General chatter - Courtney Love Loses 44 Pounds!

View Full Version : Courtney Love Loses 44 Pounds!

NemesisClaws
03-30-2007, 09:48 PM
http://img2-preview.timeinc.net/people/i/2007/news/070409/courtney_love180.jpg http://www.people.com/people/article/0,,20016348,00.html

According to this article, she's lost about 44 pounds due to exercise, and macrobiotic eating! Frankly you can't even tell that it's her in this photo! All I gots to say is congrats Court! :carrot:

RocknRoll
03-30-2007, 09:58 PM
I for one do not believe she did it the healthy way. She lost weight very fast and her stomach looks a little... rippled. Also, she wants to lose another 6-11 pounds? Isn't she thin enough already?

NemesisClaws
03-30-2007, 10:06 PM
True, I don't think she needs to lose any more, but as far as losing this weight fast, keep in mind she's been out of the public eye for quite a while, I think a year at least.

redlight
03-30-2007, 10:44 PM
She looks way too skinny. Her ribs are showing and her boobs are gone.

Gamerchick
03-31-2007, 01:06 AM
Yeah, congrats to her, but it is very easy to be sucked into the unhealthy ways when you want to lose weight, and she definitely looks like an "ana girl".

LindseyLouWho
03-31-2007, 01:23 AM
Toooooo skinny. At least from what I can tell. Reminds me of those pictures in the tabloids of Nicole Richie.

GreatBigMonsterMomma
03-31-2007, 02:34 AM
She looks way too skinny. Her ribs are showing and her boobs are gone.

Exactly what I was thinking. Typical Hollywood, but very much not healthy.

jillybean720
03-31-2007, 08:56 AM
I agree--I saw that picture and thought, "eewwww, why would you congratulate someone for doing THAT to their body?!" I think she needs to GAIN about 6-11 pounds, and then maybe do some strength training--her stomach looks really weird.

melekalikimaka
03-31-2007, 11:59 AM
The word emaciated comes to mind...

FrouFrou
03-31-2007, 12:17 PM
She is definitely too skinny now.

walking2lose
03-31-2007, 12:32 PM
Yep. Too skinny.

Doughnut
03-31-2007, 12:37 PM
This is why women are so screwed up about their looks. A woman goes and loses weight, looks really good and a load of apparently jealous, fatter women attack her for it saying that she must have done it unhealthily and that now she's too thin. Can't possibly have done it healthily because that makes us failures. Same old bleating story.

SavingServo
03-31-2007, 12:49 PM
]I personally think she looks disproportional. And I don't know where she thinks that last 6-11 pounds is going to come from.

And Doughnut I think people honestly don't think she looks good. The picture's not a great one to be sure, but she really doesn't look all that great. Google her, when she was in her old band and popular that's when she looked really good.

http://www.routergod.com/images/courtney_love_tab.jpg

melekalikimaka
03-31-2007, 12:53 PM
I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder, because I personally don't think that Courtney looks "really good", and certainly not healthy. It has nothing to do with my failure or success in losing weight. I'm using my eyes to form this opinion and didn't speculate how she lost it.

MariaMaria
03-31-2007, 01:09 PM
This is why women are so screwed up about their looks. A woman goes and loses weight, looks really good and a load of apparently jealous, fatter women attack her for it saying that she must have done it unhealthily and that now she's too thin. Can't possibly have done it healthily because that makes us failures. Same old bleating story.

Agreed entirely.

junebug41
03-31-2007, 01:27 PM
] The picture's not a great one to be sure, but she really doesn't look all that great. Google her, when she was in her old band and popular that's when she looked really good.

But wasn't she on heroin?

SavingServo
03-31-2007, 01:46 PM
But wasn't she on heroin?

Depends on when exactly you're talking about and who you're talking to. She may have been using at the time I posted the picture (I just got it off google), but it's hard to tell. A few year later it's... not so hard to tell.

GatorgalstuckinGA
03-31-2007, 05:02 PM
Personally i have seen a lot of pics of ppl who do macrobiotics and it seems to make the stick thin...I really don't care how she did it...fast, slow, proper, or improper...i personally think she looks sick...ribs showing and she looks like she could be broeken with a hug. She looks unhealthy in that pics. Good for her for loosing weight. But personally i think if she wants to loose another 6-7 pounds that's insane. She already looks like someone needs to give her a cheesebuger...and usually pictures add weight. That's just a scary pics. Too little muscle and too much bones showing. I'm not condeming her for loosing weight...just condeming her for being on the scary thin side of life. Reminds me of pics of ppl with anorexia (not saying that's her case...just stating what it looks like).

