100 lb. Club - Do you take a multivitamin?

View Full Version : Do you take a multivitamin?

missaprylj
03-19-2007, 01:33 AM
Since my program has a little check-off for daily multi-vitamin, I've started taking one. :lol:

I was wondering:
1) Do you take one?
2) Why? I realize that vitamins are good for you, etc., but what really is the big deal about taking a multi-v every day?
3) Do you take a "special" type? I made sure to find one with 45% DV of calcium since I don't really like milk.

Thanks for your responses & have an excellent week.

chimichanga
03-19-2007, 01:39 AM
I do take one, since I started that and eating a variety of nutrients I haven't had a cold in 7 months. I would fully recommend it.

melekalikimaka
03-19-2007, 01:48 AM
I take a womens formula multi-vitamin because my doctor recommended it, especially for women of childbearing age. You want to have an adequate supply of folic acid which can help prevent spina bifida or other birth defects and it helps increase your blood supply once you get pregnant. That's the reason I'm taking it, just in case :crossed: :bb:

lisavs
03-19-2007, 03:12 AM
i take a one a day vitamin for women. its supposed to help with preventing breast cancer because it has more calcium i think.. ill have to edit this and make sure its calcium that helps with it. but yea, i try to remember to take one everyday. but i started taking them because of the low carb diet.

crazynette826
03-19-2007, 04:12 AM
I take a Flintstone Multivit. everyday. Why Flintstones? The doctor told me it was plenty and I like them!! I've been doing it for years and if I don't take them for a week or two I can tell. I just don't feel the same without them. So for me I figure why change something if it's not broken!!!

royalsfan1
03-19-2007, 07:19 AM
I take one. My doctor said that she wants EVERY woman in reproductive years to be on a multi-vitamin with folate. Even if you aren't planning on getting pregnant, she says, because accidents can happen (I've had 3...haha) and by the time you know you're preg it can be too late for extra folate to matter...

jennylou
03-19-2007, 08:03 AM
Yep, another woman here within childbearing age. :) I take a prescription prenatal. I like the ones that I take as they don't taste like a multi-vitamin, they have a shell on the outside (think like an advil). But, they're more expensive then the kind I could get at Target (for three times the quantity), so I might switch for the savings.

TempleBody
03-19-2007, 08:04 AM
I take Mutli-Expecting by SISU. I take this brand because they're in easy to swallow, orderless capsules. (Wow, sound like a salesman.) It has everything I need in it. I also take calcium chews and b-12 losengers. I take the extra calcium cause I'm on the Depo-Prevera shot & the b-12 because I don't eat much meat.

Charbar
03-19-2007, 08:17 AM
I am NOT have any more kids!! :)
I do, however, take a CHEWABLE multi vitamin. I believe you get more out of a vitamin if it breaks down faster. I have also heard that a children's chewable vitamin is just as good for most of us adults.

Dawn2Dusk
03-19-2007, 01:51 PM
I take One-A-Day Women's multivitamin (or the generic brand when I'm broke :p). I only started and haven't noticed any of the benefits as of yet and I don't remember to take them everyday, either.

Mrs Quadcrew
03-19-2007, 02:00 PM
YES - if you are of child bearing years, TAKE YOUR VITAMIN. We had a son with a spina bifida birth defect that was not compatable with life. Such an easy thing to do, and so very important to your future children.

Sandi
03-19-2007, 02:00 PM
When I can remember I do.

Flinstones...hmm..I love those. I might check into that. I bet I'd remember then!

sugarlove
03-19-2007, 03:21 PM
I do - count me in for Flintstones! While I do eat really healthfully nowadays, I take it to fill in any gaps that might exist nutritionally....covering all bases, so to speak!

pinupdreams
03-19-2007, 03:23 PM
growing up i was always told by my mother that vitamines made you gain weight so ive had that mentality every since, hence why i dont take them. doctors have told me that they do not make you gain weight, but i just dont want to risk it.

NWGal
03-19-2007, 05:08 PM
(1) I take one
(2) because I don't eat a variety of food everyday.
(3) I just grabbed whatever was on sale at that time, it happened to be One-A-Day for women.

Goddess Jessica
03-19-2007, 06:02 PM
I take a multi-vitamin (when I remember) because my doctor says so and I'm of child-bearing age.

I also take calcium/magnesium supplement because I was on Depo-Provera for a long time and that affects your calcium absorbtion.

Finally, I take 2000 mgs of fish oil every day (read: when I remember) because it's shown to do wonders with heart disease and that runs in my family.

missaprylj
03-21-2007, 02:30 AM
Very interesting.... thanks everyone.

