Old 03-15-2007, 10:19 AM   #1  
Almost the Big 50!

S/C/G: Goal of 150!

Height: 5'8"

Default High Blood Pressure????

At 220, I never had high blood pressure, now after losing almost 40 pounds i go to the Drs, and it reads 140/110 ok now i check with my Pharmists and he tell me to check it 3 times a week, I do and for the most part it normal 116/80 127/86, I think waiting in the Drs office 2 hours just up set me, any one else have this?
CyberGypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 10:23 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 261.5/176.5/145

Height: 5.5

Your body is catching up. Think about how hard it was for your heart to learn to pump blood through the bigger you. You might say, it was conditioned to do so. Now, you're shrinking..but your heart is still pumping away as previously...harder than it would be if you had never been big. I'd say give it some time to catch up....as long as your doctor doesn't consider it dangerous...because I imagine that it will.

(And I'm sure the long wait didn't help, any!)
royalsfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 10:36 AM   #3  
On my way to 160!

S/C/G: 275/191/160

Height: 5 feet 4 1/2 inches

Hi Sandy!

I donate blood every two months, so I am constantly having my blood pressure taken! It varies a lot from time to time. There are MANY factors involved! The reading is done by a person, so there are human differences in how they pump the ball. Sometimes the person doing it pumps it up so hard that I think the top of my head will explode! Sometimes the person pumps it up normally. Sometimes the blood pressure cuff is not working properly. You can get very different readings depending on the cuff! Other things that effect my readings are how much salt I ate, if my pants are tighter in the waist, if I am upset about something, and if I rushed right in and they took me right away vs. if I sat there leisurely for a half hour before being called. Also, the SIZE of the blood pressure cuff will often give very different readings! One time just by changing from the smaller cuff to the larger cuff my reading went from 160/95 to 130/70. That's a HUGE difference!

Before you get upset, see how many of these variables you can change before you get your pressure taken again.

We have a VERY SKINNY friend who eats like a horse and exercises and other than a high blood pressure reading is a very healthy person. She has ALWAYS had high readings. Your family history plays a big part in your blood pressure even if you are a natuarally slim person!

The last time I went in I had done yoga for an hour prior to donating. My blood pressure was the best it had ever been. It was 118/50. I have been as high as 150/90. Losing weight has helped a lot, but NOT eating Chinese on the Sunday before donating helps even more! (Salt and MSG used in Chinese cooking!)

Hope this helps!

Cheryl
Cheryl14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 11:15 AM   #4  
Almost the Big 50!

Thanks ladies, I have been watching it...... I guess my body needs a break, I NEVER add salt to anything at all, and I dont want to start taking meds, have weened myself off percocet and ambien, and no longer taking pills for my bad back and arm, I need to start walking again... I am at home all day so not much exercise....
Old 03-15-2007, 11:19 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 274/?/175

Height: 5'8

Same thing happened to me. I'm 22 and the doctor made a big fuss about how at my age they really say that I should be at a normal level- but I'm generally an extremely anxious person, and the elevator to her office almost gave me a nervous breakdown because I thought it stopped.

I've also read that it can vary a lot.
djs06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 01:37 PM   #6  

I wouldn't worry about one bad reading since your other readings are normal. That's why it was important for you to keep checking. Eh, it's a blip. Not a big deal.

If your BP were consistently high then it would be worth paying attention to, regardless of how many good excuses and explanations you could find for the high BP.
MariaMaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 02:04 PM   #7  
Almost the Big 50!

yea, seems when i know i am going to have it taken i freak, the secondtime is always better then the first.... seems like it average or a bit above 130/86.....