General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 03-20-2007, 09:06 AM   #16  
One pound at a time.

S/C/G: 238.2/186.2/150

Height: 5ft 4in

Quote:
Originally Posted by newFannie07 View Post
I even flew from AZ back to St Louis in 2005 to see games in the old stadium before they tore it down . And flew back in 2006 to see games in the new stadium, which was just as much fun as the old.
That's my mission this year to get to a Cardinals game. I'm a newbie to baseball compared to the rest of you. I've never been to a major league baseball game and would love to go this year.
Clydegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 02:06 AM   #17  
Working to be an after!

S/C/G: 269/151.6/149

Height: 5'2''

Clydegirl, you should definitely go to an MLB game. There's nothing like it. We have a triple A team here in town, but after going to so many Major league games the minor leages can be boring. I still go and have a good time, but it's just not the same!! The atmosphere of the ballpark is what first got me interested in baseball, now I just love the game!!!
crazynette826 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 07:15 AM   #18  

S/C/G: 261.5/176.5/145

Height: 5.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazynette826 View Post
Clydegirl, you should definitely go to an MLB game. There's nothing like it. We have a triple A team here in town, but after going to so many Major league games the minor leages can be boring. I still go and have a good time, but it's just not the same!! The atmosphere of the ballpark is what first got me interested in baseball, now I just love the game!!!
That's so interesting to me because I'm just the opposite. I LOVE the minor league games!!! To me, that's where you find the biggest concentration of real fans and not just the idle "watchers". There is a huge group of people at each minor league game that scores the game themselves (which I LOVE doing). Also, everyone has their portable radio and headsets....keeping up with their major league team. Everyone there seems to just love the game. They love to talk about who their team is....history....memories...etc... It's great! Not to say that MLB games aren't fun...but the minor leagues have a very different feel to them.

I'm not a Cardinals fan even though our triple A team is theirs. I think it's just too hard to be a true fan to more than one team. I can follow the Cards but they don't make my heart race the way the Royals do. Also, a lot of those feelings could go all the way to 1985. Silly, though, since the Royals haven't really been competitive since then. HOWEVER, I did go to my first Cardinals game last year and I saw a lot of people scoring....that was cool. To me, that's the group of "old school" baseball fans.

EZ....HATE the Giants!!! Mainly because I can't STAND Barry Bonds. I truly wish that EVERY pitcher would pitch out and refuse to give him a chance to hit the ball at all. IBB him EVERY TIME!!!!! He deserves no record breaking shot. BLEEEEECCCCHHHHH!

OK guys....first memory question....who is your favorite all-time player? I mean, the guy who really makes your heart beat fast...and gives you goosebumps when you see him (or remember seeing him if he doesn't play anymore). Mine would be a toss-up between George Brett and Amos Otis...however, George would have to win out. I get all jittery even remembering seeing him play when I was growing up! And the pine-tar fiasco? I STILL cheer every time they show that clip where he comes barrelling out of the dugout!!!!!! WHHOOOOTTT!

Last edited by royalsfan1; 03-21-2007 at 07:21 AM.
royalsfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 09:15 PM   #19  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

S/C/G: 201/186/180

Height: 6'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clydegirl View Post
That's my mission this year to get to a Cardinals game. I'm a newbie to baseball compared to the rest of you. I've never been to a major league baseball game and would love to go this year.
It will be really special when you get the chance! I have been to Dodger Stadium of course, the old Padre stadium, Angel Stadium, the old Mariners Stadium for games...have seen Giants ~ Cardinals ~ Oakland ~ by air

Quote:
Originally Posted by royalsfan1 View Post
I'm not a Cardinals fan even though our triple A team is theirs....

Was there a Shaun Boyd on that AAA team by chance? I heard he may have dropped to AA. he was with the cardianls organization, played baseball against my son in little league, and with him in basketball in high school. Best little league player I ever personally saw!

EZ....HATE the Giants!!! THANK-YOU! Mainly because I can't STAND Barry Bonds. I truly wish that EVERY pitcher would pitch out and refuse to give him a chance to hit the ball at all. IBB him EVERY TIME!!!!! He deserves no record breaking shot. BLEEEEECCCCHHHHH!

WORKS FOR ME!

OK guys....first memory question....who is your favorite all-time player? I mean, the guy who really makes your heart beat fast...and gives you goosebumps when you see him (or remember seeing him if he doesn't play anymore). Mine would be a toss-up between George Brett and Amos Otis...however, George would have to win out. I get all jittery even remembering seeing him play when I was growing up! And the pine-tar fiasco? I STILL cheer every time they show that clip where he comes barrelling out of the dugout!!!!!! WHHOOOOTTT!
I am not sure of my favorite player. I have had several over the years from Sandy Koufax ~ Billy Russell ~ Bill Buckner ~ Brett Butler ~ Eric Gagne (NO MORE! ) But I will tell you I get all jittery as you say when I hear Vin Scully announcing Sandy Koufax's Perfect Game! I was 10 years old and heard it live with my dad. Every night he would lay on the couch and listen to the ball game, resting from the days work. A lot of nights I would lay on the floor by the couch and listen too, this night was special, I will never forget it! We had the record of the ninth inning years ago, bought it from a Dodgers special, lost it, then with the beauty of the internet, you can hear it...I haven't been able to figure out how to copy it or buy the copy though. I would really like to hold it again in my posession! But being able to click on it now and hear the 9th inning of that game is really special to me.

Thanks for sharing and keep it up! Any baseball stories will do just fine!! Let's see if we can build through the entire season gals!!
EZMONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 09:33 PM   #20  

Shaun Boyd played last year, I'm pretty sure. I don't know about before that...and I don't know if he is on the roster this year. If I remember correctly he was an outfielder. If I remember to, I'll go pull out last years' scorebook of mine and check to see if I saw him play or if I'm thinking of someone else.

I've only heard about Koufax's perfect game. I've GOT to find that on the internet and listen. How cool is that!? I
Old 03-21-2007, 09:45 PM   #21  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

Tricia ~ he was an outfielder, he started in the organization as a second baseman I believe. A few years ago he was projected to be on the roster by now...losing steam I guess.

I will P.M. you the link to Koufax ~ Thanks, Gary
Old 03-21-2007, 10:24 PM   #22  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

Lets see, I didnt become a baseball fan until later in life. I've been to Cleveland's old Municipal Stadium (for baseball, football, U2, Pink Floyd and The Who - nothing like an all purpose grey dingy half flooded piss hole), The Metrodome (twins) , the Kingdome (old Seattle), Safeco field (new Seattle), Cincinnati's new park, Petco, Anahiem...mmmm I think that is it.

Players hmmm. Since I wasnt a fan in the olden days dont really have any kid memories. I used to have a major crush on a player, but it is too embarrassing to admit, especially since he was most definitely a 'roids case. But we all went a little crazy up here in 2001.

on Bonds.... I pray to the baseball gods that he blows out his knees permanently before the season starts and never gets a shot at besmirching yet another record.
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 11:08 PM   #23  
Walking by faith

Quote:
I am not sure of my favorite player. I have had several over the years from Sandy Koufax ~ Billy Russell ~ Bill Buckner ~
Wait a minute...did you say BILL BUCKNER????
I still remember the 6th game of the 86 series. I screamed so loud my DH heard me in CT (I was in ME). My Sox played one of the best series ever in 2004..but that awful moment just won't go away

I'll forgive you this time Gary
Stepping Out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 11:13 PM   #24  
breakfast rebel

Height: 5' 4.5"

Quote:
OK guys....first memory question....who is your favorite all-time player? I mean, the guy who really makes your heart beat fast...and gives you goosebumps when you see him (or remember seeing him if he doesn't play anymore). !

Dennis Eckersley
Spinymouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 11:22 PM   #25  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebound View Post
I still remember the 6th game of the 86 series. I screamed so loud my DH heard me in CT (I was in ME). My Sox played one of the best series ever in 2004..but that awful moment just won't go away

he was hung for a lamb, the sox had plenty of chances to clinch that series and blew it, way beyond buckners error--lets not forget that was only game 6
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 05:45 AM   #26  
Working to be an after!

I'm fairly new to this baseball thing. I've only followed it closely for the last three seasons. I went to games as a kid with my grandpa and all his buddies. They went to every single minor league game here in town. He'd take one of the grandkids with once or twice a week. I remember it being a special time to hang out with my grandpa, but I don't remember much about actual games. More just the atmosphere and laid back attitude at the ballpark.

My uncle was the official scorekeeper here up until last season. So it was always fun to go to the games he was scoring and rib him on some of the plays/calls. He taught me how to keep score, so I started doing it at each game I go to. It's really fun! Most of the time I screw up a few times, but it's still fun to keep a record of what happened. I'll never forget I went to a game last year with my mom (triple AAA). We sat down next to this older man. First thing he said to us was "oh you girls out to enjoy the weather? Well don't worry I'll help you understand the game." I was just like okay. They I pulled out my scorecard and started writing down the lineups. The guy just gave me a weird look. By the third inning, he turned to me and said "maybe you can help me understand the game." It was so cool! I love breaking stereotypes!! He was a neat guy. It was really fun listening to his baseball stories, and as we got to talking it turned out he knew my grandpa. So it was really cool!
Old 03-22-2007, 05:50 AM   #27  
Working to be an after!

As far as favorite player of all time, I have to go with Todd Helton. Career .333 hitter, awesome with the glove, and so nice!!! He came to the children's hospital I worked at and took pictures and gave autographs to all of the kids. He was so sweet to all of the kids, and to the nurses! He's a really great player, but he might be my favorite for more personal reasons!
Old 03-22-2007, 07:07 AM   #28  

Quote:
Originally Posted by ennay View Post
he was hung for a lamb, the sox had plenty of chances to clinch that series and blew it, way beyond buckners error--lets not forget that was only game 6

Yep...a Series hangs on WAY more than one play. Or 1 call, Cardinals fans! Don Denkinger is their sacrificial lamb!
Old 03-22-2007, 04:49 PM   #29  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebound View Post

Thank-you dear! But he was a **** of a ballplayer! So sad that one play is all he is remembered for (except us true fans! )

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinymouse View Post

Dennis Eckersley
I would like to mention KIRK GIBSON here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ennay View Post
Most people forget that ENNAY...you are a "stud-ette"!

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazynette826 View Post
As far as favorite player of all time, I have to go with Todd Helton. Career .333 hitter, awesome with the glove, and so nice!!! He came to the children's hospital I worked at and took pictures and gave autographs to all of the kids. He was so sweet to all of the kids, and to the nurses! He's a really great player, but he might be my favorite for more personal reasons!
It's great to hear this stories...it is always the "you know what" we read about.

Quote:
Yep...a Series hangs on WAY more than one play. Or 1 call, Cardinals fans! Don Denkinger is their sacrificial lamb!
Well, unless you are a DODGER fan and remember Tom Niedenfuer pitching to Jack Clark (you-you CARDINALS fans YOU! ) Thanks so much TOMMY! Way to call that one from the dugout
Old 03-22-2007, 04:53 PM   #30  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

Tricia ~ glad you like the Koufax audio. There is a written play by play on the internet if you ever want to "read" it. It usually comes up if you google Vin Scully and Sandy Koufax...I think it is in a website Salon or something like that. If you want it and can't find it let me know, I have it written down somewhere...if I only had a brain... er "memory"