Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 03-26-2007, 10:13 PM   #1  
banned

S/C/G: Countdown to goal!

Height: 5'7"

Default "The Last 10 Lbs Bootcamp" TV show is DRIVING ME NUTS!

Up here in Canada, we have a program out of British Columbia called "The Last 10 Pounds" where people who want to lose those last 10 pounds go through a severe diet and exercise regime to get the weight off. The WORST part of it is that they show a computer-generated image of what COULD happen to these poor people if they gain weight. The PROBLEM is that the photo of the WORST CASE SCENARIO is BETTER and at a lower weight that I am right now. The people are usually HORRIFIED at "what might happen" and BABY it has ALREADY happened to ME. I get frustrated, irritated and annoyed because I think that my case is absolutely horrible, especially when my aspirations is to look as good as their "worst case scenario".
Anyone else with a point of view on this show????
freiamaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 10:43 PM   #2  
Starting Fresh

Height: 5'2"

I live in BC and never even heard of it?
sotypical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 08:47 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 152/140/130

Height: 5'5"

Haven't seen the show, but it sounds like boot camp for eating-disorders-in-training. Losing weight "boot camp" style is often not sustainable - few people want to continue with that regime once boot camp is over. I say, take the show for what it is (insensitive and sensationalist), and refuse to watch it.
Janie Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 01:59 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 273/260.1/163

It's on tonight!!! I am planning to watch it and see whats up with it. I missed it last week unfortunately, so I don't know what it's like yet. I shall comment tomorrow! Oh and btw, it's on "slice" channel, aka the old life network.

-Aimee
SwimGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 05:58 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 130/130/125

Height: 5' 8"

wow. That sounds incredibly psychologically terrorizing.
Those people in bootcamp are never going to keep the weight off if they're just keeping it off to prevent "Looking like THAT".
kelema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 06:22 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 140/137/125

Height: 5'2.5"

I haven't seen it. I saw commercials for it then forgot about it.
canadian mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 09:02 PM   #7  
I restore Teeth.

actually, there's a gym near by me that capitalizes on the idea- they have a terribly intimidating muscular man scream at you while you exercise. They insult you and make you cry away the pounds.
veggielover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 10:42 PM   #8  

Negative reinforcement can be very powerful in the short run. But in the long run, people find ways to avoid it.

This show sounds pretty dumb. There are many, many people way past the OP's high weight. It's not like having leprosy. This show sounds like it caters towards very shallow people. I wouldn't waste any of my reality worrying about living up to its standards.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 11:20 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 273/260.1/163

I watched it today, it was alright, nothing to write home about.

I'm not sure if it was just the episode I watched today, I didn't witness the guy yelling at the girl they featured? Anyways, I think it's got good parts. Like, they REALLY make you workout, and have a healthy, well balanced diet. Obviously they can't show much seeing as it's a 30 minute show, and the part where they showed the "worst case", it's just not realistic. I bet if they did the same thing to me, showing me at the weight I am now, and then add the weight to that picture, and then compared it to a before picture it wouldn't be accurate at all.

It's REALLY important to remember this is their last 10 pounds, the girl today definitely looked better than I do now.. but hopefully I can get Tommy's help when I am trying to lose the last 10 pounds!

-Aimee
SwimGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 06:27 PM   #10  

Exclamation well i don't want to Drive you NUTS!

Ladies what we do on the last 10 pounds is to help people looking to get rid of the last ten pounds but the video of what they will look like is to show what will happen if they do not change what they are doing. Now in your case you said you are not at the last 10 YET!! Well i think this Blog is a good start it shows that you want to make a change.Mind state is the biggest part of wightloss so till your ready for the last 10 here are some of the rules i stick by

Rules To Stick By:

1.Cut down on sugar and starches. NO!! white rice, lattes, chocolate, candy bars or white bread.

2.Increase H2O daily intake, aim for 2Ltrs a day.

3.Eat smaller meals every 2-3 hrs. Each meal should be a balance of carbs and proteins and approx palm size.

4.Try not to eat after 8-9 pm.

5.Cut down on visible fats e.g. butter, mayo, fries, cream based dressings, soups, high fat cheese and whole milk.

6.Keep things simple, to avoid making the process too complicated. Get into the habit of staying with low maintenance meals that take little thought. If you stray from the path, try to do it at the weekends as a reward for being good through the week. DONT ABUSE IT!! A whole pizza will put you back one week!!

