General Diet Plans and Questions - The T Factor Diet: Does ANYONE Count Fat Grams Anymore?

Joycelyn
03-31-2007, 03:32 PM
Anyone remember the T-Factor Diet? You counted fat grams and were allowed between 20 - 40 (women) and 30 -60 (men).

I look back over my dieting history and I've tried them ALL. This was the only thing that ever worked for me, long term, so I'm going back to it.

I know counting fat grams isn't "fashionable" anymore, but does anyone still do this? I've dusted off all my old low fat recipes and said good-bye to Atkins, South Beach, Calorie Queens, Core, Weight Watchers, etc.

Just wondering if there was anyone else out there!

alinnell
03-31-2007, 04:33 PM
Although I don't follow the T-Factor diet, I do watch my fat intake. If I have fat, I opt for the better choices for fat (nuts, olive oil, avocados) rather than the poorer choices (fried foods, rich desserts, too much cheese). I can't say how many grams I have per day as I haven't been tracking in fitday for a while.

Neko
03-31-2007, 05:30 PM
I remember doing that diet in the 90's. I'm not currently doing it, but I had good results from it.

If it works for you, then it's a good diet for you. :)

*fondly remembers the processed fat-free carbs of snack-wells* lol

Joycelyn
03-31-2007, 05:38 PM
Neko, you made me laugh! Yes, I fondly remember the fat free Snackwells and Fat Free Entenmanns cakes as well!

In his revised edition of the T-Factor Diet, Dr. Katahn warns about overdoing the sugary fat free stuff and how it can stall weight loss. I really learned from those years of overdoing the fat free but sugar-loaded carbs. Now I eat only whole grains and lots of fiber.

I also bake with a new product called Z-Trim that the 3 fat chicks posted about on the website. It's an awesome fat substitute.

Well, I'm glad at least someone remembers this plan! It really worked for me for so long, I now can't even remember why I went off it, but now I'm here to stay! I did try Volumetrics for a while, but I honestly find counting fat grams a whole lot easier than finding the energy density of a product. And I also tried WW Core, but it wasn't for me. But isn't it great that there's something for everyone!

Joycelyn
03-31-2007, 05:55 PM
Allison, your stats are great. Whatever you're doing, it's working!

alinnell
03-31-2007, 07:13 PM
I also bake with a new product called Z-Trim that the 3 fat chicks posted about on the website. It's an awesome fat substitute.

It is awesome, isn't it? I'm still "learning" how to mix it for best results. I use it mainly in sour cream (cuz I just love sour cream and cannot stand the lf or ff varieties) and in salad dressing (mix it about 1/2 and 1/2 with the store bought kind). It's nice to find something that cuts down on fat without compromising taste or texture.

Allison, your stats are great. Whatever you're doing, it's working!

Thanks, it's taken me some time (15 months and counting). Lately I've been less than motivated but am taking this weekend to get myself back on track. I hope to get to goal by summer.

LaDean
04-01-2007, 12:40 AM
Hi, i am a debetic so have to watch fats yes. but not on the plan. i do not keep it to low as have dry skin when i do. good luck. we have to find that plan that works for us. good for you . LaDean

BabySteps21
01-30-2010, 08:22 AM
I've tried every diet and have had yo-yo results. Recently I saw in Women's World about how the dieters who kept their fat intake low had the best results. That reminded me that following the T-Factor Diet was the only thing that ever worked for me. In the early '90s I lost 35# to get back to my normal weight (125#).

Now firmly planted in menopause my weight has just climbed and climbed, but I refuse to stay this way. I dragged out that book just last week and am beginning again.

And thanks for this, Joycelyn
In his revised edition of the T-Factor Diet, Dr. Katahn warns about overdoing the sugary fat free stuff and how it can stall weight loss. I really learned from those years of overdoing the fat free but sugar-loaded carbs. Now I eat only whole grains and lots of fiber.

joannatkinson
02-02-2010, 08:46 PM
Does anyone know if there is an updated version of the T FACTOR DIET BOOK?

I have to follow a high fiber plan for my condition. Is this a good diet for me? I also need to lose 30 pounds! ;-(

Joycelyn
02-18-2010, 07:26 PM
Hi! Yes, the T Factor diet book was updated in 2001.

I think it's amazing that this book is still in print after over 20 years.

I am now on another plan, but my husband had such great weight loss 20 years ago (circa 1990) on this plan, and he's itching for me to go back on it with him.

Wow, I'm surprised this thread is still around, last time I posted here was 2007 I think. So tell me, are you on the plan now?

Joycelyn
02-18-2010, 07:27 PM
p.s. I think it says a lot for this diet, that the book, originally out in 1987 is still around and in print. I know low carb is the "thing" now, but low fat definitely works!

KforKitty
02-19-2010, 11:10 AM
I didn't follow anyone's diet but did lose all my weight doing a low fat diet. I kept mine to less than 45g a day. It makes sense to me as unless you overdo the fat free sweet goodies by reducing the fat you're automatically reducing the calories as a gram of fat has more than double the calories than a gram of carb or protein. I also chose not to always have the lowest fat/fat free product but would rather have a smaller amount of the normal fat product (especially things like cheese). Anyhow it worked for me and meant I could still have the cereals, rice and grains that I love and could not live without.

Kitty

Joycelyn
02-20-2010, 12:24 PM
Kitty, exactly. 45 grams of fat a day is still pretty low compared to what the average American eats!

Just the other day my husband, wanting to go back to counting fat grams (and me doing all the work - men!), asked me how many fat grams I thought he ate that day. Well, and mind you it was only breakfast he ate, we got close to 50 grams. 50 grams of fat and just for breakfast, can you believe it! That shocked him and he definitely feels he wants to start fat gram counting again.

So this morning he had his favorite health bread, spread with fat free cream cheese and low sugar jelly and he was very satisfied, for a fraction of the fat grams he normally eats.

Yeah, I do believe I will start doing this with him.

I just realize I started this thread in the La Weight loss section. I'm not even sure what LA weight loss is. Sorry, sometimes the forums get confusing to me. :dizzy:

Joycelyn
02-20-2010, 12:25 PM
p.s. Kitty, your stats are awesome. Congratulations! What a fabulous accomplishment.

KforKitty
02-22-2010, 07:24 AM
p.s. Kitty, your stats are awesome. Congratulations! What a fabulous accomplishment.

Thanks, low-fat really does suit me. I'm not quite as strict now I'm maintaining but I can't see I'll ever go back to where I was as I really don't miss most of the junk.

Kitty

petlover
02-23-2010, 12:11 AM
Hi,

I'm not sure if this will be much help, but I just wanted to offer a little anecdote.

My dad went to the doctor and his cholesterol, bp, and blood triglycerides were through the roof. Before they put him on medicine they had him TRY to lose weight (which I am sure they tell everyone. but don't expect much). My dad started eating very low fat and literally lost 30 pounds in a month. Now I know drastic weight loss is bad, but he was definitely getting in the calories per day he needed with carbs, protein, and a little fat. It has worked amazingly for him, so I just like to share because I am proud of him!

PS his numbers were awesome when he went back, the doctor couldn't believe it and he's been maintaining for about a year

bronzeager
02-23-2010, 02:10 AM
Wow, how do you get as low as 40 grams of fat? I'm doing 1450 calories/day and find it almost impossible to get under 45g in a day. And that's with almost all veggies/fruit, rye crackers for bread, no more than 1-2 tsp of added fat like olive oil or reduced-fat mayo or cream cheese a day, skim dairy, lean meats and fish, and cooking for myself (no packaged foods).

What do you eliminate to get to those numbers?

Joycelyn
02-23-2010, 11:04 AM
oh my, I just wrote a long reply, hit the wrong button and LOST it all. Talk about frustration.

I'll start again, and try to keep it simpler.

First of all, petlover congrats on your dad's success. You must be so proud.

bronzeager, I could never get to 40 grams of fat a day eating reduced fat foods. Reduced fat foods are not truly low fat foods. I personally go for the fat free products, like fat free mayo, cream cheese, cottage cheese, nonfat milk, etc. Some low fat products are low enough, like cottage cheese, and some others but not many.

I get my essential fats from fish oil (3 of my monster capsules have 3 grams of fat), and flax meal (2 tb. of my flax meal have 4.5 grams of fat).

We eat the leanest meat like chicken breast, round or sirloin, and pork tenderloin, all excess fat trimmed off. It's amazing how low in fat these meats are, once you cut away the fat. I was a vegetarian, but my husband has convinced me to follow this plan with him, and I'm so excited he wants to lose his weight, I'm just eating the right foods along with him, for ease of preparation.

Lots of beans, which have minimal fats and whole grains which have minimal fats.

It's all explained in the T Factor Diet book. We bought the revised edition in 2001 and finally, due to our ultimate lack of success with calorie counting, low carb diets, and insulin resistance type diets, went back to that book and started following it again, hoping for the same success we achieved in the 90's.

In that book the author talks about the fallacy of the popular media stating that low fat diets are a failure because the public has reduced their fat intake over the years, but gotten fatter. In the book he discusses that lie, that we are still eating almost as much fat as we've ever eaten, but due to certain statistics, it looks like we're eating less fat. Not true. He goes into that in detail, and it's a very impressive read.

Lots of recipes, tips, etc. in the book. Worth it for that alone. He explains why fats are the most calorically dense foods around.

We use a fat gram counter we ordered from the University of Minnesota. It's the most comprehensive fat counter around, but you can buy all sorts of fat gram counters at the local bookstore/amazon.

Well hope this helped! It can be done, and we are doing it. If you are on any of the prescription/over the counter weight loss drugs like Alli or Orlistat (we are not), you MUST eat a very low fat diet, so it can be done.

Joycelyn
02-23-2010, 11:05 AM
p.s. lots of fruits and vegetables, too, which have zero fat.

Joycelyn
02-23-2010, 11:10 AM
o.k. one last p.s. The author does state that we will have limited success if we eat too much sugar, processed carbs, and sugar-laden fat free cakes (which were prevalent in the 90's. Anyone remember those Entemann fat free cakes we all binged on?)...so healthy, low fat, minimally processed carbs are the key.

cookinmary
06-01-2010, 02:29 PM
I have recently gotton out my t-factor book and have been reading it. I plan on starting this program tomorrow (Wed). Is anyone else interested in doing this plan at this time.

It seems to make sense not to eat all that fat. Maybe we could encourage one another.

Any takers?

cookinmary
06-05-2010, 02:23 PM
Well, I have started this program on Wed. June 2. I will post my weigh in next Thursday.

I am finding that this is pretty easy. I feel so free now, with only counting fat grams. And I can stay within my limit as well.

GoldenLeaf
06-05-2010, 10:46 PM
During my teen years (during the 90s) this was all the rage. When I started to get a bit chubby around the age of 15, it was turning to a low-fat, fat-counting diet that helped me. I wasn't overweight though - I probably started doing it when I was about 67kg (so nearly overweight according to my BMI but not quite) and it got me down to 60kg and I stayed that weight for years by watching my fat intake alone. I tried to stay under 20g at first but then went to 30g.

I didn't eat tons of sugar - mostly cereals/grains/veges/fruit. I was vegetarian for a good portion of that time I was a fat counter too.

I was slim, healthy, active and I kept the weight off and only had to actually "count" the fat grams for a few months before I quit that and just "knew" what was high fat and what wasn't. I found it a really easy lifestyle to follow.

Unfortunately I've tried going low fat since - within the last couple of years when I need to lose over twenty kilos just to get to 67kg again - and it just didn't work. I'm counting calories now. I WISH it worked for me still, but it just doesn't seem to agree with me anymore.

cookinmary
06-10-2010, 11:30 AM
Well, Im one week into the program and Im happy to say I have lost three pounds.

I have only exercised four days of that time period. Walking on my treadmill and doing Walk Away the Pounds.

