LA Weight Loss - ~Fiber Fanatics~ April

View Full Version : ~Fiber Fanatics~ April

Bobbolink
04-01-2007, 07:18 AM
We welcome everyone with tips, recipes, support and general conversation. Wed love to hear how the boosting of fiber has helped you consistently lose weigh. We'll report our fiber count daily or weekly, whatever works best for you.

If your goal is to lose body fat, increasing your fiber intake can help in three ways:

The typical adult consumes less than 20 grams of fiber per day. This is about 50% of the recommended amount of dietary fiber for good health.Eat Fiber to Lose Body Fat.

1. High fiber foods can help control appetite by reducing insulin levels in the blood, a hormone that stimulates appetite.
2. The body uses more energy to digest and absorb high fiber foods than refined or low fiber foods. Burns more calories!
3. High fiber foods are filling but are low in fat (many fat free)

High-fiber foods:

:) Generally require more chewing time giving your body time to register when you're no longer hungry, so you're less likely to overeat.

:)Tends to make a meal feel larger and linger longer, so you stay full for a greater amount of time.

:) Less "energy dense," which means they have fewer calories for the same volume of food.

:) Speeding up the time it takes food to pass through the large intestines, thereby diluting toxic and carcinogenic compounds

:) Helpful for those who want to lose weight, since fiber absorbs water so you feel full and satisfied throughout the day.

:) Can help improve your eating habits, which can lead to weight loss and more energy!

Bobbolink
04-01-2007, 07:40 AM
Good Morning!
My calories yesterday were too low and I know it. But sometimes that happens with me. What I did eat was very balanced and hit all the food groups, I just didn't eat enough.
Calories...915
Fiber... 49 grams
Welcome Silverrose, Real food like fruits, vegetables and beans are very important and a great way to get your fiber in. But you'd have to eat a ton of it for maximun fiber. If you don't want to eat the high fiber cereals, maybe you should look in supplements. I love Fiber One myself but I think there are some cereals out there with no added sugar or HFCS. I'm sure someone on this post will be able to tell you which ones.

This is my 1st post here. I try to get at least 35 g fiber each day. I usually do thanks to high fiber cereals.
I do question though if I am getting enough of soluable and insoluable? ANd if this is the ebst way to get the fiber..Would eating lots of veggies and fruits and beans be better? Or some combination?
Anyway look forward to learning more from everyone.
Also I am trying to find a high fiber cereal with no added sweetners or HFCS. Natural sweeteners are ok if a small amount..

Gina... Have you tried the All-Bran snack crackers? I have them at noon with my vegetable soup, really good. Let me know how you make out with your 15 day colonse cleanse. That seems extreme to me but I'm new to this kind of cleansing. I'm thinking you'll probably have lots of energy after ridding your body of all the toxins. I purchased a bottle of "Body Rescue" a few months ago and it's still in my cupboards, maybe I'll dig it out and try it.
Catch ya all later.... Bobbi

silverose1209
04-02-2007, 12:49 AM
Aww..Thanks for the welcome..:) I am not opposed to high fiber cereals..Just want to make sure I do things the most healthful way for my body.

GinaXOXO
04-03-2007, 12:43 AM
Hi! I will try the crackers. Thank you for the tip!

So far the cleanse is going well. I can't tell a difference. That is good because it makes me believe that it really is gentle.

I am doing well with Weight Watchers Wendie plan. I have been on program for 4 days without a lot of struggle.

The other night I did something "interesting". I went to my meeting and as we were leaving there was a seminar for hypnosis setting up. Both of my parents smoke and both have talked about trying a hypnotist for help. So, my sister and I called them. It was really fun to do that together. It was my Mom, Dad, Sister, Niece, and myself. I wasn't sure if I liked the session and really didn't think I ever went under. I am certain that my Dad and niece went under because of some tests the hypnotist did.

Anyway, my Mom and Dad haven't smoked for 4 days. That is fantastic!! A couple of girls who went also quit . . . one tried to smoke yesterday and said that it tasted awful and she put it out after one puff.

I have had an easier time with the program since then. It could be a coincidence. I really didn't go for myself. My Sister and I went to support our parents. If it ended up giving me a little boost then it is a really great bonus.

Gina

Bobbolink
04-03-2007, 08:57 AM
Good Morning!
Yesterday's calories were 1,185 and Fiber @ 57 grams.

Silverose... did you ever find some printable work-out sheets. I see some people posted some web sites but I haven't checked them out yet.
Gina... So far the cleanse is going well. I can't tell a difference. That is good because it makes me believe that it really is gentle. Yesterday I received a spring "Swanson" Health Products magazine and on the cover in huge lettering is the following;
Norway's Colon Health Secret:Dr. Bjodne Eskeland's Colon Tone....The world's first oxygen-based colon cleanser. Inside is a two page article about it. You have spurred me on to sending for the tablets. I'm wondering about something, this doctor said the majority of people spend years accumulating deposits of mucoid plaques on their colon walls. I don't think "majority" is correct. I had a colonoscopy last week and the walls of my colon are free of plaque but I'm going to order it anyway to keep it in good working order. This doctor advocates natural means to achieve good health so I'm going for it.
Why did you go in for hypnosis? Are you a smoker too? Hug your parents for me, I'm so happy to hear it's working for them.

Have a good one, Bobbi

Bobbolink
04-03-2007, 05:45 PM
Sneaking in Fiber
By: Reader's Digest

1. Eat cereal every day for breakfast. Ideally, aim for a whole grain, unsweetened cereal with at least 4 grams of fiber a serving. Just eating any cereal might be enough, however. Healthy, high-fiber cereals you might want to consider include Kellogg's All-Bran Original, Kashi GOLEAN, and Kellogg's Raisin Bran.
2. Eat two apples every day. Not just to keep the doctor away, but because apples are a good source of pectin, a soluble fiber that contributes to a feeling of fullness and digests slowly.
3. Make a yogurt mix every Wednesday for breakfast. Take one container of yogurt and mix in 1/3 cup All-Bran cereal, 1 tablespoon ground flaxseeds, and 5 large, diced strawberries for a whopping 12.2 grams of fiber--nearly half your daily allowance!
4. Make baby carrots and broccoli florets dipped into low-fat ranch dressing your afternoon snack three days a week. You'll fill up the empty afternoon space in your tummy while getting about 5 grams of fiber in each cup of veggies.
5. Keep a container of gorp in your car and office for the munchies. Mix together peanuts, raisins, a high-fiber cereal like All-Bran, and some chocolate covered soy nuts. Allow yourself one handful for a sweet, yet high-fiber, snack.

6. Switch to whole grain crackers. You'd never think a tiny cracker can make a difference, but one regular whole wheat cracker has 1/2 gram of fiber. Ten crackers give you 5 grams of fiber. So next time, spread your peanut butter on whole grain crackers (l
7. Mix your regular cereal with the high-test stuff. Okay, we'll be honest. We wouldn't want to face an entire bowl of All-Bran either. But just 1/3 cup packs a walloping 8.5 grams of fiber. Mix it with an equal amount of Apple Cinnamon Cheerios and you'll barely know it's there (but you will be one-third of the way to your daily fiber intake).
8. Add kidney beans or chickpeas to your next salad. A quarter cup adds an additional 5 grams of dietary fiber.
9. Make sure that the first ingredient in whole grain products has the word "whole" in it, as in "whole wheat," or "whole grain." If it says multi-grain, seven-grain, nutra-grain, cracked wheat, stone-ground wheat, unbromated wheat or enriched wheat, it's not whole wheat, and thus is lacking some of the vitamins and minerals, not to mention fiber, of whole grains.
10. Every week, try one "exotic" grain. How about amaranth, bulgur, or wheatberries? Most are as simple to fix as rice, yet packed with fiber and flavor. Mix in some steamed carrots and broccoli, toss with olive oil and a bit of Parmesan or feta cheese.

silverose1209
04-03-2007, 09:36 PM
Bobbi,
I have found some..Some that were listed and a couple of others. I will post links to those sites later on..:)
I think I ended up with about 40 g fiber yesterday..And I actually got a lot from things other than the high fiber cereal..:)

Bev
04-04-2007, 01:41 AM
Hi everyone,

Yes I am still here. I have had sick kids the last week so I have not been around much.

