Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Old 03-11-2007, 01:27 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 224/173/148

Height: 5'7"

Default IBS-Diarrhea, Snack Ideas

I have IBS-D, I've had problems with my stomach since the age of 9. Symptoms changed when I was 24, and I started having constipation for about a year, it was treated with fiber. I felt pretty good for 12 months, then it changed to diarrhea, so I was sent to a GI doctor who sent me through testing and diagnosed me with IBS with diarrhea. I've been suffering with it for about 2 years now. Trying to get it under control with medication, it's been helping but its not under control yet. So, I've been working on my "diet", trying to stay away from foods that I know will trigger diarrhea, such as peanuts, dairy, and high fat foods. I'm trying to find some types of soy products with high protein in them, to keep me from being hungry all day. I'd love to hear any suggestion from others who have IBS-D or allergies to milk and peanut products.
Samybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 02:14 PM   #2  
Hello Friend

S/C/G: 230/205/140

Height: 5'7"

Hi sammybear.
have you been tested for ceiliac? I was diagnosed with this after having IBS simptoms, Sensitivity to dairy and peanuts are also comon with ceiliacs. I havent had any simptoms since going gluten free. Even peanuts dont bother me anymore.
Puncezilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 01:07 PM   #3  
Mel

That was my first thought too- I'd forego the testing and eat gluten-free for two weeks and see if your symptoms go away. Despite what some doctors say, it is NOT a radical, impossible lifestyle change. About 75% of people who are diagnosed with IBS are actually gluten intolerant, based on genetic testing studies done in Spain and Denmark.

Initially, this requires a lot of label reading if you eat many processed foods, but the health benefits are tremendous! If you do go gluten-free and improve, any testing will require you to go back on a gluten diet, 'tho, or your results will show a false negative.

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote