General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Closed Thread

Old 03-12-2007, 07:08 PM   #1  
I wanna be a loser, too

Height: vertically challenged

Default Refied the house & almost a fraud victim

We took out an equity line several years ago to do some extensive remodeling. Since the interest rates are beginning to skyrocket on the equity line, we decided to just refi and get it all under 1 payment. No big deal.

However, I received something from National City Warehouse something or other. It was a single sheet of paper with a removable coupon at the bottom with an Apr 1 due date. Our first payment on our refi is due Apr 1. However, the fact that it wasn't an entire coupon book and a weird sounding name for a mortgage institution kinda sent up a red flag. I emailed the mortgage broker and asked about it. We haven't received anything telling us who the lender is going to be.

I'm glad I did. Our new lender has an entirely different name and it is nowhere near National City ...... Sounds to me like somebody is just going through the public records for new home sales and refi loans and just sending out this payment stuff. I wonder how many they'll get before they close their doors and open new ones with a different name down the hall.

If you've recently refied or bought a new home, watchout for this.
Old 03-12-2007, 07:28 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 238/199/150

Height: 5'5"

We keep getting these things about the warranty on our vehicle being expired and how they can "help us". Really freaked us out at first because we had only had our vehicle for a year, but after we did some digging we found out that these people were just looking for people to freak out and "buy in" to adding a bogus warranty!
Old 03-12-2007, 07:38 PM   #3  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

S/C/G: 201/186/180

Height: 6'

Thanks gals ~ I got an e-mail yesterday that said someone is going around telling people they were in trouble for not making jury duty...people say they weren't notified...then caller says they need their Social Security Number to verify...man do you have to be careful!
Old 03-12-2007, 11:36 PM   #4  
I wanna be a loser, too

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZMONEY View Post
Thanks gals ~ I got an e-mail yesterday that said someone is going around telling people they were in trouble for not making jury duty...people say they weren't notified...then caller says they need their Social Security Number to verify...man do you have to be careful!

That's one of the new frauds going around. I heard about it on Clark Howard. If you have caller ID and if they haven't blocked their number, you should report it to the DA.
Old 03-13-2007, 10:20 AM   #5  

Exclamation OK, here's one for ya--

About 6 months ago my parents changed their telephone number because bill collectors kept calling THEM because my older sibs weren't paying like they were supposed too.

In the past week, my parents have gotten two calls asking for ME by my MAIDEN NAME, which I've not had for almost 2 1/2 years. How in the heck did someone get their new UNLISTED number? And why would they be asking for the "old" me?

This is really freaking me out!
Old 03-13-2007, 10:35 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

Maybe it's a high school sweetheart
Old 03-13-2007, 11:35 AM   #7  
LAWL Salt Police

Cbmare..

Make sure you pass that along to your state's Attorney General's office.. I'm sure they have a consumer protection department. It really helps them keep tabs on this sort of thing..
Old 03-13-2007, 12:51 PM   #8  
I wanna be a loser, too

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan2112 View Post
Cbmare..

Make sure you pass that along to your state's Attorney General's office.. I'm sure they have a consumer protection department. It really helps them keep tabs on this sort of thing..
That and the Postmaster General. It did come through the US Mail. I wish I'd kept the envelope.
Old 03-13-2007, 01:05 PM   #9  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

It is amazing how much junk mail you get once you get a mortgage. This is a very strange case and I'm glad you caught it. I'm always amused by my own mortgage company trying to get me to refinance.
Old 03-13-2007, 03:16 PM   #10  
-

S/C/G: 245/178/150?

Height: 5'10"

Here's another that we got...

A guy called us saying he was from our bank and that they were noticing strange activity on our business check card. He gave us the last four digits of the card number and wanted us to give him the expiration date, security code and mailing address. When my Dh questioned why he'd need that info to verify the guy said we shoud call a specific 800 number to verify that he was legit. When DH called that number the auto system asked for all that same info again to get to speak to a "live" operator. He hung up, called our bank directly and was told they had nothing to do with it! Scammers! Good thing we were suspicious and didn't give them any information!

Beth

Last edited by CinnamonGirl; 03-13-2007 at 06:46 PM.
Old 03-13-2007, 04:45 PM   #11  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

S/C/G: 201/186/180

Height: 6'

That is scary Beth!
Old 03-13-2007, 06:45 PM   #12  
-

S/C/G: 245/178/150?

Height: 5'10"

Yep, you got that right! It's our business and our only means of support and we were soooooooooo close to being taken in by this guy. The 800 recording he gave us sounded so completely real too - a very "professional" job done by those crooks!

I hate that I've become so cynical but it seems you can't any longer trust anyone. I hate that!

Beth

Last edited by CinnamonGirl; 03-13-2007 at 07:21 PM.
Old 03-13-2007, 07:13 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 140/137/125

Height: 5'2.5"

I keep getting something in my e-mail that says it is from my bank but I do not open it. It says in the subject (sometimes) that my account is frozen until..... It is scary how easy someone's life can be taken over.

I also get a call about every month and a half about some Disney vacation either I won 1 or a "really good deal" they just have to tell me about. This one has a local phone # I reconnize it whenever they call now.
Old 03-13-2007, 11:26 PM   #14  
Pending Email Confirmation

you really have to be so careful about this stuff. I work at a bank and get a lot of people who fall for the Nigerian money scam still. Plus sometimes people will get emails that are set up to go click on a link to a website and enter your account number and pin. The web address will be similar but not the same. We get notices every month or so of some new phishing scam.

as for you 4myself... i strongly suggest you pull a copy of your credit report. I do what's called skiptracing as part of my job to try to find people who are delinquent and it's possible you have something you forgot about when you were younger and they are trying to locate you. It is also possible that since you are a relative, they are trying to reach you regarding your siblings accounts. We get reports that have all of the person's past addresses, phone numbers, their previous employment, their relatives names and phone numbers, neighbors names and phone numbers and possible business associates. It is amazing what you can get off the internet from people searches too. They may just be trying another way to get yoursibs, but you might want to be sure you didn't forget about something you did in your youth.
Closed Thread