Gina, I must have missed the post where you were trying the Wendie Plan. How do you like it? Was Fiber35 not working for you?
My mom went under hypnosis to quit smoking, It worked for her. My husband also went. He just exchange one type of nicatone for a different type. So I would say it didn't work for him.

I have looking for the crackers here but I can't find them anywhere. Hopefully they will show up soon.

well it is way passed my bedtime.

bev

Bobbolink
04-04-2007, 11:44 AM
Good Morning!

Yesterday's calories... 1,224
Fiber... 51 grams
My menu was pretty much the same except for supper. DH wanted Chocolate Chip pancakes and sausage. I made them with Bisquick lite mix, only made enough for him. I didn't want to waste my calories on chocolate chips so I made myself 3 slices of cinnamon french toast and only ate 1/2 of a sausage patty. I couldn't force myself to eat the whole thing, (140 calories) besides that, it was greasy even after I patted the fat off it. Yuk!
I think this thread is on it's way out. I thought it was a good idea and really wanted to hear from all the peope that keep their fiber levels up. I also wanted idea's for recipes using high fiber foods. Guess I'll try looking in the food sections, I totally ignore those threads for some reason.
Gina... Maybe you should try a Fiber35 thread, you might have more luck with it since it's an actual diet plan.

See ya, Bobbi

GinaXOXO
04-04-2007, 12:48 PM
Hey Bobbi! I am not ready to give up yet!! Even if it is just the 4 of us I think we can take this journey together (now I sound like one of the women on the bachelor!!).

My cleanse is going well. I am taking the pills as directed. Let me know how your cleanse goes.

Thank you for all of the ways to get extra fiber!! In the morning I always have oatmeal. This morning I had two servings (2 extra WW points) because I felt extra hungry and I knew that I would not be able to hand in there until dinner. Do you ever have those days??

Bev I am glad your kids feel better. I am still doing the fiber 35 but I was going a little crazy with excessive calories. I started the Wendie plan to keep my calories down. Also, I like the way the Wendie plan fluctuates the calories to keep my body guessing. It is going pretty well so far. How are you doing??

zenor77
04-04-2007, 02:46 PM
Silverrose~ I'm not sure if you've found this one, but I like Uncle Sam cereal. One serving has 10g of fiber and it has around 1g of sugar per serving (which comes from barley malt.) I try to stay away from HFCS and artifical sweetners too.

Bev
04-04-2007, 04:54 PM
Hi, I hope everyone is doing well. So far today I have had 35 grams of fiber.

Gina, I have used the Wendie plan before. I like how the points change. I really need to figure out how to control my excess calories. I think I like food way too much.

It is too bad that the board has not caught on with more people. I will be staying so whether it be 4 or 2 of us.

bev

zenor77
04-04-2007, 05:12 PM
Hey, don't give up just yet Bobbi! Some people are like me (lazy.) I kept meaning to come visit this thread and I forgot. So here I am.:D

I put in everything I plan on eating today (in fitday) and my fiber should be over 50 grams. I followed the plan thru lunch; we'll see how I do for the rest of the day.

Increasing my fiber really has helped the weight come off faster! I was down three more lbs yesterday and it was still off this morning, so I'm counting it!

Lolene
04-05-2007, 02:48 PM
I haven't bought the Fiber35 Diet book yet, but I do try to add more fiber and have bought the Fiber One Cereal as many of you suggested. Are there certain foods not allowed on the Fiber35 diet? I haven't been able to find many reviews on it. Is there a separate forum on the Fiber 35 diet?

Just wondering what everyone's take is on it before I just go and buy another diet book.

Thanks ,

Lolene

Bobbolink
04-05-2007, 05:46 PM
Yesterday's calories were 1,218 and fiber 38 grams for the day. Fiber was low because I only had one serving of Fiber one.
I made these muffins this afternoon, pretty good!

All-Bran Muffins
cup plus 2 Tablespoons white flour
cup plus 2 Tablespoons whole wheat flour
cup Splenda (I'm going to add 3/4 cup next time)
teaspoon salt
1 Tablespoon baking powder
2 cups All-Bran (original or buds)
1 1/4cup Light Vanilla soy milk
2 egg whites
cup applesauce, unsweetened
Stir together flour, sugar, baking powder and salt, set aside.
In large mixing bowl, combine All-Bran cereal and soy milk. Let stand about 2 minutes or until cereal softens. Add egg whites and applesauce, beat well.
Add flour mixture, stirring only until combined.
Portion evenly into twelve muffin pan cups coated with cooking spray.
Bake at 400 degrees about 20 minute or until golden brown.
12 muffins @ 85 calories each and 4 grams of fiber.
This is the original recipe I took off the All~Bran site with a few moderations. I cut many calories out by using part whole wheat flour, applesauce instead of oil, soy milk instead of ff milk, egg whites instead of a whole egg. These turned out very good, they might have raised higher if Id used all white flour but I wanted them higher in fiber. Oh I forgot, the original recipe called for real sugar too!

Bobbolink
04-06-2007, 09:49 AM
Good Morning!
I made the All~Bran muffins yesterday and they turned out pretty good considering the substitues I used. Next time I'll make them a tad sweeter. They sure boosted my fiber!
Yesterday's calories....1,150 and fiber... 74 grams. You'd think I would be in the bathroom all morning today, but nope!
UPS delivered my colon cleanse yesterday and I started on it. The instructions has two phases, Phase one is to take 2 tablets twice a day with water in the morning and 2 more tablets with water in the evening for two weeks. Then phase two is 1 tablet each evening with water thereafter for maintenance purposes. We'll see.
Have a great Easter everyone, tomorrow I'm working at our towns Easter Egg hunt and games inside the church. It's going to be cooooooooooooold, Brrrrr!

zenor77
04-06-2007, 02:45 PM
Happy Easter everyone! I'm out of town until Sunday night (with no access to a computer :( .) I'm going to write everything down and update everyone when I get back. We are taking cereal and fruit with us, so hopefully I can get all my fiber in.

GinaXOXO
04-09-2007, 03:27 AM
I didn't eat right today but I am going to forget about it and make sure to eat fewer calories and more fiber tomorrow to make up for it. It was a lot of salty food so I am going to stay off the scale.

Bobbi: I can't wait to hear about the cleanse. I really can't see any differences with my color cleanse.

Bev: I am glad you are still here and sticking with it. I really think I like food too much also. I am doing so much better though so I think I will get past the food struggles. I just need to be patient and consistent.

Gina

Bobbolink
04-09-2007, 10:13 AM
Good Morning!
I took a two day vacation on calorie counting, I'm sure I was under 1200 on Saturday. Sunday I ate a tiny bit of everything including a slice of Lemon merange pie. I made those cute little coconut nests with 6 jelly beans in each for our place setting, I ate mine then preceded to eat my grandsons since he didn't want it. This morning my scale was up about a pound but we had ham yesterday and everyone knows how salty that is. I sent home with my grandsons all the extra candy that wouldn't fit in their Easter baskets. (Not that I would be tempted, candy isn't anything I'd waste my calories on)
Gina... I started my 5th day on the colon cleanse and I haven't noticed any difference in my regular B.M's. I just had a colonoscopy a couple of weeks ago and maybe I have nothing left to "cleanse" other than my daily food intake? The instructions are to swallow two tablets in the morning and two at night for two weeks, then one tablet daily. I'm thinking people like us that know how important fiber is don't need it like people who don't eat lots of fruit, vegetables, bean, etc. People who eat lots of junk food, packaged meals and fast food would probably benefit more. I'm glad you mentioned it and glad I sent for them. I think it's very important to keep a healthy colon.
Hi Bev, Zenor and Lolene! Hope you all had a nice Easter with family and friends.

Lolene
04-09-2007, 03:05 PM
Thanks Bobbi,

We had a nice Easter. Very salty ham though. I found some Fiber One Bars last night at Wal Mart. They had Oats & P. Butter and Oats and Chocolate. Each has 9gms. of fiber. My husband is one who never goes to the bathroom regularly, and since I've been telling him about getting enough fiber, he has been eating 2-3 pieces of fruit a day and has noticed a big difference. I looked for the book at K-Mart on Friday and couldn't find it. Will have to go to Barnes and Noble, I guess.

Thanks for your input.

Lolene

GinaXOXO
04-09-2007, 06:13 PM
I love Barnes and Noble! You will find it there for sure. I like the fiber one bars a lot but initially I couldn't eat two in the same day.

Bobbi, I think you are right about the cleanse. Maybe we can't tell a difference because of all of the changes we have made.

I am doing better today. Yesterday I ate right until the evening--I can't understand why I over ate after I got home!!

Gina

Bev
04-09-2007, 09:54 PM
Hi everyone,

well I didn't do too well with eatting on Easter. Today I have had 30 grams of fiber so far. I will get in atleast 5 more to make my 35 grams. Well it looks like I will have to take my daughter to the doctor tomorrow. Her ear has been bothering her. I am sure it is an ear infection. Well I hope everyone has a nice evening.

bev

GinaXOXO
04-10-2007, 01:47 PM
Bev, it is great that you are back on track. I hope that your daughter feels better soon! I think it is that time of year when everyone gets a little extra sinus type stuff. All 4 of us feel like something the cat drug in. It happens every spring. We will be better in a week or so.

Gina

cbmare
04-10-2007, 08:13 PM
I need some advice. I've been trying to increase my fiber. However, I'm getting debilitating cramps!

Is there anyway to increase my fiber and not have to spend my day here at work running to the bathroom to give a wall shaking thunderous performance?

I have not added fiber tablets or anything to my diet. I'm getting this strictly from my food. I overdid psyllium husks a few months ago and have been afraid to go back on it.

I'm considering taking the gas prevention pills my dr gave me after my colonoscopy last October. I was supposed to take them for a week. I did that and they helped quite a bit. I got them because of pain after the procedure. I've never had to take them before.

Bobbolink
04-10-2007, 09:30 PM
Dear "Thunderous Performance Gal" :rofl:
Is there anyway to increase my fiber and not have to spend my day here at work running to the bathroom to give a wall shaking thunderous performance?
How much fiber are you eating? Let us know and we'll go from there.

Bobbi

cbmare
04-11-2007, 01:52 PM
I'm averaging about 30 gms daily.

So, you liked that? "Thunderous performance". I couldn't help myself.

Suzanne 3FC
04-11-2007, 04:40 PM
If you aren't used to eating a lot of fiber, a sudden increase can cause quite a performance :D It's usually recommended that you gradually increase your fiber so your body gets used to it, and you won't have that problem.

GinaXOXO
04-12-2007, 01:33 AM
Suzanne, you are right. I didn't do that. I just went for it. I felt so bloated---and well I couldn't "brag" anymore about how I never fart!! All is well now. Somtimes I just refuse to listen!

Gina

Suzanne 3FC
04-12-2007, 02:34 AM
Gina... Yesterday I received a spring "Swanson" Health Products magazine and on the cover in huge lettering is the following;
Norway's Colon Health Secret:Dr. Bjodne Eskeland's Colon Tone....The world's first oxygen-based colon cleanser. Inside is a two page article about it. You have spurred me on to sending for the tablets. I'm wondering about something, this doctor said the majority of people spend years accumulating deposits of mucoid plaques on their colon walls. I don't think "majority" is correct. I had a colonoscopy last week and the walls of my colon are free of plaque but I'm going to order it anyway to keep it in good working order. This doctor advocates natural means to achieve good health so I'm going for it.

I hope you don't mind me butting in :p

The reason you don't have any mucoid plaque is because there's no such thing. The phrase mucoid plaque was created by an herbalist trying to sell his products. It's not a medically recognized term because it doesn't exist. The idea came to him after he claims he went into the forest and came out a few weeks later with a vision. The whole detox scam is successful because it preys on our fears and what we can't see. Our bodies do not accumulate toxins, and are naturally cleansing. It's pure hype. The biggest names in the medical world tell us that it's not true. We're told that as long as we eat enough fiber and drink enough water, our intestines will stay clean. Our liver naturally detoxes itself. Mother nature doesn't need any help :)

Here are some references that might be helpful
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mucoid_plaque
http://quackfiles.blogspot.com/2004/12/mucoid-plaque-dubious-idea.html
http://www.guardian.co.uk/befit/story/0,,1379231,00.html

I guess I should say that I am REALLY bothered by the Fiber35 diet book. It's filled with a lot of hooey. On the other hand, I highly recommend the F-Factor Diet. It also encourages 35 grams of fiber per day, but it doesn't come from supplements, and it doesn't even mention detox. It's just a very sound and balanced diet plan. I should have my review of both books up on the main site by morning. Of course you've gotta do what you feel most comfortable with, but maybe my reviews will be a little helpful. If anything, I got to vent a little about something that bothers me :dizzy: :lol:

Bobbolink
04-12-2007, 09:33 AM
Suzanne.... Thanks for "venting". My ears are always open for information pertaining to my health. I'm a calorie counter myself and Fitday is a fantastic tool to calulate fiber in foods. I get the bulk of my fiber through Fiber One cereal, Flat Out wraps and All~Bran cereal. I'm not on either diet you mentioned but I'd be interested in your reviews on the Fiber35 and the F Factor books, where would I find those reviews?

Bobbi

Bobbolink
04-12-2007, 11:00 AM
Mare.... I guess everyone reacts differently to additional fiber in your diet. I never had a reaction to more fiber but my DH did. I made some yummy All~Bran muffins and he's been eating two every morning and like clock-work going to the bathroom twice a day. I told him it was a "good thing" as Martha Stewart would say. He also reacted to the Fiber One bars, he said they made him gassy. I didn't try them because I didn't want to waste 140 calories on one pimpy little bar.
Yesterday my calories were low at 1,031 and I had a hard time trying to get my calories up. Fiber was 64 grams. I sort of saved my calories for supper, I made homemade bean/ham soup from our left-over Easter ham. One 8oz. bowl is 135 calories and I thought I'd eat 2 or 3 bowls since that's all I was having for supper. But it was so filling and I only got down two bowls. (16oz) Don't preach, I know I should have at least 1200 calories but sometimes that just doesn't happen.
Have a great day everyone!

Bobbi

If you aren't used to eating a lot of fiber, a sudden increase can cause quite a performance :D It's usually recommended that you gradually increase your fiber so your body gets used to it, and you won't have that problem.

GinaXOXO
04-12-2007, 11:27 AM
Suzanne, I don't agree with you about fiber 35. Aside from your feelings about her pushing her own products there was a lot of good information in the book. I believe that F-Factor also pushes wafers.

Bev
04-12-2007, 12:36 PM
Hi everyone,

well my daughter is doing much better. She is back to school today. She ended up having an ear infection.

Well I am doing pretty well with my fiber plus I also increased my exercise.

Gina, how are you doing with the Wendie plan? I wish I could stick to weight watchers. I do good for a few days but than I fall off with the tracking. You would think I would be better with them since I use to work for them ( years and years ago). I should not say just ww because I stiink at sticking to anything.

well I will talk to you later

bev

GinaXOXO
04-12-2007, 01:35 PM
Bev, I am glad she is feeling better. I didn't have an ear ache until my mid 30's and I realized that I didn't have nearly enough empathy for those who did (my husband gets them often). It is pretty awful. I am glad she feels better.

It is great that you increased your exercise. I really like to exercise but I am pretty good at making excuses. Right now I have a 10 minute solution DVD that I put in my computer at work and do a little mini workout--I do worry about someone coming in though.

I go back and forth with the Wendie plan. It is working. One day it is easy and I do great and the next I don't want to stop eating.

I will tell you that eating more Fiber has really helped me stay on task. I have just read the Serotonin Power Diet (based on a 3FC review) and I am feeling pretty hopeful that I can make some small changes that will help my mood and emotional eating. I will keep you posted.

Gina

zenor77
04-13-2007, 12:46 PM
Hi everyone! I'm going to try and start posting regularly.

My Fiber for yesterday was 45grams

Like Bobbi I've never had any problems with my fiber being "high." Maybe it's because beans were a regular ingredient in dinners growing up. My Dad was on a cajun kick in the early 80's and we had red beans and rice EVERY monday for years. I think the spice took more getting used to than the fiber in the beans. :lol:

Bobbolink
04-13-2007, 01:57 PM
Good Morning, Almost! I see it's 11:48.
I was down in the basement all morning sewing, I'm making a quilt and I've put off finishing it long enough.
Yesterdays calories were 1,1561 and fiber 64 grams. I haven't been posting much lately either, been too busy. For my evening pop corn treat I've been making the "Brown Bag" Popcorn, any of you pop it that way? It's sure easy and no salt! For those that don't know how, I buy expensive pop corn kernels and put a serving in a brown sandwich bag. (40grams). Then I spray the kernels with no calorie cooking spray, make a flap or use 1 mini staple and staple shut. The mini staple is small enough and doesn't cause any sparks in the microwave. My popcorn button doesn't run long enough on my microwave so I set it at two minutes and wait until it stops popping. My favorite topping is Cinnamon & Sugar. (Splenda) Sometimes I add a little salt but I can eat it without. It's good, you can control how much salt you use and it's CHEAP!
Have a good one, Bobbi

Bev
04-14-2007, 12:29 AM
Hi everyone,

Well yesterday was really tough for me. I had 50 grams of fiber and I was so gassy. No one would come near me and my husband didn't want to sleep with me. It is weird some days it doesn't bother me and other days it does. I have started to do 45 minutes to an hour of exercise monday-Friday. Saturday is a hit or miss since that she soccer day for us. Both of my kids play so it is hard to exercise that day.

Well I am off to bed but I wanted to check in.

bev

Bobbolink
04-14-2007, 11:02 AM
Good Morning!
Yesterday's calories were 1,135 and fiber 77 grams. It a good thing my body doesn't react to that much fiber. I had Fiber One twice, once dry as a snack and the other time on top of crustless pumpkin pie/FF SF Cool whip. It's really good on top of pie, it makes it taste like a up-side-down pie crust. The pumpkin pie slices had 2 grams of fiber in each slice which surprised me and I had two slices of that for 4 grams of fiber. (2 slices 65 calories)
I had a Flat Out roll up wrap at lunch time for 9 grams of fiber and the last of our Easter Ham made into Ham/Bean soup last night. Two bowls had 20 grams of fiber, I couldn't believe this. I checked out the recipe I entered in Fitday and that's what they said, one 8 oz bowl had 10 grams of fiber.
I had 2 slices of low cal 7 grain toast (4 gr. fiber) twice yesterday. Once with my morning egg white omelet and again with my soup at supper.
Bev... This menu would probably blow you out of your undies :rofl: I'm sorry to hear of your problems, do you document the days food affects you like that? There must be something you can do, how about using "Bean-o" or what ever they call that little pill I see advertised. It might be a good thing in the long run, you'll probably never have hemmoroids.

Zenor.... Great fiber count. Speaking of Cajun, I have a Cajun cookbook that has the best recipe for "French Fries". The recipe calls for a mixture of cajun spices, then you toss the potatoes with it and bake them. Oh, yum! They taste just like the real thing.
My Fiber for yesterday was 45grams

Like Bobbi I've never had any problems with my fiber being "high." Maybe it's because beans were a regular ingredient in dinners growing up. My Dad was on a cajun kick in the early 80's and we had red beans and rice EVERY monday for years. I think the spice took more getting used to than the fiber in the beans. :lol:
Hi Gina and Mare, what's happening?

GinaXOXO
04-14-2007, 03:24 PM
Hi Bobbi, Bev, and Mare!!

I think I am doing pretty decent. I have been busy the past two mornings and am not sure how I am doing on the scale.

Bev, I have that problem too. I don't feel uncomfortable. I just sometimes umm-----don't spell very lady like. HEHE Seriously, I have no idea what causes it but I will document it like Bobbi mentioned.

Bobbi, you sure have great ideas!! I have never microwaved my own popcorn. I have thought about it . . . but didn't have any idea how to do it. The pumpkin pie sounds great.

I am doing well. My allergies are slowing me down though.

Gina

Nikki_20216
04-15-2007, 07:36 PM
Good Morning!
Yesterday's calories were 1,135 and fiber 77 grams. It a good thing my body doesn't react to that much fiber. I had Fiber One twice, once dry as a snack and the other time on top of crustless pumpkin pie/FF SF Cool whip. It's really good on top of pie, it makes it taste like a up-side-down pie crust. The pumpkin pie slices had 2 grams of fiber in each slice which surprised me and I had two slices of that for 4 grams of fiber. (2 slices 65 calories)
I had a Flat Out roll up wrap at lunch time for 9 grams of fiber and the last of our Easter Ham made into Ham/Bean soup last night. Two bowls had 20 grams of fiber, I couldn't believe this. I checked out the recipe I entered in Fitday and that's what they said, one 8 oz bowl had 10 grams of fiber.
I had 2 slices of low cal 7 grain toast (4 gr. fiber) twice yesterday. Once with my morning egg white omelet and again with my soup at supper.

I've been trying to up my fiber lately, maybe because I read the Fiber35 review and never really realized how important it is.

I've been reading this board, this post really shocked me how much food you seem to be eating for such little calories, and how full you must be with all that fiber!

So what I really wanted to ask was: Can I have the recipe for the pumpkin pie? 4 grams of fiber and 65 calories for two slices sounds GREAT! Also, what brand of bread are you eating?

Bobbolink
04-15-2007, 07:53 PM
Hi Nikki,
I eat any of the light breads on the market. The one I have now is "Village Hearth" 12 Grain bread. 2 slices 80 calories and 4 grams of fiber. I need to finish cleaning up my kitchen, then I'll dig out my recipe for crustless pumpkin pie. But I need to forward you, I use splenda in it and lots of people don't eat that. If you're one of them, just replace the Splenda with regular sugar.
Be back later with recipe, Bobbi

Bobbolink
04-15-2007, 09:51 PM
I took this recipe off the side of the pumpkin can, then modified it to lower the calories. The original recipe called for 2 whole eggs (150 calories) I put 3 egg whites in instead for only (51 calories). It also called for Evaporated milk, I used light vanilla soy milk. This doesn't have the rich texture to it that you get using full calories ingredients, but it's sure tasty and the calories are only a fraction of the original.

Crustless Pumpkin Pie
1 can pumpkin (15 oz. size)
Splenda
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
tsp. ground ginger
tsp ground cloves
3 large egg whites
12 oz. light Vanilla soy milk (Skim milk would work too(
Mix Splenda, salt, cinnamon, ginger and cloves
In small bowl, set aside.

1. Beat egg whites in large bowl
2. Stir in pumpkin and splenda mixture
3. Gradually stir in soy milk

4. Pour into sprayed pie dish

5. Bake in preheated 425 degree oven for 15 min.

6. Reduce oven temperature to 350, bake for 40-
50 Minutes more or until knife comes out clean.Cook on wire rack 2 hours, then refrigerate left-overs.

I top with FF/SF Cool Whip and sprinkle on some dry Fiber One cereal. It makes a crunchy topping.

sharonrr
04-15-2007, 10:07 PM
Bobbi, thanks for the recipe. I am trying to get more fiber and trying to get 10 superfoods a day. Pumpkin is one that seems harder without adding lots of calories. I have tried pumpkin smoothies and found a recipe for pumpkin pie but it had double the calories. I like soy milk so that is great.

cbmare
04-16-2007, 02:59 PM
I'm here. I had to cut back on my fiber to just under 30 for a few days. Trust me, I was giving award winning performances. :o

However, I've been slowly increasing it. Beano is a wonderful thing. I buy about 6 bottles at Costco 2 or 3 times a year. We both take it.

I've just started reading F Factor. I think it is going to be doable. I'm not far enough into it to tell yet.

It's funny how our minds start reacting to reading different books. Gee! Carbs are evil! No! Fat is evil! It almost makes you feel guilty for eating certain foods! :dizzy:

I've been calorie counting and it is working. I'm just looking forward to putting beans back into my diet. boobalah has such reactions to them. We cut them out for a long time (years!). I told him I'll eat them and he can just ignore them. He loves them so much, so he's just going to try and "deal" with them. :D

I can't have popcorn. Diverticulitis and popcorn, nuts and seeds don't play well together. After spending time in the ER recently, I'm really avoiding those things. I miss almonds but they "ain't" worth it.