GatorgalstuckinGA
03-31-2007, 05:13 PM
In response to Donuts statement (sorry don't know how to quote ppl)
I am fat...but not jealous. And personally i won't attack her other that to say that to me she appears unhealthy and bone thin (esp if she wants to loose more wt). I think what is worse for women is when media attacks those that have curves.. I'm all about being in a healthy weight range..i might emphasize...HEALTHY. For example...it really angered me what the media did to Tyra. Personally i thought she looked great in those pics. I do however think courtney looks really really thin. And yes she may have lost weight natually and safely...but i still can say that i think she looks too thin..to the point of unhealthiness. I wish other ppl would stop attacking any star that's "Gained" a few pounds and then i think we'd see a lot less eating issues like mary kate had trying to make sure no one says they are fat!!!!

Gamerchick
03-31-2007, 05:41 PM
It's not really jealousy for me. It's irritation, because half the time celebrities don't have much of a weight issue, then they go all anorexic on people for attention, under pressure, all those things. And it's really the pettiest thing...because eating disorders stem from over worry from body image (not in all cases, but mostly).

It just really...REALLY gets old.

jennylou
03-31-2007, 05:48 PM
It's not jealousy for me, I think she looks skeletal. Like she's fragile.

When Jennifer Anniston lost all her weight (and I thought she looked good to start), at least we can say that she looks healthy - with muscle tone.

freiamaya
03-31-2007, 05:50 PM
She seems to be on the thought path of the current theory that underweight people will live much longer (calorie restrictive diets, NOT anorexia). Low weight does NOT equal eating disorder. I personally would LOVE to have people tell me to GAIN weight. And, everyone has an opinion. I second the sentiment that if you need to lose weight, everyone will tell you. If you LOSE weight, people will criticize you. If you are muscular, you look "too manly". If you aren't, you "look like a pro-ANA girl". How hard it must be to live by these standards.

lizziness
03-31-2007, 07:07 PM
all I can say is that I feel sorry for her daughter. That poor girl must have had the most bizzare upbringing of any of the kids with famous parents...

If Love is even at a point in her life when she can think about her weight and health, I think that's great. She has been such a mess for so long it's just good to see her in the news for something other than her drug use.

Gamerchick
03-31-2007, 07:13 PM
Just a random fact...there's a manga (comic book) with a character entirely based off of Courtney Love called Princess Ai.

-=shrugs=- XD

jillybean720
03-31-2007, 07:35 PM
There are a lot of us who never said she did it in an unealthy way. I've never personally met Courtney Love--she could have done it in the healthiest way humanly possible for all I know. All I DO know is that the woman in that pictures looks in danger of being blown away by a heavy gust of wind--her stomach looks oddly rippled instead of toned, and you can see bones protruding where they shouldn't be. There are plenty of thin women who I think look fabulous, but I am certainly not jealous of those who look sickly.

Isn't it JUST as judgemental of you to assume we are all jealous as it is for anyone to assume she lost her weight in an unhealthy manner?

GatorgalstuckinGA
03-31-2007, 07:59 PM
i would much rather look like Selma Hiyac (sp?) any day of the week...darn those curves...vavavavooooom. LMAO now that is a knock out of a person and most definately more healthy looking...and btw...very jealous of her looks...would LOVE to look like she does.

Suzanne 3FC
03-31-2007, 11:03 PM
I don't have a clue how she lost the weight, and I don't really care. I saw the photo of her in her swimsuit and I felt a little upset because she looks as thin as Nicole Richie, and I'm not sure our pro-ana friends need another celebrity stick figure as a role model.

Now if you want to accuse me of being jealous of another woman's body - Holy cow, have you seen Nigella Lawson? :faint: Hips and all. Why can't more women desire to have that kind of body?

lizziness
03-31-2007, 11:45 PM
no kidding! I would love to be all curvy and sexy. No desire to look like I died a month ago...

sweet_talker
04-01-2007, 12:39 AM
omg!!! I soooo thought of Nigella as someone whose body I covet! :o

GreatBigMonsterMomma
04-01-2007, 01:04 AM
Yeah, like someone else said, if I'm going to be jealous of a thinner celeb's body, it's going to be Salma Hayek.

I don't know if Courtney Love lost weight in a healthful manner or not. I don't keep up with celebrity news except as I stumble across it on websites or hear about it on the radio (and why, I ask you, is Sean Hannity always yapping about celebrities?). So for all I know she could have simply eaten smaller portions of healthy foods.

