Exercise! - Ouch

View Full Version : Ouch

EleanorR
03-30-2007, 04:53 PM
I think I've overdone it a bit today. Have probably walked twice as far as normal as I had some extra walking to do this morning. By the time I was walking to work I had some twinges in what felt like a muscle in my right thigh.

Also, I have arthritis in my knees and can't cycle or run, but usually walking doesn't affect them. But oh boy they are sore tonight.

Just feel generally a bit tender and sore :(

I've now completed 4 weeks of each day walking a minimum of 30 minutes, so am very proud but could have done without this soreness.

I don't want to give up on my routine but maybe a break for a day or so would be a good thing? What do you think? :)

srmb60
03-30-2007, 05:07 PM
Yup, a rest day is highly recommended. You'll soon learn the difference between a good ache and a pain. Especially if you have arthritis.
I have grown to believe (a mind game really) that if my muscles ache the next day, they're still using calories. Silly, I know but .... they are repairing and growing stronger.

EleanorR
03-30-2007, 05:34 PM
Thanks Susan for your reply :)

I guess I was worrying whether if I had a break I would undo some of the good work I've done this last few weeks.

I will definitely have a rest tomorrow :)

Ilene
03-31-2007, 02:06 AM
Everyone needs a break this is when your muscles repair themselves from the hard work of exercising...