7.After work out you must eat within a 60min window to refuel your body with nutrients. A healthy combination of carbs and proteins i.e. chicken and brown rice, half wheat bagel peanut butter.

8.Burn more calories than you consume! The basic rule of weight management is: the calories from all the foods and liquids combined, you must burn off at least that amount of calories or the body will store excess as fat. This includes the amount of calories the body needs to function on a day to day basis( 1500 cal approx). Your body requires this minimum amount to perform minimal tasks and therefore requires more fuel when physical activity is introduced. Calories are the body’s fuel!!

9.Metabolism-chemical reaction in the body producing energy ( energy burns fat). Learning to regulate your metabolism is key to effective weight management. Eating 5-6 small meals a day will keep your metabolism at a steady rate, and allow the body to burn more fat.(it takes energy to digest food).Cardio and weight training are both excellent for stabilizing metabolism.

10.Eat largest meal at Lunch.

11.Never be hungry, but never be full
Tommy Europe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 06:55 PM   #11  

P.S Just For The Record i Love what I do and Whether your goal is permanent weight loss, muscle toning, strength building or enhanced physical performance, we will design a program tailored to your personal needs and help you quickly meet your fitness goals. This is done achieved by incorporating programs addressing the physical, mental, emotional and spiritual elements of a fitness program. There is the saying “work smarter, not harder” and we believe that through proper guidance and encouragement, you can be more effective and efficient in your training. So make that choice and find the time to take care of yourself. Programs are tailored to your needs while providing you with the knowledge and resources you require to reach your goals.our main goal is to educate and motivate
Tommy Europe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 07:43 PM   #12  
sugar is the devil

I actually quite enjoy the show as it shows me healthy ways to eat and different kinds of exercise/weights I can do. I do see your point on the "what you will look like if you continue your habits". A few episodes, I have seen a few girls cry. But mostly, they cry because they HAVE been there and like everyone else here, they do not want to go back. I guess for them it's their reality check? I can see if their "worst" photo is your "best" photo but everyone is at different stages of their weight loss. I wouldn't take it to heart because you are doing this for YOU and it's YOUR best! There have been a couple of shows that I have seen a few participants who are fairly overweight. Right now, their "worst" photos is my "best" photos but it just gives me extra motivation to keep on going so I can get away from that point!

And Tommy (if that is really you...), I'm a fan! Thanks for the tips, but I believe that you need to come up to Kelowna so you can work out with me!!!

Last edited by SweetScrumptious; 03-29-2009 at 07:45 PM.
SweetScrumptious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 07:45 PM   #13  
So close to onederland...

S/C/G: 271/ticker/160

Height: 5'-8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by veggielover View Post
actually, there's a gym near by me that capitalizes on the idea- they have a terribly intimidating muscular man scream at you while you exercise. They insult you and make you cry away the pounds.
Holy... haha mental image. Can't imagine that working. Maybe loose some water weight.
sprklemajik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 07:52 PM   #14  

I just want to echo all of Scrumptious' comments. I completely agree. I also find that this show is probably the least sensationalist weight show I have seen. Natalie Boman promotes healthy well rounded meals and Tommy promotes intense and tough workouts for weight loss. I think all of their recommendations are maintainable if the effort is put is in. Still, I understand why it would be upsetting to see the "what if" photos if you are not even at that point yet. I have felt the same way but at the same time, you will get there and as scrumptious said, we are all at different points in our weight loss journey. I dont think that it is wrong though to use the photos as motivation. Although health is definitely a motivating factor for me so is my physical appearance and maybe the reality check is what some people need. Different strokes for different strokes though. Good luch on your weight loss
twinkletoes23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 08:19 PM   #15  
Caroline

Height: 5'0"

I've seen people on this very forum lamenting how heavy they are when their high weight is far below mine. Sure, it makes me feel lousy, but I have to remind myself that that's *their* reality and their current weight *is* really shocking to them.

So for the people this show is geared toward, the 'what if' scenario they come up with probably *is* that shocking. Yes, it sucks for those of us who started way beyond that 'worst case', but for the people on the show, it's a whole different reality. I work out with my sister, and she's maybe 140 and thinks she's a blimp. Do I want to kick her in the shins sometimes? Absolutely! But that doesn't mean she's not genuinely feeling uncomfortable with her body, because she used to be a size 2, you know?
thistoo is offline   Reply With Quote