But she is too thin. I do not doubt that her body type is acceptable in Hollywood, but most starlets are underweight by any measure of the term. Any time you can see bones that easily just by looking at a picture, it's too far gone to be thin. Healthy body fat percentage for a woman Courtney's age (she's in her late-30s, right?) is roughly from 22% up to 30%. I sincerely doubt she's in that range. It's not jealousy to point out that she looks unhealthy any more than it's jealousy to say I think Nirvana was terribly overrated.

LindseyLouWho
04-01-2007, 02:59 AM
I, for one, can say that I am not jealous of her. I'm fat, yes, but not jealous. There are some people that are thin that look healthy, and there are others that don't. Those with ribs showing and without any muscle tone, etc. are not the kind of thin that I'd want to be. Pass her photo around a group of women who ARE normal sized/fit, and I bet a lot of them would agree with us "jealous" fatter women.

My point is, that it's judgmental for anyone to say "You're just jealous because you WISH you could look like that." It always reminds me of when they're making fun of some person on TV because they're a 40 year old man who's unemployed and lives with his mother and walks around with cheetos under his fingernails, and he replies with "You're just jealous!!" lol. :D

Doughnut
04-01-2007, 04:57 AM
My point is, that it's judgmental for anyone to say "You're just jealous because you WISH you could look like that."

Yes it probably was judgemental of me but no more so than the tens of posters who jumped on here to have a go at her. I know she's a "celebrity" and therefore allegedly fair game but it doesn't seem right to me that we're always criticizing other people's bodies - too fat, too thin, whatever. This site is generally a supportive place and bodies are the focus of it. If this were a goal picture of someone on the site she never would have been attacked in that way.

Whoever said beauty is in the eye of the beholder is right. I personlly think Love looks great but can see a lot of you do not and we all have the right to that opinion. Nigella Lawson - beautiful face but she's overweight. I'm not saying she doesn't look great, she does, but at a UK size 16 (where our outsize clothing shops start) she is overweight. There is nothing particularly wrong or right with this but I would rather have Love's body that Lawson's. That is my opinion and I am entitled to it too. Having said that I'm ashamed that I've even posted that comparison at all because I really do feel that this constant microscopic examination and comparisons of women's bodies has led to millions of women leading miserable lives obsessed with food.

Sorry Nemesisclaw - didn't mean to ruin your thread.

rockinrobin
04-01-2007, 09:24 AM
Now if you want to accuse me of being jealous of another woman's body - Holy cow, have you seen Nigella Lawson? :faint: Hips and all. Why can't more women desire to have that kind of body?

I'm just reading this thread now. As for Courtney Love, Nicole Richie, Jennifer Anniston and all the rest of Hollywood I really don't care what the heck they do to themselves. I don't think it's up to them to set an example to young women. What they do is their own business. They have no importance in my life. I'm really not sure why women think they have to be like people they don't even know or care about. If I was going to want to be like them, gosh I'd rather have their MONEY. And the truth of the matter is I stand a lot better chance of being wealthy then I ever do of looking like them.

Why can't more women desire to make the best of their OWN bodies?

There are definitely some stunning "bigger" girls out there. And for sure Nigella is one of them as is Laila Ali on Dancing with the Stars, man she's GORGEOUS, and Queen Latifiah just to name a few. They are gorgeous and sexy, but you know what - I'm never gonna look like them either. I just want to be the best *Robin* that I can be. That's all. No use wishing I looked like anyone else, what would be the point - it's just not going to happen.

jules1216
04-01-2007, 10:27 AM
When one of my coworkers went through "empty nest" and went back to college to finish her teaching degree she started to exercise and diet to lose weight. At first she looked really good. She is about 5'7' and started out in the 140's. She started getting toned and had a really great healthy glow to her, but she still thought she needed to lose a little more, before she quit her job at the place I work she started looking dangerously thin, she was around 120 and her bones were really started to show and she still was not happy with where she was weight wise. I saw her the other day and it was kind of scary, she probably weighs around 100 pounds and has a gray palor. She's going to be a grandmother and I hope it will make her see that she needs to be healthier if she wants to be around for the baby.

aphil
04-01-2007, 10:34 AM
I am going to say that I believe beauty is definitely in the eye of the beholder...but I think the problem with the media, is that they are influencing young girls into thinking that beauty is 90 pounds, 5 foot 10, spray tanned, airbrushed, and bleached blonde highlighted with porcelain veneered teeth and acrylic nails. :lol:

I am in a profession that is very pro-WOMAN. In belly dancing apparel, most companies don't even call larger costumes plus sized, they call them goddess sized instead. ;)

The most beautiful thing that I could possibly ever, ever hear was in class a few weeks ago. There is a mother and her teen daughter in one of my classes, and I was teaching belly rolls. I overheard the daughter (who has a perfect figure) telling her mother that she couldn't do it because she "didn't have enough belly" to show the roll.

