General chatter - What's your favorite store?

View Full Version : What's your favorite store?

alinnell
03-15-2007, 04:43 PM
What is your favorite store? You know the one--the one you can't get out of without spending at least $50 when you really weren't shopping for anything. Sure, it could be a grocery store (but most people usually have a plan to go there before they do--not like you just popped in to see what is new), but perhaps it is something else.......What is your favorite store?

alinnell
03-15-2007, 04:45 PM
Since I started the thread, I think I'll have to answer first. Barnes & Noble. I rarely leave without buying at least one or two books, even though I have a dozen unread books on my nightstand.
Secondly, it would be Target. DS loves to shop there and he'll ask me to take him. There won't be anything that I NEED, but I always seem to find something that I WANT!

mandalinn82
03-15-2007, 04:46 PM
Target. Because everything is relatively cheap, I feel like I can buy many things...but then they add up.

Also, old navy. Mostly because I always need new jeans. Always. And at Old Navy, I can consistently fit in one size lower than I am fitting everywhere else, and then I simply must purchase the lower-size.

Gamerchick
03-15-2007, 04:48 PM
Any book store is good if it has manga and kinky romance books. But I can't stop buying things when it comes to Suncoast or a Game Store. n___n

Glory87
03-15-2007, 04:48 PM
Borders/Barnes & Noble, Sur La Table/Williams Sonoma or Ann Taylor.

I usually just browse the bookstores though, I can no longer afford my book habit. I write down the author/titles of books that look interesting and then I put them on hold at my local library :)

kaplods
03-15-2007, 04:54 PM
"Don Smith's," is a warehouse overrun and liquidator store (they buy other store's stock when they are cleaning house or going out of business) like a privately owned "Big Lots."

Actually, I love ANY liquidator store or thrift store. I love the fact that I might find just about anything in these stores. My mother hates them because she rarely finds what she is "looking for," in these stores, but that is why I love them. They're perfect for those days you want to shop, but aren't shopping for anything in particular. "Treasure Hunting," means being open to possibilities.

I do have to be careful though, because I see "potential," in a lot of junk (I'm a crafter and love to reuse, recycle, and reform objects), and can end up taking stuff home I will never use (and periodically, redonate all of the "junk" I've accumulated to make room for more junk. Luckily (or unfortunately depending on how you look at it) my husband and I live in a very small apartment, so I can only accumulate one room full (at least that is our "deal").

LindaT
03-15-2007, 04:57 PM
Costco. I simply go mad when I go there. For some reason, buying 1000 baggies seems like a REALLY good idea for some reason when I am in that store. Funny, but buying 1000 of anything never occurs to me until I walk in their doors. I have enough christmas decorations to decorate 3 houses now because they start putting stuff out in july and keep adding. CDs, DVDs, giant spice jars, big bags of splenda, enoug chicken to feed an army.. it never ends!

Clydegirl
03-15-2007, 05:03 PM
My 2 favourite are Target and Bath And Body Works. Can't go in either of them without buying anything.

junebug41
03-15-2007, 05:28 PM
Cost Plus/World Market= TROUBLE

Rosario
03-15-2007, 06:00 PM
Target. Because everything is relatively cheap, I feel like I can buy many things...but then they add up.

Also, old navy. Mostly because I always need new jeans. Always. And at Old Navy, I can consistently fit in one size lower than I am fitting everywhere else, and then I simply must purchase the lower-size.

You just read my mind.......

I loooove Target because they have everything. I can spend hours in there.

and I loooove Old Navy because I love the way their clothes fits and it's just too comfortable.

EZMONEY
03-15-2007, 06:13 PM
Home Depot is probably the store of choice for Angie and I ~ seems we spend the most $$$ there monthly anyway!

We also call Costco the 600 Dollar Store ~ we never get out of there for less! Minimum trips were twice every three months last year. Since Ryan got married, Lara went away to college and Amanda spends most of the week in her fiance's grandparents condo, for school and work the trips and cost have gone down! :carrot: Plus I have saved $$$ not having to stock the fridge with beer and snacks for Ryan's friends ;)

Angie does like Target best of those types of stores.

