Exercise! - My KNEES! I feel so old....

View Full Version : My KNEES! I feel so old....

Diva
03-29-2007, 08:24 AM
Yanno, I never had troubles with my dagum knees back in my 20's or early 30's...or late 30's for that matter, but now @ 39 almost 40 :sssh: , just about everytime I aerobosize, I hurt my knees and have to ice them and walk around limping! I am TRYING to lose weight here and I really need some cooperation from the knees!!!:dizzy:

Meg
03-29-2007, 08:32 AM
Welcome to the Sore Knees Club - we have lots of members! :lol:

First of all, do you know why your knees are sore? Is it arthritis or have you injured them? Have you seen a doctor or been through physical therapy for them?

What kind of exercise are you doing now that makes them hurt?

There are lots of ways to exercise that will protect your knees and actually help them by strengthening the muscles that support the joints. If you can fill me in a bit on what the knee issue is, what you're currently doing, and what your goals are, we can put our heads together and come up with a plan. :)

Ruthxxx
03-29-2007, 08:35 AM
Meg, I am looking for knee strengthening exercises too so will be keeping an eye on this thread. (Why the heck didn't I think to ask before now?)

Diva, you are wise to tackle the problem now instead of waiting until you are an antique like me waiting for a knee transplant!

Diva
03-29-2007, 08:41 AM
I've never hurt my knees before so I am not sure. I don't know if it's arthritis or not. I supose I should go see my doc though. Usually it's during high impact step aerobics that I hurt my left knee and I have found that if I wrap it beforehand, it does help. Yesterday, I did upper body work(weight's) with Cathe on FitTV for an hour, and there was a lot of up and down action going on and that's when I twisted my right knee. It swells a lil', feels bruised even though I don't see anything and feels like there's fluid or something in them.

I guess it's hard for my knees to support this much weight. I am a shorty....

Also, when I lift weights with the dumbells, my right wrist and forearm hurt too. Could all this be signs of arthritis? I know I had to quit being a hair stylist because of the right hand. It would swell and burn and I could barely use it for a while, and it the same with the dumbells.

Meg
03-29-2007, 08:53 AM
Diva, I'd guess that the problem with your right hand and forearm is either carpal tunnel from the repetitve movements of being a hairdresser or possibly tendonitis. It could be arthritis too. It sounds like you really could use a doctor to sort it out. :)

So it's impact activities that are hurting your knees? Me too (I have arthritis) so I don't do any kind of exercise involving walking, running, or jumping (anything that you're lifting your feet off the ground). Every pound that you're carrying exerts four pounds of pressure on your knees, hips, and feet according to my knee doc. If you're 200 pounds, that's 800 pounds of pressure on your knees! So when you jump or run, you're putting a ton of extra weight on your joints and they're screaming TOO MUCH! I can even feel a big difference in my knees when I carry a 14 pound box of kitty litter up the stairs, so imagine what 50 or so extra pounds can do.

But don't despair, that still leaves a lot of kinds of exercise! Elliptical trainers (my favorite :D ), exercise bikes (I like recumbent), and swimming are all awesome cardio exercise and there's NO impact involved.

And the more you strengthen the muscles that support your knees, the less pressure there is on the joint itself. The muscle acts as an internal knee brace. Do you belong to a gym? Do you have any exercise equipment at home, like an exercise ball or dumbbells?

almostheaven
03-29-2007, 09:08 AM
I had the same first thoughts here as Meg. Sounds like carpal tunnel in the wrist, especially if you're a right-hander and use the computer a lot. I sometimes get trouble in my right wrist too (usually when at the computer for long periods) and wear a wrist brace when I feel it start to act up.

And I had the same problem with just one knee when running (high impact). I found that using a knee support or wrap also helped. It takes some of the impact. And mine IS arthritis due to my weight. The doctor couldn't figure out why I had arthritis since I told her I had only been exercising a few years. Then I told her what I used to weigh and the light went on. LOL

Diva
03-29-2007, 09:15 AM
There's no decent GYM's around. The closest ones are 25 to 30 miles away. Besides Curves, and I didn't care for Curves. We do have a community center with a weight room and other machine's. I have never in my life seen or used an Elliptical trainer, so I'd have to ask if there's one in there, LOL! They do have aswimming Pool and have the lap swimming 3 day's a week and the Water aerobics twice a week, so that's something to look into as well. I didn't care much for the water aerobics. I REALLY love the step aerobics. That's my fav and I don't really wanna give it up. :(. I like to sweat and FEEL it yanno? I am hoping that by this time next year, I have met goal, and will be leading aerobic's classes myself. I hope after all this weight is gone the knees will come back around, LOL! I'll def go see a doc though...

Oh, I am going to buy an exercise ball soon too.

srmb60
03-29-2007, 09:18 AM
When I first started playing with weights I did some forearm things. I had quite annoying discomfort about 2/3's of the way from my wrist to my elbow. You can feel a mound of muscle there if you make a fist.
I asked my physiotherpist friend who said that forearm exercises weren't necessary. They get worked out any way (and I needed to watch my form).

Do you trainers folks agree with that?

Diva
03-29-2007, 09:42 AM
okay, I was looking online @ theElliptical Trainers, anywho, I found these on this site:
http://www0.shopping.com/xPC-Weslo_Weslo_Momentum_730_Elliptical~PD-32910749~FD-96424~kworg-Elliptical%20Trainers~kw-Elliptical%20Trainers~linkin_id-8002985~DMT-4~VK-Elliptical%20Trainers~r-1~CLT-INTR~RFR-www.consumersearch.com
How do these look? I really couldn't afford to spend anymore than this. I'm like working out at home best right now, but I supose if the Comm center has these, I could go there too... Everyone here seems to really enjoy these do-dads... :D

2frustrated
03-29-2007, 09:57 AM
OMG I didn't know the 4x the amount of stress on the knees! That's really interesting and scary and makes me want to stop eating right now! :lol:

I've got Patella Tendonitis at the moment :p :rolleyes: So I'm another one in the sore knee club :wave: Would be interested in any knee-strengthening exercises too! I've been doing partial one legged squats on a step and step downs, which I read about on a PT site.

hikerchick
03-29-2007, 06:40 PM
I have a knee related question too. I hope you don't mind me putting it in here.

I have a funny little injury from a goofy fall 8 years ago (whoops is there a step here). It is almost all gone and I have been running with no ill effects (knocks wood).

However when I try to do squats the knee kind of starts to get nervous. It doesn't want to do full range of motion. I am trying something to stabilize it and maybe improve range of motion so I can squat through the full range of motion without this one side hurting. It only hurts when I try to squat low. Slight adjustments with the angle of my feet help alot.

Thanks to the OP for starting the old knee thread!

Diva
03-29-2007, 06:52 PM
And the more you strengthen the muscles that support your knees, the less pressure there is on the joint itself. The muscle acts as an internal knee brace. Do you belong to a gym? Do you have any exercise equipment at home, like an exercise ball or dumbbells?

Okay, I know I am a big dummy,, but what are the muscles that support my knees and what are the exercises or weight lifting can I do to strengthen them? I used to have such strong legs back in the day...woe is me....

Hikerchic, I don't mind your question gf! This is an old Knee thread for all. :)

Meg
03-29-2007, 07:01 PM
Diva, I have three exercises for you but I gotta make dinner for the hungry hordes. I promise I'll get back to you tonight or tomorrow morning. :)

hikerchick
03-29-2007, 07:04 PM
Okay,
Hikerchic, I don't mind your question gf! This is an old Knee thread for all. :)

Old knees unite! May we all get strong and pain free.

Diva
03-29-2007, 07:10 PM
Okie dokie Meg! Thank you...no rush. :hug:

Meg
03-30-2007, 09:41 AM
OK, here are three basic knee strengthening exercises. Frus, I think you're light years past these!

Step Ups: Use an aerobic step - like Reebok - if you have one, if not, use regular steps (but they're not adjustable). Start with a low step and just step up - right leg up, then left, right leg down, then left - 15 times. Switch legs. Try three sets.

To progress: 1. raise the step higher, 2. hold light dumbbells, 3. step down instead of up.

http://z.about.com/d/exercise/1/0/x/A/squatstep_small.jpg

Ball Squats: Place an exercise ball in the small of your back (curved area). Hands on hips. Squat down until your thighs are parallel with the floor and your knees form a 90 degree angle. Start with three sets of 15 reps.

To progress: 1. increase reps - try for sets of 50!, 2. hold light dumbbells, 3. pause and hold at the bottom for 10 seconds for each rep, 4. do a set of half-reps.

http://z.about.com/d/exercise/1/0/B/N/tsballsquat.JPG

Leg Extensions: If you have access to a gym, it undoubtedly will have this machine. If you're working out at home, get some ankle weights (the ones that adjust up to 5 pounds are great). Sit down in a chair, strap on the ankle weights, and slowly raise one leg leg until it's straight out in front of you. Slowly lower. This is a slow and controlled exercise, without the use of momentum. Do three sets of 15 reps with each leg.

To progress: 1. increase the weight, 2. do both legs together, 3. pause and hold for five seconds at the top of the movement.

http://media.smays.com/LivingHealthyPodcast/knee_exercise.gif

Diva
03-30-2007, 09:59 AM
Thank you Meg!
I'm gonna print these up and hang'em on the wall! I'm prolly going to buy a exercise ball like the one pictured this weekend!
You're a sweetie!

Is that really me
03-30-2007, 12:09 PM
Does anyone else's knees make noise when they do squats and walk upstairs and such? My knees have always done this - thought they don't hurt. I have no idea why they make noise. And if I put my hand on my knee while going up a step I can feel it make the noise (if that makes sense).

Jo

Diva
03-30-2007, 01:15 PM
I haven't heard it when I exercise, but they sure make a popping noise when i stand up somtimes, as does other parts of my body, LOL! I just figure it's age....;)

baffled111
03-30-2007, 01:32 PM
"Do anyone else's knees make noise when they do squats and walk upstairs and such? My knees have always done this - thought they don't hurt. I have no idea why they make noise. And if I put my hand on my knee while going up a step I can feel it make the noise (if that makes sense)."

My knees have a bit of crunch to them. If I put my fingers on my knee and make a bicycling motion, I can feel my knee crunching and grinding. It's pretty gross. Mine have always been like that though--I remember getting my friends to feel my crunchy knees when I was a skinny 13 year old. I've asked doctors about it (because I do have other problems with my knees) and they have always seemed entirely uninterested in the phenomenon.

Mel
03-30-2007, 02:09 PM
My knees crackle and grind, too, but after years of strength training, no longer hurt. When I first starting lifting heavy, I wrapped them with an ace bandage each for stabilization. It helped alot.

When you are doing "ball squats", place a lightweight ball about the size of a basketball (but light...those kid ones that are in the supermarkets now) between your knees and hold it there with leg pressure throughout the exercise. This will keep your knees from wandering in or out.

Fru- In your situation, I'd wrap both for lifting and use a neoprene brace for kickboxing. Do ball squats with a smaller ball between your knees and holding dumbbells. If you are using a leg press, put the lightweight ball between your knees. You really want to stabilize both legs so that they can't widen out as you press or squat. This doesn't work for free bar squats- you just need to wrap or stay away from them for a while.

Mel

mandalinn82
03-30-2007, 02:27 PM
The -only- solution I've found to my knee problems is to develop my quad muscles. Rock hard quads = knee stability for me. My doc explained that the quad muscle helps to "guide" the kneecap in its correct track, reducing friction on the underside of the kneecap, which prevents pain. It also stabilizes.

My knee hasn't dislocated since the very beginning of my journey - and this from a girl who used to sublux or dislocate her kneecap probably once a month (congenital knee problem - extra ligament called a plica ran under the kneecap, which over the years resulted in the complete replacement of cartilege under my right knee with scar tissue that is thicker than the cartilege layer would be - kneecap rides high and tended to "pop" off whenever it was struck or bent funny).

All of those exercises that Meg posted seem like they would work the quad, so that makes sense. The stronger your quads get, the less knee trouble you'll have, at least in my experience.

hikerchick
03-30-2007, 03:55 PM
Thanks Meg for the exercises and pics. And thanks Mel for the ball between knees advice.

I have a follow up question...

Can you do the ball between knees with regular dumbell squats or were you (Mel) tallking about adding dumbells to the wall squats or could you do either?

The knee wandering is totally my problem. I noticed this today durning lunges. Left knee is a good little soldier and right knee has ADD and will only behave if I concentrate hard.

Mel
03-30-2007, 05:42 PM
I was talking about adding dumbbells to a wall squat. I think that is a lot easier on the knees and you can still do a weighted squat that way. Another good knee strengther is one legged stand-up-sit-downs. Find a platform or bench where when you are sitting, your quads are parallel to the floor and your knees form a 90 degree angle. Put one foot one the floor and hold the other bent out in front of you. Stand up. Sit down. Do this 10 times. Switch legs. This is hard- a lot of women can't get their butts UP at all. If you can't do it, sit down on one leg--control, control...the stand up on two. When you can easily do the "down part", then try the standing again.

Mandalinn- Strong quads are only half the equation. You also need strong hamstrings to balance them. If you only work your quads and have underdeveloped hamstrings, you'll create knee problems. Many runners who don't cross train have problems because their quads are so overdevoped in relation to their hammies.

Mel

mandalinn82
03-30-2007, 05:46 PM
I must have never had problems with hammie development, because i mainly focused on the quads and resolved my issues.

I stand corrected! Strong hammies and quads!

Meg
03-31-2007, 07:25 AM
Mel, that's a great exercise! I'm going to do it myself. :)

Diva
03-31-2007, 10:39 AM
Well that seems easy enough. I found some hamstring exercises online that I can just strap on my ankle weights and do along with the quads. Heck a couple are moves I do anyways when I do the step aerobics. I have found that I give myself a better workout than some of these DVD's I have, LOL!
Thanks for all the help and advice. :)

melekalikimaka
03-31-2007, 12:47 PM
Does anyone else's knees make noise when they do squats and walk upstairs and such? My knees have always done this - thought they don't hurt. I have no idea why they make noise. And if I put my hand on my knee while going up a step I can feel it make the noise (if that makes sense).

Jo

:wave: me! me! In my 20's my knees would pop or crack once in a while when I walked. It never hurt, in fact, it felt relieved like when I used to crack my knuckles (but that's another story :rolleyes: ) . Now that I'm in my 30's and my weight has been going up and down drastically by 30+ pounds or more several times over the past few years, my knees tend to flare up more often. My orthopedic doc says the crunching noises are scar tissue, which could be from bone rubbing on bone, or the meniscus (cartilage) wearing away, basically any debris "floating" around in the joint fluid will cause the sound.

I had arthroscopic surgery in Feb. this year to remove a large meniscus tear and had a lateral release at the same time. Let me tell you, that crunching sound is magnified now and I can hear it while I walk.

Meg, those are great exercises. Just wanted to add also that if you don't have a giant exercise ball to do ball squats, you could always put a towel (worn like a cape) on your back and lean directly on the wall and do wall slides for the same effect. But as always, proper form is necessary so you don't hurt yourself. Wow, I'm glad I happened upon this thread, such great info from all.

Fooled
04-27-2007, 08:09 PM
I don't know if this will help anyone, but I was in physical therapy for a while for my knees because I was hyperextending (basically, constantly locking them when I was walking) them without realizing it. One of the ways they got the pain to go away was to strengthen the muscle around my knees. They had me do leg lifts, lying on a table (or on my bed, if I was doing them at home) on my stomach, lifting and holding my leg a few inches up. Same on my side and on my back, with a five pound velcro weight strapped on my leg. Sometimes, if my knees were having a particularly bad day, I'd wear bootcut jeans, and I'd wear the weights while I was going about my buisiness for the day. That last one wasn't a reccomended exercise from my PT, so maybe it isn't a good idea, but it helped me.