Another woman approached me in class Wednesday night, asking me after class if she was doing okay, because her movements don't show as much on her as they do on some of the larger women in class. :) (This woman is about a size 4.)

I am all for fitness and weight loss, obviously-but I am very proud to be in a profession that supports REAL sizes and healthy weights-and not everyone trying to be a size 0, 2, or 4-when those sizes and weights are not attainable for every woman. Some women are fit and healthy at a size 8, or a size 12, depending on their bodies-but if they were celebrities, every tabloid in the world would be saying that they were morbidly obese-just like they are doing to Tyra Banks.

~I think Angelica Houston, with her strong bone structure and graceful aging is 10,000 times more beautiful than Joan Rivers-who looks hideous with all her plastic surgery because she is obviously afraid of aging.

~I think Catherine Bach was a much better Daisy Duke than Jessica Simpson.

~I think Drew Barrymore, with her curves, is much more beautiful than Nicole Richie, the stick figure.

I am all about promoting fitness and a healthy lifestyle-but not promoting stick skinny, veneered, bleached and tanned "media perfection". What Hollywood sees as desireable and perfect, to me, just seems gross and unhealthy.

almostheaven
04-01-2007, 11:14 AM
OMG! Names I recognize! Jennifer Anniston, Drew Barrymore and Catherine Bach. But who the heck are all these other people??? I've HEARD of Courney Love, of course, but wouldn't have known her by any picture. But these others? Man, I need to start watching more TV. ;) ;) ;)

Does the OP picture look good? Hmmm...her figure is "OK", stress that. Nothing to write home about. The legs are rail thin, and her tummy ripply. A tummy tuck might solve the ripples, put a little meat on the thighs. I think she's just a wee too skinny, but not the dangerous skinny of anorexia.

But I don't think any of that is what makes her not look too good to me. TO ME, she looks sickly white and haggard and drawn. Like she's been on a 6 month drug binge instead of a 6 month diet. I got a cousin 10 to 1 smaller than her and yet she doesn't give me this sickly image. She's naturally thin and can't gain weight. 113 was her highest and that was at 9 months pregnant! Yikes! But she doesn't have ripples. And like my own tummy, I guess that comes with the having the weight to lose territory. We've stretched. And now we may shrink, but sadly, our skin didn't. Yet even if we remove the ripples, I still see her face in that pic and she just LOOKS sick to me. Oh well, now I think I'm rambling.

BerkshireGrl
04-01-2007, 11:22 AM
I'm all for healthy weight loss, and thin can look great, but I gonna have to come down on the side here that thinks Courtney looks haggard in this photo.

Then again, I'm not exactly in a place to throw stones, heh! :lol:

Of course, my ideal is more along the lines of Salma Hayek (previously mentioned), Lucy Lawless as Xena, or basically any woman that looks like she could have stepped off the cover of some cheesy fantasy novel ;) So I have my biases.

lizziness
04-01-2007, 01:11 PM
i agree she looks more like she's been doing more drugs than dieting. i am definately not jealous of her because being me, even obese, has GOT to be easier than being her any day.

msnewbooty
04-01-2007, 01:44 PM
1. I agree that we, as a society, need to stop criticizing each other for ANYTHING. Too fat, too skinny, too short, TOO whatever. Who is our measuring stick here?? We're all totally different people with different tastes/bodies/thoughts...how can I dare say anyone is "too..." anything, when they have the understandable right to say I'm "not enough..."?

We just end up talking in circles.

2. Courtney Love isnt the best person to be discussing in regards to weight loss, either. If anyone is even a bit familiar with her story, life, and history, you'll know this recent loss probably has little to do with true health. She's always been a somewhat normal weight, and assumingly has had no major health problems. I dont realistically see a doctor informing her she NEEDS to lose weight. But sure, getting healthy and getting toned can do good for ANYbody. But I dont see her out running marathons or swimming laps now either. I've read plenty of articles on Ms. Love and seen her in recent and older interviews...she's still struggling with her drug addiction - and as an outsider looking in, going on this picture alone, I think drugs are playing a role here.

3. I believe society needs to turn more away from "accept bigger bodies" to "Accept ALL Bodies". I'm sure some of you have seen the new Dove campaign about beauty for everyone. They are featuring models old and young, "big" and "little", all colors and shades of colors - all smiling. I LOVE that idea and hope other corporations and companies join in with Dove's idea. Once we all start looking at each others as individuals on our own paths and accept that for exactly what it is, the world will be a much better place.

