Exercise! - Everyday Exercisers #2

View Full Version : Everyday Exercisers #2

Dena
11-07-2001, 12:53 PM
Hi Everyone!

Welcome to any newcomers. This thread focuses on healthy weightloss and overall fitness through regular exercise. Our goal is to stay active, hydrated and make healthy eating choices.

Come join us in our healthy lifestyle.

(Hugs),
Dena

Dena
11-07-2001, 01:12 PM
Hi guys!

I'm just so proud of all of us. Some of us are swimming, biking, rowing, running, walking, working out with weights or all of the above. We all know it hasn't been easy, especially with the weather change, but we're doing it! We're getting healthier and we will look so much better on Thanksgiving. Let those relatives cringe with envy. :)

I got on the stationary bike for 1/2 an hour this morning and will walk with my hubby on his lunch break. We also walked last night after supper. That'll get rid of some of the fat cells!!

Pamela, I'm so impressed that you rode 22 miles on your bike!!!!!! That's fantastic!!!!!! You are our super champion bike rider. My goal is to be good for at least the next two weeks before Thanksgiving. So are you ready to join me? We can do this! I know we can!

Jusdoit, I'm thinking of you on that jet. I know how jittery you must feel. You'll be back with us safe and sound before you know it. Can't wait.

Shasta and Kathlean, How are you both doing? I miss you guys.

Shauna, keep up the great work in walking during your lunch hour!

Talk to you soon.
(Hugs),
Dena

Dena
11-07-2001, 07:47 PM
I can't believe it!! I actually went to the gym and attended an aerobics class!! It has been almost 2 months since the incident! I have my energy back and my arm is practically back to normal. I'm just so excited. I still have a dr.'s appointment next week for a check up, but I should be 100% by then.

Thank you, guys, for your prayers and warm wishes. I really went through some dark times there, but you all really helped me though this. Thank you.

Hugs,
Dena

tupo_girl
11-08-2001, 12:38 AM
Dena, so glad to hear you're doing well!!
I think I *am* cheating on my no sweets month, but in an ok way. I've been eating a small bowl of Count Chocula at night, LOL. Hey, it's got vitamins and not many calories or much fat plus it kicks the sweet craving.

I hung out with my good friend today. We went for a walk and chased Emmett around a different playground. I also got lots of new fun stamp supplies. I made 2 scrapbook pages tonight, too!! I like doing crafts. Keeps my hands busy;).

I guess we'll see what the weather is doing tomorrow. It's supposed to be colder but then warm up again after that. Maybe I will really try to get up early and do a video. God bless.
In Christ,
Pamela

Dena
11-08-2001, 06:15 PM
This morning I did Denise Austin's TV show for 30 minutes and this afternoon I went on the treadmill for 30 minutes. I'm so happy now that I'm exercising again. I feel alive!!!!! I'm really jazzed that I was able to get on the treadmill for 30. I couldn't go as fast as before, but I will get there again.

Pamela, you're doing a fantastic job!!! That's great that you came up with a plan for the evening munchies. I'm trying something new, too... not eating in front of the TV and only eating when I'm hungry. So far so good. That's a great idea about the scrapbook, too. You are so right about keeping busy... plus you're having fun doing it.

Lucylost, I often think of your story that you shared. Thanks again. It really has helped me get better.

Take care, everyone.
Hugs,
Dena

Dena
11-10-2001, 11:09 AM
Just a quick note... yesterday I did my Body Flex tape and today I will do tons of walking. I love my Saturday walks in nature. Hope to do the same on Sunday.

Have a great weekend, everyone!
(Hugs),
Dena

Joanie
11-10-2001, 12:03 PM
Hey Girlfriend...how are things? I am ready to begin anew...was over on the support thread with Crone and Babbette...and I was wondering if you were out there in cyberspace! I have not done very well weight wise, but I am back and ready to tackle the battle again...and I needed my exercise guru...I just want you to know that everytime I snap open a Diet Coke, I think of you!:lol: Ha! Now that I found you I know I will have to lay off that stuff too...Hope things are going well...."see" ya soon...Jh:

Dena
11-12-2001, 11:31 AM
Joanie, Joanie, Joanie!!!!

Wow, it's so good to see you!!!! How have you been? Are you going to join us? I'm just so happy to see you here. Can you tell?:D I'm so glad you survived your stressful ordeal. (I know it's probably not over.) But you are here now and exercise wll relieve some of the stress.

Speaking of trauma, I was bitten by a Black Widow Spider AND tore a tendon at the same time. Hello!!!! Couldn't move my arm for almost 2 months, and the PAIN!!!!! I was not a pretty sight. All of my energy was zapped and I couldn't even walk for weeks. When I finally could move I walked like Frankenstein. Sheesh, just thinking about it sends me off to "pain city." Not a happy thought.

