LA Weight Loss - Volumetrics

View Full Version : Volumetrics

meowee
03-28-2007, 10:39 AM
Welcome . . . :hug: . . . Hope this will become one of your favourite places at 3FC . . .

VOLUMETRICS is not new, it just hasn't been making as big a splash in the weight loss community as some of the better known plans. A recent article in Newsweek has been bringing a little more attention. If you haven't yet seen the article, here is a link . . . http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17537369/ . . . I first discovered Volumetrics about a year ago thanks to this review on 3FC . . . http://www.3fatchicks.com/Diets/Diets_Detailed/Volumetrics_Eating_Plan/ . . . After reading this review I went and bought both of the books and decided the Principles of Volumetrics was something I could live with . . . forever.

VOLUMETRICS explains how to FEEL FULL ON FEWER CALORIES . . . and let's face it, most of us don't stick with something very long, if we feel totally deprived all the time. The guiding principle is to get the 'highest volume of food at the lowest cost in calories' by choosing foods with a lower ED (Energy Density). BTW, 3FC has a data-base of over 7000 foods . . . http://www.3fatchicks.com/food-calorie-counts/ . . . and is one of the few that includes the ED for all the items.

What foods have a lower ED? Basically, those that contain the highest water and fibre contents . . . for example; we all know that grapes and raisins start out as the same fruit, right? Raisins simply have had the water content removed. Did you know that 1/4 cup of raisins contains about 100 calories? More importantly . . . did you know that you can eat almost 2 full cups of grapes for the same 100 calories! I know which would make me feel fuller and stay fuller for longer . . . how about you?

Anyway, enough of my blathering for now . . . Please come and join our little discussion group as we help each other make our way along the long and winding road to better health and fitness the VOLUMETRICS way . . . hope to see you all soon . . . :carrot:

Suzanne 3FC
03-28-2007, 11:30 AM
Oooh, I like it :)

kaplods
03-28-2007, 03:15 PM
I haven't bought the book yet, but I've used alot of the principles I've learned in articles reviewing the book.

I love that what I've learned so far is very compatible with other food plans. If you're counting calories, Weight Watchers points, or carbs, or following South Beach or other eating plans, you can still make food choices based on Volumetrics principles, or at least it seems so without having yet bought the book.

I am a cheapskate when it comes to books. I rarely buy used, and will scour used book stores and thrift stores, and as a last resort discount online bookstores such as amazon.com and hamilton book sellers. That I haven't been able to find the book (over 6 years old, 4 in paperback) at a sizeable discount, I believe is a great endorsement of its value. Usually, within a year of a weight loss book coming out you can find it at a good discount, and within a couple years you can usually find it nearly free. Looks like I'm going to have to break down and pay nearly full price.

kaplods
03-28-2007, 03:16 PM
I meant I rarely buy new.

sugarlove
03-28-2007, 03:42 PM
I, too, like the principles of Volumetrics :) I did buy the book when it first came out, and while I wouldn't say that I'm "on the Volumetrics plan", I apply a lot of these ideas to how I eat every day. Especially the idea of adding more lower-ED foods to higher calorie dishes to make a larger, more satisfying portion for the same amount of calories :)

meowee
03-28-2007, 04:18 PM
Hi KAPLODS . . . :hug: and Hi SUGARLOVE . . . :hug:

I don't really think of Volumetrics as a "Plan" either . . . definitely a "Principle" that can be applied to anything . . . one of my favourite things has been the ED calculation . . . you know, the one . . . calories divided by weight in grams which can be applied to just about anything. Usually I cook from scratch, but if I ever do buy a frozen dinner, you can bet it has an ED of 1.1 or less. :D Quite an amazing lot of them actually do fit the principle pretty well. Hopefully we can share some recipes in here, too . . . I make a lot of soup . . . one of the most volumetric-things going.

BTW, the original Mass Market Paperback is only US$6.99 from Amazon and apparently the larger, more cookbook-type, 2nd book will be available in paperback very soon. I've got the hardcover and it's a great book, but it is heavy (literally).

See you later . . . :carrot:

kaplods
03-28-2007, 05:53 PM
It's definitely an affordable book, I'm just stubborn when it comes to bargain-hunting, and was waiting to find it in our local thrift store for $1, like I've been able to do with almost every diet or craft book I've ever wanted. I literally keep a list of books I want (actually printed out "wish lists" from amazon.com - I have pages and pages of printouts, and handwritten lists for I'd say at least 250 books I want to find). Then I check my library and write the call numbers of the books in the margins so I can check them out at the library first (Volumetrics is always checked out, and I keep forgetting to put my name on the waiting list). And just recently I found a website called bestbookdeal.com that compares internet bookstore prices.

I'll occasionally order a book through the library system also, and if I decide it's something I need to buy I put it on my "need to buy" list (only about 15 books or so on that list).

Bearcub
03-29-2007, 12:13 PM
Glad you started this thread. I've been following the Volumetrics plan for several weeks now and am really pleased.:carrot: I am not hungry - in fact I have to remind myself to eat regularly.:o I try to have a fruit smoothie in the mid morning or mid afternoon and that fills me up for very little calories. I've always liked veggies and fruit so this is a good plan for me. I've done Weight Watchers, Atkins, and South Beach before and stayed on them for periods of time pretty strictly, but they take a lot of time to plan and prepare and as a teacher, by the time I got home I only wanted to crash.:dizzy: With Volumetrics, the recipes are simple and most are pretty ordinary - no fancy special spices etc. you have to have around to do them. You're right though that you can use Volumetrics and WW or At. or SB together. My sister likes WW points (the old system).
Have a good week.
Bearcub

meowee
03-29-2007, 02:21 PM
Hi BEARCUB . . . glad you made it. :hug:

You are so right, the Principles of Volumetrics are really easy to follow and besides the recipes in either of the books, it is pretty easy to "Volumetrics-ize" just about any traditional recipe, too . . . especially true with soups and stews (some of my favourite things) . . . basically just add water/broth and lots of extra low-carb veggies; and cut the fat to a minimum and uyou are in business.

Hope everybody is having a great moving and shaking day. Just keep on doing the good stuff as much as you can and the rewards will follow. See you later, gang . . . :carrot:

kaplods
03-29-2007, 07:22 PM
I guess it would qualify as a volumetricized recipe, but I make a virgin daquiri that is very filling and really good.

I put frozen strawberries or raspberries, usually about 1.5 cups, in a blender and add diet mountain dew or diet lemondade to make it slushy, I'd say about 12 oz. If the berries are very tart, I may add a little Splenda, but usually the diet beverage is sweet enough.

I love this for breakfast with an eggwhite omelette or as a late night snack. It tastes like an expensive tropical drink for a fraction of the price and calories (I keep planning on buying frozen pineapple to add to the berries, but keep forgetting).

djamazon
03-29-2007, 10:02 PM
Hey All-
I am still reading the book but already incorporating the principles in mt cooking. It may sound weird but love to CHOP--it is a real stress reliever for me-- so by adapting recipes I am also having a type of therapy.:D

my "new" spaghetti recipe and my "new" gypsy gumbo recipes were both huge hits here and no one noticed there was 2/3 less meat in both recipes.

So far this week (since Monday) I have lost 4 lbs and am, uh- hum, regular for maybe the first time in my life without meds.

Hope to get to know you all really well. Thanks meowee for starting this thread.
:hug:

kaplods
03-29-2007, 11:08 PM
One thing I have noticed, now that I'm eating more "volume," is that I may have to rethink how I often I weigh myself. I normally weigh myself every morning, and minor fluctuations hae never bothered me before, but now eating a much higher water and fiber filled diet, my weight fluctuates by larger amounts day to day.

meowee
03-31-2007, 07:16 PM
Hi Gang . . . :hug:

Hope everybody is having a great weekend. Our weather is definitely better than Thursday's blizzard . . . yes, you read it right . . . BLIZZARD . . . really yucky. :mad: Anyway, I finally got the new TV and the old DVD player functioning together so at least the Frog and I are back together with Buddy Ball and I have no more excused for slacking off on my exercise routines anymore.

The blizzard served one good purpose . . . it got me back thinking soup again . . . here's one of my favourite Volumetricized recipes . . . I call it "Stoup" because it is somewhere between thin stew and thick soup.

Chili Stoup

In a large dutch oven or small soup pot,
cook 1/2 lb lean ground beef until the pink is gone.
Stir in 1 package of chili seasoning
Add . . .
10 oz can condensed tomato soup;
28 oz can diced tomatoes;
2 x 28 oz cans water;
19 oz can black beans, drained and rinsed
750 mg (about 25 oz) package of Arctic Gardens frozen "spaghetti-vegetables", thawed slightly (combination of finely chopped onions, celery, red and green peppers)

Bring to a gentle boil; reduce heat; cover and simmer gently for at least two hours.

Makes about 15 cups at approximately 150 calories per cup. You can add more or less water to make it just about any consistendy you'd like. Just remember you will be adjusting the total calories, too.

Keep things moving and shaking everybody. Keep on doing the good stuff, just as much as you possibly can and the rewards will surely follow. See you soon. :carrot:

Joycelyn
04-01-2007, 10:47 AM
meowee, I have a question. Do you find it hard to find the energy density of (labelled) food? I was on Volumetrics for about a week, because limiting fats work best for me, but I found counting fat grams easier.

Do you have a simple way of finding the Ed of food? I would love to find a way of eating a lower fat diet without counting all day. Do you have any tricks or tips? I have gone back on the T-Factor diet (counting fat grams), but am wondering if maybe I didn't give Volumetrics a fair shake.

Any insight would be appreciated. Maybe I should buy the second book and actually read the first (which I have)!!!

meowee
04-01-2007, 11:19 AM
Hi JOCELYN . . . :hug:

Maybe I'm not understanding you correctly, because I think determining the ED of foods that have the nutrition information labelling on the package is quite a simple matter. . . divide calories per serving by gram weight per serving . . . if the answer is around the 1.0 mark or lower; go for it. You can just guesstimate pretty well, or for a more exact answer, stick one of those tiny credit-card-sized calculators in your wallet.