2frustrated
04-30-2007, 04:12 AM
Fru- In your situation, I'd wrap both for lifting and use a neoprene brace for kickboxing. Do ball squats with a smaller ball between your knees and holding dumbbells. If you are using a leg press, put the lightweight ball between your knees. You really want to stabilize both legs so that they can't widen out as you press or squat. This doesn't work for free bar squats- you just need to wrap or stay away from them for a while.

Mel

Thank you Mel :D For my free bar squats I am really lightening the load and concentrating on my knees not caving inwards.

I am going to try the ball squats in the gym next leg day. I have been doing one legged squats and step-downs as suggested on some PF website.

Button_ewe
05-02-2007, 09:15 AM
Just for plain old arthritic knees...glucosomine works wonders....I was not a believer, but went to Dr with inflamed bursa in my knees (have had prob with shoulders for years, but this was first time with knees). They have been creaky, cranky and jittery for a long time. He put me on Move Free by Schiff (6 pills a day for 3 weeks then down to 3 pills a day...for life...)....its like being 20 years younger. I have never been much for pills or supplements, but man is it nice to move with out the snap, crackle, pop in my knees....and to squat without pain......and to go upstairs without feeling like they were going to give way at any second.

Dr did say that it only works for 40% or so of his patients..but if it does work...it works well.

emilyk
05-07-2007, 02:34 AM
Can I ask what is the difference between wall squats and ball squats? What advantages are there to using the ball?
Thanks,
Emily

almostheaven
05-07-2007, 08:57 AM
Not "knowing" the answer to that, I'm guessing though, as it appears, that the ball would at least be gentler on the back with its soft curve than a hard flat wall.

Fooled
05-08-2007, 11:13 AM
I think it is so you can control the ball, i.e. make sure you don't drop it, so maybe it improves your form, as well.

Ilene
05-08-2007, 11:15 AM
It is easier to roll up and down the wall with the ball, than just leaning against the wall and trying to go up and down. Also, with the ball, you use a lot of your core muscles and that's very good for balance, abs, everything...

emilyk
05-09-2007, 03:56 AM
Thanks! I've got one, so I'll give it a whirl!

fitmom1
05-23-2007, 12:01 AM
Pretty much - forearm exercises if you need them.. but doing free weights for the major muscle groups will really work them. If a person is to isolate them then I would ask that there is a purpose to it that is beyond 'general conditioning.' The key in any exercise regimen it to know WHY you are doing certain exercises and what they will yield for you. Making your fitness program your own in this way is important.

cert pft fitmom 1

fitmom1
05-23-2007, 12:09 AM
differences with the ball or regular squats..
Wall ball squats are often better tolerated by those just starting into it, those with need to work more on form, those whose knees bother them with regular squats. The ball wall squats work the muscles a little bit differently as you are actually pushing against the wall and ball - and possibly are bearing slightly less weight than you would without the ball. The movement with the ball changes the plane of movement and the adjustment of the lever.

Regular squats are also valueable if performed correctly. The plane of movement is much more functional (how often are you pushing back when you go to sit on the sofa or toilet, or get up from them?) than the ball, though I like to do a combination of both with my personal training clients and with my classes. The muscle recruitment is different than with the ball. It requires more balance/stability.

Both exercises, however recruit multi-muscle groups including the core muscles (abs back and sides) and both are fit in the generally accepted movements of safety if performed correctly and if appropriate for the individual attempting them.

cert pft fitmom1

Steelslady
07-05-2007, 07:28 PM
Elliptical trainers (my favorite :D ), exercise bikes (I like recumbent), and swimming are all awesome cardio exercise and there's NO impact involved.

Even the elliptical trainer hurts my knees. I've tried using that sucker (we have one at home), and I'm very lucky if I last a minute, without my knees screaming from pain.

Very interesting about the 4 pounds of pressure on the knees for one pound of body weight- that would explain why my knees have been screaming after playing tennis and bike riding on our country "dirt" roads. Swimming, however, relaxes them.

Take stock out on Ben Gay, folks, as I'll be buying it in massive quantities. :rofl:

TachsGirl
07-07-2007, 12:43 AM
Meg, I wanted to ask, I've thought about joining a local gym, and as I have horrid knees, is there anything I should tell the trainers then if and when I start? And if you want details, I've got arthritis(age 12) and patella tendonitis(age 9) in both knees, and had mcl repair and a lateral release on my right knee.

almostheaven
07-07-2007, 10:02 PM
Take stock out on Ben Gay, folks, as I'll be buying it in massive quantities. :rofl:
Nix the Ben Gay. Head to your local Chiroquack for some Bio Freeze, or order it off the net. I threw out Ben Gay, Aspracream and all that garbage when my chiro sold me that stuff. Been ordering it online ever since.

Casandra
08-10-2007, 04:58 PM
I noticed that many of you have complained about "popping" of your knees when you go up and down stairs and the like. The major culprit to this can be a Discoid Meniscus. I have this, myself.

I have an article here about it. Most people never know they have one because in most cases the pain never hits a level of severity that merits a doctors visit.

Discoid Meniscus (http://orthopedics.about.com/od/meniscuscartilageinjury/g/discoid.htm)

Hope this helps some of you!

Ilene
08-15-2007, 03:40 PM
Personally, I have problems with my ankles. I was wondering if you guys knew of exercises that would help build strong ankles instead of destroy them as well. My ankles are in pain and swollen a lot, just from being on my feet in my normal day to day. It has gotten better though because for the past month I've been working out regularly (mostly dancing, belly dancing and a bit of strength training and crunches) and I walk for 40 minutes (20 minutes twice a day) for 3 days a week. I know walking is impact which is bad for my ankles, but I can't cut it out because it's how I get to work... so I make the best of it and walk briskly. But will my ankles just continue to feel better over time? Or should I be looking into things that I can do to insure that they are strong?

Thanks in advance!I think, as you lose weight and get fitter your ankles will improve... But in the meantime maybe you should see your doctor...

Darkblue
02-22-2008, 10:09 PM
My knees do the "crackle and grind" routine and have for years. It's better when I'm taking glucosamine/chondroitin, but it doesn't ever go away.

I think I abused my knees the other day. I was trying to teach my daughter how to jump rope and do the cross-over-arms trick. I haven't jumped rope for years, but I used to be good at it. Three days later, my knees are still killing me. I guess 200 pounds of weight slamming the knee-joint bones together wasn't the brightest thing I could have done. :no:

KimL1214
02-22-2008, 10:38 PM
I've had sever patella tendonitis since I was in high school and have already been told at 24 that in the next 5-10 years I will have to get artificial knees as cartillage in my knees is pretty much non-existent... Bone on bone feels awesome... anyways I've had many different versions of PT over the last 8 years and have learned that the exercises mentioned before including ankle weights work very well. Also, lying on each side and doing side leg lifts (starting without leg weight, eventually add them) works really well. One of the leading causes of knee problems is having either your quads or hamstrings being much stronger or weaker than the other.
Stay away from pounding exercises when your knees are really sore... eliptical is good and depending on how well you handle the stationary bike that as well (hurts my knees)...
Good luck!:cheer2::cheer2::cheer2::cheer2::cheer2:

AngieH75
03-18-2008, 09:03 AM
Hi Everyone,

I just found this thread and hope I can add something useful!

I've had bad knees since I was young. I've had three surguries on my right knee, all in my teens and have been to more physical therapy doc's than I even care to count. I have torn cartlidge in both my knees, which causes the popping, cracking, binding and occasionally it just gives out completely. I've been urged to have a knee replacement on the right and arthroscopic on the left. Both I refuse to do because I'm stubborn mostly!

The exercises posted earlier are very good, I've done a number of these in therapy - but the emphasis has to be on form for these. If your knee goes over your ankle, you're likely to do much more damage. Make sure your knee stays aligned with your ankle and that your quads/hamstrings are the muscles doing all the work.

One other tip I got from a sports therapist is to simply extend your leg, engage your quad muscle and hold for 10 seconds. Release the muscle and repeat this a dozen times or so. As stated earlier, keeping the quad muscles strong, keeps your knee aligned correctly.

I do not do any kind of running, lunges or excersises that cause undue impact on my knee. Swimming is absolutly the best, or water aerobics, because the resistance is not jarring.

I currently do yoga once a week and even then my knees shake while holding some of the poses. When the weather is nice, I walk 1.5 miles almost everyday around a lake with a friend. Walking is also low impact for the knees, have good walking shoes!

makeyourownplans
05-04-2008, 10:09 PM
So happy I found this thread! I'm only 27 and I don't remember injuring my knee before, but my left knee always gives me trouble when I run. I really like running and would like to continue, but I don't want to injur myself long term.

Kathy2lose50
06-19-2008, 04:32 PM
I just turned 42 and my left knee gives me trouble. Also, due to a car wreck 7 years ago, I have a bad right hip and lower back pain. I just started exercising today. I exercised for 25 minutes. It was painful, but I know if I keep pressing on and keep prayer in my life, the knee, hip and back pain will subside, and I will be totally healed.

I know from personal experience. Prayer works.

mcz1970
06-21-2008, 01:55 PM
Personally, I have problems with my ankles. I was wondering if you guys knew of exercises that would help build strong ankles instead of destroy them as well. My ankles are in pain and swollen a lot, just from being on my feet in my normal day to day. It has gotten better though because for the past month I've been working out regularly (mostly dancing, belly dancing and a bit of strength training and crunches) and I walk for 40 minutes (20 minutes twice a day) for 3 days a week. I know walking is impact which is bad for my ankles, but I can't cut it out because it's how I get to work... so I make the best of it and walk briskly. But will my ankles just continue to feel better over time? Or should I be looking into things that I can do to insure that they are strong?

Thanks in advance!

If there is nothing wrong with them, perhaps you could try some ballet moves? Here is one weight bearing exercise to strengthen your ankles and here is one non weight bearing exercise to strengthen and stretch your ankles. I learned these from my girls' ballet teacher.

Weight bearing exercise. Simply stand up on your tippy toes as high as you can, place your arms above your head (like a ballerina, lol) then walk sideways across the floor in tiny little ballerina steps as far as you can. IT'S HARD!!

Non weight bearing exercise. Sit down somewhere comfortable. Straighten your leg and point your toe. DO NOT "sic" your foot inward. Push outwards concentrating on the big toe. Then simply begin tracing the alphabet using your big toe. You can do cursive, or whatever, lol.

OnceUponADrive
06-23-2008, 04:07 PM
It's strange, but I've always had knee problems even doing something as simple as walking too much. No matter what exercise I did, they hurt. Well now I've started this Jillian Michael's 30 Day Shred and her Cardio Kickbox EVERY day (which are HIGH impact exercises) and my knees feel the best they've ever felt. I haven't had pain in months.

gabbnteach
06-30-2008, 11:31 AM
I, too, was planning to post a question concerning my aching knees, but didn't know how to start a new post!! So, I was very happy to come upon this thread.

I started running/ walking when I couldn't/ about a week ago. I seemed fine up until about 3 days ago when the pain in my knees started becoming more than just what I thought should be a little muscle fatigue. In the days since I started running, I have done weights at the gym as well as one of my dvds. Lunges are really tough for me, but everything else didn't seem to bother me much. One of my dvd exercises simulates jump roping and I;m not sure if this is what ultimately aggrivated my pain.

I am willing to try most anything, but I haven't been able to sleep for the past couple of nights and don't want to give up running just yet (unless I absolutely have to). I just bought new running shoes lol

I think I will try to wrap my knees and see if that helps at all...

Thanks again, and I think you guys rock!!

snapless
06-30-2008, 08:02 PM
For me it is only the elliptical that causes my knees and my ankles to hurt (and my feet too!). Wierd huh?

Well, squats make my knees pop sometimes but they don't hurt.

Treadmill, bike, stairstepper, lunges - all of them leave my muscles burning (good burn) but no pain in my knees.

Am I odd or what?

pufffin
08-10-2008, 07:49 AM
Thank you for this great knee info! I started jogging and had to give up after 3 months because my knees hurt so much I could hardly get up or down stairs. After a rest they are now fine. I have started to jog a little again but amdoing so on sand in the hope that the softer surface will absorb some impact. I'm off to use my step!

indigal
03-26-2009, 11:39 AM
I love surfing this site! I've had wonky knees since I turned 40 in September... I don't like the feeling of constant pain...

Good advice on this thread!

I saw a Chiropractor recently... He says no weight baring exercise....

How the *bleep* am I supposed to get cardio in when I cannot ride bike... walk... or swim.... (No pool here.... there's an open well ... but going down a 15 ft ladder does not sound like fun to me... or my knees! ) I need to do something to move this weight down!

Any suggestions?
I live in rural India now so no gyms, pools etc...

justrosieinsa
03-27-2009, 12:56 PM
Hi,

Just read your post. We recently purchased an Elliptical. It is much less weight bearing than any other good cardio maching. You have to give it a chance. I thought it was going to be a piece of cake to use, but its been hard to get use to it. I'm 47, obese and bad knees. I can only do a couple of minutes at a time and then I rest for a minute.

Now I also own one of those tony little gazelle's and that is truly low-now impact.

Rosemary

baby phat
03-31-2009, 03:40 PM
Oh wow! I've noticed my right knee gives me crap when I workout but I did hurt myself a few months ago, I slammed my kneecap really hard into the edge of my desk, it hurt to walk for a few days and was badly bruised.
I'm out of work for two years now, so the option of seeing a doctor was OUT. It will probably be a while before I finally get a doctor and even then I'm sure he/she will be completely callus as they always are - they'll likely throw some "ya probably whatever" at me and will leave it at that.

:(

Oh 2 be me
06-23-2009, 10:42 AM
I have problems with my right knee becuase I have scoliosis and carry about 10-12 more pounds on my right side. My right hip is slightly lower than my left, so this puts more weight and pressure on that knee. Hurts so bad , specially when I try to climb steps. Even when I bend my knee, I can feel and even hear it 'crunching". gives me the shivers.

stephiexo
07-15-2009, 12:34 AM
Ok ladies, I'm hoping yall can help me out here. So mid June, I dislocated my knee cap (second time I've done this in the past few years! ARGH!). So I was on crutches, then a knee brace, and now I'm walking pretty normally for the most part-I just really feel it when I'm doing steps, etc. I've been really scared about working out on it-for over the past week or two I've started back working on my abs and arms just to try and do something, but I know I really need to work on strengthening my leg.

I'm looking for something really easy and low impact to help, without alot of squats, etc (I am afraid of putting that much pressure on my knee right now). I was contemplating maybe Walk Away The Pounds. Anyone have any ideas/or thoughts? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks ladies!

Diva0467
07-15-2009, 12:15 PM
Now it's the Hips. I lost some lbs and the knees stopped hurting but now my hips give me troubles, but I hope like with the knees, once I lose some more poundage, the hips will stop hurting too. :)

Alan
07-19-2009, 06:54 PM
I sympathise! Its a case of chicken and egg, but I think losing weight comes before heavy exercise. Extra weight played havoc with my joints! When the weight goes, the knees feel better. One step at a time if you pardon the pun!

iaradajnos
07-29-2009, 07:24 PM
So, folks, I'm also a knee and hip pain person. Actually it was my knee pain that drove me--day in and day out--to never cheat these past six plus months to lose weight. I just couldn't take the pain anymore. I am a dedicated calorie counter and followed volumetrics faithfully.

For my knees, I examined it from a few points:
1) Identify source of pain
2) Identify strengthening and healing moves
3) Lose weight no matter what

My sources of pain were weight mostly but also my bike was not set for my height. I also think I wasn't doing the lunges right and I usually OVER EXERCISED. I'd jump rope for 1 1/2 hours or even 2 hours.

I did physical therapy, have a joint specialist watching me, dedicated to yoga (even had a yoga specialist prescription who examined my hip and knee problems and gave a miracle 3 move cure), stopped biking for six months, and reduced my exercise.

From January 09, I slowly started exercising. I dedicated myself to core and upper leg strengthening. I did yoga. I wasn't biking. I calorie counted. I carefully increased exercise slowly over these past months. I'm so powerfully strong now. I still have knee pain if I carry heavy bags (basically my knees think I'm heavy again if I carry something).

I had to take a week break last week from exercise on doctor's orders because of stiches on my back. I did nothing for seven days. I over did it starting immediately and now pay the price in a very painful hip. I'm looking for massage to help (it's done wonders on other parts of me). Can't stop the exercise and am just trying to work through and be very gentle when NOT working out.

Shasta27
08-08-2009, 03:31 PM
hello,
I was going thru here...i feel like i belong ;-)
It will be a year ago this month i had my acl surgery. Oh man it's been quite a year. For the most part i recovered remarkably fast...kind of shocked the doctor and my physical therapist...i'm about 330ish...you can imagine why :-)
What motivated me though is my bowling...i am an avid bowler... i still am struggling though, going down stairs...part of my leg is still numb which is normal. I just got back onto the fitness groove...kind of half to be...what is always in he back of my mind is my graft failing...i can feel it in my knee when i don't excercise. so i decided it's time to get addicted excercise...

Now i'm doing my excercise bike and wii active, hoping to purchase the wii golds gym.

I just wanna get to a point where i don't think about my knee though. I just can't believe how much i took my knees for granted. this has been quite a sobering expierence for me.

Here's to new motivation :-)

Shasta

summersbluepits
08-12-2009, 01:57 PM
OMG I have the same problems as you! I have carpeltunnel (the beg of) in my right wrist and my knees have just started hurting (at 31) though I will say with just 14 lb loss the pain is about 50% gone. My knees hurt so bad I couldn't carry my son upstairs to do a diaper change. That is actually what motivated me to lose weight this time> I don't want permament knee problems. The good news is, mine appears to be goign away with weight loss. Maybe the same willl happen for you?

Diva
08-12-2009, 07:21 PM
I know just losing the little bit of weight I have lost has helped my knees a lot! My problem now is some hip pain, but that's slowly getting better too since I started taking Glucosamine & Chondrotin. :D

kimminy
09-01-2009, 03:21 PM
I'm also part of the bad knees club!
I'm only 23 years old but my right knee often doesn't feel right. Today when I was running it was sore for the first 5 minutes and then it felt better during the rest of my run. Afterwards it was popping and felt like it was grinding though.
I'm going to have to try the squatting exercise with the ball as well as the leg lifts.
I know I shouldn't run but I have to because I know if I stop running I won't exercise so I will have to concentrate on strengthing my leg muscles more.

Hopefully I won't one day be destined for a knee replacement like a few other family members :S

beachgal
09-04-2009, 03:40 PM
Count me in...I started a post because I couldn't find a thread that dealt with my issues--I searched for patellofemoral syndrome and for Chondromalacia patella but didn't find either, so started a new post. Didn't notice the stickies! Oops! :rolleyes:

Anyways, thought I'd post the two terms here so if someone else makes my mistake, they'll still find this thread. :)

thistime140
09-04-2009, 03:49 PM
another one of the many!!
my right knee more so then left...but Wow..the pain of bending down to put something in a lower cabinet is excrutiating!! the treadmill doesnt seem to bother it too much,nor the eliptical, and I can handle yoga- but calethenics...like knee lifts etc...No way...cant do it!
my hips and knees really are stiff on Sunday mornings after gigs...I stand for 4 hours...pacing, and sometimes stomping my right foot (prby why the right is farther gone). Too much weight for too long for an old lady!!

kimminy
09-05-2009, 10:50 PM
Okay a weird thing happened with my knees today. I was running, they were fine. Then I did my cooldown, still fine, maybe a teeny bit sore. While I was stretching I sat down on my exercise ball for a second and put my hands on my knees and I could feel something still moving around in there, like maybe fluid or something...even though I wasn't moving my knees at the time! To be honest it kinda freaked me out!

Has that ever happened to anyone else?

theCandEs
10-05-2009, 12:48 PM
kimminy, is your knee okay? I haven't had that happen, but it sounds like it's bad.
Anyway, I will join the sore knee club, too. I tore my meniscus in college doing step aerobics. I loved step aerobics, too. Anyone else here anymore? I don't have a gym membership. What do you all do from home?

ElizRuth
04-23-2010, 09:07 PM
Hope it's okay if I re-open this thread discussion...

I'm 47, been heavy for a few years, and it was my knees that also gave me the real warning that the weight wasn't going with me into my 50's.

Good discussions here - and more motivation to get the weight off - but to be careful of my poor knees.

Sherrie568
08-02-2010, 07:22 PM
For people with joint and back problems, aqua-workouts are ideal - the water acts as a giant cushion for the joints, protecting them from the kind of stress and impact they experience when exercising out of the water. Even people who can't swim can workout in the pool.

I have a temporary disability (knees) that keeps me from effective exercise on land, but with aquacise, I get a good workout with minimal pain. I'm not a good swimmer, so I wear a flotation belt and "swim" laps, jog, do stretching exercises, leg raises, ab crunches, knee flexing, upperbody workout, and so much more.
Most exercises can be done in the shallow end of the pool if you prefer.
You can increase resistance by wearing ankle/wrist weights.

Here are some free videos on basic aqua-fitness pool workouts.
(http://www.ehow.com/videos-on_1799_basic-aqua-fitness-pool-workouts.html)

Note: Always check with your doctor or physical therapist to see which exercises are best for you.

You might find some more information in this thread. (http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/exercise/206086-any-swimmers-out-there.html)

gmfuzzy
08-11-2010, 11:12 AM
Nix the Ben Gay. Head to your local Chiroquack for some Bio Freeze, or order it off the net. I threw out Ben Gay, Aspracream and all that garbage when my chiro sold me that stuff. Been ordering it online ever since.

Where do you but it online? I love biofreeze, my neck especially loves biofreeze.

2feelbetter
08-19-2010, 06:40 PM
So it's impact activities that are hurting your knees? Me too (I have arthritis) so I don't do any kind of exercise involving walking, running, or jumping (anything that you're lifting your feet off the ground). Every pound that you're carrying exerts four pounds of pressure on your knees, hips, and feet according to my knee doc. If you're 200 pounds, that's 800 pounds of pressure on your knees! So when you jump or run, you're putting a ton of extra weight on your joints and they're screaming TOO MUCH! I can even feel a big difference in my knees when I carry a 14 pound box of kitty litter up the stairs, so imagine what 50 or so extra pounds can do.

But don't despair, that still leaves a lot of kinds of exercise! Elliptical trainers (my favorite :D ), exercise bikes (I like recumbent), and swimming are all awesome cardio exercise and there's NO impact involved.

I have arthritis in both my knees and I'm going to get a shot in one of them in a week. I'm also having problems with my feet. Plantar Facitious so they hurt. This summer has been a total bust. I was doing so well with my Wii Fit plus then I hurt my foot. it was downhill from there. My foot is just now starting to feel better.It's been sore or 5 months. It was the pain like a heel spur so I couldn't even walk on my treadmill. I did walk the other day around the track at the high school and that just killed my knees.

This may sound crazy but every single day I say I'm going to join the Y which is 8 minutes from my house. Then I say well what am I going to do there because of the pain. I really want to go swim which I know is the best for me.
Oh well enough of my pity party:mad:
I'm going to to and do my dance dvd
MADONNA GRIMES ----AFRICAN BEAT LATIN HEAT....... if you like zumba you would like this.

buttons77
08-20-2010, 09:44 PM
2feelbetter - getting in the water is an awesome way to avoid the knee/foot issues. There's water aerobics - if touching the bottom hurts the feet, you can do Deep Water classes - you get a noodle or flotation device and you work out in the deep end - NO impact at all!

I have osteo-arthritis in both knees.....up until May, I was able to Spin. Then I hurt my ankle, and it's still bothering me to pedal. Stinks, because I sure ATE like I took Spin, if you know what I mean....

2feelbetter
08-21-2010, 04:50 PM
but Wow..the pain of bending down to put something in a lower cabinet is excrutiating!!

I can relate to that. I pull a chair up to the lower cabinets and to my refrigerator when I'm cleaning it out.

