100 lb. Club - Has anyone done Master Cleanser?

View Full Version : Has anyone done Master Cleanser?

Jen
03-12-2007, 01:08 PM
This is that water/lemon juice/maple syrup/cayenne pepper thing that you might have heard about. It is based on a book written by a guy named Stanley Burroughs. There is a lot more to it than just drinking this mix, there are other things you are supposed to take with it. It is really a detoxifier but of course it is great that you lose weight with it. You drink this drink for 10 days and then gradually add in other foods. I'm not sure what, there is more info on the web if you want to google it. I'm interested in hearing from people who have actually done the whole thing from start to finish. I'm NOT going to do it myself so please don't anyone comment that I am killing myself by doing this because I'm NOT going to do it. My husband is working with a guy that has been seeing a naturopath and he has been doing the program for several weeks and I am just wondering what others have experienced doing it. There is no way I could do this because my understanding this that there is a lot of running to the bathroom with it and with my job there's no way I'd be able to spend that much time in the bathroom!

sharonrr
03-12-2007, 01:14 PM
I'm glad your not doing it. I just have one question why would anyone do something that unhealthy to their body?
Eat healthy and exercise. Your body does not want to run to the bathroom all day.:carrot:

lessofsarahtolove
03-12-2007, 02:14 PM
Sorry, Jen, I don't mean to blast you, but WOW! That's a pretty crazy plan. :crazy: People keep looking for this magic fix because they want immediate, easy results obtained by hitting this special, secret magic button, when if they'd stopped chasing that futile (and money-wasting) dream and improved their eating habits and exercised, they could have been losing weight all along. Stanley still makes his money. It's sad.

royalsfan1
03-12-2007, 02:40 PM
Sounds gross, too!

Charbar
03-12-2007, 02:44 PM
My friend has done it... many times. She does it once a year. She is slim to begin with. She does not do it to lose weight but to clean out toxins in her body. She will lose weight on it.. but goes back to her regular weight. It is not meant for weight lose but for cleansing.
I personally would not do it.. .. mostly because I don't care what toxins are in my body.. I'm not giving up food for 10 days!

SwimGirl
03-12-2007, 03:22 PM
I've done it, and a different cleanse as well. It's SO frustrating to hear people bash them when they've done wonderful things for me. I do NOT have IBS symptoms anymore, I was diagnosed with Intercystial Cystitis, Vestibulitis and Endometriosis, I was in SO much pain, I had constant yeast infections, not to mention the bladder infections. My doctor couldn't do anything but put me on pills for the rest of my life - costing me 100 dollars a month - again, for the rest of my life. I didn't want to pay that, and didn't want to be taking pills forever. However, with the help of the same doctor I did a cleanse and sustain the eating for over a year and now I have no symptoms. It's definitely not for weight loss, but a cleanse can do amazing things for a sick body. And yes - I did just try cutting out bad foods. For 5 months I ate completely clean - it did nothing.

I'm sorry to go off - but doing a cleanse really worked for me. And I don't think it's fair to say that doing a cleanse is a bad thing when it's all about the intentions, if you do a cleanse for weight loss it won't work in the long term.

-Aimee

Obsidianbbw
03-12-2007, 03:39 PM
I think people assume cleanse - diet and they are 2 different things. I don't do them, but my mother did. She wasn't trying to lose weight. She felt every now and again the body needed a good cleaning out. If you happen to lose weight great, but I don't think they are the main purpose.

[QUOTE=SwimGirl;
I'm sorry to go off - but doing a cleanse really worked for me. And I don't think it's fair to say that doing a cleanse is a bad thing when it's all about the intentions, if you do a cleanse for weight loss it won't work in the long term.

-Aimee[/QUOTE]

lessofsarahtolove
03-12-2007, 03:56 PM
Aimee, I'm glad that it's helped you with your health problems. I wasn't bashing it for that purpose, but for weight loss, which is what I think most people are going for when they do these cleanses/fasts.....case in point, in Jen's original post she referred to it being "great that you lose weight with this." (Sorry to call you out like that, Jen, but you brought it up! ;))

Cleansing and weight loss are completely separate intentions. People have been fasting for centuries and there are both physical and spiritual benefits to be had from this practice.....but it sure as heck is not an advised weight loss approach!

I guess I'm saying, "Got toxins?" Do the cleanse! (And also look at what you're ingesting.) But, "Got fat?" The cleanse is not your answer.

