100 lb. Club - cottage cheese lovers, help me!

View Full Version : cottage cheese lovers, help me!

Shrinking Daisy
03-13-2007, 07:41 PM
I just discovered the other day that I really like cottage cheese. I avoided it for so long because I didn't like the way it looked, but I finally gave in and tried it and I love it. My problem is, since I avoided it for so long, I have no idea how to eat it. Yes I know, spoon in cottage cheese, spoon to mouth, chew, swallow, repeat ;) .... but what do I eat it with? Enlighten me ladies, please!

alinnell
03-13-2007, 07:56 PM
I love mine mixed with pineapple.

Goddess Jessica
03-13-2007, 08:02 PM
Oh don't ask me. I would say everything....

Savory foods:
On top of baked potatoes
In place of mayo in tuna salad
With pepper, basil and tomatoes.
With garlic powder
With taco seasoning and salsa

Fruits:
Strawberries
In oatmeal with blueberries
With cinnamon and apples

Perspective
03-13-2007, 08:15 PM
I'm also an apple freak. I love cutting up granny smith apples or pink lady apples and placing in a serving of cottage cheese .... fruit, fiber, cheese ... oh my!!!!

For the really adventurous ... place the mix in between 2 pieces of stone ground wheat bread. Beware ... co-workers will make fun of you :D :D

Vega Botain
03-13-2007, 08:22 PM
I eat mine in top of my salad, makes it really yummy and I don't feel like i'm eating like a rabbit :P

momma michelle
03-13-2007, 08:26 PM
I like mine with some crunchy Iceberg lettuce, fresh toms and cucomber with freshly ground pepper, some pickled onions and a slice of wholemeal bread or ryvita if preferred. Yummy!

CyberGypsy
03-13-2007, 08:29 PM
yummmmmm......fresh fruit.....

ledom
03-13-2007, 08:33 PM
I like it w/ apples too but I like to zap the apples in microwave a couple minutes w/ cinnamon then add splenda, cc, tablespoon of walnuts.

elisa822
03-13-2007, 08:49 PM
For sweet, my favourite is with canteloupe but any fruit is good. Otherwise I love it mixed with cut up tomatoes and cucumbers as a nice lunch "salad".

I have just discovered the beauty of "cottage cheese pancakes". They're referred to often here and I thought they sounded really creepy but I tried them and they're unbelievable. My husband loved them too. There's lots of different "recipes" but for one portion I mixed 1/3 cup cottage cheese, 1/3 cup egg whites and 1/3 cup raw oats in the blender with a bit of vanilla and splenda. Cook them in just a bit of Pam and yum! Delicious with a small amount of maple syrup (if you can handle just a little) or a bit of jam. Or they're great on their own.

Because it's basically equal amounts of the three main ingredients, you can make as much as you need.

beautifulone
03-13-2007, 09:04 PM
I never understood the cottage cheese with fruit thing since it's so salty.. but to each their own :)

I either eat it with a spoon or I cut up some chives/green onion (thin pieces), grind a little bit of black pepper, and voila! Yummy! :D

Suzanne 3FC
03-13-2007, 09:07 PM
I have always loved a scoop of cottage cheese with a kosher dill pickle :T

EZMONEY
03-13-2007, 09:11 PM
I like mine mixed in with the "sloppy joe" that slops out on my plate from "sloppy joe manwich" burgers...but THAT...is probably NOT going to HELP you!

Neko
03-13-2007, 11:06 PM
I never understood the cottage cheese with fruit thing since it's so salty.. but to each their own :)

I agree. If I'm eating it with fruit, I buy the no salt added. Tastes great with any kind of fruit or if you're going lowcarbish, sugar free jam.

I like the salted kind occasionally with cucumber slices. I make little sandwiches.

royalsfan1
03-13-2007, 11:21 PM
I like cottage cheese with a lot of things where usually I would have used cheddar. You get a lot more bang for the buck, so to speak.

I think it's a great side with an italian meal and salad...no bread, no parmesan...

I love it with chili.

I love it with anything really hot and spicy...it's has a nice cooling effect.

I like it with apples.

I love it with pepper and cherry tomatoes.

