LA Weight Loss - Not looking for a diet..but a .....

silverose1209
03-26-2007, 04:55 PM
Change of lifestyle..I want to undnerstand nutrition. What are good foods to have as my everyday diet....KWIM?
Like I know whole grains and fruits and veggies are good...I need to understand how to put it all together to get the best nutrition available.
Anyone know?
Amy

slenderapproach
03-26-2007, 04:56 PM
i'm not a diet expert,
however i see you've mentioned whole grains, veggies....
so i wanted to share that i've been reading up on the Glycemic Index
which follows along those lines of eating.

You may want to search this topic.

jillybean720
03-26-2007, 05:26 PM
I would suggest checking out the Whole Foods section of the forum. A diet composed primarily of whole grains, fruits, veggies, lean meats, and lean dairy is about the healthiest thing I can think of. As far as how much of what you should have each day, that varies greatly. Some people try to eat a lot of protein because they do a lot of strength training, and you need protein to build muscle. Some people try to have more carbs (healthy ones from whole grains, fruits, veggies, etc.) for evergy for cardio. Some people don't worry about the balance of this or that and just try to eat healthy foods. Some people increase fiber and protein simply because those are the foods that tend to keep you feeling fuller for longer so you don't get hungry as often throughout the day. It all depends on your personal goals, but in any variation, a whole foods diet is generally a very healthy one :)

djamazon
03-30-2007, 09:07 AM
I have been reading the book VOlumetrics. It's not really a diet but gives basic principles of understanding how the body metabolizes the different components of food and how to use water and fiber in your diet to feel full for longer periods of time. It is written so it is easy to understand and to implement into your life.
I would recommend this book to anyone. I am halfway through it and just with the changes I have made in the last week I have lost 4 lbs without starving myself. I am eating the normal things I always cook, I am just adjusting the recipes a little.

Good luck to you in all you do.
:)

Glory87
03-30-2007, 10:25 AM
Change of lifestyle..I want to undnerstand nutrition. What are good foods to have as my everyday diet....KWIM?
Like I know whole grains and fruits and veggies are good...I need to understand how to put it all together to get the best nutrition available.
Anyone know?
Amy

The revised food pyramid is a good start! http://www.mypyramid.gov/