[cue cheesy end of movie music ;) ]

junebug41
04-01-2007, 01:59 PM
1. I agree that we, as a society, need to stop criticizing each other for ANYTHING. Too fat, too skinny, too short, TOO whatever. Who is our measuring stick here?? We're all totally different people with different tastes/bodies/thoughts...how can I dare say anyone is "too..." anything, when they have the understandable right to say I'm "not enough..."?

We just end up talking in circles.

2. Courtney Love isnt the best person to be discussing in regards to weight loss, either. If anyone is even a bit familiar with her story, life, and history, you'll know this recent loss probably has little to do with true health. She's always been a somewhat normal weight, and assumingly has had no major health problems. I dont realistically see a doctor informing her she NEEDS to lose weight. But sure, getting healthy and getting toned can do good for ANYbody. But I dont see her out running marathons or swimming laps now either. I've read plenty of articles on Ms. Love and seen her in recent and older interviews...she's still struggling with her drug addiction - and as an outsider looking in, going on this picture alone, I think drugs are playing a role here.

3. I believe society needs to turn more away from "accept bigger bodies" to "Accept ALL Bodies". I'm sure some of you have seen the new Dove campaign about beauty for everyone. They are featuring models old and young, "big" and "little", all colors and shades of colors - all smiling. I LOVE that idea and hope other corporations and companies join in with Dove's idea. Once we all start looking at each others as individuals on our own paths and accept that for exactly what it is, the world will be a much better place.

[cue cheesy end of movie music ;) ]

Very well said.

nelie
04-01-2007, 02:04 PM
I know this is a controversial topic, but I too have to say I saw the photo and thought the poster was saying she is anorexic and is going into rehab or something for it. When I came back and saw it was meant as a congratulatory post, I was surprised. If I had a daughter, I'd definitely not want this to be her role model for how to look.

In general, I think we should strive for healthfulness, no matter the weight. Personally, I'm not jealous of super skinny girls because that isn't where I even plan to be at my goal weight. I would like to lose another 60 lbs but I'm not sure what I'd want to do beyond that and that may be it. One of the hardest things I have to struggle with in my weight loss is I'm happy with my weight and body right now. I'm thrilled to have lost 100 lbs and to be the skinniest I've ever been in my life. My struggle to lose more weight deals with the fact that if I never lost another lb, I'd be happy.

LindseyLouWho
04-01-2007, 03:01 PM
I think, also, besides the physical appearance of Courtney Love, is that we all have a preconceived notion about her general "health". If it was someone else, we may not have all so quickly jumped aboard the unhealthy weight loss train. For years now, when we've seen Courtney Love in magazines and tabloids, it's been for tons of drug use and other negative things. So I think it's natural for us to assume this is no different, even if this is just a natural occurrence of her eating a macrobiotic diet.

I agree with Queen Latifah and Laila Ali being great inspirations though. Queen Latifah, even if she is larger, never looks "out of shape" to me (I think I remember hearing that she does work out A LOT), and Laila Ali is a boxer AND a graceful dancer (at least this season on TV:)). I've never aspired to be stick thin, just regular sized. I've never known what that's like, at least not since being a very young child, and so I don't think my brain can even fathom wanting to be a stick. :) But yeah, that may change once I get closer to goal. Maybe the difference between a size 4 and a size 6 will actually MEAN something to me later on.

Sorry for rambling... haha.

trekkiegirl
04-01-2007, 03:39 PM
I agree with the consensus. Courtney Love looks emaciated. Laila Ali (http://www.tastyclips.com/content/images/LailaAli1.jpg)...wow. Strength, muscles, yet still very feminine looking. I've even heard a few comments about Cheryl Burke (http://www.nypost.com/seven/10012006/photos/tv002a.jpg) being fat. GMAB! Just because the woman has curves and isn't a stick figure. I'll take her body and the talent she has any day! :D As a woman, I love watching her dance, because I think she's amazingly talented and doesn't look like a barbie doll.

Joan Rivers...don't get me started. I can't believe this woman is hocking beauty products. Every time I see her I want to scream, get this phony off my tv. You want to see ageless beauty? Look at Sophia Loren (http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/41530000/jpg/_41530052_sophiaafp416.jpg).

As for youthful beauty, I think Ugly Betty's America Ferrera (http://images.usatoday.com/life/_photos/2006/10/05/betty-transform.jpg) is gorgeous. She glows.

maegdaeien
04-01-2007, 04:15 PM
There isn't a doubt in my mind that Courtney Love lost her weight in an unhealthy way. From the look of this picture, that poundage went away FAR too quickly for her skin to catch up (and no, she wasn't originally big enough to have lots of excess skin):

http://www.dlisted.com/files/courtgross.jpg

I think the way celebrities treat weight is disgusting. They resort to drastic measures to lose, and then say it was natural-- which sends the message to us normal folk that we can be skinny quickly and naturally as well, and when we can't we get discouraged. Hello, eating disorders.