Nikki_20216
04-16-2007, 09:03 PM
Thank you! I will definately be trying that.
And I think I must go spend a day in the bread isle looking for the lowest calorie, highest fiber bread I can find.

GinaXOXO
04-18-2007, 01:44 AM
Mare, I agree. I read almost everything that comes out and I have finally decided "the diet" that works is the one that fits my habits and lifestyle. You can lose weight eating no carbs or a high percentage of carbs. I like carbs and I really believe that having carbs helps my mood.

Gina

Bobbolink
04-18-2007, 10:40 AM
Good Morning!
My fiber for Sunday was only 39 grams, but my calories were extremely low too! Sunday after Church I usually take off for the day and miss lunch.
Monday's calories were better at 1,218 and 62 grams of fiber.
Tuesday's calories at 1,141 and fiber at 76 grams.
Bev... glad to hear DD ear infection is clearing up. Our daughter had lots of ear infections when small, finally they put some PE tubes in her ears and that cleared up her ear drums and she never had problems again.
Gina... I will tell you that eating more Fiber has really helped me stay on task. I have just read the Serotonin Power Diet (based on a 3FC review) and I am feeling pretty hopeful that I can make some small changes that will help my mood and emotional eating. I will keep you posted. I've never heard of the Serotonin Power diet, what's it all about?
Hi Zenor and Sharon.... what's happening with you two?
Nikki.... I've been reading this board, this post really shocked me how much food you seem to be eating for such little calories, and how full you must be with all that fiber!
All this high fiber food I eat sometimes "back-fires" on me and not the way you're thinking! :rofl: It keeps me so full that I'm not hungry and I have to fight everyday to keep my calories at 1200. I usually have to eat something before going to bed to get my calories up, like popcorn, sometimes cereal. I have used almonds before, but it just seems so weird to eat when I'm not hungry.
Mare... I can't have popcorn. Diverticulitis and popcorn, nuts and seeds don't play well together. After spending time in the ER recently, I'm really avoiding those things. I miss almonds but they "ain't" worth it. I had a colonoscopy last month and doc said I had Diverticulosis. For those of you that don't know the difference, Diverticula are small pouches of the large intestine. When these pouches produce no discomfort, the condition is termed diverticulosis (which I have). If the diverticula become inflamed, or if they rupture, the problem is called diverticulitis. (Mare Has).
The cause is unknown, but they think the low intake of fiber in the diet may be a major factor and the risk increases with age, 20 to 50% in persons older than 50.
Just another reason for us to up our fiber in our diets.
I'm going to hang a load of clothes outside now, yesterday I did our sheets and sleeping on fresh aired sheets last night is like heaven.

Bobbi

GinaXOXO
04-18-2007, 02:05 PM
Bobbi, The Serotonin Diet says that carbohydrates cause Serotonin to be released. Serotonin is a feel good hormone that tells us when we are full. I can really tell a difference. I eat 3 snacks a day. I ordered the Serotonin Diet and the Feel Good Diet at the same time. I read the Serotonin Diet first. I like the Feel Good Diet better. It is about balance. Each meal is broken down into how many bread-protein-vegetables-fruit-and dairy portions I should have. It probably sounds cumbersome but it really isn't. I just try to get close. As long as I have my fiber I feel like I am doing alright.

I loved the Serotonin Diet but lunch was just veggies and protein and dinner was just carbs and protein. That is fine but I just wasn't creative enough to figure out what to make for our family dinners. So, I have switched to the Good Mood Diet.

So far, so good. My snacks are always a fiber bar or pudding with fiber one. It isn't exactly what they suggest but I strongly believe in FIBER!! SO, I am trying to get a little more structure but still eating my fiber.

Gina

delarimi
04-21-2007, 06:30 PM
I am really happy that I found this website. I have been all over the place with what to do about losing weight. I thought that I had finally zeroed in a calorie counting, after finding this site, but really never got it in gear for very long.. then I watched 20/20 last week and they spoke about high fiber and not knowing too much about how much, etc, I thought I would come to this website and see if there was something here on fiber. Of course there was. I so glad. Now I have to figure out what the best thing is to lose weight and stay on track. Eating healthy for me is pretty easy, but over eating is even easier. So correct me if I wrong, I am assuming at this point I am going to combine calorie counting with fiber. I bought fiber one cereal and 1 cup is about 30 grams of fiber so that is about all you need for the whole day, right? for lunch that day I had a salad and added chick peas and a few walnuts, more fiber :) then for dinner I made ww pasta with spinach, wine, pine nuts (yum) if anyone wants that recipe I will share. I did not count calorie yesterday (or today for that matter) I am just trying this out for size so to speak. I just read a post about the Fiber35 book. Is this worth buying to explain this new concept to me better?
also, about the gas... I have charcoal tablets that I keep in the house. I have gotten these in Walgreens. I was told to take one and if it did not work keep taking one every 15 minutes until the gas pains go away. If you are taking medications, though ask your doctor, because I heard charcoal "absorbs" and it could "take away" from the potency of your meds.. I am going to make dinner now. Breast of chicken with apricots.. good one too :)

GinaXOXO
04-21-2007, 07:44 PM
I would love to see the recipes!!

I am not sure if you need the Fiber35 diet. It is great for understanding why fiber is so important and has really motivated me to aim at 35 grams of fiber a day.

I think you already have good program started.

Yes, eating a cup of cereal certainly is good for your fiber count. I prefer trying to space it throughout the day. That doesn't mean that is any better than what you mentioned with the cereal.

Gina

delarimi
04-21-2007, 09:49 PM
Apricot chicken and green beans with almond slivers:
chicken ingred:
2 skinless, bonelee chix breasts halves (about 4 oz ea)
4 dried apricots, chopped
2 shallots
2 TBSP white wine
2 TBSP olive oil
1/5 tsp ground cinnamon

green bean ingred:
1 cup french cut string beans
3 shallots
1 TBSP oilive oil
1 tsp wine vinegar
1 tsp maple syrup
1/4 slivered almond
salt and pepper to taste

To make chicken, heat oven to 375. Place chix in glass baking dish. Saute in frying pan the remaining chix ingreg until tender. Transfer to blender or food processor and puree. Spoon over chix and bake until chix is cooked through, 15-20 min
Meanwhile prepare beans according to package (frozen ones) saute shallots in olive oil, vinegar and maple syrup until translucent. Add almons and brown slightly. Toss with beans. Season to taste.
total fat 22 g
saturated fat 2.8 g
healthy fats 18.1g
fiber 4.6 g
carb 25 g
sugar 3.5 g
protein 32.7
sodium 89 mg
calcium 95 mg
magnesium 100 mg
selenium 22.4 mcg
potassium 813 mg

what I ended up having tonight was just the chix and then cooked a sweet potatoe and made asparagus...
I will write the pasta recipe ASAP

thanks for your input about the book. I know that fiber is good for you. I thought it was more of a how to book combining fiber with weight loss with recipes..
let me know if you make the above recipe. Hopefully you will like it.

FatToFitVirgo
04-21-2007, 10:18 PM
I too have charcoal tablets. But I save those in the med cabinet for when I may have eaten something "iffy"--like is it still good or not. It's meant to be an occasional thing, not something you eat every day...or even very often. Besides, you're supposed to chew them, not just swallow like a vitamin. This means your teeth & gums are black, because you've just eaten pure carbon.

If you don't want to be gassy after eating fibrous foods, go to the drugstore and buy yourself a little bottle of Beano. Just a couple drops on your food as you start to eat (it doesn't taste bad), and it really helps prevent gas. Good stuff!

Charcoal's to overcome possible food poisoning. Go with the Beano (no joke intended!).