Bek
03-12-2007, 03:59 PM
Essentially, this is a controlled fast. People have been doing fasts for hundreds of years. I've done it in the distant past, and felt great afterwards. My 70 yr old mother did something called the Gall Bladder cleanse, which included lemon juice and olive oil. I was a bit skeptical when she told me about it, not worried about her health or anything, just not convinced of the benefits. You should have seen her afterwards. Her eyes were amazing clear, bright, and she felt great. I'd say if the human body can withstand living on fast food, it can surely withstand living on maple syrup and cayenne pepper for a few days.

Jen
03-12-2007, 05:53 PM
I never thought that this was primarily a way to lose weight, it is just a great side benefit. It was always my understanding that it was a detoxification program. Primarily I posted because I wanted comments from people who have actually done it and know what the program is all about (thank-you Aimee). I know I had the same thoughts as most of you when I first heard about this from my husband who was telling me about what his co-worker and his wife were doing (following this program, seeing a naturopath) but I wanted to get informed information from people that have actually done this or something similar.

Has anyone been to a naturopath, what was your experience if you are willing to share it?

SexyRevealed
03-12-2007, 06:07 PM
I plan to do the Master Cleanse one day, hopefully this year. I also plan to do the liver/gallbladder cleanse. I've heard great things about both.

I'm starting to be a believer in natural cures and remedies. The doctors/hospitals/drug companies do not want to cure you. They want to make you comfortable by prescribing a pill that you need to repurchase ($$$) for the rest of your life. There is no money in the cure.

nelie
03-12-2007, 06:16 PM
My personal philosophy is if you want to do a cleanse, then do it with natural foods. I've looked at the master cleanse and personally, I don't care for it but that is my personal preference.

I will say that eating more whole foods has helped me immensely. I used to have daily stomach issues. I took pepto bismal on almost a daily basis. This went on for years. When I started cleaning up my diet, those issues did go away. I try to stay towards natural foods and foods with minimal processing.

My only advice before you try something is to do the research, good and bad. I don't think the master cleanse would be harmful (unless you have insulin issues) but that doesn't mean it would be helpful either.

SwimGirl
03-12-2007, 07:39 PM
I've seen a naturalpath, so has my mom and brother. I think you have to go with an open mind, they say some stuff that makes you not so happy. For example my mom was told not to have wheat, who wants to hear THAT?! My brother was told he had a vitamin B deficit and once he started taking it daily it gave him a lasting energy. The naturalpath we all saw really believes in the "Eat Right for you Blood Type" book, I checked it out and incorporate lots of their ideas into my diet. Is it worth the money? Depends on how bad your health is. It definitely costs a pretty penny!

-Aimee

LivingWater
03-12-2007, 08:30 PM
I've fasted many, many times and I LOVE the health that comes with it. Master Cleanse is just like a fast, maybe even a little stronger. There is nothing wrong with either, as long as you can handle the no food part. Some people just can't. In that case, go veggie-fruit for a while. You'll get a similiar effect, but it just takes a lot longer.

Heather
03-12-2007, 10:58 PM
The doctors/hospitals/drug companies do not want to cure you. They want to make you comfortable by prescribing a pill that you need to repurchase ($$$) for the rest of your life. There is no money in the cure.

I don't know if it's fair to paint all doctors and hospitals with the same brush. Similarly, aren't their many alternative practictioners who make their living on repeat business?

lessofsarahtolove
03-12-2007, 11:35 PM
SexyRevealed said:
The doctors/hospitals/drug companies do not want to cure you. They want to make you comfortable by prescribing a pill that you need to repurchase ($$$) for the rest of your life. There is no money in the cure.
This has not been my experience. And there's no money in the cure? Wouldn't you pay for one if you needed it? Also, there are plenty of ongoing medical concerns we'll all be faced with in the course of aging....so they're not likely to go out of business by treating people ethically.

I don't know if it's fair to paint all doctors and hospitals with the same brush. Similarly, aren't their many alternative practictioners who make their living on repeat business?
Exactly. There are shiesters and opportunists in just about every line of business and in almost every culture because, unfortunately, we humans have a tendency to enjoy the comfort and powers of acquisition that result from financial success.

I've been getting treatment for serious medical problems since December of 2004, and literally every medical professional I've encountered has done their part to try to get me cured. I also grew up with some serious esophageal problems and as a result was hospitalized literally monthly for my entire childhood. Again, noone wanted anything but the very best for me, and everyone focused on making me as well as I possibly could be.

The American medical system is fraught with issues that need to be addressed, but I do feel it's too easy (and simplistic) to scapegoat the doctors and hospitals. After all, they and their families get sick with the same degrees of frequency and severity as do we and our loved ones. The conspiracy theories just don't hold up under scrutiny.

Sorry, I really don't mean to be argumentative, but I've just had too many doctors in too many hospitals working their asses off in a sincere effort to get me well not to speak up in their defense. :^:

Glory87
03-12-2007, 11:44 PM
I just don't think I need any kind of cleanse to rid my body of toxins, that's what my kidneys and other vital organs are for. We cleanse ourselves every day :) I definitely would NEVER personally do anything that required more than 1 day without solid food, starving has been bad juju for me in the past (unless under a doctor's supervision, of course).

MariaMaria
03-12-2007, 11:49 PM
I just don't think I need any kind of cleanse to rid my body of toxins, that's what my kidneys and other vital organs are for. We cleanse ourselves every day

This.

I have a liver and kidneys for a reason.

Also, I don't get the magic of lemon juice and cayenne.

SexyRevealed
03-13-2007, 12:14 AM
Of course not all doctors and hospitals, that's not what I meant. I'm not implying that the doctors and nurses at your local hospital hold secret midnight meetings to discuss ways to conspire against the public. But at the same time, please don't be naive and believe that the healthcare industry as a whole always has your best interests at heart.

The healthcare industry is first and foremost a business. The main objective of any business is to turn a profit. The healthcare industry is certainly not exempt from this. If this was the case, there wouldn't be 9 million children in this country without health insurance. So what would be more profitable - a one-time cure for your illness, or a monthly need for your medication?

Please don't get me wrong. If I'm ever in a situation where I require medical attention, I won't hesitate to get it. But I also recognize that alternative methods do exist, and that these methods may not be profitable for the healthcare industry (and thus not publicized and accepted by the mainstream) but may indeed be the remedy I need.

lessofsarahtolove
03-13-2007, 12:41 AM
I don't believe that I'm being naive in believing that physicians and hospitals have not abandoned all loyalty to the Hyppocratic Oath in favor of personal gain, nor do I think you meant to imply that they held secret meetings to plot against us. :lol: As for the 9 million children without medical coverage, I hold our political leaders and an apathetic, shortsighted nation responsible, not the insurance companies who only do what we allow. I said before that our medical system is fraught with problems, but I don't expect the insurance companies to fix them, nor do I assume that physicians are more interested in repeat business than healing their patients.

By all means, pursue alt treatment whenever it makes sense for you -- an ayurvedic cure helped me greatly when I got sick while living in Kashmir, India. I'm sure that you recognize that a huge percentage of those alternative methods don't send profit to the medical mainstream, but they usually send profit to somebody!

I am not anti-altie at all, and I do augment my mainstream treatment with alternative supportive treatments when it makes sense and is safe to do so. I just don't think that my refusal to demonize the mainstream medical community makes me naive, though, and it doesn't mean that I think our system is working very well at all.

I think we'll just agree to disagree on this one. ;) Sorry, Jen, for hijacking your thread! We now return to our regularly broadcasted program...... :D

Jen
03-13-2007, 11:22 AM
Don't worry about it Sarah, it is always nice to hear different points of view about any issue.

Why I am bringing this up is that my dh has had some chronic health problems ever since he got his gallbladder out about 3 1/2 years ago and nobody (the doctors he has seen) has been able to pin down what the problem is exactly or how to fix it. He has tried a variety of medications and undergone numerous tests. We are starting to think about alternative treatments seeing as conventional doctors don't seem to be able to find out what is ailing him.

Also with regards to the human body having a liver and kidneys to filter the toxins out of the body...I seriously doubt that they were designed to handle some of the crap that we shove into our mouths. If we all went back to basics, eating unprocessed foods, more fruits and veggies, whole grains etc we'd probably all benefit. We've already had a few people say how much better they feel when they've eaten this way.

nelie
03-13-2007, 11:48 AM
Don't worry about it Sarah, it is always nice to hear different points of view about any issue.

Why I am bringing this up is that my dh has had some chronic health problems ever since he got his gallbladder out about 3 1/2 years ago and nobody (the doctors he has seen) has been able to pin down what the problem is exactly or how to fix it. He has tried a variety of medications and undergone numerous tests. We are starting to think about alternative treatments seeing as conventional doctors don't seem to be able to find out what is ailing him.

Also with regards to the human body having a liver and kidneys to filter the toxins out of the body...I seriously doubt that they were designed to handle some of the crap that we shove into our mouths. If we all went back to basics, eating unprocessed foods, more fruits and veggies, whole grains etc we'd probably all benefit. We've already had a few people say how much better they feel when they've eaten this way.

Something else I was thinking about this morning is that someone can live for years with allergies and not even know it. So if you eliminate those foods for a while, then it can help your body. The one thing I liked about "You: On a Diet" was that it did explain that "bad" foods can cause inflammation in digestive systems that we can live for years with. Once you start eating healthier, that inflammation can disappear.

Has your husband had an allergy test done? You might want to try looking into high allergy foods like dairy and grains (including corn) and see if that helps.

Mrs Quadcrew
03-13-2007, 12:37 PM
Excellent points Nelie - I've satyed quiet on this thread, but IMO - if you look close enough, you'll see there is someone who is profiting from this too. (and sorry, I don't agree with it - nothing I would want me or anyone I care for to do)

LivingWater
03-13-2007, 01:13 PM
The only people who profits monetarily from water fasting... is well... no one. Juice fasting profiters are the farmers (who need the profits-albeit small)... I bought my Juiceman Jr. almost ten years ago for 69.00 and it still runs strong. Juiceman hasn't gotten a cent from me since my initial purchase.

Heather
03-13-2007, 01:20 PM
The only people who profits monetarily from water fasting... is well... no one.

That's true! You know, I read once that the reason there isn't much actual research done on water fasts is because there's no industry around it. I don't know if it's true, but it's an interesting commentary on much of the non-academic research (which is frequently sponsored by the company whose products are being promoted).

CyberGypsy
03-13-2007, 07:31 PM
I do a cleanse and love it... but i use fresh juices......

Jen
03-14-2007, 10:32 AM
My husband has been through the wringer with all kinds of tests including allergy tests, blood tests, lactose intolerance tests, colonoscopy and endoscopy and biopsies done with both those procedures. He is considering trying a cleanse. Thanks Nelie for that point about inflammation. He's been tested for gluten intolerance (Celiac disease) and he doesn't have it but who knows what other kind of food he might actually be allergic to without knowing it. We have thought of these things and a million others and really he has not changed the way or what he eats. The gallbladder surgery though could have triggered something, who knows?

About somebody making money off this I am sure this is referring to those folks who write books about fasting and sell stuff on web sites. I don't disagree with this but they are not advertising it as a method of weight loss, they are saying it is a way to detoxify your body. On the web sites I have looked at the weight loss benefit is mentioned secondary to how much better people feel because the toxins are being purged. I am sorry that I even mentioned it as something that will help lose weight. I AM NOT DOING IT! My husband is interested in it, HE DOES NOT NEED TO LOSE WEIGHT, he has chronic health problems that conventional medicine does not seem to be able to diagnose or treat. Also give me a break about people making money off this. The weight loss industry makes billions of $$. For every book someone has written about cleansing or detoxification there are probably 50 books printed about weight loss. These people are a drop in the bucket comparing the amount of money people spend trying to lose weight.

royalsfan1
03-14-2007, 10:58 AM
All I'm going to say is that my Aunt had breast cancer about 15 years ago and needed a bone marrow transplant. Luckily, one of my mom's cousins is extremely wealthy and paid for everything because her insurance wouldn't cover it and the hospital and Doctors wouldn't begin ANY treatment without a $50,000 down payment. When ability to pay determines life-saving course of action....I have a HUGE problem with that. In fact, in my opinion it is a criminal act. If you haven't encountered a situation like that...don't think it doesn't happen....just consider yourself fortunate and pray you never do. Caring doctors exist...I won't try and say they don't....but we wouldn't be in a healthcare crisis if caring was the "norm" for doctors, hospitals, insurance companies, and all who influence the business of medicine....those two things are incongruous.

Redeemed
03-14-2007, 11:15 AM
my cousin did it and after she was finished she couldn't go at all. She was all messed up when she started eating again. I told her that I was thinking about trying it at one time to get all the crap out and she scared me straight.

Charbar
03-14-2007, 11:21 AM
I was born in Canada and lived there until I was 28. I've been in the states for almost 9 years. I have also worked for a major medical insurance company.

