Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Closed Thread

Old 11-06-2001, 09:15 PM   #1  
burned out bus driver

Default Stay At Home Mom's #19

Stay At Home Mom's #19
Welcome all newcomers and friends! This is a thread full of laughter, friendship and encouragement, as we share our lives and the ups & downs of raising a family. Feel free to join us. We look forward to getting to know each other better.
Be sure to go back to SAHM's #18 to catch up with the latest on what has been going on in everyone's lives during the past week or so.
Ginny
Old 11-06-2001, 09:32 PM   #2  
burned out bus driver

Well, lookie there! I actually mastered the color printing thing! Nuff of that. Please go back to thread #18 to read about our newest friend Melody (and also Chrissy and Holly!). Melody left a post at the tail end of thread #18. I feel kind of bad starting a new thread on someone so soon, but the two page thing becomes a bit of a pain to manage,so, I went and started a new thread.
Today was not the best of days. Dd had a bunch of friends over after school- well they are nice kids- all well behaved,in most cases the parents are nicely involved with their kids etc.... I just have to sit down with her and explain that she has to restrict this kind of thing to weekends- when I am not such a burn out. I got no backing from Dh- who basically was even more tired than I was/am and just stuck his head in the sand. And well, everyone knows that I am a stress eater....................... Tomorrow is another day! And as soon as I finish this post, I am off for a walk. Sorry for being such a crab - two nights in a row, but I am kind of losing it here. (aren't you glad that all that PMS stuff is over for me for this month! Can you imagine what a crab I would be then! )
I went in for my day of work today- so I am frazzled by that too.
This has been one of those days that I think my family would rather just have a maid/cook who would just appear to work and disappear at the end of the day. Oh well, we all have days like that, and tomorrow will be better!!!!!
Tomorrow I am planning a much more sane day- I have even entertained the idea of just doing something I want while until Ds gets home from school, as opposed to the constant housework thing. (It has been a long time since I have done that!) And somehow I will get that walk in!
I hope that everyone has had a good day (and that the resident crab here has not chased all of you away!) See ya tomorrow!
Ginny
Old 11-06-2001, 09:52 PM   #3  
Domestic Goddess

Well, it's late. Okay, not so late for most, but for me, 9:50 is WAY late and I'm battling a headache. I just wanted to check in and say to Melody! Welcome!

I also wanted to tell you . . . when I weighed in yesterday, I showed no loss--wasn't too surprised since I was really battling the stress-eating. But I did well enough that I thought I might lose today, especially after a 100% OP day yesterday. Got on the scale this morning to a 2# loss! Those were the only 2# I regained after ediets, so I am ready to enter new territory! BTW, I'm not stepping on the scale again until next Monday, just in case it was just a fluke!

I'm off to bed!

Last edited by Kerrie; 11-06-2001 at 09:54 PM.
Old 11-06-2001, 09:58 PM   #4  
burned out bus driver

I just thought I would check in before I shut down. Congrats on the 2# loss, Kerrie! Hope that you get rid of the headache and get lots of rest. Have a good nite.
Ginny
Old 11-07-2001, 08:51 PM   #5  
burned out bus driver

Hi!
The thread has gotten quiet again. Hope that everyone is ok.
Today has been another kooky day- lots of running around, doctors appointments, etc.... irritable kids, tired Dh etc... (and I thought that I would get the day off! )
On a much better note, I did get a nice walk in this am, and am actually planning on going out again in an hour. I ate a bit too much today- had some emotional upsets, and between that and my emotional fatigue, well, I over did it a bit. Not catastrophic, and I should be able to burn it off with a walk.
One thing that I did succeed with was making a dinner that everyone can eat. I have a few Healthy Exchange cookbooks that have all the dietetic information for each recipe- so knowing that and using my handy points finder, I can actually eat sort of normally. Used two recipes -one for dessert and one for dinner- Dh was unable to tell that they were "diet". (He did mention that he preferred the stuff a different way- but he did go back for seconds on the dessert- a nice low fat apple pie). So that was good for me!
I still have a bit of water to down- but I should have no trouble doing that.
Mind if I vent a bit? (seems as though I am doing that a lot these days.........forgive me).
I got upset with Dd (the 5, soon to be 6 year old) as I am watching her mature- and start to assert herself, and not in the most pleasant of all manners. Unfortunately, I am seeing my oldest Dd repeat thru the younger one in some respects. Parenting a teenager is not the most rewarding experience of my life- and I just wish that I could keep my younger daughter as she is. It hurts that I am losing her, just to the process of maturation and will ultimately have to go thru this thing all over with her. (oldest Dd was pure torture to live with between 11 and 13- and there are still some really bad days) I know some people who really relate better to their kids when they are beyond the "little years" and I guess I am just not one of them.
Well, life is changes- constant changes- and adapt I will.
Thanks for letting me vent- I hope that it will help me get back in full swing about being OP.
Hope you all have a great nite. Drink that water!
Take care,
Ginny
Old 11-08-2001, 07:54 AM   #6  

Good Morning Ladies.

