LA Weight Loss - 100 calorie packs

View Full Version : 100 calorie packs

greycrazy
03-10-2007, 01:30 AM
Hi everyone,I'm back again after a while.I was just wondering if we can have those 100 calorie packs.I saw 100 calorie pack of Doritos and was wondering if I can have that in place of LA bar.I know LAWL has little packs of chips and stuff like that that they sell.I don't think I'd try the sweet 100 cal packs since that has sugar in them.

Joni135
03-10-2007, 08:28 AM
Of course, the COD will tell you they are not allowed because they want you to buy their product. But I know folks here do use them and count them as 1 starch (that's what the LA Twists and LA Popcorn count as). Limit to 1 per day.
Welcome back!

greycrazy
03-10-2007, 11:14 AM
Thanx, it's great to be back.

marzbe
03-10-2007, 11:46 AM
According the Dietician they count as 1 starch. Which means they're okay to have. I personally love the 100 calorie English Muffins, which COD actually recommends. :D Let's be honest, who really ever wants to eat 1/2 of an english muffin here.

Also, I discovered last weekend that Stella Dora makes killer biscotti that are roughly the same calories as the breadsticks. :carrot: They're a lot cheaper than the LA biscotti and they only count as 1 starch!

greycrazy
03-10-2007, 11:58 AM
According the Dietician they count as 1 starch. Which means they're okay to have. I personally love the 100 calorie English Muffins, which COD actually recommends. :D Let's be honest, who really ever wants to eat 1/2 of an english muffin here.

Also, I discovered last weekend that Stella Dora makes killer biscotti that are roughly the same calories as the breadsticks. :carrot: They're a lot cheaper than the LA biscotti and they only count as 1 starch!

Opps I've been using the 100 calorie english muffins but only counting 1/2 as 1 starch:shrug: .There nutrition label isn't much different then the light english muffin.

Repo girl
03-10-2007, 12:05 PM
Where are you finding 100 cal english muffins? I love english muffins!

marzbe
03-10-2007, 04:47 PM
We've had them on LI for almost 6 months now. But, I am only about 10 miles from the Thomas Bakery! The WW ones have the same nutritional info, but I need the authentic ones. ;) Seeing that they sell out amazingly fast, I'm sure they'll be nationwide in a matter of months.

mamabanana
03-10-2007, 09:28 PM
I just got a pack, wow...now I feel lucky- LOL! That and the Hostess 100-cal packs, apparently they are super hard to find too:)

greycrazy
03-11-2007, 01:43 AM
I just got a pack, wow...now I feel lucky- LOL! That and the Hostess 100-cal packs, apparently they are super hard to find too:)

WOW,what do the Hostess count as??

So..I count a whole 100 cal english muffin as 1 starch?
Arn't the regular english muffins 100 cals too?

mamabanana
03-11-2007, 09:16 AM
I havent had them as an LAWL food, sorry:( Id say a fat and a starch though if you must:) On WW they are 1 point cos they haev 5g fiber! SO HARD to find though. The 100 cal english muffins, I was still using 1/2...anyone else know?

JennAPeach
03-12-2007, 03:43 PM
This is good to know, but I'm afriad to eat Doritos! They're a huge trigger for me! I love them so!! :o

So, if I eat a whole pita that's 110 cal with 8g fiber, is that also one starch? I was counting as two, but I'm happy to count as one if I can!

juliemarie
03-12-2007, 03:50 PM
Back to the original question-you shouldn't sub 100 cal packs for an LA lite-if that was what you meant. The cals, protein, etc aren't similar. But should be okay to sub as a starch on occasion (lots of sodium!).

Remember that the starches don't necessarily match up calorie for calorie. 1/2 english muffin= 1starch. 1/2 pita=1 starch. 1/2 lenders bagel=1starch. Follow the guidelines in your book-or ask your COD if you're confused.

bizlawchik
03-12-2007, 04:01 PM
I bought a box of the 100 calorie cool ranch doritos (my all-time favorite) and portioned them out here and there. It took me about 5 months to eat them all. It wasn't worth burning a starch for them since there were so few in the pack. I'd rather have a veggie burger on a 4" pita instead.

Dan2112
03-12-2007, 05:09 PM
So the english muffins are by the Thomas brand? I know our local Wally World has Thomas brand, so I'll look closer next time.. My all time favorite toast type food are english muffins, so this would be awesome for me...

To answer my own question, I googled it and here's what I found... No telling if they're in Albuquerque yet. Their zip code locator linked me to a page where they said I should contact them for location details.. And even better... Their 100 calorie multi grain muffin has as much protein as a LA Lite... The sodium count is lower than the "original" 100 calorie muffin...

http://www.thomas100calorie.com/

On a similar note, I've been trying to track down a Boar's Head retail distributor in my area so I can buy some of their 80g of sodium roast beef deli meat!

marzbe
03-12-2007, 05:18 PM
And before JM has a total kinip****z, I e-mailed the Dietcian on both the 100 calorie packs and the 100 calorie English Muffins. I'm that anal rententive. :dizzy: If I still have either e-mails save, I'll post them. :mag:

Cass, I totally agree with you, there's so many better things to spend the starch on! :crazy: Like the 1/2 cup of ice-cream!

juliemarie
03-12-2007, 05:43 PM
What are you talking about? Am I not allowed to answer questions like everyone else?

marzbe
03-12-2007, 07:13 PM
What are you talking about? Am I not allowed to answer questions like everyone else?

Figured I would just clarify where I got the info from! ;) I could just see me being totally :flame: for giving bad info!

Love how they censor out even if it's in a middle of a word, wonder what would happen if I typed assume?

Mama Nicole
03-12-2007, 08:13 PM
Hey JM.......good to see you :) I agree with you, and with Cassi............while 100 calorie packs might be allowed so to speak.....they most likely do not pack the nutrients that other starches have. Eating empty calories is NEVER a good idea while being OP. I tend to binge when I try to cheat the program. Just because the calorie count is similar..........it does not mean it is a good choice........especially if what is in the 100 calorie packs is a trigger food. Trigger food = Bad. That's my 2 cents.

mamabanana
03-12-2007, 08:19 PM
I was thinking that today as I stood in front of the Edy's sugar free light on sale at the store...I was like, WAIT...THIS IS ME, THIS IS ICE CREAM...Am I kidding?!!!! I walked away, I know better at this point, LOL!!!!!

Mama Nicole
03-12-2007, 08:24 PM
Keli...........and that is what we call a NSV my friend :) WTG!

mamabanana
03-12-2007, 08:48 PM
thanks!!!!

bizlawchik
03-13-2007, 07:37 AM
You know, it's funny how this program works. On WW I could have anything if I counted the points. Here, they simply tell you it's not on your plan right now, but all foods will be returned during maintenance. So you think you're all deprived and wonder if you picked the wrong plan because all of your friends are going out to eat whatever they want and drinking at happy hour, etc., when what really going on is you're learning how to make wise choices every day. We don't eat 3 100 calorie packs in a day, while skipping our fruits to save points. We aren't skimping on protein that our bodies need in order to drink more alcohol. We are feeding our bodies the wholesome natural foods it was made to have. And by the plan denying us access to those things during the weight loss (or "learning" phase), we are actually not deprived, but rather are developing new habits. Wow. Who'da thunk?

donisha81
03-13-2007, 08:36 AM
Cassi, I totally agree! I've also tried WW and it was just way to easy to mess up for me, I am the type of person that needs structure though. I would totally blow all of my points on junk I should not have. Good post Cassi. :)

bizlawchik
03-13-2007, 08:39 AM
Nisha - Thanks. Glad to see you here.

Seagal
03-13-2007, 12:17 PM
You know, it's funny how this program works. On WW I could have anything if I counted the points. Here, they simply tell you it's not on your plan right now, but all foods will be returned during maintenance. So you think you're all deprived and wonder if you picked the wrong plan because all of your friends are going out to eat whatever they want and drinking at happy hour, etc., when what really going on is you're learning how to make wise choices every day. We don't eat 3 100 calorie packs in a day, while skipping our fruits to save points. We aren't skimping on protein that our bodies need in order to drink more alcohol. We are feeding our bodies the wholesome natural foods it was made to have. And by the plan denying us access to those things during the weight loss (or "learning" phase), we are actually not deprived, but rather are developing new habits. Wow. Who'da thunk?Hey Cassi and All,
Can you tell me if different things are introduced as the program goes on? I noticed that my restaurant list is fairly limited and some of the restaurants aren't in my area (even though I can probably figure out the right choices to make in restaurants that are not listed and to stay out of the tempting ones for now!)? Or is that just what happens once you hit maintenance?

bizlawchik
03-13-2007, 12:23 PM
That's it for now. You get everything back during maintenance. As the program goes along and you get more comfortable, you will be able to make restaurant choices easier. Also, you can print out a menu from most places and take it to your COD and they can help you.

I stick w/grilled tilapia and veggies most of the time. Or Applebees because I know their WW menu is easy to convert.

Kimphin
03-13-2007, 12:26 PM
Vic - additional foods are not introduced while you are in "weight loss" phase, they are added back during maintenance. At that point, foods are added back slowly so that you can see how they affect your body. The restaurant guide is updated every now and then, it just hits on a few of the major chains. If I end up at a place that is not on the list, I try to find a similar menu item from the restaurant guide. If that fails, grilled fish and veggies work for me.

Kimphin
03-13-2007, 12:27 PM
Cassi- Creepy!

marzbe
03-13-2007, 04:53 PM
Cassi, I totally agree! I've also tried WW and it was just way to easy to mess up for me, I am the type of person that needs structure though. I would totally blow all of my points on junk I should not have. Good post Cassi. :)

10 M&M's = 1 point
1/4 pound of gummy bears = 7 points

Need I say anymore about my experiecne on WW. I knew how to tweak the points so I could have the junk. I even had leaders in meetings who would give samples of a day so you could drink at a BBQ every weekend. If the 100 calorie packs were around, I'd probably be eating 7 of them a day on WW (yes, I'm a reformed carb addict :o ).

JennAPeach
03-13-2007, 05:48 PM
And for anyone interested, I did email the nutritionist about the pitas and got this response:

My question:
I was wondering what the exchange would be for the Western Bagel Alternative Pitas. They're about 6" in diameter. The nutritional info is as follows: Serving Size: 1 Pita (2 oz) Cal : 110 Total Fat: .5g Sodium: 410mg Total Carb: 26g Dietary Fiber: 8g Sugars: 1g Protein: 7g I just want to be sure I'm counting them correctly (have been using one half as one starch). I'm on the Red 1 without LA Lites (soy sensitive) plan.

Response:
You may count 1/2 serving size of this product as 1 starch exchange, no more than 1-2 times per week, as it is not typically recommended during weight loss. Monitor your weight loss with its use.

So, I guess my plans for using these every day this week are foiled! Ah well... on to another starch.

KrispieD
03-13-2007, 06:24 PM
I too did WW and would bank my points for not so great foods. I miss the fact that everything was listed, the restaurant list was huge etc.. but I also did not lose as much and didn't keep it off.. I found the hardest thing to learn is that for my body and I have to avoid some things all together but it's worth every second when I can put on something and feel good.. a day of feeling sassy is much better than 5 minutes of satisfying a craving!

Kansas
03-13-2007, 08:56 PM
I love the 100 calorie packs but according to the dietician from LA at Home - only the Wheat Thins are on plan at 1 starch. All others are not nutritionally sound and should be avoided. Bummer!!

Seagal
03-13-2007, 09:56 PM
Thanks for the info on the restaurant menus. I am on the road and eat lunch out every day. I did go to Red Lobster today (my first time in a Red Lobster...can you believe it?!) and it was actually pretty good. I chose the grilled shrimp skewers with veggies and a salad. Nice and safe.

As for WW...it is a great program but I just think everyone has to figure out what works for them. I was on last year and lost around 15 pounds but then plateaued for months and months. When I decided to check out LAWL I saw that they had an online program but clearly I need the accountability so that's when I decided to go in instead. I am really planning on the 3x weekly weigh-ins to keep me honest.