From my humble experience - the US has FAR better medical then Canada. However the systems has it's flaws. (But I do NOT suggest socialized medical by any means)

1. We do need to become responsible for our own health. Of course there are exceptions to this that our beyond our control. I'm talking here about our weight. I am NOT helping the system by being overweight. I'm a part of the problem. If I need extra medical attention or drugs due to the fact that I like ice-cream that should become my responsiblity.

2. I believe the system should be two tiered. One cash - the other some type of socialized medical. Cash for preventive check ups and minor illnesses and standard births. Goverment controled major medical.
Same thing would go with drugs. It makes no sense to me that birthcontrol pills and viagra are covered under most insurance but condoms are not.

Another moral issue is drugs for seniors. Here is the problem... the drug companies make massive bucks - so they use some of that for research on great drugs that prolong our lives. 1/2 the seniors that are alive today would have been dead 25 years ago if it wasn't for the drugs we have today. Of course it's great that we have been able to prolong their lives - but there is a cost with it. You can't have one without the other. How much are you willing to pay for your Grandma to live to 95? I know it's a sick question - but I do think it needs to be asked.

Just things to ponder.

What I know for sure is that I have been lucky. My family only spends about $1200 a year for medical - that is what was covered by the insurance company. I did pay them over $12,000 for my premium (that includes what my dh's emloyer paid too) is it worth it? I think so....

If I had the choice to pay cash for the items I used.. and have premiums at half price to cover major medical I would.

My doctor visits that are 10 minutes long cost about $120.. that's nuts!

sorry this is such a rant.. but it's an important issue to me.

btw.. I worked for the insurance to understand how the system worked. I have saved over $1000 easy by understanding it better.

Jen
03-14-2007, 02:53 PM
Well seeing as we are right off the topic I introduced let me add this small nugget....

When I was 16 I had the oppurtunity to move to the US as my mom and stepfather were moving there. I stayed here with my dad because of an article I had seen in the newspaper and this essentially this is how I saw the US at that time. A woman had fallen on her own front step and broke her hip. By the time she had her hip fixed with all the hospital costs she was bankrupt and the bank was going to take her house (obviously she had no insurance). She committed suicide. When I was 16 I thought to myself that I didn't want to live in a country where something like this was probably a common everyday experience. Say what you will about socialized medicine at least I know that if anything happens to me I can go into any hospital in Canada and receive care without worrying about a bill in my mailbox. Yes there are a lot of negatives about the whole systgem but if I break my hip I won't have to worry about the bank taking my house because of my hospital bill.

Also back to the cleanser topic, redeemed....my understanding is that some people have to take laxatives during the process or they will get constipated. Maybe that is what happened to your cousin.

Jen
03-14-2007, 03:06 PM
Dana, you've brought up an interesting ethical question about drugs keeping us alive until we are 95. If I could be that age and still in charge of all my faculties and able to get around then yeah that would probably be okay. I'm very cynical though because as a RN I see a lot of elderly people who are confused, aggressive, bedbound or barely able to move, incontinent and needing to be completely cared for 24/7 and that includes having to be fed. You would have no idea how some of these people are completely humiliated by being cared for as if they are babies again. They need to be fed, cleaned and changed. I have heard so many of them say that they never thought their lives would be like this. Yet I know there are tons of elderly people that who have wonderful lives. It's a crap shoot, you never know what is going to happen with your life. On the whole though, for the elderly people I see most of them would have just as soon died before things started to go downhill. Tell me what to say to a patient that they wish they were dead because they are stuck in a bed for the rest of their life, having to be cleaned, changed and fed like a baby? In that instance I don't agree with you about paying for research for drugs that will keep us alive until we are 95. If the drugs are going to give us a wonderful quality of life as well for all that time...

SexyRevealed
03-14-2007, 03:10 PM
Also back to the cleanser topic, redeemed....my understanding is that some people have to take laxatives during the process or they will get constipated. Maybe that is what happened to your cousin.

The people I know who have done the cleanse would drink a tea called Smooth Move along with the Cleanse.

Also, there is a certain way that you have to come off of the cleanse. You can't just starting eating any old thing the next day.

If anyone is going to try this, I highly recommend that you read and research all you can. There is an ebook available. Just google Master Cleanser.

MariaMaria
03-14-2007, 03:16 PM
The people I know who have done the cleanse would drink a tea called Smooth Move along with the Cleanse.

Was it this cleanse thread or the other where we talked about who profits and someone said "no one, water's free"?

SwimGirl
03-14-2007, 03:54 PM
With the Master Cleanser you are supposed to drink a salt/water drink in the morning thats supposed to get things moving. They also suggest teas that get things moving - they don't suggest any certain brands. If you aren't taking those things, the cleanse isn't going to work.

The medical thing is a big thing that my brother (who lives in the USA) and I talk about. I can't imagine having to pay to see a doctor, when I was in college with zero income I got REALLY sick - I saw 4 different doctors, including a specialist who probably would have cost my entire college fund. There is no such thing as the perfect health care system - they all have their flaws. But I wouldn't want to go into debt from being sick. The poor always seen to get poorer. Sad.

-Aimee

SexyRevealed
03-14-2007, 06:18 PM
Was it this cleanse thread or the other where we talked about who profits and someone said "no one, water's free"?

Smooth Move is not specifically made for the Master Cleanse, and it is not a requirement of the cleanse. It is an herbal (senna) laxative tea that people drink instead of taking Correctol or other laxative products. It is helpful when used in conjunction with the cleanse, but some people opt for the salt water flush, or both. I think it's maybe $5 a box.

The rest of the cleanse involves organic lemons, grade B maple syrup, cayenne pepper, and water.

I seriously doubt if anyone is getting rich off of these products, which total less than $20 at any health store.

royalsfan1
03-14-2007, 10:44 PM
. The poor always seen to get poorer. Sad.

-Aimee

That's the horror of it.

Jen
03-15-2007, 09:19 AM
There are web sites selling stuff (teas etc) that you can drink along with the cleanse but to the best of my knowledge you don't have to take anything other than the drink we already talked about. It is recommended to take a laxative as there is no fiber in this drink and you might get constipated from the stool that is still in your bowels. You can take any laxative and like Tiffany said they are really cheap. I had to buy a box for my husband when he was doing his colonoscopy prep and it was $3 for 12 tabs. He is borrowing a book from his co-worker that is all about this stuff so I'll post more after I read it if anyone is interested.

TempleBody
03-15-2007, 11:15 AM
Wow, this thread has gone so offtopic.

I've never done the full ten days of the clense. I did do it for a few days but I added some food because I couldn't handle it.

I do believe some fasting is very good for the body. :-)

Cassia
03-15-2007, 11:41 AM
DAY ONE:

I am trying the master cleanse. Today is my first day. My goal is 10 days. I am doing it to kick start a healthier way of life and not just for weight loss. I'll keep you posted.

SexyRevealed
03-15-2007, 01:22 PM
Good luck Cassia!

Glory87
03-15-2007, 02:36 PM
DAY ONE:

I am trying the master cleanse. Today is my first day. My goal is 10 days. I am doing it to kick start a healthier way of life and not just for weight loss. I'll keep you posted.

Not sure how starving is a good start to any healthier way of life. :( But I admit to being biased about this issue, lots of people think fasts are good. Good luck!

LivingWater
03-15-2007, 07:35 PM
Not sure how starving is a good start to any healthier way of life. :( But I admit to being biased about this issue, lots of people think fasts are good. Good luck!

Well, scientifically speaking, when you fast you are NOT starving. If you fast, without the use of protein, your body goes into a state of "autolysis". Instead of being in the continual digestion mode, digestion stops. Your body goes into a mode of breaking down and eliminating waste, diseased or damaged cells, and releasing toxins stored in various wonderful places.

The only other time your body goes into a similiar mode is when you're sleeping (but not if you ate right before bed). That is why it's important to give yourself time to digest before sleeping. Your body needs to go into the cleansing cycle or it'll just continue down the "run-down" path.

If fasting were starving, I'd be dead and so would many others. My longest fast was 145 days.

LivingWater
03-15-2007, 07:37 PM
cassia- Great start to health. Stay focused and positive, follow the well advised instructions and document everything. It's great to have a journal to go back and read. It'll be tough, but you can do it. :)

Jen
03-15-2007, 11:50 PM
Just got the books tonight if anyone is interested. There is a lot of very interesting stuff in these books and I have really revised my opinion of cleansing. The books are The Master Cleanser by Stanley Burroughs and Lose Weight, Have more energy Be happier in 10 days by Peter Glickman. And to those people thinking that these people are frauds looking to make a quick buck, together these 2 books cost less than $25 and everything that you need can be bought at your local grocery or health food store.