People may disagree with this, but I actually do think that the media is getting (a little) better. America Ferrera and Jennifer Hudson are both media darlings right now, and I've yet to see one negative word about their weight.

rockinrobin
04-01-2007, 04:55 PM
Marilyn Monroe is another one who comes to mind. She wasn't a stick either. And she was what, only the biggest sex symbol around. Ever. Still to this day. Wasn't she a size 10 or 12?

nelie
04-01-2007, 05:04 PM
Marilyn Monroe is another one who comes to mind. She wasn't a stick either. And she was what, only the biggest sex symbol around. Ever. Still to this day. Wasn't she a size 10 or 12?

Yes she was around a current size 10 or 12.

I always admire girls that aren't bony myself. I was shocked when I heard that some of the tabloids were criticizing Tyra Banks for gaining a few lbs. It is hard to be a model and be super thin. Let the girl eat!

Here is a snippet about the article People published about her.

http://www.people.com/people/article/0,,20009611,00.html

aphil
04-01-2007, 05:11 PM
Yeah-that is what I meant by the media in my earlier post-a 5'10" woman who is 160 pounds like Tyra is now after retiring from modeling-and the tabloids make it sound like she is morbidly obese!!!! This would be equivalent to a more average height woman around 5'5" weighing about 140ish.

It is ridiculous.

nelie
04-01-2007, 05:21 PM
Ohh even better. Apparently Tyra poised recently on Sports Illustrated. She has a bikini shot. This picture compares her 140 lb body of 10 years ago to her 160 lb body of today. Her 160 lb body is definitely something to be envied!! (Yes she is airbrushed as all models are for cover shots but I also saw the video of her in the same bikini and she looked amazing)

shrinkingchica
04-01-2007, 05:34 PM
Yes she was around a current size 10 or 12. [Marilyn Monroe]

No, actually. This is an urban myth. She was actually what would now be a US size 6 roughly.

"We can at least establish a range of measurements for Marilyn Monroe based on the available sources:

Height: 5 feet, 5½ inches
Weight: 118-140 pounds
Bust: 35-37 inches
Waist: 22-23 inches
Hips: 35-36 inches
Bra size: 36D" --- http://www.snopes.com/movies/actors/mmdress.htm

veggielover
04-01-2007, 05:45 PM
T America Ferrera and Jennifer Hudson are both media darlings right now, and I've yet to see one negative word about their weight.

OH MY GOD. Does anyone else here love American Ferrera as much as I do? (From Ugly Betty?)

Betty Suarez is my role model- smart, clever, sassy, a little absent minded at times and always bubbly. I love her to death.

veggielover
04-01-2007, 05:47 PM
No, actually. This is an urban myth. She was actually what would now be a US size 6 roughly.

Yeah I totallu agree with today's changing sizes. I went to buy vintage t shirts once and a women's large was like today's XS. Boy, every woman must've been like Sandy from Grease!

trekkiegirl
04-01-2007, 06:03 PM
OH MY GOD. Does anyone else here love American Ferrera as much as I do? (From Ugly Betty?)
Betty Suarez is my role model- smart, clever, sassy, a little absent minded at times and always bubbly. I love her to death.

Me, too! :cp: I also love how Betty and her family are basically the happiest, most well-adjusted characters. They actually *like* one another. :D And I'm dying for Betty & Henry to heat up. Geek love...sigh. :love:

I mentioned earlier I think America looks great. I know she used to be heavier than she currently is, but she seems comfortable in her body now. She looks healthy and radiant. I like the idea that she and the show are making young girls feel better about themselves. And that, even though the main setting is the fashion magazine, that whole environment with the stick-figure models and the lack of real food in the cafeteria is depicted more as satire than serious. I love the whole tack of how most of the characters make fun of Betty but the show really makes more fun of them. :p

nelie
04-01-2007, 06:29 PM

"We can at least establish a range of measurements for Marilyn Monroe based on the available sources:

Height: 5 feet, 5½ inches
Weight: 118-140 pounds
Bust: 35-37 inches
Waist: 22-23 inches
Hips: 35-36 inches
Bra size: 36D" --- http://www.snopes.com/movies/actors/mmdress.htm

I actually got the size 12 from Snopes. The urban myth was that she wore a current size 16 which isn't true. Sizes have changed quite a bit.