Everyone on this thread has been so supportive and helpful to me while I was lamenting. And gentle exercise, tons of meds, prayers and well wishes got me through all of this. Looks like I'm just about back to my old self. :)

So now it's time for me to exercise. (I always feel somewhat saner when I do.) I'll be back to report my results later. Just had to say "hi" first. Hope you can join us!!!!
(Hugs),
Dena:)

2BFIT1
11-13-2001, 09:23 AM
Hi everybody :wave:
Would you mind a new member posting in occassionally?
I have been doing Body for Life lately and I've just started my 3rd challenge (12 week program). I didn't do so well on my 2nd challenge~slacked off of the consistant exercise part.
On BFL you alternate with aerobics and weight lifting, but it's done 6 days a week.
So, I thought that this Exercise thread would be a nice place to visit and to give & receive support.
Dena, is that you from the old WW at Home board?

Today is my aerobic/cardio day. I will do the 20 minute high intensity interval session on my exercise bike. Can't go to the gym today because I'm expecting a repairman SOMETIME today.
~~~Sil

Dena
11-13-2001, 07:56 PM
Hi Sil!!!

I'm so glad you're here!! So good to see you again. How have you been? And do tell us more about BFL. What exactly is their program?

Yesterday I couldn't get back online for some reason. But I'm here now!! Today I walked with my hubby during his lunch break and also got on the treadmill for 30 minutes. I go to the doc on Thursday to see if it would be alright to do other exercises besides walking. I'm so glad I can do what I'm doing. There was a while there, when this wasn't even possible. This is a major comeback for me. However, I feel like I'm learning how to do things from scratch, but I'll get there. Can't wait for the day I can work out on all the machines again.

Shasta, Pamela and Shauna-Rene, hope you guys are doing ok.

Jusdoit, I've been thinking of you. Sure hope you have a safe trip back.

Joanie, I miss you as our Support thread leader. You were fabulous!!

Hugs to all,
Dena

tupo_girl
11-14-2001, 02:11 AM
Sorry I haven't been posting! I got a faint positive line on a pregnancy test today and I *FEEL* pregnant so I hope this is a go. Still trying to walk, all food (except Baked Lay's plain chips) make me want to throw up but I eat anyway. I plan on doing some excercises all the way through if I really am and also not pigging out like I did last time.
In Christ,
Pamela

2BFIT1
11-14-2001, 10:27 AM
Good Morning Everybody :wave:

Dena~~~Hey gal! I tried to look up past EXERCISE threads but was unable to. tell me what happened to you that you are recouperating from. Hope you are well.

As you know, I was doing weight watchers at home earlier this year. It worked well for me as far as the food part but I just couldn't get into the exercise part because I needed more direction in that area. Body for Life (BFL) is a great program that incorporates nutrition and exercise together.

The program consists of a total of12 weeks. Each week you eat right and exercise 6 days a week, taking a Free Day once a week. On the free day you do NOT exercise and you EAT WHATEVER YOU WANT :spin: . So, I figured that I can do anything for 6 days if I can have that free day, and I gave it a try.

The food part consists of 5-6 SMALL meals a day. Each meal consists of a fist size of protein (chicken, tuna, lean meat, fish, egg whites or eggbeaters, cottage cheese, etc.) AND a fist size of carbs (oatmeal, fruit,potato, pasta, bread, etc). You are allowed as much vegetables as you like, just be aware of the high sugar/starch ones.

The exercise part includes some form of cardio at a high intensity, interval level and weight lifting. If you do the exercise according to his book, the cardio only takes 20 minutes and the weight lifting only takes 45-55 minutes.
I use the stationary recumbant bike or the elliptical for my cardio sessions. I started out with 5# weights for the exercises because I had a herniated disc in my neck repaired last January and didn't have alot of strength in my arms. So, if I can do it, ANYBODY can do it :)

Just yesterday I tried a different variation of the cardio session according to Dec. Muscle Media magazine's article "Guerilla Cardio 2". It is only 12 minutes on an exercise bike or elliptical. For the first 4 minutes you go at a 50% pace. Then for the next 4 min you alternate with 20 seconds going as fast as you can, then slow down for 10 sec (to catch your breath :) ), 20 sec as fast as you can, slow for 10 sec, etc. The last 4 min are at the 50% pace to cool down. Try it ! You will not believe what a workout you get in only 12 minutes.

I hope that everybody has a great workouy today.
~~~Sil

2BFIT1
11-14-2001, 10:53 AM
Dena~~~I finally saw your post about being bitten by the black widow spider. OMG!!!
So glad to hear that you are doing better now. :)
~~~Sil

Dena
11-14-2001, 07:13 PM
Today I walked for 1/2 an hour, then went to the gym and got on the treadmill for 30 and went to an aerobics class there. Unfortunately, I could only take 25 minutes before my arm started throbbing. It's a good thing I'm going to the doc tomorrow. I thought I was getting better. Sheesh.

Sil, thank you so much for your explanation. Wow, you're doing a terrific job. Do you like the food plan? How hard is the exercise? It looks like your results are fantastic!!! I wish I could join you. Right now it's best I stick to my ww plan and walking. Everytime I try something a little more, I get a setback. Rats. I'm going to ask my doc when I can start lifting weights again. The last time they told me I might need Physical Therapy.

Pamela, congratulations!! Keep up the great work walking and riding the bike. I'm sure your baby will be super healthy with all that exercise. How old is Emmett now? Keep us posted, ok? Here's wishing you the very best!

Take care, everyone!
Hugs,
Dena

2BFIT1
11-14-2001, 07:17 PM
Just checking in to be accountable. Today I did my lower body workout. It consists of squats (regular and sumo) and lunges , half-way dead lifts and calf raises (all using weights). I also did 9 sets of ab exercises.
I have lots of energy and it feels great. Even got all my water in for the day and it's only 7:30PM.
Hope you all had great workouts.
~~~Sil

tupo_girl
11-15-2001, 12:30 AM
I miscarried today. I cried a lot but seem to be doing a lot better now. I feel much better than I did a few days ago. I guess I should be careful with excercise though. It's weird, I have a sense of peace. I know God's in control even when I don't understand what's going on.

Dena: so glad to see you keep going!!
In Christ,
Pamela

2BFIT1
11-15-2001, 06:33 AM
Pamela~~~I'm so sorry to hear that you had a miscarriage. I know how devastating that can be. Please know that you are in my thoughts and prayers. You are strong, and with God on your side things will work out in the end.
~~~Sil

jusdoit
11-15-2001, 01:26 PM
Just wanted to check in and say I'm back. I was stuck at Newark Airport on the day of that American crash at JFK. More grief and tragedy. It's just unbearable. I'm so very thankful to be home with my family.

Pamela, I can't begin to tell you how sorry I am for your loss. I know you have a strong faith and that will see you through. But, in the meantime, I know it must be terribly hard. You are in my prayers.

Dena, thanks for thinking of me while I was gone. I was able to get in 3 workouts out of the 6 days I was gone. Not great, but okay. Unfortunately, since I've been home I haven't worked out at all. I have lots of excuses that I won't go into because, frankly, they're just excuses :( . But with the help of the great inspiration from you and everyone here, I will be back at it tomorrow!!!!

It's good to be back. Take care everyone :) .

2BFIT1
11-16-2001, 07:56 AM
Good Morning Everybody~~~

Pamela~~~I hope that you are feeling alittle better today :)

Dena~~~How's that arm doing?

Jusdoit~~~I'm glad you are home, safe and sound.

Yesterday was cardio day for me, so I did the "Guerilla Cardio" on my exercise bike. I tried to do some abs exercises but I was too sore from the other day to be able to do them.
Today is Upper Body and I'll do it this morning, and the abs tonight.

Hope you all get some form of exercise in today. It will make you feel great about yourself. It works for me :cool:
~~~Sil

MarvintheMartian
11-16-2001, 11:05 AM
Hi everyone...

I don't know if you remember me, but I was one of the ladies that started this thread way back when. I left a while back to focus on other things, like TTC, but I'd like to get back into the groove, so to speak! :) I've gotten away from regular exercise, and I think that this thread can help me again.

I am still going to Curves, and try to make it three times a week, so I don't have a problem there, but it's the other four days of laziness that bother me. I guess I need motivation to keep moving!

I've just been diagnosed with possible PCOS, and so now I know why I have such a problem with weight around my middle, and difficulty losing it. My dh and I are still trying to conceive, and I've been referred to a ob/gyn, who can probably start me on treatments for the PCOS.

Pamela, I was so sorry to read about your miscarriage... I haven't even been pregnant (yet!) but I know a lot of women who have had one, and I know how much they hurt. {hugs} I'm glad that you have your faith.

So, off I go onto my journey... I plan to go to Curves after work this afternoon (plus I need to weigh-in and get measured), so that's good for today, but my real struggle is over the weekend, so wish me luck!

2BFIT1
11-16-2001, 05:58 PM
Hi Marvin, Welcome back to the group. :)

jusdoit
11-16-2001, 08:15 PM
Hi Gang! I got my behind to the Y this morning for some weights and lifecycle. I hadn't worked out in 4 days and BOY could I feel it :( . I also had quite a nice walk on my lunch hour so I'm feeling like I'm back in the game :D .

Marvin - Welcome Back!!!! It's so good to "see" you. I'm sorry you're having to deal with PCOS. Have you ever heard of the website parentsplace.com? There's tons of good information there including info on TTC and I believe there's a board specifically for TTC with PCOS. Give it a look, if you get a chance. In the meantime, I'm sending lots of baby-making vibes your way :love: .

2BFit1 - Your BFL plan sounds awesome! I recently finished a book called "Hotpoint Fitness" that's a similar type program. I don't pay much attention to the eating part, but I really like the workouts. I may have to check out BFL too. Good job with your Guerilla Cardio :)

Hey to everyone else!