Well, yesterday was a great day for everything but food. The boys and I went to the park and grocery shopping (always a barrell of fun) and did a bunch of errands in town, which meant having lunch out.....McDonalds - terrible choice. So much for yesterday.

Today is a new day and the refridgerator is packed with healthy foods so wise choices shouldn't be that difficult today (plus we're not leaving the house! )

When I started this journey I was using the Diet Watch site to record all of my food intake and exercise and stuff. I REALLY think that helped me - to see it in black and white. I'm going to start back with doing that today. It seems to keep me honest. When I hit that feeling good, cocky stage I just stopped doing it - BIG MISTAKE!!! Live and learn I guess.

Ginny - I'm not even looking forward to those teenage years! I'm already having trouble understanding a 7-year old! We we're so close when he was littler, then his brother was born and he had to become a little more independent (and didn't like it) and now it seems that Mom knows nothing and he knows everything. He's so argumentative. Hang in there!

Kerrie - WOO HOO on those two pounds!

Do you guys usually only post once a day or every other day - just whenever you can get on? I used to post on a board that was very active (the first year I started this journey) and it was great. But, it seemed as people came and went that it became a group that I didn't have anything in common with anymore - except the weight issue - which just didn't seem to be enough. The women all worked and the SAHM thing just didn't fit in. It is nice to chat with people in the same situation who may understand a "bad day" at home with the kids. Just rambling I guess - sorry.

So, today's plan - WATER (which has been nonexistant lately), Smoothie for breakfast (YUM), Salad and soup for lunch, decent dinner (not sure what yet). Have a Great Day Ladies.

Happy Fruiting!

Melody
Old 11-08-2001, 09:11 AM   #7  
burned out bus driver

Good Morning!
Hi there Melody! No, I am not obsessed with this thread, but I find that I do better if I post here, vent when necessary, and leave some accountability as to how I am doing with eating , excercise and all that stuff. So, to answer your question- I try to post daily, but there are times when I cannot. As for the norm- we all post when we can, for some it is daily, for some it is once a week. You do what is comfortable for you and works with the busy lifestyle of being a SAHM. I absolutely agree with you about using some sort of method to keep track of what you eat.
I use a Weight Watchers log- and for the added punch of public humiliation I will most of the time leave my food intake here.

As for your McDonalds meal- well- you might do well to pick up the Weight Watchers eating out guide- it has alll the info on all the fast food places. Mickey D's is not too bad- if you eat a plain hamburger and diet soda, or one of their salads you are doing fine! Just stay away from the fries! (I bought my WW stuff on ebay, so you do not have to belong to WW to own their materials)

As for me today, I walked this am at 5:30 for 30 min, have had 3 glasses of water, 2 cups of tea and a bowl of farina. Lunch will probably be a WW frozen ravioli entre. Dinner, for me will be leftover dinner from last nite- I liked it and I know it is only 5 points.

Gotta go- Dd has pictures today at school and I want to be there to clean up her hair. I am also going to get a few minutes of Thursday am Bible study in there, b4 the washing machine repair guy gets here!!!!!!!!!
Enjoy your day!
Ginny
Old 11-08-2001, 01:04 PM   #8  

Hi Ladies.

Well, my entire plan for the day has hit the crapper! So much for well laid plans. I didn't get to the smoothie yet, for breakfast I had oatmeal instead because I was REALLY hungry. I didn't get the soup going for lunch because I spent too long chatting with my Mom on ICQ, so I had a tomato sandwich and an apple for lunch instead, and I just went to Diet Watch to log my food in and they are now a subscriber only site! So, now what?!?! Okay, I'll have the smoothie for a snack and I'm still working on the water (down about 32 oz so far). Dinner will be the salad and a small piece of whatever meat jumps at me from the freezer once I decide to start dinner for the family. So, just move with the punches right? No pop for me today either. That is a MAJOR accomplishment. I CAN DO IT!

Ginny - Great job getting that walk in so early this morning. I like to do my workouts early like that too. I feel like I'm ready to face the day that way. Don't you just love waiting around for repair men? Well......sometime between 9 and 4..... HEE What is farina?

Happy Fruiting Ladies,

Melody
Old 11-09-2001, 07:30 AM   #9  

Good Morning Ladies

Another day facing us to make wise choices. Yesterday ended with spaghetti for dinner and I finished off my water. So, all in all a good day. I REALLY wanted a soda last night....but I didn't. I just drank my water and told myself it was yummy!

Well, I have to take the dog to get his nails clipped in a bit so I guess I better get around.

Happy Fruiting!

Melody
Old 11-09-2001, 11:35 AM   #10  
Domestic Goddess

Hi, ladies. Where does the time go? Seems like it was just yesterday that I posted but I see it's been a few.

Today my 6 yr. old is turning 7 and my baby is 1!!! I can tell by my current mood that today might be a challenge, food-wise. I'm in that "too tired to care" kind of mood. Need to watch myself today!

I'm nursing the babe so won't try to type more--I'll try again later so I can respond to everyone.
Old 11-09-2001, 12:38 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 242/199/160

Height: 5' 5"

Exclamation

COULD IT BE FRIDAY ALREADY?

It can't be, can it? I feel the same way as Kerrie-Where does the time go? I've been so busy that I'm actually forgetting to eat! On Tuesday I didn't realize that I didn't have breakfast or lunch until it was 4:00 in the aft. & DS was getting off the bus. If it wouldn't have been for feeling dizzy, I wouldn't have noticed then either! Tonight both of the kids are having a friend over for a sleep-over. I guess I'll stay busy again today as I have to tiddy up their rooms before their company arrives. They really don't look that bad, but perfectionism has set in & I'll probably go thru their closets & dresser drawers again. Don't get me wrong.....there are quite a few articles laying on the floor, on dressers, desks & the beds need to be made, but nothing like a few months ago. Melody: Welcome to our board. I don't think that I welcomed you yet, did I?
I've been doing a lot of lurking here, but not posting. This is why I'm not sure if I welcomed you or not. Kerrie: A very Happy Birthday to your 7 y/o! I know how party planning goes & the naughty foods that go along with them, Good Luck! Ginny: I'm happy that you have been posting on a regular basis lately. I know indeed it does keep you more accountable. By your postings, it sounds like you will be in the lead for our Nov. weight loss challenge. And for the family problems, HANG IN THERE! Do you have Target Dept. Stores in your area? They just came out with a shopping catalog & the artilce sounded so much like your oldest DD. If I can get my scanner to work, I'll scan the article & e-mail it to you. You will get a laugh out of it if you haven't seen it before. If I can't get it e-mailed, I'll have to get your address from you & put it in the USPS mail. In regards to what to do to get the family members to help pitch in on the housework, or just pick up after themselves....I'll let you in on a little secret. Since I've been following the Fly Lady routines; my house is starting to come together & is staying quite orderly. (At least the main level) I'm finding myself not nagging anyone to do things anymore. I guess reverse psychology works a little bit better. I've been busting my butt around the house for almost 2 months now & I'll brag about how the Fly Lady is helping me. My DH especially likes when I mention that I have to check the Hot Spots. (His mind is in the gutter on this one! ) I've noticed that He is starting to keep the bathroom neater & picking up his clothes next to the bed & also has been helping me clear the table & even will surprise me by cleaning the kitchen before I have a chance! I almost fell over with a heart attack the first time he did this. This is the most he has done in the 17 years that we've been married! I guess seeing the rest of the house in order gives him the incentive to help out. He doesn't have to look at the BIG PICTURE anymore & small messes don't seem as hard to clean up. Sorry for my rambling on this subject, but I'm so relieved that my house isn't total CHAOS anymore. Well, speaking of DH-He just walked in the door & needs the 'puter again! Have a Great Weekend, everyone. I will address the rest of you later when I get a chance to get on the computer again. Until later, TTFN! Bye, Bye!

**Jackie**

Last edited by Freckles; 11-09-2001 at 12:45 PM.
Old 11-09-2001, 01:25 PM   #12  

Good Afternoon Ladies

Well, it's been a good day for food choices and I'm half way through my water so it's looking good around here.

Kerrie - Happy Birthday to your 7-year-old. My son just turned seven last Monday the 5th!

Freckles - What is the Fly Lady routine?

Ginny - Busy day for you today? How did the pictures go for DD?

Enjoy your day ladies.
Melody
Old 11-09-2001, 03:40 PM   #13  
burned out bus driver

Hi there!!!!!!!!!
No, I did not go away on a one woman vacation!!! (sometimes wish that I did though.......)
Great to see the thread busy. I enjoy hearing from everyone.

Kerrie- Happy 7th birthday to your son! Hopefully your initial feelings about your eating are wrong- and that you make some wise food choices. All of us here know how that is-isn't it funny (well, not really funny, just odd) how you can feel one of those I don't care what I eat days coming on? I hope you were able to rescue yourself! If not, there is always tomorrow!

