys! I ran on the treadmill today and felt like I had pillows strapped to my feet - they were that awesome! I literally just roll up on impact. I also got rid of my too-tight Adidas vice grip bra and used a couple of loser ones. Still the same support but I got rid of that chest crushing, I can't breathe sensation. I might start week 1 here very soon again! I'm struggling with a knee that hurts now going up and down stairs so I'm not sure what that's from or if running will worsen it. I'm fine all other times, including running, so it seems a weight bearing jointy/flexing thing, right?

ennay
04-10-2007, 01:05 AM
4.7 this morning

gym day tomorrow. I think I'll do my gym workout and then try the orthotics on the treadmill for maybe 5 minutes.

YP1
04-10-2007, 03:52 AM
Just 4.2 over the weekend, along the banks of the Rhine in Cologne on Sunday morning. Weights this morning, but I'll be back at running club tomorrow. Strangely though my legs feel sorer from a weekend of walking (about 7 miles per day) than they normally do if I run!

ennay
04-10-2007, 05:39 PM
I went to a local running store to have my gait analyzed today. It was lots of fun, and I came home with a new pair of Mizuno Wave Nirvana 3's. They were a bit more than I expected to pay ($145), but I loved them so much that I let her ring them up without even looking at the price.

Excited to break them in with my 3 mi run on Wednesday -- my first run in the LAST week of C25K.

Does anyone have ideas on where I should go from there? Should I try to improve speed or distance? I currently run at a 5.2 mph pace.

Thanks!

I'd go for distance. Speed generally is best improved by improving overall fitness. And then you find out where your "natural limit" is. Just run. :) The occasional speed workout is good too, but speed workouts should be ~1/wk max, the rest of the time, try not to worry about pace, just run.

AnneWonders
04-11-2007, 10:30 AM
About 3.5 miles this morning. 41 minutes. Did a different route than usual, out and back with a couple hills. It was a nice morning! The palo verde trees are blooming, so they are all very yellow and pretty--fortunately I'm not allergic. I'm thinking the cacti will start blooming next week and then it will be just gorgeous.

The only downside this morning is that the sun was just at the perfect angle so that the shadow of my butt looked enormous! Must be an optical illusion, right?? :)

We are off to Boston tomorrow for DH's 2nd running of the Boston Marathon, as well as a good long visit with the in-laws. See you guys next week.

Anne

NavyWifeDee
04-11-2007, 11:51 AM
Did a mile last night with the dog.. I should not have been lazy last week. I was able to do 2 miles with less effort than the one last night.. I guess I've learned my lesson.

hikerchick
04-11-2007, 12:46 PM
Neither rain nor snow...

OK well no snow but the rain has returned. Whew! and it was pretty darned cold out there today. 3 miles and they seemed so hard today. A combination of me pushing myself in general (still trying to balance the weight lifting running combination) and running in a wet jacket (it gets heavy).

But is was still a pretty nice run and the rain stopped just at the end so I could enjoy the short walk home. All in a ll a good day.

ennay
04-11-2007, 01:45 PM
~5.7 sluggish miles today

Although after I left my running buddy I really picked up the pace again. This could be good. I have a tendency to train at too high a pace , run 4 miles at a nice training pace and then do a mile at a tempo run.

poppins3
04-11-2007, 02:27 PM
I just finished my first 3-mi run!! I LOVE C25K!

ennay: Thanks for the advice!!

hikerchick
04-11-2007, 02:33 PM
Poppins,

It has been really fun watching your progress. Congrats. I am a beginner too only got up to a 3 mile run a month or so ago (2 maybe now I can't really remember) it is so much fun when you realize that running is not only possible but enjoyable.

poppins3
04-11-2007, 02:37 PM
Thanks, hikerchick! Your motivation has really helped. :)

What kind of schedule did you follow after reaching 3 miles?

hikerchick
04-11-2007, 03:16 PM
Right now I run every other day 3 miles. Weekend run 5 miles. I worked up to the 5 but haven't done much different during the week. At least once a week I try to run up my hills as fast as possible (don't be fooled as fast as possible is still a slow jog) ( in a 3 mile run it would be 9 times realy pushing it for 30-60 seconds just about) even with this I am still slow slow slow.

I don't feel like my running has hugely improved (of course the 5 mile is an improvement but I only do that once a week). I lift weights too and my biggest struggle is balancing the two. If I try to alternate the two my legs don't get a break and so I have been putting them on the same day which has its own chalenges. Right now my biggest struggle is the mental struggle of remembering how far I have come. Some days I go out and I feel so slow and I have to really focus and remember that a few months ago I couldn't run for 3 minutes without coughing up a lung.

Thats one of the reasons I have really enjoyed seeing your progress. It helps me remember how wonderful it is to set goals and accomplish them. Its amazing what the body can accomplish with a little planning and determination.

poppins3
04-11-2007, 03:34 PM
Hikerchick, thanks so much for the insight. Since the long runs 2-mi + started, I often want to give up within the first mile. But after I complete that mile, my second wind kicks in and I'm able to motivate myself to finish. Though I know a small walk break wouldn't lessen my accomplishment, I'm really proud that I have been able to follow the plan to the letter without any breaks. (I've been doing 5.2 mph on the treadmill, so my pace isn't too hard to keep up.)

