Old 03-12-2007, 03:19 PM   #1  
Tallgirl

S/C/G: 192/182/176

Height: 6'1''

Default Anyone on a High protein Diet

I have been working with my trainer for some time now. I have lost over 10 inches since last October and haven't lost much weight. I am trying to build more muscle and reduce my fat as well. She has me on a high protein diet and I’m watching my calorie intake.
The only thing is that a lot of protein items are high in fat and sometimes that worries me. Such things as almonds which I know are good for you in moderation and also peanut butter. I just wanted to see if anyone else was on this type of diet. I have talked to her about it and she assures me I’ll be fine but I wanted to hear what other have to say
tallgirl42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 04:04 PM   #2  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

Yes, almonds and peanut butter have fat, but it's a natural, healthy fat (assuming it's natural peanut butter you're eating, not the overly-processed additive-laden commercial crap ). The fats you need to worry more about are those found in fatty meats, full-fat dairy, and unhealthy oils (saturated fats are evil, and trans fats are downright demonic).

I agree that it's difficult to keep your fat down while eating high protein (I probably don't eat nearly as much protein as you, but I try to get in at least 100g a day), but you can do it if you try. I have a smoothie for breakfast that has about 30 grams of protein and only 1 gram of fat (it's a frozen banana, 2 scoops of combo whey/soy vanilla flavored protein powder, and skim milk). I also buy reduced-fat cheeses and the leanest cuts of meat I can find (I even pay extra for the 99% fat free boneless skinless chicken breasts--more expensive, but much easier than trying to cut off all the excess fat--per 3oz cooked chicken, it's 110 calories, 26g protein, and only .5g fat).
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 05:01 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

How much protein is high protein? Lots of folks around here use 40% cals or better of protein.
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 05:45 PM   #4  
Tallgirl

S/C/G: 192/182/176

Height: 6'1''

Talking

Well i usually have a shake for breakfast that is protein water and a scoop of peanut butter, then for snack usually cottage cheese and probably 1/4 cup of almonds if that. Then lunch usually tuna or chicken and an apple. My next snack is either 4 egg whites or today i had two rice cakes with about 1 tbsp of peanut butter. For dinner i had chicken in a salad with craisens and asparagus with light italian dressing.
This whole day i probably consummed 60 grams of fat b/c of the almonds and peanut butter. But yet only 1500 calories
I am going to talk to my trainer tonight but i wanted to get other peoples thoughts.
tallgirl42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 02:09 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 186/???/130

Height: 5'5

Hi!! I am also on a high protein diet. This is my usual menu:

B: 1 pc Eziekiel Toast with almond butter
S: 1 apple
L: Turkey or chicken, with a salad ( i dont like fish)
S: 20 almonds or brown rice cake with almond butter
D: Turkey or chicken, steamed veggies, sometimes brown rice

the meat is always the size of my palm.
mimik is offline   Reply With Quote