100 lb. Club - What can't you do?

View Full Version : What can't you do?

LivingWater
03-12-2007, 07:38 PM
Alright, I've done a thread similiar to this one but it's been a while and I need another reminder...

So, what can't you do when you're overweight? Can't, as in physically and mentally. Things that you don't do, because of the weight.

1. Swim. I wouldn't be caught dead in a suit right now.
2. Wear a dress. Why, none my size are worth the buy!
3. Wear heels. They hurt.
4. Be in pictures.
5. Ride- I'd break the horse's back. :(
6. Anything on stage.

Man, the food is not worth it... Time to get back in the saddle again (literally!).

SexyRevealed
03-12-2007, 07:48 PM
Wow, all of your can'ts are pretty much mine. I LOVE to swim, but yeah right. I love dresses and heels, but again, yeah right. And I hate pictures, because the camera doesn't lie. Great motivation! I WANT to do these things. :)

jillybean720
03-12-2007, 08:03 PM
Go to an amusement park and confidently ride ALL the rides without fear of not fitting in the seat/restraint. I haven't been on a roller coaster in YEARS because of this :(

nelie
03-12-2007, 08:11 PM
Nothing I can't do :) Well there are things I won't do like jump out of an airplane. I can swim though, wear heels, have pictures taken of me, etc.

Neko
03-12-2007, 08:25 PM
So, what can't you do when you're overweight? Can't, as in physically and mentally. Things that you don't do, because of the weight.
1. Swim. I wouldn't be caught dead in a suit right now.
2. Wear a dress. Why, none my size are worth the buy!
3. Wear heels. They hurt.
4. Be in pictures.
5. Ride- I'd break the horse's back. :(
6. Anything on stage.

Heels hurt at any weight.

The only thing I can't do at my weight is look graceful doing yoga. I'm not sure it will ever be possible. :dizzy:

Dawn2Dusk
03-12-2007, 08:44 PM
Ditto on the heels and swimming. Well, I can't swim anyway. But if I could, I probably wouldn't. Heels pretty much kill me.

The rides, too. I'm dying to go to Six Flags with my boyfriend but I'm too self-conscious and there's the nagging fear that I might not fit into some (if not all) of the rides. *Sigh* Maybe next summer, hopefully.

royalsfan1
03-12-2007, 09:06 PM
Sit comfortably at a baseball game...stadium seating wasn't designed for someone my size. Hence, my Baseball Opening Day mini goal! We visit a few stadiums each year and this year I want to be comfortable!

shelby897
03-12-2007, 09:06 PM
I can't be myself :( -- I am a very outgoing person but since I've gained weight I find myself introverting, due to my appearance.

I can't play with my kids like I want to (but this is getting better :) )
I can't comfortably get undressed in front of my SO without the lights off :dizzy:
I can't try on clothes at a store without getting sad :(
I can't wear a cute bathing suit.
But, these will all change soon for all of us!!!

LivingWater
03-13-2007, 12:31 AM
Amusement park rides! Totally! Last year I went to Six Flags. I carefully selected each ride, everything depending on whether or not I could fit. One ride I couldn't fit into. At this weight on my ticker. My chest was too big, they couldn't fit the bar over it. However, my husband who weighed ten pounds more, fit just fine. I was so embarressed... NEVER AGAIN!

busysinglemom
03-13-2007, 06:43 AM
I agree with all of these. Cedar Point was a little bit tough with my son last summer. Not too bad, though, because he's so young.

I think we're missing the bigger don't here. Who has skipped a doctor's appointment because you didn't want to step on the scale in the office? I have. I waited until I was coughing up blood to go in. STUPID STUPID STUPID. Good thing it was just a resp infection.

penor
03-13-2007, 06:48 AM
The roller coasters. The last time I rode one I told the kid who was doing the bar,"Go ahead and push it down,fat squishes." He laughed,I laughed but I never got on another roller coaster. I have an almost 13 y.o. girl who has to ride alone because DH won't ride and I can't.
Swimming,playing with the kids,riding a bike...the rest of my family rides every summer and my butt is just too big to be comfortable on the seat. Oh and Omnimax. The last time I went I tried to sit in the middle...those seats are much smaller thamn the end seats. We had to move because my butt wasn't going to go in. On an end seat I fit but was horribly uncomfortable.
Gosh there's some motivation for ya' huh?(lol)

zoritsa
03-13-2007, 11:41 AM
The roller coasters. The last time I rode one I told the kid who was doing the bar,"Go ahead and push it down,fat squishes." He laughed,I laughed but I never got on another roller coaster. I have an almost 13 y.o. girl who has to ride alone because DH won't ride and I can't.
Swimming,playing with the kids,riding a bike...the rest of my family rides every summer and my butt is just too big to be comfortable on the seat. Oh and Omnimax. The last time I went I tried to sit in the middle...those seats are much smaller thamn the end seats. We had to move because my butt wasn't going to go in. On an end seat I fit but was horribly uncomfortable.
Gosh there's some motivation for ya' huh?(lol)

I'm with you on the rides.I feel so bad for my son when he asks(haven't gone to a big amusement park yet,just the small ones)me or my husband to go on with him.I just can't put myself out there yet to try and see if I'll fit :( On the bike rides though...I went out and bought myself a new bike,and a seat that would fit my arse as well.I also lug around my(last year 4 yr.old,this yr 5)son on a http://www.rybabikes.com/tag.html(similar,but never know what to call it) .So,I didn't mind getting a bigger seat,since now we can go out and head places without having to get in the car.