I really like the idea of doing one longer run every week. I would like to keep running 3-4 days per week, but never more than every other day. (I'll do other cardio on the remaining days.)

How did you build up to 5 miles?

I was thinking of finishing the remaining two 3-mi runs this week, then doing 4 more 3-mi runs next week. After that, maybe I'll keep doing two to three 3-mi runs plus one 3.25-mi run (then 3.5-mi, then 3.75-mi, etc.) each week.

I'm also trying to do other cardio, strength work, yoga and pilates, so I'm having a time trying to combine these all into a manageable exercise regimen without shutting down my body.

I haven't seen much weight loss yet, though my muscles are becoming more defined. My problem is that I can never tell if I'm pushing my body too hard (and thus not seeing results), if I'm not pushing hard enough (and thus, again, not seeing results), or pushing just the right amount (and results will come soon).

My body feels better than it ever has, and I'm so pleased with my progress -- I'd just like to see the scale (or at least my clothes) to reflect some of the progress as well!

stacylambert
04-11-2007, 03:46 PM
I did a little over 2 miles last night. 25 minutes-my longest run yet! We went to the beach and ran along the bike path. It was definitely nice to get out of the gym. I'm definitely missing living right by the beach like we used to. I ran with my husband who's been running for awhile and he said were were probably going at an 11 to 12 min/mi pace which is a lot faster than I'm used to. I need to learn to pace myself.

My shorts drove me crazy though. I got a pair that were supposed to be compression but they slide the whole way up until it looks like I'm wearing a bathing suit bottom. It was so annoying reaching down every 30 seconds to yank on them. I don't know if I got them too big so they're not snug enough to stay put or what. Definitely won't be wearing them for my next run.

hrbabe, I just got those same shoes and love them! The cushioning is unbelievable. The only problem I'm seeing with mine is the right seems a touch too small. Fortunately the running store I went to has a 60 day "no questions asked" guarantee. Enjoy!

Sheila53
04-11-2007, 05:29 PM
I ran with a buddy for the first time ever. Enjoyed being able to chat with someone while we ran. I was a bit worried because I thought I might be too slow for her, but it turns out she's slower than I am. I'm not sure I like adjusting my pace downward since I want to be able to beat my times from last year. Maybe I can speed her up. :)

Sent in the registration form for my first 5K of the season, which is on April 28. Hoping the weather will cooperate.

NavyWifeDee
04-12-2007, 09:12 AM
Did a mile again last night. I think I will try to add to that tonight. I've got to get myself back up to over 2 miles like I was before I took a week off. But it was a relatively good mile, fairly fast for me.

ennay
04-13-2007, 10:57 AM
5 this morning. Got home, hit my watch and I was at 4.97 so I HAD to run up to the mailbox and back to get over the 5 mark. nuts. especially since the accuracy of the GPS is only about +/- 0.1 anyway

OOOOH the boston marathon looks like it is gonna be NASTY this year. Good thing I am slow and cant qualify :lol:

hikerchick
04-13-2007, 02:43 PM
Poppins that sounds like a good plan.

Ennay you run with a GPS unit?? How does that work? Is it a special runners gps or a regular old fashioned one?

Did 3 miles of Sprint/ jog or walks. Best day in weeks!!

stacylambert
04-13-2007, 02:59 PM
Did 2.5 on the track last night, broken up into 1.5, .5, and .5. I averaged about 12.2 min/mi which is pretty good for me. Need to work on endurance though. Holy cow was I puffin!

ennay
04-13-2007, 03:49 PM
Poppins that sounds like a good plan.

Ennay you run with a GPS unit?? How does that work? Is it a special runners gps or a regular old fashioned one?

Did 3 miles of Sprint/ jog or walks. Best day in weeks!!

Its a running one - Garmin Forerunner 301. It works really well for me since I mostly run in suburbs or country. They dont work particularly well in wooded areas (I run in a forest sometimes and lose signal) and I have heard if you run in the city with lots of tall buildings it is also a problem (although I've done races in downtown areas with no problem- maybe if you were in Manhattan or something). I've heard the next generation (205/305?) does a bit better, but still not in dense forest.

I love it because I dont have to measure my routes, I just go. Although I often do premeasure on gmaps first so I have an idea WHERE to go. But for my midweek runs I just kind of trot around the neighborhoods randomly.

YP1
04-13-2007, 04:54 PM
I'm lusting after a Garmin. Maybe I need to drop some hints for my birthday next month...

I've not been round here too much recently. Some of my recent runs have been a bit blah, and I was away at the weekend too. My mileage has been a bit down, but I dragged myself out for just under 17 miles this evening after work. I struggled a bit in the last couple of miles, partly due to a hill that I forgot about and I think partly because it had been a long day and I was hungry! I suppose it's still a good sign that a 17 mile run in 2:34 qualifies as a dodgy one compared to normal.

I entered the Amsterdam marathon last night. I promise I'll only do the two this year, a bit of rest after Edinburgh then back into training.

ennay
04-13-2007, 05:02 PM
:rofl: didya ever think you would see the day when you would describe running 17 that way? cripes you are speedy

YP1
04-13-2007, 05:18 PM
No - although even funnier than that was that they're running a "Triathlon Gym Challenge" at my gym. It's 1000m on the rower (instead of swimming), 4k bike and 1.5k run. I actually caught myself thinking that I could sprint the 1.5k run because it was really short. I remember at school the 1500 metres used to be a form of long drawn out torture I particularly dreaded, and now I think of it as a short fast one!

(Incidentally, I did the challenge in a couple of seconds over 20 minutes this morning, I'm planning to do it a couple more times informally before going for an officially timed version to put on the wallchart).

poppins3
04-13-2007, 05:45 PM
Second 3 mi run this morning. I'm really loving my new Mizunos. For the first run, they felt a bit strange (probably my socks too), but I think they are adequately broken in now!

ennay
04-14-2007, 03:24 PM
CRUD! I was all set to do a 10K race tomorrow, getting kind of jazzed about it and it was TODAY. darn darn darn. There arent that many races right here in my little town. Sucks to miss one

LisaMarie71
04-14-2007, 07:44 PM
I'm dying for a Garmin Forerunner, but that'll probably have to wait until birthday/Christmas (my b-day is in December).

Nice to be back, by the way. For the past week or so, I've been out of town without internet access. Here are the runs I managed to squeeze in (I've been in my hometown mostly, but also three days in a cabin in Tennessee):

Sat, 4/7 - 2.4 miles on my brother's crappy treadmill -- faster than normal
Sun, 4/8 - 4.8 miles at the park in my hometown while my husband ran a kazillion miles in the same amount of time :lol:
Nothing Monday, a long walk through the steep hills around the cabin on Tuesday, and nothing on Wednesday (eek)!
Thurs, 4/12 - 3.2 miles at the park
Fri, 4/13 - 3 miles at the park in 33:15 (which is pretty good for me)
nothing today!

I've been eating WAY too much while on Spring Break, and I really have to get back on track. I feel good about the fact that I still managed to run a few times this week. I was seriously CRAVING a run after those three days I went without.

Sheila53
04-14-2007, 10:00 PM
Welcome back, Lisa! I think you've done darn well on getting runs in. :bravo:

When you mentioned Garmin Forerunner, I had to see what my little thingie was, and it turns out it's a Garmin Forerunner 205. I like it a lot, although I have to be sure and run in a reasonably open area, which can be difficult in Oregon. The only 'problem' I've had with it is that after I upload the data, Microsoft Outlook gets a little wonky. I don't think that's the fault of the Garmin, though.

YP1
04-15-2007, 01:03 PM
I'm so excited. There's a chance that (whisper) I might be doing the New York marathon in November. There are a lot of details that still need to be sorted out, and I wouldn't be racing it (it's through a charity I'm involved with, and I'd be helping one of the disabled people it was set up to help get round the course), but I'm really really excited about the prospect.

No running today or yesterday, but I'll hopefully get some decent miles in tomorrow.

poppins3
04-15-2007, 01:49 PM
Yay, I just finished C25K!

Does that make me an official runner now? :)

ennay
04-15-2007, 02:23 PM
Oooh Helen....that is so cool. If I werent almost as far from NYC as you are now, I would come visit!

Poppins, you already were!

OY - TMI but I need to do kegels. I had a really awesome 10.26 miler today. Felt great, kept finding myself going faster than expected (the last 1.25 were sub 9:30 pace!!!) except that for the last 2 miles I kept peeing myself. I felt like my water broke all over again.

hikerchick
04-15-2007, 03:03 PM
Hi everone,

Had a good 5 mile run today. I really enjoy the weekends.

Oh ennay go do those kegels. If you can run that fast you can surely accomplish a few kegels now and then.

Poppins you have sounded like a runner for awhile now... congrats on completing the program.

Shiela how open does it need to be for the garmin to work. I'm at 2700 ft in the foothills of the sierra nevada mixed conifer forest. Not much open area.

Anyone know of a gis model that would work in a forested area or is the technology not there yet?

Ilene
04-15-2007, 07:30 PM
Ennay -- Thanks for the Kegel reminder :lol: ...

Poppins -- I agree you've been a runner for a while now...

Haven't run since last Sunday :eek: ... I can't believe it :faint: ... but I did buy new running shoes today ... I had Brook Ariels, I thought they were ok, they never gave me a problem but I felt that there was too much support in the arch and they were too heavy. So I tried some middles of the road support... Tried the Mizuno, didn't like them unfortunately, they just didn't feel right on my food... Tried Nike, nope, didn't like them... Tried, Asics, which my girl friend swears by, didn't like them either... It was a toss up between Pearl Izumi Shoes and Reebok Premier Road Plus and the Reebok won, I was disappointed because no one I know wears Reebok :lol: .... BUT for me they were the most comfortable, and that's what the guy kept saying to find the ones that give you that WOW factor when you put them on... So now I can't wait to try them even if it's on the treadmill tomorrow ...

shananigans
04-16-2007, 05:21 PM
Newbie here. Started dabbling in c25k last fall and just did my first 5k race last Sunday with a time of 32:31, Iím pretty pleased. :D Now I feel all official, like I can post on the runner forum. :lol: Anyway, just wanted to pop in and introduce myself. Look forward to gleaning loads of wisdom from you experienced running folk in here.

stacylambert
04-16-2007, 06:34 PM
I ran 30 minutes straight! I was very proud of myself. 12 minute pace which is good for me for that long. I'm definitely getting less and less worried about the 5K. I still have a month so I should be fine.

My husband's friend (they train together a lot) has a garmin and we're sooo jealous. Our anniversary is coming up in June along with my birthday so we might get one then. The one nice thing is where we run at the beach has mile markers painted for when they have the marathon. Which I won't be doing anytime soon by the way! :P

LisaMarie71
04-16-2007, 07:23 PM
poppins, I know how you feel -- I still hesitate to call myself a runner, even though I do it on a regular basis! It's just odd to define myself that way, after living a VERY unathletic life for nearly 35 years!

stacy, that's fantastic! I remember when I first ran 30 minutes straight -- that's a really big milestone, and once you hit it there's no stopping you!

shananigans, that's a great 5k time. I have my first 5k on Saturday (I recently did a 10k, which was my first race), and I'm just hoping to beat 35:00 or so. We'll see what happens.

Tonight I ran 5k on the treadmill in 34:40. I was really struggling because I feel like I'm coming down with something. I hope it goes away before my race Saturday!

Ilene
04-16-2007, 07:33 PM
shananigans -- congrats on your race that was great time!

Today I tried my new Reeboks on the dreadmill, because it snowed here through the night :rolleyes: ... I only did 2 miles but I was very confortable in my new Reeboks...

NESunshine
04-16-2007, 09:39 PM
Hey ladies...
Well I started just a couple of weeks ago...and was ready to move onto week 2 then I came down (well my whole office came down with actually) this horrible spring illness...which hasn't been aided by the terrible weather happening in my part of the world...my town's pretty underwater :o . Anyway I'm on the ups again and hoping to see the sun at some point this week and decided since I wasn't too deep into it I decided I would just repeat week 1, so tomorrow I'll be starting that again... I clocked the mileage going around the lake next to my house and its just about 2 miles so I'll be run walking that... I'm very excited...this will be my first trek outside instead of on the treadmill! I really can't wait... I hate being sick and out of commission! I'm itching to get back to it!

LisaMarie71
04-17-2007, 08:02 PM
I did 5 miles tonight at a slooooow pace. Took me an hour and three minutes. I think I'm getting slower! I struggled tonight -- my legs got REALLY tired.

hikerchick
04-17-2007, 08:11 PM
Had a good run today. Had to wake up ridiculously early to do it though and I have been walking around in a daze all day. But at least I got the run in.

shananigans
04-18-2007, 10:38 AM
Hiker Ė I wish I could run early in the AM, or do anything early at all actually. I have just come to accept that I canít count on myself to get out of bed so I just plan to do my workouts in the evening. But it would be really nice to get it out of the way before I start the day.

Lisa Ė I am so looking forward to the day I can do 5 miles at all, even slowly. Good for you, I know how hard it is when you feel like your legs are just done. But you finished! :high:

Iím hoping to try out a new 3 mile route tonight. Itís been rainy, I hope the arboretum isnít too muddy.

Do any of you run with your dogs? My dog is my running buddy and as it gets warmer and Iím able to run further distances Iím worried that heíll need water breaks along the way, how do you guys carry water on your runs? Iíd like to get a CamelBak for myself eventually, but my dog canít drink out of one of those. Just wondering if any of you have a handy solution for this.

poppins3
04-18-2007, 11:24 AM
3 miles today. The woman on the treadmill next to me wanted to chat, and I was able to hold a conversation the entire time. Plus, it made my run go by so quickly.

I'm still completely in awe of my body. Two months ago, I would *never* have been able to run 3 miles!!

hikerchick
04-18-2007, 01:17 PM
Shananagins,

I wish my dog would run with me. He follows me down the driveway and lies IN THE MIDDLE OF THE ROAD with his BELLY in the air and watches me pass him.

If I give him a big cheer "come on boy lets go come on" he will stand up walk 3 feet and lie down again.

If you are in the country and can run with a dog off of a leash they usually find water. However I am not sure what to do in the city. I had a friend whose dog would drink out of her hand (she would pour water from her bottle) mine would never do this.

ennay
04-18-2007, 01:41 PM
My friend who runs with her dog carries one of those small collapsing bowls and pours water from her camelbak into it.

YP1
04-18-2007, 04:02 PM
I wish I had a dog to run with, but I'm not around enough to look after it.

I feel like I'm struggling at the moment. I did about 10.5 miles tonight (just over 3 from work to running club, then just over 7 with them), and it felt like a struggle... but then I looked at my speed and it wasn't actually too bad. I hope it's just because I've been eating rubbish for the past fortnight and I'll get back to normal now I'm eating properly again.

Hopefully I'll be running into work tomorrow, I've left some clothes at the gym to change into. It's a nice easy run, 5 miles downhill!

YP1
04-18-2007, 04:26 PM
I've just noticed - I've run 500.5 miles so far this year!

shananigans
04-18-2007, 05:23 PM
Yeah, I was meaning to get one of those collapsible bowls for him, forgot all about it! Found this of the REI site. http://www.rei.com/product/753131?vcat=REI_SSHP_PICNIC_TOC Looks pretty dandy, but Iím not sure where I would clip it on though, I donít wear a belt when running. He does have a backpack, I could just make him carry his own water, but Iíd be making him work a whole lot harder. :devil:

YP1 Ė You sound like quite the distance queen. Anyone who calls a 5 mile run ďeasyĒ must be. ;) 500 miles in 3 Ĺ months? Iíll be thrilled if I run that much all year!

poppins3
04-18-2007, 07:30 PM
Get ready to be jealous: :devil:

Just discovered I can get a Garmin Forerunner with some points I've collected. (Either that or an iPod Nano, among many other less interesting things..)

nomorefatpants
04-18-2007, 10:32 PM
I just got a garmin forerunner :) They have a $50 mail in rebate and the price on Amazon is WAY less than the retail price at the Garmin store and on their website. I can't wait to try it out :)

YP1
04-19-2007, 03:45 AM
I did my 5 miles this morning. It's fine when it's downhill (well, there are a couple of short gentle hills but nothing to get worried about). I'm having a break from running tomorrow then I can do my long run on Saturday.

shananigans
04-19-2007, 02:52 PM
Had a good 3 miles last night. Cool and a slight drizzle, perfect running conditions. Mostly uphill on the way back, great for those glutes. Gotta do more hamstring strength training, they've been feeling neglected lately. :p

Hoping to get a state park pass this weekend to I can train run on the weekends all summer. Can't wait!

What is a garmin forerunner? I am obviously a complete newbie.

YP1 Ė How long is your ďlong runĒ?

My iPod is having issues. Iíll probably have to send it in for repair. :(

YP1
04-19-2007, 02:56 PM
A garmin is a GPS system that measures your run, some of them have HRMs too.

My long run will hopefully be somewhere between 20 and 22, although I'll probably take anything over 18 depending how I feel on the day.

NESunshine
04-19-2007, 07:58 PM
well the weather here is drying up here finally! I took it outside for the first time yesterday and let me tell you I can feel the difference today! I did the c25k week one pod cast on that 2 mile loop around the lake near my house...the distance actually fit perfectly with the recording so that was nice, today though I've got jello legs! I suppose there is nothing to do but stretch really well and hit the pavement again tomorrow! My assumption is it will take my body a solid couple of weeks to adjust to the new atmosphere and type of exercise. Being at the very beginning of this its so hard for me to imagine the distances that you ladies run! I can't wait until I can do that!

LisaMarie71
04-19-2007, 08:45 PM
NESunshine, you're soooo close to Onederland -- that's wonderful!!

Today I did 3.1 miles on the treadmill, and I finished in 33:00, which is my best time so far for that distance. It was my last run before my 5k Saturday. I'm thinking I'll be able to beat 35:00, which is my goal, but who knows? I've never done an actual 5k, and I don't know what the course is like or anything. Plus, my sister-in-law may want us to run the whole thing together and she may either slow me down or make me go faster -- I have no idea! I'll report back here, of course. :)

Ilene
04-20-2007, 12:05 AM
Good luck Lisa Marie on your race ...

shananigans -- Here's a good site to measure your runs, www.mapmyrun.com ... just put your area or postal code in and you're in your town...

Ilene
04-20-2007, 12:12 AM
It's :sunny: out and I finally ran this week to and from the gym, only 5k but it felt good,

WindyCityChick
04-20-2007, 12:50 AM
Yay - it's finally getting nice here too. Ran 6 miles this morning, and felt like I could go another 6 if I didn't have to get to work.

AnneWonders
04-20-2007, 09:06 AM
Just got back from Boston where DH did the marathon. The weather turned out to be almost OK instead of the really awful stuff they were predicting. 45 and a little drizzly, which I would have found unpleasant, but that is just about perfect for him. I'm so impressed with everyone who runs that race. It is amazing to watch the pro women run.

My only run this last week was going to be a 1.5 out to this lovely bridge on the ocean near my SIL's place, walk on the bridge and run back. I got out, but getting back was a challenge. Later that day I found out why--got slammed with a really nasty GI illness and spent the rest of the vacation in the bathroom. Ah well, feeling better now.