I even like mixing a packet of the dry ranch dressing seasoning and making my own, healthier veggie dip.

SwimGirl
03-13-2007, 11:22 PM
Cottage cheese and grapes! Or if you are feeling like trying something new, light ricotta cheese with cut up grapes and a little cinnamon, so good... too good actually.

I like the idea of cottage cheese with tomatos and basil, I might just try that!

-Aimee

lessofsarahtolove
03-13-2007, 11:26 PM
I have just discovered the beauty of "cottage cheese pancakes". They're referred to often here and I thought they sounded really creepy but I tried them and they're unbelievable. My husband loved them too. There's lots of different "recipes" but for one portion I mixed 1/3 cup cottage cheese, 1/3 cup egg whites and 1/3 cup raw oats in the blender with a bit of vanilla and splenda. Cook them in just a bit of Pam and yum! Delicious with a small amount of maple syrup (if you can handle just a little) or a bit of jam. Or they're great on their own.

Because it's basically equal amounts of the three main ingredients, you can make as much as you need.
YUMMMMMM!!!!! :p I never was so big into pancakes, but THESE, I love! They're so filling and so healthy and they taste like a treat! I eat mine with lowfat, low-sugar "maple" syrup and a couple of spritzes of I Can't Believe it's Not Butter spray. I might try adding mashed bananas sometime, but I've heard of others adding blueberries, strawberries and the like.

Try them!

That said, I'm nuts for just plain cottage cheese with pepper. I just love the stuff! Not so much with the fruit, though. :shrug:

sassyredneckgirl
03-14-2007, 12:04 AM
I love some sunflower seeds sprinkled on top of my cottage cheese..

cmbmom05
03-14-2007, 12:15 AM
You are all making me so hungry. *drool* Great ideas!

Katheryne
03-14-2007, 12:35 AM
I have 2/3s of a cup of cottage cheese every morning for breakfast. I chop up a hardboiled egg to mix in with it, and throw in a couple tablespoons of salsa. It's my favorite breakfast, and it's just about the only one I've had since I discovered it!

Cheryl14
03-14-2007, 12:37 AM
My husband's great-grandma used to make this. She passed down her recipe to her daughter who passed it down to HER daughter who showed me how to make it. If you like pierogies with sauteed onions you will LOVE this. It tastes a lot like pierogies with onions!

Saute several chopped onions in several tablespoons of butter. You can use sweet onions or red onions or whatever kind you have on hand. We LOVE onions, so I put in plenty. I sometimes cut them rather large and sometimes chop them smaller. Whatever you like is fine. While the onions are doing their thing in the pan, boil water and add several cups of macaroni. Cook according to package directions. Drain them and add the cooked macaroni to your onion and butter mixture. Add some salt and pepper to taste. Just before serving, add a large carton of cottage cheese to the macaroni and onion mixture. Mix in and serve. I usually serve it with a nice green salad.

You can use any cottage cheese that you want. I've used Fat-Free most of the time, but any will taste good! Enjoy!

Cheryl

Spinymouse
03-14-2007, 01:05 AM
this might not sound (or look) good but: with brown rice and whatever spices you like. Really, it tastes great!

Kamily828
03-14-2007, 08:58 AM
I mix cottage cheese with yogurt. It looks nasty but it tastes great.

Kae
03-14-2007, 11:27 AM
I mix it in my salads.... eat it plain... or chop up some cherry tomatoes and mix with a little seasoned salt.

bizlawchik
03-14-2007, 11:49 AM
Cheryl - Love the cottage cheese and noodles! It was one of my grandmother's dishes too. Total comfort food.

senorita
03-14-2007, 11:59 AM
Oh man, it goes so well with all sorts of food... but my absolute favourite way - which I actually have every day - is on a wholemeal bread sandwich with sliced tomatoes and cottage cheese. Try it, it's absolutely delicious!

NotTheCheat
03-14-2007, 12:36 PM
Here is a great cottage cheese resource:
http://www.stumptuous.com/cms/displayarticle.php?aid=23

Personally I love using it to make creamed spinach.