My "dont's"(cant really cant's because I can on most) are:
1.Snow skiing...the rental boots are killer on my fat calves
2.Dresses...just don't like the styles and how they look on me
3.The beach...yeah,me in a swimsuit,ha!I will swim at my friends though

GirlyGirlSebas
03-13-2007, 11:48 AM
I can't be myself :( -- I am a very outgoing person but since I've gained weight I find myself introverting, due to my appearance.

I can't play with my kids like I want to (but this is getting better :) )
I can't comfortably get undressed in front of my SO without the lights off :dizzy:
I can't try on clothes at a store without getting sad :(
I can't wear a cute bathing suit.
But, these will all change soon for all of us!!!

OMG! You wrote my post for me!!! :rofl: It is uncanny how alike we are.

LisaMarie71
03-13-2007, 12:27 PM
When I first saw this post, I avoided it because I thought it was a bit negative to think about things we can't do. But then I read it and I thought...this is actually quite inspiring!! It's great to talk about the stuff we struggle with now, so we can look forward to a time when those things are NOT struggles. It's hard to just ignore the fact that some things ARE more difficult when you're considerably overweight, and it's inspiring to think about how committing to our goals will eliminate some of those difficulties from our lives! So thanks for posting this!!

Here's a list of stuff I couldn't do at 275:

*fit comfortably in a student desk in my classroom
*ride the swings at an amusement park without one of those "extender" thingies (embarrassing)
*run or jog for more than one or two minutes without practically collapsing
*breathe comfortably going up stairs or walking a reasonable distance
*go to social gatherings without feeling bad for being the biggest person in the room
*feel proud next to my good looking husband instead of feeling like people wonder why he's with me

Now I feel confident and proud, I can fit in normal-size desks and seats, and I can run for over an hour straight. Is there stuff I still can't do? Sure. I still wouldn't be caught dead in a swimsuit. I still can't tuck a shirt into my pants without worrying that everyone is marveling at the enormity of my stomach. I still can't go sleeveless. But I feel fantastic.

kaplods
03-13-2007, 12:36 PM
I've been very heavy all of my life, and I LOVE swimming, so I got over my fear of being seen in a swimming suit (at least once I'm in the water, I know it's transparent, but I feel appropriately "covered" in the water). There are so many things that I truly can't do because of my weight and health issues, that I'm learning to overcome my "cant's" that are mental barriers not physical.

Last summer my husband and I bought bikes. This was a big TEST of my new outlook, because it was much worse than swimming - no protective water - so I felt ridiculous riding the bike at first. I was imagining anyone who saw me laughing or puking. I don't know any of the neighbors (a very ritzy neighborhood on the lake - our reasonable rent apartment building definitely is out of place), so I felt both more self-conscious and less (at least I wouldn't run into anyone I knew). Surprisingly, these "snooty" (my prejudice) neighbors didn't laugh (at least not to my face, which is all I care about), they even started to smile and wave (especially the middle-aged morning walkers), and by the end of summer I was even comfortable enough to stop at a neighbor's garage sale with my husband (on our bikes!), and chat with the owners.

Kae
03-13-2007, 12:47 PM
I hear ya about the swings at the amusement park. I didn't go in them cause I knew my butt woulldn't fit and I didn't even want to deal with the embarrassment. As for the overhead bars.. I always have a problem with those because I am very "busty".. even when I am thinner I feel like I am getting a mammogram on some rides... ouch!

* Swimsuits. I tried one on about a month ago. I about collapsed on the dressing room floor.
* Dresses.. same thing. So many cute ones I can't wear. (My 6 yr old sis saw some pretty ones in the back of my closet and she asked if they were someone else's cause she said I never wear clothes like that.."

shelby897
03-13-2007, 01:07 PM
Busysinglemom Ė Iíve worked for doctors for years and have seen many people ask not to be weighed, Iíve done that a few times just so my weight doesnít come up since Iím there for something else anyway.

Lisamarie Ė Thanks, I forgot about the tucking in of the shirt Ė when I was thin (and younger) I used to actually wear shirts that didnít even come close to meeting my pants!! Maybe some day. But I actually dress too big Ė I buy huge shirts just to cover everything Ė I would probably look a little better if they fit right.

GirlyGirlSebas -- So what is the first thing of "our" list you can't wait to do?? I think the whole comfortable with my husband will be my favorite!!