I have finally found a program that works for me.

caryesings
06-10-2010, 12:07 PM
Reading this thread made me curious about where my fat intake stands, as I first started watching my weight when lowfat was the way to go. I've been tracking my intake at mypyramidtracker.gov for more than a year so could run statistics on my averages over the last year. I've been averaging 13.2 gms of saturated fat/day (approx 7.4% of daily total calories) and 41.2 gms total fat/day (@23% of daily total).

That stays withing the guidelines that gives me "smiley faces" on that site and in addition to weight loss my annual lipid panel has improved from "borderline" to "very good".

Ellie Hastings
07-02-2010, 06:31 PM
I kinda lean toward this program, although I don't follow it to the letter. Does anyone remember the rule, "no more than 3 fat grams per 100 calories" on this plan? I think I got this from T-Factor. I am on 55 fat grams/day for now and will lower it as I go along.

Ellie

GoldenLeaf
07-02-2010, 06:34 PM
Heh. After saying earlier in the thread that I don't count fat grams any more, I've been keeping a measure the past two weeks and I've experienced some good results and found it really easy, so I'm going to keep up the fat gram counting for now and see how it goes.

Ellie Hastings
07-03-2010, 12:50 PM
I with ya, Goldenleaf. I'm gonna try to kick off this round of weight-loss with this plan, first, since I had success with it back in the '90s. Last night was rough, for I was starving at 9:00pm and broke down and had a peanut butter sandwich! Need to add some more protien in the mix. ;)

Ellie

picadillo
09-15-2010, 03:16 PM
Does anyone have the T-factor recipe for Picadillo & Cornbread? I went to get my old recipe book but must have lost it in a recent move. It has beans, raisins, cumin, tomato something, red/orange/green bell peppers, and ?????

picadillo
09-18-2010, 09:04 AM
Where do replies to my inquiry show up?

TexasTopaz
10-23-2010, 12:07 AM
Counting fat grams worked beautifully for me and I am VERY sorry that I stopped. I gained a lot of weight when I tried other eating approaches so I am going back to fat gram counting. I just hope it is still effective for me as I am now 15 years older!

sweetea
02-09-2011, 04:48 PM
Well, I'm glad this eating plan is still kind of in existence around here, because that's what I'm doing. I started T Factor today.

TxSunflower
05-21-2011, 04:43 PM
I used this method back in the 90's to lose pregnancy weight and lost that and way more. I was the smallest I've ever been as an adult using this method. Experienced a death in the family and started emotional eating so gained back all the lost weight plus more :stress:

I decided today to get back to business and started looking for my T factor book but can't find it. From previous posts I see it has been updated.

Good luck to all you who are trying to lose weight!

Maddiek
05-24-2011, 08:38 PM
I am so back on T factor.I lost 35 pounds in 3 1/2 months on it about 10 years ago. Have gained this past few years. (Mid life, lazy,eating high fat foods again!)
have tried the new points plus WW.. not working very well, and way too much trouble to do points..I already have all the fat grams memorized, and have a ton of great recipes.It is a way of life, pretty easy to KEEP eating that way. I exercised an hour a day last time, am doing that too.this will be my first week back on fat gram counting vs. points. I've got all my T factor books back out-- it's healthy too! I do need a meeting and a weight in so I am sticking with the WW meeting for a couple of months,I think. Or,will start my own group!???? :carrot:

Gabby11
06-09-2011, 09:07 AM
I used this method back in the 90's to lose pregnancy weight and lost that and way more. I was the smallest I've ever been as an adult using this method. Experienced a death in the family and started emotional eating so gained back all the lost weight plus more :stress:

I decided today to get back to business and started looking for my T factor book but can't find it. From previous posts I see it has been updated.

Good luck to all you who are trying to lose weight!

I also used this diet many years ago. I started it again May 1st and have lost 12 pounds so far. I purchased the updated t factor booklet on Walmart website, they don't sell it in their stores. Good Luck to you too :)

Joycelyn
06-12-2011, 07:07 PM
I ordered the book from amazon. They have the upated version there too!