Anne

shananigans
04-20-2007, 12:05 PM
Anne Ė Yikes! Glad youíre feeling better now.

Ilene Ė I got a mapmyrun.com account earlier this week. Iíve been using it to map various 3 mile routes in my neighborhood, very handy!

Lisa Marie Ė Good luck with your 5k tomorrow! I did my first last Saturday, my goal was also 35 min and I was quite pleased to get under 33. I enjoyed it so much I think Iíll do the Komen Race for the Cure on June 2. My goal for that is under 30.

YP1
04-21-2007, 08:51 AM
Good Luck Lisa Marie!

I did another 20 miler this morning. Well, a bit short, but not far off considering I was guessing a route that might get me to about the right mileage. It was mainly cross country type stuff, and had some nasty hills in it so I'm quite pleased to do it in 3:08. i really noticed how much more I drink when it's warmer - the last time I did 20 miles I drank about half the water in my bottle - this time I finished it off, had to buy more at 18 miles and had finished all that by the time I got home.

Now I can relax all weekend and watch FLM in bed tomorrow morning without feeling like I'm skiving a run ;)

LisaMarie71
04-21-2007, 12:49 PM
I typed a longer message about my 5k this morning and my computer ate it, so here's the short version:

I finished it in 31:19! Woohoo!! That's much better than I thought I would do. It's about an average of a 10-minute mile pace, which is something I'm never usually able to maintain for long. My sister-in-law and I ran it together the whole time, just like we did the 10k a few weeks ago. It was so much fun, and I think I'm addicted to running races now! We placed 3rd in our age group, but that's because there were only about 5 or 6 people our age! The top runner for our age finished in about 28 minutes, so we'll pretty much win our division next year. :lol:

YP1
04-21-2007, 02:54 PM
That's fantastic, well done! So, what's next?

HeavensAngela
04-21-2007, 03:08 PM
Hey all! I would love to become a 'runner'! Is there a certain plan you all are following? How do i get started? TIA!

LisaMarie71
04-21-2007, 03:11 PM
Thanks, Helen! Next is a 5k on May 12 (the Race for the Cure). After that, I'll start seriously training for the Rock-n-Roll Half Marathon in Virginia Beach, which is September 3. That one scares me quite a bit, but I'm perfectly ok with walking some of it! I found a 16-week training plan online that looks like it might help, and I'm already running 4 or 5 times a week anyway. I know there will be a few other 5ks that pop up before then, so I may take advantage of those as well. I'm planning to do a couple in October. It's so much fun!

A friend just called to ask if my husband and I want to join a running group he's starting, and we'll be doing Sunday runs. It sounds good because we'll get to branch out and run in some new locations, but I hate to be the slowest person there. I can't even see my husband running with a group because he's too speedy! He says his hips hurt if he runs too slow, because it feels awkward. :lol:

hikerchick
04-21-2007, 03:12 PM
Lisa that is so great. You are inspiring.

Today was a drag myself out of bed day. It took me so long to get outside. I decided I needed music (I never run with music) and the only thing I have is a cheap old walkman tape player that my husband uses for audio lectures.

The only tape I had was a reallllllllly old Bob Dylan tape when he was in the Woody Guthrie folky mode, NOT the best workout tape but amazingly enough it got me through the run today. I have got to get an ipod and some more upbeat running music.

So it was an odd day. But I ran 5 miles in about an hour which is really good for me...especially when the rest of life is burning me out. Nothing serious just kids. Motherhood can sometimes be exhausting.

YP1
04-21-2007, 03:22 PM
Ah music... Today my iPod battery died after about 14 miles, the last hour nearly killed me! I only listen to music when I run alone, but when I am alone I need it to keep me going. My own fault though, I hadn't charged it all week and knew it was low but didn't have time to charge it before going out.

Lisa - a half in September is achievable. I had 5 months between my first 10k and my first half, and managed to run all of the half (which is more than I managed in my first 5k or 10k!). You've got plenty of time to work up to it.

HeavensAngela - Couch to 5k is a good way to start, most beginners plans will do a good job though, the general theme being to build up slowly with a run/walk approach over several weeks until you can run for about 30 minutes. After that, the world is your oyster.

WindyCityChick
04-22-2007, 10:16 AM
Wow Lisa, you are becoming a racing queen! I'm very proud of you.

Heavensangela, there's a great program at coolrunning.com called the "Couch to 5K" program that will take you gradually from very short runs to a 5K distance. That's how I started running, as well as lots of other folks around here, and it gets high marks.

Well, it's an unbelievably beautiful Sunday, so I think I'm off to run 10.5 miles.

LisaMarie71
04-22-2007, 02:54 PM
Thanks, Rachel!

It's a beautiful day here too, so I did a long run -- 7 miles! That's the longest I've ever done, and my husband scolded me a little because he said I should've taken it easy today after yesterday's race. I did take it somewhat easy, though, because I was slow and I took a few walk breaks in the last 3 miles. It took me nearly an hour and a half to do the 7 miles! I hate walk breaks, because I still have that notion that I didn't REALLY run 7 miles if I walked a little, but I'm getting over that. I think I'll have to get over it in order to build my distance to train for the half marathon.

hikerchick
04-23-2007, 11:43 AM
Yesterday I was determined to get an mp3 player but the stores were closed. Then today I went out and did 3 miles with no music. But instead the birds were singing and nature was making all sorts of wonderful noises. Still I am going to get one for those times when I need to "rock out".

Finally figured out what "map my run" thinks is my road (the names are all wrong). It is .52 miles so I was right about my distance. Kind of comforting that I wasn't grossly underestimating my runs. I am thinking about venturing off into the great world. but there are cars and such and unfamiliar dogs all sorts of dangers. We shall see.

Today was a tired dragging day but I am beginning to realize that I am getting better at my "tired days". They are becoming more and more like "regular" runs.

shananigans
04-23-2007, 01:30 PM
Lisa - congrats on the 5k! That's a great time. I'm thinking about doing Race for the Cure as well, June 2 in my town. I can definitely see how races could become addictive. A half marathon sounds a little too intimidating for me right now, I just started doing 3 mile runs 3 or 4 times a week. Good luck with your training, I'm sure you can do it!

Just a quick run at the state park this weekend (maybe 2 mi?), hoping to get out for another run tonight.

YP1
04-23-2007, 04:35 PM
10.1 miles tonight. I actually saw a deer as I ran along the canal, almost in the middle of the city. I couldn't believe it!

LisaMarie71
04-23-2007, 06:31 PM
I ran two miles near my school but I got hot and felt tired, probably because I did a long run yesterday. My stomach was acting a bit weird too, so I cut it short and came inside the gym to do 40 minutes on the elliptical.

shananigans
04-24-2007, 03:23 PM
Had a delightful run last night, lots of ducks and geese out on the pond. The big hill climb at the end really makes me feel like I'm getting a good bit of strength training at the same time, I love that, makes me feel all efficient. :D

Taking the day off from cardio aside from the usual dog walk in the park. Gotta do some ab and upper body work, maybe some Pilates.

Lisa - Sometimes my stomach disagrees with running, I find it very difficult to run with any food in me actually. I find it's best for me to have a snack maybe 3 hours before I run and then nothing till about an hour after. I guess digestion takes a lot of energy and your body's resources, so I guess that makes sense. Do you eat right before you run? I miss having access to an elliptical, running is great, and I really started doing it because it's so convenient and I don't need a gym to do it, but the elliptical is so much gentler on my body and I feel like I can do a lot more intense cardio work on it than I can while running.

LisaMarie71
04-24-2007, 05:57 PM
shananigans, I usually have a very small snack about an hour before I run. If I don't, I don't have enough energy, and if I have anything TOO close to the run, I feel sick. I was just sick in general yesterday, I think.

I think my body is mad at me. My run yesterday was not so great, and today I did 2 miles on the treadmill and then my body just sort of crashed. I slowed to a walk for 1/4 mile, then did another 1/4 mile running before walking the rest and cooling down with 15 minutes on the recumbent bike, just so I felt like I'd done something more. I had pain in my right hip, down into my thigh, and a bit of pain in the inside of my right knee. I think I overdid it on the weekend, with the race on Saturday and the 7-mile run on Sunday. Tomorrow and Thursday, I'll be taking classes at the gym and taking a break from running. Ouchie, my hip!! :(

Ilene
04-24-2007, 06:03 PM
I agree LisaMarie, you need a bit of a break from all this running...

Today ran a nice 8k at my usual :snail: pace, too me 58 mins :D....

AnneWonders
04-24-2007, 10:22 PM
LisaMarie, I sometimes have runs like that right before I get sick. Get lots of rest, just in case.

Anne

YP1
04-25-2007, 07:21 AM
I ran the long way into work this morning - 12 miles at spot on 9 minute mile pace which I was pretty pleased with. I quite like it when I'm organised enough to do that (I had to pack my bag with today's clothes and food on Monday evening to get everything in the right place), as I'd have to travel into work anyway, and it gives me a nice mid length run done before breakfast. The first 5 or 6 miles is along roads, but after that it's mainly off road which is far nicer than sitting on a bus!

Lisa Marie - make sure you don't overdo it!

Sheila53
04-25-2007, 01:18 PM
Well, I was quite excited to actually run more than 3.1 miles today. I did 3.15. :D Hey, it's those little victories that are so satisfying. And 3.15 will become 3.2, and so on and so on. I hope.

LisaMarie71
04-25-2007, 05:24 PM
Yay, Sheila!

I'm not running today, and I even decided not to work out at all (gasp!) because I have some serious pain behind my right knee. I'm pretty worried about it because I really don't want some kind of injury that will keep me from running! It was so weird to come straight home instead of going to the gym or putting on running clothes and heading out.

ennay
04-26-2007, 12:31 PM
Finally feel like I am getting back on track.. 6.25 today.

