General chatter - What do you collect?

View Full Version : What do you collect?

southernleftylady
03-29-2007, 10:08 AM
I collect gemstones, ladybugs and world coins... so what do you collect?

royalsfan1
03-29-2007, 10:54 AM
Books. I've quit, though, since I've decided that it's much more environmentally sound to use the library! :)

LakeGirl
03-29-2007, 12:52 PM
I used to collect angels but now I am nearly overrun with them! Now, I collect yarn. I knit, but yarn collecting is a totally different hobby, or so i've been told. ;)

shrinkingchica
03-29-2007, 01:02 PM
Boxes. Little bitty and sometimes a bit larger boxes. Pretty ones in porcelain to functional basket ones. Ones shaped like elephants to ones with bows on them to ones with carvings in them to handpainted round ones. I have somewhere between 30-40 in my bedroom alone (as they are all over the place if you really open your eyes to notice all the boxes everywhere!)

alinnell
03-29-2007, 01:09 PM
I don't collect anything, but I did start my DD on collecting. I started with piggy banks (and they had to be pigs), but she didn't like that so much and she started collecting ducks. Rubber ducks and regular decoy looking ducks. She has a duck motif in her bathroom and shelves of all sorts of ducks. The other day, I found the cutest chocolate rubber ducky that I got her for Easter. She won't eat it--it'll live on her shelf with the actual rubber ones!

Dan2112
03-29-2007, 01:29 PM
Much to my wife's chagrin, I collect hats.. I must have at least two dozen ball caps.. Probably more.. I only wear a handful of them, which makes her even more exaspurated.. :lol:

I've never met a free ball cap I didn't like.. I HATE to have to pay for them..

I also collect pins and fire/forestry department patches.. So if y'all have any you want to get rid of, let me know... And by pins, I mean the little enamel type..

707Goddess
03-29-2007, 01:34 PM
Coins all kinds, dolphins LOVE dolphins

midwife
03-29-2007, 01:38 PM
Children. And furry homeless critters.

sweet_talker
03-29-2007, 01:50 PM
luncheboxes!! I have more than 20. I lurve them. :love:

morganmom
03-29-2007, 01:55 PM
Hi
I love PEZ I have almost 500 but I do not eat the candy;)

melekalikimaka
03-29-2007, 03:21 PM
I collect state quarters (I know, original huh?) and Pez. My son eats the candy if I let him, yuck! My favorite newest Pez dispensers are the Teutels of Orange County Choppers, Paulie, Sr. and Mikey :lol:

brandnewme
03-29-2007, 03:40 PM
Books and dolphins. My entire bathroom is in a dolphin motif. I have shelves upon shelves of dolphin figurines. I have a huge dolphin puzzle that is waiting to be glued together. I have a lovely dolphin snowglobe that sings and throws off different colors of light. I have 4 dolphin lamps, and one dolphin wall mountable light that is hanging above my shelves of dolphins (can you tell I love dolphins?).

I also have many, many books. I have 4 book shelves that are full, with boxes of books in storage. I am going to go through them and donate probably 3/4 of them to the solarium at work and to one of our shelters. I'm trying to get away from having so many, because they're a pain to move and they take up more and more space. I reread many of my books, but I reread most of the same ones so those will be the ones I keep.

devil ish
03-29-2007, 03:55 PM
I collect 'Piggins'. They are little comic models of pigs (so appropriate cos I'm a little piggy at the moment ;) ). I have about 100 of them!!!!!!!!!!

707Goddess
03-29-2007, 03:55 PM
[QUOTE=brandnewme;1631678]Books and dolphins. My entire bathroom is in a dolphin motif. I have shelves upon shelves of dolphin figurines. I have a huge dolphin puzzle that is waiting to be glued together. I have a lovely dolphin snowglobe that sings and throws off different colors of light. I have 4 dolphin lamps, and one dolphin wall mountable light that is hanging above my shelves of dolphins (can you tell I love dolphins?). QUOTE]
SWEET!!!! the love for a dolphin and everything they represent (sp?)
i also have a HUGE collection too much to list

FrouFrou
03-29-2007, 04:07 PM
Never thought of books as something one collects so I guess I am a book collector, lol. I buy new ones and scour the antique stores as well. But my biggest thing...I collect is Angels, and precious moment figurines. My son actually started both and seems everyone thinks I need more. I also add to the collection as well though, lol. But just special ones. I guess too you can add music to the list...I have lost count of CD's, albums, yes, albums, and cassettes I have. Can't part with any of them. I love my music! Guess when it gets to the point that I will need a room just to house them all then I will quit. Maybe, lol!

