LA Weight Loss - New Diet- Fiber35

View Full Version : New Diet- Fiber35

Bobbolink
03-13-2007, 12:00 PM
Has anyone started on the new diet, "The Fiber35"? I see a hard cover book out about it, the central theme is consuming at least 35 mg. of fiber daily. I'd be interested in any feed back about it.

Suzanne 3FC
03-13-2007, 01:10 PM
Increased fiber seems to be the theme in several new books this year. I've not read that book, but I picked up a flier on it at the health food store yesterday. I'm bothered by what seems to be the need to buy their fiber supplements to follow this diet. It seems like a catch. If you eat enough fruits, vegetables, and whole grains, you'll get more than enough fiber. If you want to buy fiber supplements for occasional use that's one thing. But to promote a diet plan which is designed to sell supplement products seems gimmicky. I could be wrong! I admit I've not read the book. Maybe the diet doesn't push fiber supplements. I'm basing my opinion on the marketing efforts of Fiber35 fiber supplement products and the timing of both of them.

There is another new diet book called the F-Factor which is also a high fiber diet recommending 35 grams daily. No supplements necessary. They say "The F-Factor diet does not recommend taking fiber supplements as a replacement for fiber rich foods. When you get fiber from foods, you also tap into the vitamins, minerals, and phytonutrients that come along for the ride. Experts believe that it is the synergy of all these nutrients, most of which aren't contained in fiber supplements, that promotes the most dramatic health benefits. "

ennay
03-13-2007, 03:11 PM
I havent read the book but I eat way more than 35 g of fiber daily and never ever take any supplements.

If you increase your fiber intake, you need to up your water intake as well. I went through a week of drinking too little water because I was busy and :o

and ramp up slowly or your body wont like you :dizzy:

I do have a larger calorie budget than most, but its really not that hard to get a lot of fiber for very little calories

Bobbolink
03-13-2007, 06:19 PM
Thanks Suzanne, I was just curious about the book. I didn't know you had to buy their supplements, not that it would matter to me. I'm a calorie counter and that's the only way I've ever lost weight. The fiber angle was interesting because I know adding fiber to my diet works. I average over 50 grams of fiber per day, some days it's in the 60"s. A couple of weeks ago I started eating "Fiber One" cereal 2 or 3 times a day and I lost 3.5 pounds in 10 days. I don't like it with milk, but I sprinkle it on salads, puddings, but mostly eat it dry like popcorn.
Hi ennay.........Haven't heard from you for awhile.

GinaXOXO
03-18-2007, 07:29 PM
I have started the Fiber35 diet and have lost 4 pounds in 6 days. I would like to lose about 36 more. Really, for me, the success of this diet hasn't been in the weight loss but in the energy I feel and how easy it has been. My only problem is that I need more recipes.

Anyway, she does talk about supplements but really I don't feel that is the basis of her diet at all. In the supplement chapter she talks about Omega 3's, multivitamins, calcium/magnesium and green tea. I really feel that is pretty normal and not anything special for this diet.

She also talks about supplements that are optional and "as needed" that are colon cleansing, sleeping (calcium and B vitamins and calming herbs), blood sugar support for cravings, and enzymes.

She says over and over "ideally you'll be getting your 35 grams of daily fiber from fresh fruits, vegetables, legumes, whole grains, bars, and shakes". She really seems to only offer the fiber supplements as an alternative when you are busy. They are wafers, bars, shakes, and a shaker.

I still haven't seen in the book where she mentions that we can buy anything from her. I just did another quick search of the book and I just don't see it.

I think the diet is great and fits me really well.

To the original poster. You are doing great!! Fiber is so healthy.

Gina

Bev
03-18-2007, 11:44 PM
I am just starting to follow this plan and I just ordered the book. I am hoping it will help me lose my last 15 lbs. At least I will be eatting more fiber like my doctor wants me to do.

Ginaxoxo- are you using any of the supplements? If you aren't do it find it hard without them.

bev

GinaXOXO
03-19-2007, 01:14 AM
Did you lose the 21 pounds doing the Fiber35 diet?? WOW! Great loss no matter how you did it.

No, I haven't used any supplements and I don't find it hard at all. I have always heard how great of a tool a journal is but until now I have been fighting the journal. I really think that is making it easy for me. If I have too many fat grams then I rethink the rest of the day to make it work. If I don't have enough fiber I try to figure out ways to get it.

Oh, I just realized that I should mention that I have always taken vitamins. I do take Omega's and a multi. Other than that I am not taking any supplements from the book. I wouldn't mind doing the colon cleanse.

I wonder why the book doesn't mention that there are "Fiber35" supplements. I would not mind knowing specifically what to take for the cleanse. I really think I need to do it. I really appreciate being able to do the cleanse while eating . . . I have tried the feasting cleanse's before and I just don't do it very well.

Can you tell me if you are using supplements?? If you are do you think it is helping?? IF it is helping can you tell me how??

Thanks!! Gina

Bobbolink
03-19-2007, 08:42 AM
Good Morning Gina & Bev!
I was the one asking about the Fiber35 book, I noticed it while waiting for a prescription at the drug store. I guess I'm already on the plan without knowing it. I'm a BIG BELIEVER IN FIBER, and I already take lots of supplements and fiber. I get most my fiber in by the Cereal "Fiber One". I love that stuff sprinkled over puddings, salads, eaten dry like popcorn. The other day I stirred a serving of Fiber One into chocolate pudding and topped with FF/SF Cool whip, yum!
I love it on top of applesauce and Cool whip too!.. I was thinking of starting a new thread with ideas of adding more Fiber One to foods. I did crunch them up and make mock graham cracker crust for a coconut cream pie, that was really delicious but decided to just top the pie with the sweetened crumb instead. Less work and they stay crunchy. Would you two be interested in such a thread? Everyone wouldn't necessarily have to be on the Fiber 35 diet like me, just make sure we're all getting at least 35 grams and plenty of water daily. Let me know and I'll put something together.
Like I said earlier, I average in the 50 and 60 grams per day and I find my last few pounds drop off at an astounding speed. I also stay at 1200 calories per day. It's taken me 14 weeks to lose close to 25 pounds. I actually started at 161 pounds, not 158. I give Fiber One the main reason I've lost consistently.
At far as cleansing, you can buy many natural cleansers in your local health food stores. Funny we're talking about this now, I'm scheduled for a colonoscopy today at 1:00 this afternoon and have been "Cleansing" since yesterday. I stepped on the scale this morning and see I'm down 3.5 pounds. Unfortunatly it won't stay off once I get my procedure done and start eating again. But I'm guessing I'll drop something because I couldn't eat all day yesterday and today.
Have a good one and hope to hear from both of you.

Bobbi :joker:

ellabella
03-19-2007, 09:50 AM
Hi All! I've been following this thread with interest, because once I made up my mind that I needed to get this extra weight off once and for all, it seemed to me that high fiber/low cal/low fat/plenty of water was the way to go. I've been doing it for about three weeks now, and have lost eight pounds. Sounds though, like I could up my fiber intake even more than I'm at currently (A cup of Fiber One in the AM w/skim milk (28 grams fiber/220 cal with 1/2 cup milk), a mid-morning apple, (4 grams fiber/80 cal) a high fiber/low cal pocket (4 grams fiber/60 cal) filled with chicken salad (home-made w/celery & light miracle whip), egg salad, tuna salad or some deli ham or turkey & salad greens, then another apple or a pear, sometimes, mid-afternoon, and some sort of lean meat, veggie - sometimes brown rice or a baked sweet potato for supper. And about 5 16-oz bottles of water throughout the day. I don't exactly count calories, which probably isn't the best idea, since I may be underestimating on some things. I WOULD like to see a little quicker results, and am wondering if you think upping the fiber even more (and water) might help?
I KNOW I'm being impatient, and that it took awhile to get this heavy and will take a while to get it off again, but it STILL seems sooooooo slow, doesn't it?
I, personally, would LOVE some ideas/recipes using Fiber ONE!
Thanks much!
Ellabella :wave:

rockinrobin
03-19-2007, 10:01 AM
As Bobbolink knows I am another big believer in fiber and of course Fiber One Cereal. It's just the greatest. I get at least 50 grams of fiber in a day.

Ellabella, why not check out Fitday.com for a day or 2, logging in all your calories, just to get an idea. Measure everything so you get a visual idea of what the "right sized portion" looks like.

Hungrygirl.com has lots of ideas using Fiber One Cereal. I use in place of croutons on all my salads. I add about a tablespoon of it to Danon Lite and Fit 60 calorie yogurt. I add it to jello 60 calorie sugar free pudding with a squirt of fat free whipped cream. I eat it plain and just munch on it. Berries also have lots of fiber and very little calories. Cauliflower and broccoli are also very good sources of fiber.

Bev
03-19-2007, 10:17 AM
Good Morning everyone,

I also would love a thread on increasing your fiber. The only supplements I use are benefiber and omega -3 fish oil. I only use benefiber occasionally.

Bobbi- I have read some of your post on the calorie counting thread with interest. I was always amazed by how much fiber you eat in one day. Do you have any problems with eatting so many grams of fiber? Because of all of your posts about Fiber 1 I picked some up the other day. I currently eat fiber 1 honey clusters for breakfast most morning. Good luck with your scope. I have not had one but my husband has had two of them. He hated taken all that medicine to empty yourself out.

Ginaxoxo- No I didn't lose the 21 lbs from fiber35( I just started that last week). Though I did increase my fiber while losing that weight.

ellabella- 8 lbs in 3 weeks is great. congrats. I also lose weight very slow so I can understand your feelings on that. It look me forever to just lose 21 lbs.

Bev

Bobbolink
03-19-2007, 11:11 AM
Oh Goody, lets do a special thread but we need to pool our ideas about a thread name. Not everyone will be on the Fiber35 plan so we should just use a general name like:
Fiber Chicks
Fiber One Posters
Fiber/Water Challengers
I'm not very good at picking unique names, give me your inspirations!
Ellabella... Looks like you're getting over 40 grams per day with what you just told us. I agree with Robin, check out Fitday and they do all the math for you.
Robin... Fancy meeting you here! You would be my first choice of supporting a fiber thread since you're so good at it. I don't know anything about Hungry Girl, thanks for the suggestion. I'll have to check out there recipes using Fiber One.
Bev... Bobbi- Do you have any problems with eatting so many grams of fiber? Because of all of your posts about Fiber 1 I picked some up the other day. I currently eat fiber 1 honey clusters for breakfast most morning. Good luck with your scope. I have not had one but my husband has had two of them. He hated taken all that medicine to empty yourself out.
No, I've never had problems with it. Probably because I'm a huge vegetable eater. I thought maybe when I increased my Fiber One to 2-3 times a day I would. But the only nice surprise was losing faster. The closer I got to goal, the less I lost. But the additional fiber kicked into gear again. I looked at the F.One honey clusters before but didn't buy it because they were more calories.
P.S. I hated all the meds to empty out too, I've been without food since 8:00 p.m. Saturday night. By the time my procedure is over it'll be over 40 hours. I'm going to eat a horse for supper tonight. This morning my scale told me I lost 3.5 pounds of "You Know What"
I'll check in later as to new names, right now I'm going to check out Robins Hungry Girl site. Well, maybe I shouldn't look at recipes right now, I might be tempted to eat my keyboard! :rofl:

rockinrobin
03-19-2007, 11:15 AM
OMG Bobbo. 40 hours, I've never heard of that. Isn't that really, really long? Well good luck to you love, I know you'll come out of it just fine. Afterall with all that fiber, things have got to be perfectly up to snuff.

As far as a name: How about Fiber Fantatics?

Bobbolink
03-19-2007, 12:08 PM
Robin... O.K. I couldn't help myself from checking out the Hungry Girl site. I see they have lots going, do you weigh in there every week? I could only find one recipe using Fiber One, I just punched in F.One in the search. What are some of the recipes you've found? I like the name, "Fiber Fantastics" You missed the "s"or did you mean to spell it like that?
http://www.hungry-girl.com/sectionimg/spacer.gif**EXCLUSIVE HG RECIPE FROM TANYA!

Fiber-licious Bean Dip
(*1/4th recipe without garnish or cheese: Approx. 110 - 120 calories, 0.5g fat, 935mg sodium, 31g carbs, 13g fiber, 2.5g sugars, 6g protein = 1 - 2 Points)

Although beans are naturally a good source of fiber, adding Fiber One cereal to this dip gives it an extra fiber boost. No one will ever guess that there is cereal in this creamy dip! This is delicious served with baked tortilla chips and cut-up veggies.

Ingredients:
1 15-oz. can of black beans
1 cup Fiber One cereal
1 cup salsa
2 garlic cloves; chopped
1⁄4 tsp. each salt, cumin, chili powder
1 tbsp. fresh cilantro
Garnish: fat-free sour cream, chopped scallions and tomato
Optional: 1⁄2 cup fat-free shredded cheese

Directions:
http://admin.hungry-girl.com/banner/21972197ffactor2.jpg
Place all ingredients in a blender and blend until well mixed; if you prefer the bean dip cheesy, add shredded cheese to the mixture once its blended. Place the mixture in a microwave-safe bowl and heat on high for 2 minutes, or until hot. Serves 4!

MAGGIELINA
03-19-2007, 12:41 PM
Hi, I Wanted To Ask You How Do You Know The Fiber Content For Each Item (like Fruits And Vegetables)? Is There Like A Chart Or Something? I Really Need To Find A Healthy Way Of Losing Weight And Keeping It Of (it Seems I'm The Queen Of Yo-yo Diets!!) And It Sounds To Me Like Increasing The Fiber Content, And Eating Healthy Foods Would Be A Great Start.

Thanks For Sharing,

Maggie

alinnell
03-19-2007, 12:47 PM
This is too funny! My MIL was saying just yesterday that she heard she needed to eat more fiber. I told her about all of Bobbi's suggestions with different ways to eat Fiber One cereal. I think she's going to give it a try. She eats a lot of salads and will try the cereal for breakfast and put it on her salad. I'm going to start watching my fiber intake without doing anything different to see what kind of numbers I am getting.

Bobbolink
03-19-2007, 01:54 PM
Hi.............Go to Fitday and it does all the work for you.

rai
03-19-2007, 04:36 PM
I would like a thread with different ways of using fiber one or other cereals. Oh yeah, Hungry girl has a recipe for "fried shrimp" using Fiber One.

I also like the name Fiber Fanatics.

rockinrobin
03-19-2007, 07:54 PM
Oh G-d Bobbo, I had a MAJOR typo there. I meant to say "Fiber Fanatics", not FANTASTICS. "Fiber Fanatics".

Go to hungrygirl.com and type in Fiber One Cereal and about a dozen or so different things pop up. Click on them and you'll find stuff in there.

Maggielina, there are a few websites that will tell you fiber content and many other informative things. Fitday.com and nutritiondata.com are 2 that I like.

MAGGIELINA
03-19-2007, 09:59 PM
Thanks!! I'll buy the book and try this diet, so I'll be around: today I bought the fiber one cereal for starters!!! (LOL) and started reading the labels to give me an idea about fiber contents. It looks like I'll have to get used to eating lots of the cereal, though....

Maggie

walking2lose
03-19-2007, 10:43 PM
Hi Bobbi, Robin, and everyone! The Fiber thread sounds cool... I like FIBER FANATICS (I think that's what Robin meant?). Or, maybe the Fantastic Fiber Fanatics... either way, both are very alliterative names!

Anyway, like I said on the calorie thread, I think my increase in fiber (and cutting out those daily almonds) really helped me budge from my 3 week plateau. It felt so good to see the needle dip below 140 lbs! So, I have the two of you to thank for suggesting the fiber and cutting out the almonds.

Looking forward to a new healthy thread!

walking2lose
03-19-2007, 10:46 PM
Oops... just realized I missed Robin's last thread correcting herself on the name.

Bev
03-19-2007, 11:32 PM
I also like the name FIBER FANATICS. I also found fiber one bars at the grocery store with 9 grams of fiber. They are pretty good.

Bev

GinaXOXO
03-20-2007, 12:54 AM
I love it!

Wow! We already have a great group!! I feel really bad reading all of your tips. I think I am going to the on the receiving end of this because I am a rookie and don't have a lot of insight. Sorry!! Anyway, I was hoping as I was reading the posts that it would be Fiber Fanatics. I love it!!

Bobbi, I would love to start a Fiber35 group!! I agree that everyone can follow their own diet. I can't wait to help you celebrate making goal!!

Are there different types of Fiber 1 cereal?? I have never thought of putting it with pudding. I think I would like the crunch. Actually, I tried Fiber 1 and didn't like it with milk but until now I didn't realize there were other ways of using it (duh!)

I got the colon cleanse from Amazon today. I hope it comes with directions.

Good luck with your exam today.

Ellabella: do what works for you. I think your loss is FANTASTIC!! But you are the one who knows if you can make the changes and stick with it.

RockinRobin (Robin??):: I really admire you for losing over 100 pounds. Way to go! I will check out hungrygirl . . . I forgot about her.

Maggie: I have a biggest loser calorie count book that I carry with me. I watch fat grams and fiber grams while being mindful of calories. All of those counts are on there.

Bev: I am not sure what this means but initially when I was picking my weight measurer signature I was going to use the exact same as you but got lazy and just picked the hearts. Fiber sister???

Question/Request: Could we all pick a partner that we need to keep an eye on and if that person seems to fall off the face of the earth their partner could email them with a little encouragement or support. I think it is a great thing that will keep us together and focused. I guess that is a lot like AA isn't it? I guess I am not sure, let me know if you like the idea.

Gina

Bobbolink
03-20-2007, 08:32 AM
Looks like we're in business and we all seem to agree on Robin's title, ~FIBER FANATICS~. I'll put a header together to invite others and start a new post called
~FIBER FANATICS~ sometime today. That way everyone can post, no matter what kind of plan we're using.
See ya all later,

Bobbolink
03-20-2007, 09:33 AM
O.K. Girls, since this is started by all of you lets have some imput on the header I made. Too much information? Anything anyone wants to add, substract? I don't know how long this thread will get, if it's too long we'll make it a monthly thread. Whoever gets up first can start it, just copy/print the header so new people will know what it's about. I have tough skin so please feel free to edit.
Bobbi
I just did a "preview post" and I can see already it's too long. We need to filter out some stuff. Let's edit this!

~FIBER FANATICS~

This thread focuses on foods high in fiber that fill you up and help with weigh loss. Fiber fills the stomach, thereby reducing appetite.
We welcome everyone with tips, recipes, support and general conversation. Wed love to hear how the boosting of fiber has helped you consistently lose weigh. We'll report our fiber count daily or weekly, whatever works best for you.
High-fiber foods generally require more chewing time, which gives your body time to register when you're no longer hungry, so you're less likely to overeat. Also, a high-fiber diet tends to make a meal feel larger and linger longer, so you stay full for a greater amount of time. And high-fiber diets tend to be less "energy dense," which means they have fewer calories for the same volume of food.
Fiber works by speeding up the time it takes food to pass through the large intestines, thereby diluting toxic and carcinogenic compounds. Plus, dietary fiber is helpful for those who want to lose weight, since fiber absorbs water so you feel full and satisfied throughout the day. Adding fiber to your diet can help improve your eating habits, which can lead to weight loss and more energy!
The typical adult consumes less than 20 grams of fiber per day. This is about 50% of the recommended amount of dietary fiber for good health.Eat Fiber to Lose Body Fat
If your goal is to lose body fat, increasing your fiber intake can help in three ways:
*High fiber foods can help control appetite by reducing insulin levels in the blood, a hormone that stimulates appetitethe body uses more energy to digest and absorb high fiber foods than refined or low fiber foods - burns more calories
*High fiber foods are filling but are low in fat (many are fat free

Ruthxxx
03-20-2007, 09:36 AM
Great idea, Bobbolink. I'm already a Fiber Fanatic who aims for 30+ grams per day. (It helps to have had your mother and all her siblings die of colon cancer. :( ) I am going to order the book today for more ideas.

Fibre One (or is it Fiber One?) is great stuff. So are Bran Buds. I have a BB "sundae" for breakfast most mornings - 1/3 cup Buds, 1/2 c sf/ff yogurt and some fruit like blueberries or dried apricots. 164 calories and you already have 14 to 15 grams of fiber!

As most folks have said though, be sure to drink your water!

GinaXOXO
03-20-2007, 10:57 AM
We welcome everyone with tips, recipes, support and general conversation. Wed love to hear how the boosting of fiber has helped you consistently lose weigh. We'll report our fiber count daily or weekly, whatever works best for you.

High-fiber foods:

:) Generally require more chewing time giving your body time to register when you're no longer hungry, so you're less likely to overeat.

:) Tends to make a meal feel larger and linger longer, so you stay full for a greater amount of time.

:) Less "energy dense," which means they have fewer calories for the same volume of food.

:) Speeding up the time it takes food to pass through the large intestines, thereby diluting toxic and carcinogenic compounds

:) Helpful for those who want to lose weight, since fiber absorbs water so you feel full and satisfied throughout the day.

:) Can help improve your eating habits, which can lead to weight loss and more energy!

If your goal is to lose body fat, increasing your fiber intake can help in three ways:

The typical adult consumes less than 20 grams of fiber per day. This is about 50% of the recommended amount of dietary fiber for good health.Eat Fiber to Lose Body Fat.

High fiber foods can help control appetite by reducing insulin levels in the blood, a hormone that stimulates appetite.
The body uses more energy to digest and absorb high fiber foods than refined or low fiber foods - burns more calories
High fiber foods are filling but are low in fat (many are fat free)

Suzanne 3FC
03-20-2007, 11:03 AM
I like Fiber One Honey Cluster cereal. It contains 15 grams of fiber per serving, and it's not twiggy :)

GinaXOXO
03-20-2007, 11:09 AM
Breakfast is really easy for me. I love oatmeal and throw in an orange or something and I have a high fiber breakfast. (normally 11-12 grams)

Lunch is either left overs or a can of soup. I only have 30 minutes and take my puppy for a walk so it has to be quick. I like bean with ham and it has 8 or nine grams of fiber and is also low fat. I know it has a lot of sodium but it probably isn't a bad trade off, right. Also, I miss saltines. I have seen whole wheat saltines . . . does anyone know if they are worth it??

Dinner is where I struggle. I didn't know that potatoes weren't ok . . . I re-read parts of fiber35 last night and realized that. Normally, I try to use WW pasta and either make a mac and cheese or spaghetti sauce. I have also made recipes with beans and whole wheat tortillas.

Any ideas for a high fiber cookbook?? We are so very plain . . . most of the recipes in the book are too "crazy" for us.

For snacks I have a fruit (orange is my favorite) but now I will probably have some pudding with fiber 1. That sounds pretty good!!

Don't worry . . . I have some milk and vegetables.

Thanks. Gina

MAGGIELINA
03-20-2007, 01:51 PM
Gina: I liked the second banner, although but are great, it`s just that the second reads easier I think...

Well, I started the diet today and hopefully will have great results to report soon. I still need to go through a lot of info, and make lists with fiber contents, etc, Once I figure out the whole method, I'll try and post some recipes. Thanks for the support!!

Maggie

http://www.3fatchicks.net/img/bar-chicks/cartoonstar01/kg/75/60/75/.png (http://www.3fatchicks.com/weight-tracker/)

Bobbolink
03-20-2007, 01:55 PM
Thanks Gina.....I tweaked it and re-arranged it, I thought the print was hard to read but you gotta remember I'm a grama!
I want to wait until I hear from everyone else before I offically post it on a new thread.

We welcome everyone with tips, recipes, support and general conversation. We’d love to hear how the boosting of fiber has helped you consistently lose weigh. We'll report our fiber count daily or weekly, whatever works best for you.

The typical adult consumes less than 20 grams of fiber per day. This is about 50% of the recommended amount of dietary fiber for good health.Eat Fiber to Lose Body Fat.