KO
03-14-2007, 12:41 PM
If your craving italian I put garlic powder and Italian seasoning and it tastes like the inside of lasagna! you can put grape tomatoes with it or a little pasta sauce

avsfan2
03-14-2007, 02:46 PM
It's really good in lasagna. You can use it in place of ricotta or a combo of both. It gives the lasagna a little "zip" to it. Yum!

sharonrr
03-14-2007, 03:27 PM
This may sound strange but try it before you make fun.
1/2 cup of cottage cheese with spinach, romaine, broccoli slaw, any vegetables wrap it up in a whole wheat tortilla. I love it. Great protein without the meat. You can season the cottage cheese with organic seasoning salt or not.

Spinymouse
03-17-2007, 11:07 PM
Here is a great cottage cheese resource:
http://www.stumptuous.com/cms/displayarticle.php?aid=23

Personally I love using it to make creamed spinach.

NotTheCheat - that is an awesome website. Thanks!

Dawn2Dusk
03-17-2007, 11:55 PM
Thank you for creating this topic, Shrinking Daisy! I've never tried cottage cheese (afraid of its appearance, lol) but I'm gonna give it a shot with some fruit. Lots of yummy sounding ideas!

SunshineRunner
11-11-2007, 10:00 PM
okay..posting in a really old topic, but hey - they are meant to be revived right? I like mine with applesauce...1/2 and 1/2....yum...really nasty looking but really good :) Preferably cinnamon applesauce. Or peaches...that is my back up.

Trazey34
11-11-2007, 10:07 PM
I'm a purist I guess - can't stand it mixed with anything yuck! haha maybe the salty with the sweet of fruit is the turn off? not sure... I can eat fruit AND cottage cheese, just not together LOL

I like my 1/2 cup serving in the morning, just alone...and if I have some at lunch it's with soup on the side and a really garlicky dill pickle :D

Pita09
11-11-2007, 10:50 PM
Great ideas! I will have to try my cottage cheese with things other than fruit.

I mostly eat it either with pineapple. I also love it with cantaloupe and black pepper.

TempleBody
11-11-2007, 11:39 PM
I like cottage cheese in place of a salad dressing and cooked with spinach. I don't mind a very tablespoons in my wraps either.

KO
11-12-2007, 12:09 AM
I love it on salad with some salty sunflower seeds! mmmmmm

nicolen
11-12-2007, 01:53 AM
I've posted this before, but it's too good not to share again.

Cottage cheese dolloped onto sliced cucumber with a good grinding of black pepper over the top. Yummy!

evilwomaniamshe
11-12-2007, 10:08 AM
I love my lowfat cottage cheese mixed with pickled beets and a dash of black better.
It makes a pretty fuschia color and oh so good....

jellybelly06
11-12-2007, 11:09 AM
I love cottage cheese! I also like it a lot of the ways already mentioned.

One of my new favorite ways is to toast 2 english muffin halfs. 1/4 cup of cottage cheese with chives and garlic that is purried. Spread it on the english muffins and put under the broiler until bubbling and starting to brown! Yum! Sometimes I also add peppers and mushroom, then it almost tastes like a white pizza! YUM!
Jelly

Schmoodle
11-12-2007, 11:14 AM
I love it with sliced cucumbers, salt and pepper, and some canned tuna for lunch. Or on a spinach salad with sunflower seeds sprinkled on top.
I also love the cottage cheese pancake. That's a SBD recipe and can be found in the Ph2 Breakfast ideas in the SB forum.

LittleMoonRabbit
11-12-2007, 11:44 AM
lol, I love the cottage cheese with chives, and I dip low fat wheat thins in them... a healthy version of chips and dip.

synger
11-13-2007, 12:01 PM
I have cottage cheese every morning for breakfast (good protein, low-fat, portable little cups). I used to eat it plain. Now I put a good shake or four of hot sauce in it and mix it up. YUM!

Another fave is a hard-cooked egg, mashed up with 1/4 cup of cottage cheese, with some onion salt or chopped scallion or chives, and a bit of mustard. Spread it on bread then broil until cheese browns. YUM!

Beverlyjoy
11-13-2007, 12:35 PM
I love cottage cheese......I often eat it with a sliced banana in the morning. Or I like it with canned peaches or pears.

I like with with crutons and tomatoes for lunch.

Some good ideas here.

Thanks, everyone.