I was at a hotel a few years ago and the toilet was not near anything I could hold onto. I had to try and reach the tub just to brace myself. Very awkward situation. That's when I realized how I ALWAYS hold onto something when using the bathroom even if it's just the walls.

kma415
08-28-2010, 02:37 PM
I'm only 22 and have knee problems. I used to play basketball in high school and was rammed by a boy on my team (who often expressed how girls shouldn't be aloud in sports) and landed bad on both knees. I went to the doctor and he told me I had Chondromalacia which is where the cartilage goes soft from injury and causes the bones to rub together. It hurts just to go up stairs and doing anything where any weight is put on my knees while bending, they pop constantly. I kneel on the floor and sound like a fire cracker going off. Basically all this crappy doctor did was give me a piece of paper saying what I had and told me there was some exercises I could do to help it, but I guess he just assumed I find out what they were on my own (this same crappy doctor swore I was on meth when I came in about my migraines, even went so far as to do blood work on me). Anyone know some good exercises? Or was this doctor stupid and doing those exercises going to make it worse?

2feelbetter
10-10-2010, 05:22 PM
D
So it's impact activities that are hurting your knees? Me too (I have arthritis) so I don't do any kind of exercise involving walking, running, or jumping (anything that you're lifting your feet off the ground).

I have arthritis in both my knees. I just got cortisone shots in both of them last month so, I thought I was invincible. What did I do, I've been doing Zumba. I've been doing it twice a week for the past month.

I stand in the back of the class because I cannot keep up with the 20 & 30 year olds LOL but I keep moving throughout the whole class and I love it.

I love it and I'm paying for it with pain. I don't do the actual jumping I do a modified version but their is a lot of shifting side to side and bouncing. I've come to the sad conclusion that I just shouldn't be doing it. Why, BECAUSE MY KNEES ARE KILLING ME.
So I'm going to try something else. I am doing water aerobics 2x a week and zumba 2x a week. I may now do water aerobics 3x a week but still want something else to do. I haven't even tried the fitness center. For years I've heard how ellipticals are good for you if you have bad knees. The problem is I've never been able to do it. It would bother my knees.

As for the recumbent bike .... are you ready for this everythime my knees came back they would hit me in the stomach ROFL.

I'm going to give these two machines a try again because I have to mix it up a bit.

VermontMom
01-14-2011, 07:34 AM
I have been having pain in my left knee...I read all through this to get some info :) No insurance so I need to deal with this on my own if I can. I think I need to give my knee a rest from the workouts I do, I do vids at home, mostly step (Keli Roberts, Gilad, some Cathe) I do NOT have access to swimming, I guess we could buy an elliptical but there are a billion other things we need more.

Can anyone suggest what I can do for cardio, at home, not on a bike, that will not stress my knee?

Unfortunately I work retail and am on my feet all day. I did buy an Ace Moderate Support Open Patella wrap, which seems to help.

Ilene
01-14-2011, 08:46 AM
VermontMom : My daughter had sore knees, her knee cap. Is that where the pain is for you? He recommended to do quad strengthening exercises...Here is a quad exercise (http://www.shapefit.com/quadriceps-exercises-one-leg-extensions.html) using a machine but you can do this sitting down or standing up, standing is more difficult but better than sitting... Here is an explanation of what my daughter had, this may or may not be what you have Patella Femoral Syndrome (http://www.sports-injury-info.com/patella-femoral-syndrome.html)

Hope this helps, keep us posted on your progress...

VermontMom
01-27-2011, 08:59 PM
Ilene - a belated thanks for your input :) I have an online friend who is a registered nurse, I described my symptoms to him and this is what he told me...

"This is what I hear...Not lateral pain. Not medial pain. no locking of knee..Rules out meniscus. No history of acute trauma, therefore not likely collateral ligament injury...Possible patella bursitis. If so, the naproxen will make a big diffrence in 3-5 days...Other possibilities left are a cruciate ligament tear. Possible from your aerobics, but not usual without acute injury. the cruciates don't gradually become problematic.. For awhile you were descibing a bakers cyst, but not likely. Not much left to figure out without a hands on eval....Therefore, be really deligent with the naproxen and don't skip dosage. In a week , you will fell much better, or your symptoms will become more specific. Good luck. Keep me informed... Just take a break from lower body exercise. Maybe flexibilities or yoga only. Only within pain free motion."

So I did take a break from lower body exercise, and took Aleve for a week. I also researched cardio exercises for people with bad knees and tried to do that...for me that is so hard, because I just HAVE to follow a video or dvd, not watch the clock while i shadow-boxed for 2 minutes, but I tried my best..

I was really afraid of gaining because the regular exercise is my saving grace, it is very hard for me to restrict my calories (no will power) but I see that I really have to buckle down and find some will power!

but I am SO happy because my knee has been pain free for a few days now!

The Chubster
02-01-2011, 02:42 PM
This thread is another reason why I freakin love this place! :carrot:

kleemandy
02-14-2011, 12:18 PM
I am 33 and never had knee problems until I put all my weight on, then I would take a little off and put it back on. I have lost 6lbs so far since Jan 1 and last week was my first week of walking/jogging and my knees are soooo sore. I know its because of the weight. Is it bad to just keep going and thinking the pain will eventually go away or go to a doctor to be safe. I know I should start off slow and just walk for awhile then pick it up. I walk 6 miles everyday even if it is lightly raining. Am I crazy?

georgepds
04-07-2011, 06:31 PM
... I walk 6 miles everyday even if it is lightly raining. Am I crazy?

Nope.. I walked all winter here in the northeast. One problem was falling on the ice hidden under the snow, so I used boot cleats (yak trax) and a ski pole. I'd walk snow sleet and rain. Now that it is spring, it's a cakewalk.

These days , I walk 6 miles a day, I get up at 6 to do it before work. I started because of knee problems, just about a 18 months ago. My left knee was so bad I walked without bending it. The bone doctor ruled out a tear in the meniscus ( a previous problem with my right knee) The physical therapist recommended light exercise. When I began , I could not walk around the block.

These days I can't wait to hit the streets before the neighborhood kids line up for the school bus

VermontMom
04-07-2011, 11:23 PM
These days , I walk 6 miles a day, I get up at 6 to do it before work. I started because of knee problems, just about a 18 months ago. My left knee was so bad I walked without bending it. The bone doctor ruled out a tear in the meniscus ( a previous problem with my right knee) The physical therapist recommended light exercise. When I began , I could not walk around the

I am so glad to read this..first, congrats on your success!! and second, because I hope it helps me.

Now my RIGHT knee is feeling the same pain and stiffness/weakness that my left one was...oh joy. Thank goodness we have had enough snow melt that I can try to start walking again.

Riemontana
04-08-2011, 02:18 PM
There is a dvd available on Amazon called "strong knees" it has a group of excercises that are really helpful. It is only about $15. I really enjoy the types of routines available on the wii and the wii fit.

I was told (in sept at the beginning of my journey) that I need a total knee replacement. My knee is worn out and the exrays show that I am bone on bone. Walking seems to really hurt me and the bikes hurt as well. However, I am able to do low impact aerobic routines and the more I lose the better my knee feels.

I know that it will need to be replaced at some point but I am hoping that I will be lighter and fitter at that time for a better outcome.

georgepds
04-08-2011, 02:44 PM
I am so glad to read this..first, congrats on your success!! and second, because I hope it helps me.

Now my RIGHT knee is feeling the same pain and stiffness/weakness that my left one was...oh joy. Thank goodness we have had enough snow melt that I can try to start walking again.

I wish you well. The trick for me was to start slow and build up. At one point I could not walk up or down stairs, it was really discouraging.

It was the physical therapist that gave me a clue that strengthening the muscles around the knee could help the knee itself.