YP1
04-26-2007, 03:05 PM
I was out last night so didn't work out this morning. I ran home from work instead, another 5 miles. I prefer running in in the morning though to running home, I was constantly having to dodge pedestrians and cars, and in the morning it's mainly downhill rather than up!

hikerchick
04-28-2007, 12:01 PM
Yesterday's run was on a "day after a lower body workout" so I planned to do 2 miles and was able to do 2.5 and then had a debilitating headache all day (not related to the run I think it was allergies)

Anyhow in a perfect world I would alternate weight lifting days with run days and so I am happy that this is becoming more doable for me. Yay for that.

Allergies have been bad and I think that is why I have been feeling an underlying malaise all week. Finally dawned on me yesterday. Glad I am not just shutting down for no reason and glad I was able to push through.

Enjoy your weekend runs everyone!

ennay
04-28-2007, 12:14 PM
I ran I think 4.7 yesterday so overall a good week, rest day today and then 13 tomorrow Hopefully I get to bed at a decent hour tonight.

LisaMarie71
04-28-2007, 01:03 PM
I couldn't run Wednesday and Thursday because of the pain behind my knee, and then I didn't get a chance to run yesterday (though I took a bodysculpting class, so that's good). During my break, the pain behind my right knee was replaced by this weird pain on top of my left foot. It hurts pretty bad to flex my foot. It's sort of the top of my ankle area, off to the right a bit. I tried running today and I got through 2 miles but it hurt and it's still hurting now.

Does anyone have any ideas what that pain could be?

YP1
04-28-2007, 01:38 PM
Hmm, no idea, sorry.

I'm not really running this weekend. I'm doing a charity walk tomorrow, the main bit of the walk is apparently about 21 miles (it's more a getting from one place to another walk rather than something that's properly measured), but I'm also doing an extra 5 or 6 to get from the end where I'm going to park to the place where I can get the bus to the start. I may well run or jog that first leg, depending how much stuff I'm carrying (and if it's enough food to keep me going through 26 miles, that might be quite a lot ;) )

So I decided that as I'm effectively doing a marathon distance tomorrow, even if it's mainly walking, I wouldn't run today. Except I wanted to go to the shop, missed the bus and realised that instead of waiting 20 minutes for the next one, it would be quicker if I jogged down there. I had some old (retired) running shoes on anyway, so I decided to just set off. It was probably a bit over 2 miles, but I've not measured or recorded it as a proper run.

Hopefully the walk won't take too much out of me and I'll be OK to go to running club on Monday.

Sheila53
04-28-2007, 05:06 PM
I'm betting you'll run a good chunk of it, Helen. Probably just can't help yourself! :)

Race season started for me today. I was a bit disappointed because I had to take two walk breaks, so my time was 37 minutes and 1 second. It's weird because this is a course that I run once a week, and I can always run 5K. But I think I don't pace myself correctly when I get in the midst of a crowd of people. Gotta figure out how to do that better. Hopefully by the fall, I'll be able to reach my goal of 35 minutes or less.

YP1
04-29-2007, 01:35 AM
I'll definitely be walking the main section because we're doing it as a group and the others don't want to run. Unless I can persuade them...

Pacing in a race can be tricky sometimes. Once in the middle of marathon training last year I had to take walk breaks in a 10k. I think it's one of those things that comes with experience. I'm sure you'll hit that 35 minute goal soon.

ennay
04-29-2007, 10:06 AM
mapping out my run this morning...the girl I am training with for the half wants 13 under her belt and this is our last long run. funny how things change - if it were just me I would head out and as long as it ended up 12-14 I wouldnt worry. but I remember when if the schedule said 13, then I would go 13.0 as close as possible

hikerchick
04-29-2007, 01:27 PM
Great run alert.

Just got my new Ipod shuffle and I have died and gone to heaven. I got it all loaded up and I go out the door and its Crosby Stiils and Nash "Everybody I love you" and the machine says to me "know you got to run" and I sprint out my door and didn't stop. 6.5 miles at least probably more. Woooooooo Hooo.

I am a happy little runner today!

Have a great weekend all and enjoy your marathon walk Helen.

ennay
04-29-2007, 10:09 PM
ended up being a very tough 13.2 headwind much of the way.

YP1
04-30-2007, 03:51 AM
Talk to me about headwind. I didn't run as much of the first 6 as I was hoping because it was into a very strong wind, then walked all of the other leg rather than running. Just as we were tiring right at the end we got back to the windy spot and it nearly killed me. It was a lovely day while the sun was out but I swear we nearly got hypothermia on that last leg.

Still, no blisters this morning and a swim has sorted my legs out nicely.

LisaMarie71
04-30-2007, 04:05 PM
Well, I had the athletic trainer at my school look at my foot, because it hasn't got any better. In fact, it feels worse today. She says it's most likely tendonitis in that top tendon on the foot, and now there's swelling there so I suppose she's right. It hurts just to touch it, or to flex my foot, or to do anything really. She said I should swim, but I don't know how, sadly, so I'm just going to take a few more days off from running and ice it as much as I can.

This makes me sad!! Ugh!!! :(