Glad to see fat gram counting isn't entirely dead! I could be wrong, but I heard those on Alli ( the non prescription weight loss drug), must count fat grams too. So I guess we can partially thank Alli for keeping this way of eating going!:carrot:

mimi86
06-13-2011, 03:10 PM
I'd think that the success of counting fats or not depends on what you find yourself eating the most. All of my extra weight came from overdoing carbs, not fats...I barely ever eat fatty food! Even now, since my fats typically come into my diet with my proteins, I'll limit myself to one fatty protein per day if any at all...like hot dogs or bologna or other 'not so good for you' meats.

Gabby11
07-22-2011, 10:56 AM
Just wanted to update my results with the T factor diet. I am now down 21 pounds since May 1st. I purchased a T factor book for my Daughter and she is starting to see results. Good luck to all who are following this diet, keep up the good work!

Gabby11
09-25-2011, 12:15 PM
Hi everyone. I have another update on my results with the T Factor diet I started on May 1st. I'm am now down 32 and 1/2 pounds. Anyone out there who is still doing this diet? Good Luck to all who are struggling with weight issues :)

Gabby11
01-09-2012, 10:54 AM
I would really like to hear from anyone out there who is still following the t factor diet. I am now down 43 pounds since May of 2011. Maybe we could help each other out with tips on eating healthy low fat foods that taste good and satisfy. Thanks in advance :)

2stubborn2giveup
01-22-2012, 10:04 AM
Congratulations Gabby11 and thank you to all who have posted about the T Factor! For some reason, I've kept my book although I've thrown out or donated many other diet books over the years. Why did I ever think the newest diet book or plan knew more than I did? Anyway, thank you for the inspiring posts. It'll be interesting to see my results by spring!

Gabby11
01-26-2012, 11:22 AM
Good Luck 2stubborn2giveup! I will keep you posted on my progress. So far I have hit a plateau and waiting for my weight to start dropping again.

Lis
10-12-2012, 02:43 PM
I have been on this forever and it truely works....I am relieved to see more people than me having brilliant effects of this way...even though I have so much experience my awarenss of others having similar experience is of tremendous value <3

ringmaster
10-14-2012, 12:38 PM
I think it's not as popular anymore because I think back then people weren't too aware of "good" fats? But I read people still do count fat grams... I know bodybuilders do and try to keep the macro nutrients within a certain range, kind of like the zone diet.

JP Mahler
10-16-2012, 10:34 PM
I stumbled on this site and thought I would sign up and offer my thoughts. I have lost over 120 pounds over a 2 1/2 year period by alternating between a lo carb diet and a lo fat diet. Basically I'm on Atkins from March through September and then I switch to T Factor from October through February. I feel that I have more need of increasing my carb intake during the fall/ winter months, which allows me to eat those delicious Fall fruits which are higher in carbs. I also want some rich soups, dark bread, brown rice, and a potato now and then during the colder months. I cut back of course on the red meats and other higher fat products such as bleu cheese dressing. Anyway I have found that by splitting my diet programs in this fashion, it gives me variety and allows me to continue to lose.

Karen
06-12-2014, 07:08 PM
Anyone still do the T-Factor. My Dad told me he has been doing this and is down about 25 pounds. I dug out all my diet books and found both the original book and the updated version. I've never tried this one and just curious. I really feel better when I'm off the carbs but I just can't stick to it. What is the difference in the old and updated?

girl81
06-15-2014, 05:53 PM
When you do low carb are you doing taking in enough fat?

sluggo88
06-16-2014, 10:07 AM
Karen you got me to where I wanted to find out also the difference in the old and new. Pulled out both books and pretty much the old version The Rotation Diet vs the T-Factor is the quick melt diet in the T-Factor is almost exactly the same as the diet from The Rotation book

gettingbackinmyjeans
08-26-2014, 08:40 PM
Good Luck 2stubborn2giveup! I will keep you posted on my progress. So far I have hit a plateau and waiting for my weight to start dropping again.

Hey there! I just found this thread after buying the book. If you are still around, what was your typical day's meal plan like?
Congrats on the success!