Funny about Barnes and Noble ~ When Angie and I first met we were paying off our divorce bills, the economy was a little soft and I had just started getting back to work after severing my ACL ~ so for our date night we would go to I-HOP and use a 2 for 1 dinner coupon ~ go over to Barnes and Noble and just walk and talk and look at the books. We did that many times :love:

EZMONEY
03-15-2007, 06:14 PM
Oh and I love OLD NAVY, now that you mention it, because of the cute flip-flops Angie gets there!

nelie
03-15-2007, 06:15 PM
I have many.

Costco - I just bought a TV from there
Target - DH and I browse through their often, buying stuff. They also usually have dark chocolate on sale.
Barnes & Noble - located next to Target, the bargain section has some interesting books
Macys/Lord & Taylor - awesome sales on clothes. I have a problem passing up cheap clothes :)

My preferences have changed over the years. Origins used to be "the store" for me. I love the smell of all their things.

Now I wouldn't say its "at least" $50 but it is something.

melekalikimaka
03-15-2007, 06:22 PM
My favorite store out here is Wal-Mart. I don't get out of there for less than $50, even if I just stopped in for something really small. We DON'T have Target out here YET. I've had to "settle" for Walmart because since my husband got out of the Army National Guard I no longer have my ID and can't go shopping on base :(. I can sneak in on occasion w/my parents but those trips are few.

I also love Ross' Dress for Less. I don't care if something is last season cause I'm not exactly a fashionista (hence my penchant for Walmart :lol: ). I love finding bargains on brand name clothing for cheap for me and my son! Oh yeah, gotta love Macy's too. I make a beeline for the clearance racks first.

Clydegirl
03-15-2007, 06:29 PM
I also love Ross' Dress for Less. I don't care if something is last season cause I'm not exactly a fashionista (hence my penchant for Walmart :lol: ). I love finding bargains on brand name clothing for cheap for me and my son! Oh yeah, gotta love Macy's too. I make a beeline for the clearance racks first.

I forgot about Ross. We don't have any here :(

That used to be a treat going out with my friends and shopping for hours. Carts full of stuff.

nelie
03-15-2007, 06:35 PM
I forgot about Ross. We don't have any here :(

That used to be a treat going out with my friends and shopping for hours. Carts full of stuff.

I must be impatient! I can't do Ross or other stores like it. I rather not sift through clothes to find a couple things I might like.

dangerouscurves76
03-15-2007, 07:07 PM
My favorite store is Target. Most of my friends know this and will call me if they plan to go there just to see if I want to tag along! I can always find something to buy there even if I'm between paychecks and shouldn't be shopping at all.

Kamily828
03-15-2007, 07:33 PM
My faves are WalMart, Dollar Tree and Dollar General. Can you tell that Im cheap? LOL

almostheaven
03-15-2007, 08:20 PM
Wal*Mart for me too. I never leave there without spending at least $100. LOL Course I do all my grocery shopping there too. My other two choices would be Sam's Club and Lowes. Those are frankly the only places I really shop at. Ocassionally, I hit the book store for a new book (we have 6 bookshelves full and I don't mind re-reading LOL), and sometimes Old Navy or another store in the mall. But like someone else said...I'm cheap. ;)

royalsfan1
03-15-2007, 08:24 PM
Costco, Kirkland's, and Target. Love them, love them, love them!

mandalinn82
03-15-2007, 08:33 PM
Old Navy Flip Flops rock. Where else can you buy 3 dollar flip flops in a multitude of colors?

lizziness
03-15-2007, 10:25 PM
it is easy for me to go into walmart and waste all my money. but it's not one of my favorite stores and not to start the walmart fight but every time I shop there I feel guilty.
Costco is another one that just sucks you in and you buy things you didn't even know you needed and a zillion of things you really don't need. It is nice to only have to buy toilet paper twice a year tho. :)

Powells bookstore in Portland OR...hubby and I spent over $100.00 there buying USED books! bags and bags of glorious used books. I could move into that store and be in heaven.
Also, World Market- delicious imported foods and awesome weird stuff. Once we went in there to get a gift for my MIL ... didn't get her anything and spent about $100 bucks on ourselves!!

rockinrobin
03-15-2007, 10:55 PM
I really like Linens and Things. I can't resist stuff for the house. And for the kitchen. I love containers and organizing things. Tablecloths, serving platters and all that stuff. I also adore Target. There's just lots there to spend mindlessly on, better then eating mindlessly that's for sure. I also like CVS. I like stock piling shampoo, conditioner, toothpaste and with 3 teenaged daughters I can NEVER have enough TOM products in the house. And of course they all like something different. Was that too much information?

lizziness
03-15-2007, 11:52 PM
Stores like Ross and TJ Max scare the crap out of me. I am terrified some disgruntled housewife will wrassle me to the ground for the last item on the shelf...
seriously though I've only been in there once or twice and if I wanted to rummage around ugly crappy clothes I'd go to a garage sale or just look in my closet!:)

alinnell
03-16-2007, 10:18 AM
lizziness my in-laws went to Powell's--they said it was amazing! They, too, came away with armloads of books. They actually went in without knowing what to buy and started asking other people for book recommendations. Wow, some authors that I didn't know existed! They handed me one book and I ended up buying up ALL of his books and reading them--he was that good (IMO).

nelie
03-16-2007, 10:23 AM
Stores like Ross and TJ Max scare the crap out of me. I am terrified some disgruntled housewife will wrassle me to the ground for the last item on the shelf...
seriously though I've only been in there once or twice and if I wanted to rummage around ugly crappy clothes I'd go to a garage sale or just look in my closet!:)

Ok you basically said what I feel :)

I went to TJ Maxx once and I was surprised to find clothes that were more expensive than the same brand in the store on sale. I think I had been to Lord & Taylor the day before and saw the exact same thing for $15, TJ Maxx had it for $30 and I was like what the !?

melekalikimaka
03-16-2007, 08:12 PM

Just for clarification, I have been in some Ross or TJ Maxx stores on the mainland in several different western states and they were much seedier than what we have here in Hawaii. I guess it could've been the neighborhoods the stores were in, but the cleanliness and organization seem to vary widely between stores. Same with the Wal-Marts and K-marts. I shop the ones at home but probably wouldn't even go into the ones on the mainland. I'm generalizing of course, but I think you know what I mean. Even here, I only frequent the Ross stores in the more well-to-do neighborhoods, even if it means driving out 25 miles...25 miles one way is a big deal on this small island :lol:

FrouFrou
03-16-2007, 11:55 PM
Okay, can't name just one but here are my favs in no particular order:

Bath & Body Works
Yankee Candle
Hallmark
JC Penney
Scrapbook Garden
Dillards (only for handbags & perfume)
Almost forgot Barnes & Noble

I will go in any one of them for one thing and come out with lots more, lol!

BlueToBlue
03-18-2007, 02:32 AM
I don't buy a lot of stuff on impulse, so there aren't very many stores where I would spend $50 without planning to going in. But Target is definitely one of them. Also Ikea and Cost Plus. Since I have gotten down to my current size, the dress section in just about any of my fav clothing stores. For so many years I wasn't able to buy dresses because my top half was at least two sizes smaller than my bottom. Now that I can wear dresses again, I sometimes find them very hard to resist.

lizziness
03-18-2007, 02:59 AM
It definitely depends on where you are for those types of stores. When it comes to discount stores of any kind, I think. We go out of our way to go to the "clean Winco" here. They are both pretty gross, really but so dirt cheap.

Allinel - I'd love to know who the author was... ? When we were at Powells looking in the sci-fi fantasy section some woman that was shopping there just came up to me and started talking to me about an author I was looking at. Just another customer. It was kinda cool... I don't like when people talk to me in stores, usually because they think I work there, but it was kinda nice. I really think I could go there every day for a week and not get to see everything I'd like to.

GatorgalstuckinGA
03-18-2007, 11:01 AM
since i really don't shop for myself right now...my favorite store is a tack shop (horse store) in atlanta...i use to go to atlanta about once every three- four months...so when i went i would stock up on everything i need since we don't have a good tack shop in savannah. I'd usually spend between 200-300$ a trip...ouch! Now that we are going to atlanta once a month, if i go in the store i head straight to the area i need...ie horse treats, dewormers, or shampoos etc. otherwise i might break down and spend a lot. Darn horses are an expensive hobby LMAO

NurseMichelle
03-18-2007, 12:25 PM
Let's see....

Kohls~~always has tons of sales!
Target
Kirklands
JoAnn ETC
Bath and Body Works

And anything in Amish Country!

kelema
03-18-2007, 12:46 PM
I buy basics from stores like Marshalls and TJ Max, but one of my absolute favorite stores would have to be H&M.

The dresses? To die for. So cute. And H&M is one of the few stores that makes clothing that fits me well and flatters, as I have an unsual body time (AKA: am shaped like a boy).

HarpoChicoGroucho
03-18-2007, 02:27 PM
I just spent $215 at Kohl's (stuff on clearance and I had a 30% off coupon -- I got about $700 worth of stuff!) and then $200 at Target (I'm decorating a new apartment), but I love both of them. And I finally moved to a city where I have both of them close! Anyone have a Gordmans? It's a really great store. I LOVE it.

alinnell
03-18-2007, 04:25 PM
It definitely depends on where you are for those types of stores. When it comes to discount stores of any kind, I think. We go out of our way to go to the "clean Winco" here. They are both pretty gross, really but so dirt cheap.

Allinel - I'd love to know who the author was... ? When we were at Powells looking in the sci-fi fantasy section some woman that was shopping there just came up to me and started talking to me about an author I was looking at. Just another customer. It was kinda cool... I don't like when people talk to me in stores, usually because they think I work there, but it was kinda nice. I really think I could go there every day for a week and not get to see everything I'd like to.

the author was Harlan Coben. The first book I read was "Tell No One." It's one of those that twists and turns and you think you know what's going on only to find out you were wrong. I read it in a day--I just couldn't put it down. So then I read ALL his other ones. Some better than others, but for the most part very, very good (IMO).

NemesisClaws
03-18-2007, 04:40 PM
Hmm...50 bucks or more....for me, tends to be Lane Bryant, and I usually get bras and shirts there, that's it. K-mart for their sales on blue jeans, any bookstore in town frankly, and Krogers because I like to cook a lot. In fact, I go to Krogers more than any other store....:)

LLV
03-18-2007, 06:33 PM
Hmm...50 bucks or more....for me, tends to be Lane Bryant, and I usually get bras and shirts there, that's it. K-mart for their sales on blue jeans, any bookstore in town frankly, and Krogers because I like to cook a lot. In fact, I go to Krogers more than any other store....:)

If I had a dime for every time I walked through Kroger's doors, I'd be rich.

I love the grocery store as well. I also like the super Wal-Mart.

Kimush
03-20-2007, 04:40 PM
Hello All,

When I am in the mood I love to go to Winners (like Marshalls or TJ Maxx) for new clothes...

But I love to hunt and live for the thrill of the find at Value Village which is used clothes, accessories or shoes...My daughter and myself try to go at least once per month...We bought Ugg boots for $10, Seven Jeans, Versace Jeans, YSL sun glasses, a coach purse, a prada purse...and so much more...

Good Luck Shopping...

sweet_talker
03-20-2007, 06:53 PM
I love going to art supply stores, book stores, bulk food stores....my loves.

crazynette826
03-21-2007, 03:19 AM
Fashion Bug is my all time favorite store!!! Cute clothes for cheap, and they usually send me coupons every week. I hardly ever get out of there without spending more than $100. If I'm trying to save money, I don't go. I can't help myself.

I also love Target, Kohl's, and Michael's or other hobby/craft stores!

FindingMe2
03-22-2007, 04:56 PM
if I were in teh states it would be JC Penney's:carrot: