Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 03-20-2007, 08:36 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 156/133/130

Height: 5'2"

Default Taking a Break?

I have been on 3FC's for a long time and started trying seriously in November. I have been logging everything on Fitday and I visit 3 FC's about 3 times a day. The thing is that I am only losing about 2 lbs. a month and I'm tired of logging everything I eat. I do well all day long but when it comes to dinner, I want something good, real food. I mostly stick to 1400 calories or under but a few times a week I guess you could say I zig zag. DH and I used to eat out a lot but we don't do that as often which is good, but I like to eat out. Most of the time I try to eat something good but sometimes I just eat what ever I want and then I have to enter it into Fitday and feel guilty. I haven't gained weight, but I haven't lost any either. I bought a new scale a couple of weeks ago (one that weighs .02, .04, .06 you get the idea). I thought it would be motivating to see it move up or down. Well today I got on the scale and it said the same old thing 147.04. I can't believe it didn't even fluctuate a little.

Anyway, DH asked me tonight why I wasn't getting on "3 fat girls". I guess he pays a LITTLE attention. My standard routine is to finish dinner, log my food into Fitday and get on 3FC's to read for a while. I told him I was thinking about taking a break and asked him what he thought. Of course I got the standard guy answer "Do what you want". I asked if he thought it was helping me and again "Do What You Want".

I am so frustrated. I am so tired of entering my food into Fitday and feeling guilty about what I eat. I'm tired of logging into Fitday, and tired of thinking and planning about food. I feel like my whole world is centered on food. So I feel like I need a break. A break from Fitday, 3FC's and thinking about food. Don't get me wrong. I love 3FC's. I feel like we are one big family that can share anything and I love reading everyones post about their lives/days/ accomplishments. I just don't know if I can keep doing this. I feel like my life is consumed with food.

Anyway, sorry about the rant. Any input would be appreciated (except "do what you want") cause I don't know what I want anymore.

Last edited by abbyin; 03-20-2007 at 08:42 PM.
abbyin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 08:48 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 152/140/130

Height: 5'5"

My opinion is that FitDay (which I don't actually use), 3FC, etc. are all tools, to help us for as long as we need them. Some people will probably use them forever, because they will continue to fine them helpful. But if they are feeling more restrictive than helpful, I don't see a problem with pushing yourself out of the nest and flying on your own for a while. Of course you don't want to go hog wild, so you might want to draw up some general guidelines for yourself, but there are lots of people here who are losing weight with a very informal, unstructured "program", so try experiementing a bit. And there's nothing wrong with just deciding to maintain for a bit, and decide whether you want to try to lose more after you take your break.
Janie Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 08:59 PM   #3  
Co-Mod

S/C/G: 272/129/127

Ok, what I think is that maybe you do need to take a break because it seems as if that right now your heart isn't in it and that can only lead to heartache in the end I think.
Now, I am not saying to just eat whatever and never exercise. I am saying maybe just take a few weeks or however long you feel that you need to eat the recommended daily amount (not higher and not lower) and exercise normally (not excessively as one might if they were trying to lose).
Maybe spend a little time taking a mental break and that might rejuvenate you when you return to "dieting." Also, taking a break might fool your body into losing when you start up again because it might think "hoorah, the famine has ended! I don't need to hold on to every ounce for dear life any longer!"
But what I am NOT advocating is that you take a break from us. I mean if you feel that being here would stress you out or something then I mean, I guess I could maybe understand (just maybe ). But maybe just even stay with us to shoot the breeze on general chatter and get a few "tips" for when you decide to go back to "dieting."
In any event, let us know what you decide to do!
shrinkingchica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 09:35 PM   #4  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Hey abbyin,

From your description of what you're doing food-wise, I'd say you're doing maintenance. So, it's not surprising that your weight is staying the same. And, your BMI is only 1 point above normal weight. So, gosh! No wonder you aren't gung-ho on weight loss.

Take a break. See how it goes. Do some "research" on eating and daily life and let us know how it's going.

Good luck!

Jay

Last edited by JayEll; 03-20-2007 at 09:59 PM.
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 10:38 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 156/133/130

Height: 5'2"

Thanks guys for your input. I think I will take a little break and re-group . I know I will probably still lurk around 3FC's a few days a week. I think I'm addicted. Besides, I don't want to lose touch with what everyone is up to.

I'll check back in a little while latter . Good luck to everyone on their journeys .
abbyin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 09:57 AM   #6  

Height: 5' 7''

I'd agree with folks that say if your heart isn't it it then all the worrying and logging and 'dieting' is pointless.

If however it is and you still want the scale to move then I have two suggestions. 1. go to 3FC's before dinner....it will make you more aware of the portion sizes. 2. you don't mention exercise...try it, it really makes the world of difference to your weight and mindset. honest.

Good luck in whatever you decide to do...
finn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 10:13 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

I get frustrated entering everything into fitday, also.

I tried this, perhaps it will work for you and give you a break.

If you have certain foods that you eat over and over and over (especially breakfast stuff) take a little while and figure out the total calories for each thing and write it down (or enter in computer). Then plan out a weeks worth of lunch and dinner choices and also write those down. If you have it all on one piece of paper, then you're set. I actually printed out 7 copies and then each day I highlighted the foods I ate and at the end of the day all I had to do was add it up. Simple, easy, only a little time spent one afternoon to plan it and type it.

I agree that taking a break every now and then is good. You're REALLY close to your goal. If taking a break for a little while will give you the rest you need, then you can come back and go full force and get to that goal! You can do it. You don't sound discouraged. But I know how you feel (without being able to put it into words myself). Good luck with whatever you decide.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 10:23 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 188/ticker/130

Height: 5'3"

take a break if needed but i think you are expecting success with out doing it whole heartedly. One thing i did notice in your info is i NEVER saw anything about exercise. AFter a while your body adjust to the calories...and unless you do something to "shake it up" you will remain stagnant. If you are exercising...are you doing the same thing every day? If so, change your routine...do some interval training, do some wt training etc. If you arent exercising..first and foremost DO IT! weight loss is sooooooooo very hard without exercise. It will take you forever without exercise. Start small....20 min 3-5 times a week and go from there. And do different stuff..one day i walk, next i bike, another day weights etc. You body will get into a routine unless you keep it guess. Counting calories and watching what you eat will not get you total weight loss unless you start moving. You need exercise to be successful.
And don't forget...everyone's body at some point reaches a plateau and it takes everyone a while to get out of the "rut" some maybe that's just what's happening with you. i would advise trying to stick with it...be more religous bout not zipgzagging...trust me..i have great dinners at night...but they are healthy. I've found great recipes ect that i love and are low cal but taste great!
Good luck!
GatorgalstuckinGA is offline   Reply With Quote