For example . . . I'm looking at a package of Stouffer's Pastaria, Penne Primavera . . . calories of 250 divided by gram weight of 255 equals an ED of .98. Couple that with a nice salad ( 2 or 3 cups worth of mostly lettuce and other salad greens with 2 or 3 tablespoons of low fat or fat free dressing) and you've got a great, filling and really low ED meal (the lettuce has an ED of .1 or .2 and the dressing - for FF Italian - has an ED of .5)

Finding the ED of foods that are NOT nutritionally labelled (like vegetables, fruits, fast food) is more difficult . . . you will have to look it up, somewhere . . . either in the Volumetrics Book or here on the 3FC Food lists (see the link in my introduction post).

Personally, I think Volumetrics is one of the easier plans to follow without having to really count anything. After a while, you just sort of 'know' the approximate ED of most of the things you eat regularly. Of course, having said that, I must admit that I count everything -- because I'm a diabetic and I need to know the things I'm putting into my body so I can regulate my insulin and other meds more easily.

Anyway, Chickie . . . if you have any other questions (or if I didn't answer the one you actually were asking) just let me know. Hope you are having a great moving and shaking kind of day . . . See you soon . . . :carrot:

Joycelyn
04-01-2007, 12:26 PM
meowee, I guess I've been making it harder than it is.

Just to understand, are you saying you mostly stick to foods with ED of 1 or less? I thought Ed 1 or less were foods you can eat a lot of; ED 1 to 2 foods you need to start portion control (and that's something I've always had a problem with - I mean how much is too much or too little??) and ED over 2 are foods to truly limit.

Is that how you work the program, or do you do it differently? Thanks in advance for any input. I will go to the links you recommended.

meowee
04-01-2007, 02:05 PM
You are correct . . . but portion control is one of my problem areas. I'm a true VOLUME eater - have to feel full; consequently the lower I eat on the ED scale the more I get in my stomach. If I'm buying frozen dinners, I try to stick to 1.0 or less simply because it's easy to estimate . . . other than that, I just keep an eye on the basic Principles of Volumetrics . . . high water content; high fibre content; low fat content. Once I start on the higher ED stuff (Ice Cream for example) . . . I don't seem able to stop at a 'reasonable' portion. So, I just try not to start. :D

I eat a lot of veggies and, except for the starchiest ones, most are very low ED . . . the same for most fruits. I alternate between eating the all-bran type cereal (ED of 2.5) and oatmeal (ED of 0.6) with fruit and some skim milk most days for breakfast. Lunch and dinner are most often soup or low-fat protein with lots of salad. For desserts/snacks, I tend to stick with SF/FF jello or fruit with some low fat Cool Whip (ED of 2.2 for 2 tbsp serving - one of my worst indulgences, I'm afraid).

I will sometimes snack on popcorn (Orville Reddenbaucher's Smart Pop) or Puffed Wheat cereal -- both of which I think have a bad rap by Volumetrics standards. They have a relatively higher ED than I think they deserve because ED is calculated by dividing calories by weight and, of course, the popped/puffed stuff is very light. IMHO 'high air content' should somehow count like 'high water content'. :D

I do stay away from 'fast food' as much as possible . . . if I do indulge, I try to pick the thing that seems to have the lowest fat content and lowest carb content. Even MacDonald's will now let you include a side salad instead of fries as part of a value meal . . . so that helps . . . a little. :o Even pizza can be made a bit better . . . choose thin crust with lots of veggies, no high-fat meat, and (as yicky as it sounds) blot it with a couple of napkins to soak up some of the extrta fat before you eat it.

Even when cooking I'm automatically a little fat phobic . . . I tend to use water instead of oil for stir-frying. Bake with applesauce instead of butter or margarine. I eat high fibre tortilla wraps instead of bread or buns (because I want butter on bread and buns).

Losing weight boils down to one general principle -- eat less; move more --how you get there is just a matter of preference. You can eat small amounts of high calorie foods or you can eat larger amounts of lower calorie foods. I choose the latter route.

Joycelyn
04-01-2007, 03:24 PM
Wow, what a fantastic post. This is very helpful; thank you so much.

When I looked back on my dieting history I realized the only thing that really worked for me in the long-term was reducing fat, that's why I returned to The T-Factor Diet and started counting fat grams. But I realize now that I was making Volumetrics more complicated than it really was (long story), and really, Volumetrics is an easy way of reducing fat while limiting those calories too.

I am going to start REALLY reading the first book tomorrow. I have the second book on pre-order from amazon.com. It is coming out in paperback next month.

So my husband and I will be officially starting this tomorrow. This is how we'll be doing it: ED under 1: eat to our heart's content. Ed 1 to 2: Start limiting portions. ED 2 and over: Truly limit.

I will see how this works. I too am a BIG volume eater and have problems with portion control. I may just have to do away with foods that have ED over 2, but we'll see.

Thank you so much for starting this thread! I love to cook and will have fun converting old recipes and trying new ones. Thanks for the soup recipe, and again, thanks for starting a Volumetrics team.

meowee
04-01-2007, 04:51 PM
:carrot: Glad you'll be on this journey with us . . . you'll find it gets easier as you go along. There are some really good recipes in the second book. See you soon. :carrot:

Bearcub
04-01-2007, 06:54 PM
I've found a good way to chase away the afternoon hungries is to whip up a fruit smoothie and it's so easy to do. I usually put in some frozen fruit - just about any will do - about 1/2 cup, about 1/4-1/2 cup LIGHT grape juice or watered down orange juice, 2 ice cubes, yogurt (either plain w/some Splenda for sweetness or Weight Watchers or other light yogurt that's 100 calories or less) and then I let it blend until it's liquid smoothie and it's delicious and filling. My sister gave me a smoothie make several years ago and I dusted it off and use it and it's been a great way to keep from getting hungry in the afternoon and get in more of the required fruits. You can freeze cut up slices of bananas and put those in or any frozen fruit. I find with the Volumetrics that I am no longer hungry with the kind of cravings I used to have. That allows me to portion control more consciously than I used to.
So far so good!
Bearcub

Joycelyn
04-01-2007, 08:29 PM
Bearcub, we DO have a smoothie maker, and haven't used it in years. Great idea, with the warm weather coming on! We are going to dust it off and start using it.

This afternoon hubbie had the munchies, so I remembered we had a container of frozen, unsweetened blueberries in the freezer. I partially thawed it, he scooped some in a bowl and topped it with Fat Free Reddi Wip Whipped Topping (ED of 1 for the topping, and very low ED for the fruit).
He loved this and found it very satsifying.

My math is poor so I'll be taking my little calculator with me to the supermarket next time I go shopping to figure out the energy density of everything. I am going to make a game out of it.

djamazon
04-02-2007, 12:04 AM
Something I have discovered about myself today is that I may be on the verge of (sort of) becoming a vegetarian. As I sat with my DH this afternoon at my FAVE restaurant about to enjoy a very UN-Volumetric Lasagna, I looked at all that meat and nearly hurled. I ate a few very delicious bites, gave the rest to my grateful DH and went back to my side salad. I couldn't even enjoy that lovely splurge because I was thinking of all of that unnecessary fat that I was about shove into my body. I am very surprised by this. I guess I have really been enjoying the Volumetricizing of my old recipes and I ordered vegetarian fajitas for dinner a couple of nights ago at a business dinner.

I have also been really paying attention to how much food I really need to feel full. I am eating less volume and paying attention to what the volume includes. I know it has only been about a week (oooh, I should weigh tomorrow) but I think I have finally had a real a-ha moment in my life. I really want this.

Thanks again for starting this thread for all of us Volu-maniacs.

meowee
04-02-2007, 08:00 AM
Good Morning . . . :hug:

Another nice sunny (but still cold) day shaping up here in Atlantic Canada. :cool: Hope everybody else has a nice one on the horizon, too.

Just finished my absolute favourite breakfast . . . the high protein pancakes that you see floating around on a lot of the 3FC forums . . . fits in with Volumetrics, too.

Protein Pancakes
(makes two large for a total of about 330 calories, including syrup, and an averaged ED of approx. 1.1)

1/2 cup egg whites (ED .5)
1/2 cup 1% cottage cheese (ED .7)
1/2 cup dry oatmeal/rolled oats (not instant) (ED 1.9)

Throw it all in the blender and whiz until smooth (I use one of those little hand-held blender thingees). Spray your pan with some Pam and cook like any other pancake.

Top with 1/4 cup NSA maple-flavoured syrup (ED .5)

Personally, I like these better than any other pancake or waffle and they really fill you up and keep you full (because of all the good low-fat protein).

Okay everybody, I'll see you later . . . have a great moving and shaking kind of day . . . :carrot:

Joycelyn
04-02-2007, 09:53 PM
Coconut Bowl "Cake" - ED <1

Put 2 tb. Aloha Nu Coconut Flour (26 calories/14 g.) in a cereal bowl.

Stir in 1/2 tsp. double acting baking powder (0 cals/2.4 g.)

Add 2 large egg whites (34 cals/66 g), 2 tb. Davinci sugarfree vanilla syrup, and 1 tsp. Z-Trim Gel (0 cals/5 g.)

Stir well, until a nice batter forms.

Microwave on high 2 minutes, uncovered. Let cool, cover and refrigerate. Serve very cold.

I admit this is a strange recipe, and the "cake" looks strange when you take it out of the microwave, but once cold the combination of coconut and vanilla is absolutely delicious. I love this recipe and will make it often. The texture really is cake-like.

meowee
04-02-2007, 10:06 PM
:rofl: . . . Hi Jocelyn. . . :hug:

I'm sure that cake is delicious but it's probably just as well that I don't really like coconut . . . :lol: . . . the only things on the list of ingredients that we can get here in Canada are the egg whites and the baking powder . . . :lol3: . . . we are so 'deprived' up here in the frozen North . . . :cry:

BTW, If you'd like me to get rid of your alter-ego, lavenderlilacs, to save future confusion, just say the word . . . and she's 'history'. :D

Have a great evening . . . :carrot:

Joycelyn
04-02-2007, 10:25 PM
...please...get rid of her!

Meowee, I notice you're from Nova Scotia (my husband was born in St. Catharines, Ontario).

By any chance, were you the lucky one interviewed for the Volumetrics story in msnbc.com? What a success story! I lose weight so slowly, if I can lose 1/2 pound a week, I'll be thrilled.

meowee
04-02-2007, 10:43 PM
Amazing how small the world is . . . I was born and raised in Toronto . . . lived in Kitchener for about ten years and then finally moved down here about 13 years ago. :dizzy:

Yes . . . that is me . . . my 15 nano-seconds of fame . . . Thanks for the kind words. :hug: Never forget that it was the tortoise who actually won that race.

Hopefully, lavender will have passed gently into obscurity by morning.

Joycelyn
04-03-2007, 01:59 PM
What is everyone doing about bread?

In our area we have lots of light breads that have an ED of under 2, so I'm sticking with those only. We have Western Bakery Alternative Pita and Bagels, and light breads made from other companies as well. I am not overeating these breads, but since breads generally have a high ED it's nice to have the lighter versions.

Because I love to bake I am going to experiment and try and come up with lower ED baked goods, made with Splenda and Z-Trim fat replacement. We'll see what happens. My cut-off point is really limiting foods with an ED over 2, so if I can bake some stuff that falls under that category, I'll be happy.

My problem in the past was that I made Volumetrics more complicated than it need be. In the first book there's several categories of ED, but in the newer book Barbara Rolls separates the density into just three main categories which I like: 1) Foods to eat a lot of; 2) Foods to start limiting; 3) Foods to REALLY limit. I like that. If I don't keep it simple, I can't stick to a plan.

meowee
04-04-2007, 11:22 AM
Where is everybody hiding??

Arrrrgh . . . I am Not having a good day . . . at all . . . enough said . . . see you later . . . :mad:

Joycelyn
04-04-2007, 05:25 PM
meowee, don't feel bad. I am far from perfect. I was ashamed to admit I ate 3 Atkins Coconut bars (ED over the roof) last night because I was depressed about work (bad day). One would've been ok, but three is like a binge almost (they are very rich and filling). I was stuffed.

I brushed myself off and will do better today. So will you! Whatever it is, tomorrow will be better. Look at all the wonderful progress you made!

Joycelyn
04-04-2007, 05:37 PM
And then I ate my Coconut Bowl Cake after the bars!

And this was after a filling dinner.

Talk about not having a good day! But I'm doing much better today.

djamazon
04-04-2007, 07:00 PM
It happens Joy! We have all done it...more than once...more than twice......OK-So I did it a couple of days ago. I went back into my hiding out eating bad stuff mentality and I ate like a horse.

I have so much going on right now and I am trying not to let myself make excuses but I am catching myself making food mistakes.

I have had a pretty good day today. Not great and I did make one bad decision earlier at the movies with the kiddos--saw Meet the Robinsons (Really great, by the way).

I am aiming for a perfectly volumetric dinner.

How do you all feel about V8 juice? It makes good sense to me but maybe the ED is not what I think it is.

Thanks for being here
deej

Joycelyn
04-04-2007, 07:40 PM
deej, I am at work and can't go back over the threads, but are you the one who wants to go vegetarian?

I am seriously, seriously considering it. I was a lacto-ovo vegetarian years ago and at my slimmest and healthiest then. Plus there's the animal treatment issue. I think being a veg would be easy on Volumetrics.

Joycelyn
04-04-2007, 07:41 PM
p.s. the v-8 juice - when I get home I'll look in the book. I believe it was mentioned and found to be very low ED. Will look it up for you.

Bearcub
04-04-2007, 09:52 PM
It has been a busy last few days and I think I've overdone even the Volumetrics. I'm eating good stuff - just think I ate too much of it. Today I had a huge salad for lunch and then for dinner I had a big piece of rockfish for dinner. I really didn't need to eat it all, but it was there. The good news is that I have not bought or eaten any Easter candy. :carrot: It wouldn't be so bad but I have done no exercise to speak of - other than shop:dizzy: I'm also nursing an abscess in my gum that I'm hoping will go down with antibiotics because I really do not want my dentist friend to have to work on it:p
Hope you all have a great Easter/Passover and avoid the temptations of the season's delicious food!
Take care.
Bearcub

djamazon
04-04-2007, 10:23 PM
Yes Joycelyn, I think I am going slightly veg. I don't think I will go all out or over the top with it but the idea of red meat is kinda grossing me out lately. I also TRIED to drink a regular Coke today and just couldn't do it. I know what this stuff is doing to my body. Sugar and meat along with my bad behavior patterns are the reason I look the way I do. I think I am subconsciously tricking myself into getting into a great mindset for success. I think vegetarian is the ultimate way to succeed with Volumetrics. This is not to say I won't eat some chicken or fish or even occasionally a little red meat if I want it. I just don't seem to want it right now.

I bought some V8 so I hope it is good for me.

meowee
04-05-2007, 10:19 AM
Good Morning world . . .

I'm feeling a lot better today . . . don't know what happened yesterday . . . I was sick all day . . . and, of course, lost not one single ounce because of it. :( Would have liked a little tiny reward for feeling soooo crummy; even if I know it would only have been water-weight. ;)

One of the unfortunate truisms of any good eating plan . . . calories do count . . . in fact, they are the only thing that really does . . . every plan is just a way of controlling them . . . making sure that you put out more than you take in. We each just have to find the control pattern that suits us best. :D BTW . . . V-8 has an ED of 0.2 (and 50 calories for an 8 oz glass) . . . enjoy . . . I know I love it (although I sure wouldn't have thanked anybody for it yesterday :p )

Well I've got to get out and pick up a few things today since everything will be closed tomorrow. So far, I've done really well avoiding all the Easter goodies - even the Cadbury's Eggs which I dearly love. Taking a friend shopping with me today so maybe we can keep each other honest - hope we don't keep each other 'dishonest' instead. :dizzy:

Main reason I have to shop today is to get ready for the dog I've agreed to play foster-mom to for a few weeks. His owner is going to be hospitalized for quite a while and her dear sister doesn't want to be bothered with the dog - a 4 year-old Shih-Tzu. I don't even know the owner . . . it's one of those 'friend of a friend' routines. Hope my 15 pound cat doesn't eat the 10 pound dog. Actually my biggest fear is becoming so attached to Moe that I won't want to give him back when the time comes.

Anyway, gang . . . hope everybody has a great moving and shaking kind of day today . . . and a really fun Easter Weekend with lots of nice weather (unfortuntely ours is going to be nasty, nasty, nasty . . . lots of rain, freezing drizzle and very little sun in the forecast). Stop in if you get a chance . . . if not . . . we'll see you all later, sometime . . . :carrot:

djamazon
04-06-2007, 09:09 AM
Woo-Hoo
I have sure been enjoying my V-8 juice. I got in two extra veg servings yesterday because of it. I have always hate tomato juice of any kind but I guess my tastes are changing again. That might also explain my disdain for red meat. It just seems so heavy and gross. I did eat chicken yesterday. It was very good.

I am leaving tomorrow for a week long trip to Chicago. I know there will be some LOVELY temptations there. I think I will do ok though. I am going to eat some treats but I am going to make them treats and not just part of every meal.

So glad to have a place to go to ask questions and talk about this new leg of my journey.

Have a great day!

meowee
04-06-2007, 05:54 PM
Hi gang . . . :hug:

Hope the Easter Weekend is going well for you so far and that you are having better weather than we are . . . around here the :bunny2: is going to have to wear his snowshoes, over his hipwaders, over his snowsuit . . . :(

Definitely managed to have a meltdown yesterday . . . ate a whole 85 gram (almost 3 ounces) bag of mini Reese's peanut butter cups. They were an NSA kind but still about 350 calories and an ED of 4.1 (at least that's lower than the 5.4 ED for 'real' Reese's PB cups).

Stupid thing is, I honestly did not even enjoy them -- OMG, did I actually just say that :dizzy: -- they seemed way too sweet and not worth the 'bloating' (for lack of a more lady-like way to say it) caused by the sugar-alcohols. Wow . . . actually that's a good thing (as Martha would say). Hope I remember it the next time I'm facing a candy challenge. :^:

Anyway . . . hope everybody has a great moving and shaking kind of weekend planned and that the bunny is good to everybody (but not toooooo good, of course). See you all later . . . :carrot:

Bearcub
04-07-2007, 04:31 PM
Okay, I did say I wasn't going to weigh myself until I went to the doctor's Thursday,:D but Kohl's was having a great sale and I went up there and I was looking for other things and there on the shelf were several very nice Weight Watchers scales that promised to weigh people well over my weight range and well, well, well, I couldn't resist. :o I bought one. Brought it home. Set it up and yes, I weighed myself. I have lost 9.5 pounds using Volumetrics.:carrot: :carrot: :carrot: :carrot: Woo! Hoo! Now if that holds up when I go to the doctor's I will be in business!:^:
Of course, the REAL reason i went to Kohl's was because they were having a great sale on KitchenAid mixers.:devil: Even though it won't get a lot of use, I figure it will make it easier to do some of the diabetic and low cal recipes I've been seeing in various books. I promise it will not be used to make cookies until Christmas when i make my cookie gifts for friends. Besides, the sale was too good to pass up - $100 off the usual price!
Hope the Easter Bunny hops off with some extra pounds for you this week. Have fun and I hope you have better weather that we are having here in the East.
Bearcub

http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/t/w0eUReg/weight.png
(http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/w0eUReg/)

meowee
04-07-2007, 06:33 PM
Congratulations BEARCUB . . . :hug: WTG . . . :D

I'm having another queezy-tummy kind of day. Wish I knew why? Oh well, I'm sure this will pass again.

Outside, it is snowing that lovely Christmas-Eve kind of snow . . . the kind that makes you say, "Oh goodie, we'll be having a White christmas after all!"

:snowglo: :easter2: :snowglo: :easter2: :snowglo: :easter2:

Too bad it's Easter Sunday Eve instead. . . :mad: Did a little last minute shopping this morning and the stores where busy like it was Christmas Eve, too . . . except for the place where I had to return something, that was more like Boxing Day. :( I feel like I'm in some kind of time warp. :dizzy:

Anyway, hopefully tomorrow will be a wonderful day for everyone. Keep doing as much of the good stuff as you possibly can . . . see you soon. :carrot:

meowee
04-08-2007, 11:22 AM
Good Morning . . .

