LA Weight Loss - 100 calorie english muffins

View Full Version : 100 calorie english muffins

Kansas
03-19-2007, 01:38 PM
I was wondering if someone could point me in the direction of the 100 calorie english muffins a lot of you are using. I tend to be more of a lurker on this site, I don't post often and I think I missed some of the information along the line in the daily menu thread. How are you counting them and who makes them? I did find some over the weekend that were 110 calories - are those the same ones? Thanks for your help.

JLynne126
03-19-2007, 03:10 PM
I use Thomas' Light English muffins. Not only are they 100 calories but they pack 8 grams of fiber to boot!!

bizlawchik
03-19-2007, 03:12 PM
I just received my answer today from the LA Dietician:

Thank you for submitting your question to our Nutrition Department.

You can have 1 whole Light English muffin as 1 Starch exchange; please use no more than 1-2 times per week.

JLem311
03-19-2007, 03:14 PM
i found some WW english muffins that are 100 calories. i don't normally buy them, but i did this weekend and they were pretty good.

mamabanana
03-19-2007, 03:15 PM

You can have 1 whole Light English muffin as 1 Starch exchange; please use no more than 1-2 times per week.

GET...OUT.....really???

mamabanana
03-19-2007, 03:16 PM
Hey...did you ever ask them about the Western Bagels then? they are nutritionally similar...hmmmmm.....I wonder!

bizlawchik
03-19-2007, 03:42 PM
The Western Bagels are also one starch. I don't have that e-mail anymore as I asked them a LONG time ago!

Dan2112
03-19-2007, 04:03 PM
Well, I struck out trying to find them at Walmart, so I'll look elsewhere..

I stopped by a nearby deli that sells Boar's Head brand.. They don't carry the low sodium beef, but they do roast their own and add no sodium to it... The guy there said he believes it has less sodium than the 80 g contained in the Boar's Head.. I haven't tasted it yet, but it smells really good..

As for the muffins.. I found a couple of other brands that had close to 100 calories per, but they were awfully high in sodium and didn't have as much protein or fiber as the Thomas brand..

mamabanana
03-19-2007, 08:45 PM
Well, I struck out trying to find them at Walmart, so I'll look elsewhere..

I stopped by a nearby deli that sells Boar's Head brand.. They don't carry the low sodium beef, but they do roast their own and add no sodium to it... The guy there said he believes it has less sodium than the 80 g contained in the Boar's Head.. I haven't tasted it yet, but it smells really good..

As for the muffins.. I found a couple of other brands that had close to 100 calories per, but they were awfully high in sodium and didn't have as much protein or fiber as the Thomas brand..

Hey Dan,
I use the BH low sodium roast beef all of the time, I have it for lunch maybe two times per week on one of said 100 cal english muffins...very good!

Repo girl
03-19-2007, 10:26 PM
Okay, now I have to find these freaking english muffins. The thought of an egg sandwich for breakfast has me bewitched!

coopergrrl
03-19-2007, 10:59 PM

is that a starch for any color program? I think I was told only one half a muffin at a time, I'm on gold.

Dan2112
03-20-2007, 01:14 AM
Oh... I forgot to mention.. On the Thomas Muffin's website, they have a "find our product" locator.. Well, when I put in my Zip Code, it said to email them for locations. I sent them an email asking for a location and today they sent me a nice personalized letter with a couple of coupons for their products.. They said that since it's a new product they don't have it everywhere, but to "stay tuned"...

Repo girl
03-20-2007, 10:09 AM
Oh, thanks Dan, I will try that!

Dan2112
03-20-2007, 11:30 AM
OK... I have a question for the LA Online Dietician, so if someone could pass this along, I'd appreciate it...

If we can eat an entire 100 cal. Thomas English Muffin, and have it count as only 1 starch, why does two slices of 40 cal. (80 cal. total) bread count as 2 starches????!

I've been eating the "Nature's Own" double fiber wheat bread and have been counting it as 2 starches for 2 slices.

I'd like the dietician's advice, as I have half an idea the girls at the COD would give me either a blank quizical look, or would say "Becuase that's how it is" kind of answer...

Any ideas, y'all?

juliemarie
03-20-2007, 11:34 AM
Excellent question Dan! Now, I'm not the dietician, but I'd like to venture a guess:

The starches on plan are made up of "lite" and "heavy" choices-much like the proteins are: beef=heavy; chicken and fish=lite. So-lite bread, crackers, 1/2 pita=lite choices and the bagels, brown rice, etc=heavy choices. If you mix and match these during the week-that's good; if you do mostly lite choices, you might lose faster; and if you do mostly heavy choices-you might lose slower.

That's my guess . . . . . .

Dan2112
03-20-2007, 11:36 AM
Thanks JM.. Let's bookmark that answer and see what answer we're given if someone would be nice enough to pass it along to them...

bizlawchik
03-20-2007, 11:41 AM
OK guys... busy day at work. But someone PM me this and remind me to send it in the next day or so.