Bobbolink
04-22-2007, 07:06 PM
Hi girls,
I've been too busy to post but keep my daily fiber up regardless. Wednesday calores were 1,035 and fiber only 46 grams.
Thursday's calories 1050 and Fiber 77 grams
Friday's calories 1174 and fiber 66 grams
Saturday's calories 1187 and fiber 72 grams. It's a good thing I don't get gassy with the arsonal of wind I should be building up. I wonder why it doesn't affect me, maybe I have a cast iron stomach.
Gina... Where do you find all these diets? I loved the Serotonin Diet but lunch was just veggies and protein and dinner was just carbs and protein. That is fine but I just wasn't creative enough to figure out what to make for our family dinners. So, I have switched to the Good Mood Diet. Does it put you in a good mood?
Delarimi and Virgo... I've never heard of charcoal tablets, are you sure they're safe to eat? I think if you gradually built up your fiber intake, you won't have gas problems. Thursday evening when I added all my food into Fitday I got a tad nervous about all the fiber I consumed that day. (77 grams)My doctor said to drink lots of water with all the fiber I consume or it'll back fire on me. Not how you're thinking either, he said I could get constipated and blocked up. So I downed 3 glasses of water which I normally don't do at bedtime. I hate waking up in the middle of the night to use the bathroom. But it didn't seem to "plug anything up", just another normal BM the next day. DH made us a large salad with albacore tuna for supper tonight, I better go eat it. I'm having that yummy Newmans Light Sesame Ginger dressing on it, if you haven't tried it, do so. See ya...........Bobbi

delarimi
04-23-2007, 09:56 AM
the charcoal that I have is "activated charcoal" It is a capsule not a tablet. (powder inside) I was told this info about them through someone in the homeopathic field many years ago. I used to get intense pains from gas and used them for that. I have not used them on a regular basis for a long time because I have not had that problem, but they certainly did work for me and saved me from having to leave work.... holding in the gas is no good but letting it out will allienate you :). Because of the absorption properties of charcoal it absorbs "other stuff" besides gas.. that is why it interferes with meds.. a google search on "activated charcoal" would probably tell you a lot. I would never want to chew tablets - YUK. I have never seen them in that form anyway. Beano did not work for me because sometimes foods disagree with me and sometimes they don't.. so taking it after the fact did not good.. that is when the charcoal was a life saver for me

I too have charcoal tablets. But I save those in the med cabinet for when I may have eaten something "iffy"--like is it still good or not. It's meant to be an occasional thing, not something you eat every day...or even very often. Besides, you're supposed to chew them, not just swallow like a vitamin. This means your teeth & gums are black, because you've just eaten pure carbon.

If you don't want to be gassy after eating fibrous foods, go to the drugstore and buy yourself a little bottle of Beano. Just a couple drops on your food as you start to eat (it doesn't taste bad), and it really helps prevent gas. Good stuff!

Charcoal's to overcome possible food poisoning. Go with the Beano (no joke intended!).

delarimi
04-23-2007, 10:03 AM
bobbokink - I have looked for this Newman's Own dressing in a couple of stores and have not been able to find it. where do you buy it? I also bought all bran crackers yesterday.. have not tried it yet. I am doing very good on my increased fiber, but have not started counting calories.. I have to really get more disciplined with that. Last night my mother wanted dessert and I gave her ice cream and then had to had some so only had about 1/2 to 3/4cup but felt very guilty about it afterwards... I know I should have something more healthy in the house for "those" times when she does not want to eat dessert alone

Hi girls,
I've been too busy to post but keep my daily fiber up regardless. Wednesday calores were 1,035 and fiber only 46 grams.
Thursday's calories 1050 and Fiber 77 grams
Friday's calories 1174 and fiber 66 grams
Saturday's calories 1187 and fiber 72 grams. It's a good thing I don't get gassy with the arsonal of wind I should be building up. I wonder why it doesn't affect me, maybe I have a cast iron stomach.
Gina... Where do you find all these diets? Does it put you in a good mood?
Delarimi and Virgo... I've never heard of charcoal tablets, are you sure they're safe to eat? I think if you gradually built up your fiber intake, you won't have gas problems. Thursday evening when I added all my food into Fitday I got a tad nervous about all the fiber I consumed that day. (77 grams)My doctor said to drink lots of water with all the fiber I consume or it'll back fire on me. Not how you're thinking either, he said I could get constipated and blocked up. So I downed 3 glasses of water which I normally don't do at bedtime. I hate waking up in the middle of the night to use the bathroom. But it didn't seem to "plug anything up", just another normal BM the next day. DH made us a large salad with albacore tuna for supper tonight, I better go eat it. I'm having that yummy Newmans Light Sesame Ginger dressing on it, if you haven't tried it, do so. See ya...........Bobbi

Bev
04-23-2007, 10:18 AM
Hi everyone,

Well even though I have not posted lately I have been averaging about 35 grams of fiber. I am still trying to work on my calories though. That is harder for me that increasing my fiber. I wish i was better at eatting healthier.

well I am off to workout .

have a great day

bev

GinaXOXO
04-24-2007, 10:01 AM
HI!

Bev keeping my calories low has been hard. It is going better now because of the Good Mood Diet. I get 1200-1500 calories a day but I am still losing weight.

Breakfast: Bread, Milk, Fruit, Fat, Protein

I can keep my fiber up and have a little structure. Also, I have snacks. The book really recommends green tea so I am going to get that today.

All is well here and it looks like you are doing well too.

Bobbi: the serotonin diet really got my attention because I had a really hard 6 months. I get a little SADD in the winter. It gets so boring in Iowa and I have a low tolerance to the cold. My puppy died and that really got me down. When I went to Amazon and searched for the Serotonin Diet the Good Mood Diet came up also. I kept going back and forth between the two and finally decided to get both. I am so glad that I did. The Good Mood Diet is really working for me. I read the Serotonin Diet first and learned a lot but I was having a really hard time figuring out what to make because carbs and protein couldn't be mixed.

Take care!!

Gina

delarimi
04-25-2007, 11:43 AM
No one seems to be posting here, how come?
Here is the pasta recipe I promised. I don't have any nutritional facts for it so whoever has the time/inclination to figure it out, perhaps you can let me know...
serves 4
8 ounces ww pasta (I used Ronzoni ww blend)
salt, pepper
1/2 olive oil (I did not use the whole 1/2 cup, I felt it was too much, but
used most of it
2 garlic cloves
1 onion, quartered and sliced
3 large flat mushrooms, sliced (don't know what flat is... didn't use)
5 c fresh spinach leaves
2 TBSP pine nute
1/3 dry white wine
parmesan cheese shavings to garnish

Cook pasta according to package directions - drain
Meanwhile heat the oil in a large pan. Add the garlic, onion, and saute for 1 minute
Add the sliced mushrooms and cook for 2 minutes, stirring occasionally
Add the spinach and cook 4-5 minutes until spinach is wilted
Stir in pine nuts and wine, season with salt, pepper and cook for 1 more minute
toss with pasta and garnish with parmesan cheese.
I really liked this a lot.. hope whoever tries it does too :)

cbmare
04-25-2007, 01:26 PM
I'm still trying to get mine up without the "thunderous" performances.

I have a question. Is it possible to get fiber without all the carbs?

zenor77
04-25-2007, 02:55 PM
We're having issues with our computer (thus not posting.) Hopefully we can get a new one soon!

My fiber for yesterday was at 59 grams. :yay:

I made a Lentil-Barley Stew from the More-with-less cookbook last night and it's good! 14 grams of fiber per serving and only 272 calories (for a big bowl of it.)

cbmare~ If you like beans I have heard that some are easier to digest than others (I think they produce less "thunder".) Black beans is one of them. I can't remember what the other ones are, but I do remember that soy beans are very difficult for some people (in dried bean form.) I know this is true of my husband; soy beans create quite a performance. Lol.

Bobbolink
04-25-2007, 04:09 PM
Hi Girls!
Sunday's calories...1,022 and 49 grams fiber. I'm gone most Sundays and really have a hard time getting my calories in. I purchased some almonds today and will start eating some at bedtime to reach 1200. Wow, they have 5.7 calories in 1 whole almond!!!!

Mon... 1,118 calories and 63 grams fiber
Tue... 1,144 calories and 60 grams fiber

Delarimi... Yeah, where is everybody? When we started we had many hits but I think everyone took the information and went back to their usual threads. I'm not as active because I'm at my goal and just coasting. I purchased my "Light Sesame Ginger" at Wal*mart, but I've seen it in other stores too. We were just about out so I made some from scratch, it's not quite like the Newman's, but close.
bobbokink - I have looked for this Newman's Own dressing in a couple of stores and have not been able to find it. where do you buy it?