High fiber foods can help control appetite by reducing insulin levels in the blood, a hormone that stimulates appetite.
The body uses more energy to digest and absorb high fiber foods than refined or low fiber foods - burns more calories
High fiber foods are filling but are low in fat (many are fat free)High-fiber foods:

:) Generally require more chewing time giving your body time to register when you're no longer hungry, so you're less likely to overeat.

:)Tends to make a meal feel larger and linger longer, so you stay full for a greater amount of time.

:) Less "energy dense," which means they have fewer calories for the same volume of food.

:) Speeding up the time it takes food to pass through the large intestines, thereby diluting toxic and carcinogenic compounds

:) Helpful for those who want to lose weight, since fiber absorbs water so you feel full and satisfied throughout the day.

:) Can help improve your eating habits, which can lead to weight loss and more energy!

nelie
03-20-2007, 02:16 PM
Hi all :)

I figured I'd pop my head in here as well because I am a fiber believer. Although I was wondering what other cereals are like Fiber one but don't have artificial sweeteners? Preferably no sweeteners? I was thinking of maybe looking at Whole Foods to see if they had any similar cereals.

For breakfast every day, I have a shake that has about 7 grams of fiber. I usually eat a cup of carrots every day, I usually have 2-3 servings of beans every day, I also eat 3-4 servings of other veggies everyday as well.

Beans are great for fiber as well as veggies. Having a stable blood sugar plus the feeling of fullness helps a lot when losing weight.

meowee
03-20-2007, 02:32 PM
Hi Gang . . .

Another firm "fibre fanatic" here . . . I'm a Diabetic and the current recommendation for diabetics is even more fibre than for the general public and I try to get an average of 50 grams a day. Since carbs and fibre have to go hand in hand, that does mean a fairly high carb intake, but for a diabetic Net (or Useable) Carbs are what is stressed by both the CDA and ADA (Canadian and American Diabetic Associations).

Anyway, Bobbolink . . . I'm a grandmother too and about to have cataract surgery tomorrow, so you know I've got a few eye problems too, and I just wanted to say that I don't think you need to make your intro that big; but the information contained in it is good. You do have a couple of little places where your typeface is inconsistent that you might want to tidy up. Other than that, go for it, girl. . . :hug:

Anyway, gang I'll be looking forward to joining all of you in FIBRE FANATICS sorry :joker: that's FIBER FANATICS . . . we canuks spell funny, you know . . . :D

Hope everybody has a great moving and shaking day on the go . . . see you soon . . . :carrot:

meowee
03-20-2007, 02:35 PM
Oh NELIE . . . good old ALL BRAN is just about as high as Fibre/Fiber One . . . and it is sweetened with sugar (I've yet to come across one that wasn't sweetened at all) You can also buy plain old Wheat Bran in packages to add to other stuff and it's really cheap . . . look in the baking section.

. . . other than that you are on the right track with lots of beans and veggies. :hug:

And . . . as mentioned before . . . don't forget the water.

meowee
03-20-2007, 02:47 PM
Who do see more than me . . . :o

Just wanted to mention that there are two main types of fibre and both are important and both can be counted as fibre in that the body does not digest them.

Soluble Fibre is found predominantly in Fruits and in Oatmeal. It works like a 'sponge', soaking up water in your intenstines and helping to keep you feeling full longer.

Insoluble Fibre is basically the old-fashioned "roughage" and is found predominantly in whole wheat type grains (that's the kind in Fibre One) and veggies. It works like a 'broom' and helps to keep things moving (if you know what I mean).

TATAFN . . . :carrot:

walking2lose
03-20-2007, 02:51 PM
Hi gang,

The first time I bought Fiber One, I read the nutrition info on any cereal that looked or sounded healthy... I wanted to see the fiber content and compare ingredients. Yes, I was in the cereal aisle for a long time! Anyway, I would have to go back to make sure I'm 100% sure, but I seem to remember that one of the first few ingredients in All Bran was HFCS!!!!! I remember it because I was so shocked that a cereal that appears to be such a healthy choice has HFCS. I'm not a whole foods purist, but I do try to avoid HFCS's whenever I can.

Meow -- if you have a box at home, feel free to correct me. I just seem to remember that it was All Bran with the HFCS.

Also, Nelie -- the Fiber One Flakes have no artificial sweetners. It has brown sugar and maybe corn syrup - not great either, but not as bad as HFCS. What I've been doing is making up little baggies with one serving Fiber One (1/2 c) and 1/2 serving of Flakes. That's over 20 grams of fiber just for that one little snack... not bad at all and tasty too!

I'm not crazy about the idea of the artificial sweetners either, but I do use them. I like to put a little splenda in my coffee. I know if I have a day when I drink more coffee than usual (thus having more splenda), I get really bloated. Yech...it's a terrible feeling. So, that seems to be at least one side effect for me --I know it would be better not to have it, I'm seeing it as the lesser of two evils... that's what is working for me right now. I'm just trying to keep my use of artificial sweetners in moderation.

Also, I've gotten so hooked on Fiber One in last couple weeks, I actually think I'd have a tough time giving it up! It is so yummy! But if you find any other options, please do let us know.

Bobbolink
03-20-2007, 03:00 PM
Meowee, the suggestions were welcomed, I changed the font on the one section and that was a typo error on the name, it's Fiber Fanatics. I wish you good luck tomorrow on your surgery.

1. High fiber foods can help control appetite by reducing insulin
levels in the blood, a hormone that stimulates appetites.
2. The body uses more energy to digest and absorb high fiber
foods than refined or low fiber foods (burns more calories)
3. High fiber foods are filling but low in fat (many are fat free)

High Fiber Foods:

:)Tends to make a meal feel larger and linger longer, so you stay full for a greater amount of time.

nelie
03-20-2007, 03:15 PM
Walking - Thanks for the info. I do snack on some cereals from time to time but they are shredded wheat and Trader Joe's fiber O's. I think the fiber o's have some form of sugar in them but it is minimal. I do try to limit sweeteners as much as possible and aspartame is the one I'm least a fan of so I try to avoid that one at all costs. I think they do need to make food for people like me who want no sweeteners but it is a fantasy world :)

Ruthxxx
03-20-2007, 03:28 PM
Just checked Fiber One (Kellogs) and there is no sugar in the regular. A half cup is 59 cals and 24.3 carbs of which 14.4 are fiber.

However, for my newest craze, Bran Buds, a 1/3 cup is 75 cals and 25 carbs of which 12.9 are fibre and 8.1 are sugar! :yikes: I guess it's back to Fiber One for me!

rockinrobin
03-20-2007, 03:33 PM
Nelie, Kashi Go Lean cereal has 10 gms of fiber per serving AND 13 gms of protein, not too shabby.

walking2lose
03-20-2007, 03:40 PM
Nelie- I know what you mean about the fantasy world (we don't want artificial sweetners, but just less healthier sweetners like honey, raw sugar, etc.), but looking on the bright side, foods are getting healthier and healthier. I mean, there is PLENTY of JUNK out there, but there are healthy options too. It feels sort of empowering to be educated about what is good and what is not, and even if choices are not all ideal, at least to have more options than we used to. BTW, I firmly believe the biggest reason behind what kind of sweetners are used is COST followed by what the public wants. Since a large percentage of the public doesn't care or doesn't know the difference, companies can get away with putting a lot of crap in foods. It's interesting that trans fats and HFCS are now getting so much negative attention. I think education is the key to change, and I do believe, slowly but surely people are getting educated... and slowly but surely we are seeing food options changing for the better.

I'm going to TJ's with hubby tomorrow evening. I will definitely check out their Fiber O's. Who knows, I might just stand on the aisle reading all of the boxes to see what I like!

Meow - yes - good luck on your cataract surgery tomorrow. I forgot to say that before. :o My father in law had that last year and this year (in Feb) he had a corneal transplant. Wow. I'm sure you will be glad to get it over with. I hope it goes well!

walking2lose
03-20-2007, 03:43 PM
Robin - We posted at the same time. Yea, Kashi! I have not had that in a long time, and I didn't know it had sooo much fiber. Good idea.

For now, I'm really enjoying my Fiber One. Too bad it has aparatame, but I'm still eating it. It's the only aparatame that I'm eating that I'm aware, so I hope that little bit isn't too bad for me. I've gotten addicted to it. Who knows, maybe they will come out with Fiber One with splenda?

nelie
03-20-2007, 04:08 PM
Just checked Fiber One (Kellogs) and there is no sugar in the regular. A half cup is 59 cals and 24.3 carbs of which 14.4 are fiber.

However, for my newest craze, Bran Buds, a 1/3 cup is 75 cals and 25 carbs of which 12.9 are fibre and 8.1 are sugar! :yikes: I guess it's back to Fiber One for me!

Ruth, out of curiosity (since it is canadian), does it have any sweeteners? I'm curious if they would market a different version to canada.

GinaXOXO
03-20-2007, 04:53 PM
It is great that you are starting today. If you have questions please ask.

I have mentioned that I have a book that has all of the food counts . . . I love it! I know there are places on the web too but I like the simplicity of having my handy dandy book.

It is taking me a little time to get familiar with how to get enough fiber and putting together my meals and snacks.

Sorry! I started this and didn't finish it so it could be a little untimely.

GIna

meowee
03-20-2007, 05:46 PM
Hi again . . .

My bottom line with most things is "all things in moderation". I know HFCS is the latest thing getting a really nasty reputation and I agree it should be avoided as much as possible; the same with most artificial sweetners; and the same with 'real' sugar (just empty calories - and especially bad for diabetics). Unfortunately, there is getting to be very little we can safely eat and just when you think you've found something; somebody comes along and says that it is suddenly also on the 'nasty' list.

BTW . . . HFCS does not show up on labels in Canada . . . it is called Glucose-Fructose or Fructose-Glucose and is listed as a separate item from Glucose and/or Fructose (in other words, you might find all three on the ingredient list). Other than the labelling requirements, the actual ingredients in any "international" (i.e., US) brands are the same here. Actually I don't eat All-Bran . . . I prefer a Canadian brand called Fibre First (Loblaws/Zhers/SuperStore brand) that does have sugar in it. What I like about it is that it is made from mixed brans rather than just wheat and I prefer the taste. I sometimes eat Fibre One, but find it a little coarser and 'tougher' (for lack of a better word) in texture.

Also . . . did you all know that there is a very comprehensive listing of over 7000 foods here on 3FC and it definately shows the fibre content for everything and a whole bunch more; including the ED (Energy Density). Here is a link . . . http://www.3fatchicks.com/food-calorie-counts/ . . . something to keep handy.

Lately, I've been snacking on Puffed Wheat . . . it contains Whole Wheat and absolutely nothing else . . . 1 cup is 11 carbs but only about 1 gram of fibre . . . but of course, it's only 45 calories too and gives you lots to nibble on. :D

Later . . . gators . . . :carrot:

Bev
03-20-2007, 06:22 PM
I can't believe how this thread has taken off.

My favorite cereal is fiber one honey clusters. I have bought fiber one but have not tryed it yet. I probably will not eat it with milk but mixed with other things like my yogurt or to snack on as I am waiting for my son at school. So far today I have had 32 grams of fiber and for me that is a good day. I do believe I will get in more than the 35 grams since I still have dinner. I am hoping with increasing my fiber I will be able to lose my last 15 lbs. Breakfast and lunch are usually easy for me. Dinner and snacking is where I have the problems. I am a big time snacker.

My new find at the grocery store is the fiber one bars that have 9 grams of fiber. They even taste good too.

bev

walking2lose
03-20-2007, 06:43 PM
Oooo... Fiber One Bars? Now, I have to ask. What kind of sweetner do they have? I haven't seen them, but then again, I haven't been looking!

Meow -- I definitely agree about the moderation thing. If I lived in Canada, I would try the Fiber First :eating2:

GinaXOXO
03-20-2007, 07:16 PM
I think your intro looks great. Moving the section with the 3 points of how fiber helps with WL seems so obvious now, ;)

I am doing good. I am really having a hard time with dinner. Does anyone have any recipes or cookbooks they think will help?? Remember we are plain jane-ers. Maybe that is the problem??

I have a cookbook called Magic Beans that came today. I haven't had a change to look yet. I have seem some GI cookbooks on amazon and also diabetic books. I have to believe they would be high fiber and low fat, right??

Gina

Bev
03-20-2007, 07:59 PM
I am not sure what type of sweetner the bars use but the first ingredient is chicory root extract ( what is that?) . Ok I found the sweetner, it is high maltose corn syrup.

meowee
03-20-2007, 09:26 PM
Hi Gang . . . I'm back . . . actually just about on my way to bed . . . It's after 9:00 here in Atlantic time and I have to get up pretty early to get to the hospital for 6:30 a.m. - UGH.

Don't know if I'll be around here tomorrow or not, but since this is the end of my week, I thought I'd provide my total intake of nutrients.

Average Daily for week ending March 21/07:
Total Calories = 1644.4;
Grams of Fat = 46.1;
Grams of Carbs = 200.8;
Grams of Protein = 106.5;
Grams of Fibre = 53.7;
Net Grams of Carbs = 147.1

I have more information, but I think this is already more than was being discussed in the earlier posts in this thread. I use a home-made excel program to track just about everything on a daily basis and then average it all out over the week. Don't know just what we are going to track in the long term, but here is my input for this week.

Regarding cookbooks . . . I'm a collector. Have well over 300 at most recent count. From the point of view of good GI and good carbs; good fibre; low fat -- I recommend anything by Sandra Woodruff. Take a look at what's available on Amazon (and don't forget to use the "Store" link through 3FC).

Toodles

Bobbolink
03-20-2007, 10:04 PM
We're going to have a great group on the new thread, we've already had 50 posts and it's been viewed by 446 people. Tomorrow morning I'll post the new thread under the name ~Fiber Fanatics~ and some of you might want to copy/paste your posts. They were all so informative! Some of the thoughts should be repeated.
I asked if we could be posted in the sub titles with the calories counters, Oprah, etc. groups and I haven't heard back from them yet. So tomorrow just look under the General Diet Plans and you'll find us.

GinaXOXO
03-21-2007, 01:04 PM
Thread closed

Go to Fiber Fanatics to check in.

meowee
03-21-2007, 04:14 PM
Here's a link to FIBER FANATICS . . .

. . . http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=107737 . . .

I'll get this one closed.