Weather-wise this has got to be the worst Easter Sunday I can ever remember. :mad: We are definitely in the middle of the worst storm of the year. There is already over a foot of snow on the ground and no signs of it slowing down. Had to open the front door to even figure that out, because all of my screens are so coated with wet icy snow that I can't actually see much of anything out there. Wind direction must constantly be changing or I'd have some side of the house to look out. OMG, I hope people are sane enough to stay home today . . . the roads are bound to be a disaster. :^:

Since I was supposed to be going out for dinner (cancelled, needless to say), I have nothing much in the house to make for a proper Easter-type dinner. I've got a couple of ham steaks that I planned to cut up for a casserole (Volumetrics friendly mac and cheese) that I wanted to try out later in the week so I guess I'll make that today . . . it's got cauliflower to stretch the macaroni, plus green and yellow beans and canned tomatoes, and, of course, low-fat cheese (but not as much as you might think - or like). Will try to post the recipe later.

Anyway, gang . . . glad to hear that most of you are having better weather than we are. Keep things moving and shaking . . . and stay away from the chocolate bunnies . . . see you later . . . :carrot:

Bearcub
04-08-2007, 08:41 PM
OMG Linda, a foot of snow! How awful! TS Eliot was right when he said, April was the cruelist month. Just when we thought it was going to be spring! I won't complain about our dusting of snow. It has been chilly but sunny most of the day. I spent the day watching the Masters golf tournament and reading when i really should have been cleaning, but hey, what's a holiday for? :rofl: Hope you dig out soon!:D
Bearcub

meowee
04-09-2007, 09:03 AM

The wind is down to a dull roar this morning . . . 20K/13M per hour . . . but no sun and we are supposed to get a little more snow :( . Guess a foot isn't enough? Forecast says the sun might shine tomorrow. Hope it's right. :cool:

Since I couldn't do much of anything else yesterday, I definitely made that new recipe I mentioned . . . here it is . . .

VOLUMETRICS MACARONI & CHEESE CASSEROLE

8 oz dry pasta (penne or fusilli, or similar size)
2 - 3 cups frozen cauliflower
2 - 3 cups frozen cut green beans
1 medium onion, diced

-- Cook pasta and veggies in salted water, drain.

1 28 oz can of diced tomatoes, drained
2 cups diced ham

-- Stir ham and tomatoes into veggie mixture.

-- Preheat oven to 350.
-- Spray large lasagna pan (or two 9 x 9 pans) with cooking spray.
-- Spread veggie tomato mixture in pan(s).

1 cups of skim milk
3 Tbsp all purpose flour
2 cups shredded, reduced fat cheddar cheese
1 cup 1% cottage cheese
cup grated parmesan cheese

-- Make a basic white sauce with the skim milk and flour.
-- Stir in the cheeses and cook gently until smooth and thickened.
-- Pour over veggie ham mixture.
-- Bake, uncovered, for 25 to 30 minutes.
-- Let stand 20 minutes before serving.

Makes 8 servings of about 2 1/2 cups each. Nutrition Information per serving 290 calories; 8 grams fat; 30 grams carb (5 grams fibre); 24 grams protein ED approximately 1.15

A real success, if I do say so myself. :) I used whole wheat pasta but if you were going to give it to kids (or anyone who thinks they are cauliflower phobic) you might want to use good old white pasta and then they'd never know the cauliflower was even there. :) A serving of this with a salad and you are going to feel good and full . . . and soooooo self-righteous, too. ;)

To top it off, I also made a cheesecake-like concoction and here is the recipe for it . . .

VOLUMETRICS CHOCOLATE CHEESECAKE BARS (or Pudding)

Crust:
1 cup Fibre 1 Cereal, crushed
4 tsp light margarine

-- Mix together and press into bottom of sprayed 8 or 9 square pan

Filling:
1 cup FF cream cheese (250 gram tub)
2 cups FF Cool Whip, thawed
2 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
4 tbsp Splenda

-- Mix together thoroughly with mixer or blender.
-- Spread over crust and refrigerate at least two hours before serving.

Makes 8 servings as bars, with crust . . .
ED of approximately 2.7
-- 110 calories; 3 grams fat; 16 grams carb (4 grams fibre); 5 grams protein

Makes 4 servings as a pudding, without crust . . .
ED of approximately 1.5
-- 150 calories; 2 grams fat; 10 grams carb (.5 gram fibre); 4 grams protein

I made it as a pudding (no crust) and then proceeded to prove, once again, that too much of a good thing is still too much . . . I ate the whole thing . . . all 600 calories worth. :o Definitely not good, especially since the main ingredient is Cool Whip which is just full of HFCS. Oh well, today is another day . . . it will definitly be a 'good' one . . . I promise. :D

Okay, gang . . . confession time is over . . . hope everybody has a great moving and shaking kind of day planned . . . see you soon . . . :carrot:

meowee
04-10-2007, 01:01 PM
Hi Ladies . . . Where are you all hiding?

Oh Joy, Oh Rapture . . . we have sun . . . Not warm enough to be having much impact on the snow . . . but all good things will eventually come this way, I'm sure . . . in the meantime, I'm just happy to see the sun. :cool:

Not much else is new around here. Have to get out and get some errands done that I've been putting off because of the weather. Hope everybody has a great moving and shaking kind of day planned . . . and no leftover Easter Bunny 'droppings' to contend with . . . See you soon . . . :carrot:

meowee
04-12-2007, 05:39 PM
Goodness Gracious . . . looks like my recipes scared everybody away . . . :(

djamazon
04-13-2007, 10:08 PM
I am still here, I am just in Chicago this week with my family. To say the least, this has not been a great Volumetric week. Chicago deep dish and Greek food are sooooooooo good. I did make sure I had spinach on my pizza AND on my feta stuffed chicken. haha Not exactly what the book tells you to do but next week is a new week and everyone needs a vacation from their normal life. I refuse to beat myself up about anything I eat or don't eat this week. next week, Back on Track-no excuses.

Hope you are having a great week too.
deej

meowee
04-14-2007, 04:12 PM
Hi DEEJ . . . :hug: Glad you are having a good visit with the family. Not to worry, you'll get back on track again quickly one you get home again. See you soon. :carrot:

Bearcub
04-15-2007, 03:03 PM
Your recipes didn't scare me away!:carrot: With Volumetrics I've been trying lots of new things. The good thing is, I'm not really hungry. I went to a church roast beef dinner with friends yesterday and loaded up on the green beans and only a little mashed potatoes. I ate all the stuff that was good for me first and by the time i finished that, I was pretty full already. The food diary is also a big help because I can see in print what I'm eating each day.
It's cold and nasty here as we get hit by this nor'easter. So far we haven't had a lot of wind - that has gone further north - but lots of rain. When will we have spring? I want warm weather!
Hope you all have a good weekend.
Bearcub

meowee
04-15-2007, 05:32 PM
Hi BEARCUB . . . :hug:

We actually have had a sunny and relatively mild (8C/46F) day . . . and they have removed our warning about the nor-easter and are predicting maybe jsut a little rain for tomorrow night. Maybe, just maybe . . . the winter is finally over. :^:

I love bread and potatoes but avoid them like the plague -- no portion control is possible. Tried a sweet potato the other day, but decided I wouldn't do that again soon either (honestly didn't care for it enough to spend the ED or calories on it -- but hey, at least it did NOT give me a portion control-problem ;) ). . . I'd really rather have some turnip/rutabaga and it is lower ED than the sweet potato. Back to the soup or protein and salad meals, I guess . . . but I do get tired of the same old-same old, sometimes.

Had a weak moment at the store . . . decided to try something called Tofutti -- Tofu faking as a coffee flavoured ice cream bar . . . only 40 calories and an ED of 1.0, very low fat and no sugar. :mad: Too bad they came in a pack of 12 and cost over $6.00 because I won't be eating any more of them. Guess I'll hide them in the back of the freezer and hope somebody comes along who likes them. :dizzy: Funny . . . I like most of the TVP type soy products but as soon as the word TOFU enters the equation, I'm done for. Evil TOFU-:devil:

Anyway gang . . . wherever the rest of you are hiding out . . . hope you are all have a great moving and shaking type of weekend . . . see you soon. :carrot:

cbmare
04-16-2007, 06:50 PM
I alternate between eating the all-bran type cereal (ED of 2.5) and oatmeal (ED of 0.6)

OK. I'm stupid. I'm looking at my box of regular flavored oatmeal. It says 1 packet is 28g and 100 calories. This is not flavored oatmeal and the calories are before water is added. I get a density of about 3.6. How did you get 0.6?

This thread is very interesting.

meowee
04-16-2007, 07:07 PM

Hi CBMARE . . . :hug: . . . Hey, Chickie . . . think you answered your own question . . . You are looking at the dry weight. :D Water weighs a lot. So after you cook it, the ED drops way down . . . Maybe you are 'different', but most people don't eat it right out of the package. ;) . . . :s:

Well I finally did my income tax today and wrote the nasty, nasty cheque to Revenue Canada. :mad: Yuck. Next thing on my agenda is to go on line and complete my applications for CPP (Canada Pension Plan) and OAS (Old Age Security). You know you are officially getting OLD when the government says so by sending you those appies in the mail . . . Strange, but I don't really feel that different . . . :(

Nothing much else on my list of things to do. Our weather is dull, but relatively warm . . . we still have a nor-easter warning, but now it is for mostly rain and high winds and the possibility of a storm surge and flooding. :dizzy: Will Spring every really get here?

Okay, gang . . . hope everybody has a great moving and shaking kind of evening planned. See you soon . . . :carrot:

cbmare
04-16-2007, 07:25 PM
Well, I must say, that stuff isn't very tasty right out of the package. :dizzy:

However, it also has it made with skim milk (1/2 cup). That bumps it up to 5.

How do you figure in the water? Water is all I use with it.

Geez! I'm stupid!

meowee
04-16-2007, 08:15 PM
MARE . . . :hug: . . . You may be sorry you asked . . .