Bev... What are you eating that your calories are higher than you want. Well even though I have not posted lately I have been averaging about 35 grams of fiber. I am still trying to work on my calories though. That is harder for me that increasing my fiber. I wish i was better at eatting healthier.
When I first started and always hungry, I'd open up a can of green beans, heavily season them with spicy herbs and zero calories butter spray and fill up my tummy. If you're eating sweets, get rid of them. I eat a SF/FF pudding everyday topped with FF Cool Whip and sprinkled with Fiber One. That is yummy!

Mare... Fruits and Vegetables have lots of fiber in them. I have a mini list which provide 4-5 grams of fiber:

1 cup Raspberries
1/2 cup figs (too many calories, watch how many you eat)
1/2 cup cooked lentils
1 cup cooked acorn squash
1/2 cup cooked pinto beans
2 cups cooked oatmealZenor... You always have high fiber, good for you. Have you noticed a difference in your appetite and the rate you're losing?

Gina... I should put my DH on your Mood Diet, he's always crabby about something. He's a perfectionest and doesn't like his boat rocked. Geeeeez, I'm jealous of laid back hubbies. But if the alternative is a slob, maybe I'll keep him.

I have a sweet sour cabbage soup recipe to post on another thread, better get it done.

cbmare
04-25-2007, 04:36 PM
[
Mare... Fruits and Vegetables have lots of fiber in them. I have a mini list which provide 4-5 grams of fiber:

1 cup Raspberries
1/2 cup figs (too many calories, watch how many you eat)
1/2 cup cooked lentils
1 cup cooked acorn squash
1/2 cup cooked pinto beans
2 cups cooked oatmeal[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#800080][COLOR=red]

Thanks. I knew that. I was just wondering if I could get it without the carbs. Beans, etc have high carbs.

I try and eat 2 types of fruit with my high fiber cereal each morning.

zenor77
04-26-2007, 12:11 AM
Bobbi~ I have noticed that I'm not hungry as often when I have a high fiber day. When I eat terrible I'm hungry all day long. It's a big difference.

I did notice more weight loss when I first started to up my fiber, but then I hit a three week plateau. I'm just coming off of that, so hopefully things speed up from here.

Bobbolink
04-26-2007, 09:38 AM
Hi Zenor :wave: The dreaded plateaus' happen to most of us. This time around for me was the easiest, only hit one plateau and that lasted only a few days. I don't know what I did differently this time other than the high percentage of fiber. You have been doing fantastic and maybe you should mix up your exercise routine next time you hit a plateau. I googled "Plateau in dieting" and found numerous site about it. This is one of them. I'm going to check out the rest of them, if anything interesting pops up I'll post it.
Q. How to Overcome a Weight Loss Plateau? The weight loss plateau occurs because your body thinks there is a famine and has slowed down your metabolism in order to conserve calories.
This usually occurs within about a month of starting a weight loss diet, and may reoccur periodically thereafter.
What's the solution to the weight loss plateau?
SPEED UP your metabolism.
How?
By increasing your activity level.
Boosting your activity level will boost your metabolism and re-start weight loss.
For example, if you exercise for 20 minutes each day, increase this to 25-30 minutes each day, and weight loss should return to normal.
Calorie Intake & Eating Habits
As well as increasing your activity, please check your calorie intake is adequate. Many dieters fail to eat enough. This alone can trigger the weight loss plateau effect. Also, do not go too long without eating. This is not good for your metabolism/metabolic rate. For a woman, 3 hours without food is a reasonable maxiumum. And always eat breakfast!

delarimi
04-26-2007, 09:46 AM
Zenor - I would love the recipe for lentil barley stew. I have been making a lentil vegetarian soup that I like a lot, only 94 calories. I noticed that black beans are high in fiber and tonight I am going to try to make a black bean soup with smoked turkey wing. It is from a weight watchers cookbook. Never made it before, hope I like it.

bobolink - how do you keep your calories so low and not be so hungry?
I have not been keeping a faithful total of calories. I do ok until late afternoon but then get busy and don't add in dinner. with fiberone cereal, skin milk, banana, all bran crackers, lentil soup and Dannon lite that ends up to be 672 calories and 25 grams of fiber. I think that night I had salmon with balsamic vinegar sauce (to die for) salad and sweet potato. I did not figure in those calories/fiber but I know the fiber did jump up that much. so how do you get in all that fiber with low calories????
thanks

Bobbolink
04-26-2007, 10:41 AM
Hi Delrimi, I've been asked that question before and I used to post my menu's everyday but stopped because nobody else did.
bobolink - how do you keep your calories so low and not be so hungry?

Wednesday's calorie... 1,201 Fiber... 61 grams
4:00 am (Early Riser)
A gallon of coffee :rofl: O.K. I lied, but I drink about 8 cups a day.
Vitamins... 10 calories
Fiber One, dry... 60 cal/14 gram of Fiber
9:00 am
Bacon English McMuffin:
Thomas light English muffin... 100 cal/8 grams fiber
3.7 oz. egg whites... 52 cal
2 slices lean turkey bacon... 40 cal
(I usually put salsa on this but ate it on the run and didn't bother)

Lunch... 8 oz bowl of Cabbage soup... 43 cal/3 grams fiber
8oz. Zucchini soup 48 cal/4 grams of fiber

Snack: Coconut pudding...48 cal/1 gram fiber
FF/SF Cool whip... 15 cal and topped with dry Fiber one for 60 calories and 14 grams fiber.

Supper:
Whole Wheat spaghetti... 190 cal/5 grams fiber
Marina Sauce... 70 cal/3 grams fiber
4 Elk Meat Balls... 125 cal/1 gram fiber
Veggie Paresan cheese topping... 15 cal

Evening snack: 1.5 serving of Air popped pop corn with Splenda, Cinnamon and Molly McButter... 144 cal/7 grams fiber
FF Milk...80 cal
I hadn't reached my goal of 1200 calories so I ate just enough almonds to reach it, 10 almonds at 64 cal/1 grams fiber

Bobbolink
04-26-2007, 10:52 AM
I forgot to add the most important thing, I drank 12 (8oz) glasses of pure water yesterday. My doctor told me this was very important when consuming that much fiber. He was very impressed with the amount I eat and even more impressed that I knew the actual number of grams. This really keeps me full all day and I wish other dieters would start adding more fiber to their diets.

delarimi
04-26-2007, 01:07 PM
I just wanted you to know that I have read, with interest, your posts of your food intake. I am totally amazed at it. Not sure about zucchini soup, but can you share the cabbage soup recipe? If it is like the old "cabbage soup diet" one, then I'll skip it. So far today i have had
breakfast: 1 cup of fiberone (I don't think I could eat less), banana, skim milk
2 cups of coffee with skim milk and splenda
18 all bran crackers
lunch is coming up.. think I will have salad with oil and vinegar dressing with chick peas in the salad for fiber.. not sure of the calorie content/fiber total yet as I have not figured it out... p.s. what is an elk meatball?

Bobbolink
04-26-2007, 02:38 PM
DH is a big game hunter, 80% of our meat. He bagged a huge bull Elk last fall and we process it ourselves. The burger I make out of it is 99.0% fat free, delicious low calorie meatballs.

delarimi
04-26-2007, 05:45 PM
elk is elk! I thought it was an abbreviation for something.. boy do I have to get with the program (in more than one way) so what is DH?
I have been very stressed today with my Alzheimer's mother. I ate 2 hershey minis and a square of extra bittersweet chocolate and 2 nips... that totals 228 calories. I am blown away. I am so glad I totalled that!!! salad for lunch though :)

Bobbolink
04-26-2007, 07:19 PM
DHDear Hubby or Husband
DD is Dear Daughter
DS is Dear Son

delarimi
04-26-2007, 07:32 PM
I was explained a few weeks ago how to put in your weight tracker and can't find it. Can someone explain to me how to get the weight tracker into the posts.
thanks

zenor77
04-27-2007, 12:05 AM
Here is the lentil-barley stew recipe that I made from the More-with-Less cookbook. I'm typing it as it is in the cookbook and how I modified it. The calorie count is for my modified version.

Lentil-Barley Stew Serves 6

Saute in large pan:
1/4c margarine I used 2T olive oil
3/4c chopped celery
3/4c chopped onion
Add:
6c Water
3/4c lentils
Cook 20 minutes. Add:
1qt tomatoes, canned I used a large can of diced
3/4c barley or brown rice I used barley
2t salt It was a bit salty~I'd use less
1/4t pepper I love pepper and used lots more!
1/2t rosemary
1/2t garlic salt I used 2 chopped garlic cloves and added them with the onions
Simmer 45-60 minutes. Add:
1/2c shredded carrots
Cook 5 minutes, and serve.

Calories per serving: 272
Fat: 5g
Carbohydrates: 48g
Fiber: 14g
Protein: 11g

I measured the whole recipe out after making it and it came to approx. 8 cups. So 1 serving was approx. 1 1/3 cups (a lot of food in my mind.) I'm sure it could vary a little though each time it's made (depending on brands of barley and lentils, etc.)

delarimi
04-27-2007, 07:24 AM
I am definately going to try this recipe.. thanks
last night I made the black bean soup with smoked turkey wing. It is a weight watchers recipe, only 135 calories per cup and 8 grams of fiber... if anyone is interested in that, let me know

Bobbolink
04-27-2007, 10:05 AM
Delarimi................Across the purple bar on top of the page, click on User CP.
Then click on Edit Signature.
Top of page in lavender lettering is "Add a weight tracker to your signature, click Here to get started". After clicking on it, you'll get instructions on the basic setup.

Bobbolink
04-27-2007, 10:28 AM
Good Morning,
Me again, Wednesday's calories 1,201 / Fiber 61 grams
Thursday's calories 1,204 / Fiber 72 grams.

Zenor... What do you mean by eating terrible?
Thanks for the recipe, I printed it out and will make tomorrow.
zenor77Bobbi~ I have noticed that I'm not hungry as often when I have a high fiber day. When I eat terrible I'm hungry all day long. It's a big difference.

I'm not sure what the "cabbage soup diet" recipe is? I have about a dozen cabbage soup recipes, the Sweet/Sour recipe I posted on the ~Golden Girls~ thread.
Not sure about zucchini soup, but can you share the cabbage soup recipe? If it is like the old "cabbage soup diet" one, then I'll skip it.

zenor77
04-27-2007, 02:00 PM
By "eating terrible" I mean low-fiber. Somedays we end up eating out twice (it's not that often.) Even though i'm able to make good low-cal choices it's hard to get a lot of fiber in from resturant meals. So I'm more hungry without the fiber, but same calories. Although, I'm not sure if I've ever been under the RDA of fiber. Perhaps I should have said "eating terrible for me." :D

Regardless of what I say, I almost always mean it towards my habits, not others. I don't judge what other people eat. I just wanted to throw that out there since I guess "eating terrible" may sound generalized. :o

delarimi
04-28-2007, 09:50 PM
http://www.3fatchicks.net/img/bar061/pie/lb////.png (http://www.3fatchicks.com/weight-tracker/)

delarimi
04-28-2007, 09:58 PM
I saw the weight tracker, did not like it, so went back to change. Now I can't get a picture... this is making me so frustrated.
Bobbolink - I found the Newman's Own dressing. Can you tell me how you made the chicken salad

http://www.3fatchicks.net/img/bar027/slider-but8/lb////.png (http://www.3fatchicks.com/weight-tracker/)

zenor77
04-28-2007, 11:07 PM
Fiber for today~ 49 grams
Fiber for yesterday~ 65 grams and A LOT of water!

delarimi~ Can you post the black beans recipe please? I just love new bean recipes!

Liliann
04-29-2007, 03:40 PM
Hello,

I am so glad to see a thread on here for people who count fiber. I had started faithfully on counting this past week and am doing awesome on it. I have lost 35 Lbs so far and I will keep this up. I am so amazed that fiber does fill you up till you are hungry again. Am a huge sweets eater and all am now doing is replacing those sweets into fruits..Mostly fruits that have 3 grams of fiber.

I hope I can join you all here and share our daily fiber count. My fiber count for Saturday 58..Sunday so far is 40.

I will do my best on posting here daily..

Happy counting and being healthy!! :)

Bobbolink
04-29-2007, 11:30 PM
Hi Girls!
It's my bedtime and I thought I'd better catch up:
Friday's calories... 1,165 and Fiber...64 grams ~ 12 glasses of water
Saturday's calories.. 1,217 and Fiber..53 grams ~ 12 glasses of water
Sunday's Fiber 55 grams. 12 glasses of water

I had a new treat tonight, One serving of dry Fiber One drizzled with FF/SF Maple syrup and FF/SF Cool whip mixed in. It was sweet and cruncy.
Welcome Liliann, congrats on the 35 pound loss! You're off to a good start with your fiber.
Zenor... great fiber stats and I too would like the black bean recipe.
Do you buy the canned black beans or cook them from dry for your recipes zenor?
Delarimi... I did mention having Chicken salad with the Sesame/Ginger dressing but it was just mixed lettuce, shredded carrot and cabbage, arugala lettuce, etc. in a salad bowl with grilled chicken cubes over it. I think someone else said they marinated the raw chicken in the dressing, grilled it and then sliced over the salad. Either way would be good, the dressing is excellent on Tuna too!
Anybody finding new recipes with lots of fiber?

Bobbi

delarimi
04-30-2007, 07:46 AM
I will post it later.. got to go to work. I made myself a note

Is there anyone who can help me with the stupid weight tracker??? I went and followed the instructions, saw the tracker like it said I would, but did not like it and now I can't go back and start again. All I get is a little box with an x in it

delarimi
04-30-2007, 07:47 AM
welcome Lillian, I am new at this too... good luck. we'll learn together
Diane

zenor77
04-30-2007, 03:23 PM
Fiber for yesterday~ 40 grams

Bobbi~ I pretty much cook up dry beans for all my recipes. I like to use organic beans and I find they are cheaper dry. Plus, I can control the amount of salt in them. I did recently find a great brand of organic black FF "refried" beans though at our grocery outlet, so I bought some of those. I also like to cook up a large batch of the beans I use the most of (garbanzos) and freeze them in 2 cup amounts for when I'm in a hurry (I cook them in the crock pot when I do this.)

delarimi~ there was a post in the help section about the trackers. I will look around later tonight or tomorrow and see if I can find it.

delarimi
04-30-2007, 09:04 PM
and I quote
"A smoked turkey wing give this soup its distinctive flavor. If you prefer your soup chunky, shred some of the turkey meat into the soup (which I did) before serving. For a special presentation garnish with light sour cream and chopped red onion" (which I didn't)

makes 6 cup serving
1 tbsp olive oil
3 cloves garlic
1 green pepper, seeded, chopped
1 tsp cumin (I used half)
1 tsp dried oregano
1 bay leaf
2 15-1/2 ounce cans black beans, rinsed and drained
3 cups FF reduced sodium chix broth
1/4 tsp black pepper
1 smoked turkey wing

1 - heat the oil in a large saucepan over med-high head. Add the garlic, onion, bell pepper, cumin oregano, and bay leaf. Cook, stirring occasionally until the veggies begin to soften, about 4 minutes. Add the beans, broth, turkey wing (whole) and blk pepper. Bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat and simmer 12 minutes
2- Place the turkey wing on side, discard bay leaf. Puree the soup in a food processor or blender, in batches if necessary.

per 1 cup serving
135 cal
3 g fat
1 g sat fat
1 mg cholesterol
676 sodium
24 mg total carbohydrate
8 g dietary fiber
8 g protein
72 mg calcium

comments: I really enjoyed this alot. I crumbled the turkey wing on top. It has "staying power"

thanks for the tip about the tracker.. got to go watch Dancing with the stars but will look later :)

Bobbolink
05-01-2007, 07:01 AM
GO TO MAY'S NEW ~FIBER FANATICS~

Jezzabell74
03-14-2008, 03:13 PM
I started the Fiber35 Diet one week ago. Is anoyone having any luck with this diet. I still find that I am pretty hungry sometimes. :dizzy:

GG
05-11-2008, 11:17 AM
Hi,
I just started a version of Fiber 35 counting fiber yesterday. I really need to lose weight and get my cholesterol down. I know this thread is long so maybe we should start a new one. I know you were worried about people posting

Here is my question. I am also counting calories and trying to keep under 1200 cals. A lot of fiber foods have a lot of calories. How do you keep the calories down while still doing the fiber.