Mama Nicole
03-20-2007, 11:52 AM
JM.....that is pretty much what my old COD manager said. In fact, she highlited in my book all of the lite starch choices, and told me when she did the plan she lost very quickly and stuck with the light choices. :)

juliemarie
03-20-2007, 12:06 PM
Yeah-I should SO work there . . . .Ha!

Dan2112
03-20-2007, 12:30 PM
Hmmmm.. How do we know that you don't and are spying on us???

juliemarie
03-20-2007, 01:10 PM
Ah Dan! You got me! :D

Jillibean1
03-20-2007, 01:16 PM
Back in 2002 when I first did this diet, starches were broken up into unlimited (could be used anytime), limited ( no more than 3 times per week) and starch Treat (only 1 time per week). The diet was way more restricted and complicated. The problem was that people would lose weight quickly and then regain because their bodies were not adjusted to the real world of starches. The diet had to revamp and consider other alternatives. The thinking was changed to include the other starches not for weight loss, but for looking ahead to maintenance. It makes a lot more sense. My center recommends different starch types daily...CC one day, frozen meal another, fast food another, beef another. Never two on the same day, but something every day so the body will not have to adjust later on. Back to the original question, the English muffin would probaby count like the old "limited". Your lite bread is the old "unlimited". If you have newbie counselors at your center, they might not know this. I tell the counselors stuff that they don't know because I've been around the diet a long time. I am in this to be policed and not allowed to fall into my lazy habits!

Repo girl
03-23-2007, 08:19 AM
Yeah-I should SO work there . . . .Ha!

Ha! They can't afford you, LOL!

Okay, to continue beating a dead horse, can someone share the nutritional info on the Thomas ones when you have a chance? Thanks!

bizlawchik
03-23-2007, 08:25 AM
Katie - Dang thing on their website is a pdf and I can't copy it. Here's the link. http://www.thomas100calorie.com/nutritionalFacts.cfm

zambejaly5
03-23-2007, 09:32 AM
[QUOTE=Dan2112;1618658]OK... I have a question for the LA Online Dietician, so if someone could pass this along, I'd appreciate it...

If we can eat an entire 100 cal. Thomas English Muffin, and have it count as only 1 starch, why does two slices of 40 cal. (80 cal. total) bread count as 2 starches????!........../QUOTE]

that doesn't make much since to me either. I just eat normal bread and count it as one starch. I don't feel that I am doing my body any benefit by eating lite bread that seems to be so low in nutritional value. I would rather eat good old heavy fiber whole wheat bread. and as long as I am losing I will continue to do that and just write down lite bread so they don't have a cow.

katiebug77
03-23-2007, 09:39 AM
Some starches are "heavier" than others. My COD tells me to use the higher calorie ones sparingly, but mainly rely on the lighter ones. They say this is to give you some variety, so you don't get burnt out on the program.

Dan2112
03-23-2007, 09:40 AM
Lettie.. It depends on which brand you buy... We buy the "Nature's Own" double fiber wheat bread and that has 40 cals. a slice and tastes really good and is bigger in slice size than most lite breads..

What I really miss is sourdough... God I love sourdough.. 'specially when you buy it in those unsliced round loaves with the crispy crust.. Mmmmmm....

katiebug77
03-23-2007, 09:49 AM
mmmmm.... hot, fresh bread. Stop it Dan. I am drooling at my desk.

bizlawchik
03-23-2007, 09:49 AM
I sent the question to the LA dietician this morning.

Dan2112
03-23-2007, 09:52 AM
Mucho appreciado!

Repo girl
03-23-2007, 12:09 PM
Thanks Cassie!!

marzbe
03-23-2007, 05:07 PM
Ok, now Dan has me wanting sourdough. Maybe I can use it as a CC PB & J over the weekend. :devil:

As for the bread thing it doesn't seem to make sense. Though, when I started program I asked COD manager about starches, she said to aim to keep it about 60 calories and 20 grams of carbohydrates. She's maintained a weight loss of 140 pounds for 40 years, so I typically take her advice seriously. Though I will fully admit to avoiding any bread at all costs. I'm fine with a 100 calorie English muffin, but give me a piece of toast and it's a cascading effect of a carb binge! :cookie: :cbg: :cookie:

Chick With Stix
03-23-2007, 05:41 PM
I finally found some of these things at Safeway. There was only 2 boxes left so I snatched up both of them!

Dan2112
03-23-2007, 06:01 PM
Cool! Can you send me one? :lol:

My search will continue this weekend...

marzbe
03-23-2007, 07:39 PM
Dan,

There officially abundant in the land of Thomas (have I mentioned the bakery is 20 minutes away? Thank god they're relocating Entemeans! :dizzy: )

I will gladly start an 100 calorie English Muffin delivery service for anyone who feels the absolute positve need to have these staples of my life! There's just something about eating a full English Muffin compared to half an English Muffin or a single piece of bread. ;)

Kansas
03-23-2007, 10:41 PM
I know bizlawchick said she emailed the dietician, but I finally got signed up for on-line as well so I made it my first question. Here is one response to the question about the reduced calorie bread. FYI - I use the Sara Lee Delightful Whole Wheat which is 45 calories a slice.