Oh, question. Folic acid = folate?

SexyRevealed
03-21-2007, 10:39 AM
I take a bunch of stuff. Some people think I'm crazy, but my mom has taught me the value of preventative health care.

For overall health:
Multivitamin w/iron
EFA's (fish oil, flax oil, borage oil)
B-Complex

These supplements are for overall health as well, but have a benefit with weight loss:
CoQ10
Alpha Lipoic Acid
Acetyl L-Carnitine
L-Carnitine

cantforgetthis
03-21-2007, 11:18 AM
I take a whole foods based(for better absorbsion) multi-vitamin and mineral formulated for women. It also has herbs and "greenfoods". There's not really any mega doses, but taken just in case. I'm usually pretty good about the variety of foods, but sometimes it's just not possible.

jennylou
03-21-2007, 12:21 PM
Remember that you should check your vitamins, you need 400 micrograms daily if you're of childbearing age. :)

Kamily828
03-21-2007, 02:04 PM
I take a generic one a day vitamin. I have problems remembering to take it.

melekalikimaka
03-21-2007, 08:45 PM
Very interesting.... thanks everyone.

Oh, question. Folic acid = folate?

Yes! Folate = Folic acid (Vitamin B9) = folacin

kaepepper
03-21-2007, 09:52 PM
My little excuse for not taking one is that I've heard you need to be careful about which kind you buy - some have barely any absorbable vitamins inside. And I don't know how to tell which are which. Has anyone else dealt with this issue? Thanks!

SexyRevealed
03-21-2007, 11:05 PM
My little excuse for not taking one is that I've heard you need to be careful about which kind you buy - some have barely any absorbable vitamins inside. And I don't know how to tell which are which. Has anyone else dealt with this issue? Thanks!

I've heard you can put a vitamin in water and see if it dissolves in an hour to test it. I try to look for gelatin capsules (with loose powder inside) over the tablets.

As far as brands, my mom swears by HSN's Andrew Lessman, but they are expensive. I like Vitacost's NSI brand. Their vites and supplements are really affordable and have no fillers. There are several other brands as well, I'm sure.

Nori71
03-22-2007, 10:59 PM
I take a whole foods based(for better absorbsion) multi-vitamin.Me too. I've taken them for a few years now. There are times when I got out of the habit and I do notice a "gradual" difference in how I feel.

Regarding the "acid test" - you can do it to find out if your multi—or any other pill!—dissolves properly.

1. Place approximately one cup of white vinegar in a small bowl and warm it to 98 degrees or so by placing it inside a larger bowl of water that you "top up" several times with warm water from the tap. (The goal is to keep the vinegar reasonably close to 98 degrees - body temp -for half an hour.)

2. Drop your multi-vitamin (or other pill) into the vinegar, and jostle it about every five minutes or so by gently shaking or swirling the cup. While you can also stir the mix with a wooden stick or toothpick, be careful not to touch the tablet itself.

3. The tablet should dissolve within 30 minutes. (This is the USP standard for all pharmaceutical tablets.) If it doesn't dissolve within a full hour, it's not doing you much good. Get another brand!I've skipped step 1 and tried it with room temp vinegar and mine disolves within a few minutes.

Cokia
03-22-2007, 11:30 PM
My diet doctor also recommends that I take a multi-vitamin. (along with my extra strength iron pill because I am anemic.)

Michelle
03-23-2007, 01:25 AM
Yes, I take the Walmart Equate Brand of Women's One A Day and I notice a difference of having more energy.:^:

summerlove
03-23-2007, 01:32 AM
I used to.

But then my dermatologist put me on accutane and told me I had to stop taking it because it contained vitamin A, and since accutane contains a large amount of vitamin A, the multivitamin would increase the side effects of accutane. :(

BrisaLee
03-23-2007, 06:50 AM
I take a One A Day Maximum...when I remember. I figure, it won't hurt anything, and it probably helps.

I also try to take a Vitamin C with Bioflavinoids during cold season and a Cal/Mag at night before bed. I usually end up forgetting those two though.:o

carols2
03-24-2007, 03:26 AM
growing up i was always told by my mother that vitamines made you gain weight so ive had that mentality every since, hence why i dont take them. doctors have told me that they do not make you gain weight, but i just dont want to risk it.

I do seem to want to eat more while on my supplement. It's like my appetite seems to get healthy.:smug: But mainly when I first start taking them. After about 2 weeks, they do not seem to make me want to eat.