LakeGirl
03-29-2007, 07:19 PM
Though I don't officially collect them, I do LOVE dolphins and whales, especially orcas! This is slightly off topic, but one of my favorite things to do is to travel to places that have whale and dolphin watches. I love being out on the water and it is so incredibly magnificent to see these creatures in their true home. :)

MaNdA22
03-29-2007, 10:02 PM
I dont know if its collecting but I buy things that have sunflowers on them. I also have a make-up addiction.

drake3272004
03-29-2007, 10:33 PM
Wolves! Too numerous to list, but mostly artwork, posters, plates and puzzles!
And all kinds of craft-making "things" as my hubby calls them. Scrapbooking, cross-stitching, painting, etc. etc.:D I've gotten the kids into recycling so that they can use the items for art projects, they are getting ready to enter a contest on Earth Day for their projects! So now we collect JUNK too:dizzy:

NemesisClaws
03-29-2007, 10:39 PM
:cool: Gosh, what do I collect? Books obviously, although every so often I do go through them to take what I don't read over and over again to the library to be donated.

Myself and my brother are currently helping my mother with her state quarters collection. It's rather neat to look over sometimes..some states just can't be creative if their life depended on it....:D

Other than that, I guess right now I'm currently collecting food magazines because I'm always seeing some receipe in there that I can fix. Just got to go through them and cut them out though...I'm getting too many of these in a pile now. :dizzy:

EZMONEY
03-29-2007, 11:56 PM
Here are a couple of pictures of my daughter's bedroom wall. We did a DOLPHIN WALL about 10 years ago when she was 13. We made sand on the bottom out of a plaster product I use, from time to time at work, and put sea shells in it. She headed off years ago to UC Santa Barbara on a full ride to study marine biology...humm...but ended up in San Diego studying her tennis and (BOYFRIEND! ~ now fiance!) ;) ~ not all bad...half way through graduate work!

Zorak
03-30-2007, 12:21 AM
I collect:

Books, CDs, and DVDs.

Breyer horses. Although my collection has been on hiatus for some time because I've run out of room. Right now I have about 200 of them.

I collect state quarters (I know, original huh?)

I collect those as well. I have other coins in my small collection too.

Cheryl14
03-30-2007, 05:50 AM
I have a large cookbook collection and also collect International Santas.

Cheryl

sfj
03-30-2007, 08:59 AM
I collect penguins. Not really into the "christmas" penguins though.

jules1216
03-30-2007, 09:22 AM
Books--always buying them and going to the library--I do donate some or my hubby would kick me out of the house!! I have alot of Cookbooks too!

Teacups and saucers especially with designs that are not red or pink roses which are the most common so I do have some--love to hit flea markets and antique shops.

I have a purse fetish--does that count????

chermarie30
03-30-2007, 10:11 AM
I collect anything Elvis, and lots of books.

sirak
03-30-2007, 11:15 AM
I collect Campers, RV's and motorhomes. Most of them are Hotwheels,Tonka and Buddy L. There are other items like salt and peppershakers,Avon bottles, a birdhouse and some ceramic pieces. Part of the collection is packed up as when we moved there was not enough room to display them. So I have about 100 of them in one bookcase from Ikea.
I also have an egg collection and a display of Russian Dolls.I have quite a bit of depression glassware and art glass.
We had a booth at a flea market for a while before Ebay took over. I am staying out of trouble since we are staying home more.;)

brandnewme
03-30-2007, 08:35 PM
Very nice Gary! Wanna come make my room look like that?!

Genesis
03-30-2007, 09:42 PM
The only thing I collect is money....nothing makes me happier than seeing my savings account balance increase each month!