Kaplods Ė Nice job with the bikes. Iíve started to realize the people around us could usually care less about our appearance, when we think everyone is watching, no one really is. Even someone we may think looks perfect has issues they are concerned about and probably donít even notice us going by. And, if someone does have a negative comment to say, I always remind myself if they are important to me, then I will care, otherwise itís their opinion/problem, not mine.

I have a friend who refuses to go swimming because of her weight, so her husband has to take their daughter if she wants to go. That is one thing I refuse to do Ė my kidís will not suffer because of my weight Ė I put myself here, itís up to me to get out of it. I will swim/play with them, no matter what!!

Glory87
03-13-2007, 01:43 PM
When I was heavy, I couldn't stand to have pictures taken (there are practically NO pictures of me taken during that period) and I hated to cut my toenails (all that bending over, I was always flushed and out of breath). Now, I love pictures of me and cutting my toenails is so easy, I can't believe I ever hated it.

sharonrr
03-13-2007, 01:57 PM
I would put off going to the Doctor's. I finally have an appointment in April.
I haven't had a mammogram in 6 years. That is terrible I should of had one every year. I am just too embarrassed to go anywhere and take off my clothes.

Slashnl
03-13-2007, 02:19 PM
I'm tired of not wanting to have pictures taken.
I ride horses (I have a big, strong horse), but it would be nice to be able to step up in the stirrup without so much effort.
Being able to sit on the ground without so much effort... and to be able to get back up without so much struggle.
Running. (not like I've been good with that before, but I'd like to be able to do it)
Feeling good wearing shorts.
Wearing tank tops without wanting a cover up shirt.
Getting up on the referree box at my daughter's volleyball games without thinking that everyone is disgusted. (Fortunately, she is proud that I'm willing to be a referee and doesn't worry about the stuff I worry about!)
Buy clothes that don't have an "X" in them!

GirlyGirlSebas
03-13-2007, 03:24 PM
[QUOTE=shelby897;1609102]
GirlyGirlSebas -- So what is the first thing of "our" list you can't wait to do?? I think the whole comfortable with my husband will be my favorite!!
[QUOTE]

That is at the top of my list. Hubby and I went away for the weekend. It should have been a prime opportunity for romance. However, I was sitting on the bed and caught a glimpse of myself in the mirror. Oh my goodness! Let's just say this.....my ego took a big nosedive! I look way worse sitting down than I do standing!

SwimGirl
03-13-2007, 05:32 PM
I have no mirrors in my bedroom, or livingroom, only in the bathroom, and it's not even full length. Definitely helps with the bedroom mood, heh..

I made a list of things I want to do this summer when I'm thinner.. so I guess it's basically stuff I couldn't do before..

Go to Whiterock - a trendy little town on the ocean and shop! It's all beachwear.

Go to the waterslides.

Go to this amusement park here.

Go to the beach regularly! We are even planning a weekend getaway to a beach town :)

Mostly I just want to feel comfortable in summer clothes - it's my favorite season, I want to enjoy it fully.

-Aimee

nelie
03-13-2007, 06:33 PM
Well I just remembered there is a few things I can't do because of my weight:

Do more than 1 straight leg pushup
Do a pullup
Climb a rockwall

Those are things I'd like to do when I get at or near my goal weight but my upper body can't really support the weight I'm at.

LisaMarie71
03-13-2007, 07:51 PM
Ooh, nelie, I've always thought climbing a rockwall would be so much fun!! There's something to look forward to!!

MNBlueyes
03-13-2007, 08:22 PM
I got over the swim suit issue, at least while at the gym. Shorts are another matter as well as tank tops. But I'm looking forward to putting these on this summer.

Activity wise, amusement rides are a no, at least for now.

LivingWater
03-13-2007, 08:53 PM
Forgot one... I can't run anymore. Instead, I dream about running...

jrenzul
03-13-2007, 10:40 PM
I can't look in the mirror, or at a picture of myself, without feeling slightly revolted. I'll wear the swimsuit. I'll get the picture taken. I'll walk or ride the bike. I even step on the scale at the DR's, asking 'Do I have to?' But I'm not comfortable doing them.
I don't like amusement park rides, so that's not much of an issue (wish I did like them-you guys have WAY more fun that I do!)

Cheryl14
03-13-2007, 11:54 PM
I can do a lot more now after having lost a bunch of weight. I find that as I lose MORE and MORE weight, I can do many more things!:)

When I was at my heaviest I still kept pretty active, but a number of things were very hard for me to do. I couldn't walk long distances without getting out of breath. My car seatbelt was tight. Restroom stalls were small.

I couldn't buy clothes in the regular Misses Department. They had to use the HUGE bloodpressure cuff when I donated blood. I was usually the heaviest person in the room.

I felt very self-conscious all the time. I usually tried to stay in the background. I didn't volunteer to do things in front of a group. I tried to stay invisible.

Cheryl