We encourage clients to learn portion sizes and portion control on the program as well as healthy food choices and weight loss. As there are many different varieties of bread with different nutrition facts, we can certainly evaluate some products to incorporate into your plan. You can have 2 slices of the Sara Lee wheat bread as 1 Starch exchange. You can also have 1 Light English muffin as 1 Starch exchange. We suggest using a whole wheat or multi-grain variety for increased fiber. As the English muffin is on the higher end of calories and carbohydrates, we suggest using it no more than 1-2 times per week. Please let us know if you have further questions.

That makes me a much happier camper!!! I love my toast and english muffins in the morning and a sandwich for supper.;) :D

bizlawchik
03-23-2007, 10:42 PM
Ooh! Thanks!

MM07
03-24-2007, 12:16 AM
Wow, that is really cool! Thanks for posting that!

Dan2112
03-24-2007, 09:10 AM
Damn! That's awesome... I'm going to talk to my COD about it this morning.. Or should I adopt a "don't ask, don't tell" policy??

mamabanana
03-24-2007, 09:56 AM
WOO HOO!!!! Anybody know what the LATortilla tortillas count as? LOL!!!!

bizlawchik
03-24-2007, 10:02 AM
LaTortilla Factory tortillas are one starch per the LA dietician.

bizlawchik
03-27-2007, 07:27 AM
On the bread thing, I got pretty much the same response as Kansas: (But I think if I submit the Nature Valley Double Fiber I may get 2 for 1 starch)

We recommend clients to count 1 slice of light bread as 1 starch, as its nutritional content has been evaluated for our program. Other products that are counted as 1 starch exchange, such as 2 oz bagel, are limited due to its various nutritional values, such as higher calories, higher carbohydrate, or lower fiber. This also helps you to learn about portion control. If you have a product you would like us to review, provide us with the complete nutritional content, such as the serving size, total calories, grams of protein, fat, and carbohydrate, so we can try incorporating into your plan. Let us know if there are any further questions.

Repo girl
03-27-2007, 07:46 AM
Damn! That's awesome... I'm going to talk to my COD about it this morning.. Or should I adopt a "don't ask, don't tell" policy??

Don't ask don't tell is where I am going with this. My COD had a heart attack yesterday about the english muffins. And the Almond Breeze.

Lynx
03-27-2007, 07:52 AM
I ran out last week and found the Thomas 100 calorie muffins after checking their websites product finder. I had one two days in a row. It was a mistake for me. I can see that they are not going to help my weight loss if I count them as only one starch. To me, the logic that they are only 1 starch does not make sense to me.

bizlawchik
03-27-2007, 07:52 AM
Katie - I can PM you the notes from the LA Dietician on the english muffins and Almond Breeze if you want. Or tell your COD to send the info to the dietician too. They only have heart failure because they don't know any better. Every time I get a new counselor I always have to explain everything so I actually printed up a list that I put at the front of my diary so they know that:
Tortilla = LaTortilla Factory Tortilla, 50 calories, 1S, see file
Almond Breeze = 40 calories, 1/2D, see file
I got so tired of them freaking out when I'd have a 1lb loss and then tell me "I'm doing it wrong."

bizlawchik
03-27-2007, 07:53 AM
Lynx - That's why they are only to be counted as 1 starch once a week. I agree with you that if you are going to use them more than that, you should count them as 2.

Kristi
03-27-2007, 12:51 PM
OK, I bought some of these and frankly I thought they were kind of gross. I didn't like the texture or the flavor. Maybe it's just me :)! I think I'll stick to my Sara Lee Delightful wheat.

bizlawchik
03-27-2007, 01:15 PM
My 14yo DD didn't like them either. And she's the reason I bought them. I didn't notice a texture difference really, but there are only 2 left so that should last me awhile. After that, if I buy them, I will keep them in the freezer.

Hair
03-27-2007, 05:40 PM
to respond to a queston that Dan asked. back on 3/20/07 (I am new to this sight) it is not the calories that makes a starch; it is the carbohidrates. My oldest son is a diabetic i am no expert but we have been taught that one starch is around 15 carbohydrates. you then have to take the fiber into consideration. not all starches are processeed the same; a higher fiber starch will process slower there for it effects your blood suger levels differently. Basicly if you subtract the fiber from the carbs it gives you the corbahidrats; in this instance 24 carbes - 8 fibers = 16, one starch. I hope this answers your question if someone as not already don so.

Dan2112
03-27-2007, 10:33 PM
Thanks for the insight.. That makes sense!