Water will take it down to the .6 because of the weight . . . water weighs approximately 10 lbs x 454 grams = 4540 grams per gallon; a gallon is 16 cups therefore 1/2 cup would weigh about 4540 grams / 32 = 142 grams. Sooooo 142 grams (water) plus 28 grams (oatmeal) = 170 grams. Therefore 100 calories divided by 170 grams = .588 for ED, I think .6 is close enough. ;)

Anyway . . . the Volumetrics book says so, too . . . but you have to understand that I have a degree in advanced mathematics . . . so felt compelled to give you the full explanation . . . told you, you'd be sorry you asked. :D

The water content of skim milk would make it about the same even though you'd have to up the calories by the 40 or so in the skim milk. . . 140 / 175 (milk is heavier than water) = ED of maybe .8

cbmare
04-17-2007, 01:12 PM
Thank you very much! No, I'm not sorry I asked. I thought water weighed 8 lb for fresh and 10 for salt, but it doesn't matter when you are talking the amount here.

Again, thanks. That does answer quite a bit. Because it makes a difference in my high fiber cereals as well.

I don't have the book and it looks like our library doesn't have it either. That's strange because they seem to have every other book out there.

meowee
04-17-2007, 01:26 PM
Sorry . . . my fault . . . Canadian gallon is 4.5 litres and weighs 10 lbs . . . US gallon is 3.8 litres and weighs 8.333 pounds. That's for fresh water. I honestly don't know what salt water is - will have to look it up. :D

BUT . . . the principle still holds true . . . you have to consider the weight of the liquid content of what you are eating to determine the ED -- that's just about one of the most important principles of Volumetrics. BTW, the mass market paperback is only US$6.95 at Amazon and well worth the money -- you won't have to do any math . . . just click on the "Store" tab at the end of the main navigation bar at the forum header.

Have a fun day . . . :carrot:

meowee
04-17-2007, 01:38 PM
Saltwater is 1.025 times as heavy as fresh water . . . therefore; . . . 1 gallon US would weigh 8.5 pounds vs the 8.3 for fresh water . . . I could tell you were just longing for more mathematical 'stuff'. :lol3:

cbmare
04-17-2007, 03:08 PM
Saltwater is 1.025 times as heavy as fresh water . . . therefore; . . . 1 gallon US would weigh 5.5 pounds vs the 5.3 for fresh water . . . I could tell you were just longing for more mathematical 'stuff'. :lol3:

:rofl: :lol3:You are a scream! :lol3:

Where were you when I was taking "sadistics"?

meowee
04-17-2007, 04:25 PM
Obviously not studying hard enough . . . I just woke up and corrected the error in my previous post . . . arghf . . . Math I understand . . . too bad i cn't type.

meowee
04-18-2007, 10:06 AM
Oh my . . . another not very good day shaping up . . . the wind is still roaring and the sky is still very overcast although it is not, at the moment, raining. I'm nursing a weather induced migraine and a companion high Blood Glucose Level, plus a Weird Water Weight gain of 2.5 pounds. Oh well, this too will pass, just like the remains of this Nor-Easter. :(

Hope everybody else is having a better day . . . both weather-wise and personally. Keep things moving and shaking as best you can, gang . . . see you later. . . :carrot:

Bearcub
04-19-2007, 05:47 PM
I was very bad today - stopped at a fast food place for lunch and did not stay on plan.:devil: However, I've planned a good dinner to make up for it. I've become complacent since I've lost some weight.
I've also been preocccupied this week. A young friend of mine is one of the injured students at Virginia Tech. She was in the French class and is one of the few who survived. She was shot 3 times but she will be okay. Her mother was in one of the first cabins I was a counselor in at the summer camp where I work and her daughter is third generation to go to our camp, so we're all a very close group. She and her family have been on my mind all week.
I think this weekend will finally have weather warm enough to get out in the yard and do some clean up work.
I agree about tofu. I do not like it. It's too much like styrofoam jello. Yuck.
Hope you all want a good weekend.
Bearcub.

meowee
04-19-2007, 06:00 PM
Oh BEARCUB . . . :hug: So glad to hear your friend will be Okay . . . at least physically, I'm sure the horror will live with her for a long, long time. :( Awful, awful that human beings can even think to do stuff like that to their fellow beings. :mad:

Things have been just about the same as yesterday around here although the sky is brightening a little and we are supposed to get a sunny day tomorrow. Hopefully that will be good for my headache and my bad, bad eating habits and my resulting water retention.

Hopefully tomorrow will find us both 'back on track' and heading once again in that great downward direction. Try to keep things moving and shaking this evening, gang. We can win this race if we just keep doing our best as much as we possibly can . . . See you all again soon . . . :carrot:

djamazon
04-19-2007, 11:06 PM
Wow Bearcub- That is so scary. You have a blessed friend to have been shot 3 times by that nut and live to tell the tale. My prayers are with your friend.

I have been so good since I got home from Chicago!!!!! I am really proud of myself. I guess I was so proud that I baked some chocolate chip cookies--I only ate one (still something to be proud of I think).

Gotta go to bed. Big work stuff tomorrow.

Bearcub
04-21-2007, 05:45 PM
Thanks for all your good thoughts. I think she's home now and recovering. Her parents are shielding her from the press which I think is a good thing.
I'm procrastinating about housecleaning, but it has to be done. I have enough crafts piled up that if I did a craft a day for the rest of my life I would live to be 325! I think it's part of the obsession - same idea with the food. i need to get obsessed about cleaning. Transfer the obsession!:^: :carrot:
Have a good week one and all!
Bearcub

meowee
04-21-2007, 06:05 PM
Hi . . . :hug:

Weather is lovely . . . but for some reason I can't stop shoveling food into my mouth at every rotten opportunity . . . OMG, I hope I get over this soon. Must be my phantom TOM routine. Even though I haven't had TOM for many years, I sometimes seem to get the crazy cravings . . . guess our hormones still have little peaks at times.

Glad to hear your friend is on the mend, Bearcub. And that you are having a good day. Keep it up. Hope you are having another great day, too, DJ.

Hope everybody manages to keep things moving and shaking over the rest of the weekend . . . see you soon . . . :carrot:

meowee
04-22-2007, 11:59 AM
Hi gang . . . :hug: . . . wherever you are . . . hope you are all having a great moving and shaking kind of Sunday . . . see you again really soon . . . :carrot:

Bearcub
04-24-2007, 08:58 PM
I'm using a technique which really works WHEN I actually do it - I read about it in an article talking about how to change food related behaviors. I have written down on a file card 3 reasons why it is important to me to lose weight and whenever I have the urge to overindulge or binge, I take out the card and read the 3 reasons to myself 5 times. By the time I've finished reading them to myself, the urge has passed and I've reinforced why I'm doing this. :hug: It's a form of self-behavior modification, but the fact is, when I do it, it works. The key is the repetition:p Over time I am supposed to get to the point where I won't need the card because I will automatically think of those reasons and avoid the binge without it. I've discovered that my need to eat, that little devil that sits in the back of my mind and says, "Wouldn't a piece of pie taste really good, or a KFC dinner? :devil: " , also tries to keep me from pulling that card out of my purse/pocket, so I have to really make the effort. But when I do, it does work. :carrot:
Only 5 weeks till I go to camp. Yea!!!:D :D :D
Bearcub

meowee
04-25-2007, 09:02 AM

Wow BEARCUB . . . that sounds like a greaat idea . . . think I'll hve to try something like that.

Sorry I was MIA . . . Yesterday turned into a really busy one; just chock full of appointments of various kinds. Got off to a rotten start with a really low blood glucose level, picked up with a great scale reading (more on that later), picked up even further with an earlier booking to get the cataract surgery on the second (right) eye - Monday, April 30; instead of May 9 - so that gives me more healing time before the 'biggie' (the hysterectomy) on June 7, ended with a craving for Habitant French Canadian Pea Soup for dinner ( I really should know better) which culminated this morning at my official WWI with the scale 5 pounds higher than it had been the morning before. Salty canned soup wins again. . . . :tantrum: :bomb: :tantrum: :bomb: :tantrum: The thing that really annoys me, of course is that I did it to myself and the surgery on Monday will, no doubt, bloat me up with even more WWW for a further couple of weeks. My poor ticker has been so stuck on the same place for so long already, that the poor old tortoise is beginning to wonder.

Anyway, that is definitely enough of my whining. Hope everybody has a great moving and shaking kind of day planned. See you soon . . . :carrot:

brnagain
04-28-2007, 12:57 PM
I guess I should have read all the threads before asking this question, but are you guys having success with Volumetrics?

I started South Beach yesterday, but my husband gave me an article on this way of eating, and he wants to do it. I am so happy that he finally wants to lose weight, and he wants me to do it with him, with us both on the same plan, for ease and convenience. I agree. We've done separate eating plans in the past, and it was horrid tracking different meals.

Can you recommend any books? I like that I don't have to count calories, weigh or measure anything, according to the article. That was what attracted me to South Beach.
Thanks.

meowee
04-28-2007, 05:29 PM
Hi BRNAGAIN . . . My answer is YES . . . (and since I'm a diabetic, all the meds and insulin make weight loss extra difficult) . . . I'm definitely pleased. This is one of the easiest plans (actually I think of it more as a principle than an actual plan) to live with . . . basically eat more foods that have a higher water and fibre content . . . you get more food to fill yourself up and it costs you fewer calories to do it. Definitely take a look at the first post on page 1 of this thread where you will find some interesting and helpful links to get you started.

Hello to everybody else wherever you are hiding -- hope you are having fun this weekend -- this is definitely not one of the busiest places at 3FC, but it is ours. . . :hug:

Hey . . . check below to see what I did on my little shopping spree yesterday . . . . . . Found a breeder of Bengal cats right here in my own little town. So, of course, I fell in love, and bought all three that were left in the current litter . . . never in all my life thought I would pay this kind of money for a cat . . . . . . oh well. :dizzy: Called them Frick and Frack (two females) and Muttley (male). Of course they do have great long registration names, too -- but I don't care -- and I don't think they do either. In the pictures below you can see my current problem . . . I really don't know who is who . . . If you see them all at the same time -- Frick is a bit more brown than the other two -- and then, if you have a 'rear view , you can tell Frack and Mutt apart. I'm sure differences will show up in time. At least I hope so. :D

Anyway, everybody . . . have a great moving and shaking weekend and I'll see you again really soon . . . :hug:

brnagain
04-28-2007, 06:06 PM
Well I bought the two books Volumetrics, and Volumetrics Eating Plan. I'll start reading the first book tomorrow.

