Old 03-14-2007, 08:47 AM   #1  
1/2 Marathon May 15 2011

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5'0"

Thumbs up Bananas!

I'm so glad I love bananas!

After Reading this, you will NEVER look at a banana in the same way again!

Bananas Contain three natural sugars - sucrose, fructose and glucose combined with fiber, a banana gives an instant, sustained and substantial boost of energy. Research has proven that just two bananas provide enough energy for a strenuous 90-minute workout. No wonder the banana is the number one fruit with the world's leading athletes. But energy isn't the only way a banana can help us keep fit. It can also help overcome or prevent a substantial number of illnesses and conditions, making it a must to add to our daily diet.

Depression:
According to a recent survey undertaken by MIND amongst people suffering from depression, many felt much better after eating a banana. This is because bananas contain tryptophan, a type of protein that the body converts into serotonin, known to make you relax, improve your mood and generally make you feel better.

PMS:
Forget the pills -- eat a banana. The vitamin B6 it contains regulates blood glucose levels, which can affect your mood.

Anemia:
High in iron, bananas can stimulate the production of hemoglobin in the blood and so helps in cases of anemia.

Blood Pressure:
This unique tropical fruit is extremely high in potassium yet low in salt, making it the perfect way to beat blood pressure. So much so, the US Food and Drug Administration has just allowed the banana industry to make official claims for the fruit's ability to reduce the risk of blood pressure and stroke.

Brain Power:
200 students at a Twickenham (Middlesex England) school were helped through their exams this year by eating bananas at breakfast, break, and lunch in a bid to boost their brain power. Research has shown that the potassium-packed fruit can assist learning by making pupils more alert.

Constipation:
High in fiber, including bananas in the diet can help restore normal bowel action, helping to overcome the problem without resorting to laxatives.

Hangovers:
One of the quickest ways of curing a hangover is to make a banana milkshake, sweetened with honey. The banana calms the stomach and, with the help of the honey, builds up depleted blood sugar levels, while the milk soothes and re-hydrates your system.

Heartburn:
Bananas have a natural antacid effect in the body, so if you suffer from heartburn, try eating a banana for soothing relief.

Morning Sickness:
Snacking on bananas between meals helps to keep blood sugar levels up and avoid morning sickness

Mosquito bites:
Before reaching for the insect bite cream, try rubbing the affected area with the inside of a banana skin. Many people find it amazingly successful at reducing swelling and irritation.

Nerves:
Bananas are high in B vitamins that help calm the nervous system.

Overweight and at work?
Studies at the Institute of Psychology in Austria found pressure at work leads to gorging on comfort food like chocolate and chips. Looking at 5,000 hospital patients, researchers found the most obese were more likely to be in high-pressure jobs. The report concluded that, to avoid panic-induced food cravings, we need to control our blood sugar levels by snacking on high carbohydrate foods every two hours to keep levels steady.

Ulcers:
The banana is used as the dietary food against intestinal disorders because of its soft texture and smoothness. It also neutralizes over-acidity and reduces irritation by coating the lining of the stomach.

Temperature control:
Many other cultures see bananas as a "cooling" fruit that can lower both the physical and emotional temperature of expectant mothers. In Thailand, for example, pregnant women eat bananas to ensure their baby is born with a cool temperature.

Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD):
Bananas can help SAD sufferers because they contain the natural mood enhancer tryptophan.

Smoking:
Bananas can also help people trying to give up smoking. The B6 and B12 they contain, as well as the potassium and magnesium found in them, help the body recover from the effects of nicotine withdrawal.

Stress:
Potassium is a vital mineral which helps normalize the heartbeat, sends oxygen to the brain and regulates your body's water balance. When we are stressed, our metabolic rate rises, thereby reducing our potassium levels. These can be re-balanced with the help of a high-potassium banana snack.

Strokes:
According to research in "The New England Journal of Medicine," eating bananas as part of a regular diet can cut the risk of death from strokes by as much as 40%!

So, a banana really is a natural remedy for many ills. When you compare it to an apple, it has four times the protein, twice the carbohydrates, three times the phosphorus, five times the vitamin A and iron, and twice the other vitamins and minerals. It is also rich in potassium and is one of the best value foods around. So, - maybe it's time to change that well-known phrase "A banana a day keeps the doctor away!"
Charbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 09:08 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 315/300/130

Height: 5'4"

Holy cow! I never knew they were so good for me.

So glad I cut up a banana on my grape-nuts this morning.

Had a bit of a bad day yesterday, so starting out healthy this morning, and looks like I chose the right fruit! =)
FilmGrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 09:12 AM   #3  
Nursing Momma

S/C/G: 312/247/212

Height: 5 ft 7 in

I eat a banana nearly every day. I love them.
jennylou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 09:32 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 260/252.6/125

Height: 5'1 1/2"

One note for those who are sugar sensitive. Bananas are loaded with sugar. Yes, it's natural sugar, but they have just about the highest sugar content of any fruit. So just beware if you are someone who has easy sugar triggers. Other than that, I love bananas too! (I'm not that sensitive)
bizlawchik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 09:57 AM   #5  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

I wish sugar wouldn't bother me, but it does. I try to keep eating bananas to one or 2 a month. They are without a doubt one of the better fruits we have in this world. But for me, it just doesn't work. (sad face)
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 10:20 AM   #6  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I agree! If I eat bananas, I definitely eat them with something else to reduce any "sugar effect". DH eats one every day though.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 10:42 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 243.5/243.5/140

Height: 5'5"

duh... i knew there was a reason I felt magically drawn to bananas at the store last night....I'm so glad I bought a couple!
NESunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 12:14 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 140/137/125

Height: 5'2.5"

I love Bananas I am a sugar person too but I have a banana everyday (sometimes more than 1) I ove them with peanut butter!
canadian mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 12:32 PM   #9  
Former Quitter

S/C/G: 310/310/180

Height: 5'7

When I was runner (20 years ago!) I ate a banana every day. On the days I didnt eat my banana, I would get cramps in my legs.
GirlyGirlSebas is offline   Reply With Quote