Glory87 - With the amount of maple syrup that is being used anyone doing this cleanse will be getting several hundred calories everyday. It is 2 T per 10-12 oz glass and 4T has 210 calories, as the minimum number of glasses required is at least 6 and probably most people are going to drink more I think you can see that the body will be getting enough carbohydrates to keep working. I won't talk about anybody else but at 100lbs overweight I could go more than 10 days taking this drink and not even think about worrying that I am starving to death. There are other nutritional concerns in the book, believe me they have thought of all this stuff already.

cassia - good luck with your cleanse. Did you buy both these books? I have been reading them all night. If you don't have them and have any questions that I might be able to answer please feel free to PM me.

cara1980
03-19-2007, 09:32 AM
I decided I was going to try that master cleanse today and couldnt get through a cup of the salt water flush. I went ahead and mixed the lemonade drink and couldnt get past 2 sips. That is some very nasty stuff. Anyone who tried it have the same problems???

Jen
03-19-2007, 12:46 PM
Did you buy the books or are you just going off information from the web sites? My husband is not doing the salt water flush or the laxative tea. Right now he is just monitoring how many BM's he is having and going with that. There is no way he could drink that much salt water. Did you buy the special salt? I bought some of the laxative tea and I tried a sip and it was nasty. It made me feel quite nauseated. There are Senekot tabs that you can buy, it is the same stuff as in the tea.

Yes the lemonade drink is not great, it is the cayenne pepper that does me in. I tried it as well. The book suggests a couple of things. Make sure you have mild cayenne. Apparently cayenne can be very powerful or mild. Also don't mix it up ahead of time and let it sit as this just makes it hotter. Some people do a cayenne pepper shooter where they mix the pepper with a bit of maple syrup and water and just gulp it down like a tequila shooter.

My husband is doing really well, he has stuck with it. This is day 5 for him. He is really hungry though. His problem is that he was never one for drinking a lot to begin with and to get rid of the hunger you have to drink all of the lemonade drink plus water and he can't or won't do that so he's hungry.

WamTam
03-19-2007, 02:21 PM
hi
First thing is I too have done the Master Cleanse, was recommend by a doctor not for weight lose but as a cleanse only. I was alot thinner then and tell you what i felt good :carrot: after doing it. I have a problem now with boils and liver problems so will soon again do the cleanse.

I HAVE DONE IT AND WILL DO IT AGAIN!!!!:)

SexyRevealed
03-19-2007, 05:02 PM
Jen - glad your husband is doing OK with it! I definitely want to do it one day. I just want to get my weight down some more, and wait until work becomes a little less stressful.

cara1980
03-20-2007, 10:03 AM
I got the recipes from the web. I thought I would try it as a cleanse and for weight loss. I just want to loss those 10lbs I put on after bingeing. Im in a weight loss contest on the radio and we have 2 weeks left now. I had been in 3rd place but after the binge I dropped further down. I started back on my metabolism diet and hopefully I can stick with it.

As soon as I mixed the lemonade I tried to drink it. I think I got regular cheyenne pepper and yes that did make it hot. Im also not one to drink something warm and the recipe said hte water needed to be room temp.

Do you recommend any other cleanses?

Jen
03-21-2007, 11:09 AM
I can't say that I have any info on any other cleanses. We just found out about this one from a co-worker of my husband's, he and his wife had done it after seeing a naturopath. Even if you put the lemonade in the fridge it will still be spicy from the cayenne. I had it for one day just to try it out, I drank tons of the lemonade and tons of water and wasn't really hungry at all. That night though I got a horrible migraine (I don't think it was related to doing the cleanse as I am prone to migraines) and was so sick the next day I couldn't face drinking that. I think I might like to try it out sometime for the whole 10 days.

GoodVibe
03-10-2008, 01:14 AM
The latest posts are in 07. Someone was going to start it and report her success. Are you still out there? Did it work for you?

SoulBliss
03-10-2008, 01:38 AM
I don't see how there could be anything "magical" about drinking spicy lemonade.

BattleAx
03-10-2008, 02:46 AM
I tried the Master Cleanse about a year ago, because I was feeling horrible, and was suffering from some very serious allergy/immune/inflammation issues which the doctors couldn't pinpoint.

I will say it was terrible drinking the lemonade and doing the cleanse!--but, I ended up feeling super. My skin cleared up (rosacea), and my allergy symptoms did not surface while on it. I tried to add back in foods one by one so I could try and isolate the problem. Never found out what it was, exactly, but was able to link some things to an increased chance of problems.

Having said that, since eating much healthier and cleaner on my current plan, I feel just as good, and the allergy issues and rosacea have decreased (but not gone away completely).

I don't think I'd do the cleanse again for various reasons.

A lot of people use the cleanse as a way to lose weight. It is a really, really bad idea to do that.

bbuubb
04-09-2008, 11:13 AM
Hi,
I found this thread when lookinf for information on the cleanse. I am currently on the cleanse for detox reasons. This is the beginning of day 5 for me; things are going well. I do the laxitive tea at night saltwater in the morning, and lemonade during the day. I take a shot of 1 tsp. cayenne before each lemonade. I have actually grown to like the cayenne, it gives you a warm feeling for several hours. The whole thing is hard to do at first but by day 3 even drinking the salt water is easy.

Since I am near the beginning of the cleanse I have only seen intestinal cleansing type benefits so far. I am positve food is now gone from my system but with every dose of salt water, I get more cleaning. I am doing it with several friends who have seen some neat benefits. A lady who has eye irritation and vision problems due to a prescriprion medication went through a peroiod of blood shot eyes while on the fast the all of the previous drug side effects went away. Another guy who is a machinist and works in solvents and such had rash surface on his skin where these chemicals frequently come into contact with his body. They say the toxins will most likely leave by the same means they entered. By what I have seen this is true.

I say go for it if want to improve you health, but not for weight loss. It is a great way to make a lifestyle change. If nothing else I have already improved my self-control a great deal.

there are forums out there dedicated to this cleanse and have lots of answers. just google it if you are interested.

Switzie6
04-09-2008, 12:26 PM
Jen, I just found this thread today and I wanted to share my experience with problems after gallbladder surgery. I had my gallbladder removed about 7 years ago after losing a lot of weight which led to gallstones (have since gained it back and more :( ). I never really noticed any problems until the fall last year. I was taking zoloft for anxiety but had to stop taking it for a sleep study. As soon as I stopped my digestive track went crazy and it was terrible. I started taking zoloft again for my anxiety and my digestive problems pretty much went away but I didn't think there was a connection.
I was sent to the gastroenterologist for low iron levels and they ran all kinds of tests and everything was fine. I had told them about my digestive syptoms but by the time the tests where done I was pretty much back to normal. So I told them about starting zoloft again. Turns out zoloft is prescriped for IBS also so that is what I was they think I have.
Since then I have heard of two other people I know that have IBS since their gallbladder was removed. Including my sister.

Jen
04-09-2008, 02:54 PM
Thanks so much for that info. My husband has had so many problems since his gallbladder was removed, he is on a couple of anti-depressants that I think have helped overall. It is very frustrating for him and me as well when he has test after test and everything is negative for any particular condition. I think right now he is just accepting that things are about as good as they are going to get which really is too bad. He is not much into alternative methods of medicine. I was amazed when he agreed to try the cleanse!

PaulaM
04-10-2008, 12:04 PM
I personally feel the human body is an amazing thing, and it gets rid of toxins in its own way, no need to fiddle about with all these products.

PaulaM
04-10-2008, 12:11 PM
One thing "they" never tell you about is that after gallbladder removal surgery your body cannot handle some foods the same way. There is something called "dumping syndrome" which means if you eat certain things (especially greasy food) you will have an IMMEDIATE need to get to the bathroom. It takes at least a year and sometimes longer than that for your body to readjust and some people never do. Tell you husband to keep an eye on what types of food give him trouble. I had my gallbladder out years ago and there are things I just won't eat because of this and that they give me heartburn now as well.

Jen
04-11-2008, 10:53 AM
Paula, I appreciate and respect your opinion but as someone who has done this cleanse I know how well it can work. I'm not sure that the human body does do it's job as well as it can because of the way we routinely abuse it the way most people do. I'm not talking about drugs exactly but that certainly is a factor for some people. There's also alcohol and cigarettes and even if you don't use those you probably injest more chemicals in the food you eat and lead a more sedentary lifestyle. If you think back except for the past century or so the human body was eating chemical free foods and was used to a lot of hard work everyday for survival. I think we need things like cleanses or whatever works for you because our bodies are not really doing the job they were meant to do. While the human spirit is adaptable our bodies are essentially unchanged. Or I could just say don't knock it until you've tried it. There's a lot of stuff people do that I don't necessarily believe in and wouldn't try myself but if it works for them then I say more power to them.