Vermont is a lovely place to start walking

--g

Sheridan
04-15-2011, 01:34 AM
Hi,
Has anyone used a machine called NU KNEE? apparently is it some sort of $$$ item used in rehab for medical patients but I have never seen it. If anyone has please educate me. I am so trying to find a suitable piece of equipment where you do not have to stand as I have spinal stenosis which makes standing or walking difficult.
Thanks
Sheridan

VermontMom
04-26-2011, 09:38 PM
I've been laid off from my horrible winter season job (from April 13 to first week of May; then to my good summer/fall job)
and my knees don't hurt anymore!!! :carrot: It was a food service retail and I have to stand for 7 hours a day (no breaks). I sure haven't been sitting for these past 2 weeks but I haven't been standing/walking for 7 hours straight either.

This just reinforces that I HAVE to find a different job for this winter.

Wannabehealthy
05-23-2011, 07:47 AM
I have knee problems, and I like to exercise at home, so I bought an Elliptical Trainer. Best investment I ever made! I still walk on my treadmill for a warm up and cool down, and I wear an Ace Knee Brace while exercising...always. But the elliptical makes it so much easier, and it's also quieter than using the treadmill all the time. I can watch TV while I'm using it and it makes the time go faster. I started out with 4 minutes and worked my way up adding a minute or 2 each day. Now I do no less than 30 minutes. If cost is a problem, look around for a used one. Just make sure you try it out before you buy, and ask if they have the paperwork/instruction booklet with it. My biggest problem was finding one with foot pads that were in a comfortable position and big enough, with sides, so my foot wouldn't slip off. I got a Sole E25, and it's perfect for me.

Carol

sweetgirly1
06-21-2011, 06:25 PM

Jo

Yup my knees do that too. It sounds so bad. There's no cushioning there so the bones are rubbing together making the popping noise. : (

sweetgirly1
06-21-2011, 06:30 PM
I'm only 22 and have knee problems. I used to play basketball in high school and was rammed by a boy on my team (who often expressed how girls shouldn't be aloud in sports) and landed bad on both knees. I went to the doctor and he told me I had Chondromalacia which is where the cartilage goes soft from injury and causes the bones to rub together. It hurts just to go up stairs and doing anything where any weight is put on my knees while bending, they pop constantly. I kneel on the floor and sound like a fire cracker going off. Basically all this crappy doctor did was give me a piece of paper saying what I had and told me there was some exercises I could do to help it, but I guess he just assumed I find out what they were on my own (this same crappy doctor swore I was on meth when I came in about my migraines, even went so far as to do blood work on me). Anyone know some good exercises? Or was this doctor stupid and doing those exercises going to make it worse?

I'm 22 as well and have knee problems too : ( I find doing the elliptical makes me feel better and isn't hard on the knees at all. : ) as far as exercises I try not to do anything really involving my knees such as squats, lunges, etc. Basically anything having to bending the knees. It aggervates it more. As far as strengthening it I don't really know any workouts. But all I do is just make sure to workout. : )

emasptv
08-12-2011, 12:49 PM
Take care!

Tekakwitha
11-18-2011, 07:21 PM
I'm 22 as well and have knee problems too : ( I find doing the elliptical makes me feel better and isn't hard on the knees at all. : ) as far as exercises I try not to do anything really involving my knees such as squats, lunges, etc. Basically anything having to bending the knees. It aggervates it more. As far as strengthening it I don't really know any workouts. But all I do is just make sure to workout. : )

I'm 21 and have had knee problems since I was in elementary school. Went to the doctor for them and was diagnosed with Oshgoodshlaughters disease. Without getting into all the technical mumbo jumbo it basically caused a bump below my knee cap on both knees and I was in quite a bit of pain. I was told I would eventually grow out of it. Fast forward to the age of 16 when I was supposed to grow out of it and I was still have tremendous pain in my knees after activites. I'm 21 now and still have pain quite often. My knees pop all the time and swell. My doctor diagnosed me with athritis and gave me a pill, which generally helps.

I happen to be training to become a police officer and part of the training includes a 1.5 mile run so I really just have to suck it up for now.

justhamade
11-22-2011, 11:33 PM
Big thread, I didn't read it in detail but did skim most of it.

First off the cause of knee issues (that are not related to an acute injury) are 2 fold.

1-being something arthritic, this is caused by low level systemic inflammation and can be fixed/cured with a proper diet, (avoiding foods high in lectins and making sure omega-3/6 is balanced).

2-related to a muscular imbalance laterally or front to back. There is a test called the functional movement screen that tests for these types of imbalances that has exercises corresponding to each specific imbalance.

The most common imbalance is weak gluteus, pelvic tilt and poor thoracic mobility, which causes the hamstring to bear more load then they should. This is due to sitting for long durations, and heel striking when running or walking.

The goblet squat is probably the best exercise to improve knee range of motion and the muscles around the knee to support it. I can not post links but there are youtube videos you can easily find.

Foam rolling is also a great way to help with this issue, especially for runners or people with tight IT band (iliotibial band).

I would suggest finding a physical therapist or chiropractor that is familiar with Active Release and the FMS.

Tekakwitha
11-23-2011, 04:02 PM
I'm sorry but I find it hard to believe that you can make arthritis pain in the knees go away with a special diet...

Just my opinion.

zukachicks101
11-23-2011, 04:10 PM
find a really good joint supplement! i have had 3 knee surgeries and i couldn't live without TRIPLEFLEX. it contains glucosomine, clondrotin and MSM (i think i spelled those right) these were recommended to me by my orthopedic and have made a huge difference. the combination is meant to encourage the healing and lubrication of tired joints. if you watch kmart they have them b1g1 all the time.

flourless
11-26-2011, 03:11 PM
I'm sorry but I find it hard to believe that you can make arthritis pain in the knees go away with a special diet...

Just my opinion.

It depends. Arthritis is joint inflammation, so anything that reduces overall inflammation can help. For me, potatoes make my knees ache, swell and rub. So I don't eat potatoes. I suspect that other nightshade vegetables have a similar effect, but it's not as strong, and I don't tend to eat much of them at any one time. There's no particular reason to believe that other people ought to avoid potatoes to improve joint health, but it's worth being aware that something in your diet may be aggravating things.

At the moment, my knee problems are caused primarily by not squatting far enough "back" in my exercise routine. Nothing to do but take the time to fix my form and do some basic PT (electrostim/heat/cold/stretches/etc). Until I get it right and rehab my knees a bit, they'll be achy and catch in the mornings and when I bend them too much. I'd be glad for a diet bullet to make it easier, but there really isn't one.

FattyFatFat
05-22-2012, 05:46 PM
The best recommendation I could give for knees due to personal experience would be a sufficient amount of quality glucosomine products. I prefer the liquid forms as they seem more direct to the joints (it's a mind thing I think) but after using some products 1-2 weeks I stopped hearing the pops so much in my knees and it felt no where near as bad as it did to get up off the sofa or floor or wherever. The only problem is that when I stop taking the products, eventually the pains in my joints starts to come back so it sucks that you have to add it to your regular regime.

I do believe some exercises help strengthen those areas, but it seems like once it gets too bad, you're just kind of stuck to relying on products. If anyone knows of a better method, plz do tell.

Ernifani
06-01-2012, 08:23 PM
Nice discussion, i like it..:)

Jentry07
12-10-2012, 06:23 PM
Have you tried using an elliptical?! Because you are not constantly picking your feet up and down you placing pressure on your knees it's not as intense on your knees!

Silverfire
01-29-2013, 09:32 AM
I have terrible knees, they make horrid grindy crunchy noises every time they move. I have just started using an elliptical for exercise, and my knees haven't hurt a bit. The rest of my legs burn like ****-fire but my knees are just fine! I am hoping that as the weight comes off, the stress on my knees will be reduced and I can start strengthening them up a bit more. I don't want to have to have new knees before I am 40!

slimmingsi
01-29-2013, 09:45 AM
I lost nearly 70lbs last year, one of the main reasons is that moving house walking up and down 1 flight of shallow steps my knees were hurting me! WARNING!

Since then they've been fine even after i do a hard run or some stair training they are sound.

Lucky escape i think

Silverfire
01-29-2013, 09:53 AM
I lost nearly 70lbs last year, one of the main reasons is that moving house walking up and down 1 flight of shallow steps my knees were hurting me! WARNING!

Since then they've been fine even after i do a hard run or some stair training they are sound.

Lucky escape i think
Congrats, that's a fantastic loss!:bravo: I worry that genetically I am already starting out with bad knees. My grandmother had hers replaced at 80-something, my dad needs them replaced at 63 (but doesn't qualify yet) and I KNOW that if I don't drop this extra weight, I too will need new ones, probably before I hit 40! :(

I will continue along with the lowest impact exercise I can do, until the grindy crunchy noise isn't quite so loud....

moldygrape
02-06-2013, 04:42 PM
great info thanks!

Sasha29
04-03-2013, 09:08 AM
I'm so glad to see this thread, if only because I'm the only person under 40 that I know of who has knee problems. I'm 31, and I was just diagnosed with patellofemoral pain syndrome (basically, my kneecap slips out of place and hits my femur, causing a lot of pain.) I wear a knee brace now, and I'm working on strengthening the muscles around my knee. I have a really hard time with some exercises, especially lunges and squats, but I'm doing them anyway in the hope that it will help improve this. Losing weight probably wouldn't hurt either!

Ilene
04-03-2013, 09:41 AM
I'm so glad to see this thread, if only because I'm the only person under 40 that I know of who has knee problems. I'm 31, and I was just diagnosed with patellofemoral pain syndrome (basically, my kneecap slips out of place and hits my femur, causing a lot of pain.) I wear a knee brace now, and I'm working on strengthening the muscles around my knee. I have a really hard time with some exercises, especially lunges and squats, but I'm doing them anyway in the hope that it will help improve this. Losing weight probably wouldn't hurt either!

Sasha, my DD had that when she was really young, like 15, so it's no biggie to have it at any age... It is primarily caused my an imbalance of the quad muscles, the smaller/weaker muscle beside the larger/stronger muscle, needs to be strenghtened ... my daughter did simple quad exercises... at 23 it's gone unless she tries to run a lot... I have this problem also, when I do, I just make sure to do a lot of leg extensions on the machine at the gym, if you don't have a gym try just sitting in a chair and lifting your leg straight out in front of you, preferably with a weight on your ankle...

If you can you could see a physio therapist... that would be the best route...

Sasha29
04-03-2013, 10:42 PM
Thanks, Ilene! My doctor did give me some exercises to do, and then I figured I might as well start trying to get everything stronger. Unfortunately, I can't do physical therapy until I'm sure my insurance will cover it. Right now, they're denying it as a pre-existing condition. I envy Canadians and your socialized medicine!

Kscott
05-04-2013, 12:56 PM
Yanno, I never had troubles with my dagum knees back in my 20's or early 30's...or late 30's for that matter, but now @ 39 almost 40 :sssh: , just about everytime I aerobosize, I hurt my knees and have to ice them and walk around limping! I am TRYING to lose weight here and I really need some cooperation from the knees!!!:dizzy:

Have you tried knee braces? Every once in a while one knee will give me some problems--but I just wrap one of those neopreme cheap braces you can purchase at about any store. It delivers a little heat to the knee--and cures the problem.

Wear them while you exercise--and make certain you're wearing good walking/aerobic/running shoes-(depending on what you're doing for exercise)-that is extremely important. I buy good aerobic (now often referred to as studio shoes)--and I also put in those high heel/pump type clear thin flexible inserts in my work out shoes. Ha.Ha.--they work great in running--aerobic and walking shoes, even though they're not advertised for that use. They cover just the heel and ball of the foot-(aka the impact area)-so you still have lots of toe room in your shoe. They're so thin--that you don't have to remove the in-soles of the shoe--so I get double protection against shin splints and other injuries to ankles--knees and hips due to aerobic/walking or running impact. My feet and knees no longer bother me when I work-out because of these items and I am 60 years old--4 times a week Jazzerciser and do a lot of jumping around. I even monkey glued a pair into my Teeva sandals. About every store (Walgreens/Walmart/Safeway) sells them for about $8.00--and they last about six months too. Then if you work out a lot make certain to replace your shoes every six months--and don't wear them around the house-they're-just to workout in only. You can purchase good shoes at any exercise shoe place in the mall--and there you will be able to get help with what type of shoe you need depending on what type of exercise you're doing. Try on several different pairs to see which one works for you. Personally I like Ryka but everyone has a personal preference. You can also do some reading on the internet-to see other buyers comments-how they like the shoe--what it's for, how the size fits them etc. etc.--before you purchase. You can also purchase them on-line.

Take a little time off from the kind of exercise that's bothering your knees--figure out why they're bothering you-(shoes you're wearing--over pronation of the foot? etc.)- then do some exercises related to strengthening your quads and muscles that hold your knee in place. Then after a couple of weeks of that try your routine again. Then--If you still have a problems change routines--but do not give up exercising.

Kscott
05-04-2013, 07:31 PM
I have a knee related question too. I hope you don't mind me putting it in here.

I have a funny little injury from a goofy fall 8 years ago (whoops is there a step here). It is almost all gone and I have been running with no ill effects (knocks wood).

However when I try to do squats the knee kind of starts to get nervous. It doesn't want to do full range of motion. I am trying something to stabilize it and maybe improve range of motion so I can squat through the full range of motion without this one side hurting. It only hurts when I try to squat low. Slight adjustments with the angle of my feet help alot.

Thanks to the OP for starting the old knee thread!

Since both of you appear to have no prior serious knee injuries--(your's sounds like you may have strained it playing ball)--it's possible that your knee may be affected much like runners experience. BTW--I would give up the squats for awhile--if you're feeling a strain with it. Foot striking the ground and over pronation on one foot or the other can give one or both knees some problems. It might be worth checking on--again proper footwear can correct the problem if that is what is going on. Running store salesmen will have you take your shoes off so they can watch when you walk to see what is going on with your foot and give you recommendations of what type of shoe you should be wearing for either walking or running. Also there are specialty stores with people who need special shoes--of course inserts to correct, etc. etc.

Also the knee has a lot to do with your thighs--as it's really your thighs (quads) that keep the knee together. If you're stronger in the back of your thighs than your quads-and visa versa-your knee can get a little off center. An exercise you can do to correct the knee problems due to impact exercises--is with weights. In a sitting position (if you belong to a gym or have home exercise equipment--or ankle weight wraps) is the weights on the ankles and lift straight up. This will strengthen those muscles that keep your knee working properly, so you can get back to your normal routines.

To get a little more information on this just GOOGLE runners knee and you will find all kinds of articles and information and how to fix knee problems.

MsBootcamp
02-16-2014, 12:18 PM
Just a suggestion, but one I use myself! Rebounding is GREAT if you don't have any aches, pains, or mild injuries. But especially if you DO happen to have lower body pains, problems, or issues, first, see your medical care provider, and ask whether you can do some form, or forms, of low-impact rebounding (bouncing). Particularly, this would include either, or both, jumping on a trampoline or mini-trampoline (aka "rebounder") AND/OR using rebound boots, such as Kangoo Jumps or a similar brand. Kangoo Jumps (rebound boots or shoes) started as physical therapy, people, in Switzerland. REMEMBER: with rebounding/bouncing, you can bounce soft, or you can bounce more aggressively/harder. YOU tailor your workout fun to your own abilities and physical condition (including rehabbing!). So many types of workouts can be done while standing, walking, jogging/running, marching, bouncing, or jumping on a mini-trampoline or in a pair of rebound boots! GO FOR IT! Hang in there, and let's make our workouts FUN!! :carrot:

Sheridan
02-16-2014, 01:45 PM
Dear Ms. bootcamp,

I am glad rebounding had worked for you so well- you sound like a paid spokesperson.

I would urge caution though as can be problems if someone has less than perfect balance , gets dizzy or has
knee issues where the knees may give out.

It is a fun workout but one in which there can be serious injuries .

I have never heard of those boots but to me they sound like an accident waiting to happen. Maybe a really exciting option for the young but not a Good option for anyone with knee issues as they would be hard to remove quickly if necessary.

Sheridan

silverbirch
02-16-2014, 02:05 PM
Glad rebounding worked for you, Ms Bootcamp. My experience was different: it niggled my knee and made my SI (sacro-iliac) joint hurt. So I gave it away!