Melody- glad to hear that you have been faring well in food land.
Drink that water!!!!!! (along with the 99 trips to the potty! )
Farina is basically cream of wheat- a hot cereal. And the great news for me is that it is only 2 points when prepared with water and nutrasweet. I love it- ok it has no fiber or very little- but for me it is a comfort food, and has no fat. During the cooler months I will alternate having that with oatmeal for breakfast, which fortunately I enjoy too! (fortunately, because I am still preparing eggs, toast, pancakes, french toast, waffles etc for the rest of the gang! And for me it is important to start the day out using only a few points- so that when my usual munchie time of day hits, I have some points left to use). Good job salvaging your eating yesterday too- despite a lot of changes.

Jackie- Gee, can I come visit!? Maybe your forgetting to eat will rub off on me!!!!! You should be soooooo proud of yourself- mastering getting your house straightened up! Congrats!! I know what you mean about when the house is kept well, others seem a bit more interested in helping. (wish a bit more of that rubbed off here too!) It is great that Dh is noticing too! Ah, the joys of domestic tranqulity. It is so nice when your Dh notices all the effort you put into your home. I would love it if you sent me the article from Target. We have one up here - but I have not seen the catalog. The store just opened though. I tried to email you an article I got from the ediets site on 19 ways to jump start your diet- I thought it was well written and although there was not much new, it is helpful to read that stuff from time to time. Of course, I made a boo-boo typing your email addy!!!!!
. (You knew I was half nuts anyway......) I will not have the time to resend it now,but will do so later. If anyone else is interested in the article, send me a personal message with your email addy, and I will foward it to you too!

Well, I have babbled enough for now. Both today and yesterday, my eating has been pretty good. I made a mistake and got on the scale this am- and gained a pound!!!!!!!!! Now where did that come from!!!!!!!!! So, I got good and angry- cut my breakfast down to a stewed apple (just a cut up apple, cinnamon and nutrasweet -hot and yummy) added another 5 minutes to my walk, and had a sensible lunch. Grilled chicken and salad for dinner. And or course some tea. I am not upset about the pound- angry yes, but not discouraged. It's coming off!!!!
Gotta go- Ds came home from school. Report card day!!!

Have a great weekend!
Ginny
Old 11-12-2001, 03:47 PM   #14  
burned out bus driver

Hi there!!!!
Well, it sure looks as though everyone is busy- this has been so quiet. I am going to cut this short- because I have a house full of kiddies here and you know what that means!!
I mananged to get back on the scale and lost 2 1/2 pounds (that one pound gain must have been some sort of bleep- and I made the big mistake of not weighing myself at the same time as I usually do! Silly of me!) So - to be more clear, I lost 1 1/2 pounds (the 2 1/2 was including the 1 # "gain").
Pfew!!!!!!
Today has been one of those days that sort of exploded in my face. Not much has gone right. My eating has not been all that great- but I can still finish ok if I have a good dinner. Veggie burger and salad, here I come! I did get a walk in this morning- with Dd (the 5 year old!). So, who knows how many calories I burned. We stopped to pick up an interesting stick........ a cool leaf............ aw well, you know! Actually, our pace was not all that bad, but not my usual. I will try to get out tonite and walk the development, which is a mile from one end to the other, at a decent pace. Gotta burn off some calories and some stress!!
I hope that everyone is ok- and not directly affected by this latest disaster in NY.
Take care,
Ginny
Old 11-13-2001, 09:58 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 242/199/160

Height: 5' 5"

Good Evening, Everyone!

Hmmn.........I'm not sure if I want to post much of anything. I left a long one yesterday morning & it still didn't show up. Where in Cyberspace tarnation did it go? Ginny: I'm glad that you're okay. I was a little worried about you. I know you don't live in Queens, but I'm sure it was enough scare for you too! I watched a few hours of it in the a.m. & then I was getting severely depressed & put on HGTV & the Discovery Channel. I also put the radio on for awhile & got news updates on the crash. My prediction was off by 1 day. I predicted another plane to crash on Veteran's Day-November 11th. Exactly 2 mos. after the day of Terror. I figured we still had at least one sick individual out there. I still don't buy the mechanical error thing. Who knows.....maybe it was an inside job by one of the airport workers who is posing as just a plain old employee. It's pretty scary-you don't know who to trust now days. Well, my food consumption went pretty well until I found out that there is 4.5 grams of fat in a serving of Kettle Popped Pop Corn. I must have had at least 30-40 grams of fat in all the servings I consumed. I thought I made a good choice, NOT!! I'm a little behind on my water too. I guess I better kick it in the bud tomorrow. Melody, Yoopermom:- Hello & Welcome again! I keep giving you my welcome salutations & somehow my posts won't take, so I hope that tonight is my lucky shot! You may find out about the flylady by going to this website: WWW.Flylady.net Have Fun visiting her site! Well, it's time to put the kiddies to bed. Good Night, everyone!~
**Jackie**
Closed Thread