A woman of Marilyn's height, at the extreme of Marilyn's weight range (140 lbs), would probably wear a size 12 dress today (which is the same dress size listed for Marilyn in the book The Unabridged Marilyn). Perhaps at one time she did wear dresses that might have been considered size 16 (or even 18) back in the 1950s, but she almost certainly did not wear dresses equivalent to today's size 16.

shrinkingchica
04-01-2007, 08:10 PM
Well, from personal experience, (I am 1.5" shorter than she was, and I know that all people have different body types and sizes, ect, ect.) that I am at her highest weight right now and I am an inch and a half shorter (read: stockier). I am a 12 in dresses because of my boobs (same size as Marilyn's) but in jeans I am an 8. And I can only imagine (*hope*) that accounting for the fact that for each extra inch of height one is "allowed" 5lbs to their body weight; if I lose another 8lbs that I might be able to wear a 6 (at least at some places, maybe). And then we also have to note that that is at her HIGHEST weight, goodness knows how tiny she must have been at 5'5" and 118!!!! That is probably a current size 0.

maalisse
04-01-2007, 08:31 PM
And then we also have to note that that is at her HIGHEST weight, goodness knows how tiny she must have been at 5'5" and 118!!!! That is probably a current size 0.
I suppose it depends how she carried it; I'm 5'5", and I have big ol' hips; when I was 115 lb back in 1995/96, I wore a size 10-11 pants (before vanity sizing, but I imagine that would still be an 8 or so). Given that Marilyn had very curvy hips, she may have been a larger size than today's 0...who knows?

At any rate, she was gorgeous. :)

redlight
04-01-2007, 09:31 PM
Did you ever see Nicole Ritchie before she lost weight? She had a cute, curvy figure.

nelie
04-01-2007, 09:54 PM
Well, from personal experience, (I am 1.5" shorter than she was, and I know that all people have different body types and sizes, ect, ect.) that I am at her highest weight right now and I am an inch and a half shorter (read: stockier). I am a 12 in dresses because of my boobs (same size as Marilyn's) but in jeans I am an 8. And I can only imagine (*hope*) that accounting for the fact that for each extra inch of height one is "allowed" 5lbs to their body weight; if I lose another 8lbs that I might be able to wear a 6 (at least at some places, maybe). And then we also have to note that that is at her HIGHEST weight, goodness knows how tiny she must have been at 5'5" and 118!!!! That is probably a current size 0.

I guess it also depends when that article was written. Sizes are changing constantly to keep up with our ever increasing bodies. Plus sizes I think are the worst. I'm in that weird stage where my top doesn't really fit plus sizes any more but it also doesn't really fit normal sizes either. Lane Bryant has started making size 12 because they've shifted their sizes so much.

Genesis
04-01-2007, 10:46 PM
I've heard from multiple sources that based on today's sizes, Marilyn would be a size five or six. Apparnetly her white dress in The Seven Year Itch is about a current size five, but it was a size 12 back in the 50s. Even a size five/six is large for today's hollywood standards. I'm a size six and I certainly don't feel small. I also feel like a fraud wearing a size six. I'm a size 10 in 6 clothing....last time I was at this weight I wore a size 10. The vanity sizing in this country is just plain stupid. We're getting so fat a size 6 now has to fit a size 10. I feel sorry for truly tiny people. I don't see too many double zeros in most stores.

I also found this online...

"Vintage Sizing...was Marilyn Monroe Really a size 12?

----Marilyn ( at one point in her life/career) probably WAS a size 12 but what 99.9% of people who mention this fail to point out, is that she was a VINTAGE size 12. Today, with the same measurements, she would probably be a size 6 (in most garments). Would we love and adore her any less if her dress size was bigger or smaller? I think NOT. She was Fabulous no matter what her size was, vintage or otherwise. Just as YOU are fabulous, what ever YOUR size is!"

Source: http://www.justsaywhen.com/Vintage-101-Sizing.htm

freiamaya
04-02-2007, 11:17 AM
Re: Marilyn Monroe and the current trend of VANITY LABELLING!
Marilyn Monroe's height was 5'5", weighed between 115-120 at her peak, and her measurements according to her dressmaker were 35-22-35. Please see:
http://www.marilynmonroe.com/about/facts.html
Back in the 1950s, when dress sizes were DIFFERENT, that made her around a US size 12. Today, the US size 12 is now a US size 4 or 6, if not smaller. Americans have gotten bigger over the years, and manufacturers have adjusted their sizes according to the vanity of their customers. Please see:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vanity_sizing
There also wasn't any uniform sizing back in the 1950s - it was just being developed --see
http://www.sazzvintage.com/size_chart.html
For the best article on this see
http://www.fitme.com/Fitme/html/PublicRelations/coverage/Vanity_Sizing_AZ_Rep_0104.htm
re: the Marilyn debate.
Personally, I would LOVE to be a size 12 if that meant measurements of 35-23-35!!!

aphil
04-02-2007, 12:13 PM
Marilyn's weight was also known to fluctuate a lot-if you go over her many films and photos, etc. you will see that she is very slim in some of them, and more buxom and curvy in others. I sew and design costumes, and I take my clients measurements every time-even if I made them something 2 months ago-because measurements change.

