Looking Good, Feeling Great Plus to Petite Shopping, the Home Spa, and Beauty Tips for Beautiful Chicks

Old 03-15-2007, 05:09 PM   #1  

Default Help me find a swim suit best suited for my body

I want to start swimming at the gym, but every single swimsuit I try on looks horrible on me!

When I was 20lbs. lighter, I wore a lose board short that was mid-thigh length and bikini top from Mossimo (non-Target Mossimo) that fit great! I really do need help with picking out something more flattering on my body.

Suggestions?

Last edited by Berlin; 01-15-2008 at 03:15 PM. Reason: update pic
Berlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 10:04 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 259/169/160

Height: 5'5"

When I wanted to start a swimming program but felt self-conscious about how I looked in a bathing suit, my doctor (at the time) told me: "Think of it as a workout, not a pageant."

I know it's hard, but the truth is, no one -- at ALL -- EXCEPT YOU -- is going to be thinking about your body for the 1-2 minutes (or less) it takes to walk from the locker room to the lane and hop into the water.

As far as swimsuit styles, I would go with a classic Speedo racerback in black or navy with low-cut thighs.

Good luck! Enjoy your swim -- you deserve it!

Remember: NO ONE CARES except you.
hollyannie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 04:26 PM   #3  

Don't know how much you're looking to spend, but they do make swim shorts like the ones you're wearing in your pics. I know Junonia sells them, but they're not cheap. Other places probably have them, too. You could get those and the tankini tops.

I like to cover my thighs, too, so I got swim shorts from JCPenney along w/ tankini tops. Only thing I don't like about them is the pockets float out and balloon up in the pool.
StraitLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 01:26 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 130/130/125

Height: 5' 8"

hmmm...many girls I know with similar body types to yours seem to have good luck with 1-piece suits with skirts. Skirts are great for concealing any lower-body problems, and they do look quite lady-like and fashionable out of the water! The real trick is to find a skirt that's cut long...and for you, I'm sure bust support is necessary! One pieces tend to just hold everything in place much better than tankinis.

I wish you luck!
I hate swimsuit shopping too. >_<
kelema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 04:55 PM   #5  

Thanks for the replies, ladies! I'm still looking for a good suit. I haven't found anything that I feel comfortable in, yet stylish. Phooey!

Has anyone purchased from Newport News?
Berlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 01:20 PM   #6  

Height: 5'3"

I think if you're swimming for exercise/fitness, that suit is going to annoy you. It's totally cute for the beach/pool, though!

Why not try Lands End Swim? They have Plus Size and Petites, and they have modest cuts and suits with skirts, too.
http://www.landsend.com/cd/frontdoor...88585851157030
rachinma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 10:40 AM   #7  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I found the swim swuit I want!!

I don't really care for swim skirts because they always fly up when I swim. I think I found want I want but I plan to lose some more weight this year so I don't want to buy yet. DH and I might be going to Miami again this year so this would be good.
http://www4.jcpenney.com/jcp/Product...50|46881|46884
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 07:54 PM   #8  

If you plan on spending lots of time in the pool, make sure you get a suit that will hold up in the chlorine!! I take water aerobics classes, and I had a suit for the fall session that didn't even make it through the 7 weeks of the class. It started to disintegrate and stretch all over the place. One night I got out of the pool, and the crotch of the suit was clear down to my knees. Now that was an interesting sight! Glad that no one had a camera. The person I talked to at Land's End said that the more polyester that is in the suit, the better it will stand up to the chlorine.

I'm considering one of the Junonia chlorine proof suits, but I want to lose some more weight first. They are expensive. The suit I'm wearing now is 2 pieces. The bottom is holding up ok, but the top is starting to lose it.

Good luck to all in their suit buying!!
Tammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 07:57 PM   #9  

Nelie, I like that suit!! Which color will you get? I think that top would go good with the bottoms that I have now. I might have to consider just getting a top to replace the one that I have.
Tammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 08:11 PM   #10  
Babsy

S/C/G: 162/162/128

Height: 5/0"

I'm also looking for a suit. My BIG problem area is my THIGHS. At one time they were very muscular - I was a dancer, gymnast, skier - now they look like cottage cheese. I need to find long shorts that I will feel pretty in and not like a "wanna be" surfer chick!
babsyW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 10:40 AM   #11  

Hi ladies, I logged in and saw your thread regarding swimsuits. The first thing that came to my mind are swimdresses! They are very pretty and flattering and oh so comfortable. I was really lucky, I happened to come across a michael kors black sexy swim dress at marshalls and got it at a good price.

They are soooo comfortable. Anyhow, I did a search and came across this site. They have many pretty styles to chose from and also a chlorine proof section for the pool. They have suits from longditude and a large selection to chose from. Check it out, maybe you can find something you like here the site adress is: www.swimsuitsforall.com

Also, many other sights to chose from. Just plug in your google search bar, the word swimdresses. I havn't seen too many in the stores, though I just saw that jcpennies carries some. Hope this is helpful. have a great day : )
FullSteamAhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 10:46 AM   #12  

swimsuits for all is absolutely great! They usually have pretty good deals. You might want to try Speedo, they have plus sizes and their suits are pretty comfy. I also swim laps, but find anything other than a regular one piece too cumbersome. One suggestion is attempt to get into the water at a place that's close to a bench so there's minimal walking time between you taking your towel off and getting into the pool.
lola06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 10:56 AM   #13  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by lola06 View Post
swimsuits for all is absolutely great! They usually have pretty good deals. You might want to try Speedo, they have plus sizes and their suits are pretty comfy. I also swim laps, but find anything other than a regular one piece too cumbersome. One suggestion is attempt to get into the water at a place that's close to a bench so there's minimal walking time between you taking your towel off and getting into the pool.
I agree, if you are swimming, then you really do need a one piece. I got a one piece faux tankini which I use for swimming and snorkeling. The tankini/shorts link I posted above is really for beachwear and ocean wading. Also, I like the turquoise color in it.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote