General chatter - Bitter Laundry Rant

View Full Version : Bitter Laundry Rant

mandalinn82
03-21-2007, 02:25 PM
Dear lovely person with their clothes sitting in the washers in the laundry room for the past two hours:

Right now, as you are no doubt aware, there are only 2 working washers in this laundry room. Until the broken washers are replaced this weekend, we will have to live with this situation.

As such, I'm wondering why on earth you think it is OK to put your clothes in both of the washers, run them, and then disappear for 2 hours, tying up the only washing machines available to half of the complex indefinitely. This is barely acceptable under normal circumstances, when there are plenty of washers to go around. It is absolutely rude and reprehensible to do this when you are using all of the available washers.

Normally, I'd just move your clothes to the top of the counter and put my clothes in. The last time I did this, however, after 2 hours of waiting for the person to return and remove their clothes, the clothes i put into the washer got bleach poured on them, so I'm not doing that again. Instead, I'm spending my afternoon setting my kitchen timer for each 5 minutes so I can get one of the washers. I, however, will set a timer for the exact length of the wash cycle, because I am (unlike you, apparently) aware that people live in the world OTHER than me.

Love,

Your incredibly bitter neighbor.

I need my gym clothes washed! They are rank!

RidiculouslyAddicted
03-21-2007, 03:08 PM
GRRRRR!!!
I feel your pain. Someone poured BLEACH on your clothes? OMG, I would be furious.

We share our washer and dryer with the two people upstairs. One of these two people does laundry 5-6 times a week. More than one load at a time. One to two items of clothing each time. Makes us doing laundry rather difficult. We have a hard time figuring out how he dirties so many clothes when all he does is sit on the computer all day. Oh, and we have to share water and gas bills with them, so his wasting water and gas for doing laundry does NOT make me happy AT ALL. Plus he hangs his clothes to dry on the line (goes through the laundry room) in such a fashion that I have to move them or go through them somehow in order to get to the washer and dryer, when there are clearly other places to hang them. Plus he refuses to share responsibility for keeping the dang room clean. GRRRR!!!

Wow. I've needed to get that off my chest for a while. Sorry to hijack... back to your rant...

sapphire9
03-21-2007, 03:08 PM
The people that leave them in the washer long after they're done are the same ones that come in just before your clothes are finished washing and throw theirs in the dryers for an hour! I live in an apt. bldg with 36 units and only 3 washers and dryers. I find if I do the laundry Friday nites (date nites) I am most likely to get my laundry done promptly. My dream - to have my own washer and dryer.

NotTheCheat
03-21-2007, 03:38 PM
I currently have a washer and dryer where I live and it is heaven. It is actually the thing I am dreading losing the most when I have to move in a couple of months.

Doing laundry is always a complete pain, but having to put up with stuff like that is downright criminal. I can't believe someone poured bleach on your clothes.

mandalinn82
03-21-2007, 03:45 PM
It was once, a few years ago. The girl didn't like that I had pulled her clothes out, apparently. So ridiculous. Luckily, it was a load of towels, so it wasn't a huge loss. But still incredibly irritating.

EZMONEY
03-21-2007, 04:19 PM
OOPS! Amanda, this reminds me of when I was 18...sooo long ago! I moved into a tri-plex after high school. I was on an end unit and a couple of guys that worked for my dad were on the other end unit. In the middle was a divorced mom with a couple of young boys, she was a very good friend of ours. Anyway, all I had to do was load the washer with my clothes, turn it on and leave...when I came home from work or play all my clothes would be folded and in my basket. The mom would ALWAYS need the washer and dryer! Of course I always left quarters on the counter for her to use...I had a key to the washer and dryer...my dad and I owned the tri-plex ;)

alinnell
03-21-2007, 04:45 PM
I hope you print that post and put it up in your laundry room! How rude!

mandalinn82
03-21-2007, 04:51 PM
Sometimes I hate my financial responsibleness - I could afford to rent a house with a washer/dryer right now, but want to save money to buy a home, and just for my future in general, so I'm staying in a smaller apartment with no washer/dryer, no dishwasher, etc because the rent is fairly low. Sometimes I wish I could be more irresponsible...I'd have my own washer/dryer!

Laundry is done now...it only took her 3 hours to move her stuff.

lizziness
03-21-2007, 11:40 PM
that is so rude. and yet, somehow does not surprise me in the slightest. i had a room mate who always decided any time i was doing laundry, that she had to do it at that exact same time, and would always toss my stuff to the side. Ugh, used to piss me off so much!

The apt we live in now has washers and dryers in the units, but I do still have to share it with my brother in law and my hubby. A month or so ago I ran an experiment to just see what would happen... he always leaves his clothes to rot in the washer and dryer and every time he uses the dryer he pulls the fuzz out of the fuzz catcher thinger and tosses it on top of the dryer. There is a garbage can in the laundry room! So I put that garbage can on top of the dryer and left it there for three weeks, and every week I still had fuzz sitting on top of the dryer, right next to the can. UGH!

brandnewme
03-22-2007, 01:04 AM
Our dryer broke down a few months ago. Actually, a belt broke and hubby tried to fix it, which in turn caused it to start on fire the next time I used it. So, we've been doing laundry in the laundromat not too far from here. Every week, there's this lady who comes in, goes to the same five machines, and heaven forbid if someone has their stuff in there. She throws a FIT! I've seen her throw peoples' clothes away, though she's rarely that drastic.

Hopefully next time your neighbor won't be so inconsiderate next time. Fat chance, but there's always hope, right?

sweet_talker
03-22-2007, 03:20 AM
Bleach!??! Ughhhh...The nerve of some people.

moniray
03-22-2007, 03:56 AM
I know exactly how you feel. I live in an apt where we get ONE washer and dryer to share between 12 units. That wouldn't normally be so bad except that at least three of them have families of at least four people. So the only time I ever get to do my laundry is at about 3 am on my nights off (I work midnights). Fortunately the laundry room is right next to my apt so only I am bugged by the noise through the wall.

tikanique
03-22-2007, 07:47 AM
I am positively ANAL about laundry. Right now I have a washer and dryer in my home but when I was in an apartment, I would go to the laundry room with a book and a CD player because I didn't trust the other people to not screw around with my stuff. If someone left their stuff in the washer more than 10 minutes, I took it out and put it in a plastic bag for them. Same thing with the dryer. I had a fellow resident get mad at me for taking her stuff out. I pointed out to her that she had been gone so long that I'd washed two loads and had them both in the dryer. She didn't like that she had to wait for me to finish before she could put her stuff in the dryer but oh well, if I can stay with my laundry then she can stay with hers.

Tiki

mandalinn82
03-22-2007, 11:54 AM
I am maniacal about timers...I set a timer for EXACTLY when my laundry will be done and head DIRECTLY over, full stop. I just don't understand leaving your crap for that long!

Unfortunately, I don't have time to babysit the laundry. Hopefully the washers/dryers will get fixed on schedule and we'll be ok by this weekend.

alinnell
03-22-2007, 11:57 AM
mandalinn~maybe you'll get surprised and someone will give you a washer and dryer to you for a wedding gift!!! Do you have room for one in your apartment?

mandalinn82
03-22-2007, 12:04 PM
No. Again, the financial responsibility things - we are staying in a fairly bare-bones apartment (although we do have some nice touches in it that make it feel homey) so we can save mucho dinero on rent and actually BUY something in 1-2 years...no small feat in CA. But the apartment is tiny - kitchen w/ little dining area off to the side, living room, tiny bathroom, two bedrooms. No spare space to be found anywhere. And no dishwasher...or as Sarah says, "Amanda is the dishwasher".

I am trying to convince myself its better to be inconvenienced for a few years and then meet my financial goals...but part of my brain is screaming "but if you spent some of the money you're saving each month on rent, you could rent a 3 br house with a yard, dishwasher, fireplace, and washer/dryer"...but the extra 500 a month would be money I couldn't save...so its inconvenience for 2 years for us.

alinnell
03-22-2007, 12:27 PM
When DH and I moved here to CA, we rented a duplex for a while. We had our own washer and dryer that we had brought with us (we bought it used/refurbished and they were already 15 years old!). But the duplex had no place for us to put them (it was very small) BUT it did have one of those stackable washer dryers in one hall closet (sure took up a lot of storage space!). It was tiny--I couldn't even wash all the bedsheets in 1 load! But it was tons better than going to the laundromat.

And I hear you about housing costs here. We moved in 1990 and sold our house in Utah for $68,000 and when we finally bought here, we were LUCKY to find a house for $120,000. I was so scared thinking we'd never be able to make the payments. Well, we sold that 4 years ago and made almost $100,000 on the sale and built our current home. Now I almost can't wait for the kids to move out so we can downsize! LOL

ennay
03-22-2007, 02:28 PM
A month or so ago I ran an experiment to just see what would happen... he always leaves his clothes to rot in the washer and dryer and every time he uses the dryer he pulls the fuzz out of the fuzz catcher thinger and tosses it on top of the dryer. There is a garbage can in the laundry room! So I put that garbage can on top of the dryer and left it there for three weeks, and every week I still had fuzz sitting on top of the dryer, right next to the can. UGH!

that is still better than my dh he will NOT EVER clean the lint trap no matter how much I gripe. Our lint trap is the kind that is in the back of the dryer, only accessible by reaching in to the back. I definitely prefer the top accessible

Well, anyway when I was 9 months preggo I could no longer reach the clothes in the bottom of the washing machine so I would start laundry and have him transfer to the dryer. After awhile I was noticing that my clothes were taking FOREVER to dry. Sure enough he NEVER cleaned the lint trap. I crawled in there and there was a rainbow quilt with layers of lint showing each load. I think it was 7 layers deep at that point, and completely solid- It could have been used as a cleaning rag at that point without disintegrating. I removed the compressed blanket of lint and showed it to him and he said. "I dont remove lint" ? It wasnt a disgust thing, more an "Its not important and I'm too busy to bother with such an insignificant detail"

This is the man who gripes at me if I leave a light on in the laundry room while I gather up the laundry because it wastes energy, but running the dryer for 3 hours to dry 1 load is ok with him. :?:

Luminous
03-22-2007, 02:36 PM
My parents always told me lint buildup in the dryer was a fire hazard. I don't know if it's true, but try that angle on your husband!

royalsfan1
03-22-2007, 03:01 PM
My parents always told me lint buildup in the dryer was a fire hazard. I don't know if it's true, but try that angle on your husband!

Serious fire hazard! He won't have to worry about a light bill if he burns down the house....

tikanique
03-23-2007, 09:28 AM
I told my brother and his wife that not emptying the lint tray was a fire hazard. They were staying with my mom and she kept going off about them not cleaning the trap and they thought she was being picky. Well, they finally got on their feet, moved out of her house and into an apartment with washer dryer connections. 3 months later, they set the apartment on fire because they HADN'T CLEANED THE LINT TRAP!!

Tiki

NemesisClaws
04-07-2007, 05:46 AM
I hear ya on the whole sharing of the washing machine and dryers. When I was living in the dorms at college, I quickly learned that if I wanted to avoid the "rush hour" in the laundry rooms, to pick the times most folks were either partying or sleeping. That means I usually did the laundry on a Friday night (only time possible since the mornings and afternoons everyone was trying to get that one piece of clothing clean for the partying!), or in the wee hours of the mornings. And yes, I usually stayed in the laundry room either studying or reading a book while I waited for my clothes to be dried. I can't stand for folks to touch my clothes. I've seen folks take clothes out of the washing machine or dryer and just drop them on the floor or even in the trash can! I could never do that!

mamaplots
05-03-2007, 06:28 AM
Arrrgh. I totally know how you feel!! I have to do our laundry at the laundromat, since we're saving for a washer/dryer. Last weekend, this old woman had ONE blanket in every dryer in the whole laundromat!!!!

Cheryl14
05-03-2007, 09:18 AM
Hi Mandalinn!

I'm so sorry to hear of your troubles with the laundry and washing machine/dryer and the people that you have to deal with regularly! All through college laundry was a challenge for me, but the PEOPLE with their laundry were the biggest challenge! The laundromat was better, but still a pain. When we were married and moved into our first apartment there were just two washers and two dryers for THIRTY UNITS of families! I used those once and found that I was heading back to the laundronmat AGAIN!

Several times since we moved into our home thirty years ago, our washer has broken down, and I have needed to load everything into the car and once again head to the laundromat. I can't believe how expensive it is these days! I spent $27.00 doing one week's laundry of five people several months ago! When I was in college (1970s!!!), it was just 50 cents to wash a load and 10 cents to dry one!

A friend of ours has one of those neat units where the washer and dryer are stacked together. They are specifically made for apartments. He LOVES not having to head to the apartment washers and dryers in the basement, and says buying the one-piece unit was SO worth it. When he gets his house he plans to keep it IN ADDITION TO the regular washer and dryer he will buy. Maybe that would be something that would work for YOU, too. It could save you money, too, if your current one requires $$$$ to do your laundry.

Cheryl

HarpoChicoGroucho
05-03-2007, 11:13 AM
I still go to my parent's and use their machines. In my apartment building, we have one set of machines for 8 units -- and of course everyone does theirs on the weekend, so I don't even bother. And I'd have to pay anyway, so I drive 40 miles every two weeks to do my laundry for free (it's not the only reason I go home) My next apartment is going to have full size washer/dryer in the unit, so I won't have to mess around with crappy pay machines (which are incredibly tiny) ever again!

JasonsLea
05-03-2007, 12:10 PM
I still wash my clothes at my mama's too. I live in an apartment complex that has washer/dryer connections in every unit BUT the washer has to be in the kitchen and my kitchen is VERY tiny so no dice.