Have a great weekend :wave:

MarvintheMartian
11-16-2001, 08:43 PM
Thanks for the welcome back everyone!

I did make it to Curves this afternoon, so I'm feeling pretty good. I really didn't want to go, but I got a friend of mine to go with me, so I was obligated to go! See what I mean about needing some accountability? ;)

Sounds like you guys are doing great anyway, and I just wanted to report in!

Have a great Friday night!

Dena
11-17-2001, 12:52 AM
Hi guys!!

I walked twice today. Looks like the dr. wants me to stick with walking. The treadmill is ok as long as I don't hold on, and I don't. I have to have some physical therapy, too. Man, what a bummer.

Jusdoit!!! I'm so glad you're safe and sound. I was kinda worried about you travelling. So glad you had a great workout at the gym.

Pamela, I'm so so sorry. Please take care of yourself. You are in my prayers.

Sil, you are doing a fantastic job!!!

Marvin, welcome back. So glad you are with us again!!

Hugs to all,
Dena

morrigan
11-18-2001, 10:02 PM
I seem to have gone from an everyday exerciser (all summer) to a neveryday exerciser (since September). I am ready to get the ball rolling again. Even if it is only 20 minutes of strength training at home or a quick walk down the road, I want to do something everyday to get myself back in shape.

Today (after a week of procrastinating and only making it to the gym once) I finally did something fun. I hiked to the top of a mountain after work with a friend and it felt really great. I was breathing a bit harder than she was and I think she was going slow for me, but it really made me want to get outdoors more and do better things for my body.

I wanted to say hi to Dena, Marvin, and Tupo_girl. You were all here last summer when I was staying so motivated. Then I dropped off the face of the earth for awhile (school started). I really wish I could stick with exercising instead of my normal protocal and getting into and then falling out of shape over and over again year after year.

I'll check back manana with my next workout and catch up on all your posts.

Hi to Joanie too! It's nice seeing you back around.

morrigan
11-19-2001, 10:40 AM
After logging off last night I was reading November's Self Magazine and saw a blurb on a YMCA study. It had a short (6 minute) strenth training thing (sit ups, squats, pushups, glutes) to do each day. The study group lost an average of 4 lbs and was 25% stronger after 1 month.

I talked to my DH and (we started this morning) we are going to do this little regime (plus a few of my knee exercises) each morning when we get out of bed. I am really excited to be doing something together. Scot seems a little bored by holding in pushup position (as my muscles quivered), but I think it will be fun. I don't intend this to be my sole exercise by any means, but by adding in about 10 minutes each day I am hoping to get more motivated. I have had so many days recently that I didn't do my knee exercises at all. At least this way I will always be guarenteed of some.

2BFIT1
11-19-2001, 11:26 AM
WAY TO GO MORRIGAN!!!!!!!

Just doing alittle at a time will get you back on track. The first few weeks are always the most difficult, but then it becomes a habit that you actually enjoy. :cool:

As for my exercising, Saturday I got up at 3:45 to do my cardio before leaving for work. I work 12 hr shifts on weekends, so exercising on those days are difficult for me. What I do now is to do cardio Sat mornings and Sunday is my free exercise day.
Today is lower body day (squats, lungesetc) and if the cramps aren't too bad, abs in the evening.

Hope you all have a great workout today :D
~~~Sil

MarvintheMartian
11-19-2001, 01:52 PM
Way to go, Morrigan! And welcome back! As you know, I'm just restarting too, so don't beat yourself up for it! I'll have to check out that 6 minute strength training! It sounds just great!

As for me, as I suspected, I didn't get any real exercise in over the weekend, but I did break a sweat cleaning house yesterday, so all is not lost! :)

I am planning on Curves tonight, but I have to go to our house-builders first to go over our preliminary blueprints! I'm so excited!!!!! But, I promise you guys that I will go to Curves as soon as I am done there!

Anyway, that's me, and I'll check in again later!

Dena
11-19-2001, 06:50 PM
Hi Guys!

Morrigan, glad to see you back!! Thanks for the info on the magazine article.

Marvin, congrats on building your new house and going to curves.

Sil, as always, great job on your workout!

Today I walked over an hour, 40 minutes of those were on the treadmill. Tomorrow I go for Physical Therapy for my arm. These last 2 months have been trying, to say the least, but I refuse to let it get me down. This, too, shalll pass and I will be back to my old routine of working out on the machines and lifting weights.

Hugs to all,
Dena

2BFIT1
11-20-2001, 09:46 AM
CONFESSION TIME~~~

I did not exercise yesterday :( I really didn't feel too great~ headache and cramps. I went out in the back yard, across the creek where the vines and brier-bushes are growing and it needs to be gotten under control. I started puttering, which led to pulling-tugging-cutting-rakeing and as soon as I knew it 2 hrs had passed. As soon as I stopped, the cramps got worse (time to take my medicine).
So anyway, I will do something today. I promise!
~~~Sil

MarvintheMartian
11-20-2001, 10:48 AM
Hey, Sil, pulling ,tugging, raking? That sounds suspiciously like a workout! Don't be too hard on yourself... it's not like you were laying around eating bon-bons, right?