I couldn't resist skimming through the second book (it is HUGE), and found probably the most important concept in the second book, doing the energy density formula and also a quick "cheat sheet" for reading nutritional labels. This is definitely doable. so doable we can start right now.

brnagain
04-28-2007, 08:52 PM
P.S. Your new cats are beautiful! Thanks for sharing the pictures.

I am basically a dog person. I had one cat in my life who was feral and took a shine to us, and we basically adopted her. She was more affectionate than any dog I've ever had, cuddling in my lap all the time and licking me with her rough little tongue. She died many years ago, but I'll never forget her. I never knew cats could be so loving.

I really feel I am going to enjoy this new way of eating. I did read all the posts and links and am very encouraged. I am a coconut fanatic, so I will definitely be making that coconut flour recipe. Your recipes look wonderful as well, particularly the macaroni and cheese. I love macaroni and cheese! Thanks for posting them.

meowee
04-29-2007, 05:02 PM

Just flying through to quickly say HELLO . . . probably be out of action tomorrow because of the surgery first thing in the morning; but hope to be back on track again by Tuesday or Wednesday at the latest.

In the meantime, keep things moving and shaking, Chickies and I'll see you again really soon . . . :carrot:

brnagain
04-29-2007, 05:13 PM
I guess I missed the post that you are having surgery. Prayers for your recovery soon.

brnagain
05-01-2007, 04:56 PM
I am bumping for any newcomers.

On the first post there is a link to the 3fatchicks review of the book Volumetrics.

This sums up the whole program and is the best description of the program I've ever read.

Even if you're not inclined to buy the book now, definitely read the review!

meowee
05-02-2007, 11:38 AM
Hi Gang . . . :hug:

First thing this morning it was nice and sunny but that is fading fast. Temperature is definitely not May-like, either. All in all, though, definitely better than yesterday's SNOW. :mad:

Sorry I was missing yesterday . . . the surgery went fine although not as good as the first eye in March. This one had to have a stitch and is a little more tender because of it . . . plus, of course, the mere thought of a stitch in my eyeball makes my stomach churn. :( At least I had a good night's sleep last night and the eye is feeling a little bit less painful this morning, but I certainly know it is still there.

Kittens (and the rest of the cattage) are doing fine . . . although I feel like I've got 3 babies in the house and I always seem to be wiping little cat bottoms (they are not exactly the neatest in the litter yet). Doing the 'kitten shuffle' has become the standard way of walking for everybody who comes into my house to avoid stepping on one. I know they will be out of kitten-hood in the ;) of an eye so I'd better enjoy it while I can.

Been pondering long and hard about the upcoming hysterectomy and think I may delay it until the Fall . . . I've just about had enough for now what with the three minor surgeries so far this year and I really need a break. Haven't had any 'problems' since the one that started everything last September/October so it should be a safe little delay -- yeah, I know, famous last words. Haven't called the GYN yet. Going to wait until next week to see if I feel any differently about it by then.

My eating routines have been good . . . exercise is non-existent at the moment . . . and I'm still refusing to get on the scale until May 23 -- the stuff they pump into you during surgery always tends to make you retain a lot of water, anyway and I don't want to know about it. :o

Here is a link to an article I think you might all enjoy . . . http://www.dlife.com/dLife/do/ShowContent/food_and_nutrition/menu_planning/healthy_swaps.html . . . It is aimed at those of us with diabetes, but you don't have to have that disease to benefit from some of these tips about substituting bad-carb foods for some things that are healthier (and generally of a lower ED). Hope you enjoy it. :D

Nothing else is too new in my neck of the woods. Hope everybody has a great moving and shaking kind of day planned . . . wherever you are hiding out. See you soon . . . :carrot:

meowee
05-03-2007, 05:26 PM
Hi gang . . . where is everybody hiding? Wherever it is and whatever you are doing, sure hope it is great fun . . . :hug:

Keep things moving and shaking, gang . . . hope we'll be seing you all really soon . . . :carrot:

djamazon
05-03-2007, 11:03 PM
Hi Meowee and all-
I have been crazy busy lately. Glad your surgery went well. I am scheduled for my breast re-do next week so I will be retaining water with you. haha

Just checking in.
deej

meowee
05-04-2007, 06:45 PM
Oh great DEEJ . . . :hug: As they say . . . misery loves company . . . even if it is for retaining water. :D

Anyway, the eye is definitely still being a pain (both literally and figuratively). The weather is not helping any either - cold and rainy today and predicted for the rest of the weekend - although it is finally supposed to warm up (low to mid 20's) for Monday and Tuesday . . . hope they are right. :^: Kittens are still trying to eat me alive; but they are so darn cute, it's hard not to :lol: at them even when they are bad. BGL is still a little too high. I am eating OP; but exercise is Nil; and I'm also napping a lot (which does not help burn calories).

Nothing big on my agenda for the weekend . . . hope everybody else has great moving and shaking plans . . . look forward to seeing you all again soon . . . :carrot:

meowee
05-07-2007, 05:22 PM
Okay gang . . . where are you? . . . Looks like we are dying a slow ugly death in this thread . . . :carrot:

InLimbo
05-07-2007, 10:27 PM
I think your thread may pick up - Consumer Reports just rated Volumetrics high in their ratings of diets (June 2007). Sue

meowee
05-08-2007, 09:44 AM
Yes, thanks . . . I heard that . . . Volumetrics was Number 1 as a matter of fact . . . hope you are right.

It really is an easy principle to follow . . . but for some reason, people find it intimidating at the beginning :dizzy:

GinaXOXO
05-08-2007, 03:12 PM
Meowee: remember me?? I was talking fiber with you. I am still having a hard time finding a good fit for me. I like fiber35 but I need a little more. I tried the Good Mood Diet and really like the balance it provides but that can be really intimidating especially with my all-or-nothing attitude when it comes to dieting. I really believe in the health and weight loss benefits of fiber and every change in diet that I have made has included the 35g of fiber. Volumetrics seems to encourage fiber but not quiet the 35g but I think it can still be incorporated.

Do you think volumetrics will work for me? I did take a look at the diet part at barnes and noble and found that the ED what the diet is based on. Also, it looks like the diet does give caloric guidelines. Can you tell me more about it and why it is working for you??

I have seen that there is a book coming out called Eating . . . Volumetrics--I believe it is re-published book. Is that right? Even so does it give better guidelines and recipes??

TIA

PS: I have lost some weight but I haven't made the kind of changes that I can do for a lifetime yet. I am doing a better job of eating right but nothing has clicked.

Gina

meowee
05-08-2007, 06:32 PM
Hi GINA . . . :hug: Yes, I remember you from the Fibre thread . . . and yes . . . I definitely think Volumetrics can work for you . . . it is a basic principle that can fit with just about any other plan you want to think about.

Did you take a look at the various links I posted in the thread introduction? They make good and informative reading. Also, if you noticed a couple of posts ago just on this page . . . Volumentrics has been declared the very best of the currently available plans by the latest issue of Consumer Reports . . . not too shabby. :D

As I think I mentioned in the Fibre 35 thread, I'm diabetic and I count everything so that I can control my insulin and medication as accurately as possible. Actually the main reason I didn't keep posting in Fibre 35 was because I found there was too much emphasis on just Fibre and not enough on the other macro-nutrients for my purposes.

The book that is about to come out is the paperback version of Barbara Rolls second book. I have the hardcover version and like it mostly for the recipes although it does give a good overview of the Volumetric Principles too. I will probably buy the paperback version because the HC is very, very heavy (literally) and that is something I don't like about it. ;) The mass market paperback of the original book is only US$6.95 at Amazon, so I'd honestly suggest you pick it up. One of the things I like about it (and the plan in general) is that the authors document all the scientific study behind the plan. That gives me a nice warm feeling about the soundness of the information.

My very favourite thing about Volumetrics is the fact that I have absolutely no doubt that I can eat this way -- forever -- why, because I know it is healthy and, most importantly for my personality, it's easy to follow, gives lots of latitude (i.e., nothing is on a 'don't eat this, ever' list), and it really fills me up. I have to feel full. :D

Anyway, Chickie . . . definitely give it a try; I think you'll like it. Hope you'll be joining our little group . . . and, if you don't mind a tiny bit of general advice, :^: -- try to lose that 'all or nothing' feeling . . . forever is a long time and nobody is perfect enough to never have an occasional slip or fall on this long and winding road to better health and fitness;) But a fall is not a failure so long as you pick yourself up just as soon as you can and keep on moving toward your goal. Don't ever forget that every pound you've already lost is an important victory. :hug:

If you have any other questions, just let me know. Keep things moving and shaking, Gina . . . see you soon. . . :carrot:

meowee
05-09-2007, 08:53 AM

Hope everybody has a great moving and shaking day on the go. For some strange reason I'm not in a chatty mood this morning. See you all later . . . :carrot:

GinaXOXO
05-09-2007, 11:51 AM
Hi Meowie: Thank you. I will sift through the posts and get the links. Because of your endorsement I am going to get the book at Barnes and Noble and join you here. I really need the support.

Gina

GinaXOXO
05-09-2007, 11:04 PM
Hi! I have my book. Did I chase everyone away??

Gina

meowee
05-10-2007, 06:16 PM
Hi GINA . . . :hug: . . . no, you didn't scare anybody away -- it's pretty quiet around here . . . Volumetrics has just never had the hype that the highly commercial plans get (like LAWL, Jenny Craig, etcetera). I'm really hoping things will pick up now that Consumer Reports ranked us the number 1 diet. Enjoy your book and if you have any questions, you know where I am.

Wow, I've had one of those days that you just don't know where it went. Had a guy over to install two A/C units and then my friend and I were doing some spring cleaning type stuff, and, well you know how one thing seems to lead to another, and another, and another. ;) However I have been eating properly (so far) and I guess you have to call all the furniture pushing and shoving exercise.

Hope everybody is keeping things moving and shaking while they are doing the good stuff. . . see you soon. . . :carrot:

GinaXOXO
05-10-2007, 09:37 PM
It is great that you are getting some spring cleaning done. I always feel better when I get it done. I have only done ONE closet. I think I skipped it last year so it is a little more than the ordinary.