Just because one site says she was one measurement, and another says a different measurement, doesn't make either one of them wrong. :)

jules1216
04-02-2007, 12:21 PM
Re: Marilyn Monroe and the current trend of VANITY LABELLING!
Marilyn Monroe's height was 5'5", weighed between 115-120 at her peak, and her measurements according to her dressmaker were 35-22-35. Please see:
http://www.marilynmonroe.com/about/facts.html
Back in the 1950s, when dress sizes were DIFFERENT, that made her around a US size 12. Today, the US size 12 is now a US size 4 or 6, if not smaller. Americans have gotten bigger over the years, and manufacturers have adjusted their sizes according to the vanity of their customers. Please see:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vanity_sizing
There also wasn't any uniform sizing back in the 1950s - it was just being developed --see
http://www.sazzvintage.com/size_chart.html
For the best article on this see
http://www.fitme.com/Fitme/html/PublicRelations/coverage/Vanity_Sizing_AZ_Rep_0104.htm
re: the Marilyn debate.
Personally, I would LOVE to be a size 12 if that meant measurements of 35-23-35!!!

I am 5' 5 & 3/4' , I graduated high school in 1983 and at the time weighed 125-130 pounds, my measurements were 36-26-36 and I wore a 9/10. My 19 year old daughter has the same exact measurments though we carry it differently and she wears a 3 or a 5 depending on the cut, but my old highwaisted Levis are too big for her hips/butt and too tight at her waist. Go figure!!

MariaMaria
04-02-2007, 03:33 PM
Marilyn Monroe's dress measurements would have been for a body in a tight-fitting girdle. Her body shape was great, but it wasn't nearly as out of the ordinary as those measurements, accurate or not, would suggest. Add a few inches to the waist and hips for what she'd look like in the underwear you and I wear most of the time.

freiamaya
04-02-2007, 03:36 PM
Hey, 38-25-38 still sounds like a fantasy to me, and I think that today, this would equate to about a size 3! I also, in high school, weighed 115 lbs at 5 foot 5 inches (grew a couple since than), with a 26 inch waist, and wore size 8-10. Go figure...
My only point of my post is that a reported size 12 in 1950 is a whole lot smaller than a size 12 is today. While I have taken comfort over the years in thinking that "hey, Marilyn was a size 12", the sad facts remain that vanity labelling is a reality, that marketing dictates that larger people now fit a smaller size on the label, and that although buxom by 1950s standards (just look and "Some Like it Hot", where she had gained weight and was unable to do up her dress from the waist-up, and you can see this visibly in the boat scene with Tony Curtis, but I digress), she was by no means skinny, by no means overweight, and with a generous measurement of 38-28-38, STILL would have had a rockin' body by today's standards.

GatorgalstuckinGA
04-02-2007, 03:51 PM
nelie - btw in regards to the shirt issue you are having..you may want to buy the larger size and have it altered...it seems to work for me. I'm prob a size 18 due to my "girls" but i'm a size 12 waist..most size 18 shirts are so big on the bottom i'm swimming but have them altered and Vavoomm...perfect shirt.

MariaMaria
04-02-2007, 04:00 PM
Oops, Freiamaya. Girdles don't change your breast measurement. (A girdle is/was a stretchy thing that went from the waist to, usually, the upper legs. It worked like control-top tights, except it squished much more.)

Because this is my post, I'm going to interpret 35-22-35 in a girdle (Do I necessarily believe the dressmaker? I don't know. I'd believe someone who didn't make money off the Monroe myth more, especially someone who could document the measurements of a dress that could be documented on her-- in other words, something we can see a picture of her wearing.) as 35-25-37 in normal undies. At JCrew that would be a size 4-6, with extra room in the waist. At Lands End, it would be a 6 on top, 4 on bottom, extra room in the waist either way. IOW, small but not teensy.

freiamaya
04-03-2007, 04:14 PM
Check out this link!
It has a woman trying on one of the original Marilyn dresses, and gives her take on the experience.
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=1385806