Unlike some of us.... ok, I wasn't eating bon-bons, but that meeting with our house-builder went for over 2.5 hours! :eek: So, by the time we were done, Curves was closed :( and all I wanted to do was get some supper in me, and get my crap together for today! Oh well... tonight is bowling, so I'm guaranteed some movement...

I don't remember if I mentioned it, but my doc recently diagnosed me with possibly having PCOS (same as Jennifer3FC) which would explain a lot of things for me, including my real slow weight loss. I have heard that following a low-carb diet can really help. Do any of you guys know anything about low-carb? I have a friend that does it, and she hasn't had a lot of success with it, but she likes that WOE. Thoughts?

Anyway, I've rambled on enough for now, so I'll check in later...

2BFIT1
11-20-2001, 02:02 PM
I have tried low-carbing it before (Atkins) and although I lost water weight, I felt tired ans sluggish all the time. AND I constantly craved carbs. I wouldn't recommend it.
The first challenge I did it by the book. No changes. The second challenge it seemed that my body was getting used to the high protein/ high carb thing.
So this challenge I Alternate with some high days and some lower days.
Ex: High Day~Calories 1200-1500, protein 150, carbs 140.
Low days~calories 1040, protein the same, carbs 66. My fats are always less than 20 not counting the UDO's.

I try to do the low days on cardio days and the high ones on weight lifting days. I have had to arrange my routine around my work schedule in able NOT to miss any workouts. I advise sticking to the book for the first challenge.
Thurs~ Moderate /cardio(free meal for food)
Fri~High/weights
Sat ~Low/cardio
Sun~Low/ free day for exercise
Mon~High/weights
Tues~Low/cardio
Wed~High/weights
This seems to be working for me right now.
~~~Sil

morrigan
11-20-2001, 03:38 PM
I have to cut back my carbs - but just to a normal amount as opposed to overeating.

My DH and I got up and did our little strength training regime this morning again. I can't believe that considering how active we both are and that we have been together for 13 year we never considered this before. It was always go to the gym or for a run in the morning which equaled not doing anything because we don't have enough time. Just doing 10 minutes of strength and stretching when we wake up makes the whole day better. I am going to the gym again after school today for cardio and arms.

Dena
11-20-2001, 06:47 PM
I just got back from the gym, and was on the treadmill for a whole hour. Plus, I went to Physical Therapy today. It's so weird how one little Black Widow Spider bite can change your whole life. The theraphist said the pain is attributed not only to the bite but from atrophy as well (for not being able to move the arm for 2 months). And Working out at the gym before this all happened saved my life. I really am happy I am going to physical therapy. Going to someone who isn't overmedicating me and understands what I'm going through has helped so much. The exercises she is teaching me is making me feel normal again, too.

Hope you all have a great day.
Hugs,
Dena

MarvintheMartian
11-21-2001, 10:28 AM
Thank goodness it's Wednesday!?!?!?!?

Sigh... hump-day! :) Less than three days left until it's the weekend!

Thanks Sil, for the info on the BFL. I did buy the book, and read it with interest, as I know a couple who have lost a bunch of weight and bodyfat following that plan. I just find it so hard to have to schedule out my eating. I think I'm just going to try to cut back on the carbs, like Morrigan, and see where that leads me.

Morrigan ~ Good for you and your dh... I've tried to get my skinny-minny dh interested in doing something with me, but no dice so far. I'm gonna keep trying though!

Dena ~ Sounds like you've found a great physical therapist! I only went to one the once a while back when I first started having troubles with my knees, so I don't know too much about them, but I'm sorry you had to go through so much to find out! ;)

As for me ~ bowling was pretty good last night... I kept saying that my teammates better check the closet for the pod, because it wasn't the real me doing that great bowling!! :lol: Anyway, had a great time... but dh and I stayed up late talking afterwards, and I'm feeling awfully sluggish this morning... :yawn:

I am, however, going to Curves this afternoon (and tomorrow, and Friday!), so I'm looking forward to that. Plus, I kinda have to go, because we're having a staff lunch today and we're having KFC! :eek: I can't remember the last time I had some of that! {All things in moderation, of course!}

So, have a great day, all of you! I'll see you later!

jusdoit
11-21-2001, 04:30 PM
I don't know what's gotten into me (or what got out), but I have been motivation-LESS. Ugh, I hate that :( . Okay, I have a four day weekend ahead of me and even though one of those days is a traditional "slug-fest" I vow to workout each of those 4 days. NO MATTER WHAT! I will also catch up on sleep (the baby's been up at night for some reason?).

I hope you all have a wonderful Thanksgiving (U.S.A.ers) and everyone else a wonderful week(end).

I hope to come back with a much better report next time.

Dena, Marvin, Morrigan, 2BFIT, you're all doing FAB! Keep up the good work :D :D

2BFIT1
11-22-2001, 08:54 AM
Well, it sounds as if you are all doing great and staying motivated.
Jusdoit~~~I know that it is difficult to exercise over the holidays but try to get in something at least once in those 4 days. And then on Monday, start fresh. I know that you can do it.

Marvin the Pod Person, (cute) :D

Dena~~You are doing great even with a bad arm. Keep it up, gal :)

Morrigan~~Stretching with your partner; what a great way to start the day :cool:

Everybody have a wonderful Thanksgiving Day and ENJOY!!!
~~~Sil

MarvintheMartian
11-22-2001, 03:32 PM
Just wanted to pop in and say Happy Thanksgiving to you American chicks....

I had a great workout at Curves last night, and I'm going again today. I did spend the morning getting my hair permed, and boy do I feel bouncy this afternoon! :lol: I've had straight long hair for years, and these spirals feel GREAT! (Can you tell I'm happy?) :D

Hope you all have a great long weekend, and don't feel to badly if you overindulge a bit.... you'll be right back on track soon enough! ;)

tupo_girl
11-24-2001, 01:25 PM
My dad killed the computer at our house, LOL. That is why I have not been around lately. I think he's buying a new one this weekend. Anyway, we're still in Iowa until tonight. I took two walks yesterday, one with my dad and one with my mother in law. This trip has been one loony thing after another. I'm going to write a short story about it. Well, I managed to lose 3 pounds this week! I'm almost in the 150's and it feels magnificent. I've lost a total of 33 pounds since July. Crazy! That's more than my son weighs right now. Thanksgiving went well. Nothing really appealed to me so I didn't overeat and a lot of the not so great things I shared with ds (ie pumpkin pie - I also didn't eat the crust).

Dena: Glad to hear your feeling better and getting that arm moving!

Marvin and Morrigan: I'm so glad to see you back!! I was thinking about you lately.

Thank you everyone for your thoughts and prayers for us!
In Christ,
Pamela

MarvintheMartian
11-26-2001, 11:01 AM
Happy Monday!

We finally got some snow here! At last, I'm finally starting to feel like Christmas really is only a month away! :lol:

I got some exercise in yesterday, when I went out and played with my dog in the snow, but other that that, not so great... we went out for dinner on Saturday, and I made a pig out of myself... {oink} Oh well, as long as I don't do that too often! :D

I'll be pretty busy this week, since I'm having an open house for the home-based business that I run... it's on Saturday, so I'm starting to get a little excited and nervous!

Of course, that's gonna make eating right and exercising a bit more difficult, but I have a plan, so here it is:

Monday ~ Curves
Tuesday ~ Bowling
Wednesday ~ Curves
Thursday ~ Curves
Friday ~ Curves

Notice a trend? ;) I'm putting the extra Curves in on Thursday to help counteract the not-so-great eating that's bound to happen for my OH!

Anyway, hope you all are recovering nicely from your long weekend! Have a great day!

jusdoit
11-26-2001, 03:02 PM
It was so good to have 4 days off AND I exercised every one of those days. YIPPEE! This morning I managed to get out of my nice warm cozy bed and go to the gym to swim at 5:30 a.m. I had a great swim. Sooo, I'm feeling much better than the slug I was last week. That is not to say, however, that I didn't overindulge in food and drink :( :( . But I shall redeem myself this week......

2BFIT1 - thanks for the kind words last week when I was a slug. It so helps to have support ;) . Hope all's well with you.

Marvin - I can just picture you and your dog and your bouncy new perm frolicking in the snow :D . Good luck with your open-house.

Pamela - CONGRATULATIONS on the 33 lbs. That's awesome! :cool:

Dena - By now you're probably running marathons and lifting heavy weights daily :lol: . Seriously, I'm so glad to hear how wonderfully you're progressing. It surely does help to be in good shape when something debilitating happens! You're an excellent role model for rehabilitation :) .

Okay, time to get back to work. Geez, I sure would like to work 3-day weeks all the time :^: .

Take care everyone :cool:

tupo_girl
11-27-2001, 07:13 AM
I did it!!! I got my butt out of bed at 5:15 am and went and shoveled the driveway for 43 minutes!!!!! Woohoo!!!:) That is my winter plan. We have a pretty long driveway and this snow was really wet. I'll be buff in no time, jk. Although, I *do* live in MN!!
In Christ,
Pamela

MarvintheMartian
11-27-2001, 10:37 AM
Pamela! That's a great way to work out!! :lol: Maybe I should be doing that!!! :D

jusdoit.... wow! You are such a go-getter, working out all weekend, and getting to the pool in the morning too! Way to go!