EZMONEY
03-30-2007, 11:39 PM
Very nice Gary! Wanna come make my room look like that?!

:yes: ANYTIME! :yes: The most fun of it all was doing it "with" my daughter. A very special time for us.

Just saw this...HAD to use it...:broc:

melekalikimaka
03-30-2007, 11:54 PM
I have a purse fetish--does that count????

Oh I forgot about that. I actually had to by a cabinet, an amoire of sorts to keep all my purses in...yeah, I'd say it counts and it's definitely an addiction. :high:

is that a dancing broccoli? cousin to the carrot :carrot:

nelie
03-31-2007, 12:27 AM
I collect turtles and I collect Yoda. My turtle collection is quite impressive and my Yoda collection is so-so. Unfortunately, a large part of my turtle collection is in a box because I have no where to put them right now.

alinnell
03-31-2007, 12:38 PM
All this talk of collections made me go out and look for a new duck for DD. Here is what I bought:

She collects ducks AND is a musician!

FrouFrou
03-31-2007, 12:56 PM
Those duckies are soooo cute!

lisavs
03-31-2007, 07:02 PM
ok this may sound odd but i collect the victoria secret pink collection. it started out as i just liked the clothes. but then they would get new sweatsuits in like every 2 weeks. and it became like a race for me to get all the colors. and also in the bigger cities they have a totally different line called rich pink girl and you can only get it in store so i have been getting those on ebay and when i go into big cities. i am obsessed although i have slowed it down. there for a while though i was getting kinda crazy with it. i would say i have over 50 pairs of pink sweatpants :yikes:

lizziness
03-31-2007, 08:00 PM
fun to see where other people's interests lie. I have a pretty large collection of Faeries, goblets, both my hubby and I are bibliophiles... I was just mentioning to friend today that if we ever get a house it HAS to have a room we can make into a library. I don't feel too bad about buying books because I read them over and over if I love them and pass them on if I don't.

I used to collect piggies too. Had too many to count, I have since narrowed my collection down to a few favorite pieces, which are stored for now. Along with my faeries and goblets. Just no place to put stuff in my apartment. :(

Clydegirl
03-31-2007, 09:10 PM
When I was first married, 20 plus years ago I collected Bosson Heads and Hummel figurines. That got expensive. When we moved 3 years ago I decided I was going to sell the Bosson's on e-bay, still haven't got round to it. My husband said he's going to start selling stuff on e-bay we'll see.

BlueToBlue
04-02-2007, 07:31 PM
For the most part I'm a purger, not a collector. In my stepmom's world, everyone collects an animal (she collects owls, my step sister-in-law collects chickens, my step-sister collects teddy bears) and she tried to get me started on cows but eventually I managed to put a stop to it. I like surfaces to be uncluttered; nothing looks better to me than a completely bare countertop.

But with all the books I have around here, I guess you could say they border on a collection. I would really like to own the full canon of Nero Wolfe novels in hardback but haven't wanted to spend the money to acquire them yet.

I also have a small collection of lizard beanbags, which got started because I have a tattoo of a lizard on my wrist. But I really try to keep the lizard stuff to a minimum. For a year or two my SO and I collected all the free promotional bobbleheads for the Oakland A's, but it was such a hassle getting them that we've given up on that collection.

trekkiegirl
04-02-2007, 09:44 PM
I collect state quarters, a penny for each year, and elephants. I'm not overrun with them or anything but I really am partial to collectibles of elephants. Oh yeah, and some classic Star Trek memorabilia (albeit not the expensive auction stuff, lol).

Live long and prosper! :D

sockmonkey70
04-02-2007, 09:55 PM
My Little Ponies..

BlueStarSkyMonkey
04-03-2007, 10:12 PM
i guess you could say i collect buttons, i have tons of buttons with different pictures and sayings on them..some of which i wear on the vest i have at work.

Is that really me
04-03-2007, 11:34 PM
What do I collect? Dust. :D

Jo

phoebegirl
04-04-2007, 12:37 AM
I collect.....horses...real live ones (I do horse rescue) but also Breyer since I was a kid, horse tack and anything in the shape of a horse.

and antiques.