I have skimmed the book a little. Here is what I have ate today:

Breakfast:

oatmeal and skim milk
orange

Lunch: (at Family Table)

vegetable egg white omelet

Dinner:

grilled chicken
one slice of 7 grain bread
oven fries
peas

I tried to eyeball the ED and everything was under except I added oil to the oven fries. How do you know the ED of mixed foods like that?? It is hard to know how many servings were in it. Otherwise I think I could divide the oil and fries by servings and figure it out.

I think I need to get my book and read some more.

Gina

brnagain
05-11-2007, 08:45 AM
Hi everyone...been away from a few days. Only had one bad day off volumetrics (very high in fat day), and I'm not looking forward to my weigh-in today. I have to keep reminding myself...progress, not perfection! That fat-drenched spaghetti meal wasn't even worth it.

Glad to be back and can't wait to read the new consumer affairs someone mentioned...have to go back and read all your posts from the last few days...just returned, logged in and skimmed over them...will be posting again soon!

brnagain
05-11-2007, 10:23 AM
Gina, I just reread your post.

I do not count anything. I wanted an eating plan, similar in the vein of South Beach, where you just eat your foods without counting, weighing, measuring, etc. I've been there, done that, and it's no way to live (for me anyway).

What I'm doing is following the basic ED principles - I read a study where the author Barbara Rolls had folks follow either a low ED diet with no counting calories, fat grams, etc. or a low calorie, portion controlled diet, and the folks following the low ED diet lost weight just as well as those on the calorie counting diet.

Also, since math is not my favorite subject, I just use the "comparison" mentioned in the second book, and also in the 3 fat chicks review of the book (actually I think the second Volumetrics book is worth it alone for the more thorough explanation of calculating ED than the first book, but the first book has more science behind it).

So this is what I'm doing:

If the food has fewer calories than grams, I know I can eat a LOT.

If the food has the same number of calories as grams, or up to twice as many, I start being aware of my portions.

If the food has over double the calories as grams, it is truly a red light food and I can only eat a little of it.

I also try to avoid sugars as much as possible.

I am hoping this will work for me. Only time will tell, but I am at the end of my rope as I have to stop my obsesssion with diets, counting, weighing and measuring food. It is insanity, and I believe this way of eating may be the light at the end of the tunnel for me.

I applaud folks who can count everything, I think it is very admirable and a real discipline, but after years of dieting, I just can't do it anymore. It is very upsetting to me and gives me no peace of mind. The only time I measure food is to calculate the ED of a recipe I'm creating. Then from that point on I know the ED.

I am praying this way of eating will really work for me in the long run. My husband likes it very much.

GinaXOXO
05-11-2007, 01:29 PM
Born again: Thank you. How is it working for you? How do you feel? Are you losing?

Do you even limit an ED of 1 and 2?? Or do you limit anything over 2? I guess that is what I was thinking of. I was going to just eat all 1 and 2 and see if that worked.

I was going to eat some sunflower seeds because a lot of diets say that "good fats" like nuts are a part of a healthy diet. Well, the seeds are over 6 ED. WOW!

I am glad your husband likes it. It is so hard! I want to make something my family likes, as opposed to something they will eat, while trying to cook healthy.

I agree with what you are saying about counting.

Gina

GinaXOXO
05-11-2007, 01:32 PM
Quick question: I am going to be out of town this weekend for a MS walk. Can any of you tell me what you would eat on the road?

I love chef's salads and prefer it dry so that is an option. But there are times that a salad doesn't appeal to me at all. Yesterday I ordered an egg white omelet with very little cheese and felt that was a good choice. Was it??

Gina

I am new and haven't had time to really read the book so I am trying to wing it until next week.

brnagain
05-11-2007, 03:49 PM
Gina right now I am not really limiting foods of ED 1-2, but I'm very aware of how much I'm eating of them. So as time goes on, if I'm not losing , I'll limit them more. I truly limit foods with ED over 2. I don't avoid anything, like nuts which my husband and I love, but I just eat a small serving instead of going back for more, like I used to.

I'm losing very slowly. If I lose 1/2 pound a week, that's good. I've always been a very slow loser and I'm ok with that. Even if I lose a pound a month that's 12 pounds less next year.

I'm in this for the long haul. I've had it with quick weight loss plans, etc. I want to eat healthy and I think Volumetrics is giving me that. I'm not focusing too much on my weight, as long as I see a downward trend as time goes on.

In answer to your other question, it sounds like you're doing great. If I was eating out I'd have lean sirloin steaks, salads, veggies without fat and fruit. Non-creamy soups are good and so is chicken and fish. I actually prefer steak or fish houses, because I can order lean steak, chicken or fish, specified grilled without fat. I really avoid breads when eating out. Hope this helped a little.

Oh even in fast food places like Carl's jr. you can order a bbq chicken sandwich (chicken breast on whole grain roll). I'd just eat half the roll.

On many websites now they offer full menus with nutritional information, giving the weight in grams and then the calories, so you can compare the two and then pick an entree' with a lower ED.

meowee
05-11-2007, 05:34 PM

Just a quick zip through, I'm afraid. It has been another busy (and expensive) day. The Sears service man came early this afternoon -- fixed the stove (the one I cared the least about) -- told me he could fix the refrigerator (a leak in the cooling system) but it would be about $400. So I went out and spent $850 for a new one instead. It will be delivered tomorrow.

Other than that, I'm just tired. . . and broke. :( Still eating OP but no formal exercise worth discussing. Hopefully things will settle back into a normal, less expensive rut really soon.

Hope you all have a great evening planned . . . see you soon . . . :carrot:

meowee
05-12-2007, 04:19 PM
Hi there, everybody . . . :wave:

Just a zipping through again . . . Wanted to let you know that I have refrigeration and, as the Martha would say, "It's a good thing". Hopefully my life will be back to it's boring normalcy again really soon and I'll have more time for on-line gossip. :D

In the meantime, keep things moving and shaking, gang . . . :carrot:

meowee
05-13-2007, 08:04 AM
:celebrate: Happy Mother's Day :woo:

Ilene
05-14-2007, 12:34 PM
Just received the Volumetrics Eating Plan book this morning... I'm looking forward to reading it :book2:

Hi :wave: Meowee :D

GinaXOXO
05-14-2007, 05:38 PM
Ilene: I think it is an easy read and so far it appears very do-able. Although today will be the first day that I really apply it.

I belong to www.recipezaar.com and I am so pleased at how easy it is to find recipes that are lower ED. Most of my meals are 1.5 ED.

Here is my question though.

How do I mix foods. I know that I can have higher ED foods but I want my daily ED total to be less than 2. Does anyone else do that or do you mostly only eat foods that are less than 2??

Peanut Butter has a high Ed but I want to use it as a dip for an apple.

Or my subway wrap has a lower ED but I want some baked chips. I think together with both of their weights and both calories it has to be somewhere around 2, right??

I don't plan on counting calories or even journaling. In the book she said people who didn't count calories and still lost more weight than those who did. Also, she said to have nuts and healthy oil but I guess that has thrown me a bit.

All right ya all what do you do??

GIna

meowee
05-15-2007, 09:31 AM
Hi Ho Everybody . . . :hug:

Sorry, but I'm just rushing through again for now . . . :wave: Hopefully, I'll get back for a chat a little later (and to give you some suggestions, Gina). Welcome, Ilene, glad to have you with us.

See you soon, gang . . . :carrot:

meowee
05-16-2007, 09:57 AM
Oh Phooey . . . Afraid I have to apologize for another quick :wave: again this morning.

Sears sent the wrong part for my vacuum (even though I gave them the model, serial, and oart numbers when I ordered it). They tell me that is all they have with that number and it won't fit my machine. So, guess I'm off to the nearest vacuum repair centre (two towns away) to see what they can do for me, even though I've had a not perfect experience with their work in the past. Only other alternative would seem to be another new appliance and this vacuum is only three years old and was not a cheapie to begin with -- talk about planned obsolesence. :mad:

To top things off . . . we have a snow warning . . . SNOW????? on the 16th of May?????
Anyway . . . keep things moving and shaking, gang . . . hope to see you later . . . :carrot:

meowee
05-17-2007, 10:31 AM
Well . . . here it is morning again . . . :hug: But definitely not one of the better ones. I'm still not feeling too chatty, I'm afraid. :(

We got it after all . . . not just the snow, but rain, then freezing rain, then hail, then snow, and now back to rain . . . roads aren't too bad, but my front and back porches are just covered in ice . . . other than that, nothing much is going on around here . . . but then, who needs more than that. Ain't Spring grand. :mad:

Hope everybody has a great moving and shaking kind of day planned, and that you definitely have better weather in your 'neck of the woods'. See you all later, gang . . . :carrot:

MORCOFE
05-17-2007, 09:23 PM
hey there! I'm Cindy-newbie and I am just reading a bit on Volumetrics online and thinking this is the way for me...I've been on Atkins before and although I lost very quickly, about 35 lbs in a little over 2 months, it was not the life for me..I couldn't stick with it - and lo and behold gained that back plus a few :(. I am going to order The book on Volumetrics. I look forward to posting with all of you who are implementing this plan into your lifestyle.

meowee
05-18-2007, 06:19 PM
Hi CINDY . . . :hug: . . . welcome to our world. I think the principles of Volumetrics are absolutely great . . . hope you will too and hope you'll get a chance to check out the links that I put in the introduction thread.

This is the beginning of the Victoria Day long weekend in Canada . . . the traditional time for opening the cottage; planting the Spring garden; and other things that usually get done when the weather finally warms up enough. That certainly will not be happening in Atlantic Canada this year. :( Nothing but cold, dull, dreary in the forecast for the whole weekend. At least yesterday's snow has melted again. ;)

Nothing exciting on my agenda . . . thought I'd do a little sewing . . . if the weather ever does warm up, I "have nothing to wear". So far, not so good. The two old cats have figured it out over the years, but it's amazing how much damage Purrecious and the three kittens can do in the middle of a pile of fabric and tissue paper. Guess I'll have to shut them all in one of the bedrooms for a while -- too bad the room where the kitty litter lives doesn't have a door. :o

Have a great moving and shaking evening, gang. See you all again soon. :carrot:

MORCOFE
05-18-2007, 08:06 PM
Hi CINDY . . . :hug: . . . welcome to our world. I think the principles of Volumetrics are absolutely great . . . hope you will too and hope you'll get a chance to check out the links that I put in the introduction thread.............

..........Have a great moving and shaking evening, gang. See you all again soon. :carrot:

Hi and thank you for the nice welcome. I will indeed check out those links.
Have a great weekend!

nutritionista
05-18-2007, 10:44 PM
I just joined. I'm not really trying to lose weight, but I do like to talk about healthful eating. I haven't read this entire thread, nor have I read "Volumetrics," however I get the gist, and I think this approach offers a lot of sound logic.

One thing I love to make that is both filling and flavorful -- and can be made year-round -- is roasted tomatoes. I just buy a bunch of Roma tomatoes, cut them in half and put them cut side up on a parchment-covered baking sheet with some fresh herb sprigs (thyme/sage/oregano, usually) and some garlic cloves if I'm in the mood. I season them with a little kosher salt, cracked pepper, garlic powder and onion powder, spray everything with canola spray adn bake at 275 for a few hours. (I don't have kids, so I have free time, but you can do this whenever you are doing other prep or have some extra time.)

They get rich and roasty yet retain their liquid and shape somewhat. I keep them in the fridge and put them whole onto sandwiches. The flavor is outrageous, and there's next to no fat involved. I think the flavor of these qualifies as umami. Verrrry satisfying and delicious.

meowee
05-19-2007, 03:31 PM

Sorry that I'm not feeling very chatty today. It's still raining and very cold around here . . . gets depressing really quickly. :( Not much else going on in my life either. Hopefully the weather and my mood will pick up again soon.

Have a great moving and shaking kind of day, everybody, and I'll see you again soon . . . :carrot:

MORCOFE
05-19-2007, 10:30 PM
I just joined. I'm not really trying to lose weight, but I do like to talk about healthful eating. I haven't read this entire thread, nor have I read "Volumetrics," however I get the gist, and I think this approach offers a lot of sound logic.

One thing I love to make that is both filling and flavorful -- and can be made year-round -- is roasted tomatoes. I just buy a bunch of Roma tomatoes, cut them in half and put them cut side up on a parchment-covered baking sheet with some fresh herb sprigs (thyme/sage/oregano, usually) and some garlic cloves if I'm in the mood. I season them with a little kosher salt, cracked pepper, garlic powder and onion powder, spray everything with canola spray adn bake at 275 for a few hours. (I don't have kids, so I have free time, but you can do this whenever you are doing other prep or have some extra time.)

They get rich and roasty yet retain their liquid and shape somewhat. I keep them in the fridge and put them whole onto sandwiches. The flavor is outrageous, and there's next to no fat involved. I think the flavor of these qualifies as umami. Verrrry satisfying and delicious.

Those sound great! I am printing that out-thank you so much for sharing that.
I haven't read volumetrics as of yet0just information and reviews but I agree it sounds like a good approach to healthy eating. Just these past few days I have added both salad and fresh fruit to dinner time..I ate those first, had a small portion of actual "dinner" and felt better about what I had put in my mouth :)

MORCOFE
05-19-2007, 10:33 PM

Sorry that I'm not feeling very chatty today. It's still raining and very cold around here . . . gets depressing really quickly. :( Not much else going on in my life either. Hopefully the weather and my mood will pick up again soon.

Have a great moving and shaking kind of day, everybody, and I'll see you again soon . . . :carrot:

Sorry your feeling down ..I agree cold and wet can do that. Curl up with a quilt, brew some tea and I hope your feeling better soon :hug:

MORCOFE
05-19-2007, 11:19 PM
I've been reading this thread tonight and I really want to do a happy dance! It is like a light bulb has gone off..I am so excited! Its funny reading about the vegan influence.I have never been fond of "meat:..which is why I hated atkins-sure it really worked and works for many(my parents , brothers and their wives have lived it for many years and look great and love it) I hated it-Yuck! lost wieght but could not continue to live it.I have been brainwashed to check the carb count constantly..but constantly was falling off that wagon. Fruit? V-8 juice? non- fat yogurt? Whole grain pasta?:carrot: Anyhow..reading the posts here, I really see things i WANT to eat...and I just know that I want & can do this :):carrot:

meowee
05-20-2007, 11:33 AM
Hi everybody . . . :hug:

OMG . . . it's still raining. And if that isn't nasty enough, my water heater has sprung a leak -- just great on a Sunday and a long weekend -- I have a call in for the plumber. Shudder to think what this is going to cost me (if he even calls me back - hope he isn't away for the weekend). :mad:

Obviously I'm not feeling too chatty today either -- the laundry room is turning into a mini swimming pool and the water is soaking the hall broadloom -- see you later. :dizzy:

brnagain
05-20-2007, 04:03 PM
Hi everyone! Still on Volumetrics and loving it. Don't count calories, don't weigh and measure...what a relief. I will eat this way for life. Been so busy, but will check in again soon. Glad we're getting new members!

Ilene
05-20-2007, 07:08 PM
That really sucks Meowee, hope things clear up soon...

Volumetrics, from what I've read so far it's pretty much the way I've been eating for the last several years except I count calories, because even if it's healthy foods I can eat too much of it and gain weight ... I'm looking forward to trying a few recipes...

brnagain
05-21-2007, 05:34 PM
Ilene, I just can't count anymore!

I think Volumetrics is closest to the WW Core plan than anything I've seen so far. I have a copy of their plan, and it's identical almost, except on WW you count points for high ED foods, and on Volumetrics you just eat minimal amounts, using your own good common sense.

I'm thinking of joining WW just for the in-person weigh-in accountability.

meowee
05-21-2007, 06:37 PM

Sorry I've been missing most of the day. One of my ex-employees (pre-my-retirement) was at work today (even though it was a holiday) and was whining for help, so that kept me rather busy . . . at least it took my mind off the plumbing problems that are still with me. :dizzy: Try not to have semi-major disasters in a small town on a holiday weekend . . . wow - hope I find my plumber tomorrow; and hope he can fit my water heater into the morning or at least give me a definite time (because I have a previously scheduled appointment at 1:00). :^:

Have a good moving and shaking evening everybody . . . see you soon. :carrot:

meowee
05-23-2007, 06:22 PM
Hi gang . . . :hug: . . . wherever you are.

Just a quick little hello to everybody. Don't know where the day has gotten to. At least nothing else has broken down today (at least not that I've discovered yet :dizzy: ). Went to the optometrist and ordered new glasses today . . .yippee . . . soon I should be able to see properly again. Another yippee . . . Finally got weighed after my 4 week abstinence and got to move my ticker 3.2 pounds further east. :D

Have a great evening, gang . . . keep things moving and shaking and I'll see you again really soon . . . :carrot:

MORCOFE
05-24-2007, 12:21 AM
Hi again, I just got my book today! Yippe and I am reading through it..I was wondering about beverages though-I can't seem to find how to figure out the ED of beverages( I admit the local Starbucks is a daily habit for me) and I would like to figure out my best options. Any help?

meowee
05-24-2007, 08:35 AM

For a change, I woke up to sun this morning, :cool: , although it is still a little cool for this time of year, it is a step in the right direction. Also found a kitten peeing on the couch -- they (mostly Frickle) tend to get a little 'confused' sometimes. Most of the time they are doing just fine at trucking back and forth to the kitty litter in the basement.

Beverages are a little tricky, because they are mostly water anyway. I tend not to worry too much about the actual ED. Just stay away from high-fat; high-sugar varieties like regular soft drinks and most of the delicious stuff at Starbucks :( -- try low fat and artifical sweeteners whenever possible, and keep your indulgences to a minimum level.

Anyway, gang -- nothing very exciting on my agenda for the day. Kittens have to go to the vet for their second round of shots this afternoon and other than that, I hope to get some sewing done. And, as seems to be my daily endeavour these days, I'll be keeping my :crossed: that no more appliances decide to retire. ;)

Hope everybody has a great moving and shaking kind of day. See you all, later . . . :carrot:

MORCOFE
05-24-2007, 06:56 PM
Thanks so much-I like hot coffee drinks (okay love)..if I stick with a tall (12oz) .nonfat milk and the sugar free syrups I can have a tall ,sugar free cinnamon dolce, nonfat latte for only 90 calories-thats pretty okay right? the other low calories latte alternatives are 120 cal. Still not to bad?

meowee
05-25-2007, 11:20 AM
Sounds good to me . . . anything that's around 100 calories for that much liquid can't be too bad. Just don't have more than one or two a day . . . :hug:

The things that scare me (as I think I've mentioned before) are those 100 calorie snack packs of cookies and stuff that give you about 20 - 25 grams worth for that 100 calories -- i.e., an ED of somewhere between 4.0 and 5.0. -- just not worth it in my opinion.

Have a great moving and shaking kind of day everybody -- wherever you are and whatever you are doing -- see you soon . . . :carrot:

meowee
05-28-2007, 09:51 AM
Hi there . . . :wave:

Wow . . . has it ever been quiet in here. :) Sorry I've been missing the past couple of days, but I've had an incredibly awful migraine. I'm sure it's the stress of my appliance-gremlin filled May and all that has entailed (along with the kitten-related things, of course). Our weather has taken another turn for rainy and cooler again too. :(

Hope all the Yanks have been having a really great Memorial Day Weekend. Keep things moving and shaking today, gang . . . hope to see you all soon . . . :carrot:

meowee
05-30-2007, 05:12 PM
Hi gang . . . :wave:

Bye gang . . . see you later . . . :carrot:

Ilene
05-30-2007, 10:19 PM
:wave: I'm here just busy :(

meowee
05-31-2007, 10:36 AM
Hi again . . . :hug:

Wow . . . am I ever glad to be on the brink of a new month . . . May is usually one of my favourites . . . but not this year. :( Hopefully June will be a big bunch better from a lot of points of view. ;)

See you later, gang . . . Keep things moving and shaking. :carrot:

meowee
06-01-2007, 09:36 AM
Hooray . . . it is June.

Thought we deserved a new thread for the new month and the (almost) new season . . . so click on the link . . . http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1715822#post1715822 . . . to go to VOLUMETRICS -- THE LONG, HOT SUMMER . . .

See you over there, gang . . . :carrot: