General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Closed Thread

Old 11-07-2001, 08:40 PM   #1  

Wink Atkins Diet One More Time

Southern Chick :devil: I have fallen off the Atkins Diet for one year and I shamefully:o admit--I have gone from 145 to 189. That is worse than 0 to 100 in 3 seconds in my car. I feel like crawling under a rock and hideing. I desperately need a buddy who has been there and done Atkins before. Any takers to get back on the right track and loose some love handles before Santa comes:dizzy:
Old 11-08-2001, 08:27 PM   #2  

Wink Tough, tough...

I have been there with you... twice now. Both times I tried, it got harder and harder to restrict and stay in bounds with what you can and cannot eat. The best way to shrink a supermarket down to 1 aisle, is on Atkins. I enjoyed the program and believed in it, just got sick of the same food all the time...

I went to WW and am now giving that a shot... we'll see?!
Old 11-08-2001, 08:29 PM   #3  

Red face Oh yeah...

Oh yeah... I would be happy to be a buddy if you want... I am looking for one right now as well
Old 11-09-2001, 01:35 PM   #4  

If you want to lose weight and keep it off do NOT and I repeat DO NOT go back to the atkins diet.
Old 11-11-2001, 06:55 AM   #5  

If you want to lose weight and keep it off do NOT and I repeat DO NOT go back to eating the way you did before you went on a diet. Any diet that works for you is okay, but realize that you can never eat as some people do. You will have to be on a diet of some sort all your life unless your activities (exercises) make up for eating more. It also helps if you are young. It helps if you are tall. I am old and short!!! No diet is easy.
Old 11-11-2001, 04:26 PM   #6  

What is wrong with making your activites make up for eating more? It's not how much you eat....its what you eat and how you move your body. Its that simple.
Old 11-12-2001, 01:36 AM   #7  

Hi doggz23:

I think I said the same thing you did about exercise making up for what you eat. I was answering about the Atkins Diet. I think any diet that works for you is okay. I can remember when Dr. Atkins first started and I went to New Jersey to the wedding of my nephew. (I live in Virginia.) Anyway, his future mother-in-law went to Dr. Atkins (in his office in New York) and told us about his diet. She looked GOOD!!! Her husband jokingly said "I pay Dr. Atkins high fees and she tells everybody about his program!" When I got home, I bought his first book. Over the years whenever I visited up north, my nephew's mother-in-law always looked oh so good. She still was on Atkins diet. I tried it once and lost weight but as soon as I went off of it I gained and never went back because I couldn't (or wouldn't) do without those carbohydrates. It's been a lot of years since then and I have been on various diets. I still believe any diet works if you work it and keep working it even for maintenance.

Thanks for writing. I was recently in a serious automobile accident and am learning to walk again. Both my hips were fractured and also my pelvic bone.I was lucky that nothing was broken so I didn't have to have any operations. In the hospitals I lost 16 pounds but I am gaining those pounds back (darn it) so even though I was near goal when I came home, that's not true anymore.
Old 11-12-2001, 08:30 AM   #8  

Aaaaaaawwwwwwwww Effenbee....I'm sorry to hear about your accident....I hope you recover well. I'm just not convinced the atkins diet is a good idea because you are restricting yourself too much off carbs. Your body needs them. Is there anyone alive who could do the atkins diet for life? Thats what you would have to do to maintain because as soon as you eat carbs your body goes wacko. In my personal opinion its better to REDUCE carbs and to eat better carbs....fruits, whole grains, stuff like that. The secret to the atkins diet is that people can't have any more processed carbs, but he cuts away the good ones at the same time.
Old 11-12-2001, 11:33 AM   #9  

Hi Doggz23:

You, and many many doctors, are against the Atkins Diet. Several times when I went to New Jersey for some affair, I would meet the nephew's mother-in-law again. Sometimes she looked a little chubby (but not as chubby as I did or do) and she would say that she had gone off the diet for a little while but would be back again as soon as these affairs were over.

I really thought the Weight Watchers 123 Success Program was a good plan. I went to WW for 2 years and after about the first year was within 5 pounds of goal but then started yo-yoing upwards. I am sure the reason was that I ate a lot (and I mean large portions) of what they call zero-point food. Well even zero-point foods have calories!!!! It's calories that count and, yes, you can eat more if you exercise too. I understand that the new WW Winning Points Program have started putting points on some that were considered 0-point items and saying more about portion size. Now I think they have it - a winning program!!! But I now belong to TOPS. What a socialable group I belong to. That's bad!!! They go out to a restaurant after each Thursday meeting and sometimes they pick a buffet place to go. I quit being socialable! I can't handle restaurants and especially a buffet. It still doesn't help because I can do badly at home.

Freddie/FNB
Old 11-13-2001, 03:18 PM   #10  

Talking Hi Effenbee

I am in Va. too!!!!!!!! Hope ya feel better soon. I am sooooo depressed-- My home was robbed last week and I am old and scared. My husband and I will never be the same. This has helped the weight alot. Sure don't feel like eating!!!!!!!!
Old 11-13-2001, 06:31 PM   #11  

Hi Southern Chick:

I bet you don't live on the southeast coast of Virginia. You probably are miles from me. I live in Hampton. My email address is [email protected]

When one has been robbed, they feel so vulnerable or like they have been violated. I hope you get over being depressed soon. My sister had her house robbed a long time ago and I think she is still depressed about it. My house was robbed once when I was at work and I am sure one of the neighbor's children did it. He is grown up now but I guess I never worried over it, and another neighbor told me he tried to take a ring to a local Pawm shop.They laughed at him. I had already reported it was missing and that it wasn't a real diamond but a zircon (worth then about $40). I wish I still had it. It looked like the real thing.

Now when I get upset, I eat more. What am I talking about: I eat when I am happy; I eat when I am sad.

Take care.

TOPS hugs,
Freddie/FNB
Old 11-14-2001, 08:43 AM   #12  

Hey ya'll......I go to school in Maryland but I am from Virginia too. I live in rural Louisa County....near Ashland sort of. Do you know where Montpelier is? Anyways....just chiming in.

Doggz
Old 11-14-2001, 10:10 AM   #13  

Hi Doggz:

Is it northwest of Richmond? It's about 80 miles from Hampton to Richmond You must live (when you are not in school in Maryland) about 100 miles from Hampton, Newport News, Norfolk area. I live 33 miles southeast (well it was 33 miles when I went to William and Mary) from Williamsburg. It might be less now with the new highways but I doubt it. Nice to hear from a Virginian. I was born in Newport News, but that was a long time ago.

Freddie/FNB
Old 11-15-2001, 05:31 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 178/see ticker/113

Height: 5'3

have you ever been to lowcarbfriends.com? they have a great forum there just for low carbers!! I was on atkins too and lost 20 lbs! Got tired of the food and am getting the last 15 off by low calorie but I couldn't have done the 20 without that site! They have menus and great advice, etc. It may be just what you need to get you going again!
Old 11-16-2001, 09:25 AM   #15  

Thumbs down

Southern Chick, I'm on Atkins. I'm down 65 lbs. Email me if you want Here's a good link for Atkins Support:

Everything Atkins
Closed Thread