Support Groups - 40-Something Group

View Full Version : 40-Something Group

Volleyjen
03-09-2007, 01:06 AM
Anyone interested in joining a 40 something group?

Please let me know,

Jen - I'm new here :)

Just Being Me
03-09-2007, 01:19 AM
That would be great Jen!

Volleyjen
03-09-2007, 01:33 AM
Hi, that's great! What is your name? I'm Jennifer (Jen) from Michigan.

I hope that others will post here too.

Did you just start trying to lose weight? I've been trying off and on since 2004. But I am determined to lose weight this year. I am doing Self magazine's Challenge as well as doing exercise videos/dvds and watching what I eat.

How are you doing?

Jen

Is that really me
03-09-2007, 01:27 PM
Hey I'm 40 something, can I come over and play?

I found 3FC and have been doing this whole weight loss thing (this time around) since January and am down 8 lbs. so far. Very slow going. I've been on this road b/4 (lost 20 lbs. about 3 yrs. ago but found them again :?: ). I was on a few other threads that have dwindled away and would love one w/chicklets my age.

I'm married 20 yrs. this May (holy :moo:), three kids (d-16, s-13, d-10) am a mostly SAHM. I work part-time as a pharmaceutical auditor. Oh, and I have a GREAT dog!! Hope to meet you all soon.

Jo

Volleyjen
03-09-2007, 01:51 PM
Hi Jo, Welcome to the 40's LOL. I'm glad that you joined us.

I need to lose about 80 or 90 lbs. and this time I WILL do it!

What kind of exercise(s) do you do? Are you following any special diet?

Let me know when you get a chance and take care,

Jen

Is that really me
03-12-2007, 09:52 AM
I started out w/using Fitday to track my calories and exercise. Basically trying to keep the calories around 1500 per day. I started w/the treadmill exercising. Walking at first then a slow jog. Kind of stalled out w/the treadmill -- mentally had a hard time convincing myself to get on the thing for 50 minutes at a shot 5 days/week! I started lifting weights about 3 weeks ago. I'm also trying to do high intensity interval training (HIIT) on the treadmill 3x/wk. Now that the weather is getting nicer I can get the dog out for a walk a lot during the week. The past 5 wks or so that rarely happened. I also walk her about 4 or 5 hours after my morning workouts so it helps boots my metabolism again.

The eating part has always been harder for me vs. exercising. I was doing really well but then stop using Fitday (figured I could just do it mentally). But there is something about actually seeing the numbers that helps tremendously w/keeping on track. I'm going back to Fitday today. I haven't been a piggy or anything but just eating a little too much. The scale has been very reluctent to budge as a result!

How are you doing? What type of plan are you following? The exercise I had to start off slowly doing but acclimated pretty quickly. I exercise M-F but not on weekends. With spring just around the corner, I'm sure all the outside stuff will count as exercise though! Am thinking about scrubbing the screens and getting the windows washed today.

Jo

Volleyjen
03-12-2007, 11:30 AM
Hi Jo, I'm doing good. I usually don't do too bad with the food except for this weekend I was pretty bad but today I'm back on track.

I have a problem with doing formal exercise consistently. I'm pretty active though, I play volleyball 2 nights a week and I'm on 3 bowling leagues so they keep me out of trouble (but active.)

I live in Michigan so Spring is still a few weeks away. It's suppose to be warmer this week so I'm hoping to get outside and go for a walk.

I guess I'm a little wierd because I like walking on my treadmill, I either watch soaps I've taped or listen to music. I do a variety of walks so that keeps them from being boring.

I'm not following any weight loss program, I'm just trying to eat more veges etc...

I gotta go to work now so take care and hope to hear back from you.

Jen

Is that really me
03-12-2007, 03:06 PM
I know exactly how you feel about the treadmill. I find that people either love it or hate it. I think it just got to me because it was the only exercise I was doing for 6 or 7 weeks straight. My legs were constantly tired cause I never bothered to give them a break!

Just got back from walking the dog and I actually did scrub the screens too. Very nice out but my guess is winter isn't quite over just yet. Probably a few more weeks till we can count on 50 degrees and up.

Jo

Is that really me
03-13-2007, 12:15 PM
Well, got back on the treadmill this a.m. Having only done some HIIT over the past 3-4 wks on it, I was truly amazed how good it felt. My legs feel really strong from all the squats and lunges I've been doing and I was able to run at a steady 4.6 or so. I intervaled it up (as high as 6.0) for short 1 minute sprints. Will walk the dog a little later today. Am off to clean some windows so I can get the screens in. You know what that means, right? Yeah, it'll probably snow!! ;)

Jo

Is that really me
03-19-2007, 11:20 AM
Hey, is anyone still posting here? Hellooooooo?????

Jo

Beach Patrol
03-19-2007, 05:16 PM
I would like to see a 40-something area as well. It truly gets harder after a certain "age" .... those darn hormones & "the Pause".... I think we should have our own "age group".

What do we have to do to convince 3FC to give us a category of our own?

Volleyjen
03-20-2007, 01:35 AM
I'm still posting here but they are mostly just replies to other people's posts.

How would we go about setting up our own 40-something group? If you know, can you please do it, I'm new here and I don't know how.

Thanks,

Jen

Is that really me
03-20-2007, 11:05 AM
" How can I get my own forum?

We've had several requests for more forums recently. At this time, we are not adding anymore forums. In fact, we are downsizing a little. A lot of members have said that our extensive list of forum is somewhat confusing and they would prefer fewer forums to make it easier to use. Therefore, we do not plan to add more forums right now. We may, in the future, add more forums for large groups that have stood the test of time.

Most of our forums support dedicated threads for groups or topics, and that is the best route to take right now."

This is from Suzanne3FC. Even though they are not adding any new forums, we can just keep posting on this thread, ok? The more you post the more it's at the top of the list and maybe other 40-somethings will join in. How 'bout it?

Jo

Volleyjen
03-20-2007, 12:58 PM
I guess we have no choice since you won't be adding any new forums.

I just feel as people get older it's more difficult to lose weight and it would be nice to chat with people "in the same boat" as I am.

Anyway, what problems have you or anyone here have noticed as they've started getting older?

Jen

Volleyjen
03-20-2007, 01:01 PM
Recently, I found out that I may have a thyroid problem, I will find out for sure tmw (Wednesday.) Also, although I am still over-weight I found out that I have fibroids so I look even heavier than I really am... it has depressed me quite a bit because it's one thing when I've over-eatten or I don't exercise and I get big BUT it's another thing when something decides to grow inside of me and there's nothing I can do about it --- I will see another gyn tmw for a second opinion, the first one didn't want to do anything!

What have been your experience as you've entered your 40's?

Jen

kiwichic
03-21-2007, 05:18 AM
I would also like to post here. I'm 40 something.
I found out last year I had a fribroid and I have to say that I didn't know that it affected your weight :(
I think I better do some reading.
I used to be really fit and now I hate that I am so not ...
my plans are to be fit enough to play some kind of sport.
and to make exercise a constant in my life without all the groaning that at the moment comes with it :)
I'm doing yoga , although it's a beginers tape and walking , plus I'm starting back at the gym. I hope to add to this as I have wanted to start running.

Is that really me
03-21-2007, 02:58 PM
Jen, what happened at the docs? Did it turn out that you do have a thyroid problem? Also, can't fibroids be removed?

Welcome kiwi! :welcome2:

I know one change that being older has bought for me -- if I had done all this exercising twenty years ago maybe I wouldn't have an extra 30+ lbs. on me now! I weighed about 130 my whole adult life but was not in shape or anything. My weight gains w/3 pregnancies are what got me into the shape I'm in now. Lost everything after the 1st was born but not after the 2nd and 3rd. Oh, plus another 10 lbs. added for good measure! It seems to take forever to me to get the scale to drop now! :mad:

Another changed I've noticed is that I'm using alot more moisturizer on my face. BUT, the past week I've been really, really conscious of my water intake and am drinking like 72 oz. or more a day. My skin may not be quite as dry. Hmmh, moisturizing from the inside; what a novel idea!

What have you guys been encountering?

Jo

BTW, I didn't say there couldn't be a "40-something" forum. I was just quoting from a post from one of the moderaters at 3FC!

kiwichic
03-21-2007, 06:48 PM
Hi Jo
well glass's :( I've had to buy some to read the small print.
As you will know they say you have to cut back on some cals as you get older as your body doesn't use them as much. But keeping a sporty lifestyle can help with that.

I also put on with all my babies, I sure wished that I had had more infomation
back then. I lived on chocolate with all my pregnacies .
I also find I need to drink more water otherwise I find my skin dries out a lot.

Volleyjen
03-22-2007, 05:37 AM
Hi Jo and everyone else. Good news, bad news... I don't have a thyroid problem. Bad news is that the Dr. I went to for a second opinion recommended a hysterectomy (removal of my uterus) for the fibroids I have.

A little about fibroids - they usually don't grow to be as BIG as mine, 20 to 50% of women in their 30's and 40's have them but they don't know it because most don't cause symptoms. If they cause symptoms it's usually heavy bleeding and treatments other than hysterectomy are available. If you want to know more go to - www.fibroidfacts.com (http://www.fibroidfacts.com) that's a web-site my Dr. gave me.

About my fibroids - I have 2 fibroids, the largest one is 12cm and is on top of my uterus but it isn't in my uterine wall it's called a subserosal fibroid and it's the size of a cantelope melon. The other fibroid is a subserosal fibroid but this one is smaller only 3.5 cm but it is growing from a stalk that is attached to the left side of my uterus.

So now I have more research and thinking to do before this thing gets taken care of. I will be going in for another ultrasound as I have 2 cysts of my left ovary that need to be checked.

Life pretty much sucks for me now!

Oh, by the way, the Dr. said that my stomach (because of the fibroids) is about the size of someone who is 5 months pregnant!

Jen

kiwichic
03-22-2007, 05:55 AM
yes it does suck, but keep positive please as it make your days better for you.

FindingMe2
03-22-2007, 07:58 AM
Hi I am a newbie, this is gonna be one of my hot spots..how do I subscibe to a thread?

I figured it out...yeaaaaaaaaa

kotapaint
03-22-2007, 08:59 AM
I tried a 40 sumpin at the beginning of March, but it didn't fly or I wasn't posting in the right spot or something...who knows. Anyway I went to the Journals and starting posting there and chattin with the ladies who regularly post. But I'd like to chat with ya'll; we do have different challenges than say, the 20 somethings. :)

at 46, I've got more aches and pains from doing routine tasks which didn't use to hurt!

I had fibroids, but I did have the uterus eventually removed. Unfortunately it wasn't a boon weight loss! It apparently was so big that it wasn't possible to remove it vaginally...ick. too much information! But I had 2 C-sections, so what's the big deal to open the zipper one more time? It's been 10 years since that happened and I don't miss the periods for sure. Menopause hit about two years ago or peri-menopause, whatever. It stinks. And it's harder to lose weight and keep it off. Night sweats are a pain. Mood Swings? Like I would notice? Don't we all swing? LOL

Talk to you soon ladies. Good to meet you.

Is that really me
03-22-2007, 02:52 PM
Jen - so sorry to hear about the fibroids. Can they just remove them or do they grow back? What causes them to grow in the first place? I'd do a ton of research b/4 surgery (I'm extremely leery of doctors). Perhaps a second opinion?

Welcome everyone!!! :wel3fc: I agree; 40+ has many different challenges than 20. So glad more chicklets are jumping in on this thread.

Kota - are you taking anything for your symptoms? When my oldest was born (she's 16) my periods started getting goofy. Irregular and such. Of course, the doc just gives me the pill and says "yeah, that's life" :( A few years ago it seemed to get worse and i started taking a vitamin called "new phase". It's suppose to reduce menopause symptoms (I don't have any yet) but I took it hoping it would help regulate my periods -- and it seems to be working.

Kiwi - yeah, that darn presbyopia! :lol: I had bifocals put into my glasses last year. My husband is worse off though -- he HAS to wear them; I don't -- yet!!! :D

Jo

FindingMe2
03-26-2007, 07:03 AM
This weekend I was kinda bad, we had a cookout...so all grilled meats and seafood...I didn't snack much...
But Sunday we had dinner after church...I had two chicken legs (fried) small serving of greens, string beans, macncheese, corn bread, pound cake....

I did get my walk in Sunday evening....having a hard time with my water intake

kiwichic
03-27-2007, 02:14 AM
eat before so that the smells and look of the food don't get to you so much.
power through the water, if you have a small bottle of water in your hand you tend to sip on it without thinking about it to much. So just try to keep the water with you.