I had a great workout at Curves yesterday, but silly me! I forgot that it's their one year anniversary today (Tuesday) and they've got goodies (healthy of course!) and prizes today! So, I have to go!!! :) I can't resist the lure of freebies!! :lol:

That said, today will be really busy... I've got a couple of deliveries to do, as well as some more invitations for my open house. I also have to fit Curves in, pick up some oil and meet my dh at his work so that he can change the oil in my car and wash it.... then off to grab a quick supper and to bowling! Sigh.... I guess being run off my feet counts as exercise, right???? :smug:

Dena
11-27-2001, 02:10 PM
Hi Guys!

Just reporting in that I got on the treadmill for 1/2 an hour yesterday, walked after lunch for 1/2 an hour and went to physical therapy. The PT thinks I'm improving a lot, since I've been doing the exercises she suggested. We're still taking it slow, but I can do a lot more than a few weeks ago! I can now write with my right hand again, too!!

So far this morning I went for a walk in the neighborhood. I plan to do more walking after lunch.

Marvin, wow!! Your exercise schedule is super!

Pamela, so good to know that you are out there exercising/shoveling snow. And at 5:15 am!!

Jusdoit, swimming at 5:30 am!! You amaze me. I love it. And congrats for getting out there every day during the Thanksgiving weekend!!

Sil, keep up the great work!! I'm so impressed with your cardio/weights workout!!

Morrigan, so glad you're back with us!

We are so hot!
Hugs to all,
Dena

MarvintheMartian
11-28-2001, 10:12 AM
Hey Dena! WTG with the PT! That's great... I don't know what I'd do if I lost the use of my right hand! You are marvelous, and such a trooper! :)

As for me, I didn't make it to Curves yesterday :( I was just too busy! But I did bowl last night, so I don't feel lazy, I just feel :( I missed out on the free stuff! :lol: Oh well....

Today I'm going to Curves right after work, so I'll get that done, and then move on to all the other stuff I have to get done. Let me tell you, hosting an open house is not easy! ;) Hopefully, it'll be worth it!

Anyway, that's enough for now, so I'll talk to you all later!

Keep movin'! :smug:

mals1
11-28-2001, 12:16 PM
Hi!

Can I join in? I just joined a new gym last week (moved to a new city). I am currently doing free weights, weight machines, fit ball and eliptical machines. My goal is to go four to five times a week. Five would be ideal. :) Since I started going again I didn't realize how much I missed it. I went Friday, Saturday, Sunday, Monday. Couldn't go last night and I'm in withdrawal. Whats up with that? Well I'm going tonight. I feel so much better when I go.

Glad to see you all!

Dena
11-29-2001, 06:12 PM
Welcome Anne!

We'd love you to join us! The women here are very supportive and motivational.

Congrats on joining the gym. Yes, I understand completely how you feel about exercise. It's addictive. I miss it when I don't do it, too. I really love to move, and I feel so energized afterward! Exercise is not only beneficial for me physically, but mentally as well.

Marvin, thanks for your words of encouragement. Sounds like you had fun bowling, and that certainly counts as exercise. Just picking up that ball would be major for me these days. LOL Have fun at curves!

Today I got on the treadmill for 30 minutes, walked the neighborhood for another 30 and did my upper arm exercises. I'm feeling better every day!!

Take care, everyone.
Hugs,
Dena

jusdoit
11-29-2001, 06:45 PM
I've only missed one day of exercise since Thanksgiving. However, this morning I felt like I slept through my workout. I did weights and lifecycle at the gym and although I thought I was working pretty hard, I think I was, in reality, a bit lazy. Oh well, tomorrow is a swim day and there's no being lazy while your swimming (unless you stop, of course).

Dena - I must say it again (I think I said it before?) YOU ARE THE QUEEN OF REHAB! It's great to hear about your progress every day! :)

Marvin - Those "curves" of yours are undoubtedly shrinking!

Anne - Welcome and best of luck in your new city and at your new gym. Lot's of fresh new beginnings for you :) . I'm glad you joined us!

Ugh, I must say I'm having one of "those" days when I can't keep my mind off food. Darn! In an effort to try to avoid it, I'm drinking too much coffee....bleh

Gotta go fight with myself :devil: :angel:

Take care guys!

jusdoit
12-03-2001, 05:07 PM
Just thought I'd get the board moving.... I had a busy day Saturday giving my girlfriend a baby shower so I missed a workout. Sunday I tried to make up for it by doing a 1-1/2 hour workout (30 min. bike/30 min. weights/30 min. run) which felt pretty darn good. This morning I was going to go swimming.....but, alas, I didn't :( . Tomorrow is another day :D .

I Hope everyone is happy and healthy ;) .

MarvintheMartian
12-04-2001, 10:47 AM
I'm baaaa-aaack!

I had a pretty successful open house on Saturday ~ good sales, some new customers... so I'm :)

Anyway, not too much damage done diet-wise, although not a lot of exercise.... plus I have a business meeting tonight, and won't have time to get to Curves (which I missed yesterday too, although I did get a short 20 minute aerobic workout in.)

Anyhoo, here's my schedule for the week:
Tuesday ~ nothing :(
Wednesday ~ Curves
Thursday ~ Curves
Friday ~ Curves & Midnight Madness Christmas Shopping! ;)
Saturday ~ Our Staff Christmas Party (dancing!)

Hope you all are doing well! I'll check in later! :smug:

mals1
12-04-2001, 12:09 PM
I have a question for you. When doing weights how much time do you leave in between sets? I do three sets of 12 (working up to sets of 15) but my husband thinks I don't leave enough time in between the sets. I try to rest for about a minute......should it be longer?

Dena
12-04-2001, 06:15 PM
Hi Guys!

Just checking in to say I went on the stationary bike for 53 minutes and walked briskly for 32 minutes. I also did my PT exercises.

Anne, sorry I don't know that answer.

Marvin, you're doing great!

Jusdoit, 1 1/2 hour workout!!! Wow!! That's great!

I'm practically back to my old self! So now I've got to get busy and get things done around here.

Take care, everyone.
Hugs,
Dena

MarvintheMartian
12-05-2001, 10:19 AM
Good morning!

Sorry, Anne, I don't know the answer either..... but a minute sounds ok to me. At Curves we have at least a minute and a half between using the same set of muscles.... HTH!

Dean, you're doing awesome! :) WTG! and keep up the great work!

As for me.... I'm feeling sluggish today as a result of a lack of sleep and about a hundred million things that I have to do! ;) Could we please move Christmas back a week or two? Pretty please? :lol: Somehow, I'll get it all done, I promise!

But, I'm looking forward to Curves today... I've missed it!

Talk to ya later!

jusdoit
12-05-2001, 02:31 PM
I had a very good swim this a.m. - VERY COLD outside, but warm in the water....aaaaahhhhh. Yesterday was weights/bike day and tomorrow is a run day. So, feelin' pretty groovy :cool: .

Marvin - I'm so glad your open house went well :) . Have a great workout at curves today!

Dena - Very happy to hear you're almost back to your "old" self. What a horrible ordeal, but now it's HISTORY :spin: .

Mals - There really isn't one answer to your question. It depends on the type of workout you're doing. I do high reps (20) and rest for about 20 seconds in between. My husband does a program that starts out with a long rest period and gets shorter and shorter each week. There are lots of different theories and programs. So, now that I haven't helped you AT ALL ;) I do know there are lots of good books out there that can help you. One that I use is called "Hot Point Fitness." Another that I've heard great things about is called "Body for Life." Those can give you some good guidelines for creating a weight routine. Good luck :) .

Well, I have to agree with Marvin - I could definitely use an extension on Christmas! Haven't gotten one thing done yet :eek: . Maybe this weekend?????

mals1
12-05-2001, 02:37 PM
No right answers sometimes when it comes to exercise. Thank you! :)

Dena
12-05-2001, 06:48 PM
I just got back from the gym and spent 20 minutes on the bike and 40 on the treadmill. I also did 30 minutes on the bike this morning. Wahhooooo!! And I did my PT arm exercises today.

Justdoit and Marvin, I haven't done anything for Christmas yet either. It's like it's all happening so fast, and I don't even care this year. I hope I get into the spirit soon. Usually I have a tree up by now, but I start thinking there may be spiders or other bugs in them that I don't need. I don't even want to go through the old Christmas stuff, because they say black widows hide in storage areas. Sheesh, am I paranoid or what?!

Well, one day at a time. I'm going to try to do some Christmasy stuff this weekend, and I have a party to go to in a couple of weeks. That should help me get into the spirit. HO HO HO
Hugs to all,
Dena

Dena
12-06-2001, 06:45 PM
Just came back from the gym, where I spent 20 minutes on the stationary bike and 30 minutes on the treadmill. I also went to PT today.

Hope everyone is having a great day.
Hugs,
Dena

tupo_girl
12-07-2001, 07:29 AM
Well I've been sort of good on excercise this week, just not on food! I think I'm PMSing so all I want is salt, blech! I really should get off my tush and go do a video since my friend is coming over today. God bless.
In Christ,
Pamela

MarvintheMartian
12-07-2001, 01:48 PM
I know just what you mean, Pamela! PMS sucks, doesn't it? :lol: Oh well, it's just temporary!

Dena, I'd be just as paranoid as you are! Try not to worry too much! Keep up the good work!

As for me, I skipped Curves last night... I was really bloated and yucky, and my muscles were sore from Wednesday.... I really worked hard that day! But, I am definitely going tonight, and will be walking around downtown doing my midnight madness shopping, so today will be good! Plus, tomorrow is our Christmas party, so even though I'll eat too much, I'll dance it all off! :D

Talk to you all later!

mals1
12-07-2001, 03:49 PM
Well, didn't get to the gym last night or today. But I will do the fit ball tonight and will be going to the gym tomorrow and Sunday. Right now I feel a little yucky and I know its because I have not kept up with the water yesterday and today. I bought a 1/2 gallon jug with a water spout to carry at the gym. Boy is that a lifesaver......mmmmmmm lifesavers. Dang it. :)