A big plate of seafood and corn on the cob and b b q'd vegie's will fill you up.
Hope you have better luck at the next bbq.

Is that really me
03-28-2007, 11:15 AM
The past 2 weeks I've really made a conscious effort to increase the water. We have 17 oz. glasses at home so I fill them about 4 or 5 times a day. We also have Aquafina 24 oz. water bottles (for hubby and kids for work and school). I pulled one of them last week and drank it and refilled it several times throughout the day. It's not a sports bottle top, just regular. Well, for some bizzare reason, I chug water out of the bottle. So much so that my stomach really, really ached from it! :dizzy: I'm now sticking w/water bottles when I'm not home. My long-winded point? Oh, that's right I rambled on some, didn't I? :D Try drinking water out of different types of containers. I personally like glass but will use the water bottles when necessary. Even a different shaped glass makes a difference - God only know why :) - but we have two different types of 17 oz. glasses and I always choose one over the other. Go figure!! :dizzy:

Jo

Volleyjen
03-28-2007, 01:49 PM
Hi Jo, for me the container of water doesn't make any difference BUT the water has to be ice cold, otherwise I won't drink it!

Jen

47yo
03-28-2007, 05:26 PM
Hi, can I join? I'm 47....when I was 40 I weighed 125. I yo-yo'd a lot, but always knew that if I just started exercising and seriously watching what I ate, I could always take off the weight with no problem. I got married almost 4 years ago (first time! I'm a divorce lawyer and skittish!). After that, I gained weight...and gained and gained. My husband and I are "foodies" and...well, wineos! We consume a fair amount of red wine. So - now I can't seem to take off the weight no matter what I do! I don't know whether it's that I screwed up my metabolism by all of that yo-yo dieting, whether it's perimenopause, whether it's just the fact that I'm older, a combination of all of the above - or that I keep drinking the wine! I do take it into my calorie count....anyway, I started lifting weights 3 weeks ago, started jogging on the treadmill 2 weeks ago and this week I started seriously watching what I eat - again!

kiwichic
03-29-2007, 06:33 AM
I buy a six pack of 1.5 litre bottles and just drink straight from the bottles. I also bought a smaller bottle to take out with me as it's easier to carry around.
Hi 47yr can I have your puppy :)
I have seen sometimes when people get together as a couple that they tend to put on weight as they spend more time together at home eating and drinking....
sound familiar ... is that you :)
perhaps you can add going to the gym together . Don't tell me he didn't put on any ???

47yo
03-29-2007, 04:46 PM
Hi, Kiwichic - yeah, the puppy really is hilarious, isn't she? Actually, she's a dog now, but every bit as funny - fun to watch. My husband and I keep saying "whatever would have happened to her if someone else adopted her?" She truly lives a dog's life of luxury.

As for the weight issue - we lived together before we got married, spent a fair amount sitting at home, eating and drinking - the problem is it's a hobby! And yes - he did put on weight. Men! The only reason it bothers HIM is because it makes his clothes uncomfortable! Whereas I have become the "invisible woman" - no one notices me standing at a checkout counter, the same person can see me twice in 5 minutes and not recognize me....I feel like I'm lower than low - a nonentity!

However, I'm feeling really determined to get back to being an entity, at least!

kiwichic
03-29-2007, 05:58 PM
well you sound like some one that is going to make this work, you sound determined. Don't let him buy clothes in a bigger size or he might just keep expanding :)
Do you like exercise / sport ?

47yo
03-30-2007, 03:31 PM
Yes, I feel pretty determined - I just hope I can hang onto that! Actually, I hate to exercise, but I do believe it is really mandatory, so I'm doing it. I don't mind lifting weights - it's the aerobics I can't stand.

Funny you should say that about not letting him get new pants - I'm always telling him to get new ones that fit and he won't do it!

Are you in New Zealand or from there?

kiwichic
03-30-2007, 09:09 PM
from New Zealand and if he gets new pants he might never fit back into his old ones.

70sgirlus
04-11-2007, 01:34 PM
Is there are 40's something group? I 'd like to join if there is, I'll be 42 in July.

kiwichic
04-12-2007, 07:54 AM
did you know that exercise can become fun even if you have been some one that hates it.
You just have to start give it some time and before you know it......
So give it ago it may take longer then a few weeks... but in the end you may end up doing some think that you love .